2020-2021 Schedule

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: 2020-2021 Schedule

Post by gopherfun83 » Thu Feb 18 7:19 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Feb 18 1:15 pm
If the Gophers go 4-0:
17-5-0
(51 points - no longer relevant on its own)
.773 winning percentage
.773 point percentage

If the BADgers go 6-0:
18-6-0
(55 points - no longer relevant on its own)
.750 winning percentage
.764 point percentage

In both situations wisconsin's argument would be had the Gophers played PSU, they would not have gone 2-0 and therefore they should be the champions. This may lead to the behind the curtain calculation Hockey East is doing to be used for the Big Ten.
BADgers will get swept this weekend

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 420 times
Been liked: 573 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Feb 18 11:18 pm

A thought I had, (yes, it hurt).
It was previously mentioned that the March 12-13 weekend was saved as make-up for potential Big Ten games missed, however as per CHN I do not see any games scheduled. And with the comment that the Big Ten tourney schedule as is could possibly be altered - do you think there’s any possibility they usurp that weekend to spread out games to avoid three games in three days for the teams that make it to the championship? I would imagine they probably wouldn’t it spread it out that much for travel/hotel costs but curious what’s going to happen and when we’ll find out.

I for one am hoping the tourney stays the three days currently scheduled (for selfish reasons of being able to see all the games). Besides, it’s not like it’s any different than what happened in the final five - or a first round best of three weekend. As long as we win the season and have the bye, it’s all good! :)

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri Feb 19 4:31 am

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 451 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Feb 19 8:27 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 18 11:18 pm
A thought I had, (yes, it hurt).
It was previously mentioned that the March 12-13 weekend was saved as make-up for potential Big Ten games missed, however as per CHN I do not see any games scheduled. And with the comment that the Big Ten tourney schedule as is could possibly be altered - do you think there’s any possibility they usurp that weekend to spread out games to avoid three games in three days for the teams that make it to the championship? I would imagine they probably wouldn’t it spread it out that much for travel/hotel costs but curious what’s going to happen and when we’ll find out.

I for one am hoping the tourney stays the three days currently scheduled (for selfish reasons of being able to see all the games). Besides, it’s not like it’s any different than what happened in the final five - or a first round best of three weekend. As long as we win the season and have the bye, it’s all good! :)
Not a bad idea. Certainly anything is possible in this crazy year. There are still some games listed as "postponed" and some games as "canceled". Not sure if they still have plans to try to make up some of the games for Michigan and Penn St, as those 2 teams are the ones that have missed the most. Also, TV for the B1G tourney may be set already for the 3 day event. Again, the new normal is one week at a time.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Feb 19 9:19 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Feb 18 5:48 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Thu Feb 18 5:35 pm
What would Wisco want the conference to do? Aside from using points percentages, the only solution I can come up with that makes any kind of sense is to double the weight of the season opening series, but since we swept that series, that only helps us.
Use the Hockey East calculation, which I'm not sure we would win or not. Basically, they will ask whatever can help them jump us.
A PairWise Ranking or KRACH ranking for the conference is what is suggested as it takes into account more than just points gained--record against common opponents, head-to-head and RPI. If the B10 had their stuff together, they could mimic PWR specific to the B10 or just go with the KRACH which is essentially winning ratio x strength of schedule.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Feb 19 9:46 am

Vegoe wrote:
Fri Feb 19 9:19 am
Bonin21 wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
What would Wisco want the conference to do? Aside from using points percentages, the only solution I can come up with that makes any kind of sense is to double the weight of the season opening series, but since we swept that series, that only helps us.
Use the Hockey East calculation, which I'm not sure we would win or not. Basically, they will ask whatever can help them jump us.
A PairWise Ranking or KRACH ranking for the conference is what is suggested as it takes into account more than just points gained--record against common opponents, head-to-head and RPI. If the B10 had their stuff together, they could mimic PWR specific to the B10 or just go with the KRACH which is essentially winning ratio x strength of schedule.
Could the Gophers go 4-0 and lose the title because of this?
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Fri Feb 19 10:18 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Feb 19 9:46 am
Vegoe wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/pairwise/

You could play with the CHN tool to modify results and figure it out for sure, but just having MN and WI win out agnostic of other results for PWR means Minnesota would finish ahead. I don't think there is a KRACH predictor out there.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Fri Feb 19 10:30 am

Sweep MSU and split Michigan, finish 3-1 and I think all will be ok. WI could go 6-0, but I think there's a loss in there.
JWG :M:

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Feb 19 11:33 am

Vegoe wrote:
Fri Feb 19 10:18 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Feb 19 9:46 am
Vegoe wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/pairwise/

You could play with the CHN tool to modify results and figure it out for sure, but just having MN and WI win out agnostic of other results for PWR means Minnesota would finish ahead. I don't think there is a KRACH predictor out there.
If we want to play with this would we have to set all Arizona State games against all teams to a tie or something? Cuz the Big Ten calculation would not include those games.
Last edited by Buzzkill Bonin on Fri Feb 19 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Feb 19 11:36 am

Vegoe wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Isn’t SOS this year just going to be reverse standings? At least within the conference? If we beat Mich St, they add a loss and we add a win. Our SOS just dipped because we played a team with an added loss and theirs increased because they played someone with an added win?

