Restaurant

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 28 1:37 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Jul 28 11:09 am
Pig Ate My Pizza is top notch.
Best in town in my opinion. Black Sheep is really good too but it’s a different style of making it
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Orion » Sun Jul 28 5:10 pm

Any one know a good restaurant that has low fodmap and gluten free diet options?

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Armadillo » Sun Jul 28 7:27 pm

The Rube wrote:
Dear God, yes.

We went there the other night for my birthday, and had the Morning Maple. Maple Gruyere sauce, bacon, breakfast sausage, maple syrup, pickled egg, and a sunny-side up egg on top. All the drool.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 28 7:38 pm

I gladly ate aioli (whatever it's called) with zero complaints. Let's put it that way.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 28 7:41 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Sun Jul 28 7:27 pm
The Rube wrote:
Dear God, yes.

We went there the other night for my birthday, and had the Morning Maple. Maple Gruyere sauce, bacon, breakfast sausage, maple syrup, pickled egg, and a sunny-side up egg on top. All the drool.
My favorites are still the Korean BBQ and Piggy Pie but the Morning Maple is tight behind those two

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 23 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jul 28 9:10 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Jul 28 7:38 pm
I gladly ate aioli (whatever it's called) with zero complaints. Let's put it that way.
So you like mayo with garlic?! :poke:
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 28 9:13 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Jul 28 9:10 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Jul 28 7:38 pm
So you like mayo with garlic?! :poke:
I knew what it was, was not happy when it arrived, but the rest of it overpowered the aioli crap. That's how good the pizza is.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 28 10:45 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Sun Jul 28 7:27 pm
The Rube wrote:
Dear God, yes.

Didn't you say a Hawaiian is not a pizza?
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 29 2:51 am

I never got the love for Pig Ate My Pizza. It is overpriced and overpresented and hardly satisfying. Seems like a spot foodies would go so they can eat a meal they really want )pizza) but not sound lame while doing so. I was vastly underwhelmed.

Honestly it is some of the most mediocre pizza I have eaten. I would never choose to go back and I think Pizza is Mana From Heaven and I live like 3 miles away.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 29 8:02 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 29 2:51 am
I never got the love for Pig Ate My Pizza. It is overpriced and overpresented and hardly satisfying. Seems like a spot foodies would go so they can eat a meal they really want )pizza) but not sound lame while doing so. I was vastly underwhelmed.

Honestly it is some of the most mediocre pizza I have eaten. I would never choose to go back and I think Pizza is Mana From Heaven and I live like 3 miles away.
You mis-spelled Pizza Luce. :wink:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Mon Jul 29 9:09 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Jul 29 8:02 am
Handyman wrote:

And manna.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Mon Jul 29 11:20 am

Handyman wrote:

fe0bf67b5a092811366a577f6011c389edd0759dba0047eb3580b6a7803ee1b9.jpg

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Jul 29 2:38 pm

Pizza is too individual for me to hate on or even take a suggestion on. Try it and see or don’t.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 29 6:33 pm

The Korean rib pizza at Young Joni was fantastic. As was the corn on the cob in chili/lime butter. I drool as I type this.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Jul 29 6:42 pm

I love Pig Ate my Pizza. Haven’t been since they moved and started brewing beer. Need to get there and check it out.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 29 10:05 pm

sunbone wrote:
Mon Jul 29 6:42 pm
I love Pig Ate my Pizza. Haven’t been since they moved and started brewing beer. Need to get there and check it out.
Ditto. Also haven't been to Wort in a while, they make some good beer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Jul 29 10:55 pm

sunbone wrote:
Are they brewing now? They had to run guest taps for awhile

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 29 11:26 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jul 29 10:55 pm
sunbone wrote:
They didn't have to, they were allowed to. ;)

And if they are brewing, they got their brewpub license, and I believe that still allows them to have guest taps. I could be wrong.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Jul 30 2:34 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Jul 29 11:26 pm
davescharf wrote:
sunbone wrote:

And if they are brewing, they got their brewpub license, and I believe that still allows them to have guest taps. I could be wrong.
I thought there was some Government hold up which led to them opening with no beer of their own. I may be confused though and the issue was that they just had no beer ready

Edit: they didn’t have all their permits at the end of May. Assuming that’s resolved now

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Tue Jul 30 2:46 pm

davescharf wrote:
sunbone wrote:
I heard they were brewing but I’m not 100% sure. Guess I better stop there and investigate.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jul 31 11:03 am

