Potential Future Recruits - Part II

Chat about current and future recruits...
upnorthkid
Rookie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Potential Future Recruits - Part II

Post by upnorthkid » Fri Mar 29 11:32 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Mar 29 11:06 pm
Yet to see a legit source on accelerating school.
Do most kids announce it if it’s not a sure thing?

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Mar 29 11:58 pm

Feisty Golden Rodents wrote:
Fri Mar 29 11:05 pm
Brink thoughts
(opinion based on rumors and facts)
Committed to DU during Lucia regime.
- Accelerating school.
- It was said that some commitments will be held close to Motzko's chest.
Another post indicated a collection of these thoughts. After Bob took over, Brink became interested and was going to accelerate school and come to gophers in fall.

So if rumors are true. I think commitment would not come until completion of ushl season. More likely it would not be till spring high school classes are done and summer classes are set. At that point it's clear and more visual path to see this to fruition. I dont see the necessity for accelerating school to join Winterhawks. I think its safe to say by some of the posturing something is going on.
Look, anything can happen with Bobby Brink...but no one has come up with a credible, logical reason (or credible
insider knowledge)...exactly why he’d ditch Denver (as an A list rated NHL recruit). For one thing, they play their home games on an NHL size rink and just advanced to the last 8 schools in the NCAA tournament. If his goal is to play one or two years, then jump to an NHL roster, if he hasn’t flipped to the Gophers after 12 months of tBob being the Gopher coach, what would be his motivation to flip this summer?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Mar 30 6:26 am

And even if rumors are true about accelerating, why couldn’t he accelerate school to play at DU?

GopherPuck316
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by GopherPuck316 » Sat Mar 30 7:47 am

Let’s just assume Brink is going to DU and if he ends up coming here it’s icing on the cake of a strong recruiting class. The only speculation that I’d add is Bob said the team will be getting younger before getting older, and a kid accelerating HS (could be referring to Johnson too) would definitely fall in line with a team getting younger this upcoming year. But he could also just be referring to the fact we had a large group of seniors graduate from the 18-19 team so out with the 23 year olds and in with the 19 year olds.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 209 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Mar 30 8:41 am

Too bad Glen Sonmor isn't still alive so he and Lou Nanne could drive down to Whioux City and try to flip Brink like they tried to do with Parise when he was at Shattuck. That would be easier than all this speculation. :D

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Mar 30 8:41 am

Motzko doesn’t seem like the type of guy who’s going to play games and hint at bringing someone in early by saying “we are going to get younger before we get older.”

The guy has half of his team leaving this year so it obvious the average age of the team is going to get younger. He doesn’t like it but It’s part of the mess he has to clean up.

There are no line to read between on this.

And if Brink is seen wearing a yellow shirt this summer it doesn’t mean he's decommiting from DU.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Norm » Sat Mar 30 9:27 am

It's a crazy sport. Teams are trying to get older and HS kids are accelerating.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Mar 30 9:41 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Mar 29 11:58 pm
Feisty Golden Rodents wrote:
Fri Mar 29 11:05 pm
Brink thoughts
(opinion based on rumors and facts)
Committed to DU during Lucia regime.
- Accelerating school.
- It was said that some commitments will be held close to Motzko's chest.
Another post indicated a collection of these thoughts. After Bob took over, Brink became interested and was going to accelerate school and come to gophers in fall.

So if rumors are true. I think commitment would not come until completion of ushl season. More likely it would not be till spring high school classes are done and summer classes are set. At that point it's clear and more visual path to see this to fruition. I dont see the necessity for accelerating school to join Winterhawks. I think its safe to say by some of the posturing something is going on.
Look, anything can happen with Bobby Brink...but no one has come up with a credible, logical reason (or credible
insider knowledge)...exactly why he’d ditch Denver (as an A list rated NHL recruit). For one thing, they play their home games on an NHL size rink and just advanced to the last 8 schools in the NCAA tournament. If his goal is to play one or two years, then jump to an NHL roster, if he hasn’t flipped to the Gophers after 12 months of tBob being the Gopher coach, what would be his motivation to flip this summer?
I don't think he's coming to UM (I have actual ties to Tonka hockey) but none of them have anything to do with your wishful thinking argumentation. Time to retire the bit.
Currently under construction.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 10 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Mar 30 9:45 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Mar 30 8:41 am
Motzko doesn’t seem like the type of guy who’s going to play games and hint at bringing someone in early by saying “we are going to get younger before we get older.”

