2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Jun 22 6:54 pm

GoldenRube wrote:
Sat Jun 22 5:17 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Jun 22 4:06 pm
Another goalie in the 7th. Left shot D in the 6th. Not a single right shot in the bunch.
I'm almost afraid to ask but why is having all left handed shots a big deal? Do you expect all of them to make it to the Wild at the same time? Should the Wild have thought "well we took a lot of lefties maybe we should draft a right handed shot even though we ranked him lower"?
Or, did you like the draft but had to find something to complain about?
You clearly don’t read Russo on the Athletic 😉 They’ve been short on right handed shooting D & F for several years. So when they’ve been dangling LW Zucker for several months in trade talks, already have Parise, Fiala, Donato, Greenway, Then everyone they drafted today was a left handed shot player, mostly left wings. It’s a little bit humerous...

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sat Jun 22 9:12 pm

It's like Matt Millen drafting wide receivers in the first round, then you fire Matt Millen and the next guy also drafts a wide receiver in the first round in his first draft.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 9:28 am

It looks like the Wild will resign Brad Hunt for 2 years with a Cap hit around $700k.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 10:30 am

GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Another goalie in the 7th. Left shot D in the 6th. Not a single right shot in the bunch.
I'm almost afraid to ask but why is having all left handed shots a big deal? Do you expect all of them to make it to the Wild at the same time? Should the Wild have thought "well we took a lot of lefties maybe we should draft a right handed shot even though we ranked him lower"?
Look up Kyle Quincey, Olofsson, and Mike Reilly. Then get back to me.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 10:44 am

Fenton made a big deal of size in the draft. Probably why Caulfield was passed on. DeBrincat is the same size. Kane isn't very big either.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by J22 » Sun Jun 23 10:47 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 10:30 am
GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Look up forwards and defensemen. Then get back to me

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 10:57 am

J22 wrote:
Sun Jun 23 10:47 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Reilly and Olfsson are the exact same age as Brodin and Dumba. Pretty sure the Wild moved them because they were never going to crack the Wild top 4. And that aside neither is that good. Reilly is an "offensive d man" and isnt even a 20 pt guy when he gets PP time.

Quincey? Oopsie poopsie on not figuring out those things before you sign him.

Like I said when people couldnt figure out why Aberg, Bittetto and Hunt were picked up last year. It had nothing to do with helping the Wild last season it was all about getting a tryout with the team and vetting them out a little more and seeing if there was a fit.

Hunt won his tryout and because of it the Wild get a very cheap player that they can feel a little more comfortable because of what they saw last year versus just signing a similar type player in the off season and it turns into disaster.

Nice to see 16 players added to the pipeline over the last two seasons and having all the rounds, except R2 last year.

The last 3 years with Fletcher, 17 picks and were missing a good chunk of the top 4 rounds during that period.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Jun 23 11:05 am

I feel a lot better about this years draft than last years. As always, time will tell.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:09 am

J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
They have the same issue with forwards. Right now there's no right shots and a glut of left shots. How many times have we had to have discussions around here about how players cannot break into the top 6 or the top 9 because of the glut? How many times did Coyle not have a home?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:11 am

team22tank wrote:
Sun Jun 23 10:57 am
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Reilly and Olfsson are the exact same age as Brodin and Dumba. Pretty sure the Wild moved them because they were never going to crack the Wild top 4. And that aside neither is that good. Reilly is an "offensive d man" and isnt even a 20 pt guy when he gets PP time.

Quincey? Oopsie poopsie on not figuring out those things before you sign him.

Like I said when people couldnt figure out why Aberg, Bittetto and Hunt were picked up last year. It had nothing to do with helping the Wild last season it was all about getting a tryout with the team and vetting them out a little more and seeing if there was a fit.

Hunt won his tryout and because of it the Wild get a very cheap player that they can feel a little more comfortable because of what they saw last year versus just signing a similar type player in the off season and it turns into disaster.

