High School Hockey 2019-2020

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jan 29 11:22 am

Maize wrote:
Wed Jan 29 11:18 am
I don't know every case, but my general sense is that their move-ins are more Range kids that want to play in a deeper, more competitive program.

Bruce Plante was correct about STA. He never said they should move up because they were too good. He said they should move up because they were playing by a different set of rules as everyone else, which was absolutely true. Hermantown should move up. Whether they're recruiting kids, or the program recruits itself, they're more than good enough, and it's time. But they're not the same as STA.
I'd agree that Hermantown isn't the same as STA. But, as you point out, that doesn't mean that Hermantown shouldn't also move up to AA.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jan 29 11:39 am

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Jan 29 10:21 am
I'm not super familiar with the politics of Hermantown and Duluth youth hockey, but is part of their draw in the area their emphasis on travelling youth hockey system? I think Duluth is committed to their neighborhood youth hockey program and more of a community league format until the kids get older.
Without knowing anything about Duluth hockey, their youth system confuses me.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jan 29 12:25 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jan 29 11:39 am
Vegoe wrote:
I'm not super familiar with the politics of Hermantown and Duluth youth hockey, but is part of their draw in the area their emphasis on travelling youth hockey system? I think Duluth is committed to their neighborhood youth hockey program and more of a community league format until the kids get older.

“Instead of playing in seven tournaments per year and traveling out of town for three of them and spending money on gas and hotels and that kind of stuff, it’s another way we can reduce the cost of the sport for these parents,” Klosowski said. “There’s no reason that parents at that age group should have to expect to incur those kinds of travel costs.”

Here are some articles for you on the topic:

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... how/816074

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... how/846010

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... how/945144

Basically the rush to identify the elite and separating kids at 8, 9 and 10-years-old might not be the best thing for developing the best hockey players at 18-years-old. This is part of the ADM philosphy that most associations don't integrate into their programs. I think a true ADM means focusing more on kids developing as skaters, enjoying the game and becoming more complete athletes. Some of the sport programs in Scandanavia hold this truism up above all else and ban keeping stats and scores for youth sports.
Last edited by Vegoe on Wed Jan 29 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jan 29 12:48 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Jan 29 12:25 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

“Instead of playing in seven tournaments per year and traveling out of town for three of them and spending money on gas and hotels and that kind of stuff, it’s another way we can reduce the cost of the sport for these parents,” Klosowski said. “There’s no reason that parents at that age group should have to expect to incur those kinds of travel costs.”

Basically the rush to identify the elite and separating kids at 8, 9 and 10-years-old might not be the best thing for developing the best hockey players at 18-years-old. This is part of the ADM philosphy that most associations don't integrated into their programs. I think a true ADM means focusing more on kids developing as skaters, enjoying the game and becoming more complete athletes. Some of the sport programs in Scandanavia hold this truism up above all else and ban keeping stats and scores for youth sports.
This. This is what youth sports should be about.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Jan 29 1:28 pm

I fully agree with this approach just based on my own personal experience. I was the worst kid on our 7th grade baseball team but I worked my butt off and by the time I was a senior, I was 2 time all-conference and captain for a team that made the state tourney. Trying to decide who's going to be elite at age 10 is a fool's game.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jan 29 1:28 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 29 12:48 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Wed Jan 29 12:25 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

Basically the rush to identify the elite and separating kids at 8, 9 and 10-years-old might not be the best thing for developing the best hockey players at 18-years-old. This is part of the ADM philosphy that most associations don't integrated into their programs. I think a true ADM means focusing more on kids developing as skaters, enjoying the game and becoming more complete athletes. Some of the sport programs in Scandanavia hold this truism up above all else and ban keeping stats and scores for youth sports.
This. This is what youth sports should be about.
I can't tell you how pumped kids are to go the "away" tournament and stay in hotels with their friends. Last year my older kid went to Thief River Falls and this year he went to Roseau. These kids appreciate the history of playing in the Old Arena in Thief River Falls (and even the Ralph) and start to understand hockey culture when they see/hear people in the pizza place in Roseau listening to the High School game on the radio rather than watching 15 TVs at Buffalo Wild Wings.