The guy has half of his team leaving this year so it obvious the average age of the team is going to get younger. He doesn’t like it but It’s part of the mess he has to clean up.

And if Brink is seen wearing a yellow shirt this summer it doesn’t mean he's decommiting from DU.
I wouldn’t say having a large senior class is a “mess he has to clean up.” These things happen a lot. We all know what tUMD did with there mess in 2017-18, so just because it’s seemingly a rebuilding year, it doesn’t mean the gophers are out of contention; at the very least for a Big Ten Championship.

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Goldy77 » Sat Mar 30 9:49 am

:ahhh: Who the F cares. If he comes great, if not, so be it.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Mar 30 9:55 am

Goldy77 wrote:
Sat Mar 30 9:49 am
Exactly. The gophers have a few strong recruiting classes built up down the line. Brink would be a great add to help us win a title for maybe two years, but we’re not destroyed if we don’t get him. We’re in good shape with or without Brink.

GopherPuck316
Rookie

Post by GopherPuck316 » Sat Mar 30 10:55 am

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Sat Mar 30 9:55 am
Goldy77 wrote:
Sat Mar 30 9:49 am
Exactly. The gophers have a few strong recruiting classes built up down the line. Brink would be a great add to help us win a title for maybe two years, but we’re not destroyed if we don’t get him. We’re in good shape with or without Brink.
Your last sentence nailed it. Our HS recruits tore it up and the USHL guys are playing very well. I love the way our recruiting classes are looking now.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Mar 30 3:57 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Sat Mar 30 9:45 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Mar 30 8:41 am

I wouldn’t say having a large senior class is a “mess he has to clean up.” These things happen a lot. We all know what tUMD did with there mess in 2017-18, so just because it’s seemingly a rebuilding year, it doesn’t mean the gophers are out of contention; at the very least for a Big Ten Championship.
I think it was Motzko himself who referred to it as a mess.

Davey J.
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Davey J. » Sun Mar 31 9:51 am

If you don't care where Bobby Brink plays his college hockey, you don't care about the Gophers! Will the Gophers be OK without him, for sure. Would they be better with him...darn right they would...and THAT'S why you should care where he plays his college hockey! You should care about where all players go who could make the team better.

Gopherr16
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Gopherr16 » Sun Mar 31 9:57 am

Davey J. wrote:
Sun Mar 31 9:51 am
If you don't care where Bobby Brink plays his college hockey, you don't care about the Gophers! Will the Gophers be OK without him, for sure. Would they be better with him...darn right they would...and THAT'S why you should care where he plays his college hockey! You should care about where all players go who could make the team better.
I think what everyone is trying to say is it doesn’t do any good to discuss it everyday for 1 year plus. If he comes great, it will make us better. If he doesn’t, we are looking to be in great shape even without him. The topic is getting old though. I assume he is going to DU because that seems to be most likely based on info available. Until something happens to change that, no need to drool over the kid.

GopherPuck316
Rookie

Post by GopherPuck316 » Sun Mar 31 10:02 am

Davey J. wrote:
There’s no sense dwelling on something that’s out of our (as fans) control. I imagine every hardcore Gophers fan would love to have Bobby Brink on the team for however many years he plays college hockey. But none of us have any say in whether or not that happens. I like his game and I’ll respect whatever decision he makes on his hockey path. I’m just not going to lose sleep over it either way. As of right now he’s committed to DU and until that changes (if it does) I’m not going to worry about it.

One side note - if his last name wasn’t Brink would there be as much of a fuss on here about him potentially flipping to the Gophers? Or would he just be another good local player who committed to a different school?

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 31 10:03 am

I would be surprised if the kid ever plays college hockey

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Sun Mar 31 10:06 am

The reality is really good players go elsewhere... and it doesn’t necessarily mean anything. If the Gophers can win a national title with Parise at UND, I think we’ll survive whatever Brink does
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Mar 31 1:44 pm

There is more noise with Brink than other guys in the past. Whether that’s just from optimistic Gopher fans or from Brink actually considering a flip is anyone’s guess. If I were putting money on it, I think he’s at DU this fall.

