Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 06 9:35 pm

Honest: what the f is the difference? WARP is not analytics? Launch angle? OPS is stats, I agree.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Viking » Sat Jul 06 9:36 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:06 pm
Viking wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:02 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 06 7:01 pm
HRs are up due to teams using analytics. That whole "HR, K, BB" as an acceptable result. Small ball was dying, and it's dying faster in this day and age. You will see more of this unless the pitching strategy/mound height is changed.IMO, more people prefer a 7-6 game than a 1-0 pitcher's duel. Frankly, if that's the way it goes....I don't need to see "arena" baseball.
I miss small ball.
I do, too. It's strategy, it's chess.
Exactly... and why I prefer National League ball.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 06 9:37 pm

Except DH. That's my only beef with NL. If it means getting back to small ball, though, I'll go for it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by J22 » Sat Jul 06 9:40 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:35 pm
Honest: what the f is the difference? WARP is not analytics? Launch angle? OPS is stats, I agree.
Warp is a formula using diferent stats to create another stat. Launch angle is just how you swing the bat. OPS is a stat. Analytics that MLB teams use for a pitcher would be something like knowing how well a hitter does against 95 MPH fastballs that are down in the zone.

The only real affect that analytics has on homeruns is that the stat nerds have made it more apparent that the trade off of striking out more often is worth the payoff of hitting more homeruns.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 06 9:44 pm

No matter, it's ruining baseball IMO

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Jul 06 9:53 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:27 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:23 pm
Don't the pitchers use analytics?
They do, but analytics is mostly offensive based. Pitchers use WHIP and such...that's about it. Hitters have WARP, launch angle, exit velocity, GRIT, OPS+ whatever. MLB is trying to turn it into an offensive game, much like the NFL.
Analytics in the way tRube is discussing them are all stat-based.

Truth be told, there's a lot more data-driven information being used on the pitching side than the hitting side.

Spin rate, tunneling, kinesiology/body movement technology, etc. have all taken huge strides forward in the pitching department, as have philosophies and training programs for developing velocity.
Hitting approaches have had to adapt to the fact that pitchers are missing bats far more often because of these advancements.

That's why "small ball" is seeing a significant drop in use. Sac bunts were always terrible math (except bunting guys from 1st and 2nd to 2nd and 3rd), but now with the advancement in pitching leading to an increase in strikeout rates and weak contact, I'd bet the numbers are even worse. It's a lot more difficult to string together 3-4 hits in a row when pitchers are throwing 95mph fastballs and 88mph sliders that look the same for the first 40 feet. Is it impossible? Of course not. But with lineups like Minnesota, Houston, NY, Boston, etc. it is a lot more likely to get a guy on base and lose one into the seats than to see 4 straight singles.

"Analytics" seems to be kind of a catch-all for the use of data these days but when I hear analytics I think more about the tradition BABIP, WHIP, OPS, the WARP/VORPs, FIP, etc., things that are more typically used for lineup construction, roster building, and defensive positioning (shifts, etc.) than for coaching philosophies and training techniques.

Hitting coaches have finally realized that when they were growing up and hearing their coaches say "Hit it on the ground" that the opposing pitcher was also saying "Hit a ground ball for me". So coaches have started working with hitters on changing their focus to the middle of the ball instead of the top, and keeping the bat on plane with the pitch for longer to increase the odds of line drives and fly balls rather than the old "chop swing" that produced a lot of hard hit ground balls--balls that frequently go right into a fielder's glove these days thanks to the information available leading to shifts.

Is the ball juiced? I dunno. I doubt it's as juiced as people think. It may be wound a little tighter than it was 7-8 years ago. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that increased velocity combined with hitting philosophies changing to "elevate, celebrate" is going to lead to a big jump in HRs. This goes for all minor league levels as well as the big leagues.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Handyman » Sat Jul 06 10:04 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:19 pm
The Rube wrote:
HRs are up due to teams using analytics. That whole "HR, K, BB" as an acceptable result. Small ball was dying, and it's dying faster in this day and age. You will see more of this unless the pitching strategy/mound height is changed.IMO, more people prefer a 7-6 game than a 1-0 pitcher's duel. Frankly, if that's the way it goes....I don't need to see "arena" baseball.
I heard they added the new balls to AAA and HRs are now way up at that level as well.

