Committed Recruits Update Thread

Chat about current and future recruits...
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Committed Recruits Update Thread

Post by Iceburg » Mon Oct 02 9:07 am

max27t wrote:Mr. Iceburg,

Now that this thread is up to 15 pages and the 2005-2006 recruits have had their first official practice, do you think its time to start a new thread for the 07 and 08 recruits?

I suppose it's about time. As long as we're at it, I'd like to throw out a couple of questions/suggestions.
  • Jup, could we get a second page for the recruiting section? Maybe I'm alone on this, but I like to reference some of the threads on occasion and with one page, they can slip off into oblivion before you realize it. Most of the sections have at least two pages of archived threads.
  • I've been debating whether to do the links for committed and potential recruits again. Does anyone actually use them? The Star Tribune has stopped doing their "Sports Huddle" feature which will make high school stats harder to find. They have something called MaxPreps now that looks nice but is very incomplete at this point. Time will tell as to how good of a resource it will be. Comments?

Retired Thread Police

5mn Major
Veteran

Post by 5mn Major » Mon Oct 02 9:58 am

I'd use links. Personally, I like to watch recruits pretty closely...but as there are site management issues, I'm open to whatevers decided.

killer4president
Golden
Golden

Re: Committed Recruits Update Thread for 2006-2007 Season

Post by killer4president » Mon Oct 02 10:02 am

Iceburg wrote:[*]I've been debating whether to do the links for committed and potential recruits again. Does anyone actually use them? The Star Tribune has stopped doing their "Sports Huddle" feature which will make high school stats harder to find. They have something called MaxPreps now that looks nice but is very incomplete at this point. Time will tell as to how good of a resource it will be. Comments?[/list]

I like to look at them, I know its a lot of work so if you dont have the time I think we will all understand. :(

You da man Ice! :thumbup:
Vaneks a killer....Vaneks a mess!

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Mon Oct 02 10:11 am

killer4president wrote:I like to look at them, I know its a lot of work so if you dont have the time I think we will all understand. :(

You da man Ice! :thumbup:

No, I enjoy doing it, and it's really not time consuming at all. I was just curious if anyone actually used them, and I'm a little concerned about finding high school links this year. Along with the "Sports Huddle" not being available, it looks like the very good "Section 7" high school site may not resurface either. If we do go with the "links" thread, could we make it a "sticky" until the end of the season?

Retired Thread Police

champ
Golden
Golden

Post by champ » Mon Oct 02 11:43 am

I have always found the links to be very helpful ...

evegoe
Veteran

HS Sites

Post by evegoe » Mon Oct 02 12:47 pm

max27t
Golden
Golden

Post by max27t » Mon Oct 02 9:27 pm

I appreciate not only all the links and info you dig up, but also your sense of humor. Thanks very much.

Stemic44
Rookie

Post by Stemic44 » Tue Oct 03 12:48 am

your recruiting stuff is the main reason i come to the site, you give some great information, thanks.

evegoe
Veteran

Post by evegoe » Tue Oct 03 8:40 am

From Star Tribune

Though Johnson has not said he will play only one season with the Gophers, it is all but assured. He picked his classes for the fall semester without concern for graduation requirements. Following his dad's advice, he is carrying as light a course load as possible.

When it was suggested his "hockey-first" approach probably will rub some people the wrong way, Johnson said he isn't concerned.

With a verbal shrug of the shoulders he said, "I'm here to play hockey."

It'll be fun to watch EJ this season anyway, and if Lucia will let him and Goli play 30 minutes a night, but are there going to be any players added besides:

Mike Hoeffel-LW-USNDPT U-18 Team
Cade Fairchild-LD-USNDPT U-18 Team
Kevin Wehrs-LD-Cedar Rapids (USHL)
Alex Kangas-G-Indiana (USHL)
Patrick White-RW-Grand Rapids

Only three players will be graduating Briggs, Hirsch, and Vanelli. Flight Risks are probably EJ, Goligoski, Okposo, Stoa, and Wheeler.

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Tue Oct 03 8:54 am

If they have early departures at forward that go beyond the current replacement numbers for 2007, they would likely just move up a guy like Matson or Larson a year sooner (like they did this year when Kessel went pro and moved Barriball up a year sooner). Of course, this won't stop them from possibly doing more but I don't think forwards for 2007 are as much of a concern at this stage.

Goalie should be well taken care of.