When our squirt B team got together with the Big Lake Becker team at the hotel in Roseau, the teams ran all over the place together and had a blast. The kids combined Bengals and Eagles and called themselves the Beagles. BLB came early to watch our team play a game and were cheering "Let's go Beagles!." Our team stayed late to watch BLB play and returned the cheers. THIS is what youth sports should be.

The ADM is focused on "developing the best hockey players at 18-years-old." It ignores the fact that most kids don't want to wait until their 18 years old to have fun. Most kids aren't trying to play on the USNDT. They want to go out and play actual hockey. With rules and scores. Keeping score and winning games is fun for them. Tournaments are fun. Swimming and playing knee hockey with your buddies in the hotel is fun.

Winning is a reward for hard work, and it is fun. Losing is a life lesson.

My younger kid is a 1st year squirt and he will go on his first away tournament next week. He is so excited.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jan 29 3:15 pm

I think there is a huge difference between having fun, and being pushed to be elite at a young age. It’s just sad that it sounds like there is so much more push to develop kids quickly vs letting them enjoy having fun as the scenario Bertogliat describes. Yes, winning and losing are very important life lessons - it’s just that too many kids are feeling that winning is the only thing and they aren’t really learning to lose. It’s a fine line, and I’m so thankful I do not have kids. 😬

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jan 29 3:49 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jan 29 1:28 pm
I can't tell you how pumped kids are to go the "away" tournament and stay in hotels with their friends. Last year my older kid went to Thief River Falls and this year he went to Roseau. These kids appreciate the history of playing in the Old Arena in Thief River Falls (and even the Ralph) and start to understand hockey culture when they see/hear people in the pizza place in Roseau listening to the High School game on the radio rather than watching 15 TVs at Buffalo Wild Wings.

When our squirt B team got together with the Big Lake Becker team at the hotel in Roseau, the teams ran all over the place together and had a blast. The kids combined Bengals and Eagles and called themselves the Beagles. BLB came early to watch our team play a game and were cheering "Let's go Beagles!." Our team stayed late to watch BLB play and returned the cheers. THIS is what youth sports should be.

The ADM is focused on "developing the best hockey players at 18-years-old." It ignores the fact that most kids don't want to wait until their 18 years old to have fun. Most kids aren't trying to play on the USNDT. They want to go out and play actual hockey. With rules and scores. Keeping score and winning games is fun for them. Tournaments are fun. Swimming and playing knee hockey with your buddies in the hotel is fun.

My younger kid is a 1st year squirt and he will go on his first away tournament next week. He is so excited.
I'm sure they're pumped, it's going on vacation. My perspective is just don't confuse going on a hockey vacation with development or exposure.

And focusing on building and running a squirt bench with the focus to win is a little early for that life lesson in my opinion.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jan 29 3:52 pm

Most of the coaches you hear talk about college and professional players will tell you that the kids who make it are generally the best athletes. The superstars are the ones blessed with the talent and who work the hardest. They will also say that kids should get away from the rink and play other sports.

My son played hockey through high school, but it was definitely not his best sport. In a funny kind of way, the training he had in hockey I think helped in develop quick feet for his first love: football. He wouldn't beat anybody in a 50-yard dash, but he was crazy quick out of his stance as an offensive lineman. He played in the state championship game, and I think playing another sport and a passion to work hard for the sport he truly loved really helped him get there.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jan 29 4:42 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Jan 29 3:49 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jan 29 1:28 pm

I'm sure they're pumped, it's going on vacation. My perspective is just don't confuse going on a hockey vacation with development or exposure.

And focusing on building and running a squirt bench with the focus to win is a little early for that life lesson in my opinion.
I have one kid who plays competitively at the squirt level and I can say that even at that age the top kids are mostly self driven and want to win more than anything. They did even when they were mites.

