Potential Future Recruits - Part II

Chat about current and future recruits...
outofstateoutofmind
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Potential Future Recruits - Part II

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Fri Oct 30 2:59 am

As reported on the other thread, Norwegian Ludvig Hoff ('96) of Lincoln, currently the USHL's leading goal scorer, is considering us. Others in on him are Providence, North Dakota, Northeastern, and Wisconsin. It will likely be an uphill battle for us here.
Winning is more important than being all-Minnesotan. —Grant Potulny

#FreeSadek 2015–16, #FreeNotermann 2016–17, #FreeRossini 2017–18, #FreeStucker 2018–19

Not a sieve, but rather, a funnel.

midevil bowievil
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Oct 30 2:43 pm

LeoPohl wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:I just read it as at least it isn't his senior year right before coming to college...

Exactly. It's not like it was with Smaagaard back in the day when he tore his knee up playing football at EP as a senior and it threw a wrench into his development right before college

Dang! I didn't even get the feference right!

But Budish was out his senior hockey season at Edina wasn't he?

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Fri Oct 30 10:01 pm

Not sure about the relevance but I believe mark alt missed much of his senior year due to a football injury - broken collar bone I believe- and went then straight to the U as a true freshman

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Sat Oct 31 11:11 pm

outofstateoutofmind wrote:Patrick Khodorenko of the NTDP reportedly is considering the U along with BC, Michigan, Wisconsin, and WHL Everett. I've watched this kid many times and I can't say enough good things about him. He's a late '98 from the San Francisco area.

I'm not holding my breath for him to commit to Minnesota much less hit campus. Minnesota virtually never wins these recruiting battles for premier out of state players

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sun Nov 01 11:18 pm

kid comprisable wrote:
outofstateoutofmind wrote:Patrick Khodorenko of the NTDP reportedly is considering the U along with BC, Michigan, Wisconsin, and WHL Everett. I've watched this kid many times and I can't say enough good things about him. He's a late '98 from the San Francisco area.

I'm not holding my breath for him to commit to Minnesota much less hit campus. Minnesota virtually never wins these recruiting battles for premier out of state players

You forgot to chirp lucia.

LeoPohl
Veteran
Location: June 5th, 2017, 22:43: Trapped quadruple post. That's right. Trapped quadruple post.

Post by LeoPohl » Mon Nov 02 11:03 am

midevil bowievil wrote:
LeoPohl wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:I just read it as at least it isn't his senior year right before coming to college...

Exactly. It's not like it was with Smaagaard back in the day when he tore his knee up playing football at EP as a senior and it threw a wrench into his development right before college

Dang! I didn't even get the reference right!

But Budish was out his senior hockey season at Edina wasn't he?

Yes, which is why I immediately thought of him. Smaagard was before GPL made it possible to have instant access to such information regardless of place in the state.

kid comprisable wrote:Not sure about the relevance but I believe mark alt missed much of his senior year due to a football injury - broken collar bone I believe- and went then straight to the U as a true

I believe he missed about a month, but I don't remember what month (January?). I'm fairly certain he played after it, though.
The Franchise. But what the Hell?
96 seasons; 1774-1002-187 all-time; 55-38-0 in NCAA tournament play.
National Titles in 1929, 1940, 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, and 2003
WCHA Season Titles in 1953, 1954, 1970, 1975, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1997, 2006, 2007, 2012, and 2013
BIG in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
WCHA Playoff Titles in 1961, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2003, 2004, and 2007
BIG in 2015

LeoPohl
Veteran
Location: June 5th, 2017, 22:43: Trapped quadruple post. That's right. Trapped quadruple post.

Post by LeoPohl » Mon Nov 02 11:14 am

kid comprisable wrote:

I'd say McMannus certainly qualified for that when he comitted.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Minnesota doesn't heavily recruit many high-end out of state players to begin with because of all the high end in state talent the state produces.

That and nearly half of all comitted recruits are from out state.

Anybody got a pic/gif handy of this battle?
Group 1: RECRUIT MORE MINNESOTA PLAYERS!!!!
Group 2: RECRUIT MORE NON-MINNESOTA PLAYERS!!!
Group 3: EVERY ELITE TALENT FROM MINNESOTA SHOULD PLAY HERE!!!