I could see them adding a bit more on defense though
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by george » Tue Oct 03 3:07 pm

Any chance that Wehrs would come in mid-season given the retierment of Nate? With only 7 D, one of whom has played at NAHL for his highest level to date, they seem a little thin.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Tue Oct 03 3:15 pm

I suppose anything is possible but I have my doubts they would do it.

5mn Major
Veteran

Post by 5mn Major » Tue Oct 03 4:12 pm

A quote from INCH:

When the St. Louis Blues made Johnson the first overall pick in last summer’s NHL draft, many wondered whether Johnson would ever don a Minnesota jersey, but he says he’s committed to his dream of being a Gopher for “this year and however long after.”

Taking a light workload could just mean he has no intent to graduate...even so, IMO its extremely unlikely EJ stays a second year.

Fav quote from the Strib article:

"If I had [committed] anywhere else, there would have been no way I would have stayed," Johnson said. "The tradition, the legacy here carries so much weight. I just couldn't say no."

Line up the next recruit!

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Tue Oct 03 4:35 pm

Just for the sake of accuracy, Nick Larson had a goal and an assist in his two Buc Bowl games last weekend. The Pointstreak site showed one of the goals scored by Omaha against Indiana as going to #19 Ryan Raven instead of Larson (#18).

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Tue Oct 03 8:30 pm

george wrote:Any chance that Wehrs would come in mid-season given the retierment of Nate? With only 7 D, one of whom has played at NAHL for his highest level to date, they seem a little thin.

From an ARTICLE in tomorrow's Strib:

Dean Spiros wrote:The loss leaves the Gophers with only one extra defenseman, walk-on freshman Brian Schack. Freshman center Jim O'Brien has played some defense, but he is penciled in as one of the Gophers' top four centers.

If necessary, Lucia said he would consider bringing in another defenseman next semester.

Retired Thread Police

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 34 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Oct 03 8:59 pm

Looks like the 20th overall pick in the NHL draft will be seeing plenty of ice time. Hope he ramps up fast.

Davey J.
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Davey J. » Wed Oct 04 12:06 pm

What a bummer! Nate would have been a lot of fun to watch had he been able to come back.

Good luck with all your future endeavors, Nate!

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Cade Fairchild is back playing

Post by Iceburg » Sun Oct 08 11:35 pm

US 0-1-1-0 -- 2
UM 0-1-1-1 -- 3

First Period
No Scoring
Penalties: US, Fairchild (tripping), 3:36; UM, Mitera (slashing), 7:46; US, Cohen (slashing), 13:05; UM, Cook (slashing), 13:05; UM, Lebler (tripping), 18:08

Second Period
US, Wilson (Sturges, vanRiemsdyk), 10:30
UM, Cogliano (Hensick, Johnson), 18:38 (pp)
Penalties: UM, Kolarik (tripping), 2:01; US, Severyn (high-sticking), 5:45; US, Vargas (hooking), 7:41; US, Cohen (tripping), 11:17; UM, Bailey (charging), 11:17; US, Lavin (high-sticking), 11:32; US, Vaive (roughing), 15:56; UM, Summers (roughing), 15:56; US, Hoeffel (hooking), 16:56; US, Cole (elbowing), 19:55.

Third Period
US, R. Hayes (un.) 9:56
UM, Johnson (Kolarik), 19:24 (pp)
Penalties: UM, Mitera (elbowing), 2: 55; UM, Dest (slashing), 4:52; UM, Johnson (elbowing), 10:50; UM, Bailey (charging), 15:40; US, vanRiemsdyk (tripping), 18:49

Overtime
UM, Hensick (Porter, Turnbull), 4:59
Penalties: No Penalties

Shots
US 11-10-9-4-34
UM 7-13-14-5-39

Goalies
US, Phillips UM, Sauer

Retired Thread Police

maybemaybenot
Veteran

Patrick White

Post by maybemaybenot » Mon Oct 09 10:51 pm

He still has not played in the USHL-- must be HURT!!

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Alex Kangas

Post by Iceburg » Tue Oct 10 6:01 am

Alex Kangas - Indiana
October 9, 2006

Kangas (Rochester, Minn.) picked up where he left off last season, as he held the ice in the game where they were decisively outshot. Kangas made 32 saves in helping the Ice win their home opener, 2-1 over Chicago.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Tue Oct 10 11:33 am

ISS's latest top 30 for next spring's NHL draft. Jim O'Brien at 12, Mike Hoeffel at 20. Wisconsin recruits at 21 and 30. More of a major junior presence and less of a top college recruit group than we've seen in the last couple of years. The only other college recruits are Nick Petrecki (Boston College) at four, and James van Riemsdyk (New Hampshire) at eight.

