Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Movies

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sun Jan 26 4:54 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Sun Jan 26 4:14 pm
Saw 1917 today. Very good movie, but doesn't quite make it into the great category. Very well made and acted, and visually stunning for sure.
Saw it as well today. Kind of a WW1 Saving Private Ryan.
The rest of your take is spot on.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Jan 28 9:16 pm

Triple 9:

A gang of criminals and corrupt cops plan the murder of a police officer in order to pull off their biggest heist yet across town.

Decent action movie. Loved the cast, too. It's a pretty straightfoward movie, worth a gander.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Sun Feb 02 7:15 pm

JoJo Rabbit
Wasn't quite sure what to expect...the trailers I'd seen made it seem like a comedy, but the topic is far from comical (10yo Nazi-in-training, while his mother hides a Jew in their attic). It was definitely funny, but there were some sad and serious undertones. I absolutely loved this movie. I would highly recommend seeing it.

On another note, I saw the live action nominated shorts yesterday as well. Having seen them a couple other times in the past, it's apparently that these shorts definitely have a more sad and depressing plot. This year's nominees weren't any different. Thankfully, though, the last we saw was "Nefta Football Club" and it probably some much need comedic value. Not funny so much as just funny circumstances.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Feb 03 4:16 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sun Jan 26 4:54 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Saw 1917 today. Very good movie, but doesn't quite make it into the great category. Very well made and acted, and visually stunning for sure.
Good movie, visually stunning. Is it Patton, Platoon, or Saving Private Ryan level...not even close IMHO. But worth a see at the theater.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 03 9:43 pm

Shot Caller:

A newly released prisoner is forced by the leaders of his gang to orchestrate a major crime with a brutal rival gang on the streets of Southern California.

The plot is paint-by-the-numbers. the interest here is the main character himself, and shows what can happen under certain circumstances. How a person changes, whether it's by behavior and/or by way of thinking. Lots of morality subplots going on, and while you know the main character does bad things, you understand why he does them, and you do end up feeling a tinge of sympathy for him. while also saying he's getting what he deserves for what he's done.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 05 8:05 pm

R.I.P. Kirk Douglas
https://www.thewrap.com/kirk-douglas-st ... acus-dies/

To be honest, I really didn't know he was still around.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 05 9:52 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 05 8:05 pm
R.I.P. Kirk Douglas

The "race" was coming down to him and Betty White, although Betty has 5 years in hand.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Feb 05 10:04 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sun Jan 26 4:54 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Saving Private Ryan-ish in its plot, gripping and great cinematography - all profoundly sad in its rendering - but really the movie is about a 20-year-old kid alone on a battlefield in France.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Chris83 » Fri Feb 07 1:07 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 05 8:05 pm
R.I.P. Kirk Douglas

The AMPAS has announced they will be retiring Kirk's "103" uniform number in perpetuity at the Oscars on Sunday night.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Wed Feb 12 7:54 pm

Any thoughts on the Oscars? Kelly??

First time ever a foreign film has won Best Picture ("Parasite"). I'm not usually a fan of having to read subtitles, but, this was a very good movie and I would recommend seeing it. Knowing how Hollywood is, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they'll try to cash in on an English-speaking remake.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Feb 12 8:39 pm

