2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 15 4:58 pm

Wrong. This year they have Boston, San Jose, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and Carolina. That's according to their formula.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 15 5:23 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 15 4:58 pm
Wrong. This year they have Boston, San Jose, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and Carolina. That's according to their formula.
By this year, do you mean the one that just concluded or this upcoming season?

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 15 5:26 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
San Jose, St. Louis, Boston, and Carolina only meet the criteria of making the Conference Finals.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 15 5:28 pm

J22 wrote:
Mon Jul 15 5:26 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
San Jose, St. Louis, Boston, and Carolina only meet the criteria of making the Conference Finals.
That guarantees the formula can never be wrong!

That's what I thought was odd about the idea. Season starts in October goes until June and somewhere around Mid May you can earn contender status.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 15 5:32 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jul 15 5:28 pm
J22 wrote:
Mon Jul 15 5:26 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
That guarantees the formula can never be wrong!
It also means that according to the formula, Tampa was the only true contender this year. How many playoff games did they win again?

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jul 17 4:08 pm

Wild Rank Seventh in Contract Efficiency
$ - https://theathletic.com/1078201/2019/07 ... fficiency/

Spoiler alert, it's because they don't have a single bad contract on their defense. If they're healthy for a full season, then the team should be right there until the end.

Luszczyszyn hates Dubynk's analytics, but his raw numbers never end up being that bad.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 17 6:20 pm

Yes. Health is key. They never have it.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Wed Jul 17 6:32 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 17 6:20 pm
That is true, and looking at the combination of older players, young players that are unproven, I don’t see the shiny side some do here. Time will tell, I’d like to see the squad get into the playoffs this year.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Jul 18 10:03 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Wed Jul 17 6:32 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 17 6:20 pm
That is true, and looking at the combination of older players, young players that are unproven, I don’t see the shiny side some do here. Time will tell, I’d like to see the squad get into the playoffs this year.
There are two ways of looking at it.

1. Are they better off then they were through 45 games last season prior to any of the moves? Only time will tell but I would take the current roster over last year's at that point. Only Nino and Coyle's production needs to be replaced at this point, two 40 point players.

Also, I am not sure how Fenton would have proceeded this off season if he still had Spurgeon, Granlund and Coyle on the last year of their deals. Would be bad news to lose any Wild player's to UFA.

2. In general are they going to be legit? Much tougher to answer until we get going. Really is that way across the league each year.

I think when some people "see the shiny side" it is being applied to #1, using what we had as a benchmark and what we have now.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 18 10:26 am

If they stay healthy they can make some noise. But, if they continue the injury train they're screwed. See the Twins. Twins still in first place but IMO there has been way to many injuries this season and it's probably got a lot to do with why it's only a 4 game gap right now.

The Lynx. The team that gets it done you could argue was going to get it done this year. They are decimated by injuries right now and are still competitive.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Handyman » Thu Jul 18 1:41 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Jul 18 10:26 am
If they stay healthy they can make some noise. But, if they continue the injury train they're screwed. See the Twins. Twins still in first place but IMO there has been way to many injuries this season and it's probably got a lot to do with why it's only a 4 game gap right now.

The Lynx. The team that gets it done you could argue was going to get it done this year. They are decimated by injuries right now and are still competitive.
The Twins only have a 4 game gap because Cleveland has yet to play any of the tough teams. Their September is like our July. While they are playing the Yankees and As we are playing KC, Detroit and Chicago during September callups. Not to mention Cleveland plays us like 10 more times and havent shown they can take enough games to make a difference.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 18 1:45 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Jul 18 1:41 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Jul 18 10:26 am

The Twins only have a 4 game gap because Cleveland has yet to play any of the tough teams. Their September is like our July. While they are playing the Yankees and As we are playing KC, Detroit and Chicago during September callups. Not to mention Cleveland plays us like 10 more times and havent shown they can take enough games to make a difference.
Yeah, that could be as well. I still think they've had too many bang ups already this summer. Fortunately nothing devastating yet.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Handyman » Thu Jul 18 7:38 pm