Retired Thread Police

Six on Birch

Patrick White

Post by Six on Birch » Tue Oct 10 12:53 pm

* The USHL also opens up its regular season tonight with a pair of games before having a pretty full slate of games on Saturday. Nick Larson will make his regular season debut with Omaha tonight while Kevin Wehrs (Cedar Rapids) and Alex Kangas (Indiana Ice) start on Saturday. Look for future Gopher Patrick White to make his USHL debut next weekend.

ugogophers

UND- Malone

Post by ugogophers » Wed Oct 11 8:39 am

I see North Dakota got a commit from Brad Malone- Whioux Falls USHL. He is the cousin of Ryan Malone former SCSU Huskie and now a Penguin.

5mn Major
Veteran

Re: UND- Malone

Post by 5mn Major » Wed Oct 11 12:24 pm

ugogophers wrote:I see North Dakota got a commit from Brad Malone- Whioux Falls USHL. He is the cousin of Ryan Malone former SCSU Huskie and now a Penguin.

Yes, Brad has gotten quite a bit of buzz...including some talk that he was the top American left. But he did not make the ISS top 30 players list.

raindog
Golden
Golden

Post by raindog » Wed Oct 11 1:14 pm

His stock tanked when he showed indications of signing with the Sue. :mrgreen:

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

From the Hockey's Future site

Post by Iceburg » Tue Oct 17 1:44 am

"Early look at 2007 USNTDP prospects"

Mike Hoeffel, C

Birthdate: 4/09/89

The left-shooting native of North Oaks, Minnesota, is committed to play for his home state Minnesota Gophers. At 6’3, 183 pounds, Hoeffel has good size for a center and solid skills to go along with that size. He played high school hockey last season before moving on to the USNTDP this year.

Rolston comments: “Mike has good speed, good size and is a great kid. He has the skill level to compete at the higher levels of the game. He’s still adapting to the change from playing high school players last season to college players this season.”

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Thu Oct 19 1:11 pm

The latest installment of "Red Line Report". Woodlief rates Mike Hoeffel fifth for the next NHL draft, also mentions Nick Larson and former Viking Carl Eller's son Lars.

Image :sieve:

Retired Thread Police

5mn Major
Veteran

Post by 5mn Major » Thu Oct 19 4:00 pm

That's a darn good rating for Hoeffel. Personally, I'd put him lower in say the middle of the first...and put OBrien in the top ten instead. But that's me and it's still early.

Lars Eller, Danish son of this Eller?

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/membe ... AYER_ID=63

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Thu Oct 19 11:29 pm

Hoeffel with a goal and Fairchild with two assists as the USA 18s beat Michigan State by 5-4 score.

MAP
Veteran

Iceberg mentioned

Post by MAP » Fri Oct 20 10:36 am

"Former Viking Carl Eller's son Lars" in the Red Line report. :wink: Has Carl been spending time in Denmark? :lol: :wink:

Does Lars have an inclination toward book larnin'? :wink: I know a fine academic institution with a lot of Scandanavian connections...
When you say Wisconsin, you've lost it all!

Better Dead than Red!

Gophers GOOOOOOOD, BAAAAAAAdgers
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!

:ahhh: Member of Fan Club since 9-15-10

stelly18
Veteran

Post by stelly18 » Fri Oct 20 11:41 am

Alex Kangas was USHL goalie of the week for October 9.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Oct 20 11:47 am

Looks like if anyone's interested they can get a look at some future Gophers tonight and tomorrow on your computer. The Mahoning Valley team in the NAHL will be playing the NTDP U-17 team (Jordan Schroeder and Sam Lofquist) tonight and the U-18 team (Cade Fairchild and Mike Hoeffel) tomorrow night. Both games are at 6:00pm. The games will be broadcast on the Mahoning Valley site.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Oct 20 1:20 pm

Hammy wrote:Hoeffel with a goal and Fairchild with two assists as the USA 18s beat Michigan State by 5-4 score.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Oct 20 6:54 pm

Iceburg wrote:Looks like if anyone's interested they can get a look at some future Gophers tonight and tomorrow on your computer. The Mahoning Valley team in the NAHL will be playing the NTDP U-17 team (Jordan Schroeder and Sam Lofquist) tonight and the U-18 team (Cade Fairchild and Mike Hoeffel) tomorrow night. Both games are at 6:00pm. The games will be broadcast on the Mahoning Valley site.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
It's audio only

Retired Thread Police

Gopher Maniac
Golden
Golden

Sachetti has verbally committed

Post by Gopher Maniac » Sat Oct 21 7:27 am

•The Gophers have received a verbal commitment from Nico Sacchetti, a junior at Virginia (Minn.) High School, for the 2008-09 season.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/757190.html
Go Gophers!