Michaud is getting a lot of interest from NCHC schools. UND and Western are after him, I imagine the favorite to land him would be UMD.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sun Mar 31 1:48 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Mar 31 1:44 pm
There is more noise with Brink than other guys in the past. Whether that’s just from optimistic Gopher fans or from Brink actually considering a flip is anyone’s guess. If I were putting money on it, I think he’s at DU this fall.

Michaud is getting a lot of interest from NCHC schools. UND and Western are after him, I imagine the favorite to land him would be UMD.
I thought the gophs were on him. Would be a nice add.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Mar 31 3:23 pm

Would make sense, no idea if coaches are talking to him, or if we are an option for him.

upnorthkid
Rookie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by upnorthkid » Sun Mar 31 4:02 pm

GopherPuck316 wrote:
Sun Mar 31 10:02 am
Davey J. wrote:
There’s no sense dwelling on something that’s out of our (as fans) control. I imagine every hardcore Gophers fan would love to have Bobby Brink on the team for however many years he plays college hockey. But none of us have any say in whether or not that happens. I like his game and I’ll respect whatever decision he makes on his hockey path. I’m just not going to lose sleep over it either way. As of right now he’s committed to DU and until that changes (if it does) I’m not going to worry about it.

One side note - if his last name wasn’t Brink would there be as much of a fuss on here about him potentially flipping to the Gophers? Or would he just be another good local player who committed to a different school?
Using don’t pay attention to things we have no control over on this thread or GPL in general is pretty funny

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Mar 31 6:03 pm

He has had a crazy year, 33 goals in 40 games. Makes no sense to go back to USHL. I hope he doesn’t go to Canada. Want to see him in college.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sun Mar 31 6:07 pm

While this conversation was going on, Brink scored his 31st, 32nd and 33rd goals of the year in one period. Continue.

gmh
Rookie

Post by gmh » Mon Apr 01 8:13 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Mar 31 6:03 pm
He has had a crazy year, 33 goals in 40 games. Makes no sense to go back to USHL. I hope he doesn’t go to Canada. Want to see him in college.
Portland is in Oregon, which is one of the United States.

RatherBeGolfing
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RatherBeGolfing » Mon Apr 01 8:22 am

GopherPuck316 wrote:
Davey J. wrote:

*Goes into a recruiting thread then shocked that people are talking about recruiting*

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Mon Apr 01 8:34 am

gmh wrote:
Mon Apr 01 8:13 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Mar 31 6:03 pm
Portland is in Oregon, which is one of the United States.
And plays in the Canadian Hockey League

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Mon Apr 01 10:29 am

These boards wouldn't exist if it wasn't for insane fans like us debating things we have no control over. Heck, it's part of what makes sites like this fun!

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 01 10:45 am

RatherBeGolfing wrote:
Mon Apr 01 8:22 am
GopherPuck316 wrote:
Davey J. wrote:

*Goes into a recruiting thread then shocked that people are talking about recruiting*
It's a little bit different when people are speculating on a guy maaaaaaaybe flipping despite there being absolutely nothing tangible to the rumor that I've seen.

What exactly is the logic to Brink flipping? He's from the area and we had a coaching change (as did Denver)? That's basically it right? And one person said they might've heard something but never really expounded on how credible it was?
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times

Post by george » Mon Apr 01 10:48 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Apr 01 10:45 am
RatherBeGolfing wrote:
Mon Apr 01 8:22 am
GopherPuck316 wrote:
Davey J. wrote:

It's a little bit different when people are speculating on a guy maaaaaaaybe flipping despite there being absolutely nothing tangible to the rumor that I've seen.

What exactly is the logic to Brink flipping? He's from the area and we had a coaching change (as did Denver)? That's basically it right? And one person said they might've heard something but never really expounded on how credible it was?
And he's a legacy as his dad played here.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 01 10:50 am

george wrote:
Mon Apr 01 10:48 am
Ok that's something, probably not enough for me to expect him to flip but I didn't know that.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Mon Apr 01 10:52 am

Davey J. wrote:
Mon Apr 01 10:29 am
These boards wouldn't exist if it wasn't for insane fans like us debating things we have no control over. Heck, it's part of what makes sites like this fun!
Exactly!