Oh the injuries definitely aren't helping...killed the Wild last year as well.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jul 19 12:08 pm

Minnesota Wild

In: Mats Zuccarello, Ryan Hartman
Out: Nate Prosser, Anthony Bitetto
Wins Added: 1.5 wins
Salary Added: $6.5M

The Wild thankfully did not trade Jason Zucker, didn’t lose anyone important and were able to add some reinforcements up front to an offensively-starved team. I think they’re better than they’re given credit for and Mats Zuccarello should provide a boost for next season, but it feels like an attempt to delay the inevitable rebuild track this team should be on.
https://theathletic.com/1084921/2019/07 ... offseason/

Author runs a statistical based win prediction calculator that's updated during the season. The 1.5 wins is calculated from that. Some teams did lose wins. Columbus I see was -7.5 for example.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jul 19 12:56 pm

While I don’t see the Wild a true contender the next five years, I don’t think they really can do a true rebuild. They almost had to proceed as they did, it’s just a matter of what you think of the additions they made.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 9:04 am

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Jul 23 9:27 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Fri Jul 19 12:56 pm
While I don’t see the Wild a true contender the next five years, I don’t think they really can do a true rebuild. They almost had to proceed as they did, it’s just a matter of what you think of the additions they made.
St. Louis didn't look like a contender either, and most people had them written off half way through the year. Wild is a mess, I agree, but hockey seems to be an outlier sport such that a good (not great) team can get hot and go on a late streak. I don't see the team winning with Parise and Suter, which was the master plan, but hope springs eternal.... that said, I would favor an overhaul and structure for the future.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 9:41 am

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:27 am
Thirty-Four wrote:
St. Louis didn't look like a contender either, and most people had them written off half way through the year. Wild is a mess, I agree, but hockey seems to be an outlier sport such that a good (not great) team can get hot and go on a late streak. I don't see the team winning with Parise and Suter, which was the master plan, but hope springs eternal.... that said, I would favor an overhaul and structure for the future.
Not sure why they are a mess? Again, if the benchmark is building off of what they had last year when the moves started.

If Spurgeon resigns they are locked in at D for the foreseeable future.

We are going to find out or start to, what they have in Fiala, Donato, Kunin, Greenway and Ek, there is a good chance that is 5 forwards in the top 9 all very young. If Kaprizov makes it over in one year that is one more forward to that young group.

I would be interested to know if the Wild in the last 10 years have ever had 5-6 forwards in their top 9 that young? Probably not.

If this group shows any promise, they will be fine. Because when they hit 25 years old we will actually have draft picks coming down the pipeline that are 21-22.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Jul 23 9:48 am

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:41 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Not sure why they are a mess? Again, if the benchmark is building off of what they had last year when the moves started.

If Spurgeon resigns they are locked in at D for the foreseeable future.

We are going to find out or start to, what they have in Fiala, Donato, Kunin, Greenway and Ek, there is a good chance that is 5 forwards in the top 9 all very young. If Kaprizov makes it over in one year that is one more forward to that young group.

I would be interested to know if the Wild in the last 10 years have ever had 5-6 forwards in their top 9 that young? Probably not.

If this group shows any promise, they will be fine. Because when they hit 25 years old we will actually have draft picks coming down the pipeline that are 21-22.
Zucker, Granlund, Coyle, Niederreiter, Haula, with Eriksson Ek and Graovac mixing in as well.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 9:58 am

J22 wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:48 am
team22tank wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:41 am

Zucker, Granlund, Coyle, Niederreiter, Haula, with Eriksson Ek and Graovac mixing in as well.
Zucker, Granlund, Coyle all turned 25 that year towards mid to end, Haula 26. So even that group is a bit older than what we have now.

