2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Handyman » Tue Aug 06 11:16 am

Didnt the Athletic even say Boldy was a good pick in their article where they burned Fenton to the ground?

Unless you have seen both play a bunch of times (that means more than a couple of games in some tourny) I guess I dont know how anyone could be sure one is better than the other. I have seen neither play (as I am suspecting is the case with many people) so i cant say who is better either way.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Aug 06 12:01 pm

It’s a moot point now, we simply have to hope Boldy turns into something special down the road... I’m certainly not hoping for Caufield to light it up next season for the BADgers.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Aug 06 12:28 pm

Pronman gave them a B, "I love Matthew Boldy at 12th-overall, could be a top line forward in the NHL.... no Day 2 pick by Minnesota I hated, but none that I loved either... Wild system was thin coming into the weekend, and I thought they helped move in the right direction."

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by team22tank » Tue Aug 06 12:33 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Aug 06 12:28 pm
Pronman gave them a B, "I love Matthew Boldy at 12th-overall, could be a top line forward in the NHL.... no Day 2 pick by Minnesota I hated, but none that I loved either... Wild system was thin coming into the weekend, and I thought they helped move in the right direction."
Again, going back to where this started. If you want to RIP Fenton there are many things to sift thru in the article.

People in the organization didnt like his Son getting the gig he did. But Russo pointed out that didnt make the 2019 draft an issue, in fact it received a good grade.

It would be like complaining about giving up Coyle for Donato because Fenton did it, has to be bad.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Aug 06 4:10 pm

Coyle for Donato along with a 3rd round pick is the one trade Fenton made where he arguably won the trade...but time will tell.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Aug 06 4:19 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Aug 06 4:10 pm
Coyle for Donato along with a 3rd round pick is the one trade Fenton made where he arguably won the trade...but time will tell.
We will know more about this one in a year also. What Fiala does year one here and ultimately what Granlund's new deal is.

"Maybe Fenton will have ultimately gotten a steal. Granlund’s a year from a big payday that the Wild may have scoffed at, and we won’t know for some time if Fiala breaks through. Like Donato, Fiala is 23 and showed flashes of talent, so time will tell."
Last edited by team22tank on Tue Aug 06 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Aug 06 8:09 pm

I think the Wild will regret not picking Spencer Knight. Possible franchise goalie. You guys know you’re not making a deep playoff run with a stiff like Dubnyk flopping around.
The Panthers drafted him after they signed Bobrosky. Hmm...

J22
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 29 times

Post by J22 » Tue Aug 06 8:34 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:09 pm
I think the Wild will regret not picking Spencer Knight. Possible franchise goalie. You guys know you’re not making a deep playoff run with a stiff like Dubnyk flopping around.
Using a 1st round pick on a goaltender is not a great idea. Using a 1st round pick on a goalie and then signing a 30 year old golie to $10M per for 7 years might be the worst idea ever.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Aug 06 8:43 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:34 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Using a 1st round pick on a goaltender is not a great idea. Using a 1st round pick on a goalie and then signing a 30 year old golie to $10M per for 7 years might be the worst idea ever.
Why isn’t it a good idea?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Aug 06 9:11 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:43 pm
J22 wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:34 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Why isn’t it a good idea?
I think it's just that goalies are too hard to project what they can be when they're still only 18. The number of 1st rounders that never amounted to much in the NHL is much higher than the number that became stars. When you add in the fact that quite a few superstar goalies came from late in the draft, or weren't even drafted at all, I just feel like it's a bad idea to draft them in the 1st round.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Aug 06 11:05 pm

Yeah drafting a goalie first round would have been destroyed by the fanbase. Goalie wasnt the top need for the team and I say that as someone that thinks Doobs is overrated.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Aug 07 1:19 pm

Dave Tallon on Spencer Knight.

Well, he’s big, he’s mobile, he’s confident, he’s very calm in the net, nothing bothers him. He’s a great puck-handler and he’s got great hockey sense. He reads the play well and he’s gonna be like a third defenseman for us back there (with) his ability to read plays and move the puck, especially with the way the game is played today. He’s a great athlete that plays the position extremely well and he does it with a lot of calmness. They rarely come around, goaltenders like this.”

fightclub30
Veteran
Been liked: 18 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Aug 07 1:44 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Wed Aug 07 1:19 pm

Well, he’s big, he’s mobile, he’s confident, he’s very calm in the net, nothing bothers him. He’s a great puck-handler and he’s got great hockey sense. He reads the play well and he’s gonna be like a third defenseman for us back there (with) his ability to read plays and move the puck, especially with the way the game is played today. He’s a great athlete that plays the position extremely well and he does it with a lot of calmness. They rarely come around, goaltenders like this.”
Devan Dubnyk had a ton of high praise and was a high first round pick... Not too many Wild fans are super high on the guy right now. You want to do that again? Rick DiPietro? Other semi-recent first round goalie selections... Al Montoya, Malcolm Subban, Ilya Samsonov (still TBD)...

It is just too hard to predict NHL goaltending at 18 when most goalies don't break into the league until 23-24 years old. Henrik Lundqvist was a late round pick-up who didn't come to the NHL until age 23.

Spencer Knight could be great. Really hard to say, and tough to risk a first round pick on it especially when you team has a bigger problem with putting pucks in the opponent's net and there are usually some goal scorers available that are somewhat easier to predict.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Aug 07 2:36 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:

Whats your point? I bet we can find "experts" who say great things about every goalie who plays in the league.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Aug 07 2:45 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Aug 07 2:36 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:

Whats your point? I bet we can find "experts" who say great things about every goalie who plays in the league.
I mean there is nothing wrong with waiting a "sure thing" goalie prospect. But the fact of the matter is the Wild need players. A top 10 pick could potentially be playing in the NHL after the next two seasons. A goalie even if it worked out really well and he was starting at 23, is still 5 years away.

With the way we drafted from 2013-2017 and giving away round 1-3 picks every year we need to re stock. Hopefully the new GM will keep all of our picks for the next few years.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Aug 07 2:57 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Aug 07 2:36 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:

You could say that about Boldy as well. My original point was they need a guy who can finish. Caufield.
They need a goaltender who could possibly get them deeper into the playoffs. Knight.
Boldly could be a future All Star. I didn’t think he stood out at development camp or in the games I’ve seen on TV.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Aug 07 3:20 pm

Interesting. Found this old scouting report on Dooobs.
Yes he does have size. Pretty spot on.

Talent Analysis

Above all, Dubnyk possesses the one great talent no coach can teach: size. At 6'5.5 Dubnyk gives very little of the net up to opposition shooters with his hulking size. Very strong positioning and great rebound control are two other strong characteristics of Dubnyk's play in the net. Consistency is an issue and Dubnyk, despite taking up as much of the net as he does, still has a tendency to let in a soft goal and can get visually shaken by it. Mental maturity will help overcome that flaw.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/devan_dubnyk/#3atvFUMeWkYEtckI.99

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 07 4:05 pm

Rangers denied the Wild a chance to meet with Drury.

Why did the Wild bring in Modano and is he even seriously under consideration? Should he be?
Currently under construction.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Aug 07 4:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 07 4:05 pm
Rangers denied the Wild a chance to meet with Drury.

Why did the Wild bring in Modano and is he even seriously under consideration? Should he be?
Are you asking about Modano in consideration for our GM spot? If so, he is not in the running. He was brought in last year to help on the business side.

And now with the GM stuff popping up they are asking for his input as an X NHL player on this current GM search. Which I think is a good idea, since the only two people involved in the past was Leipold and CEO Matt.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Aug 07 4:15 pm

Personally, I think addressing the following is a bit more important:

Goals Scored: 210 total, good for 27th
5v5 goals: 156 total, good for 29th
Shooting percentage overall: 8.2% good for 31st - Dead F-ing Last!!!!
Shooting percentage 5-on-5: 6.4% good for 30th

We were shutout 11 times last season, many of them coming at home. We couldn't score a goal after January.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Aug 07 4:26 pm

Almost like they should have taken a pure goal scorer that was available
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Aug 07 5:15 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
So the San Jose Sharks made it to the Conference Finals... did they not???

Martin Jones regular season:
62 Games Played
2.94 GAA
.896 SV%

Martin Jones Playoffs:
20 Games Played
3.02 GAA
.898 SV%

Those numbers are far and away the worst of Martin Jones' career in both the regular season and playoffs. Yet the Sharks still made a deep run.

I am NOT saying the Wild are about to go on a deep run in the playoffs with Dubnyk. However, adding Dominic Hasek in his prime to a team with the 28th (or whatever) ranked offense isn't about to make them a cup contender either.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 111 times

Post by trixR4kids » Wed Aug 07 7:02 pm

I thought someone might’ve been mistaken when they said Malcolm Subban was licked in the first round but sure enough he was picked by Peter Chiarelli 😂

It was a fairly weak draft but looking at the goalies that came after him who are better, it’s still funny.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Aug 15 8:43 pm

Bill Guerin to get 2nd interview with the Wild. Will he the man to put out the dumpster fire?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Aug 15 9:00 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Aug 15 8:43 pm
Bill Guerin to get 2nd interview with the Wild. Will he the man to put out the dumpster fire?
OMG no more NJ Devils defensive trap style hockey.

Puke!

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Thu Aug 15 9:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Aug 15 9:00 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:

Puke!
They're looking for a GM not a coach

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 293 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Aug 16 8:03 am

Uh, huh.

GM dictates culture. Hires the coach, buys the groceries.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Aug 16 8:44 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Aug 15 9:00 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:

Puke!
I think Guerin is a little more accomplished as a player and NHL exec than 5 to 6 years playing for the Devils.

Every single team in the league runs a "trap" in the neutral zone. It is no longer a thing because it is universal, it is a big reason the two line pass was lifted in 2005.

It is no different than D-Zone coverage almost all teams are running a similar system if not identical.

What emphasis a coach puts on certain details, the players, ect. will vary but every one is doing it.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Aug 16 9:00 am

Guerin is an intriguing candidate because he has a great reputation around the league. He is known for his ability to scout talent (the Wild have lacked that for 10 years), he has been in charge of an AHL team as the GM (The Wild have lacked this for 10 years as well). He has also been part of a Stanley Cup organization very recently as an exec and prior as a player. He has a lot of diverse experience to draw from.

I would say he checks off a number of boxes.

My biggest concern is that after Leipold makes the next hire and doesn't take 3 or 4 steps backwards and remove himself from anything hockey related.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Fri Aug 16 10:20 am

Well, this goes back to North Star days, but there are several here that will remember.

Retired Thread Police

Greyeagle
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Aug 16 10:33 am

Iceburg wrote:
Fri Aug 16 10:20 am
Well, this goes back to North Star days, but there are several here that will remember.

Gosh that is sad to read; he was so damn good.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Aug 16 1:57 pm

Russo said on KFAN today that the underwhelming return in a Zach Parise trade was a one-for-one deal with the Wild retaining money.

So my guesses of trade partners are Chicago-Brent Seabrook, Vancouver-Loui Eriksson, Islanders-Andrew Ladd, Washington-Tom Wilson and Pittsburgh-Jack Johnson.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Aug 21 1:07 pm

Guerin the new GM.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Aug 21 3:07 pm

Hopefully a new set of eyes will see, and more importantly address the goaltending situation and leadership issues.

Get Spurgeon signed!

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Aug 21 3:35 pm

RFA Ek signed.

posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 21 3:41 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Wed Aug 21 3:07 pm

Get Spurgeon signed!
If they can add size to the blue line elsewhere then fine.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Aug 21 4:12 pm

Seeler. But they gave up on him last year. Probably cause Fenton acquired two new defensemen.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Aug 21 4:14 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Aug 21 3:35 pm
RFA Ek signed.

Pepe Lemieux is an agent? He is such a prick. Probably helps to have Guerin when dealing with him.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Aug 21 8:07 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Aug 21 4:12 pm
Seeler. But they gave up on him last year. Probably cause Fenton acquired two new defensemen.
Seeler is the same size as Brodin. Suter and Pateryn are bigger.

And no the organization never gave up on him.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Aug 21 8:32 pm

Suter plays smaller than he is.
Seeler plays bigger than he is.
I wish Seeler had Suter's talent & Suter had Seeler's edge / attitude / nasty.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Aug 22 6:52 pm

team22tank wrote:
Wed Aug 21 8:07 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Lol.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Aug 22 6:54 pm

Guerin thinks they can win. Now what he needs is control over that locker room and lots of buy in. He said he has high expectations. Good. He already interviews better than Fenton Clown Show. That's a step in the right direction.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Thu Aug 22 6:59 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22 6:54 pm
Guerin thinks they can win. Now what he needs is control over that locker room and lots of buy in. He said he has high expectations. Good. He already interviews better than Fenton Clown Show. That's a step in the right direction.
Now you know what's going on in the locker room too?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Aug 22 7:17 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22 6:52 pm
team22tank wrote:
Wed Aug 21 8:07 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Lol.
He is still here even under the old crazy GM and Bitetto is not. They gave up on him how?

Lol

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Aug 22 8:05 pm

I am convinced that Leipold is a dimwit.
I like the Guerin (and Modano) hire though.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Aug 22 8:24 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Aug 22 8:05 pm
I am afraid of that as well. I am happy a hockey guy with a pretty solid background got the job. I also like hearing a name like Doug Weight coming along to join Guerin. And I agree on Modano.

My hope is the Leipold will step back from the hockey stuff and empower the guy he hired to do his job. Leipold and CEO Matt can run their little country club, family resort type business but please stay away from trying to influence the hockey side.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Thu Aug 22 9:47 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu Aug 22 8:24 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Aug 22 8:05 pm
I am afraid of that as well. I am happy a hockey guy with a pretty solid background got the job. I also like hearing a name like Doug Weight coming along to join Guerin. And I agree on Modano.

My hope is the Leipold will step back from the hockey stuff and empower the guy he hired to do his job. Leipold and CEO Matt can run their little country club, family resort type business but please stay away from trying to influence the hockey side.
Two former Blues to boot. 👍

Leo does need to keep in the background. Hopefully Billy can convince him to.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Aug 26 7:29 pm

It's been entertaining watching NHL Wild fans flip their lids over the AHL Wild signing McLeod.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Aug 26 7:38 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Aug 26 7:29 pm
It's been entertaining watching NHL Wild fans flip their lids over the AHL Wild signing McLeod.
Same rubes hollering doooobs every time the puck hits him in the chest.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Aug 26 7:54 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Aug 26 7:38 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Mon Aug 26 7:29 pm
Same rubes hollering doooobs every time the puck hits him in the chest.
Meh, that's just a harmless cheer. These are more the people that scream shoot on the powerplay when they haven't even gained the offensive zone yet.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Aug 30 8:45 am

Good read from the Athletic, about Guerin. I don't think he is going to have any issues being a leader at the top & communicating exactly what he wants down to the players both at a team level and an individual level. If he can evaluate talent and draft, the Wild could have a well rounded GM.

https://theathletic.com/1169955/2019/08 ... -and-more/.

I never saw Fletcher as a good leader with the players and around the team. He came across as pretty insecure in regards to being able to communicate with the players, probably because he was never one himself and didn't have the confidence that he could act like he knew what he was talking about.

If a GM isn't going to take that role it seems important that they put people in place, assistant GM, ect. who can take that role on.

This quote always stuck with me when I read it, a little over a year ago.

Parise: I met him (Fenton, when he just got hired). It's tough to see right now. We haven't been together as a group yet. I've had Lou [Lamoriello] and I've had Chuck. Lou had his hands on everything. He knew everything that was going on. Chuck, I felt like, was more passive. Wasn't around the room as much. We'll see what Paul will be like. I don't know. It's hard to tell unless you're there. But obviously there haven't been any major personnel changes.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/245 ... -kovalchuk

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Sep 10 3:12 pm

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 55 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Sep 10 3:18 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 3:12 pm
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Glad I don't listen to the Wild on the radio as my ears would bleed if I head Mr Smug doing the Wild....
Also, not sad that Greenlay will be in the booth less. I love Louie, but time to move on from him too. Let's see what Carter can do.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Sep 10 3:34 pm

PA calling Wild games? I may puke!

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Sep 10 3:59 pm

Greenway is a disaster (and Dubnyk fluffer). Walz has great insight, just needs to polish his broadcasting skills. I like what I’ve seen from Ryan Carter. Louie is Louie.

Gotta bring in a hockey guy for the radio.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Tue Sep 10 4:02 pm

mr smugs head will get even bigger

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 4:05 pm

I think Carter will be good at it. Nanne would probably be ok if it's only a couple of times a year. Greenlay and Walz are both morons. Joe Odonnell is the radio guy for the baby Wild and is very good. Erickson and Falness are high school av club level. PA can't even keep up with an NFL game. He will get buried trying to do hockey.