Superstar wrote:
Wed Feb 12 7:54 pm

First time ever a foreign film has won Best Picture ("Parasite"). I'm not usually a fan of having to read subtitles, but, this was a very good movie and I would recommend seeing it. Knowing how Hollywood is, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they'll try to cash in on an English-speaking remake.
I busted out on my annual Oscar ballot! So many awards spread around which may be a good thing, but tends not to interest most people.
1) One of the most boring shows I’ve seen! God, please bring back a host. Every party needs a social master.
2) I did think Maya/Kristen and Will/Julia presenter patter was funny. And actual offended Film Effects nominees aside...James C and Rebel in their Cats costumes were hilarious.
3) WTF was Eminem doing onstage singing a song from almost a decade ago? The songs are already interminable enough, don’t add more.
4) I was thrilled with Parasite and their wins. There has been a foreign Best Picture winner before; The Artist was French. But there was no dialogue in that film so Parasite is the first true foreign language winner. I love his films: Snowpiercer and The Handmaiden are fabulous. I think the Academy is slowing moving to be more inclusive. It won’t happen all at once, but the tide is shifting and there’s no stopping it.
5) Loved that Brad finally got some love, same with Laura. Not so impressed with Renée or Joaquin. He is extremely shy and socially awkward, but his speech about mother cows screaming was bizarre and uncalled for. He’s a vegan, so is his girlfriend. And speaking of her, does that woman EVER smile? I’ve never seen a more unhappy sour puss in my life! God woman, you need a Snickers!
I wanted Once Upon a Time to get a little more recognition, but Parasite is excellent, can't quibble with the wins. But jeez, poor Marty. The Irishman went bust.
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 12 9:20 pm

I second "Snowpiercer." Just watched it for the I dunno how many times now last night (same director as Parasite). Also loved Ho's shout outs to Martin and Quentin.

Best actor/actress/supporting actor were no surprise. Still waiting on Netflix to ship me Parasite/Once Upon/Joker (although I have already seen Joker, I need to re-watch it because of theories).

I did also re-watch Lone Survivor tonight, in the mood for a war movie. Still hits hard at the heart, for what people do for this country and what sacrifices they make.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 392 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 13 2:27 am

I loved Parasite, but Snowpiercer was awful and this partially sums up why. https://therossman.com/rrr/movies/snowpiercer.html
Currently under construction.

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Thu Feb 13 10:03 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Feb 12 8:39 pm
Superstar wrote:

I busted out on my annual Oscar ballot! So many awards spread around which may be a good thing, but tends not to interest most people.
1) One of the most boring shows I’ve seen! God, please bring back a host. Every party needs a social master.
2) I did think Maya/Kristen and Will/Julia presenter patter was funny. And actual offended Film Effects nominees aside...James C and Rebel in their Cats costumes were hilarious.
3) WTF was Eminem doing onstage singing a song from almost a decade ago? The songs are already interminable enough, don’t add more.
4) I was thrilled with Parasite and their wins. There has been a foreign Best Picture winner before; The Artist was French. But there was no dialogue in that film so Parasite is the first true foreign language winner. I love his films: Snowpiercer and The Handmaiden are fabulous. I think the Academy is slowing moving to be more inclusive. It won’t happen all at once, but the tide is shifting and there’s no stopping it.
5) Loved that Brad finally got some love, same with Laura. Not so impressed with Renée or Joaquin. He is extremely shy and socially awkward, but his speech about mother cows screaming was bizarre and uncalled for. He’s a vegan, so is his girlfriend. And speaking of her, does that woman EVER smile? I’ve never seen a more unhappy sour puss in my life! God woman, you need a Snickers!
I wanted Once Upon a Time to get a little more recognition, but Parasite is excellent, can't quibble with the wins. But jeez, poor Marty. The Irishman went bust.
• Yeah, that was a bit of a shocker that The Irishman was shut out.
• When you say you weren't so impressed with Renée or Joaquin, you mean by their speeches, I assume? Yeah, wasn't impressed with them, either. I don't think Renée could've say "umm" more times if she tried. And Joaquin, yeah, he's always been awkward. Which probably helped him in his performance.
• I didn't finish washing "A Marriage Story" cuz I got bored 25mins in, so I can't comment on Laura's award-winning performance. But I was actually hoping Margot Robbie would win. Her performance in "Bombshell" was incredible. That first scene with her alone with Ailes (when he's asking her to hike up her skirt), I don't know if there's a woman alive that couldn't understand the shame she was feeling in that moment. And then at the end when she confesses on the phonecall that she was one of the "victims", too...heart-wrenching.
• I'd love to hear the back-story on how Eminem was invited to perform. Performing a song that won 18 years ago and a show Eminem didn't even show up to...why bother now??
• Kelly...any thoughts on if the Academy will eventually remove the Best Foreign Film category and just roll it in so to speak with the main Best Picture?
• I do agree the show needs a host. BUT, one that doesn't make it so much about themselves or try to be too gimmicky (I was super psyched for Neil Patrick Harris as a host, but, he failed miserably with his stupid time-wasting magic tricks and things). What I wouldn't give to have Billy Crystal as a host again! :D