Nice to see 16 players added to the pipeline over the last two seasons and having all the rounds, except R2 last year.

The last 3 years with Fletcher, 17 picks and were missing a good chunk of the top 4 rounds during that period.
Yes, I'm so glad the lie about tweaking has been exposed. I hope Suter, Dubnyk, and Parise enjoy the fact that there going to spend the rest of their careers waiting for prospect development.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 11:11 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:05 am
I feel a lot better about this years draft than last years. As always, time will tell.
Well having a 12 pick versus a 24 will do that alone and this years draft had a lot of talent, good year to pick 12 and hopefully get a very good player. 12 picks are usually going to make it in the NHL and then once they get here it's a matter of how good they can be.

When you get into 20-30 range, it really becomes a crap shoot. If it was a college player you are talking 2-3 years and then good chance of another 2-3 years in minors. Not quite as exciting.

Good news about last year is two of the third rounders appear to be coming to Iowa.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 11:16 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:11 am

Yes, I'm so glad the lie about tweaking has been exposed. I hope Suter, Dubnyk, and Parise enjoy the fact that there going to spend the rest of their careers waiting for prospect development.
What would you have done at the 45 game mark last year, 3 way tie for 8th. Continue on as a Cap team with the core forwards going into their 28 year old season? And not much for young talent below them.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Jun 23 11:25 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:09 am
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
GoldenRube wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
They have the same issue with forwards. Right now there's no right shots and a glut of left shots. How many times have we had to have discussions around here about how players cannot break into the top 6 or the top 9 because of the glut? How many times did Coyle not have a home?
The only issue they have at forward is that they need better forwards. Boldy is a step in the right direction. Kaprizov will be as well. Would be great to add another right shot forward or two, but it's a secondary problem and not near as important among forwards as it is among defensemen.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:27 am

So, Boldy is better than what they have up here already?

You don't know that. No one does.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 11:29 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:27 am

He said it's a step in the right direction.

You are the only one that makes matter of fact comments. Like Bellows over Kunin.

Also, I am sorry Leipold lied to you, that isnt nice :lol:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:32 am

team22tank wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:29 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:27 am

He said it's a step in the right direction.

You are the only one that makes matter of fact comments. Like Bellows over Kunin.
Anyone in the top 12 is a step in the right direction. Unless you go off the board like they did with last years number one pick. Or like Detroit did this year. No one was arguing that.

Just once I'd like them to take a swing at a sniper. Yes. As it is no matter what the odds aren't necessarily good on any pick.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:33 am

team22tank wrote:

He lied to his employees, his players, and the people that pay him lots of money. I'd worry more about them then me.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 23 11:41 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 23 11:33 am
team22tank wrote:

He lied to his employees, his players, and the people that pay him lots of money. I'd worry more about them then me.
You seem to be the only one struggling with it. Similar to the Zucker/Agent vs Fenton drama. Which ironically, the people handling it the most professionally and maturely are Zucker/Agent and Fenton.

So on behalf of Wild Land we extend an apology directly to you that Leipold lied. :lol:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 23 11:50 am

Apparently you didn't read Parise's comments after the season ended.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Sun Jun 23 3:14 pm

Now it's time for the Wild to go into full tank mode this upcoming season. The 2020 draft is supposed to be the strongest one in a very long time. Something tells me that the Wild won't have to actually tank. That should take care of its self especially if they strike out in free agency.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 24 12:03 pm

bearpaw28
Veteran
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 24 12:36 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jun 24 12:03 pm
The girl has a great sense of (sarcastic) humor 👍

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Jun 25 1:49 pm

Looks like Matt Hendricks retired from the NHL and joined the Wild Front Office in player development.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jun 25 2:43 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jun 24 12:03 pm
Fenton is doing a passable David Kahn, bravo sir!!

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Jun 26 6:57 pm

Saw an interesting tidbit. The Wild didn't have one single forward age 22-25 last season. Usually 24-25 is when a forward statistically breaks into their prime.