Every young forward will be 23 or younger this entire season.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Tue Jul 23 11:41 am

"Mess" from the standpoint of the Parise-Suter experiment coming to fruition. I thought Ek was pretty good toward the end of the season, so glad to see the team didn't give up on him during his development. Greenway and Kunin are good physical players, but if they can't score consistently, it will be a set back.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 23 12:49 pm

They're not a mess if the following happens.

1. Dubnyk plays his best and is consistently playing it all season and the playoffs.
2. They stay healthy.
3. They get career average years out of the vets.
4. They have a couple of the youngsters break out.

If those (4) things happen then they will have a great season.

But, 1, 2, and 4 are highly unlikely with this franchise.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 3:19 pm

Long time AV Alex Tanguay going to be an assistant in Iowa.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Tue Jul 23 4:20 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jul 23 12:49 pm

1. Dubnyk plays his best and is consistently playing it all season and the playoffs.
2. They stay healthy.

#4 is the "Wild" card. They need Kunin, Ek and Greenway to score. They all had stretches last season when they came on and played well, but consistency is the currency of the NHL....#charliecoyle

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 4:36 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 23 4:20 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jul 23 12:49 pm

2. They stay healthy.

#4 is the "Wild" card. They need Kunin, Ek and Greenway to score. They all had stretches last season when they came on and played well, but consistency is the currency of the NHL....#charliecoyle
Last two season's average production over 82 games, Coyle 42.3, Nino 41.

I would have no hesitation betting 2 of these 3, Fiala, Donato, Kunin will get to those point totals on their own and maybe by a large margin. That still leaves Ek & Greenway, as long as those three improve their personal production it isn't hard to imagine the Wild being better off than the previous version and much younger.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jul 23 5:09 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
I don't think St. Louis is a good comparison, going into 2018-19, many pundits had them as a Conference Final level team, few had them missing the playoffs. They made two key moves and became what was predicted: They fired their coach and found a good goaltender sitting in a box in the attic. They missed the playoffs in 2017-18 by a point in the final game of the season after selling their best all around Center. This is not a rip the Wild, praise the Blues observation. The Blues found plenty of luck the last six months of the season, but expectations after the O'Reilly trade were very high. I don't think 50% of the " experts " are pencilling the Wild into the playoffs this coming season. Again, the Wild are doing what I would suggest as far as trying to piece together a run this coming season. We'll see how that plays out.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Tue Jul 23 5:23 pm

As they sit right now, no not a good comparison, but nobody was talking about the Blues winning a Stanley Cup. They put it together in the second half and proved to be the most resilient team. In a league where teams practically kill each other to win, that level of perseverance is as hot a commodity as talent. They "out toughed" everyone they played down the stretch.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jul 23 5:40 pm

The Blues were basically the back door BADgers SUCK of the NHL.
What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine
All a friend can say is, "Ain't it a shame?"

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 23 9:17 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 23 5:23 pm
As they sit right now, no not a good comparison, but nobody was talking about the Blues winning a Stanley Cup. They put it together in the second half and proved to be the most resilient team. In a league where teams practically kill each other to win, that level of perseverance is as hot a commodity as talent. They "out toughed" everyone they played down the stretch.
The Blues are a good example (not just related to the Wild) in that they didn't have to do "popular" full blown rebuild, stink for 3-5 years to maybe hit the jack pot for a Crosby and Malkin, blow it all up in the process.

They parted ways with productive core pieces over the stretch of a couple of seasons, Shattenkirk, Oshie, Backes, Stastny, Elliott and made some good moves and really were never in the gutter during that process.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jul 23 11:04 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:17 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 23 5:23 pm
The Blues are a good example (not just related to the Wild) in that they didn't have to do "popular" full blown rebuild, stink for 3-5 years to maybe hit the jack pot for a Crosby and Malkin, blow it all up in the process.