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sat Feb 20 9:48 pm

So I know this has been brought up already but is there really no way the Gophers can find someone to play next weekend? I guess the break might be a good thing for resting some players but it's too bad we have to go two weeks without Gopher Hockey

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Feb 20 9:54 pm

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Sat Feb 20 9:48 pm
So I know this has been brought up already but is there really no way the Gophers can find someone to play next weekend? I guess the break might be a good thing for resting some players but it's too bad we have to go two weeks without Gopher Hockey
Let’s not risk any more covid cancels. Rest up for a postseason run!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Feb 20 9:57 pm

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Sat Feb 20 9:48 pm
There is no way because of B1G protocols. I know people want games next weekend, but I would much rather they play it safe than take a chance at playing a team outside the B1G and risk anything. Plus, if tBob thought it could work, I'm sure he would do it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Steve MN » Sat Feb 20 10:04 pm

And, Bob had said earlier that he would have preferred an off weekend toward the end of the season. Now, they definitely get one before the series vs Michigan, and maybe one after? That next weekend had been slated for make-up games, but if they're at the point of not making up all the games, how many will they try to make up?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Feb 20 10:07 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Feb 20 10:04 pm
And, Bob had said earlier that he would have preferred an off weekend toward the end of the season. Now, they definitely get one before the series vs Michigan, and maybe one after? That next weekend had been slated for make-up games, but if they're at the point of not making up all the games, how many will they try to make up?
The Wisconsin announcers hinted that they might move the dates of the B1G tourney. Maybe they will move it up a week and then have an open week before the NCAA's

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Sat Feb 20 10:09 pm

The only game I could see being made up is the one UM/MSU game.

I could also see a curveball and they cancel the existing UM/MSU game and use that weekend as the first round of playoffs like last year if enough coaches hate the idea of 3 games in 3 days.

Of course, then, hopefully the Gopher still don't have to play...
Last edited by Buzzkill Bonin on Sat Feb 20 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loserville, USA

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Feb 20 10:09 pm

Can we please just find out soon?!

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Feb 20 10:17 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Feb 20 10:07 pm
Steve MN wrote:
The Wisconsin announcers hinted that they might move the dates of the B1G tourney. Maybe they will move it up a week and then have an open week before the NCAA's
I think it's more likely they spread out the games a bit. Instead of games Thursday, Friday, and Saturday maybe they do games Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Give an off day between games. That's probably why they didn't want to schedule games on that open weekend. A bit unfair to make a team play Friday and Saturday then have to travel to Notre Dame to play Tuesday, if that is indeed the plan.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Sun Feb 21 12:41 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Feb 20 10:07 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Bob also hinted in the radio postgame that he's no longer worried about the end of the season schedule and they'll have plenty of breaks. It was difficult to quote him on what he meant, but basically he knows they haven't made the annoucment yet, but there will be plenty of time off for his team that he hopes has done enough to earn an NCAA bid.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Feb 22 7:07 pm

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Feb 22 9:21 pm

Ugh. Please just decide something soon!

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 23 9:23 am

The Friday Michigan game will be on FSN+ at 7pm. (From what I heard)

Still do not know anything about the Sat game yet.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 23 9:57 am

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:23 am
The Friday Michigan game will be on FSN+ at 7pm. (From what I heard)

Still do not know anything about the Sat game yet.
If they want it on regular FSN on Saturday they would have to play the game at 3:30 or so. My guess game 2 will also be on FSN+ at 7pm.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 23 10:02 am

The TWolves 2nd half schedule is not out yet, but FSN shows them on at 9pm that night on FSN. The Wild play at 6pm that night on FSN, but that is not showing on my TV guide yet... So it MAY be that the Wild & Wolves can stay on FSN and MN on FSN+ that evening.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 23 10:10 am

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 23 10:02 am
The TWolves 2nd half schedule is not out yet, but FSN shows them on at 9pm that night on FSN. The Wild play at 6pm that night on FSN, but that is not showing on my TV guide yet... So it MAY be that the Wild & Wolves can stay on FSN and MN on FSN+ that evening.
I think it is NBA all star weekend, so the Wolves are off that weekend. That opens up FSN+ for sure.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 23 10:18 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Feb 23 10:10 am
Jupiter wrote:
I think it is NBA all star weekend, so the Wolves are off that weekend. That opens up FSN+ for sure.
I have no clue... Just looking at my TV guide, which is probably wrong.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Feb 23 1:00 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Feb 23 10:10 am
Jupiter wrote:
Yep this is correct. Guessing a pair of 7 pm games on the plus.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Feb 25 8:36 am