Now the fun part. EVERY SINGLE team in the league had a regular forward, most had multiple in that age range.

Every team in the league except 5 had a player in that age range that out produced Granlund who was the Wild's leader of the 26-27 crew, Nino, Coyle and Zucker.

There is a chance "Kahn" headed East with his side kick. Time will tell.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Vegoe » Sat Jun 29 11:15 am

With the Parise and Suter contracts it’s hard to imagine a traditional rebuild. Maybe an RFA would be the best way to bridge the lack of a prospect pool.

https://theathletic.com/1052246/2019/06 ... t-targets/

I’d part with two 1s, a 2 and a 3 for Point or Meier.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sat Jun 29 12:04 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Sat Jun 29 11:15 am
With the Parise and Suter contracts it’s hard to imagine a traditional rebuild. Maybe an RFA would be the best way to bridge the lack of a prospect pool.

The Wild don't have their 3rd. They're also not in a position yet to be going all in on one player with multiple 1st round picks

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Sat Jun 29 12:19 pm

J22 wrote:
Sat Jun 29 12:04 pm
Vegoe wrote:

The Wild don't have their 3rd. They're also not in a position yet to be going all in on one player with multiple 1st round picks
Oh well... Adam Beckman better turn out then!

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm

I do wonder if there is a player who they could offer sheet at $4M/year for 2nd that might make sense. Someone like Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson-BOS, JT Compher-COL or Joel Armia-MTL. Seems a better use of money and picks than some of the UFAs out there.
Last edited by Vegoe on Sat Jun 29 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sat Jun 29 12:21 pm

J22 wrote:
Sat Jun 29 12:04 pm
Vegoe wrote:

I agree. When these current 5 young forwards are 25 in 3 years and if Fenton keeps drafting with this philosophy, keeping picks through all the rounds they should be able to replenish when and where they have needs.

Instead of having to try to fill entire voids in the organization which he walked into.

I saw that Fletcher only hit on 3 draft picks after round 3 during his tenure here that had a season or more worth of NHL service. Haula, Kemper and I forgot the 3rd.

Nashville during the same period had 10.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Sun Jun 30 10:20 am

$ - https://theathletic.com/1054835/2019/06 ... to-a-head/

You could write the exact same article about Parise and Suter.
“Of course, in a selfish way, I wish we’d sell all of our assets and just go all out next year,” Price said Saturday during a break at a charity softball tournament in what has become his summer hometown in the Okanagan Valley.

Then he laughed.

“But I totally understand you can’t do that,” he continued, more seriously. “This is a real thing and you need to plan for the future. Obviously, I want work to be done to give us the best opportunity to win because ultimately that’s what I’m here to do. I don’t want to wait. I just don’t.”

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 30 11:01 am

The Wild want to sign an old left shot forward really bad. Good plan.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Jun 30 11:12 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 30 11:01 am
That's how free agency works. Zuccarello would be an excellent fit for the Wild.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 30 11:15 am

J22 wrote:
Sun Jun 30 11:12 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
That's how free agency works. Zuccarello would be an excellent fit for the Wild.
LOL.

No.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Jun 30 11:24 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Jun 30 11:15 am
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
LOL.

No.
You would know

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 30 11:55 am

J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Highly skilled guy, playmaker who can skate and put up 60 points.

Yes please.

Keep Granlund and reup this offseason. You get Granlund.

Trade Granlund for young Fiala and free up money. Use money in off season to get Zuccarello.

Zuccarello + Fiala > Granlund.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sun Jun 30 12:05 pm

reports are Zuccarello signed with bluejackets

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Jun 30 12:24 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:
Sun Jun 30 12:05 pm
Players can't sign anything until tomorrow

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Jun 30 4:19 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sun Jun 30 11:55 am
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Highly skilled guy, playmaker who can skate and put up 60 points.

Yes please.