They parted ways with productive core pieces over the stretch of a couple of seasons, Shattenkirk, Oshie, Backes, Stastny, Elliott and made some good moves and really were never in the gutter during that process.
In fact, the Blues are a cautionary tale of just that approach. Erik Johnson is the big prize of 2006, a no doubt Tank For EJ banner child. Funny thing happened on the way to the Cup.

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Jul 24 12:01 am

The NHL is a copycat league... So is every team going to pull up their 5th string goalie in January and hope he plays lights-out for the remainder of the season?

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 30 12:13 pm

Paul Fenton gone after one season.
Wow.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 30 12:14 pm

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Jul 30 12:20 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tue Jul 30 12:13 pm
Wow.
Whoa.

Not sure if it is him being honest to his boss that it was going to require more than a mere tweak, or if he had a falling out with Suter who has the ear of Liepold.

Sure, his trades didn't work out altogether, but the Donato one is way too early to tell and Iowa is heading in the right direction too. But one year is a very short leash.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Tue Jul 30 12:20 pm

Thank God

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 12:20 pm

I guess this means that idiot ScoobyDoo was right about him all along.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 30 12:24 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Jul 30 12:20 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wow.
Whoa.

Not sure if it is him being honest to his boss that it was going to require more than a mere tweak, or if he had a falling out with Suter who has the ear of Liepold.

Sure, his trades didn't work out altogether, but the Donato one is way too early to tell and Iowa is heading in the right direction too. But one year is a very short leash.
Tenna B just read a portion of the article from Russo on The Athletic that make it sound like he was pretty much a jackass to be around for players and other Wild employees. Obviously no idea if that is true. But it seemed clear that he was trying to force Boudreau to change the lineup at times so maybe that was part of it.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Tue Jul 30 12:31 pm

Brian Burke?

Doubtful Leipold hires another GM with zero experience.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 30 12:33 pm

Garth Snow was listed as potential candidate in Russo's story. :shock: :mrgreen:

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jul 30 12:33 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tue Jul 30 12:24 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Beauner wrote:
Wow.
Whoa.

Tenna B just read a portion of the article from Russo on The Athletic that make it sound like he was pretty much a jackass to be around for players and other Wild employees. Obviously no idea if that is true. But it seemed clear that he was trying to force Boudreau to change the lineup at times so maybe that was part of it.
Fenton was the Beane to Boudreau's Howe?

Obvious difference is that Beane's idea worked, I guess. :lol:

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by george » Tue Jul 30 12:36 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Something about a blind squirrel or a stopped clock comes to mind. :wink:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jul 30 12:38 pm

Tenna listed his trades to date and after a year the Coyle trade is likely the best and the jury is still out.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 1:06 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
That would assume Leo and "Matt" have it all figured out.

"Sources said for weeks that it was becoming abundantly clear to Leipold that Fenton was not fitting into the culture that he and CEO Matt Majka had worked to create since Leipold purchased the team in 2008."

I am begining to think Leopold wants all the Winning to come with no change or patience at all.

Yes you were right all along if you are referring to Fenton being prickly. But I dont know if there was ever a debate there.

In regards to the hockey moves, this doesn't really change anything in regards to evaluation. Time is needed. A year minimum to see how Donato and Fiala do as well as Zucc.

And for the draft picks still a few years away.

I hope whoever the new GM is he keeps all of our draft picks for years to come.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 1:09 pm

Prickly? The man was a complete arrogant dick in every interview he ever gave.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Tue Jul 30 1:13 pm

Well this will be fun. The NMC guys in Suter and Parise are unhappy. A core guy like Zucker can't be traded for value and is unhappy. Spurgeon is confused, due a big payday and they missed the best chance to trade him if that was their plan if he was going to break the budget.

Zuccarello was probably the best they could do in FA... term maybe was a bit long.

Ron Hextall?
Peter Chiarelli?
Dean Lombardi?
Garth Snow?
Tom Fitzgerald?
Bill Guerin?
Bill Zito?
John Ferguson Jr.?
Julien BriseBois?
Dave Nonis?