The Gophers vs Michigan game on Friday is showing up as a replay on FSN on Saturday, which means it will be shown on FSN+ on Friday as Jup said. No replays of the Saturday game on FSN or the guide yet. My guide still has TBA both days on FSN+, but for me that is usually not updated until a couple of days in advance. BTN is TBA for my guide for most of Saturday as well.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Thu Feb 25 1:21 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Feb 25 8:36 am
The Gophers vs Michigan game on Friday is showing up as a replay on FSN on Saturday, which means it will be shown on FSN+ on Friday as Jup said. No replays of the Saturday game on FSN or the guide yet. My guide still has TBA both days on FSN+, but for me that is usually not updated until a couple of days in advance. BTN is TBA for my guide for most of Saturday as well.
Sounds like BTN is trying to figure it out for Saturday, but not set yet.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 46 times

Post by thinkbui » Sun Feb 28 5:59 pm

It looks like it's another replay of Friday's game, but FSN shows it on Saturday at 3PM on my DirecTV Guide. Again it's a replay, but it could open up the possibility of a matinee game live. If FSN does use that time slot to pick up Saturday's game, they might need to move Friday's game a little earlier too.

My DirecTV Guide for BTN still shows TBA for much of the day/evening, though BTN.com lists wrestling coverage for a lot of that time.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Feb 28 6:07 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Sun Feb 28 5:59 pm
It looks like it's another replay of Friday's game, but FSN shows it on Saturday at 3PM on my DirecTV Guide. Again it's a replay, but it could open up the possibility of a matinee game live. If FSN does use that time slot to pick up Saturday's game, they might need to move Friday's game a little earlier too.

My DirecTV Guide for BTN still shows TBA for much of the day/evening, though BTN.com lists wrestling coverage for a lot of that time.
It shows Fox Sports Detroit showing Friday's game at 7pm, so that will be a FSN+ game.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sun Feb 28 6:12 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Feb 28 6:07 pm
thinkbui wrote:

It shows Fox Sports Detroit showing Friday's game at 7pm, so that will be a FSN+ game.
I was talking about Saturday.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Feb 28 6:20 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Sun Feb 28 6:12 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Feb 28 6:07 pm
thinkbui wrote:

I was talking about Saturday.
I know, but just wanted to confirm your post that Friday's game will be shown on FSN+ and Fox Sports Detroit to lessen the confusion others may have to where it will be most likely be shown.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 01 3:26 pm

4pm start on Saturday.

No info on TV yet.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 01 3:32 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 01 3:26 pm
4pm start on Saturday.

No info on TV yet.
Come on Jup. Use your power and make some calls. :wink:
That would make it an FSN+ game, as Wild start at 6pm on FSN or a BTN game between sessions of the wrestling tourney.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Mon Mar 01 3:52 pm

This is only a guess, but right now I'm thinking BTN because of how much is on the line this weekend.

The replay of Friday's game at 3PM on FSN is still nagging at me a little though. Like I said before, it feels like it was intended to be a placeholder.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 01 3:54 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Mon Mar 01 3:52 pm
The replay of Friday's game at 3PM on FSN is still nagging at me a little though. Like I said before, it feels like it was intended to be a placeholder.
Or it's just a replay
Loserville, USA

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 01 4:14 pm

BTN has a "to be announced" hole in their schedule from 2 to 6:30 on Saturday, so I think there is a decent chance it will be at 4 there to flow into the Big Ten wrestling at 6:30

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Laxref » Mon Mar 01 4:52 pm

Have the times been set for the BADgers/Sparty series this weekend? Maybe BTN is trying to put together a Saturday afternoon doubleheader with Wisconsin in the first game and us in the second?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 01 5:05 pm

Laxref wrote:
Mon Mar 01 4:52 pm
Have the times been set for the BADgers/Sparty series this weekend? Maybe BTN is trying to put together a Saturday afternoon doubleheader with Wisconsin in the first game and us in the second?
Friday at 5pm central, Saturday at 4pm central

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Mon Mar 01 5:08 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Mar 01 3:54 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Mon Mar 01 3:52 pm
Or it's just a replay
It'd be weird if the game ends up on FSN+ with an hour overlap with the replay. But this year is the year for it.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 01 6:37 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 01 5:05 pm
Laxref wrote:
Mon Mar 01 4:52 pm
Friday at 5pm central, Saturday at 4pm central
New update--- As everything this season, things are fluid.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 01 10:17 pm

If no TV why 4pm?