It's mind-numbing.
The Franchise. But what the Hell?
96 seasons; 1774-1002-187 all-time; 55-38-0 in NCAA tournament play.
National Titles in 1929, 1940, 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, and 2003
WCHA Season Titles in 1953, 1954, 1970, 1975, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1997, 2006, 2007, 2012, and 2013
BIG in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
WCHA Playoff Titles in 1961, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2003, 2004, and 2007
BIG in 2015

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Mon Nov 02 12:34 pm

LeoPohl wrote:
kid comprisable wrote:

I'd say McMannus certainly qualified for that when he comitted.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Minnesota doesn't heavily recruit many high-end out of state players to begin with because of all the high end in state talent the state produces.

That and nearly half of all comitted recruits are from out state.

Anybody got a pic/gif handy of this battle?
Group 1: RECRUIT MORE MINNESOTA PLAYERS!!!!
Group 2: RECRUIT MORE NON-MINNESOTA PLAYERS!!!
Group 3: EVERY ELITE TALENT FROM MINNESOTA SHOULD PLAY HERE!!!

It's mind-numbing.

I was referring more to kids a year out from college. I could have been a little more clear on that. That being said- It's hard to call freshmen and sophomores "premier talents" (ala mcmanus was when he committed as, what, a 15 year old?

Off the top of my head- the last couple months alone- The U recruited fabbro, ludvig hoff and oliver wahlstrom - all committed elsewhere. I could come up with a long list of examples but I honestly don't care to put in the time. Minnesota recruits out of state players all the time- they just rarely commit here. Hence why you maybe don't realize they DO recruit out of state

Classic GPL overreaction there though

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Mon Nov 02 12:39 pm

You do make a good point about some current commits being from out of state. all current, elite out of state commits are from shattuck- which last time I checked was in-state. Baker is from all the way over from Wisconsin, and while but he may be fine player i would hardly call him premier. Halladay isnt and he may not even wind up at the U.

Never said anything about who thy should recruit. Not sure why you went to the gif comment about needing to land every elite talent, all Mn kids etc. My point was that they rarely win these recruiting battles of kids without a MN connection. khodorenko didn't play at ssm.. So my prediction remains that I will not hold my breath for that one

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hammy » Mon Nov 02 4:22 pm

I have to laugh at the concept that Shattuck is somehow considered some in-state advantage for the U (as if it is in the same breath of an EP, Edina, etc). As if those prep school types from out of state have any real loyalty to the U just because it is nearby... :lol:

God knows we were really landing all the top SSM guys during the Parise/Toews days. Must have been the location advantage back then too, right? :mrgreen:

The assertion that the Gophers recruit out of staters all the time needs more perspective too. School names often times get thrown out in these situations without really recognizing in a number of cases the player never had an offer. It is more they received some contact or scouting attention from us (as opposed to an actual offer) and our program suddenly gets thrown in the same mix as schools that actually did make an offer. Big difference.

McManus and Maniscalo are definitely elite out of state recruits no matter what stipulation you want to throw on it. The recent Euro kids (Bristedt and Fallstrom) were landed over a number of D1 powers. Whether those two Euros turn out to be real good college guys remains to be seen but they were definitely highly sought after when they committed.

Szmatula (while technically a transfer) still had to be recruited just like any other guy and he came here over a number of attractive options.

The Gophers do fine with what they need to do for out of state recruiting. It will never be a huge part of their forte because they don't need it given the many local options.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Fri Nov 06 6:39 pm

If Khodorenko is to attend school, he would join in the fall of 2016. Confirmed that today.

#FreeSadek 2015–16, #FreeNotermann 2016–17, #FreeRossini 2017–18, #FreeStucker 2018–19

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Wed Nov 25 7:16 am

Watching the Roseau - Thief River Falls game last night, Ethan Johnson was fun to watch. I didn't catch what grade he was in but with skill and hands like he has, I would imagine that he's got to be on someone's radar? Or is he committed somewhere already? i couldn't find much on him.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Wed Nov 25 4:45 pm

puckluck wrote:Watching the Roseau - Thief River Falls game last night, Ethan Johnson was fun to watch. I didn't catch what grade he was in but with skill and hands like he has, I would imagine that he's got to be on someone's radar? Or is he committed somewhere already? i couldn't find much on him.

