Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 3:49 pm

Well in all honesty the excitement level at those games is way higher these days.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 3:55 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 3:28 pm
When I did an average ticket price for all the BigTen schools for the 2016/17 season. The difference between MN and the other schools was dramatic.

What I did was see how much a game cost at a school when MN was visiting. Then did the same when they visited MN. I need to update my chart for next year, but the AVERAGE cost on the road per ticket was $22. At Mariucci it was $50. So more than double the cost on average for a single game ticket. (Nothing to do with season ticket cost)
That is just ridiculous...
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

MNhockey20

Post by MNhockey20 » Mon Mar 11 3:55 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Mar 11 3:48 pm
MNhockey20 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 3:40 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:48 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:45 pm
Get Pat the Rat on the podcast. 😳😀
I’ve thought about that. But I think we’d need to do a dedicated show for that.

But that may be a good plan in the coming weeks if the season ends soon.
Do we even know what Pat does for this program... His alma mater. I feel like he talks up all the other MN teams more than the Gophers. I mean I don't think he was at either Gopher hockey game this past weekend as he was in St. Cloud broadcasting Huskies games. I think he has passion for the Gophers, but not sure what he is doing about it along with all the other alums that probably were not at the games this past weekend. So yeah get him on a show!!!
Pat was at the game Friday. Pat is probably the most visible alum around the program.

I know for a fact that their are alumni sh**ting on this program. I've heard it right in person. The ones I have heard are older than Pat, they are extremely disgruntled.
Thats a problem the alumni are not visible, I have had season tickets for 6-7 years and barely see any of them around, but sure they are upstairs in all maybe, but they need to be more visible in my opinion instead of just on special occasions.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 11 4:08 pm

MNhockey20 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 3:55 pm
team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Do we even know what Pat does for this program... His alma mater. I feel like he talks up all the other MN teams more than the Gophers. I mean I don't think he was at either Gopher hockey game this past weekend as he was in St. Cloud broadcasting Huskies games. I think he has passion for the Gophers, but not sure what he is doing about it along with all the other alums that probably were not at the games this past weekend. So yeah get him on a show!!!
Pat was at the game Friday. Pat is probably the most visible alum around the program.

I know for a fact that their are alumni sh**ting on this program. I've heard it right in person. The ones I have heard are older than Pat, they are extremely disgruntled.
Thats a problem the alumni are not visible, I have had season tickets for 6-7 years and barely see any of them around, but sure they are upstairs in all maybe, but they need to be more visible in my opinion instead of just on special occasions.
The Ohio State game that I went to this year I had tickets for the suite level and one of the suites listed Gopher Hockey alumni on the door to the suite so I imagine those that do show up aren't mixing among the masses and are slumming it above.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 11 8:24 pm

team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Weren't we told that change when Lucia stepped down?

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Mar 11 8:25 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 11 8:24 pm
team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Turns out they're just angry old guys!
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Mar 11 8:26 pm

Norm wrote:
team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Bob isn’t an alum so a certain segment of those guys will backstab him just like they did Lucia.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Mar 11 8:29 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 8:25 pm
Norm wrote:
team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Turns out they're just angry old guys!
Careful there fella, so are most of the people posting here...
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 9:44 pm

sunbone wrote:
Mon Mar 11 8:26 pm
Norm wrote:
team22tank wrote:
MNhockey20 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Bob isn’t an alum so a certain segment of those guys will backstab him just like they did Lucia.
Sadly you know it is true...

You would think the U would learn to never listen to those guys...over the years their decisions have been awful. My dad has told me dozens of stories over the years. The best is after Holtz left...Bobby Ross came in to interview and wanted the job. M Club was split (cause he wasnt one of them) and the players wanted Gutey...so Gutey got the job with the M Clubs blessing. Ross went to Georgia Tech and split a National Title before coaching the Chargers. My dad was friendly with a very prominent member of the M Club at the time and that guy was one of the ones who wanted Ross and was ticked off when they went another way. Said Ross really pushed hard to be hired and was all in.