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sat Oct 28 3:00 pm

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

During commercials of the Gopher game

Post by Iceburg » Sat Oct 28 8:03 pm

Video of NTDP U-18 vs. Clarkson

http://www.clarksonathletics.com//Sport ... EAMING.asp

Just about ready to start the third period

Retired Thread Police

Larsen
Rookie

Grant Scott

Post by Larsen » Thu Nov 02 9:43 am

Looks like we are getting a decent sized defensemen for 08-09... Grant Scott (from PA!!). Anyone know anything about him? I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere else.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/782227.html

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Re: Grant Scott

Post by Iceburg » Thu Nov 02 9:50 am

Larsen wrote:Looks like we are getting a decent sized defensemen for 08-09... Grant Scott (from PA!!). Anyone know anything about him? I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere else.

Quite a bit of information on Hammy"s blog, also was discussed a bit on the "Recruiting Links" thread. Both he and Sam Lofquist scored last night in a losing effort. (LINK)
Last edited by Iceburg on Thu Nov 02 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Retired Thread Police

Larsen
Rookie

Re: Grant Scott

Post by Larsen » Thu Nov 02 9:53 am

Iceburg wrote:
Larsen wrote:Looks like we are getting a decent sized defensemen for 08-09... Grant Scott (from PA!!). Anyone know anything about him? I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere else.

Quite a bit of information on Hammy"s blog, also was discussed a bit on the "Recruting Links" thread.

It figures I would miss that. Sorry.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

From the Pioneer Press

Post by Iceburg » Fri Nov 03 5:55 am

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Mon Nov 06 9:54 am

This article is in the current Image Can't find it online for a link.

Defensive play key for Wehrs
By Brian Lavelle

Defenseman Kevin Wehrs was not an avid follower of the United States Hockey League before being drafted by the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders in the third round of the August, 2005 USHL Futures Draft.

Upon being selected by the Riders, Wehrs, then skating for Wayzata high school, soon acquainted himself with the league’s sterling track record for developing players who go on to thrive in college and professional hockey. He quickly reached the conclusion that playing for the RoughRiders was an opportunity he could not afford to pass up.

“The decision to leave home was hard to make, but it was a decision I had to make,” said Wehrs. “In high school, with the short schedule, it would have been tough to improve that much. I know I had to come here to do what I needed to do to get ready for the future.”

Wehrs’ future is certainly a bright one. He has already committed to the University of Minnesota, where he will begin his college career next season. Wehrs has had the chance to make great strides before joining the Golden Gophers.

“I’ve really improved my overall game since I’ve been here. I’ve learned to make decisions faster and I’ve also been able to get bigger and stronger,” said Wehrs. “I’ve played with a lot of good players and received a lot of good coaching.

RoughRiders coach/GM Mark Carlson has been impressed with the improvements Wehrs has made during his time with the team. “Kevin has worked very hard since he got here,” Carlson said. “We’re pleased with the way he’s been able to step up and take on more responsibility this season and we’re looking for him to continue to do that this year.”

One area upon which Wehrs has focused this season is his play in his own zone. “This year I really want to improve defensively,” said Wehrs. “I’m an offensive-minded defenseman but I also take pride in playing well defensively.”

For all he has picked up on the ice, Wehrs learning experience in Cedar Rapids has carried over outside the rink as well. “I’ve grown up a little since I’ve been here,” said Wehrs. “Living away from home I’ve learned to deal with things on my own. Like if I might not have made the lineup for a game, you have to learn how to deal with it and how to make the best of it.”

One of the payoffs for all Wehrs’ sweat and toil with the RoughRiders will come when he suits up for the Gophers for the first time next season. “I know I need to work hard this year to be ready for next year,” Wehrs said. “I want to be even more ready than an average freshman going into college hockey.”