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 13 11:25 am

Superstar wrote:
Thu Feb 13 10:03 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Superstar wrote:

• When you say you weren't so impressed with Renée or Joaquin, you mean by their speeches, I assume? Yeah, wasn't impressed with them, either. I don't think Renée could've say "umm" more times if she tried. And Joaquin, yeah, he's always been awkward. Which probably helped him in his performance.
• I didn't finish washing "A Marriage Story" cuz I got bored 25mins in, so I can't comment on Laura's award-winning performance. But I was actually hoping Margot Robbie would win. Her performance in "Bombshell" was incredible. That first scene with her alone with Ailes (when he's asking her to hike up her skirt), I don't know if there's a woman alive that couldn't understand the shame she was feeling in that moment. And then at the end when she confesses on the phonecall that she was one of the "victims", too...heart-wrenching.
• I'd love to hear the back-story on how Eminem was invited to perform. Performing a song that won 18 years ago and a show Eminem didn't even show up to...why bother now??
• Kelly...any thoughts on if the Academy will eventually remove the Best Foreign Film category and just roll it in so to speak with the main Best Picture?
• I do agree the show needs a host. BUT, one that doesn't make it so much about themselves or try to be too gimmicky (I was super psyched for Neil Patrick Harris as a host, but, he failed miserably with his stupid time-wasting magic tricks and things). What I wouldn't give to have Billy Crystal as a host again! :D
FYI It is now called the Best International Film category, not Best Foreign Film. This year introduced the change.
That said, not I don’t think they’ll get rid of it. It is an opening category for budding film countries/directors to be launched. I’ve seen many films that I first heard about at the Academy Awards. People complain about the same old same old coming out of Hollywood. (I like comic book storylines but OMG enough is enough, it’s taken over). International film offers something fresh. New stories, new actors. I sincerely hope the category never goes away.
And yes, I meant the speeches, but I did not think Joaquin was the best. I preferred Adam Driver who never had serious consideration. Please try and watch Marriage Story. It’s supposed to start slow, then the wheels fall off the marriage bus, then it goes nuclear. It’s a gut punch of emotion.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Feb 13 11:56 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Feb 13 11:25 am
Superstar wrote:
Thu Feb 13 10:03 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Superstar wrote:

FYI It is now called the Best International Film category, not Best Foreign Film. This year introduced the change.
That said, not I don’t think they’ll get rid of it. It is an opening category for budding film countries/directors to be launched. I’ve seen many films that I first heard about at the Academy Awards. People complain about the same old same old coming out of Hollywood. (I like comic book storylines but OMG enough is enough, it’s taken over). International film offers something fresh. New stories, new actors. I sincerely hope the category never goes away.
And yes, I meant the speeches, but I did not think Joaquin was the best. I preferred Adam Driver who never had serious consideration. Please try and watch Marriage Story. It’s supposed to start slow, then the wheels fall off the marriage bus, then it goes nuclear. It’s a gut punch of emotion.
C’mon Kelly Red, I like Adam Driver & his performance in Marriage Story was indeed compelling. But with that said, Joaquin Phoenix performance in Joker was GENIUS 👍 the difference between the two performances isn’t even close. ☝️

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 13 12:17 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Feb 13 11:56 am
C’mon Kelly Red, I like Adam Driver & his performance in Marriage Story was indeed compelling. But with that said, Joaquin Phoenix performance in Joker was GENIUS 👍 the difference between the two performances isn’t even close. ☝️
Joker was a fabulous film, I really did like it. Genius? Nope, the easiest thing in the world is to play over the top crazy.
I think it’s common to look at performances that goes all out and not give enough credit to how difficult it is to be subtle. Joaquins vs Adam is a perfect example.