M Club is also how Joe Salem got the job, those clowns ripped Jerry Kill from Day 1, they have undermined every AD and coach they havent had a hand in hiring and they only want other M Clubbers to be hired. They bad mouthed Lucia even after he won titles (gave Woog most of the credit) and if Motzko is successful they will undermine him too.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Mar 11 10:25 pm

xyz wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:43 pm
It obviously wouldn't have made any difference in what ultimately happened . . . but I do wonder if the chronic misperception among the dullards out there about the circumstances surrounding the B10/WCHA thing, and the U's role in it, might not be so ingrained had Lucia and Maturi not been such good soldiers in following orders that came from higher up. My sense at the time was that, whatever might have gone on during the planning stage, both of them were very careful not to say things that might have upset people at higher pay grades than them (I have to think they were both aware at the time that the U was the Big Ten school that would suffer the most from realignment).
There were 5 votes in favor of moving to the B1G for hockey... and the U wasn't about to upset the cash cart from Football/Bouncyball for a 3rd string sport. Especially when MOST of the benefit from the conference is on the Academic, not Athletic side.

As much as we love hockey here, it's either the 3rd or 4th sport for the school, and ALL sports in the B1G lag a distant second to the research side of the alliance.
:BDTR:

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 10:31 pm

From what I understand, and could be wrong, MN hockey voted no, but it was only symbolic in nature.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 12 9:46 am

I believe they voted "no" on the move but opted in when it would have been suicidal to not go after the vote passed.
Currently under construction.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 9:56 am

Suicidal to not go? What in the world does that mean? They went cuz they had no choice.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Mar 12 9:58 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 9:56 am
Suicidal to not go? What in the world does that mean? They went cuz they had no choice.
Well, they DID have a choice... leave the Big Ten. There was exactly zero chance they would do that, but, technically the option was there.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 12 9:58 am

We're actually arguing this again? Really?
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Mar 12 10:08 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Mar 12 9:58 am
Well...that damn horse ain't dead enough evidently. :crazy:
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by george » Tue Mar 12 10:10 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Mar 12 10:08 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Next up: how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Tue Mar 12 10:42 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Scooby,

The sad thing is… there are actually a small percentage of people out there that believe that the Gophers telling the B1G to “stick it” with regard to hockey was (and still is) a viable option. As if our athletic department would be stupid enough to risk all of the benefits of the B1G just because of one sport… :roll:

It just goes to show you that you can’t underestimate the lack of brains in some people in this world.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Viking » Tue Mar 12 10:59 am

george wrote:
Tue Mar 12 10:10 am
g-manpuck wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Mar 12 11:02 am

Hammy wrote:
Tue Mar 12 10:42 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Scooby,

The sad thing is… there are actually a small percentage of people out there that believe that the Gophers telling the B1G to “stick it” with regard to hockey was (and still is) a viable option. As if our athletic department would be stupid enough to risk all of the benefits of the B1G just because of one sport… :roll:

It just goes to show you that you can’t underestimate the lack of brains in some people in this world.
These may be the very same people who think professional wrestling is real. :mrgreen:

Greyeagle
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Mar 12 11:11 am

george wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
African or European?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Mar 12 11:30 am

Leo on with PA right now talking about the attendance at Mariucci and the program as a whole.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 12 11:31 am

Steve MN wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Well, they DID have a choice... leave the Big Ten. There was exactly zero chance they would do that, but, technically the option was there.
Someone correctly got my point.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 11:40 am

Beauner wrote:
Tue Mar 12 11:30 am
Leo on with PA right now talking about the attendance at Mariucci and the program as a whole.
And said what?

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Mar 12 11:44 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 11:40 am
Beauner wrote:
Tue Mar 12 11:30 am
And said what?
It definitely seems he is really down on ticket prices.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 11:48 am

Genius. All these other ideas people are throwing out are nice but that is the one that can move the needle if they actually cut them as much as they should.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Mar 12 11:58 am

Essentially: ticket prices are embarrassingly high.
He also talked about how Michigan was considered a big rival when he was playing (I've always considered them one of our top 3-4 rivals personally and apparently Leo feels the same) and was really disappointed that the stands were so empty for a playoff game against a rival.

Said he and some other alumni feel bad that the players are dealing with this when they almost always had a packed house regardless of who they played.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 12:02 pm

It has to be hurting recruiting in some way.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 12 12:16 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 12:02 pm
It has to be hurting recruiting in some way.
Absolutely.

If the empty arena goes on for another few years which it most likely will that will mean that kids getting recruited will only know Gopher Hockey as such.

This is definitely uncharted territory for the program.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Tue Mar 12 12:20 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Mar 12 11:11 am
george wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
African or European?
You have to know these things when you're a king.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Mar 12 1:14 pm

Hammy wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Scooby,

There is a better chance we drop all sports like Chicago did than we ever consider leaving the Big Ten.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

alignrock
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by alignrock » Tue Mar 12 1:18 pm

The fact that Leo and others are out on the airwaves talking about these issues, from the perspective of love for the program, and as legends, can only help.......IF the University is listening. I really haven't had much to say on this whole thing...I'm an alum, I've loved the program since I was a preteen. I started lurking and contributing to POI and GPL in my early 20's, and experienced 02-03 in real time with a lot of folks on this site, even though I don't necessarily have personal friendships here. Now, years later, I take my kids to 4-5 games a year and they love it too.