Greyeagle
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 447 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Apr 01 11:24 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Apr 01 10:50 am
george wrote:
Ok that's something, probably not enough for me to expect him to flip but I didn't know that.
His dad was a two sport athlete at MN, golf and hockey.
I'm a sure I have part of this wrong (and hopefully someone can correct me or add to the lore) but I believe Andy originally came to MN only for golf. Due to injuries there was a shortage of defensemen & Andy happened to be wearing Bugle Boys :lol: so Wooger pulled him in from the bullpen. Plus Andy was an outstanding HS player who happened to chose golf over hockey so he ended up being able to play both.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

GopherPuck316
Rookie

Post by GopherPuck316 » Mon Apr 01 11:42 am

trixR4kids wrote:
george wrote:
I think this is a big part of why people think he could flip. Another big factor is the coaching changes at both DU and the U since he committed, although it’s been said that Carle has a strong relationship with Brink.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times

Post by george » Mon Apr 01 12:39 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Apr 01 11:24 am
trixR4kids wrote:
george wrote:
I'm a sure I have part of this wrong (and hopefully someone can correct me or add to the lore) but I believe Andy originally came to MN only for golf. Due to injuries there was a shortage of defensemen & Andy happened to be wearing Bugle Boys :lol: so Wooger pulled him in from the bullpen. Plus Andy was an outstanding HS player who happened to chose golf over hockey so he ended up being able to play both.
Pretty much. Andy played both F and D. He was at the U on an Evans Scholarship and played for the Varsity Golf team.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Iceburg » Mon Apr 01 1:05 pm

Andy went to a Florida school originally to play golf. Can’t recall which one, but it wasn’t Florida or Florida State. Transferred to the “U” after one year.

Retired Thread Police

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 01 2:05 pm

GopherPuck316 wrote:
Mon Apr 01 11:42 am
trixR4kids wrote:
george wrote:
I think this is a big part of why people think he could flip. Another big factor is the coaching changes at both DU and the U since he committed, although it’s been said that Carle has a strong relationship with Brink.
It's not impossible but it's not really worth the hundreds of posts or speculation either. At best it's wishful thinking based on second order factors.

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Mon Apr 01 2:12 pm

Seriously if you’re not interested then don’t bother commenting on it... The only thing less useful than the Brink speculation (IMO fun to dream but unrealistic) is all the people complaining about the speculation in the PROSPECTIVE recruits thread.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Mon Apr 01 2:12 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
george wrote:
I think the legend was that Andy was playing on an intramural team and Woog asked him if he'd be interested in joining the team. He got his start with the Gophers after Christmas break of the 92-93 season playing in 20 games. Made the World Jr. team the following year. Not a very big guy but a damn good player.
http://gopherhockeyhistory.com/players/ ... p?plID=143

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show ... eam-roster

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 01 2:27 pm

Gopher Fan 26 wrote:
Mon Apr 01 2:12 pm
Seriously if you’re not interested then don’t bother commenting on it... The only thing less useful than the Brink speculation (IMO fun to dream but unrealistic) is all the people complaining about the speculation in the PROSPECTIVE recruits thread.
Uh no. The “complainers” are merely citing the fact that there are a couple hundred posts about a guy where there’s no legitimate reason to think he’s flipping. It’d be nice to see this thread at the top of the list for actual news about potential recruits or even some actual news about Brink. Instead it’s just completely worthless speculation about a guy in which there’s no new info or anything remotely credible to talk about.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 01 2:35 pm

Given how many legacies lately have chosen to play elsewhere I'm not sure it's that much of a factor. Maybe with Bob coming in that has/will change and hopefully so.

I get what some of you are saying - this is the thread to talk about "potential" future recruits but we can agree to disagree that Brink should be counted among them. Hope I'm wrong even though I'm still annoyed that he and his Tonka teammates likely would have repeated had he stayed. :chainsaw: :wink:
Currently under construction.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Mon Apr 01 3:53 pm

Surprised Carsen Richels hasn't jumped on with a junior team for rest of season. Has he said if he plans to play at Blaine next year or juniors?