The Rube wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Luce is overrated but one slice of their pizza at least fills you up. Pig was like paying $15 for cheese bread...with one shaving of cheese on it and barely any of whatever else was on it. I get they are pretentious and want to make it sound like their pizza is gourmet or something...but I also would like my stomach to be full if I am paying for it ;)

I am all for that stuff with other foods...pizza is not a delicacy though just give me my pie. Let the foodies ruin something else. :D

(all of this IMHO of course)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Wed Jul 31 6:59 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Jul 30 2:34 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Jul 29 11:26 pm
davescharf wrote:
sunbone wrote:

I thought there was some Government hold up which led to them opening with no beer of their own. I may be confused though and the issue was that they just had no beer ready

Edit: they didn’t have all their permits at the end of May. Assuming that’s resolved now
I guess they are waiting on one more permit which they expect to have within a month. Serving guest taps, some of which are collaborations between their head brewer and other breweries.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 31 10:09 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:03 am
The Rube wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Luce is overrated but one slice of their pizza at least fills you up. Pig was like paying $15 for cheese bread...with one shaving of cheese on it and barely any of whatever else was on it. I get they are pretentious and want to make it sound like their pizza is gourmet or something...but I also would like my stomach to be full if I am paying for it ;)

I am all for that stuff with other foods...pizza is not a delicacy though just give me my pie. Let the foodies ruin something else. :D

(all of this IMHO of course)
This time you mis-spelled "Jet's." :wink:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Mon Aug 05 12:10 am

The macaroni and cheese (with bacon and chiles) from Smalley's BBQ in Stillwater lives on at Portside in the same town.

I was extremely happy to learn of this, and even happier to taste it once again tonight.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 10 2:29 pm

Cam Ranh Bay (Hopkins, Vietnamese)

Heard good things, ordered the basic garlic beef/broccoli. First time anywhere, I order a basic dish, to see if they screw it up or not, and if it's good, I explore from there. This was quite tasty, the garlic not overdone (which I have found elsewhere), the place looks rather nice inside, staff was helpful/etc answering questions (this place is fairly new).

I definitely will be back to try some of their offerings.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 10 5:16 pm

Confirmed Parlour is the best burger in town. Unbelievable
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
103 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Aug 10 6:06 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Aug 10 5:16 pm
Only because Victory 44 is no more :)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 10 6:10 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Aug 10 6:06 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Only because Victory 44 is no more :)
I had V44 once before it closed. Was not blown away like both times at Parlour. Have to try Saint Dinette one more time and try Stewart's for the first time.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 10 7:24 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Have you tried Shortstop in Coon Rapids?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Sat Aug 10 10:12 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Had it a few months ago... and I thought it was very overrated. And expensive.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 10 11:04 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Sat Aug 10 10:12 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
You must have gotten a bad one... I've tried a ton of burgers around here and it's at the top of the Red Cow/Saint Dinette/Revival tier.

Price isn't a factor when I'm talking best overall burgers.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 10 11:04 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 10 7:24 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Have you tried Shortstop in Coon Rapids?
Don't get up there much

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Sat Aug 10 11:12 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Aug 10 11:04 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
You must have gotten a bad one... I've tried a ton of burgers around here and it's at the top of the Red Cow/Saint Dinette/Revival tier.

I have had a bigger and better tasting burger at Fuddruckers for half the cost. So to me... the build up of a Parlour burger was a huge disappointment.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 10 11:30 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Sat Aug 10 11:12 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

I have had a bigger and better tasting burger at Fuddruckers for half the cost. So to me... the build up of a Parlour burger was a huge disappointment.
You seem more of a Wendy’s guy. :lol:

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sat Aug 10 11:41 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 10 11:30 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Sat Aug 10 11:12 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

Parlour must have gotten his name right, ruined the whole experience.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Sat Aug 10 11:45 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
I stopped eating Wendy’s burgers when they switched from dill pickles to butter/candied pickles.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Aug 11 5:52 am

Jupiter wrote:
Sat Aug 10 11:45 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
I stopped eating Wendy’s burgers when they switched from dill pickles to butter/candied pickles.
I throw pickles off my burger faster than you say “no cheese.”