Has the decreasing attendance been a bummer? Sure. Has it changed our pattern as a family of Gopher fans? Not yet. My kids don't really know the difference between a playoff game and a July getaway game at Target Field in terms of a attendance FWIW. The pageantry of Mariucci, in terms of the band, etc. and the acoustics of the building, I'm honestly not sure if my 6 yr old son notices the difference between 6,000 and 10,000. He eats it all up every time he's there.

I just don't have any hot takes that haven't already been stated ad nauseum. If the U wants to listen and change things, I hope they do. That's all.

But at the same time, if the team performs, the rivalry games will immediately take care of themselves. When Kloos beat the BADgers SUCK in the 3rd on that Sat night in '17, that place was packed. Sure, maybe not 1994 packed....but I've been going there consistently since 2003 and it was a full barn. That wasn't that long ago. I think Motzko is building a performer on the ice....if they're good....the seats will fill.

What the U CAN do, is take care of the situation so the seats are consistently getting used regardless of the immediate results. And if this program is what it's always been, that's not as hard to do as it's made out to be.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 132 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 12 1:46 pm

I’ve been wondering why everyone keeps posting “BADgers SUCK”. I see it’s an auto feature. 😆

trixR4kids
Veteran
Been liked: 12 times

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Mar 12 2:45 pm

Handyman wrote:
Tue Mar 12 1:14 pm
Hammy wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Scooby,

There is a better chance we drop all sports like Chicago did than we ever consider leaving the Big Ten.
I forget how that works but doesn't being part of the B1G also have academic/research $$$ implications? I know you've explained this before.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 12 3:36 pm

Yes. Big 10 is big time research dollars. No one is leaving because the hockey team can't play in the WCHA anymore.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 3:40 pm

No sane person would argue that hockey could have made the whole program leave the Big Ten. But because of that you can also say the Gopher hockey program was forced to join the Big Ten against its will, and their gut was right because we have been the most negatively impacted program from realignment.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 12 3:42 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 3:40 pm
No sane person would argue that hockey could have made the whole program leave the Big Ten. But because of that you can also say the Gopher hockey program was forced to join the Big Ten against its will, and their gut was right because we have been the most negatively impacted program from realignment.
Well, yeah. You could argue Wisconsin too but they didn't care.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Mar 12 4:12 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Agree 100%...nobody realized it at the time (the significance of impact) but the tangible result these last 5-6 years is undeniable.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Mar 12 4:36 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
And we all said that when it happened...but nothing could stop it.

Sconnie and Michigan screwed us all.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Mar 12 4:43 pm

For some reason, I just don’t see the admin being willing to lower ticket prices. I really wish they would.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Tue Mar 12 4:48 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Mar 12 4:43 pm
For some reason, I just don’t see the admin being willing to lower ticket prices. I really wish they would.
they wont they love there money

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 4:57 pm

Let's say 750 STH drop at an average of 800 per ticket. That's 600k lost revenue.

Lower every ticket 100 dollars and let's say everyone stays, about 5000 STH. That's 500K "lost".

If they don't lower the 700 base sections AT LEAST 100 to match the cheap section, they are absolutely effed for next year and beyond. Gaining a new STH in these conditions with the Wild across town and a whole generation or more lost to them is insanely hard. It's like they don't understand that simple business principle and it shows the entire AD is a money burning joke.

MafiaMan
Veteran

Post by MafiaMan » Tue Mar 12 6:27 pm

When did Brian Zepp move to Bozeman, MT?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Mar 12 6:57 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Mar 12 11:31 am
Steve MN wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Someone correctly got my point.
I'm pretty sure there were others that did, too. It wasn't really that hard of a point to comprehend, after all. :good2:

Biddco
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Biddco » Tue Mar 12 7:46 pm

MafiaMan wrote:
Tue Mar 12 6:27 pm
When did Brian Zepp move to Bozeman, MT?
When he found another job after KQ let him go a while back?
:ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Wed Mar 13 9:40 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 4:12 pm
Agree 100%...nobody realized it at the time (the significance of impact) but the tangible result these last 5-6 years is undeniable.
I think if the U athletic department had made more of an effort to "give back" to the fans in the beginning (in a sense, acknowledging that there is going to be a transition period that has to be worked through), the other stuff would have been dramatically lessened. The problem is they kept doing things as if it was "business as usual" and it made matters worse. Everybody knew that it was going to take time to build things up (familiarity, new rivalries, etc) and the school should have been smarter about addressing that with ticket pricing, etc.