My younger kid plays C squirts and very few kids on his team Have that, but they do still enjoy winning.

While I agree we should never have imbalanced play time for top line players, most of these kids are practicing in the basement/garage/backyard rinks between the daily practices and it isn’t because adults are telling them they have to.

The problem I see for the top kids is parents pushing them into multiple camps in addition tot he normal routine.

One AAA team in the summer is one thing, three teams is pushing. Private coaching and weekday breakfast skates during the season....at age 8-10?

That said, they can and want more than most lower level kids. Some kids can handle it and other can’t and that why we have 4 levels.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Orion » Wed Jan 29 5:24 pm

Hemantown is also the nice wealthy city on the range with good schools and shops and restaurants. It's the city people move up to just like Woodbury, Plymouth, or Edina.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jan 29 6:04 pm

I didn’t read all of the responses here, but judging any squirt hockey player is foolish. Last week before the Squirtacular, Youth Hockey Hub did their predictions and during that conversation they talked about 5 kids I believe from Moorhead’s Squirt B team from back in 2013 or 2014 that are now their top guns on the varsity team.

Trust me, it’s easy to get caught up in it all as a parent too. AAA hockey, AA vs A vs B1 teams, etc.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Jan 29 7:54 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 29 3:15 pm
I think there is a huge difference between having fun, and being pushed to be elite at a young age. It’s just sad that it sounds like there is so much more push to develop kids quickly vs letting them enjoy having fun as the scenario Bertogliat describes. Yes, winning and losing are very important life lessons - it’s just that too many kids are feeling that winning is the only thing and they aren’t really learning to lose. It’s a fine line, and I’m so thankful I do not have kids. 😬
With all due respect, and we all make choices & I respect those choices...but unless you actually have a kid playing sports, it’s hard to truly understand the dynamics of this whole process. Some parents are psycho, no doubt, & expect way too much out of their kids and push too hard, that’s true. But not the majority. And every kid is different & to bring out the best in them, needs to be parented & coached differently, to help them achieve their potential as athletes & as young people. In the most general of terms, some players need a pat on the back, some need a gentle kick in the rear end, this is universal. Now if they actually have the passion (the kids) to be Elite at any age, that’s the starting point 101 to being Elite. Parents & coaches who don't understand that concept, are very apt to trying, usually fruitlessly, to hammer a square peg into a round hole, and that’s what’s unfortunate ☝️

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Jan 30 10:36 am

The Eveleth-Virginia hockey rivalry will be no more as the schools are merging and will be known as Rock Ridge

http://m.startribune.com/eveleth-and-virginia-hockey-greats-support-new-combined-school-mourn-passage-of-rivalry/567357832/
GPL's official source of trivia.

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Thu Jan 30 10:38 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jan 30 10:36 am
The Eveleth-Virginia hockey rivalry will be no more as the schools are merging and will be known as Rock Ridge

http://m.startribune.com/eveleth-and-virginia-hockey-greats-support-new-combined-school-mourn-passage-of-rivalry/567357832/
I see green and black, and I vomit in my mouth. The only good team to ever wear green and black was D-Generation X

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jan 30 10:55 am

Whioux Suck wrote:
Thu Jan 30 10:38 am
Zwak wrote:

I see green and black, and I vomit in my mouth. The only good team to ever wear green and black was D-Generation X
North Stars? :confused2:

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Thu Jan 30 12:14 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jan 30 10:55 am
Whioux Suck wrote:
Thu Jan 30 10:38 am
Zwak wrote:

North Stars? :confused2:
They at least had some yellow/gold. Enough to make it better

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Feb 04 10:21 pm

So....ummm....anyway....

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Feb 04 10:29 pm

What did they film that on? Yeesh. Do they not have smartphones in Canada yet?

....I am aware of where Hallock actually is.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 04 10:35 pm

They must have used Brent's flip phone!

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Feb 04 10:40 pm

Looks like something out of Letterkenny.

Now I have Shoresy's voice in my head while watching it again. Much funnier.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 04 11:04 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 04 10:35 pm
They must have used Brent's flip phone!
Can his phone even take video?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Feb 04 11:44 pm

I am confused as to why they are crawling through them? I last played there 21 years ago, but they still look the same and there wasn’t a doggy door on them then!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 05 6:35 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Feb 04 11:44 pm
I am confused as to why they are crawling through them? I last played there 21 years ago, but they still look the same and there wasn’t a doggy door on them then!
Looks like they had to cut a hole in the door.

:chainsaw:

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Wed Feb 05 7:17 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 05 6:35 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Feb 04 11:44 pm
Looks like they had to cut a hole in the door.

:chainsaw:
Often locker room doors have a grille in them cause the rooms have continuous running exhaust. I think the lock jammed so they kicked out the grille.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Feb 13 9:55 pm

GR beats Hermantown. Nice!

EP with their very strong recruiting class clinches at least a share of the Lake. Tonka could share if EP loses to Wayzata and they win at Braemar Saturday. Buffalo will play a full Lake schedule for hmm, maybe one more year.

Blaine (11-0) plays at Andover (10-0-1) for their conference. Guessing that place will be rocking.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Feb 15 7:18 pm

If you want some more hockey today, Blaine Andover starting soon
https://www.prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL/GameStream/6319
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue Feb 18 11:12 am

Not entirely about high school hockey, but this will do wonders for their ego.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/287 ... y-universe

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Feb 18 1:34 pm

Most - if not all - of the section brackets are now published.

https://legacy.mshsl.org/brackets/brack ... acketId=87
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Feb 18 10:48 pm

Gophers definitely have the best recruiting metro area right in their backyard. Wonder how long UST will take before they make a dent around here. I could see lots of STA and HM kids going there, which I don't really mind lol. HM is a pipeline to uw at the moment.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Feb 20 9:09 pm

Cadets move on! Rosemount will probably thrash them tho. Still it’s nice to see the plucky Mendota Heights school do well.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Goldy77
Veteran
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Goldy77 » Thu Feb 20 9:26 pm

Edina over Wayzata in OT. Jimmy Clark with the game winner(snipe) and hat trick. Freshman looks like a hell of a player.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Feb 20 9:39 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Thu Feb 20 9:26 pm
Edina over Wayzata in OT. Jimmy Clark with the game winner(snipe) and hat trick. Freshman looks like a hell of a player.
We don't need seven guys from Edina (or seven guys from anywhere) on the roster, but if Gopher hockey gets back to where it could be we'd get THE guy from these teams that pump out 4-5 D1 guys every year.

No one would trade Sammy Walker. Seems like this Clark kid is one to keep an eye on as maybe the next to commit from there.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Feb 20 10:36 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Feb 20 9:39 pm
Goldy77 wrote:
Thu Feb 20 9:26 pm
We don't need seven guys from Edina (or seven guys from anywhere) on the roster, but if Gopher hockey gets back to where it could be we'd get THE guy from these teams that pump out 4-5 D1 guys every year.

No one would trade Sammy Walker. Seems like this Clark kid is one to keep an eye on as maybe the next to commit from there.
I think it’s safe to say a lot of MN D1 schools will be keeping a close eye on Jimmy Clark.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Thu Feb 20 11:00 pm

He’s been on the radar since at least last year and he could have played bantams this year. If anything it’s probably best for him not to have to worry about being recruited and make a decision too soon.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Feb 21 8:47 am

Lakeville North Sr. Goalie Caleb Mayer scored an ENG last night in their 5-3 victory over Northfield.

No real big upsets last night. STA beat Eastview 5-0, which was an upset in seeding only, I think most people would've picked STA in that game.

Looking forward to the chaos on Semifinal Saturday.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Feb 21 10:10 am

My New Prague Trojans lost to a good Prior Lake team last night at Dakotah. It was a phenomenal atmosphere, though-- the stands were full for a #8 versus #1 section quarterfinal. The community model for high school hockey really is the best way, as it was memorable even for the Trojans, and the Lakers will head to Braemar next and remember their last home game also.

I love this time of year-- nothing better than great playoff hockey at all levels.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Fri Feb 21 11:05 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Fri Feb 21 10:10 am
My New Prague Trojans lost to a good Prior Lake team last night at Dakotah. It was a phenomenal atmosphere, though-- the stands were full for a #8 versus #1 section quarterfinal. The community model for high school hockey really is the best way, as it was memorable even for the Trojans, and the Lakers will head to Braemar next and remember their last home game also.

I love this time of year-- nothing better than great playoff hockey at all levels.
I attended the Gopher/Mavericks women's game at Dakotah earlier this season and was surprised to see a packed arena when I entered and looked for an open seat. A great atmosphere that showed hockey is alive and well in Prior Lake.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Feb 21 11:08 am

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 21 11:11 am

It'll be Kaiser Biondi or Gleason.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Feb 21 11:18 am

Is Perbix the only one not committed somewhere?

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Fri Feb 21 11:47 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Feb 21 11:18 am
Is Perbix the only one not committed somewhere?
It shows UMD by his name. YHH said they heard a rumor he committed there recently, nothing from Blake himself though on Twitter.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 21 11:58 am

Bummer. UMD gets four out of 10 if true. Forward backlog at UMN prob doesn't help. Hopefully Warner turns out the best of the three..
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Fri Feb 21 12:06 pm

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Fri Feb 21 12:07 pm

That should clear that up.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Feb 21 12:15 pm

Yeah, Blake Perbix is uncommitted at this point.

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Fri Feb 21 12:16 pm

Probably had him confused with Jack Smith.

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Fri Feb 21 12:21 pm

I’d put the odds at 90% Gleason 10% Kaiser. Biondi didn’t even have the top season in Class A this year (fewer ppg than Perbix with equivalent teams/schedules).

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Feb 21 12:26 pm

Gopher Fan 26 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 12:21 pm
I’d put the odds at 90% Gleason 10% Kaiser. Biondi didn’t even have the top season in Class A this year (fewer ppg than Perbix with equivalent teams/schedules).
Disagree, damn near no one rips on Hermantown on Minnhock more than me...but Biondi had an excellent season and is ranked significantly higher in the midterm CSS rankings than Gleason. I’d handicap it as: 45% Gleason, 45% Biondi and 10% Kaiser ☝️

Gopher99
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Feb 21 12:49 pm

Just curious and haven't seen him play by any means, but did we recruit or go after Gleason?

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Feb 21 9:11 pm

In a small upset, my alma mater SSP takes down the online/Lucius school that is Gentry Academy. Gentry beat them 5-2 a week ago and now loses 1-3.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 21 9:17 pm

Nice!
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Feb 21 9:36 pm

St Paul Academy upsets St Paul Johnson in a 7/2 game.

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Fri Feb 21 10:05 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 9:36 pm
Dream State curse strikes again.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Feb 21 10:14 pm

Maize wrote:
Fri Feb 21 10:05 pm
Gopherguy05 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 9:36 pm
Dream State curse strikes again.
It's not like Johnson was a dominant team or even a favorite in the section. Mahtomedi has that until further notice.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Fri Feb 21 10:28 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:

Cool to hear that Dakotah was rocking! What do you think PL's chances are of coming out of the section? Would be fun to see my home town in The Tourney!
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Sat Feb 22 7:50 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 10:14 pm

It's not like Johnson was a dominant team or even a favorite in the section. Mahtomedi has that until further notice.
I'm assuming they were favored over the 7th seed in their section though.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Sat Feb 22 7:58 am

Flipped over to the Hornets girls game after the Gopher game. Saw a girl take a bad penalty and it was deja Vu. My son played with her older brother and he was always good for a dumb penalty or two. The dad was such a nice, calm guy, mom was where the attitude came from.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 22 8:46 am

Tonka girls gave up the tying goal in the last minute of the 3rd during a 6 on 4 then lost in OT on a bad turnover. Heck of a season though.

Maybe the boys can shock against team transfer.
Currently under construction.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sat Feb 22 12:57 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 10:28 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:

Cool to hear that Dakotah was rocking! What do you think PL's chances are of coming out of the section? Would be fun to see my home town in The Tourney!
They have a good shot as they are the top seed. This year seems much more of a crap shoot to guess who will come out. There are alot of good teams in that section that can beat them in a single game.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sat Feb 22 1:10 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Feb 22 8:46 am
Tonka girls gave up the tying goal in the last minute of the 3rd during a 6 on 4 then lost in OT on a bad turnover. Heck of a season though.

Maybe the boys can shock against team transfer.
Tonka boys getting taken to the wood shed in the second period by Eden Prairie. 4 unanswered goals in the second period and now trail 4-1 starting the third.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Sat Feb 22 3:12 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Feb 21 10:28 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:

Hard to say-- EP is apparently very good and peaking at the right time, and Chaska is no slouch. The Prior Lake team is a good team-- three solid lines of depth and solid, aggressive team defense. They transition very well and pounce into offensive mode extremely fast, and their forecheck is relentless. They are very unselfish with the puck and do a good job of forcing defenders to commit, then moving the puck to a teammate who is therefore in a better position to score. They have a fun compete level and make every puck a battle.

They do overpursue the puck, so a good team could take advantage of that by getting behind their overaggressive defense. And I don't think they have one player that stands out as being a gamebreaker, though I really enjoy Preston Lindholm's game-- he caused us fits.

So they could easily win the section or lose to Chaska today.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sat Feb 22 4:53 pm

Elk River upsets Grand Rapids
Blake beats Edina

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Feb 22 4:57 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sat Feb 22 4:53 pm
Blake beats Edina
Good and good.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Feb 22 5:14 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sat Feb 22 4:53 pm
Blake beats Edina
I was hoping the Thunderhawks would make it to State. Their fans are a lot of fun.

Edina losing means a private school will represent section 6AA.

Roseau beats St. Michael/Albertville

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Chris83 » Sat Feb 22 6:45 pm

Was really hoping Prior Lake would make it to get maximum new blood in the tourney. Oh well.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Feb 22 6:47 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Sat Feb 22 6:45 pm
Was really hoping Prior Lake would make it to get maximum new blood in the tourney. Oh well.
Chaska could/would be new blood too, but they’ll have their hands full on the big ice sheet at Mariucci vs Eden Prairie ☝️

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Feb 26 2:27 pm

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Feb 26 3:21 pm

Real lack of streaming options this year! Audio just isn't the same.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 26 3:32 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:21 pm
buy tickets.....most are cheap.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Feb 26 3:36 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:32 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
I would be more likely to go down to Mariucci if the first game wasn't two privates.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 10 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Wed Feb 26 3:51 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:36 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:32 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
I would be more likely to go down to Mariucci if the first game wasn't two privates.
So you’d rather it be edina vs wayzata that makes sense

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Feb 26 3:58 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:51 pm
If you ask every fan in the state which section they would prefer not to win the state championship, that one will win by a mile. So I wouldn't really care for most combinations. But public vs private adds a little intrigue.

Go Chaska (out of the four teams at Mariucci).

Go Roseau, Moorhead, Blaine, WBL, Burnsville, ER, Andover overall
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 26 4:33 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:58 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Wed Feb 26 3:51 pm
If you ask every fan in the state which section they would prefer not to win the state championship, that one will win by a mile. So I wouldn't really care for most combinations. But public vs private adds a little intrigue.

Go Chaska (out of the four teams at Mariucci).

Go Roseau, Moorhead, Blaine, WBL, Burnsville, ER, Andover overall
Head over to Aldrich tomorrow night.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Feb 26 6:58 pm

Roseau Moorhead for free!
https://www.spuds.tv/
Sick of LOSERVILLE