And I’m biased about Joaquin, I don’t like him. His reputation in the business is iffy at best. He hinted at it in his speech. He said “scoundrel”. Many others would just say a*$hole. So I’m adding in my own feelings which don’t count for :censored:

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Feb 13 2:45 pm

I thought Driver gave a terrific performance in Marriage Story, it was the best thing about the film. I’m a big Scarlett J fan, but wasn’t as impressed with her performance. And Laura Dern was fabulous & deserved her Oscar. And I cringed at Joaquin’s acceptance speech, so ridiculously out their (parts of it) that it’s needless to comment on his speech any further. That said, his performance (to me) was truly exceptional, the nuances of his craziness were layered & intriguing. And he was the film, he carried it completely. But we all have our opinions and I enjoyed hearing about yours in my detail 👍 And yes, away from the set, Joaquin is an odd duck & a bit of an Ahole (no doubt).

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Feb 13 7:12 pm

I apparently don’t watch enough tv. Other than the joker, I haven’t heard of any of these movies. 😬

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Thu Feb 13 9:26 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 13 7:12 pm
I apparently don’t watch enough tv. Other than the joker, I haven’t heard of any of these movies. 😬
I think it's the other way around...you're watching too much TV and not getting out to the movie theater enough. ;)

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Feb 13 9:30 pm

Superstar wrote:
Thu Feb 13 9:26 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
I think it's the other way around...you're watching too much TV and not getting out to the movie theater enough. ;)
Very true. I see a movie in a theater about once every three years.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 13 9:39 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 13 9:30 pm
Superstar wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
I've seen 3 in the past year in theaters. I think that's a record high. :shock:

Joker wasn't over the top crazy. That'd be Leto's Joker. Joaquin's was a very realistic portrayal of a person with severe mental issues.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Feb 13 9:57 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 13 9:39 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Superstar wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Joker wasn't over the top crazy. That'd be Leto's Joker. Joaquin's was a very realistic portrayal of a person with severe mental issues.
Yes. “Portrayal.”

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 13 10:18 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Feb 13 9:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 13 9:39 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Superstar wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Yes. “Portrayal.”
Joaquin's Joker....you see many times in the news. You might even know a person like that (maybe not to that extreme to do the actions he did, but...)
THAT is what made his performance memorable.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 16 11:35 am

The Lost City Of Z:

Based on the true story of a British explorer, circa early 1900s, trying to find a lost city in Amazonia, and later mysteriously disappeared.

Pretty decent movie, although a bit long-winded/tedious. At 2:21 running time, they could have shortened a couple scenes, and brought it to about 2 hours. Even though the attitudes of white people towards the jungle people were previously known, it was still interesting to see it all unfold. Charlie Hunnam (Sons Of Anarchy) does well in his role. I hope to see him in more stuff, to break out of his SOA typecast that many of us still see him as.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 18 1:51 am

Before airing Stan and Ollie, Fox Movies channel ran a retrospective look at movies from the 90's and with '99 ending the decade on a huge bang. What a year.

With Stan and Ollie, the dancing scene from Way Out West had me laughing my ass off - what a wonderful recreation and reminded me of being a kid again.

btw Reilly and Coogan nailed their roles.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 20 9:53 pm

The Foreigner:

A humble businessman with a buried past seeks justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism. A cat-and-mouse conflict ensues with a government official, whose past may hold clues to the killers' identities.

A one-man wrecking crew action movie. Pretty much by the numbers. It's passable, but that's about it. We have all seen it before, just in a different arena. I suppose I'd sort this as an average time-killer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 22 8:54 am

Us. Peele is a genius. Never mind it's made around 255 in a budget of 20.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Feb 22 11:09 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Feb 22 8:54 am
That was a terrible movie. I couldn't finish it, and I was looking forward to this followup movie of his. I thought Get Out was brilliant, and IMO he tried to do too much in Us.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 23 10:30 pm

Stagecoach:
A group of people traveling on a stagecoach find their journey complicated by the threat of Geronimo and learn something about each other in the process.