At the end of the day, winning cures all. I strongly bet that once Motzko has another year or two of putting together his vision here, this team will be very dangerous again. When that happens, the focus on the past is largely going to fade into the woodwork because people will be looking ahead.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Mar 13 10:18 am

Agreed Hammy :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Mar 13 10:39 am

Hammy wrote:
Wed Mar 13 9:40 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
I think if the U athletic department had made more of an effort to "give back" to the fans in the beginning (in a sense, acknowledging that there is going to be a transition period that has to be worked through), the other stuff would have been dramatically lessened. The problem is they kept doing things as if it was "business as usual" and it made matters worse. Everybody knew that it was going to take time to build things up (familiarity, new rivalries, etc) and the school should have been smarter about addressing that with ticket pricing, etc.

At the end of the day, winning cures all. I strongly bet that once Motzko has another year or two of putting together his vision here, this team will be very dangerous again. When that happens, the focus on the past is largely going to fade into the woodwork because people will be looking ahead.
I agree winning cures most things. But it’s not like the Gophers have been horrible the last five years
(they’ve simply achieved far less than most fans expect) Clearly the donation program (priority seating) for STH has blew up in the administrations face. Individual game prices are WAY to high too, in general and against certain rival schools. And a certain proportion of the walk up fan base simply won’t pay to watch the certain BIG conf schools. And once price points get even close to Wild prices, at least in the short term, that siphons attendees away too. And while the Gophers have more TV games than damn near any school, I’ll still say from 2002-2012. FSN games at 7pm damn near every Friday & Saturday (state wide) was their #1 recruiting advantage. So yes, winning BIG 😉and getting to Frozen Fours will cure mamy ills, but I seriously doubt the toothpaste is ever going back into the tube for the Gophers (ala) the way things stood (the way their fans and opponents viewed their program) 2002-2007. In addition, realignment happened, and that toothpaste isn’t ever going back in the tube either, time to move on and FORWARD ☝️

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Mar 13 5:02 pm

One thing people don’t think about is how FSN changed as well. Games used to be 7pm every Friday and Saturday because the wild and Timberwolves had over-the-air local partners who would broadcast games on the weekends opening up slots for fsn to broadcast gophers. All the wolves/wild games are on fsn now and we have no over-the-air broadcast partner for any sport in this market, therefore pushing gopher hockey further down the broadcast ladder.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Mar 13 7:10 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Mar 13 10:39 am
Hammy wrote:
Wed Mar 13 9:40 am
bearpaw28 wrote:

I agree winning cures most things. But it’s not like the Gophers have been horrible the last five years
(they’ve simply achieved far less than most fans expect) Clearly the donation program (priority seating) for STH has blew up in the administrations face. Individual game prices are WAY to high too, in general and against certain rival schools. And a certain proportion of the walk up fan base simply won’t pay to watch the certain BIG conf schools. And once price points get even close to Wild prices, at least in the short term, that siphons attendees away too. And while the Gophers have more TV games than damn near any school, I’ll still say from 2002-2012. FSN games at 7pm damn near every Friday & Saturday (state wide) was their #1 recruiting advantage. So yes, winning BIG 😉and getting to Frozen Fours will cure mamy ills, but I seriously doubt the toothpaste is ever going back into the tube for the Gophers (ala) the way things stood (the way their fans and opponents viewed their program) 2002-2007. In addition, realignment happened, and that toothpaste isn’t ever going back in the tube either, time to move on and FORWARD ☝️
I believe using the “toothpaste back in the tube” metaphor more than once per post is frowned upon here...
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

gopher6
Veteran
Been liked: 5 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Mar 14 10:37 am

Zucker hit the hole at KFAN in the box this am

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Mar 14 10:58 am

gopher6 wrote:
Thu Mar 14 10:37 am
Hope PA is ok :mrgreen:

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Mar 14 11:06 am

gopher6 wrote:
Was Fenton getting interviewed? :mrgreen:

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Thu Mar 14 3:28 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Good lord PA would NOT shut up about how Adam Theilen's son was by the hole. You would have thought that it was some near death experience or something. I was traveling to Joplin today so I was streaming KFAN and I shut it off after that happened because PA was even more intolerable after that.