Feels like a job where they're pretty handcuffed.
Last edited by Vegoe on Tue Jul 30 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 1:15 pm

For the team nothing has really changed ultimately.

This year could be great or it could royally suck.

Depends on Dubnyk, who if anyone breaks out, whether you get average or better years from the vets, and whether or not the team stays healthy. If the team stays healthy for the most part and Spurgeon gets signed and Parise is not clinically depressed anymore it could be a playoff run season. Otherwise, forget it.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 1:39 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jul 30 1:15 pm
For the team nothing has really changed ultimately.

This year could be great or it could royally suck.

Depends on Dubnyk, who if anyone breaks out, whether you get average or better years from the vets, and whether or not the team stays healthy. If the team stays healthy for the most part and Spurgeon gets signed and Parise is not clinically depressed anymore it could be a playoff run season. Otherwise, forget it.
I agree with all of this.

- Goaltending has to be solid especially if the team continues to give them the most reasonable workload in the league.
- They need to replace Coyle, Nino, and Granlund's production. Whether it is direct Donato better than Coyle or a team effort of the 5 young forwards it doesn't matter, just needs to be done.
-Zucker needs to be close to a franchise type of player, 60 points +. The rest need to do what they have been doing.
- Parise fortunately has one mode when he hits the ice. And if he wants to win here he needs to produce and if he ever needed to be traded he needs to produce.
-And yes stay relatively healthy.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jul 30 1:40 pm

Perhaps Zuccarello went to HR after Fenton compared him to a lizard.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 1:44 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Tue Jul 30 1:40 pm
Perhaps Zuccarello went to HR after Fenton compared him to a lizard.
Now that is good. :lol:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jul 30 2:06 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Jul 30 1:13 pm
Well this will be fun. The NMC guys in Suter and Parise are unhappy. A core guy like Zucker can't be traded for value and is unhappy. Spurgeon is confused, due a big payday and they missed the best chance to trade him if that was their plan if he was going to break the budget.

Zuccarello was probably the best they could do in FA... term maybe was a bit long.

Ron Hextall?
Peter Chiarelli?
Dean Lombardi?
Garth Snow?
Tom Fitzgerald?
Bill Guerin?
Bill Zito?
John Ferguson Jr.?
Julien BriseBois?
Dave Nonis?

Feels like a job where they're pretty handcuffed.
:censored: Garth Snow

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 70 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Jul 30 2:25 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:39 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:12 am
team22tank wrote:
Sat Jun 22 7:25 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 21 10:16 pm
J22 wrote:
Fri Jun 21 9:06 pm
Boldy was the best player still available
Of course he was.
Keiffer Bellows
The more I read the more I like the pick. Wasn't the sexy pick but it was a good one.
I’m hoping the kid will be a hell of a player for the Wild. When Fenton noted in Russo article “Being a Massachusetts kid like me played into it,” Fenton, who went to Boston University, said.” It made me chuckle. Fenton either will prove (to be) an astute judge of hockey talent (that’s all that really matters) ...he will be retorting “welcome to Arby’s, do you have any coupons” in roughly 12 months, at this point I’m hoping its the former, but the jury is out on this. :confused2:
It’s been nearly 40 years since the Miracle on Ice...but saying regarding drafting Boldy...”being a Massachusetts kid like me played into it” didn’t help his popularity in the State of Hockey 😉 Bottom Line...when you come off as prickly Pete with fans (and evidently his co-workers)...ya better be exceptional at your job & he clearly wasn’t ☝️