It was okay. A good afternoon-type time killer, but a step above the normal "time killer" movies. John Wayne is John Wayne light in this, not exactly the bad-arse as he was in future movies. If you like classic westerns, give it a whirl.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Feb 23 11:09 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Feb 22 11:09 am
Slap Shot wrote:
That was a terrible movie. I couldn't finish it, and I was looking forward to this followup movie of his. I thought Get Out was brilliant, and IMO he tried to do too much in Us.
Stick to politics. :mrgreen:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 23 11:16 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 23 11:09 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Feb 22 11:09 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Stick to politics. :mrgreen:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Chris83 » Mon Feb 24 12:06 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 23 10:30 pm
Stagecoach:
A group of people traveling on a stagecoach find their journey complicated by the threat of Geronimo and learn something about each other in the process.

It was okay. A good afternoon-type time killer, but a step above the normal "time killer" movies. John Wayne is John Wayne light in this, not exactly the bad-arse as he was in future movies. If you like classic westerns, give it a whirl.
Great cinematography (Monument Valley) and John Carradine is a favorite of mine. Andy Devine is a hoot as well.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 24 5:06 pm

The Two Popes:

Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict XVI and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

This is a very slow movie, a very tedious one, but it is worth a watch. It doesn't gloss over the fallibility of the Church, but it does provide a touch of humanity to these men who were/are The Pope. The acting is very well done, and while the story is mostly fiction (as in private convos and such), it was presented in an impressive fashion.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Greyeagle
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Mar 01 7:52 pm

Just watch this, extremely well done.

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Mar 11 8:17 am

I watched Contagion last night. It came out in 2011 but could just have easily come out today. While there is obviously some creative license with the fictional outbreak, it did a really good job of showing how easily diseases can be spread. I recommend it because of the story line and the all-star cast. (Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Marion Cotillard, Bryan Cranston, just to name a few).
GPL's official source of trivia.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Mar 11 10:07 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Mar 11 8:17 am
I watched Contagion last night. It came out in 2011 but could just have easily come out today. While there is obviously some creative license with the fictional outbreak, it did a really good job of showing how easily diseases can be spread. I recommend it because of the story line and the all-star cast. (Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Marion Cotillard, Bryan Cranston, just to name a few).
Yeah, I really like it too and one I have seen many times.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Mar 11 10:08 am

Finally watched Ford vs. Ferrari on the plane. Really enjoyed that one!

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Iceburg » Wed Mar 11 8:34 pm

Retired Thread Police

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 15 8:03 pm

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

Garbage. I'm a QT fan, but what a hot mess this movie was. Watched 2 hours (it's 2:40 time length) and that was an hour too long, before shutting it off.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 15 9:18 pm

Where is the thumbs down?

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Mar 15 9:55 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 15 8:03 pm

Garbage. I'm a QT fan, but what a hot mess this movie was. Watched 2 hours (it's 2:40 time length) and that was an hour too long, before shutting it off.
BOOOOO! :ddown:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 15 9:56 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Mar 15 9:55 pm
The Rube wrote:

Good answer.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 15 10:00 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Mar 15 9:55 pm
The Rube wrote:

I'm not going to trash it just to be "that guy." I was looking forward to this movie, and.....nope. Hated it. I was very disappointed.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by JWG » Mon Mar 16 7:53 am

You need to at least see the last 20 minutes of "Once Upon a Time in a Hollywood"
If you want the traditional Trantino sequence, anyway.
JWG
[This space for rent]

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Mar 16 7:55 am

JWG wrote:
Mon Mar 16 7:53 am
You need to at least see the last 20 minutes of "Once Upon a Time in a Hollywood"
If you want the traditional Trantino sequence, anyway.
He shut it off before it was over. The whole movie is Tarantino. If you don't like the whole movie you don't really like him.

The dialogue and friendship between Leonardo and Pitt was phenomenal acting and performance throughout the film. And the last 20 minutes was maybe the biggest payoff in Tarantino film history.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 16 9:55 am

A friend of mine from college played Bruce Lee, so was kind of cool to see him in such a big role.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Mar 16 11:34 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:55 am
A friend of mine from college played Bruce Lee, so was kind of cool to see him in such a big role.
That scene between Bruce and Pitt was so funny, the lazy drawl dialogue from Brad about manslaughter oh man :biggrin2: (now there’s a bizarre sentence)
Your friend was great! A small part that really stole the show. Same with the kid, she was laser focused.

