Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by D2D » Fri Jun 07 11:11 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:05 pm
If the Twins wanted to secure Kimbrel they would have had to outbid Chicago, which would have been more money or more years. That's how free agency works. Bidding wars lead to overpayment.
And bidding wars eventually lead to higher priced tickets for the fans.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:12 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:13 pm
Doesn't matter how much the Mets have to pay Bonilla, or how long they have to pay him. There. Is. No. Salary. Cap.
So what...that doesnt mean every team can spend the same amount. It just means they have the opportunity to.

And again it isnt about spending the money...plenty of teams spend money. It is about spending the money wisely. If you want to be the Mets that is fine but ask a Mets fan whether they enjoy it. The Phillies spent a fortune on Bryce Harper and they have what, a 2 game lead on the Braves? The Padres are in third in their division and they threw how much money around this offseason? (yes the Dodgers spent more but the Rockies are ahead of them as well)

If the reports are true then the fans really have nothing to whine about I am sorry. The team has 1 less win than the friggin Dodgers but the fans just have to have something to get in a huff about.
Last edited by Handyman on Fri Jun 07 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:14 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:34 pm
You can say "there is no salary cap" all you want but the Twins aren't going to match Boston or NY or LA in salary. Ever.

Ever.

If the option is sign Kimbrel to a 4 year 55 million dollar deal and then lose Buxton or Rosario because they both want a bigger term/extension and you can't afford both with Berrios, Sano, Garver, Polanco, Kepler, etc. is that really worth pissing on your future for? For a guy to throw 65 innings a year?

No. It isn't. Especially when you can add a cheaper, team controlled contract for a mid-tier prospect (or even a higher-tier prospect). I love Kimbrel, he's one of my favorite guys to watch, but it's not even a hard decision if that is the long term choice.

The Twins farm system is really really good, one of the 8-10 best in baseball. Part of the benefits of selling off assets at the deadline is being able to flip the pieces you got to acquire assets when you're contending.

It's literally the exact blueprint that Houston started a decade ago. They overhauled everything, they bottomed out, they drafted wisely, then sold off assets to continue to build their farm system. Then all of a sudden they put things together. They had assets to trade for Verlander. Then they acquire Gerrit Cole too. They trade for Pressley. And guess what!? Even after making all those trades and moving prospects for viable assets, they still have a farm system ranked on the top 5 in baseball! Amazing how that works, isn't it? They made one "big" FA addition when they signed Brantley for 16 million a year (about 1.5 million more than Cruz got). They lost 2/5ths of their rotation last year and Marwin Gonzalez. And are still one of the 2-3 best teams on the planet.

That's what the Twins are building right now.
So chill out and enjoy watching a super fun team.
All...of...THIS!

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:19 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:51 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:34 pm
You can say "there is no salary cap" all you want but the Twins aren't going to match Boston or NY or LA in salary. Ever.

Ever.

If the option is sign Kimbrel to a 4 year 55 million dollar deal and then lose Buxton or Rosario because they both want a bigger term/extension and you can't afford both with Berrios, Sano, Garver, Polanco, Kepler, etc. is that really worth pissing on your future for? For a guy to throw 65 innings a year?

No. It isn't. Especially when you can add a cheaper, team controlled contract for a mid-tier prospect (or even a higher-tier prospect). I love Kimbrel, he's one of my favorite guys to watch, but it's not even a hard decision if that is the long term choice.

The Twins farm system is really really good, one of the 8-10 best in baseball. Part of the benefits of selling off assets at the deadline is being able to flip the pieces you got to acquire assets when you're contending.

It's literally the exact blueprint that Houston started a decade ago. They overhauled everything, they bottomed out, they drafted wisely, then sold off assets to continue to build their farm system. Then all of a sudden they put things together. They had assets to trade for Verlander. Then they acquire Gerrit Cole too. They trade for Pressley. And guess what!? Even after making all those trades and moving prospects for viable assets, they still have a farm system ranked on the top 5 in baseball! Amazing how that works, isn't it? They made one "big" FA addition when they signed Brantley for 16 million a year (about 1.5 million more than Cruz got). They lost 2/5ths of their rotation last year and Marwin Gonzalez. And are still one of the 2-3 best teams on the planet.