I don’t buy the analytics theory if that’s true.
It isnt the first time they have "tightened" the balls (which is what is supposedly juicing them) and they didnt see an explosion like this. As Beauner said pitchers are throwing harder and when you make contact it is going to go farther. There was this Newton guy who mentioned something about it ;)

Now, some of the "data" stuff is overdone though and pure laziness is why it still works. The overuse of the shift is a great example of it. If they give you half the infield to hit to learn to friggin hit that way. I know Beauner and the nerds hate bunts but if they have 3 guys to the right of second base drop a bunt where there is no one. Even a terrible bunt will give you a chance and placed right you might get an extra base. (happened a couple weeks back) Learn to burn them for playing that way and they will stop playing that way.

Look small ball is out for now but it will come back in a new form that is in line with the new data infused stylings. Adjustments are made.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jul 06 10:13 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Jul 06 10:04 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
The Rube wrote:
I heard they added the new balls to AAA and HRs are now way up at that level as well.

It isnt the first time they have "tightened" the balls (which is what is supposedly juicing them) and they didnt see an explosion like this. As Beauner said pitchers are throwing harder and when you make contact it is going to go farther. There was this Newton guy who mentioned something about it ;)

Now, some of the "data" stuff is overdone though and pure laziness is why it still works. The overuse of the shift is a great example of it. If they give you half the infield to hit to learn to friggin hit that way. I know Beauner and the nerds hate bunts but if they have 3 guys to the right of second base drop a bunt where there is no one. Even a terrible bunt will give you a chance and placed right you might get an extra base. (happened a couple weeks back) Learn to burn them for playing that way and they will stop playing that way.

Look small ball is out for now but it will come back in a new form that is in line with the new data infused stylings. Adjustments are made.
For the record, I don't hate bunting for hits to beat the shift.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 07 2:50 pm

Twins hand Texas two outs in the 4th inning after having runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.
Contact play (have I mentioned how much I hate the contact play?) where Sano gets thrown out at the plate -Buxton was the batter.
Buxton reaches first and then steals 2B so we get back to runners on 2 and 3 with one out. Kepler hits a fly ball to CF. Buxton tries to tag and go to third while Schoop tags from 3rd. Not really sure why.
Gallo hoses Buxton at 3B before Schoop scores. Inning over.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Sun Jul 07 5:02 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jul 07 2:50 pm
Twins hand Texas two outs in the 4th inning after having runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.
Contact play (have I mentioned how much I hate the contact play?) where Sano gets thrown out at the plate -Buxton was the batter.
Buxton reaches first and then steals 2B so we get back to runners on 2 and 3 with one out. Kepler hits a fly ball to CF. Buxton tries to tag and go to third while Schoop tags from 3rd. Not really sure why.
And now we're in the 11th in a 1-1 game. Would've been a pretty big run.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 07 5:21 pm

Mejia gives up a 3-run bomb in top 11. Yuck.

mnpuckguy
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mnpuckguy » Sun Jul 07 6:09 pm

Mejia should have been pulled after the two walks!! Actually he shouldn’t have been in the game after coming off the IL & this being his first appearance.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 07 6:35 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jul 07 2:50 pm
That was the ballgame right there. That was a dumb move.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Sun Jul 07 11:18 pm

I am hoping the way that game ended is a clear indication to mgmt that they need to add arms if a serious run is going to happen.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 07 11:22 pm

I wouldn't touch Bumgartner. Not doing well, and now on the IL.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 08 12:02 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jul 06 10:13 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sat Jul 06 10:04 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
The Rube wrote:

For the record, I don't hate bunting for hits to beat the shift.
I know I was just giving ya crap :)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 12 8:58 pm

Darn good example tonight of why replay challenges are necessary in baseball 😊 1-3 deficit becomes a 2-3 deficit, then a 4-3 lead because replay got the call at 1B CORRECT.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 12 9:18 pm

Garvsauce dong!

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 12 9:49 pm

Get outta the way, ump! Buck should be at third!

What a terrible throw.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 12 9:57 pm

Holy crap Rogers is DEALING.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 12 10:00 pm

Really nice W out of the break. Great job by the bullpen picking up the slack from Gibson after he struggled in the 4th inning.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by streakygopher » Fri Jul 12 11:40 pm

Rogers has been money. I really like that he doesn't seem to get rattled...stays calm and hits his spots. Nice thing about his appearance tonight is he didn't throw many pitches.