“Playing there has been my dream since I was little,” said Wehrs. “So obviously I’m pretty excited about it.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both of the NTDP teams are in international tournaments this week. The U-18 team goes to Kalix and Piteå , Sweden (LINK) and the U-17 team stays home in Ann Arbor (LINK)
Last edited by Iceburg on Wed Nov 08 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Tue Nov 07 2:03 pm

November draft rankings from ISS. No recruits listed (Mike Hoeffel drops out of the top 30) so the only reason I'm putting it in this thread is because the other draft stuff has been going here. Jim O'Brien is rated 17th.

Retired Thread Police

maybemaybenot
Veteran

Kevin White????

Post by maybemaybenot » Thu Nov 09 9:56 pm

Six Gophers recruits signed letters of intent on Thursday: defenseman Cade Fairchild (Duluth), goaltender Alex Kangas (Rochester) and forwards Mike Hoeffel (North Oaks), Kevin White (Grand Rapids), Taylor Matson (Mound) and Nick Larson (Stillwater).

maybemaybenot
Veteran

oops star and trib

Post by maybemaybenot » Thu Nov 09 9:57 pm

Six Gophers recruits signed letters of intent on Thursday: defenseman Cade Fairchild (Duluth), goaltender Alex Kangas (Rochester) and forwards Mike Hoeffel (North Oaks), Kevin White (Grand Rapids), Taylor Matson (Mound) and Nick Larson (Stillwater).

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

From the Pioneer Press

Post by Iceburg » Fri Nov 10 6:02 am

"Gophers sign six to letters of intent"

Bruce Brothers wrote:The only "for sure" forward Lucia is counting on for the 2007-08 season, he said, is Mike Hoeffel, a 6-foot-2, 190-pounder from North Oaks playing for the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., this season. The status of the three other forwards who have signed will depend on "how their year goes and what our roster looks like in August," Lucia added. "We have to make sure we protect ourselves in recruiting"........................

.............................."The goalie is definitely coming in, and the defensemen are coming in," Lucia said, "and we're still looking for some more defensemen."

Retired Thread Police

The White Rat
Rookie

Re: From the Pioneer Press

Post by The White Rat » Fri Nov 10 10:36 am

Bruce Brothers wrote:The only "for sure" forward Lucia is counting on for the 2007-08 season, he said, is Mike Hoeffel, a 6-foot-2, 190-pounder from North Oaks playing for the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., this season. The status of the three other forwards who have signed will depend on "how their year goes and what our roster looks like in August," Lucia added. "We have to make sure we protect ourselves in recruiting"........................

.............................."The goalie is definitely coming in, and the defensemen are coming in," Lucia said, "and we're still looking for some more defensemen."
[/quote]

If we have to protect ourselves in recruiting - - would it be right to still go after a quality forwar/center such as Brett Bruneteau for next year ?

I ask this believing that we may lose more than just Hirsch to graduation. Obviously, according to Lucia, Hoeffel will replace Hirsch. If we lose Okposo, Wheeler and Stoa early (I know it is a big if) - - - And if (another big IF) either White, Mattson, or Larson truly need another year of seasoning in the USHL prior to coming here - - then we need another forward or two for next year ???.

If as Lucia says "we have to protect ourselves in recruiting", is it possible we may be trying to recruit another forward for next year ? If so, who are the possibilities other than Bruneteau or Joey Miller ?

Hammy
Veteran

Re: From the Pioneer Press

Post by Hammy » Fri Nov 10 10:40 am

The White Rat wrote:If we have to protect ourselves in recruiting - - would it be right to still go after a quality forwar/center such as Brett Bruneteau for next year ?

I ask this believing that we may lose more than just Hirsch to graduation. Obviously, according to Lucia, Hoeffel will replace Hirsch. If we lose Okposo, Wheeler and Stoa early (I know it is a big if) - - - And if (another big IF) either White, Mattson, or Larson truly need another year of seasoning in the USHL prior to coming here - - then we need another forward or two for next year ???.

If as Lucia says "we have to protect ourselves in recruiting", is it possible we may be trying to recruit another forward for next year ? If so, who are the possibilities other than Bruneteau or Joey Miller ?

He'll just bring in one of the three forwards besides Hoeffel if it is necessary. I think they are very likely about done recruiting forwards for 2007. It appears as if it is all about focusing on adding a defenseman or two to wrap up the class.