That's what the Twins are building right now.
So chill out and enjoy watching a super fun team.
But the contract Kimbrel signed wasn't outrageous, or over priced...so this argument doesn't work for me.
Obviously it was because most of the league disagrees with you. If it was such an easy decision why did it take until now for him to get signed?

So by definition it was outrageous and to most of the league he is overpriced.

Do you really think the Yankees or Red Sox couldnt have outbid for these guys if they thought it was worth it? Both teams could definitely use the help. Yet neither one did. No one did until the Cubs outbid the Twins and the Braves gave a one year deal. The league was fine letting these guys sit on their hands but what do they all know right?

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 11:34 pm

It wasn't the price. It was the price PLUS the extra year. That's a BIG difference.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:35 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:34 pm
It wasn't the price. It was the price PLUS the extra year. That's a BIG difference.
Which exactly one team offered him. Proving the point Beauner and I are making ;) (and you for that matter)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 11:39 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:35 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:34 pm
Which exactly one team offered him. Proving the point Beauner and I are making ;) (and you for that matter)
I agree that the Twins made the smart choice.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 08 12:34 am

I just found this article on Facebook (shared/posted by KFAN, not sure how I missed it before). I'll just leave this here, since Nick has more statistical information than I'm willing to dig up on my phone. But this article essentially backed up everything I have been saying and provided evidence for it.

https://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twin ... ance-r7908

Couple key spots
Kimbrel's own risk points have been discussed extensively here and elsewhere. His velocity was down last year. He pitched poorly in the second half and postseason as his control unraveled. Most of his peripherals, in general, were far from elite. He's a 31-year-old who has logged large, high-stress relief workloads every year — and remember, you're paying for his uncertain future, not his undeniably phenomenal past.

Kimbrel is an all-time great closer. Everyone recognizes this. The Twins are hardly the only contender with bullpen issues. Many of them are large-market clubs with far less financial restraint. How come none of these teams scooped up Kimbrel at any during his last seven months of availability — especially his former team the Red Sox, who saw all that greatness up-close and wouldn't have even had to forfeit a draft pick?

The Twins' leadership is at the head of baseball's evolution toward sophistication and analytical evaluation. Their shrewdness when it comes to managing risk has helped them avoid bad free agent deals that could hinder future flexibility. As much as some people want to say, "It's not your money, the Pohlads have endless cash" or "There's no salary cap in baseball," the reality is that committing millions of dollars into future seasons does have an impact, and will limit what the team is able to do going forward.
He goes on to talk about Addison Reed and how he went from high-end bullpen FA arm to unusable in a heartbeat, and how stories like that with relief pitchers are way more common than the "signed a 31 year old RP to a 4 year deal and it was totally worth it" stories.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Kelor » Sat Jun 08 8:17 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:45 pm
I don't think Parker can be trusted at all at this point.
Not to mention he's excruciating to watch. Even Bert mentioned how long it takes him to finally throw the ball. I think his series of 27 pitches took nearly 1/2 hour.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 08 8:41 am

Astudillo down to AAA, Twins to call up a relief pitcher it sounds like.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jun 08 8:52 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jun 08 8:41 am
That would suck to be sent down to AAA because the pitchers aren’t doing their job.

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Jun 08 8:55 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jun 08 8:52 am
Beauner wrote:
That would suck to be sent down to AAA because the pitchers aren’t doing their job.
Astudillo has been hitting like .160 since getting off the IL. He probably needs some time to tweak some things to get back to where he was.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 08 9:00 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Sat Jun 08 8:55 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Beauner wrote:
Astudillo has been hitting like .160 since getting off the IL. He probably needs some time to tweak some things to get back to where he was.
Probably. I love the guy and all, but it's not like we're hurting at catcher, either.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 08 9:13 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Beauner wrote:
He got sent down because he's been pretty brutal at the plate he last couple months. Once teams started shifting in him it seems like it really got in his head and he started trying to do too much to beat the shift.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 74 times

Post by D2D » Sat Jun 08 10:31 am

Kelor wrote:
Sat Jun 08 8:17 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
Not to mention he's excruciating to watch. Even Bert mentioned how long it takes him to finally throw the ball. I think his series of 27 pitches took nearly 1/2 hour.
He does not look confident or comfortable out there. All the gyrations he goes through makes me nervous.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Composer » Sat Jun 08 1:21 pm

Kelor wrote:
Sat Jun 08 8:17 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
Kimbrel is worse...