Gibson is a starter and needs to get out of the 4th inning. He seems to be in a flat spin.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jul 13 6:42 pm

At this point, it is in Trevor Bauer’s best interest to walk Kepler. He is now 5-5 with 5 HR and a BB in his last 6 plate appearances vs him.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jul 13 8:58 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Jul 13 6:42 pm
At this point, it is in Trevor Bauer’s best interest to walk Kepler. He is now 5-5 with 5 HR and a BB in his last 6 plate appearances vs him.
On the radio broadcast after his first HR they provided the list of the career HR leaders against Bauer.
Three players had been tied at 4.

Kepler, Manny Machado, and....

Oswaldo Arcia. 😂😂

Greyeagle
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jul 13 9:20 pm

Nothing falls but rain!!!

I just love watching him play.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jul 13 9:21 pm

How he didn't end up with a mouthful of turf is more impressive than the catch.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 13 9:26 pm

That one hurt. You could tell. Jesus.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jul 13 9:26 pm

It's pretty amazing how many options Rocco has with this team. I could not begin to count how many different lineups he's used and regardless of where someone gets plugged in they seem to produce. Really cool to watch.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 13 9:27 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Jul 13 9:26 pm
It's pretty amazing how many options Rocco has with this team. I could not begin to count how many different lineups he's used and regardless of where someone gets plugged in they seem to produce. Really cool to watch.
Rocco Bal-Dalai Lama. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jul 13 9:31 pm

The Rube wrote:
Bux not in the game for the 9th. Hopefully it's "precautionary".

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jul 13 9:32 pm

The Rube wrote:
And he is pulled out of the 9th inning. Hope it's nothing serious....

Edit-- Greyeagle beat me to it..

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Jul 13 9:35 pm

Rogers is on a different plane right now

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jul 13 9:37 pm

Gotta love the backwards K endings to the games!

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 13 9:39 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Jul 13 9:37 pm
Gotta love the backwards K endings to the games!

Now let’s really make a statement and sweep the series
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jul 14 3:12 am

Meh...pretenders! How will we ever beat Cleveland with our awful pitching??? We need 4 starts/3 relievers and a new bullpen coach or we go nowhere :censored: :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Jul 14 5:34 am

It's not about Cleveland. The path to a title will go through the Bronx and Houston as the 1 and 2 seeds.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 14 8:59 am

Dont remember seeing this posted but the Twins DFAd/released Adalberto Mejia yesterday.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sun Jul 14 9:38 am

Bullpen still needs help, especially if they hit a stretch where they start to get overused. Houston and New York would eat up Duffy, Morin, Magill. And May and Parker are still borderline.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jul 14 12:02 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Jul 14 5:34 am
It's not about Cleveland. The path to a title will go through the Bronx and Houston as the 1 and 2 seeds.
I am just wondering, do we get to enjoy the run up to and (hopefully) making the playoffs for a few days? I want to make sure I have everything planned out accordingly. I mean the odds of winning the World Series are so little, and I mean Houston and NY are unstoppable (Twins certainly cant beat them) so I know enjoyment is a limited resource.

If you guys could maybe tell us the procedure so we can make sure not to enjoy the season (despite you know, actually having a good team) no matter the outcome that would be aces!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 14 12:31 pm

Not a great first inning from Berrios. Having a hard time getting the breaking stuff to cross the plate.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 14 12:45 pm

Every time I watch him he's getting tagged by hitters.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 14 1:21 pm

Yeah, looks like another Berrios start where he doesn't get a win.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 14 2:33 pm

Would have been nice to do more than tie it there. Don't get be wrong, I'm glad they got on the board. Just hate leaving them full when they were full with no outs after they already tied it.

Edit: Schoop struck out when it was 3-2. Nevermind.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Jul 14 2:55 pm

Not the best pitch location by May on that 0-2 pitch.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 14 3:12 pm

Nice homer May.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Sun Jul 14 3:14 pm

I get being aggressive, but 3 guys striking out with maybe 1 pitch actually in the zone is a little ugly. Oh well. Won the series and increased the lead to 6.5

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 14 3:31 pm

Rats. Oh well. May made a mistake and paid for it. That's baseball. Cleveland is good.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jul 14 8:33 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Jul 14 12:02 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
I am just wondering, do we get to enjoy the run up to and (hopefully) making the playoffs for a few days? I want to make sure I have everything planned out accordingly. I mean the odds of winning the World Series are so little, and I mean Houston and NY are unstoppable (Twins certainly cant beat them) so I know enjoyment is a limited resource.