The White Rat
Rookie

Post by The White Rat » Fri Nov 10 11:30 am

If we lose some players early next year to the pros therefore we need to bring in some guys early - - - and with several seniors next year - it is looking like we will need a pretty large recruiting class for 2008 both defensively and offensively.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Mon Nov 13 12:57 am

From the Shady Side Academy SITE:
Former Shady Side Academy Defensemen Grant Scott now playing with the U.S. National Developement Program Under-17 Team has committed to the University of Minnesota for the fall of ’08. This marks the third Boys Prep player in five years that will move on to play at the D1 College level. Tannner Fogarty with Holy Cross :shock: and Karac Davis with Robert Morris University.

From the site's archives: "SSA Sophmore Selected For USA Hockey National Team Development Program"

Retired Thread Police

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 13 8:57 am

Shady Side Academy? Why does that name invoke images of some mythical evil school in a Mighty Ducks movie or something? Do they wear all black too?

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Updated Central Scouting "players to watch" list

Post by Iceburg » Thu Nov 16 1:09 am

Retired Thread Police

gopher_fan_in_sue_land
Veteran

Re: Updated Central Scouting "players to watch" list

Post by gopher_fan_in_sue_land » Thu Nov 16 8:57 am

Iceburg wrote:Image :sieve:

Who is this Brandon Martell from Elk River they have listed as a Minnesota recruit?? Did I miss something?

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Thu Nov 16 9:26 am

gopher_fan_in_sue_land wrote:

Who is this Brandon Martell from Elk River they have listed as a Minnesota recruit?? Did I miss something?

There is a little discussion on him in the "Recruiting Links" thread. There's also a link there to a Star Tribune article on him.

Retired Thread Police

Six Hole
Veteran

Post by Six Hole » Thu Nov 16 9:40 am

Iceburg wrote:
gopher_fan_in_sue_land wrote:

There is a little discussion on him in the "Recruiting Links" thread. There's also a link there to a Star Tribune article on him.

Here's another one from the Elk River paper:
http://www.erstarnews.com/2006/November/1411-14martell.html

In addition, Elks coach Tony Sarsland told the Star News, the Gophers recently learned that one of their four recruits for next year had a career-ending injury. That made them step up their efforts to get Martell, especially after hearing that St. Cloud coach Bob Motzko had visited him.

I assume he's referring to Hagemo and is just uninformed (completely likely as this reporter is a hack).

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Schedules for recruits playing high school hockey this year

Post by Iceburg » Tue Nov 21 9:07 am

Holy Angels (Taylor Matson)
Hill-Murray (Nick Larson)
Virginia (Nico Sacchetti)
Grand Rapids (Patrick White)
Elk River (Brandon Martell)

Full Grand Rapids Schedule:
Tues. Nov. 28 Cloquet Away 7:30
Fri. Dec. 1 Forest Lake Away
Tues. Dec. 5 Virginia Home 7:30
Fri. Dec. 8 Greenway Home 7:30
Tues. Dec. 12 Brainerd Home 7:30
Fri. Dec. 15 Moorhead Away 7:30
Dec. 20, 21, 22 Edina Classic Away
Dec. 20 vs. Edina 8:30
Dec. 21 vs. Eden P. 8:30
Dec. 22 vs. Elk R. 6:00
Dec. 27, 28, 29 Hibbing Tournament
Sat. Jan. 6 Bloomington Jeff. Away 2:30
Tues. Jan. 9 International Falls Away 7:30
Th. Jan. 11 Duluth East Away 8:00
Sat. Jan. 13 Cloquet Home 4:30
Fri. Jan. 19 Hibbing Home 7:30
Tues. Jan. 23 Bemidji Home 7:30
F. Jan. 26 Greenway Away 7:30
Th. Feb. 1 Eveleth-Gilbert Home 7:30
T. Feb. 6 Hibbing Away 7:30
Fri. Feb. 9 International Falls Home 7:30
Sat. Feb. 10 Duluth Marshall Home 3:00
Tues. Feb. 13 Duluth Denfeld Home 7:30
Fri. Feb. 16 Roseau Home 7:30

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Schedules for recruits playing high school hockey this year

Post by Iceburg » Wed Nov 22 2:00 am

For those that missed it on the other thread

Dean Spiros wrote:• The Gophers have received a verbal commitment from White Bear Lake junior forward Jake Hanson for the 2008-09 season.

White Bear Lake (Jake Hansen)
Holy Angels (Taylor Matson)
Hill-Murray (Nick Larson)
Virginia (Nico Sacchetti)
Grand Rapids (Patrick White)
Elk River (Brandon Martell)

Full Grand Rapids Schedule:
Tues. Nov. 28 Cloquet Away 7:30
Fri. Dec. 1 Forest Lake Away
Tues. Dec. 5 Virginia Home 7:30
Fri. Dec. 8 Greenway Home 7:30
Tues. Dec. 12 Brainerd Home 7:30
Fri. Dec. 15 Moorhead Away 7:30
Dec. 20, 21, 22 Edina Classic Away
Dec. 20 vs. Edina 8:30
Dec. 21 vs. Eden P. 8:30
Dec. 22 vs. Elk R. 6:00
Dec. 27, 28, 29 Hibbing Tournament
Sat. Jan. 6 Bloomington Jeff. Away 2:30
Tues. Jan. 9 International Falls Away 7:30
Th. Jan. 11 Duluth East Away 8:00
Sat. Jan. 13 Cloquet Home 4:30
Fri. Jan. 19 Hibbing Home 7:30
Tues. Jan. 23 Bemidji Home 7:30
F. Jan. 26 Greenway Away 7:30
Th. Feb. 1 Eveleth-Gilbert Home 7:30
T. Feb. 6 Hibbing Away 7:30
Fri. Feb. 9 International Falls Home 7:30
Sat. Feb. 10 Duluth Marshall Home 3:00
Tues. Feb. 13 Duluth Denfeld Home 7:30
Fri. Feb. 16 Roseau Home 7:30

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Wed Nov 22 4:47 pm

Newest "Red Line Report" is out (LINK). Nothing too exciting concerning college hockey. Very brief mention of Patrick White and Nick Larson.

Retired Thread Police

Six on Birch

Redline Report

Post by Six on Birch » Wed Nov 22 10:45 pm

Any idea where they have the goph recruits in their list?

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sat Nov 25 11:10 am

This article is in the current Image Can't find it online for a link.

State trip fresh in White's mind
By Jon Garver

Minnesota’s Iron Range is historically known as mining territory for two things. Below the surface lies a cache of iron ore, the income source for a majority of area residents. Above the surface, the region known nationally as the home of Bob Dylan has produced it’s share of high school hockey talent. On the western edge of “the Range” lies a rich northern Minnesota hockey reservoir -- Grand Rapids.

But just as the mining industry has declined, so has production of the area’s big-ticket hockey players. Perhaps no program paralleled the slowing economy more than Grand Rapids. The city that produced Olympic gold medalist Bill Baker and Hobey Baker winner Chris Marinucci has seen fewer players advancing to higher levels. The program that once made eight straight trips to the state tournament had been exiled for 15 years -- until last season. The main reason for the resurgence -- forward Patrick White. Arguably the best high school hockey player in the state, the future Golden Gopher led the Thunderhawks to their first state tournament appearance since 1991, when GRHS athletes were called the Indians.

“Growing up, I went to all the high school hockey games and I looked forward to playing high school hockey. To do it and go to state was amazing. It meant so much to everyone, especially the alumni, that we got back to state. It’s special that we’ll be remembered as a Grand Rapids team that did well,” said White, who had five goals and one assist in three games during the Thunderhawk’s run which resulted in a runner-up finish and earned White all-tournament honors.

But as good as White was a year ago, he knew that seasoning at a higher level was needed.

“Scouts were saying (go to) either the USA Hockey Development Program or the USHL,” White said. “It was a tough decision for me, but I didn’t want to give up a year of high school hockey. I love hockey, but I love my family and my high school more so leaving Grand Rapids wasn’t an option.”

Luckily for White, there’s the alternative of being a “before and after” player in the USHL, meaning he can enjoy the benefits of junior hockey before and after his high school season without sacrificing any games with the Thunderhawks.

“This is the best possible option for me, although the travel gets a little tough and I would like to be with my team more,” said White, who goes to school at home during the week and flies to Kearney, Nebraska on the weekends. “But it has been a great experience. I look forward to every weekend when I get to play in the USHL and wouldn’t trade this for anything.”

The “before” portion of the season has passed, and White proved he belongs at the next level, scoring five goals in eight games with the Storm. Still, the allure of another trip to the state tournament is just too tempting to keep him in the USHL for a full season.