All of the above are miles better than Ben Clymer.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 10 4:08 pm

Will Fiala sign? Lotta talk about hold outs ruining their season by missing training camp today. I'm sure I'll hear all about that being wrong after posting that. Be pretty tough pill to have nothing to show for Granlund.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 4:18 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 10 4:08 pm
Will Fiala sign? Lotta talk about hold outs ruining their season by missing training camp today. I'm sure I'll hear all about that being wrong after posting that. Be pretty tough pill to have nothing to show for Granlund.
What else is the GM supposed to say?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 10 4:24 pm

We're blaming Guerin now?

I don't think so. Stats seem to indicate holding out does not work.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 4:35 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 10 4:24 pm
We're blaming Guerin now?

I don't think so. Stats seem to indicate holding out does not work.
What was the contract offer? If Fiala being there for the 1st day of camp is really important, then it's just as much on Guerin to get him there as it is on Fiala. Blaming either side without knowing what was asked/offered is just dumb.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Sep 10 4:39 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Sep 10 3:34 pm
PA calling Wild games? I may puke!
I'd just avoid that game on the radio like the plague it was.
:BDTR:

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Sep 10 4:51 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 4:18 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GM Fired very late in the off season, new GM comes in just a bit ago. Is it really that big of a deal that they are trying to figure out one RFA deal? Considering every single player is at Captains Practice, the two season ending guys Koivu and Dumba by all accounts are in a good spot. Given everything going on with the organization I find it hard to make a big deal out of this at this point.

When was the deal offered? It sounds like just now?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 5:03 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Sep 10 4:51 pm
J22 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 4:18 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GM Fired very late in the off season, new GM comes in just a bit ago. Is it really that big of a deal that they are trying to figure out one RFA deal? Considering every single player is at Captains Practice, the two season ending guys Koivu and Dumba by all accounts are in a good spot. Given everything going on with the organization I find it hard to make a big deal out of this at this point.

When was the deal offered? It sounds like just now?
I don't think it's a big deal at all. I do think that it would probably be beneficial for everyone if he signed asap, but negotiations involve two sides. Not a fan of Guerin negotiating in the media though.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Sep 10 5:22 pm

Anyone not named Mike Greenlay will be an improvement.
Hopefully Tom Reid kept his elbows sharp so he can jab his part time radio partner to settle him down.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 10 5:34 pm

I'll side with the Wild and Guerin on this one.
But in 19 games with the Wild, he scored three goals and four assists, was minus-12 and led the Wild in giveaways in that span.
Hockey contracts are slotted and pretty much based on stats. I doubt the Wild low balled him. And they did start negotiating in the summer when his boy Fenton was at the helm.

https://theathletic.com/1199938/2019/09 ... amp-looms/

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 5:35 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 10 5:34 pm
I'll side with the Wild and Guerin on this one.
But in 19 games with the Wild, he scored three goals and four assists, was minus-12 and led the Wild in giveaways in that span.
Hockey contracts are slotted and pretty much based on stats. I doubt the Wild low balled him. And they did start negotiating in the summer when his boy Fenton was at the helm.

https://theathletic.com/1199938/2019/09 ... amp-looms/
What was the contract offer?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 10 5:40 pm

It's not published. Says so right in the article. I personally don't care. He's not worth whatever his ego is telling him.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 5:44 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 10 5:40 pm
It's not published. Says so right in the article. I personally don't care. He's not worth whatever his ego is telling him.
Yeah that's a sensible take.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Sep 10 6:14 pm

Sounds like he wouldn't be here at the beginning of camp anyway, due to visa issues.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 10 8:34 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 5:44 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
I rest my case. Perform you get paid.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 8:53 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 10 8:34 pm
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
You have no case because you don't even know what is being negotiated.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Sep 10 9:17 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 8:53 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
You are certain enough the Wild can offer a contract low enough to justify those results (against everything else) versus all other offers from elsewhere he would be foolish to turn down?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Sep 10 9:33 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 10 9:17 pm
J22 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 8:53 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
You are certain enough the Wild can offer a contract low enough to justify those results (against everything else) versus all other offers from elsewhere he would be foolish to turn down?
He's an RFA, there are no offers from elsewhere. I'm not saying that Fiala should be free from any blame in this, but to just decided that he's completely at fault and then take shots at his character is absurd.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Sep 10 9:51 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
That's what you are going with?

Then the Wild won the trade, he out performed Granlund. Whew dodged a bullet dumped that salary and dont have to worry about resigning him.