If you guys could maybe tell us the procedure so we can make sure not to enjoy the season (despite you know, actually having a good team) no matter the outcome that would be aces!
Some of us can enjoy the season and still acknowledge the Twins have room to improve for when they face the best playoff teams.

Sitting back and laughing was a great strategy when the Twins were 20 games up after May. But lately they’re very good but not world beaters. These opportunities don’t come often for Twins fans and some of us would hate to see them piss away their 1st real chance in 20+ years.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 14 8:34 pm

Neat little write-up by Parker Hageman (again, as usual) in this Twitter thread.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Laxref » Sun Jul 14 10:50 pm

Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

You can enjoy whatever you want Handy, when it comes to gopher sports I’m able to “enjoy the season”, but when it comes to the pro teams in this town, with a championship drought sitting at 28 years it’s title or bust for me.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 15 12:09 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jul 14 8:33 pm
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

Some of us can enjoy the season and still acknowledge the Twins have room to improve for when they face the best playoff teams.

Sitting back and laughing was a great strategy when the Twins were 20 games up after May. But lately they’re very good but not world beaters. These opportunities don’t come often for Twins fans and some of us would hate to see them piss away their 1st real chance in 20+ years.
Some of us can sure. Lets not pretend that is what they are doing though. (especially Eeyore)

20 years? I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. The team hasnt even been in TF that long and they have had good teams there. (won 94 games in 2010)

Again it is BS to pretend I dont think the team is flawed. They probably wont go anywhere if they make the playoffs. So friggin what? Last year they won 78 games I am going to enjoy it until they crap out. And yeah, I am going to poke fun at the ones who are already hedging their bets sandbagging for various reasons. Jesus Cleveland had to go on a blistering pace against the dregs of the AL and they still trail the Twins by like 6 games. And while they have some more cupcakes coming up I believe their August (or September I forget) is going to be rough while the Twins get the AL Central to feast on. Maybe nothing comes of it, but I wont throw in the towel until the last out of the last game unless they go on a massive losing streak. I mean hell we are halfway through July have we lost 3 straight yet?

lax,

Unless my team goes on a Patriots like run I will NEVER be "title or bust" because that just makes everything worthless. If the only way you can really enjoy a season is if the team wins a title then what is the point? Might as well just pick a winner to support and forget the local squads. JMHO though obviously your mileage may vary.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 15 12:17 am

If I went title or bust with my teams, I'd be so screwed.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Mon Jul 15 1:44 am

I agree “title or bust” is probably not a good way to go about being a fan. And I’m not that way when it comes to gopher sports, but I guess the 28 years of no pro titles amongst the big four has beaten me into “title or bust” mode.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 15 7:11 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 15 12:09 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

Some of us can sure. Lets not pretend that is what they are doing though. (especially Eeyore)

20 years? I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. The team hasnt even been in TF that long and they have had good teams there. (won 94 games in 2010)

Again it is BS to pretend I dont think the team is flawed. They probably wont go anywhere if they make the playoffs. So friggin what? Last year they won 78 games I am going to enjoy it until they crap out. And yeah, I am going to poke fun at the ones who are already hedging their bets sandbagging for various reasons. Jesus Cleveland had to go on a blistering pace against the dregs of the AL and they still trail the Twins by like 6 games. And while they have some more cupcakes coming up I believe their August (or September I forget) is going to be rough while the Twins get the AL Central to feast on. Maybe nothing comes of it, but I wont throw in the towel until the last out of the last game unless they go on a massive losing streak. I mean hell we are halfway through July have we lost 3 straight yet?

lax,

Unless my team goes on a Patriots like run I will NEVER be "title or bust" because that just makes everything worthless. If the only way you can really enjoy a season is if the team wins a title then what is the point? Might as well just pick a winner to support and forget the local squads. JMHO though obviously your mileage may vary.
The Twins had had some good teams over the last 20 year, but they've always been the small ball, singles, steals, and bunts to get guys around the bases. Those teams made the playoffs but never really had a chance. These Twins can hit the damn ball with power and to me seem to be the first real chance to win a WS since Kirby went down with vision problems.

I would have loved to have watched Kirby and Molitor play that season together.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jul 15 2:26 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jul 15 7:11 am
Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 15 12:09 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

lax,

The Twins had had some good teams over the last 20 year, but they've always been the small ball, singles, steals, and bunts to get guys around the bases. Those teams made the playoffs but never really had a chance. These Twins can hit the damn ball with power and to me seem to be the first real chance to win a WS since Kirby went down with vision problems.