And poor Rube missed the flamethrower scene!!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 16 12:05 pm

I thought the scenes with the young actress alone made it worth the price of admission.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Mar 16 12:58 pm

I also think “Once upon a time in Hollywood” is a bit harder to relate to for the younger crowd...those with no experience growing up (in parts of or all of) the 60’s or 70’s ☝️

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 16 1:33 pm

Movies I've watched this weekend thanks to free trials of Disney +, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax:

1. The Last Stand (Arnold movie where he plays a sheriff of a small border town in Arizona. Drug lord breaks out of prison and heads toward his town. Mayhem ensues. It's not going to win any awards but I enjoyed it.
2. Captain America (the first one with Chris Evans) Had seen it before and watched it again.
3. Shazam. REALLY enjoyed this movie. Great family story and not as dark as other DC movies.
4. White Fang: Disney movie from the 90's. Had seen it many times before and watched it again.
5. Captain Marvel. Tried watching it but after 20 minutes I just couldn't get into it so I turned it off.

Wanted to watch Avengers: Infinity War again but for some reason it is not on Disney+ until the end of June but Endgame is available now. :conf2:

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon Mar 16 2:49 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Mar 16 1:33 pm
4. White Fang: Disney movie from the 90's. Had seen it many times before and watched it again.
Fun fact: I met the guy who consulted on a lot of the sled dog stuff for that movie. Joe Henderson. My bestie actually worked with him for a bit trying to get abandoned oil barrels out of Alaska. More than once, he's set out with just his dogs for MONTHS without restocking. Fascinating to hear the stories and how he handles the dogs so they never fail.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Mar 16 2:50 pm

Zwak wrote:
Movies I've watched this weekend thanks to free trials of Disney +, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax:

1. The Last Stand (Arnold movie where he plays a sheriff of a small border town in Arizona. Drug lord breaks out of prison and heads toward his town. Mayhem ensues. It's not going to win any awards but I enjoyed it.
2. Captain America (the first one with Chris Evans) Had seen it before and watched it again.
3. Shazam. REALLY enjoyed this movie. Great family story and not as dark as other DC movies.
5. Captain Marvel. Tried watching it but after 20 minutes I just couldn't get into it so I turned it off.

Wanted to watch Avengers: Infinity War again but for some reason it is not on Disney+ until the end of June but Endgame is available now. :conf2:
If you're still on the Disney+ free trial, check out Togo. It's about the 1925 serum run to Nome, and focuses on the lead dog (Togo) and musher (Leonhard Seppala, played by Willem Dafoe) who completed over 300 miles of the run (compared to the other dogs and teams, that averaged just over 31 miles). My wife and I both enjoyed it so much that we watched it twice (once by ourselves, and again a week or so later when my parents were down to visit). We enjoy movies that are based on actual events, and from everything I've read, this movie was very historically accurate.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 16 4:47 pm

I read so many books from my youth that led to movies of a similar vein:

Where the redfern grows
Old Yeller
White Fang

But I can't remember two. A young boy forced into burrowing into a tree for shelter, and another I want to.say lost near a cabin forced to survive. I swear both involved dogs but they escape me.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Mar 16 4:54 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 16 4:47 pm
I read so many books from my youth that led to movies of a similar vein:

Where the redfern grows
Old Yeller
White Fang

But I can't remember two. A young boy forced into burrowing into a tree for shelter, and another I want to.say lost near a cabin forced to survive. I swear both involved dogs but they escape me.
My Side of the Mountain is your first one. One of my favorite book series as a kid and I just watched the movie with my kids a few months ago. He wasn’t forced, he chose to live that way and the tree, he burned out a little at a time to make his home. It’s a pretty neat story. No dog, but he did have a peregrine falcon that he trained.