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Mar 14 10:20 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Thu Mar 14 3:28 pm
gopher6 wrote:
Good lord PA would NOT shut up about how Adam Theilen's son was by the hole. You would have thought that it was some near death experience or something. I was traveling to Joplin today so I was streaming KFAN and I shut it off after that happened because PA was even more intolerable after that.
He can get worse? I didn't think it was possible.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 14 10:23 pm

I'm not a fan of his overall, but he's not as bad as some think on here.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Mar 14 10:24 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 14 10:23 pm
Other than being unlistenable, he's great.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 14 10:28 pm

I like his Vikes gig. I don't mind his show, until he beats bits into the ground. Starts off fine, then goes way overboard on each segment. Yes, I know this is how it has been for years.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Iceburg » Fri Mar 15 9:24 am

Retired Thread Police

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Mar 15 6:54 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Thu Mar 14 10:24 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 14 10:23 pm
Other than being unlistenable, he's great.
The key is to barely pay attention, then he’s tolerable, kinda like 33% of the posters here.... :ahhh:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 19 12:30 pm

Just found out Emmer from the Gopher broadcasts this year came from SCSU. Good lord that reporter pipeline has been stacked lately.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Mar 19 12:39 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 19 12:30 pm
Just found out Emmer from the Gopher broadcasts this year came from SCSU. Good lord that reporter pipeline has been stacked lately.
She’s talented on air. Grew up with 6 brothers, she got her share of hockey ingrained in her soul. Congressman Emmers only daughter 👍

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 80 times

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 19 10:39 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Fri Mar 15 9:24 am
Will my Sid bobblehead be worth more if and when he makes 100? :lol:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Apr 18 3:04 pm

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 18 3:43 pm

Always liked Jeff even though he's a former St. Cloud hockey player. :evil: Then again - back then - we rarely lost to them. :lol:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Apr 18 3:47 pm

He should have retired after the Gopher Drinking expose...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 18 3:58 pm

Wow if you had asked me I would have guessed he'd been around longer than 1996. Not that 23 years is short it just seems like it's been more.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Apr 18 4:06 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:43 pm
Always liked Jeff even though he's a former St. Cloud hockey player. :evil: Then again - back then - we rarely lost to them. :lol:
St. Cloud and then Mankato. And we didn't play them back then!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=109456

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by sunbone » Thu Apr 18 4:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:58 pm
Wow if you had asked me I would have guessed he'd been around longer than 1996. Not that 23 years is short it just seems like it's been more.
That was just on channel 9. He was the sports guy on channel 11 before that for years.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Apr 18 4:14 pm

sunbone wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:09 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:58 pm
That was just on channel 9. He was the sports guy on channel 11 before that for years.
If I remember correctly he was the replacement sports guy on the KQ morning show after WCCO TV made Rosen leave that gig for a WCCO-AM thing. Probably 1988 or 1989?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Apr 18 4:20 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:06 pm
D2D wrote:

I think that page is not correct. Per his SCSU hall of fame page he played at SCSU from 77-81. Never played for Kato.
Distinguished Service Award Winner Jeff Passolt played ice hockey for the Huskies from 1977 to 1981. He scored 68 goals and tallied 68 assists during his career. His 136 career points ranks him 11th on the all-time scoring chart at St. Cloud State that includes players from the Division I, Division II, and 10980
Division III eras of Husky hockey

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Apr 18 4:29 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:20 pm
team22tank wrote:
D2D wrote:

I think that page is not correct. Per his SCSU hall of fame page he played at SCSU from 77-81. Never played for Kato.
Distinguished Service Award Winner Jeff Passolt played ice hockey for the Huskies from 1977 to 1981. He scored 68 goals and tallied 68 assists during his career. His 136 career points ranks him 11th on the all-time scoring chart at St. Cloud State that includes players from the Division I, Division II, and 10980
Interesting. Still wouldn't have played against the Gophers during that time.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Apr 18 4:38 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:29 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
team22tank wrote:
D2D wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't have played any D3 competition.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by JC65 » Thu Apr 18 5:00 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:38 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:29 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
team22tank wrote:
D2D wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't have played any D3 competition.
They probably didn't play SCSU then, but don't say they wouldn't have played any D3 teams. The Gophers played Northern Arizona in '82 and I doubt they were DI at the time.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 18 6:56 pm

According to Wikipedia the first meeting between the Gophers and St. Cloud took place on October 3rd, 1987, about 6 years after Jeff graduated. The Gophers won that game 6-0.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota ... ice_hockey

This is confirmed by a separate account penned by John Gilbert (remember him?):
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/1/2 ... ota-hockey