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 2:33 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Jul 30 2:25 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:39 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:12 am
team22tank wrote:
Sat Jun 22 7:25 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 21 10:16 pm
J22 wrote:
Fri Jun 21 9:06 pm
Boldy was the best player still available
Of course he was.
Keiffer Bellows
The more I read the more I like the pick. Wasn't the sexy pick but it was a good one.
I’m hoping the kid will be a hell of a player for the Wild. When Fenton noted in Russo article “Being a Massachusetts kid like me played into it,” Fenton, who went to Boston University, said.” It made me chuckle. Fenton either will prove (to be) an astute judge of hockey talent (that’s all that really matters) ...he will be retorting “welcome to Arby’s, do you have any coupons” in roughly 12 months, at this point I’m hoping its the former, but the jury is out on this. :confused2:
It’s been nearly 40 years since the Miracle on Ice...but saying regarding drafting Boldy...”being a Massachusetts kid like me played into it” didn’t help his popularity in the State of Hockey 😉 Bottom Line...when you come off as prickly Pete with fans (and evidently his co-workers)...ya better be exceptional at your job & he clearly wasn’t ☝️
Your last comment doesn't add up, if it is referring to assessing hockey talent. Firing Fenton doesn't all of the sudden mean his draft picks can't work out or were bad picks. They still need as much time as they if he were the GM. Same goes for the trades, they won't need as much time but still at least a season to get started and see how they do.

Something must have been very toxic behind the scenes for this to happen. Because I think we can all agree he didn't get fired for the draft picks. And even the trades, if Leo was so upset about the trades why wouldn't he can him after the season?

Part of this to me still feels like Leo wants nothing to change and to stay the same, except he wants to win a lot he wants that part to change.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Jul 30 2:40 pm

My last comment simply refers to anybody in ANY job. Fenton came off as insecure & prickly from day 1 ☝️

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 3:19 pm

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Tue Jul 30 3:25 pm

I see/hear loads of references to Suter basically running the team, but I'm unable to find anything actually in print about it.

Is that because the media is afraid of writing the story lest they lose access?

Can someone fill me in as to what the deal is?

For reference:

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 3:47 pm

It will be pretty telling as to what is going on, if next Spring we are back to selling draft picks for rentals.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 3:55 pm

JC65 wrote:
Tue Jul 30 3:25 pm
I see/hear loads of references to Suter basically running the team, but I'm unable to find anything actually in print about it.

Is that because the media is afraid of writing the story lest they lose access?

Can someone fill me in as to what the deal is?

For reference:
That rumor has existed for years. No one has any evidence OR has reported it to be true.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 4:05 pm

Yep. The guy is a complete dick. That's why he was fired.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Tue Jul 30 4:53 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jul 30 4:05 pm

who would you like to see as the next gm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 30 5:00 pm

Russo on KFAN seems to think Hextall is the leading candidate.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jul 30 6:18 pm

Leo seems decisive, he’ll move quickly.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 6:46 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:
Tue Jul 30 4:53 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
who would you like to see as the next gm
Hextall works. I think Nanne said Lombardi? Liked what I heard there. Russo said Fitzgerald? Don't mind that either. Just hire a guy who can manage people and hire good people this time.

We still have no analytics department. Spurgeon's contract got more expensive instead of less the longer they wait. Etc, etc, etc.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by sunbone » Tue Jul 30 7:45 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:

What a complete failure by Leipold. He worked with the guy and didn’t sense that he wasn’t capable of being a leader? Wow.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jul 30 9:07 pm

Yep. The owner screwed up big time. No question.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 9:32 pm

https://theathletic.com/1107032/2019/07 ... the-blame/

"He must hire the right person and then take not just one, but several steps back into the shadows where almost all good owners reside."

Bingo. He can do whatever he wants but no good owner is all buddy, buddy with players. No good owner comes out and tells GM candidates what he wants to hear in the interviews.

I hope he hires a hockey guy that knows talent and can build a feeder system. No operation guys like Fletcher.

Hopefully he has a bigger soundboard than CEO Matt who he has been building a culture with since 2008.

Leipold worries me. I like his willingingness to want to win but how he thinks he is going to get there is concerning.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Jul 30 9:52 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jul 30 9:32 pm

"He must hire the right person and then take not just one, but several steps back into the shadows where almost all good owners reside."