Keep Granlund and reup this offseason. You get Granlund.

Trade Granlund for young Fiala and free up money. Use money in off season to get Zuccarello.

Zuccarello + Fiala > Granlund.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Jun 30 8:23 pm

Wild got him. Unless something drastic changes.

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Sun Jun 30 8:35 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sun Jun 30 8:23 pm
Sounds like around 5 years for $30M

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Jun 30 9:08 pm

Butters Stotch wrote:
Sun Jun 30 8:35 pm
team22tank wrote:
Sounds like around 5 years for $30M
Really? He is going to be 32 and they are giving him 5 years? Huh.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sun Jun 30 9:14 pm

team22tank wrote:
oh boy

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jun 30 9:36 pm

Good plan. Now there's 3.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 01 10:16 am

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 01 10:24 am

That's unfortunate

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 01 11:09 am

I can think of worse things than being stuck with Zucker.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 01 11:15 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:09 am
I can too. 3 guys over thirty making more than 5 million a piece on 5+ year contracts.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 01 11:27 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:15 am
Handyman wrote:
I can too. 3 guys over thirty making more than 5 million a piece on 5+ year contracts.
That's what you are running with when all 3 blow Zucker out if the water with their production?

Zucc had 40 points in 48 games. Zucker need 82 games for the same roduction.

Anyhow I hope Zucker can assert himself and give us the 30 goal, 60 point guy for consecutive years that is what we need.

Maybe he will pull a page out of Dumba's book and play like he wants to prove he is worth double his contract. Instead of flubbing an entire year.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 01 11:32 am

Zucc played in Dallas last year. Your assumptions and cherry picking are noted.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 01 11:34 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:32 am
To be fair Dallas scored a whopping 1 more goal overall than the Wild did. They gave up 30 less which is why they finished higher than us in the standings.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 01 11:37 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:34 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
To be fair Dallas scored a whopping 1 more goal overall than the Wild did. They gave up 30 less which is why they finished higher than us in the standings.
Proves how out of touch Scooby is and is just looking to make loud whiny noises.

Zucc played for the Rangers and 2 games with the Stars before breaking his arm.

Did have a nice playoff with the Stars though.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 01 11:37 am

He was a Predator so that means he's a gamebreaker.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 01 11:38 am

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:37 am
Handyman wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Proves how out of touch Scooby is and is just looking to make loud whiny noises.

Sure. Getting older, slower, and smaller is always a good thing.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 01 11:39 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:38 am
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Loud and whiny.

Zucc is not slow, keep going.

poisondart
Rookie

Post by poisondart » Mon Jul 01 1:11 pm

What’s the story signing Dumont and Johnson? These are AHL guys......didn’t we trade a guy to Anaheim for Aberg, who they’ve let walk and are now signing guys for more money with worse numbers than the guy they gave away? I’m confused. I suppose the bottom line is none of these guys were going to make a difference but it makes a guy wonder what they are thinking.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 01 1:47 pm

poisondart wrote:
Mon Jul 01 1:11 pm
What’s the story signing Dumont and Johnson? These are AHL guys......didn’t we trade a guy to Anaheim for Aberg, who they’ve let walk and are now signing guys for more money with worse numbers than the guy they gave away? I’m confused. I suppose the bottom line is none of these guys were going to make a difference but it makes a guy wonder what they are thinking.
You just said it, none of these guys will make a difference.

So they took a flyer on Aberg who had 11 goals, essentially giving him an in season tryout. He didnt pass, he is out. We gave away Kloos, small cost to maybe find something for a bottom 6 on the cheap. So Kloos is gone so you plug in another guy that won't ever make a difference.

They did the same thing with Hunt, he earned his deal and will stay.

These type of signings are common every year around the league, filling out your AHL team. Especially for the Wild since Fletcher and Flahr weren't big believers in the draft nor very good at it.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Jul 01 2:12 pm

I don’t know what Fenton is thinking, but I like it.😀

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 01 2:14 pm

poisondart wrote:
Mon Jul 01 1:11 pm
Need a couple of older guys in Iowa to show some leadership to all of the rookies that will be there this year. Sounds like O'reilly wants to move on to a place that might give him a chance at the NHL.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Mon Jul 01 3:37 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

right on scooby

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 01 3:38 pm

Looks like Wild added Mats Zucarello today too

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by JC65 » Mon Jul 01 4:26 pm

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jul 01 6:26 pm

WTF
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Jul 01 6:30 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Jul 01 6:26 pm
WTF
Is the comment or repeating it weirder? 😂

clarkegs
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by clarkegs » Mon Jul 01 6:44 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

But we make up for it by being stupid.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 01 7:23 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:27 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Handyman wrote:
That's what you are running with when all 3 blow Zucker out if the water with their production?

Anyhow I hope Zucker can assert himself and give us the 30 goal, 60 point guy for consecutive years that is what we need.

Maybe he will pull a page out of Dumba's book and play like he wants to prove he is worth double his contract. Instead of flubbing an entire year.
Doesn't Zuccarello accrue most of his points via assist?
I don't remember the exact tally but I thought I heard he only has one season where he's scored more than like 18 goals (maybe it was 19, I was half paying attention). Either way it doesn't seem like he's exactly a guy who pours in goals left and right.
Somebody is going to need to be that guy. Zucker has shown the ability to score 20+ goals a year. Maybe he'll bounce back now that he presumably knows he's staying here at least for another year or two.

I won't profess to being a great Zuccarello mind (I know he was always a pain in the ass to play against in NHL online on Xbox 😂) but I don't know if I'm a huge fan of committing 6 million a year to a guy until he's 37. Especially a guy without who traditionally is more of a set-up guy on a team desperate for goal scorers.
That said, I'm glad they added some talent to the team. Winters are more fun when the Wild are entertaining.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 01 11:23 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jul 01 7:23 pm
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Handyman wrote:

I don't remember the exact tally but I thought I heard he only has one season where he's scored more than like 18 goals (maybe it was 19, I was half paying attention). Either way it doesn't seem like he's exactly a guy who pours in goals left and right.
Somebody is going to need to be that guy. Zucker has shown the ability to score 20+ goals a year. Maybe he'll bounce back now that he presumably knows he's staying here at least for another year or two.

I won't profess to being a great Zuccarello mind (I know he was always a pain in the ass to play against in NHL online on Xbox 😂) but I don't know if I'm a huge fan of committing 6 million a year to a guy until he's 37. Especially a guy without who traditionally is more of a set-up guy on a team desperate for goal scorers.
That said, I'm glad they added some talent to the team. Winters are more fun when the Wild are entertaining.
Zuccarello is an older gritter version of Granlund. Good puck handler that can score goals but is a better playmaker.

Zucker decided that he didn't have to pay the price to score goals after signing his deal. Either he will start playing hard again or he will continue to be nothing more than a fast guy with zero puck skills and a 10 cent head.

fishingmn
Golden
Golden

Post by fishingmn » Tue Jul 02 7:27 am

Wild just need to trade for Travis Zajac or Mika Zibanejad to put together a great line.
Helping buyers and sellers of real estate in the south and west metro.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jul 02 8:40 am

J22 wrote:
Mon Jul 01 11:23 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Jul 01 7:23 pm
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Zuccarello is an older gritter version of Granlund. Good puck handler that can score goals but is a better playmaker.

Zucker decided that he didn't have to pay the price to score goals after signing his deal. Either he will start playing hard again or he will continue to be nothing more than a fast guy with zero puck skills and a 10 cent head.
To add to Beauner's goal scorer concern.

Last year we lost Granlund, Nino and Coyle. Zucc is a Granlund type of player replacement.

Nino and Coyle. I mean Ryan Flipping Hartman has scored as many goals as Coyle over the last 3 seasons.

Donato, Kunin, Fiala, Greenway, Ek will obviously need to score, the first 3 have the ability to score off of their shot. And the lineup will benefit from a playmaker.

Kaprizov a year away.

Zucc can also run a power play.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Tue Jul 02 1:31 pm

This guy will be good for the Wild, he won't have issues getting to the rink on time in his Subaru. Maybe he'll be a good influence on Dumba.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Jul 04 9:59 am

Was hoping we could land a Gusev....

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jul 05 11:30 am

:lol: Down Goes Brown: The 20 stages of watching your team make a horrible free agency mistake.

https://theathletic.com/1062155/2019/07 ... dailyemail

And yes, Paul Fenton’s bizarre “He’s like a lizard” rant from this week might be the greatest example of the GM press conference I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure it can even be topped. We may have to retire stage nine.

Stage 11: The defenders emerge
Some fans will always defend everything their team does. It’s cool. It’s what fans are supposed to do. You root for a team, and that means you have their back, whether they deserve it or not.

:dup:

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 34 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 05 2:58 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Fri Jul 05 11:30 am
:lol: Down Goes Brown: The 20 stages of watching your team make a horrible free agency mistake.

https://theathletic.com/1062155/2019/07 ... dailyemail

And yes, Paul Fenton’s bizarre “He’s like a lizard” rant from this week might be the greatest example of the GM press conference I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure it can even be topped. We may have to retire stage nine.

Stage 11: The defenders emerge
Some fans will always defend everything their team does. It’s cool. It’s what fans are supposed to do. You root for a team, and that means you have their back, whether they deserve it or not.

:dup:
This was absolutely brilliant reading. It could belong in 6-8 threads on this site alone
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jul 15 12:51 pm

https://theathletic.com/1074196/2019/07 ... ontenders/
Here was the criteria to be labeled a Stanley Cup contender for that particular season:

Advance to the conference finals

OR

Check four of the six boxes in these categories:

1. Finish the regular season with 100 or more points (or the equivalent in a lockout year)
2. Finish in the top 10 in both the penalty kill and power play
3. Finish in the top five in the league in xGF%
4. Finish in the top five in the league in GF%
5. Finish in the top five in the league in SRS (a metric from hockey-reference that factors in goal differential and strength of schedule)
6. Advance to the second round of the playoffs the previous year
The Wild actually made the list once from 2008-2019. Once. In 2017. Which of course was the Hanzal season. I guess what's illuminating to me is here I thought the window was open much longer. It was really only one year. And now it's shut. Good to know.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jul 15 1:47 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 15 12:51 pm
Here was the criteria to be labeled a Stanley Cup contender for that particular season:

OR

1. Finish the regular season with 100 or more points (or the equivalent in a lockout year)
5. Finish in the top five in the league in SRS (a metric from hockey-reference that factors in goal differential and strength of schedule)
The Wild actually made the list once from 2008-2019. Once. In 2017. Which of course was the Hanzal season. I guess what's illuminating to me is here I thought the window was open much longer. It was really only one year. And now it's shut. Good to know.
This is a little different way of looking at a "Contender" I usually thought of it going into a season, mid season, ect. who are the contenders?

All these criteria are from the same year in question, except #6. I would simply call this, the best teams from that season. Especially when you can crown a "contender" at the conference finals! Seems pretty obvious.

How can a team's window be shut when using the upcoming season's data which doesn't exist yet?

Given this exercise maybe Fenton isn't so dumb after all. Selling assets when the team wasn't a "contender" the past two years. Especially considering Granlund and Coyle would be in the last year of their deals.

"He was decisive: When the team was good, he added. When it wasn’t quite good enough, he subtracted. There’s a lot to learn here."

We will see how it works out.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jul 15 4:15 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jul 15 12:51 pm

OR

Maybe I'm not understanding that article correctly, but if I am, what a crock of $h!t. Tampa was the only legit cup contender going into this seasons playoffs?