The second one your describe I can only think of is Hatchet. Kid goes down in a plane crash and only has a hatchet his mother gave him.

The other good ones are Call of the Wild and White Fang. Good books and movies.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 16 5:05 pm

My Side for sure is the first one. On the second 'Hatchet' is not a 100% memory click but might be right. Thank you.

Memories fade over 40+ years. :mrgreen:

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Mar 16 6:59 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:50 pm
Zwak wrote:

If you're still on the Disney+ free trial, check out Togo. It's about the 1925 serum run to Nome, and focuses on the lead dog (Togo) and musher (Leonhard Seppala, played by Willem Dafoe) who completed over 300 miles of the run (compared to the other dogs and teams, that averaged just over 31 miles). My wife and I both enjoyed it so much that we watched it twice (once by ourselves, and again a week or so later when my parents were down to visit). We enjoy movies that are based on actual events, and from everything I've read, this movie was very historically accurate.
Just watched Togo. Thank you for the recommendation.

I can get pretty mushy with dogs and some of these stories/movies. I have had dogs all my life, 2 at a time almost always, sometimes 3. There is always one that separates itself for 1 reason or another and you soon find out that the dog lives it’s entire life for you. One of the last lines in the movie hit me right in the feels, I won’t ruin that part by saying it, but my current black lab is exactly like that. Boy, he can piss a person off a lot of the time, but he watches over my family like no other could and while we will long outlive him, him will be remembered by all of us forever.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 16 9:35 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Mar 16 11:34 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:55 am
That scene between Bruce and Pitt was so funny, the lazy drawl dialogue from Brad about manslaughter oh man :biggrin2: (now there’s a bizarre sentence)
Your friend was great! A small part that really stole the show. Same with the kid, she was laser focused.

And poor Rube missed the flamethrower scene!!
That was one of the last scenes I saw before shutting it down. Might have been the last one.

As for "getting" QT, I "get" him. IIRC the only movie (besides this one) I don't own of his is Jackie Brown, which was alright. I couldn't get into it, but it was well done. The others? Love. Absolutely love.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 21 8:42 pm

Master_Shake wrote:
Thu Jan 09 9:00 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 03 9:45 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm

Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!
Question
Hidden Content...
How was the girls scarf at the hospital did I miss something?
I just watched it. :shock:
Hidden Content...
my guess is he had the scarf with him in his pocket or something.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 22 11:23 am

ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas

Documentary on the band. Pretty solid, lots of old footage. I knew the songs, but not the story of the band, besides the MTV-era when they really blew up. These guys are just humble dudes who want to play music, and it shows in the lack of drama within the band and their career. Solid watch.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Mar 22 2:38 pm

Since there's pretty much nowhere to go and nothing to do, I've been re-watching some old DVD's that have been sitting in a dusty box for years. Watched Road To Perdition last night. That really is a solid, underappreciated movie.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 8:26 am

ex_goldy wrote:
Tue Jan 22 8:31 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Jan 22 8:07 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Jan 21 11:22 pm
ex_goldy wrote:
Mon Jan 21 4:27 pm
Glass
I think unbreakable was the peak for M N Shyamalan. Loved it, split was well done, overly long but a good movie with the lead to this sequel. So for me it had potential and it hit a wall. A made up objective for the bad guys that never got started, just alluded to. But the ending was so bad, just beyond bad waste of an ending I can remember in a movie. There was suspense, and build up and leading to a big empty hole to fill at the end -
Hidden Content...
with no ending it was all shot in a parking lot
What a waste of an almost franchise.
I've only seen Split, thought it was decent. Didn't know it was part of a thing, until Glass hype came. Second-guessing watching the others now. Do I dare? I'd prob watch Unbreakable, re-watch Split, and then watch Glass, just to get the full feel for it, if I chose that path. Worth it?
Watch Unbreakable regardless. It is a pretty good movie. I have seen both Unbreakable and Split, and I really have no interest in watching Glass, it takes the story in a stupid super hero direction, which I have no interest in. Super hero movies are f*** stupid.
I think you have something there. They turn it into super heros and it lost it's common man theme. Glass was bad. I thought the doctor would actually find something, but her purpose was even slanted, which might have been the beginning of my hate for this turd. Or spend more and make a complete movie, it was half a movie with a wrap up for an ending. If you don't hate Bruce Willis from his die hard movies you will probably like unbreakable, my favorite of the three.
Watched this one over the weekend (one of many), but had more expectations for it and just fell flat. I agree that I thought the doctor would find something out and the ending is terrible. Wasted opportunity, but really did like Split and Unbreakable. Unbreakfable is on HBO as well, so may have to rewatch.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 8:29 am

Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody: I thought it was great, but didn't realize it won Best Picture. It was a great depiction of the story and one I dind't know much about. Love their music, but the peak of their fame was before my time.

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon Mar 23 8:46 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:29 am
Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody: I thought it was great, but didn't realize it won Best Picture. It was a great depiction of the story and one I dind't know much about. Love their music, but the peak of their fame was before my time.
You must be talking about winning a Golden Globe for Best Picture (drama). Cuz Green Book won the Oscar for Best Picture that year.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 10:21 am

Superstar wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:46 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:29 am
You must be talking about winning a Golden Globe for Best Picture (drama). Cuz Green Book won the Oscar for Best Picture that year.
Sorry meant to say nomination but yeah.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 23 12:27 pm

If you are bored and looking for some mindless movies to watch, here are some recommendations of some of my favoritesL

1. Shoot Em Up: Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Belucci in a comically violent movie and one of my favorites of the last 20 years
2. The Hidden: Michael Nouri and Kyle MacLahclan in a 1987 police version of The Thing
3. Red Eye: Rachel Macadams and Cillian Murphy in a thriller that takes place mostly on a plane

All are fun, especially Shoot Em Up. Absolutely love that movie!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 12:34 pm

Red Eye is solid.

For a good send-up, Black Dynamite is still a fave of mine:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 12:45 pm

I thought I saw Red-Eye on a streaming site, but might have to add to the list.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 12:48 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 12:45 pm
I thought I saw Red-Eye on a streaming site, but might have to add to the list.
Cillian is underrated as an actor. He's typecast, sure, but man, is he good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 23 1:52 pm

I wanted to hate Cillian but have grown to be a big fan. He's one of my picks to the next Bond (assuming he's not seen as too young) along with:

Jude Law
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Tom Hiddleston
Luke Evans

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Mar 23 1:56 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Mar 23 12:27 pm
If you are bored and looking for some mindless movies to watch, here are some recommendations of some of my favoritesL

1. Shoot Em Up: Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Belucci in a comically violent movie and one of my favorites of the last 20 years
2. The Hidden: Michael Nouri and Kyle MacLahclan in a 1987 police version of The Thing
3. Red Eye: Rachel Macadams and Cillian Murphy in a thriller that takes place mostly on a plane

All are fun, especially Shoot Em Up. Absolutely love that movie!
Shoot Em Up is such a fun watch. Love it.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 23 2:25 pm

The long suffering Mrs GE and I got through two-thirds of Lawrence of Arabia last night. Interesting but slow story and beautifully shot. Last hour on tap for this evening.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 2:51 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:52 pm
I wanted to hate Cillian but have grown to be a big fan. He's one of my picks to the next Bond (assuming he's not seen as too young) along with:

Jude Law
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Tom Hiddleston
Luke Evans
Not into Bond, but Fassbender and Hardy would be excellent choices.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Mar 23 3:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 23 2:51 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

Jude Law
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Tom Hiddleston
Luke Evans
They will never select Hardy!! That man is too unstable to make the face of a franchise. He is extremely difficult to work with, has pissed off just about every director and co-star he’s had. Nope nope nope, not going to happen.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 3:08 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:05 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 23 2:51 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

Jude Law
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
Tom Hiddleston
Luke Evans
They will never select Hardy!! That man is too unstable to make the face of a franchise. He is extremely difficult to work with, has pissed off just about every director and co-star he’s had. Nope nope nope, not going to happen.
BUT, he'd make a good Bond, though. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd