Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Mon Oct 21 6:53 pm

Dark Crimes:
A murder investigation of a slain businessman turns to clues found in an author's book about an eerily similar crime. Based on the 2008 article "True Crimes - A Postmodern Murder Mystery" by David Grann.

Bordered on "too arty" for me, but never crossed that line. While I dislike Jim Carrey overall, he's good in this. Some nice twists and head games, I will say it wastes no time in getting the R rating, I was rather surprised they didn't go the unrated route/got the R rating. It's a dark movie, not for everyone, but worth a shot.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 23 9:36 pm

The Intern:

For an outreach program, a hip e-commerce company hires a retiree.

Yes, it's the DeNiro/Hathaway movie. 100% light-hearted, generation gap, tug at the heart strings, comedy (dramedy? I don't think it reached that level), run of the mill movie. But I enjoyed it. It was a nice break to just sit back and not think about anything, and enjoy what I was watching. It wasn't TOO "anything." It just was what it was, and they were fine with presenting that. A touch better than a "Saturday Afternoon Time-Killer" but not "I want to see it, better add it to my list."
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Oct 25 6:57 pm

Dolemite Is My Name

The story of how Rudy Ray Moore created the character Dolemite, and its success.

If you don't know the character, I'd say you'd have to watch the original "Dolemite" blaxploitation movie first. This is a fan's movie, through and through. I loved it, and it gives context to the overall reasons why blaxploitation movies were what they were (FTR, I love the genre). A LOT of big names in the cast, including Eddie Murphy, Snoop Dogg, Keegan-Michael Key, Craig Robinson, Chris Rock, Mike Epps, and Wesley Snipes. The movie itself rings of the actual movie they were trying to make in the first place. Make it a double-feature night, in my opinion.

Edit: the original movie's trailer, NSFW:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Oct 27 7:02 pm

Leave No Trace:
Father/daughter living off the grid in the Pacific Northwest, doing fine until someone happens to find them, and social services gets involved.

Slow and methodical, but enjoyable. Equal balance of viewpoints on how some people want to live, how some people feel they have to live due to other things going on, and the difficulties doing so (especially with a young adult coming of age). I liked that the movie didn't shun, nor celebrate, the homeless-by-choice lifestyle. I think that was what made the movie. Worth a gander, if you're curious about such things.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Oct 28 9:29 pm

Tell Me Who I Am.

New Netflix doc.
Boy loses his memory at 18 in a motorcycle crash, and his twin brother decided to hide his childhood from him as he had a chance to reform all his memories. Of course, the ruse didn’t last forever.

This is one weird story. Jebus. The brothers are interviewed/asked to tell their story separately, then both are sat in a room to talk to each other about it all. It's really messed up.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Oct 29 6:10 pm

Time Trap:
A professor enters a cave and goes missing. Some of his students come looking for him and get trapped in the cave as well.

Forget about the cast. You won't give two craps about them. The concept of the movie, though, is good, and it was done decently. There's nothing groundbreaking, but as the movie goes on, it's fun to figure out when everyone else is going to figure things out.

Rattlesnake:
When a single mother accepts the help of a mysterious woman after her daughter is bitten by a rattlesnake, she finds herself making an unthinkable deal with the devil to repay the stranger.

YAWN. Stopped it after about 15-20 minutes, because it really sucked. I halfway tried to find the ending on the internet, but even that wasn't worth it, so I stopped trying. One could probably predict the gist of it.

The Command:
The film follows the 2000 K-141 Kursk submarine disaster and the governmental negligence that followed. As the sailors fight for survival, their families desperately battle political obstacles and impossible odds to save them.

Based on fact, and of course some truths were bent a bit for dramatic effect. However, still a solid movie, and I thought it was well-done, especially showing the seamen's despair/emotions. I would definitely recommend this one.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Oct 29 6:16 pm

Probably gonna see the Lighthouse tonight. Looks crazy.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Oct 29 9:10 pm

That movie was f*** up
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Oct 31 9:23 pm

The Commuter:
It follows a man who is unwittingly recruited into a murder conspiracy after meeting a mysterious woman while on his daily train commute.

The plot? Decent. The execution? It was like handing a 3 year old prodigy a 64-count crayola set, a paint-by-numbers, and he takes 3 crayons and makes some scribbles and calls it a day. What a pile of steaming sh*, even for a mindless action/suspense movie.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Nov 02 11:20 pm

Saw Joker today.

Wow. Really really really well done by Joaquin.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Nov 04 9:53 pm

Rube...I found the perfect movie for you. Parasite by Boog Joon-Ho. I love his films and this seems right up your alley.
Smart, twisty, very well acted.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Nov 04 10:08 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Nov 04 9:53 pm
Rube...I found the perfect movie for you. Parasite by Boog Joon-Ho. I love his films and this seems right up your alley.
Smart, twisty, very well acted.
It has been on the list.....;)
I have heard many good things.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 05 8:56 pm

Den Of Thieves:
An elite unit of the LA County Sheriff's Dept. and the state's most successful bank robbery crew clash as the outlaws plan a seemingly impossible heist on the Federal Reserve Bank.

Pretty solid caper heist, despite the cliches: main bad guy versus main good guy (the cop, who obviously has a troubled marriage that has no real bearing on anything), some twists and turns.

I can sum it up like this: Heat V2. ;) Good watch, though.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 08 1:59 pm

Those crazy roller-blading Ducks!! https://www.battleofcali.com/2013/9/27/ ... e-analyzed

Someone analyzes where the Ducks roller-bladed using TC landmarks and estimates they did over 43 miles!! :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Nov 11 5:02 pm

I saw the movie “Midway” today. If you’re a WWII buf, it would be a good idea to get out and see this movie soon. Not a big budget or huge stars (so likely won’t be in theaters for a long run time) but despite that, they did a terrific job telling the story of the most critically important naval battle in the history of the USA☝️

The special effects were excellent during the aviation battle scenes, which were a huge part of the story. And I really liked the way they told the story too...relating to the key participants, both American & Japanese, in this historic naval battle 👍👍👍

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Nov 11 6:51 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Nov 11 5:02 pm
I saw the movie “Midway” today. If you’re a WWII buf, it would be a good idea to get out and see this movie soon. Not a big budget or huge stars (so likely won’t be in theaters for a long run time) but despite that, they did a terrific job telling the story of the most critically important naval battle in the history of the USA☝️

The special effects were excellent during the aviation battle scenes, which were a huge part of the story. And I really liked the way they told the story too...relating to the key participants, both American & Japanese, in this historic naval battle 👍👍👍
Saw the original in 1976 with Heston and Fonda. Seeing this one on Thursday. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Nov 11 9:17 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Nov 11 6:51 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:

Saw the original in 1976 with Heston and Fonda. Seeing this one on Thursday. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.
I have a sentimental place in my heart for the 1976 version... but it's really not that good of a movie, especially if you know the history. They sort of hit the high points, but overall, just not good. From everything I've heard, the new one is incredibly well done.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Nov 11 10:10 pm

For the new one, I've heard they tried to cram way too much detail into a short time. LOTS to take in. This isn't necessarily a BAD thing, but be prepared.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Mon Nov 11 10:49 pm

I rarely go to movies but this is one I have to see. Wife will probably pass so it looks like I'll be going solo.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Tue Nov 12 6:31 pm

Thankfully, my wife likes war movies (and westerns). Would have gone last Friday, but I was up north for deer season. We'll be going Thursday night.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Nov 12 6:34 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Nov 11 9:17 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Nov 11 6:51 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:

I have a sentimental place in my heart for the 1976 version... but it's really not that good of a movie, especially if you know the history. They sort of hit the high points, but overall, just not good. From everything I've heard, the new one is incredibly well done.
I believe the original was in Sensaround.
GPL's official source of trivia.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Nov 12 9:04 pm

Based on the technology they had in 1976, the original was well done. But the CGI in the new film is even better than in the movie Pearl Harbor (with Affleck) which is to be expected, since that was slmost 20 years ago. They covered a lot (Pearl Harbor, Doolittle raid, very briefly Coral sea battl), but the actual Midway battle is shown in enough detail with excellent CGI (although the 1976 film probably covered the actual Midway battle in a bit more detail regarding how difficult it was to find the Jap carriers that day and some battles between Wildcat fighter & Zero fighters). But all in all, they did a great job with the updated movie ☝️
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Tue Nov 12 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 12 9:08 pm

The King

About how King Henry V came into power, then took on France. Pretty solid movie, loved the action (which was quite minimal overall, they went for quality over quantity), didn't really go over the top with uber-dramatic moments whether it was dealing with the politics of the situation, or the battle scenes. It was just a nice above-average constant flow. I do recommend this.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Nov 12 9:11 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Nov 11 10:10 pm
For the new one, I've heard they tried to cram way too much detail into a short time. LOTS to take in. This isn't necessarily a BAD thing, but be prepared.
I completely agree with the criticism. The CGI was very well done, the battle scenes were spectacular, but the human aspect got a very short shift. I really think a BIG story like this would have been far better showcased in a limited series, HBO or such. You didn’t get any depth to the real people involved because they had to cram in too much battle info. On that they did a good job, but without a human connection, it doesn’t make it real.
I’ll use the recent example of “Chernobyl”. You needed to get to know the people to make that tragedy hit, otherwise it’s just a horror story, same with “Midway”. I wish I would have left the theater and felt more, not just be impressed with the battle scenes.
-John Wayne

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Nov 12 9:22 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:11 pm
The Rube wrote:
I completely agree with the criticism. The CGI was very well done, the battle scenes were spectacular, but the human aspect got a very short shift. I really think a BIG story like this would have been far better showcased in a limited series, HBO or such. You didn’t get any depth to the real people involved because they had to cram in too much battle info. On that they did a good job, but without a human connection, it doesn’t make it real.
I’ll use the recent example of “Chernobyl”. You needed to get to know the people to make that tragedy hit, otherwise it’s just a horror story, same with “Midway”. I wish I would have left the theater and felt more, not just be impressed with the battle scenes.
I agree that an HBO miniseries format would have told the story considerably better. ☝️But the actual lead up to the battle, they accurately conveyed what a huge gamble Nimitz took, how desperate the circumstances were, and iif the battle had went the other way, the huge ramifications that would have ensued for (at a minimum) the Hawaiian Islands. And I thought the CGI on some of the dive bombing scenes was visually over the top (from the vantage point of the attacking pilots). But again, based on who starred in the movie and accordingly the budget spent...I thought they did a good job,

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Nov 12 9:28 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:22 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:11 pm
The Rube wrote:
I agree that an HBO miniseries format would have told the story better. But the actual lead up to the battle, they accurately conveyed what a huge gamble Nimitz took, how desperate the circumstances were, and iif the battle had went the other way, the huge ramifications that would have ensued for at least the Gawain Islands. And I thought the CGI on something of the dice bombing scenes was visually over the top (from the vantage point of the attacking pilots). But again, based on who starred in the movie and accordingly the budget spent...I thought they did a good job, ☝️
Oh I’d recommend it, and it’s the type of film that needs a big screen. I just would have liked a more personal touch, it would have resonated more.
But I will admit to gobbling my popcorn during the aerial scenes! Very exciting.
-John Wayne

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Nov 12 9:37 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:08 pm
The King

About how King Henry V came into power, then took on France. Pretty solid movie, loved the action (which was quite minimal overall, they went for quality over quantity), didn't really go over the top with uber-dramatic moments whether it was dealing with the politics of the situation, or the battle scenes. It was just a nice above-average constant flow. I do recommend this.
I thought there was some excellent acting performances in this
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 12 9:43 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:37 pm
The Rube wrote:
The King

The kid who played Henry V reminded me a bit of Cillian Murphy in his demeanor/performance.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by Karlsson » Wed Nov 13 12:32 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:43 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
The Rube wrote:
The King

The kid who played Henry V reminded me a bit of Cillian Murphy in his demeanor/performance.
I've been meaning to watch this. Pattinson as The Dauphin seems like a great choice.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Nov 13 6:27 pm

Bad Moms.

In a hotel tonight and it is on TV. I don’t know if it is a good movie or not, not the person to ask. That being said, I have laughed and the cast is hot! Good stuff.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Nov 13 10:52 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Nov 13 12:32 pm
The Rube wrote:
Tue Nov 12 9:43 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
The Rube wrote:
The King

I've been meaning to watch this. Pattinson as The Dauphin seems like a great choice.
I know I saw The Lost City Of Z, but I do not remember him. Haven't seen anything else he's been in, because most of it looks like it sucks. :wink:

That being said, he does a GREAT job as The Dauphin.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 19 8:52 pm

Outlaw/King

About the rise of Robert The Bruce. Basically, Braveheart Part II. Still entertaining, and unlike The King, this went for the action mindset. I cannot say it's as good a movie, but I also cannot say it's not worth watching. Better than a time-killer, but by no means cerebral.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 21 10:34 pm

Vice.

Probably the worst movie to watch during this time of political chaos. About Cheney. Great cast. Good acting. Honestly, it didn't know whether to be a satire or a true scathing bio-pic. The styles clashed with one another. While entertaining to see, and worth seeing, I wasn't all on board because of it. If they chose one style over the other, I have no doubt I'd be lauding this movie to no end. Each style, separately, would have been very excellent, given how they did it. Mashed together? Eh, I guess. If that's how they wanted it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 26 9:27 pm

Rocketman:
Elton John biopic.
Fun at times, dark at times. The casting was EXCELLENT. The presentation was certainly different. From what I know, and checking on imdb, this movie shows his faults as well as his difficult private life. Everyone compared it to Bohemian Rhapsody, so I might as well join the crowd:

I think this was a bit more irreverent, which of course fits John's career style. He was SO over the top, much more than Mercury, and that's saying something. I love how over the course of the movie, current Elton is deconstructed back to just a regular guy, by discarding parts of his costume. Very well done. I do recommend this movie.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Nov 27 9:37 pm

The Irishman:

About Frank Sheeran and his alleged role in the Hoffa disappearance.

This is a Scorcese epic, for sure. All star cast. The acting was great, I have a nitpick with the digital de-aging of the actors, sometimes it looked too artificial, but that is just looking for a fault. Those who are familiar with mafia movies will pick up on the code speak INSTANTLY. Those who are not, it may take little bit. Goodfellas laid it out for you. They don't explain it as much in this one (the obvious example is "I heard you paint houses").

3.5 hours long, meticulous, and worth it. Highly recommend. De Niro/Pacino are the big 'uns, but Pesci is a real diamond in the rough here.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Nov 29 9:56 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Nov 27 9:37 pm
The Irishman:

This is a Scorcese epic, for sure. All star cast. The acting was great, I have a nitpick with the digital de-aging of the actors, sometimes it looked too artificial, but that is just looking for a fault. Those who are familiar with mafia movies will pick up on the code speak INSTANTLY. Those who are not, it may take little bit. Goodfellas laid it out for you. They don't explain it as much in this one (the obvious example is "I heard you paint houses").

3.5 hours long, meticulous, and worth it. Highly recommend. De Niro/Pacino are the big 'uns, but Pesci is a real diamond in the rough here.
Agree 100% regarding Pesci’s performance, one of his best ever...and he never raises his voice, not once. ☝️ Ditto on everything else from your review (Rube) & I LOVED how they brought back characters from Goodfellas (the girl who got busted with Ray Liotta’s character in the car, who had to go get her lucky hat before she’d fly) played Pacino’s wife. And Arties wife from the Sopranos played Pesci’s wife (to name a couple). A film at 3.5 hours that is perfect for Netflix viewers. Simply Outstanding 👍

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Nov 29 1:14 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. Took me three days and a couple naps to finish it. The priest at the end in the home is an actual priest I have seen on cable news. Great story of a soldier turned hit man who followed orders,

overtheboards
Rookie
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by overtheboards » Fri Nov 29 8:46 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Nov 27 9:37 pm
The Irishman:

I liked it but I went to one of the cinema showings and I got a bit restless as it was starting to wind down, it's a long three+ hours.. if I watched on netflix I think I would watch it in two halves which maybe would feel different. Definitely recommend though.. Pacino and the whole 'big three' kill it. Loved the dialogue and execution.. made it worth the length overall

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 12:31 am

Great movie. What is likely to be the last great film together for three gangster movie legends unless another worthy story comes along.

Makes me want to watch Scarface and Goodfellas this weekend.
Loserville, USA

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Nov 30 8:40 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Nov 29 1:14 pm
I really enjoyed this movie. Took me three days and a couple naps to finish it. The priest at the end in the home is an actual priest I have seen on cable news. Great story of a soldier turned hit man who followed orders,
I wanted a nap in the middle at the theater! Parts of this film are a masterpiece. Pesci is at his all time high. BUT, Marty needs someone who can tell him no.
3 1/2 hours is at least an hour too long. If you can’t tell a story more efficiently, a film suffers. This film suffered because of the length. There was nothing that demanded almost 4 hours other then ego, ego that should have been satisfied years ago with better examples he’s already filmed.
This film ended up on Netflix because studios bulked at Scorses insistence on length. No cinema wanted a film that long, it creates havoc for showtimes. This film was in limbo for almost 7 years. Netflix offered screening literally because viewers could pause, that’s not a good sign, that’s the sign of a director who is indulgent and ego driven.
-John Wayne

overtheboards
Rookie
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by overtheboards » Sat Nov 30 10:56 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Nov 30 8:40 am
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Nov 29 1:14 pm
I wanted a nap in the middle at the theater! Parts of this film are a masterpiece. Pesci is at his all time high. BUT, Marty needs someone who can tell him no.
3 1/2 hours is at least an hour too long. If you can’t tell a story more efficiently, a film suffers. This film suffered because of the length. There was nothing that demanded almost 4 hours other then ego, ego that should have been satisfied years ago with better examples he’s already filmed.
This film ended up on Netflix because studios bulked at Scorses insistence on length. No cinema wanted a film that long, it creates havoc for showtimes. This film was in limbo for almost 7 years. Netflix offered screening literally because viewers could pause, that’s not a good sign, that’s the sign of a director who is indulgent and ego driven.
I agree but people who make great movies usually don't get there without having some kind of ego.. I think the ambition that the movie shows on the whole benefits from it. It's not perfect but still aspects are masterful as you said

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 1:19 pm

2019 was a good year for movies with Joker, Irishman, Ford v Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Avengers (didn't see that one but millions love it).

Hopefully Star Wars is at least a solid finale.
Loserville, USA

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Nov 30 1:52 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 1:19 pm
2019 was a good year for movies with Joker, Irishman, Ford v Ferrari, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Avengers (didn't see that one but millions love it).

That’s the most positive thing I’ve heard out of Bonin21 in 2019 😉

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 1:54 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 1:52 pm
Bonin21 wrote:

That’s the most positive thing I’ve heard out of Bonin21 in 2019 😉
You know what you get with movies! And Formula 1 has been pretty good this year. It's just MN sports that can totally break someone down and you have to have other stuff to depend on!
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 5:10 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

The Richard Jewell one looks good, I really liked Zombieland 2, the new Terminator looked good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 8:48 pm

The Team That Changed The World:

Documentary about the Harlem Globetrotters. It could've had a little more depth, but a quality 60 minute doc. This is older, 2005, dunno how I missed it the first time around. To this day, many people don't realize how GOOD you have to be at the fundamentals of bouncyball to realize how good the 'Trotters really are. To get on that team, you don't only have to be GREAT you ALSO have to be a showman. I digress, and will state that the boundaries that this team broke down, is really impressive.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 01 3:37 pm

No good football on, day off tomorrow....time to re-watch the Swedish "The Girl With.." trilogy. It's so good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Dec 02 10:05 pm

The Irishman was very good, but like others here, I watched it over several days (about 45 minutes per sitting).

DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino were all great, but the actor who played Tony Pro was fantastic.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Dec 02 10:59 pm

Agree on Tony Pro (the actor who played him)👍

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Dec 02 11:04 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:05 pm
The Irishman was very good, but like others here, I watched it over several days (about 45 minutes per sitting).

DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino were all great, but the actor who played Tony Pro was fantastic.
Yeah, he played the a-hole quite nicely. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 02 11:13 pm

He stole the show from Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire too. Al Capone.
Loserville, USA

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Dec 02 11:17 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I know the actor you're talking about. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't remember what else I've seen him in. Eventually looked it up. He's been in a lot. :mrgreen:

Figured it out, though. I remember him from Gangs of New York and Band of Brothers.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 04 11:14 am

Currently under construction.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Dec 04 12:29 pm

I saw Knives Out last night. It was a fun movie. Daniel Craig looked like he was having a blast acting in it. Definitely worth a trip to the theater.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Dec 04 12:40 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Dec 04 11:14 am
This may be a controversial take but while Daniel Craig has been a great Bond, I've found the more recent Mission: Impossible movies to be more entertaining that the more recent Bond movies. I liked the most recent MI movie better than any of the Craig Bond movies.
GPL's official source of trivia.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Dec 04 12:41 pm

I thought Casino Royale and Spectre were great. The others were kind of meh.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Dec 04 1:15 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04 12:41 pm
Casino Royale and Skyfall are 2 of my favorite all-time Bond movies. Quantum is easily the worst of the Craig era, and pretty far down the list overall. Spectre was okay for me. Other than Quantum I have found them all to be at least enjoyable, and I will definitely be seeing this one.

The Pierce Brosnan ones were laughable.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Dec 04 1:28 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 1:15 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Casino Royale and Skyfall are 2 of my favorite all-time Bond movies. Quantum is easily the worst of the Craig era, and pretty far down the list overall. Spectre was okay for me. Other than Quantum I have found them all to be at least enjoyable, and I will definitely be seeing this one.

No. Goldeneye was top notch. One of my favorite Bond movies ever. Everything after that was crap.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 04 1:38 pm

IMO Casino Royale was the only truly great Craig one and it's not close.
Loserville, USA

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Dec 04 5:04 pm

Just saw 21 Bridges. WOW...it was really GOOD👍And only 90 minutes long but PACKED with great action. Taylor Kitsch plays one of the bad guys (TK is a favorite of mine), he’s terrific, as are Stephan James, JK Simmons & Sienna Miller. But the lead in the movie, Chadwick Boseman, steals the show, he’s Excellent 👍

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 04 9:24 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04 1:28 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 1:15 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:

No. Goldeneye was top notch. One of my favorite Bond movies ever. Everything after that was crap.
I'm not a Bond fan. Goldeneye was God damn excellent.

The Cincinnati Kid:
Up and coming poker gambler ends up taking on the best in the business. Solid movie. Kept you wondering what kind of ending it would be, as it should be. Some nice foreshadowing, some nice red herrings. If you know poker at all, that's a bonus; you find yourself trying to read the hands.

Plus....Ann-Margret. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Dec 05 10:50 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Words cannot describe how excited I am for this.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Dec 09 11:01 pm

The Killing Machine:
A Soviet-trained assassin is determined to escape his double life as a hitman and as a husband-father.

Stars, and is directed by, Dolph Lundgren.

Yep, that's the review. I think everyone can determine for themselves whether or not they want to watch this. It was a time killer for me, at best.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Dec 10 8:28 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 09 11:01 pm
The Killing Machine:
A Soviet-trained assassin is determined to escape his double life as a hitman and as a husband-father.

Yep, that's the review. I think everyone can determine for themselves whether or not they want to watch this. It was a time killer for me, at best.
Yeah, you're right, I think that's pretty much anyone needs to know. Probably going to pass. I really like Lundgren in this kind of movie... as a supporting actor.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Tue Dec 10 3:48 pm

What's everyone think of the "Wonder Woman 1984" and "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" trailers?

I liked the 1st WW, so seeing the 80s come into play (was a fan of the Linda Carter WW) was nice.
I didn't even realized they were doing another Ghostbusters movie. I'll admit the trailer has me intrigued.
Last edited by Superstar on Wed Dec 11 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 10 9:42 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:28 am
The Rube wrote:
The Killing Machine:

Yeah, you're right, I think that's pretty much anyone needs to know. Probably going to pass. I really like Lundgren in this kind of movie... as a supporting actor.
The Expendables movies were great, because they didn't pretend to be anything they are not. This tried.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 10 10:43 pm

Superstar wrote:
Tue Dec 10 3:48 pm
What's everything think of the "Wonder Woman 1984" and "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" trailers?

I liked the 1st WW, so seeing the 80s come into play (was a fan of the Linda Carter WW) was nice.
I didn't even realized they were doing another Ghostbusters movie. I'll admit the trailer has me intrigued.
WW84 looks really good. I love Gal Gadot. She's a perfect fit for that character. I'm excited for it.
Haven't seen the trailer for Ghostbusters yet but it seems like the trailer has piqued a lot of interest.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 10 10:49 pm

I haven't seen the trailer for either, excited for both. From what I've heard, it's proper respect for the movies forthcoming. They are not simply cashcows. There is thought behind them.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 10 11:02 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Dec 05 10:50 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Words cannot describe how excited I am for this.
Me too. I’ve enjoyed Craig as Bond and will miss him in the role.

Goldfinger is still my favorite of them all.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Dec 11 8:08 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:42 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:28 am
The Rube wrote:
The Killing Machine:

The Expendables movies were great, because they didn't pretend to be anything they are not. This tried.
Agreed. They were quite shameless with the "How many action stars can we pack into one movie" thing.. and it worked. And, Chuck Norris delivering a Chuck Norris fact/joke was the icing on the cake in #2

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Laxref » Thu Dec 12 9:41 pm

So, uh, Adam Sandler and Kevin Garnett, and it looks damn good..
NSFW

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Dec 12 9:54 pm

That does look good.

Buddy gave me access to Disney+. So far this week:
Lady And The Tramp (only the best Disney animated movie ever)
Robin Hood
Fox And The Hound

Rolling through the classics for now.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Dec 12 10:04 pm

When my oldest boy was younger I think he watched the Fox and the Hound 50 times. “Look at me, I’m a hound dog” aaaoooooooo!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Dec 12 10:06 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Dec 12 10:04 pm
When my oldest boy was younger I think he watched the Fox and the Hound 50 times. “Look at me, I’m a hound dog” aaaoooooooo!
I had forgotten how "new" that was. Corey Feldman and Kurt Russell with voices in the movie?! :shock:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Dec 13 9:29 pm

John Wick 3: Parabellum

John Wick is on the run after killing a member of the international assassin's guild, and with a $14 million price tag on his head, he is the target of hit men and women everywhere.

This series started out with substance with some really creative action sequences. Since then, the balance has been leaning towards more action than substance, and this is one is more like the Crank franchise. While enjoyable, they could have eased up on the Michael Bay-ness. I recommend the Jumbo Popcorn size for this installment.

TheRube33 on UnTappd