GopherPuck316
Rookie

Post by GopherPuck316 » Mon Apr 01 4:39 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Mon Apr 01 3:53 pm
Surprised Carsen Richels hasn't jumped on with a junior team for rest of season. Has he said if he plans to play at Blaine next year or juniors?
Does he a spring sport? That could be the answer.

younggopherdiehard
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by younggopherdiehard » Mon Apr 01 5:03 pm

I don’t believe his USHL rights are owned by anybody and he may not want to play in the NAHL. Just a guess.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 01 5:26 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Mon Apr 01 2:12 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
george wrote:
I think the legend was that Andy was playing on an intramural team and Woog asked him if he'd be interested in joining the team. He got his start with the Gophers after Christmas break of the 92-93 season playing in 20 games. Made the World Jr. team the following year. Not a very big guy but a damn good player.
http://gopherhockeyhistory.com/players/ ... p?plID=143

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show ... eam-roster
He was a very solid player. Good hands and quick feet. #18 for the Maroon and Gold.

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Tue Apr 02 4:27 pm

Anyone have any scoop on where Ryan Chesley might be leaning? I grew up with his mom and she lives fairly close to me. If I see her, I'll ask.

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Tue Apr 02 4:28 pm

P.S. Maddox Fleming skated with my son's '07 AAA team last night. He appears to be a good kid - was very nice to all the youngsters!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 149 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 02 9:15 pm

I know I'm in the minority, but if Brink (three more points tonight) is going to be the next MN Boeser or Guentzel for the NHL I'd rather he plays in the WHL with his buddy Clay... "We all missed out on him" is better than "We missed out on him".
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Tue Apr 02 10:16 pm

I’d prefer to see him in college, I wanna see all the top us players in college.

We may have missed out on the guys you mentioned but we got 4 years out of Cammy!

Gopherr16

Post by Gopherr16 » Tue Apr 02 10:38 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 02 9:15 pm
I know I'm in the minority, but if Brink (three more points tonight) is going to be the next MN Boeser or Guentzel for the NHL I'd rather he plays in the WHL with his buddy Clay... "We all missed out on him" is better than "We missed out on him".
I agree. But, Denver is 100 times better than the drunken Sconi’s, UMD, or UND.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Apr 03 11:46 am

YHH tweeted that these 04s (fml) will probably commit somewhere soon.

Ryan Chesley (SSM via mahtomedi)
Isaac Howard (Hudson, played HM JV before SSM)
Cole Spicer (GF, guessing staying there)
Maddox Fleming
Charlie Stramel (Rosemount bantam)
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Apr 04 10:54 am

Spicer to UND as predicted.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

RatherBeGolfing
Veteran

Post by RatherBeGolfing » Thu Apr 04 11:51 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 03 11:46 am
YHH tweeted that these 04s (fml) will probably commit somewhere soon.

Ryan Chesley (SSM via mahtomedi)
Isaac Howard (Hudson, played HM JV before SSM)
Cole Spicer (GF, guessing staying there)
Maddox Fleming
Charlie Stramel (Rosemount bantam)
Big fan of Fleming

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Apr 04 1:29 pm

UND has learned nothing about early recruiting.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 04 9:19 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Apr 04 1:29 pm
He's 8 years younger than the average Kato commit.

GopherPuck316
Rookie

Post by GopherPuck316 » Thu Apr 04 11:27 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Apr 04 9:19 pm
glenhogan21 wrote:
😂 😂 😂

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by D2D » Fri Apr 05 1:10 am

GopherPuck316 wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:27 pm
Norm wrote:
Thu Apr 04 9:19 pm
glenhogan21 wrote:
😂 😂 😂
And in the game against Providence, having given up the game's last six goals, age and experience didn't work out so well for Kato. Somewhere in between there is a happy - and repeatable - medium that combines both bringing in some of the extremely talented high-end youth with great potential (per their high draft choice) early vs. waiting and signing older and more seasoned guys who have matured (both skill-wise and physically) while playing juniors (or other leagues overseas) that are beyond the high school level. Besides the very obvious, very top-end talent in high school, signing the very young projected talent seems to be an increasingly risky strategy.