I would have loved to have watched Kirby and Molitor play that season together.
I would add in those years they didn't have a solid 1-2-3 in the rotation that could raise their game in the playoffs. Radke was their ace in those days, and he was a dinking, doinking control pitcher who could give you a lot of innings, but he was rarely a shutdown pitcher. Using both the '87 and '91 teams as examples, they had a strong 1-2 in the rotation, and they had some pretty solid relief and closing pitching.

If you look around the league, it seems that pitching philosophy has changed quite a bit. Many teams go to their bullpen early now, barely into the 5th inning, unless their starter is in full control and the pitch count is reasonable (the Indians' pitcher yesterday, for example).

Twins might have their guy in Rogers, but they definitely could use another arm in relief and even a reliable starter. Gibson rarely makes it past 5 and Berrios, while possessing gifted talent, hasn't yet risen to the level of a gifted pitcher.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Mon Jul 15 8:06 pm

Saying this team needs to add a few arms does not mean we aren't appreciating and enjoying the season. It doesn't mean the current team isn't fun to watch or well put together either. At this time of year, good teams bolster their staffs and/or lineups for a run. The Yankees will add, the Astros will, the Dodgers will and the Twins should too.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 16 4:38 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 16 7:40 pm

These next 2 weeks will be crucial for the Twins. They play Mets, A's , Yankees and White Sox while Cleveland plays Detroit , KC , Toronto and KC again.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 16 7:45 pm

Too early to call it crucial. If they bury CLE perhaps we can get excited, but if somehow CLE draws close to level there's a LOT of baseball left to determine what happens.
Currently under construction.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jul 16 9:42 pm

Just your standard, run of the mill, 1-5-2-5 double play keeps the Twins in the game in the 8th.

EDIT

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Jul 16 10:16 pm

Luis Arraez :dup: :dup:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jul 16 10:31 pm

Lost to the effing Mets. Right back to 5.5 up. Disappointing loss.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jul 16 10:36 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Jul 16 10:16 pm
Luis Arraez :dup: :dup:
Comes into a 2-3 game in the 9th inning- cold- to pinch hit for an injured Schoop inheriting an 0-2 count facing 98-100 mph pitches and works his way to a walk.

Yeah boy! Almost paid off too. :anger:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jul 17 10:31 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jul 16 7:45 pm
Too early to call it crucial. If they bury CLE perhaps we can get excited, but if somehow CLE draws close to level there's a LOT of baseball left to determine what happens.
Especially when you look at Cleveland's schedule in August compared to Minnesota's. They basically reverse schedules.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jul 17 12:06 pm

It would be nice if Detroit won one game vs Cleveland. They’re getting steam rolled every time they play.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Maize » Wed Jul 17 12:33 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Jul 17 12:06 pm
It would be nice if Detroit won one game vs Cleveland. They’re getting steam rolled every time they play.
I wouldn't get your hopes up.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jul 17 2:55 pm

May is blowing his fastball past guys and then keeps throwing the breaking ball that ends up in the seats. Turning into the modern day Ron Davis.

Last edited by frozen4champs on Wed Jul 17 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Wed Jul 17 2:55 pm

Bullpen

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed Jul 17 3:39 pm

Pretenders

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jul 17 4:15 pm

Well, they've finally lost three in a row.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jul 17 6:24 pm

All it took was for FSN to let Roy douche Smalley call a series.

The team hit a "slump" as soon as they started using Bert, Jack, and now Roy in the booth on a regular basis.

Just sayin'.

#bringbackMorneau

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by sunbone » Wed Jul 17 6:37 pm

Really disappointing game to be at today. A lot of bad at bats. Trevor May was a disaster. After that still only down by two with a chance to end the inning and Rosario drops an easy fly ball, and then the wheels come completely off. Hoping the team makes a move or two here soon, feels like the squad needs a wake up call.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Wed Jul 17 8:20 pm

So, my family is back in town on vacay and we decided to catch a Twins game this afternoon. Sorry - our bad. Won't come back again until after we win the World Series :)

PS - Mays suuuuuuucks.
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jul 17 8:38 pm

One of my good friends who lives in Sacramento now went to the last two games at Target field. I told him it was his fault.

I’m currently in Michigan; it feels so dirty to root for the local team.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 18 10:56 am

Too many injuries. They're piling up.