Bingo. He can do whatever he wants but no good owner is all buddy, buddy with players. No good owner comes out and tells GM candidates what he wants to hear in the interviews.

I hope he hires a hockey guy that knows talent and can build a feeder system. No operation guys like Fletcher.

Hopefully he has a bigger soundboard than CEO Matt who he has been building a culture with since 2008.

Leipold worries me. I like his willingingness to want to win but how he thinks he is going to get there is concerning.
At least the guy is 100% committed to winning a Stanley Cup (some day). In contrast to Jim Pohlad and his Pohlad Pocket Protectorate minions 😉

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 30 10:02 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Jul 30 9:52 pm
team22tank wrote:
Tue Jul 30 9:32 pm

At least the guy is 100% committed to winning a Stanley Cup (some day). In contrast to Jim Pohlad and his Pohlad Pocket Protectorate minions 😉
Don't get me wrong, like I said I like his desire to win and pour resources into the team. But that is where it should end.

I thought he did a good job of staying out of Fletcher's way.

This last time around he wanted the team to make one move and get over the hump and that's what he wanted to hear. A lot of this is on him.

Hire someone and then empower them to do the job you put them in and back away. I dont trust Leipold or Matt to be making any hockey decisions.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jul 31 11:07 am

Just curious... what do people think would come in a return for Parise or Suter? And how would fans react?

Dumping David Clarkson who could be put on LTI cost a 1st and 2nd.
Dumping Bryan Bickell cost a prospect (Teravainen), 2nd & 3rd.
Dumping Dave Bolland cost a 2nd and 3rd.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Jul 31 11:14 am

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:07 am
Just curious... what do people think would come in a return for Parise or Suter? And how would fans react?

I am not familiar with how those went down for example what was their cap hit, how many years left, ect.

The higher the Cap and the number of years is going to diminish the return.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 31 1:08 pm

Vegoe wrote:

Isn't there like a penalty attached to both of them because of their contracts that would cost the Wild? I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Jul 31 1:25 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 31 1:08 pm
Vegoe wrote:

Isn't there like a penalty attached to both of them because of their contracts that would cost the Wild? I don't think it's worth it to be honest.
No. Not for simply being traded.

The problems arise if they retire. Whether they are in MN or retire on another team after being traded.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 31 2:09 pm

team22tank wrote:
Wed Jul 31 1:25 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

The problems arise if they retire. Whether they are in MN or retire on another team after being traded.
Aaah, thanks. So, if they retire even if they aren't here anymore the Wild are screwed. Awesome system.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Jul 31 2:40 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 31 2:09 pm
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

Aaah, thanks. So, if they retire even if they aren't here anymore the Wild are screwed. Awesome system.
That is the least of their worries. Neither are "retiring." Long Term Injury Reserve is what will happen if they don't play the next 6 years. Both have injuries more significant and more documented than any of the 5 or so players that have gone on it the last few years.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 31 2:41 pm

team22tank wrote:
Wed Jul 31 2:40 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 31 2:09 pm
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

That is the least of their worries. Neither are "retiring." Long Term Injury Reserve is what will happen if they don't play the next 6 years. Both have injuries more significant and more documented than any of the 5 or so players that have gone on it the last few years.
Isn't there another CBA coming up? I bet LTIR goes bye bye just in time for the Wild to get screwed.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jul 31 2:45 pm

team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

Basically what I gather is if they don't play through age 40, 2024-25 and retire early, the Wild get hit with a cap recapture penalty of $6.5M per year, per player for the last two years of their 'deal.' This is because they are due to have a base salary of $1M and a cap hit of $7.5M those two years. If they retired with three years left on their deals they would have a base salary of $2M and a cap hit of $7.5, so that year the recapture is only $5.5M for that third to last season.

I think it's even worse with a buyout:https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calc ... se#results