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jun 08 4:13 pm

Gibby not looking good so far.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times

Post by sunbone » Sat Jun 08 5:57 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jun 08 9:13 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Beauner wrote:
He got sent down because he's been pretty brutal at the plate he last couple months. Once teams started shifting in him it seems like it really got in his head and he started trying to do too much to beat the shift.
I know he is a cute story but if he actually wants to be a big leaguer he might want to think about getting himself in better shape.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jun 08 6:05 pm

Soooooooo Magill is awful.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jun 08 6:14 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Jun 08 6:05 pm
Soooooooo Magill is awful.
I wish I could like my own post.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jun 08 6:36 pm

Just get another beer. Maybe that will help...?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Jun 08 6:52 pm

Are they starting to Minnesota it? f***
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 08 6:54 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Jun 08 6:52 pm
The scientific term is "Twinning."

TheRube33 on UnTappd

mnpuckguy
Rookie

Post by mnpuckguy » Sat Jun 08 6:56 pm

Kyle Gibson is the most overrated pitcher in the American League!! He should be traded or sent to Rochester. He can’t be counted on and is the weak spot in the rotation!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Jun 08 6:56 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 08 6:54 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
The scientific term is "Twinning."
I've never heard it applied to all the other teams in town. Bigger issue.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jun 08 7:26 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
nevermind Eeyore aint worth it...
Last edited by Handyman on Sat Jun 08 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times

Post by sunbone » Sat Jun 08 7:41 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Jun 08 7:26 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
nevermind Eeyore aint worth it...
Only on a pace to win 108 games. Losers.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Jun 08 7:47 pm

That's why I said starting to and asked instead of stated. Didn't bolster the lineup. Winning a series would be nice but if that's it at the end of the day, meh.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 08 11:19 pm

Didn't bolster the lineup? It's the first week in June. The trade deadline is a month+ away.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 08 11:22 pm

mnpuckguy wrote:
Sat Jun 08 6:56 pm
Kyle Gibson is the most overrated pitcher in the American League!! He should be traded or sent to Rochester. He can’t be counted on and is the weak spot in the rotation!
He had a 3.75 ERA and a 6-2 record coming in to today. And that's after he lost 30lbs and missed a good chunk of spring training after getting e Coli and got off to a terrible start. Calm down.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jun 09 12:13 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Jun 08 7:47 pm
That's why I said starting to and asked instead of stated. Didn't bolster the lineup. Winning a series would be nice but if that's it at the end of the day, meh.
They could win the World Series and you would "meh" it for some ridiculous reason. You would never dare let yourself enjoy anything.

Last year they won 78 games...they already have 42 and they havent even played 40% of the season yet. But of course Minnesota fans have to already be ready to jump off the bandwagon because to them the only thing that matters is winning the Title anything less is meaningless. That way they can wallow in their self pity and always be miserable. If Eeyore wasn't serious he would be the perfect satire of the locals.

The Twins are leading their division, have one of the best records in baseball and have yet to even have a 3 game losing streak. Silly me I am going to enjoy it and let the chips fall where they may. Then again my testosterone count isnt tied up in the win/loss record of the teams I support so I am crazy I guess.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Greyeagle
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 09 9:10 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Jun 09 12:13 am
They could win the World Series and you would "meh" it for some ridiculous reason. You would never dare let yourself enjoy anything.

Last year they won 78 games...they already have 42 and they havent even played 40% of the season yet. But of course Minnesota fans have to already be ready to jump off the bandwagon because to them the only thing that matters is winning the Title anything less is meaningless. That way they can wallow in their self pity and always be miserable. If Eeyore wasn't serious he would be the perfect satire of the locals.