I had no idea they thought it was smart to go with butter pickles.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Aug 19 7:23 pm

Apparently the new chicken sandwich from Popeye's is for real and competes well with Chick Fil A's. But I've never even tried Popeye's since the reviews of every one around here are brutal...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 19 7:27 pm

I tried Popeye's once (Crystal) and every stereotype came true on that experience. One customer was ready to jump the counter to fight the employee, and it was early afternoon. The food itself was meh, at best. I was saddened, because I was looking forward to having Popeye's.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Aug 19 7:53 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 19 7:27 pm
I tried Popeye's once (Crystal) and every stereotype came true on that experience. One customer was ready to jump the counter to fight the employee, and it was early afternoon. The food itself was meh, at best. I was saddened, because I was looking forward to having Popeye's.
Never had a desire to try it but this looks decent.
https://www.grubgrade.com/reviews/revie ... m-popeyes/

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 19 10:18 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 19 7:27 pm
Crystal is Crystal....unless it’s Brooklyn Park.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Aug 19 10:55 pm

I don't expect the Bloomington or Richfield locations I'd be picking between would be any better.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Aug 19 11:26 pm

If you want Popeyes go to the real one in Minneapolis not the Louisiana Kitchen knockoffs line in Crystal.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Aug 20 9:48 am

Aren't all Popeye's "Louisiana Kitchen"?
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Aug 20 9:59 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Aug 20 9:48 am
I was wondering the same thing. Their website certainly says so.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Aug 20 10:30 am

I rarely ever eat fried chicken anymore but if I did I'd probably do Popeye's over Canes, Churches, or KFC or whatever (there's probably other options but I'm not familiar).
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Aug 20 2:58 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Aug 20 9:48 am
Same company but there is a difference. At least there is between the old Popeyes and the newer ones that were usually repurposed from something else. (like the Crystal One)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Aug 20 3:12 pm

Do the Najarian's still own the one on Lake St? I always found it funny that a surgeon would own a Popeyes. I guess he was creating his own customers :D

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Aug 20 6:55 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Aug 20 10:30 am
I rarely ever eat fried chicken anymore but if I did I'd probably do Popeye's over Canes, Churches, or KFC or whatever (there's probably other options but I'm not familiar).
I’m from Iowa where the only proper chicken is a BROASTED chicken!! :dup:
And a goddamn good wedding reception brings in the broasted chicken truck. That and a tapped keg. Classy, Iowa classy.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Tue Aug 20 7:05 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
I very rarely eat fried anything anymore which is why I’d go to Revival if I was going to eat fried chicken.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Aug 20 8:10 pm

sunbone wrote:
Tue Aug 20 7:05 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
I very rarely eat fried anything anymore which is why I’d go to Revival if I was going to eat fried chicken.
Yeah I still have never been there (lol I know) but this is probably what I’d do if I had a craving for it.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Aug 20 8:36 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Aug 20 6:55 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
And a goddamn good wedding reception brings in the broasted chicken truck. That and a tapped keg. Classy, Iowa classy.
You guys need to detour up thru Grandy ( N. of Cambridge about 3 miles on MN 65) to the Brass Rail.
Ch 4, I think it was, had a survey & she had the best broasted chicken in the state.
I'm here to tell you that the pieces look like the birds they come from are half turkey.
Castaways resort just south of Malmo also has good chicken and killer mashed 'taters & gravy.
Enough of these urban hipster spots.
Time to talk good old country joints.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 21 6:57 am

Kelly Red wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
I can honestly say that I've never been to a wedding in Iowa with a broasted chicken truck, must be a thing in some other region in Iowa than where I'm from. Most of the weddings that I've been to are pulled pork with several tapped kegs. Mine...was slow roasted lamb and kegs of Miller Lite and Busch Light. But I do wholeheartedly agree about proper chicken is broasted chicken.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Aug 21 8:44 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Aug 21 6:57 am
Kelly Red wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
I can honestly say that I've never been to a wedding in Iowa with a broasted chicken truck, must be a thing in some other region in Iowa than where I'm from. Most of the weddings that I've been to are pulled pork with several tapped kegs. Mine...was slow roasted lamb and kegs of Miller Lite and Busch Light. But I do wholeheartedly agree about proper chicken is broasted chicken.
Fun fact: Broasted chicken is actually trademarked. You can't call your chicken "broasted" unless you purchase the official equipment and license from the Broaster company.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Aug 30 9:23 am

A guy is suing Popeye's because they keep running out of their popular new chicken sandwich. :shrug_no:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bre ... ch/502385/

Has anyone had one yet?
GPL's official source of trivia.