“To me, it’s not worth it to give up a whole high school season and a chance to play in the state tournament,” White said. “I’ll put off college and play a full year of junior next year if I have to.”

With the way the early season has gone, odds are White won’t need to defer his college career, and the University of Minnesota will be the beneficiary of Grand Rapids’ latest hockey gem, in 2007.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sun Nov 26 8:40 pm

Retired Thread Police

dagies
Veteran

Post by dagies » Mon Nov 27 9:38 am

I have a lot of respect for White deciding to stay in school that last year. It's great to see kids make that decision.

5mn Major
Veteran

Post by 5mn Major » Mon Nov 27 9:54 am

dagies wrote:I have a lot of respect for White deciding to stay in school that last year. It's great to see kids make that decision.

Does he give up some personal development? There is a possibility...but its the type of publicity that helps keep MN high school hockey and therefore, development in the state strong. Its also nice for Pat...as I'm sure he'd rather live in Grand Rapids for another year than Kearney, Nebraska.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

From the Strib

Post by Iceburg » Wed Nov 29 9:27 pm

Seth Helgeson, a sophomore defenseman on the Faribault High School hockey team, has made a verbal commitment to play for the Gophers

I told some of you guys :wave: :mrgreen:

Retired Thread Police

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Wed Nov 29 10:32 pm

Good call Ice. :drunk:

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 34 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Nov 29 10:59 pm

dagies wrote:I have a lot of respect for White deciding to stay in school that last year. It's great to see kids make that decision.

Fischer made the same choice and know that he and his parents do not regret it one bit.

faribogopherguy
Veteran

Post by faribogopherguy » Wed Nov 29 11:01 pm

I heard the Helgeson story down at the Faribault game last night. Just didn't know if it had any legs to it. I may know how it got to Spiros. From what I've seen of him, he is a good skater, puckhandler and has size and a bit of snarl to his game. He still has a lot to learn in his 2+ remaining years of HS eligibility. I wonder if he'll go the USHL as a Senior to get some seasoning.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Wed Nov 29 11:12 pm

faribogopherguy wrote:I wonder if he'll go the USHL as a Senior to get some seasoning.

Whioux City drafted him pretty high in the Future's Draft this fall so they must feel pretty good about his chances of playing down there in the next few years.

faribogopherguy
Veteran

Post by faribogopherguy » Wed Nov 29 11:28 pm

The first time Helgeson caught my eye was at the "All Star Game" during the Southern Minnesota Express tryout camp. He looked good amongst players a few years up on him in age. Money from umdpenaltybox.com was watching this with me and made a similar observation. Though I'm sure he'd rather have him donning Bulldog maroon and gold.

OmahaGphr
Rookie

Post by OmahaGphr » Thu Nov 30 5:05 am

This means nothing, but it's 5am and I'm bored off my butt at work and noticed two of the '08 recruits have the same B-day... Jake Hansen and Nico Sacchetti were both born on August 21, 1989... okay, back to the solitaire
Nebraska: Sioux-free since 1890 :wave:

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Nov 30 7:13 am

Being new to the GPL world this may have been discussed previously so I apologize if it has.

Is it just me or have the last two years had more high school sophomore commitments than usual. It seems like kids are committing early than ever. Also, do these early recruits end up keeping their commitment to their original college or have they switched a lot. I know Peter Mueller committed early but ended up changing his mind and going to Canadian Juniors.

dlw4gophers
Golden
Golden

early commit

Post by dlw4gophers » Thu Nov 30 8:45 am

I don't follow alot of recruiting outside of Minnesota, but there have not been many changes from the early commitments. Hagemo commited to the evil red empire, but then came out of his comma to change to Minnesota. ND had Beaverson (I think that was his name) commit early and then ND deceided he wasn't good enough for their program and they pulled the scholly. I am sure there are a few more out there.
National Champion's:::::::::::
1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WCHA Champion's:::::::::::::::
1953, 1954, 1970, 1975, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1995, 1997, 2006, 2007, 2012 & 2013.

Big Ten Champions::::::::::::::
2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Maize » Thu Nov 30 9:41 pm

Seth Helgeson scored 5 goals tonight against Mankato East. All five came from shots from the point.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Dec 01 8:56 am

Maize wrote:Seth Helgeson scored 5 goals tonight against Mankato East. All five came from shots from the point.

"Cougars hockey team loses to Faribault"

Retired Thread Police