Although that balance will not be achieved in 2019-20, I'm optimistic that Motzko will work to achieve that ideal balance starting in 2020-21. Judging by his signees and commits, he seems to be already headed in that direction.

scubasteve2727
Rookie

Post by scubasteve2727 » Fri Apr 05 7:34 am

The problem is early recruiting, that doesn’t mean you will always have older players. They will just commit at 17-18 instead of 14-15.

So many of the young recruits don’t end up being the talented kids in college. Sam Rossini was a young recruit, not bashing him but he’s not the offensive D-man he was touted as. Most of the big schools have had this problem that’s why it’s surprising Nodak took 3 young kids this week.

I liked Scott bell but young recruiting seemed to be his thing. Joey Miller, Noah Tussy, Jake Ratzlaff and the Lucius Brothers all committed when he was here I believe.

I don’t want a bunch of 25 year old guys on the team. I want us to have most of our recruits commits as juniors or seniors. This is exactly what Motz has done and our Top recruit committed during summer of his junior year.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Apr 05 9:05 am

scubasteve2727 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 7:34 am
The problem is early recruiting, that doesn’t mean you will always have older players. They will just commit at 17-18 instead of 14-15.
But you also reduce the likelihood of mistakes. Back in the old days, kids pretty much always committed at the 17-18 age... and while that didn't totally eliminate mistakes, it reduced them. I'd say it is more likely they come in older when they commit older too. Not across the board but more likely than if they commit at 15 or 16.
Most of the big schools have had this problem that’s why it’s surprising Nodak took 3 young kids this week.
I don't think it is surprising when you have looming rule changes and you want to get in under the wire of the old rules to get a few kids that you feel are worth it. Especially if there is pressure to get a couple of legacy kids lined up like they did with Panzer and Ausmus.
I liked Scott bell but young recruiting seemed to be his thing. Joey Miller, Noah Tussy, Jake Ratzlaff and the Lucius Brothers all committed when he was here I believe.
He was extra familiar with those kids coming up right now because his oldest son is in that relative age group. Can't blame him for suggesting players he knows well.
This is exactly what Motz has done and our Top recruit committed during summer of his junior year.
Who is your "top"?

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Apr 05 9:27 am

scubasteve2727 wrote:
This is exactly what Motz has done and our Top recruit committed during summer of his junior year.
Did Chaz Lucius jump into a time machine? :mrgreen:

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Apr 05 9:37 am

Can’t be referring to Nevers, so I’ll say Lacombe??

cypressmills
Rookie

Post by cypressmills » Fri Apr 05 9:39 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:37 am
Johnson.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 05 9:39 am

Really what is the young commitment thing good for? I see nothing.

If they do 17 you're going to have even more exciting and visible recruiting battles. As stated no matter how good the kids are or turn out the probability that they end up at the school just goes down further and further the younger they commit. Is anyone feeling really sure these Lucius kids with crazy hockey parents will really end up here? I'm much more excited about the older guys we have lined up because we know what we're getting even if Lucius could go top 10.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 05 9:40 am

cypressmills wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:39 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:37 am
Johnson.
Committed in the summer after his sophomore year
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Apr 05 9:48 am

I doubt it is going to be as visible/exciting as you think because most of it has largely been out of the public eye since the beginning of time as it is.

Motzko treats recruiting like he is protecting NSA secrets. Don't count on that changing. It is almost like we are going full circle back to the early Lucia days where recruiting info was based mostly on who your contacts are. Which is fine with me.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 05 9:54 am

Hammy wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:48 am
I doubt it is going to be as visible/exciting as you think because most of it has largely been out of the public eye since the beginning of time as it is.

Motzko treats recruiting like he is protecting NSA secrets. Don't count on that changing. It is almost like we are going full circle back to the early Lucia days where recruiting info was based mostly on who your contacts are. Which is fine with me.
You'll have a shorter window of when to expect commitments from specific players, though. Over time maybe we see the stars all commit early in the window (for better or worse).
Sick of LOSERVILLE

scubasteve2727
Rookie

Post by scubasteve2727 » Fri Apr 05 10:07 am

Hammy wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:05 am
scubasteve2727 wrote:
But you also reduce the likelihood of mistakes. Back in the old days, kids pretty much always committed at the 17-18 age... and while that didn't totally eliminate mistakes, it reduced them. I'd say it is more likely they come in older when they commit older too. Not across the board but more likely than if they commit at 15 or 16.
Most of the big schools have had this problem that’s why it’s surprising Nodak took 3 young kids this week.
I don't think it is surprising when you have looming rule changes and you want to get in under the wire of the old rules to get a few kids that you feel are worth it. Especially if there is pressure to get a couple of legacy kids lined up like they did with Panzer and Ausmus.
He was extra familiar with those kids coming up right now because his oldest son is in that relative age group. Can't blame him for suggesting players he knows well.
Who is your "top"?
Totally agree It reduces mistakes. I would honestly love to see the NHL go to a 19 year old draft. So hard to predict and the game changes so much as you increase levels of play.

I was referring to Lacombe but it’s fair to say Ryan Johnson and him are in the same Tier

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Apr 05 10:08 am

Early recruiting would be a tough way to earn your paycheck. Betting on 14 year old kids! Maybe for the truly elite you can see it, but not for most. Even Look at the uncommitted HS juniors: Richels, Perbix, Laylin, Messenburg etc. Very hard to say which one will develop thru juniors and college and emerge as the best player, and which one flames out.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Apr 05 10:09 am

It's still going to be a guessing game for most.

RatherBeGolfing
Veteran

Post by RatherBeGolfing » Fri Apr 05 11:08 am

Hammy wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:48 am

See I think more recruiting news is better for growing the game and making it more popular in general. More recruiting discussion, more attention on it is good for the game

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Apr 05 12:01 pm

RatherBeGolfing wrote:
Fri Apr 05 11:08 am
See I think more recruiting news is better for growing the game and making it more popular in general. More recruiting discussion, more attention on it is good for the game
The idea that additional recruiting news is going to grow anything to any significant degree is ignoring the reality of the sport. College hockey is a niche within a niche sport. Additional recruiting info is only going to connect with people who are already fans as it is.

We have seen how that kind of recruiting attention turns every football/basketball player into a major self promoter. Announcing every visit and every new offer? :roll:

I don’t know about you but the self promotion to that degree is a big turn off. Motzko apparently agrees given how he seems to discourage announcing this stuff.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Apr 05 12:06 pm

I mean we had Mittelstadt and even he didn’t generate a ton of excitement. Attendance was still an issue during his 1 season. The only recruit right now that would make any sort of a splash would be Brink, and that more with die hard fans than casual.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by streakygopher » Fri Apr 05 1:31 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 12:06 pm
I mean we had Mittelstadt and even he didn’t generate a ton of excitement. Attendance was still an issue during his 1 season. The only recruit right now that would make any sort of a splash would be Brink, and that more with die hard fans than casual.
The team has to win consistently. If the Wild keep doing what they're doing there might even be an inversion of fan interest, at least to some degree.

If the team goes on a run like UMD and Clown has for the past several years, fans will come back.

RatherBeGolfing
Veteran

Post by RatherBeGolfing » Fri Apr 05 1:36 pm

Hammy wrote:
Fri Apr 05 12:01 pm
RatherBeGolfing wrote:
Fri Apr 05 11:08 am
The idea that additional recruiting news is going to grow anything to any significant degree is ignoring the reality of the sport. College hockey is a niche within a niche sport. Additional recruiting info is only going to connect with people who are already fans as it is.

We have seen how that kind of recruiting attention turns every football/basketball player into a major self promoter. Announcing every visit and every new offer? :roll:

I don’t know about you but the self promotion to that degree is a big turn off. Motzko apparently agrees given how he seems to discourage announcing this stuff.
I get it, you don't like the egotistical aspect of it. That's become very clear over the years reading this board, that's fine, you can have your opinion that way, I couldn't disagree with you more with your take on it, though so we'll leave it at that because we'll never change each other's view on it.

I stand by my point that any attention on the game is good for it. You're right, even if there was a 247 or Rivals or Scout or whatever for Hockey, it still would be a niche sport. But the secrecy of recruiting in this sport is the complete opposite of what needs to be happening to even be marginally more popular.

Goldy77
Veteran
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Goldy77 » Fri Apr 05 3:47 pm

A little stiffer competition for the kid should be good.