The Twins are leading their division, have one of the best records in baseball and have yet to even have a 3 game losing streak. Silly me I am going to enjoy it and let the chips fall where they may. Then again my testosterone count isnt tied up in the win/loss record of the teams I support so I am crazy I guess.
You are crazy.
And an optimist.....your kind is not allowed 'round here.
:lol:
What in the world ever became of sweet Jane?
She lost her sparkle, you know she isn't the same
Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine
All a friend can say is, "Ain't it a shame?"

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 21 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Jun 09 11:13 am

Miguel "K" Sano could use some meditative reverie while the wheels of the bus go round and round.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jun 09 12:43 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Jun 09 9:10 am
Handyman wrote:
Sun Jun 09 12:13 am

You are crazy.
And an optimist.....your kind is not allowed 'round here.
:lol:
Funny thing is most people I know think I am a pessimist :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jun 09 1:06 pm

Sano just went DEEEEEEEP to right center. Not very many guys can hit the ball that far, especially guys that bat right handed. Wow.
Measured at 436 feet opposite field 😳

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jun 09 1:07 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Jun 09 11:13 am
Miguel "K" Sano could use some meditative reverie while the wheels of the bus go round and round.
And BOOM...Sanó responds to your lament 😉 :dance:

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 09 1:24 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jun 09 1:06 pm
Sano just went DEEEEEEEP to right center. Not very many guys can hit the ball that far, especially guys that bat right handed. Wow.
Measured at 436 feet opposite field 😳
That was crushed!
Not much as fooled the Twins today.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 09 1:24 pm

All 9 position players already have a hit today
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jun 09 1:30 pm

CJ Cron, a power hitting 1B. What a novel concept. And then Sano ends the inning he homered in (earlier)...with a Specisl K 🤣

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 09 1:49 pm

Twins have opened up a can of whup-ass, it's kind of drizzling in Detroit, & Cabrera is chirping the home plate ump; I'm guessing Gardy gets himself run out of this game soon. :lol:

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Sun Jun 09 2:06 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jun 09 1:24 pm
All 9 position players already have a hit today
Nice to see Gardy and Rick Anderson have the staff pitching to contact.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jun 09 2:15 pm

Buxton with another HR!

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 09 2:15 pm

Buxton goes yard!
He might be my favorite player to watch.....he's just electric.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 09 2:18 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Jun 09 2:15 pm
Buxton goes yard!
It’s a lot of fun seeing him put it all together.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 09 2:20 pm

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jun 09 2:44 pm

Man the Twins are just meh. :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jun 09 2:49 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Jun 09 2:44 pm
Man the Twins are just meh. :lol:
Especially if they don’t win by at least 15. Slackers.

;)

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Jun 09 3:19 pm

Twins up 12-2 and chasing balls down in the field like it’s a 1 run game
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jun 09 4:44 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Jun 09 2:15 pm
Buxton goes yard!
Too bad so many people in here knew he was a bust...

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sun Jun 09 5:20 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Jun 09 2:20 pm
the lumber company

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Jun 09 11:03 pm

Whats the next closest team amount of players with 10+ HR?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jun 09 11:46 pm

I dunno but I bet they are pretenders who are "meh" :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jun 10 12:00 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jun 10 12:00 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Jun 09 1:07 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Sun Jun 09 11:13 am
And BOOM...Sanó responds to your lament 😉 :dance:
That Tiger's pitching line up today was teeing it up. :D

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Maize » Mon Jun 10 1:05 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Jun 09 11:03 pm
Whats the next closest team amount of players with 10+ HR?
Seattle is one Omar Narvaez HR away from having seven, if you count the 14 Jay Bruce hit before he was traded. Houston needs one from Jose Altuve and three from Josh Redick to have seven..

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jun 11 8:16 am

Twins traded terrible draft pick and awful reach Tyler Jay for cash considerations last night.

Shockingly, drafting a college relief pitcher at #6 overall didn't work out.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 11 9:03 am

Just clarifying this pick was four years ago.
Beauner wrote:
Tue Jun 11 8:16 am
Twins traded terrible 2015 draft pick and awful reach Tyler Jay for cash considerations last night.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Jun 11 8:27 pm

Dong Show!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Jun 11 8:30 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Jun 11 8:27 pm
Dong Show!

;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 11 9:10 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jun 11 9:03 am
Just clarifying this pick was four years ago.
Beauner wrote:
Tue Jun 11 8:16 am
Twins traded terrible 2015 draft pick and awful reach Tyler Jay for cash considerations last night.

To add, baseball drafts are more similar to hockey drafts. Could take years to figure out if the pick was worth it. Basketball and football are much different.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 11 9:53 pm

Dick Bremer just correctly called a wild pitch.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 11 9:59 pm

Wish we could have tacked on a couple more, but that Adams guy has a wicked slider.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Tue Jun 11 10:03 pm

Oh boy!! Parker is pitching!! I have time for a nap before the end of the game.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 11 10:06 pm

Kelor wrote:
Tue Jun 11 10:03 pm
Ummm, Trevor May is pitching.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Tue Jun 11 10:08 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Jun 11 10:06 pm
Kelor wrote:
Tue Jun 11 10:03 pm
Ummm, Trevor May is pitching.
The internet play by play said Parker. Maybe they were hoping?

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 11 10:08 pm

Castro's pitch framing got that punch out. Half a foot outside.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 11 10:15 pm

May with his first save of the season, 4th of his career. :lol:

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Jun 11 10:47 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Jun 11 10:08 pm
May was extremely fortunate to get that call

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 12 12:23 am

Meh.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 12 7:36 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Jun 11 10:47 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Yes and no. The ump had been calling that pitch off the corner all game long. It may not be a strike technically speaking but the umpire called it a strike so it was a strike all night long.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 12 8:41 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 12 7:36 am
Bigbeer wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Yes and no. The ump had been calling that pitch off the corner all game long. It may not be a strike technically speaking but the umpire called it a strike so it was a strike all night long.
Good point. I only caught the last couple innings. Encarnacion didn't like the call, but didn't protest much. He's a pretty stoic guy, though.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by YoungEagle » Wed Jun 12 9:58 am

Nats are shopping Scherzer? My, my..
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 12 10:08 am

Beauner wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Not only that but the batter needs to defend the plate with 2 strikes.

Sano's late strike out, for example, pretty much unfolded like I thought it would. He doesn't get cheated on his swing, and the danger of throwing him a slider or curve is that he'll go deep on anything in the strike zone that doesn't have a hard downward bite on it. However, he's prone to swinging at those pitches and pitchers know it. He's not exactly a contact hitter, so if a pitcher can keep that slider off the plate Sano is going to swing out of his shoes. Sometimes, late in the count is a good time for a hitter to change it up a little so that he can make contact or control his bat*....but he's got the classic "might Casey has struck out" swing. :)

With Sano you take the bad with the good.

*Is it me or are teams putting on the shift for some batters now more than ever before? The stats wonks must have the ears of these major league managers, because I don't remember ever seeing this stratagem more than I have so far this season.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 12 10:23 am

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Jun 12 10:08 am
Beauner wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Not only that but the batter needs to defend the plate with 2 strikes.

Sano's late strike out, for example, pretty much unfolded like I thought it would. He doesn't get cheated on his swing, and the danger of throwing him a slider or curve is that he'll go deep on anything in the strike zone that doesn't have a hard downward bite on it. However, he's prone to swinging at those pitches and pitchers know it. He's not exactly a contact hitter, so if a pitcher can keep that slider off the plate Sano is going to swing out of his shoes. Sometimes, late in the count is a good time for a hitter to change it up a little so that he can make contact or control his bat*....but he's got the classic "might Casey has struck out" swing. :)

With Sano you take the bad with the good.

*Is it me or are teams putting on the shift for some batters now more than ever before? The stats wonks must have the ears of these major league managers, because I don't remember ever seeing this stratagem more than I have so far this season.
Yes they are...and it is rather annoying to watch. Even more annoying is that players arent equipped to take advantage of it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 12 8:59 pm

Looking silly against Tommy Milone so far.