He's a senior. No college commitment, no USHL draft rights.

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Wed Nov 25 7:55 pm

outofstateoutofmind wrote:
puckluck wrote:Watching the Roseau - Thief River Falls game last night, Ethan Johnson was fun to watch. I didn't catch what grade he was in but with skill and hands like he has, I would imagine that he's got to be on someone's radar? Or is he committed somewhere already? i couldn't find much on him.

He's a senior. No college commitment, no USHL draft rights.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Not saying he would be a fit or not a fit for the Gophers and given his location I would think the Whioux maybe would be at least somewhat interested. Seems as if he's got enough skill to at bare minimum play juniors.

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Sun Nov 29 9:39 am

Curious if there have been any rumblings on possibly landing Gavin Hain from GR...

A while back someone stated that they saw some GR kids visiting the U. He seems like a great land if we could get him.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Nov 29 2:55 pm

Any one have any insight on our chances for Pat Khodorenko or Shane Bowers?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 29 3:48 pm

I would think Canada bound.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Sun Nov 29 5:44 pm

Khodorenko might be college bound. His dad says he's considering schools more than he was at this time last year.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Thu Dec 03 4:41 pm

Ty Emberson and Todd Scott were named to the US Youth Olympic team. No Minnesotan high schoolers on the roster.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Dec 03 5:38 pm

Which means they probably turned it down or knew they would.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Thu Dec 03 5:49 pm

Bonin21 wrote:Which means they probably turned it down or knew they would.

The tournament runs until February 21st, which would potentially mean missing section semifinals for Minnesota kids, so they declined. Same goes for some east coast kids playing high school. Still, I wouldn't expect a ton of Minnesota kids out of this group being picked for NTDP next spring.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Laxref » Thu Dec 03 9:24 pm

Sorry if this is common knowledge but is the Notterman kid from Blaine committed yet?
I see he has six assists and tufte has six goals thru two vs totino tonight.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Thu Dec 03 9:54 pm

Holy lord. Tufte had 5 in the first period. I know Totino isn't what it once was, but wow.

Gopher99
Veteran

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Dec 04 1:08 am

I really wish we had Tufte / Graham / or Mattson from this class. Hurts to lose all 3 - I know Mittelstadt looks like a player and we can't always get everyone, just wondering how close we were to those any of those 3 names...especially Tufte to an in-state rival

Jaykay3
Veteran

Post by Jaykay3 » Fri Dec 04 1:43 am

Gopher99 wrote:I really wish we had Tufte / Graham / or Mattson from this class. Hurts to lose all 3 - I know Mittelstadt looks like a player and we can't always get everyone, just wondering how close we were to those any of those 3 names...especially Tufte to an in-state rival

Mittelstadt is better than all three of them, and I really like Tufte.

And it's not like Wait, Reedy, Pitlick, Zuhlsdorf, Lindgren, etc. wouldn't be absolutely dominating high school hockey right now if they were still around.

It's fun to follow the high school game and play the 'what if' game with kids who are going elsewhere but I think the Gophers are doing just fine in recruiting.

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Fri Dec 04 2:47 am

I think they were too slow in recruiting tufte. they tried to recruit him after he committed to Duluth. Tufte was already getting national attention at the time so I don't know why the gophers were so slow. Maybe they thought they had the luxury of time

Casey might be a better scorer but it's hard to day he's a better player than tufte. They have different skil sets (and size obviously). Tufte is a monster and uses his size really well
Last edited by kid comprisable on Fri Dec 04 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AHABulldog
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by AHABulldog » Fri Dec 04 7:58 am

Gopher99 wrote:I really wish we had Tufte / Graham / or Mattson from this class. Hurts to lose all 3 - I know Mittelstadt looks like a player and we can't always get everyone, just wondering how close we were to those any of those 3 names...especially Tufte to an in-state rival

UMD had 2 of 3 :anger:

Would have been fun.

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Fri Dec 04 10:38 am

Eh. Maybe one of those three end up being a big loss in the long run. But if you had to pick one of those four, it's Mittelstadt by a mile.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Fri Dec 04 12:30 pm

We didn't attempt to recruit Tufte before he committed. We tried to recruit Graham before he committed to UMD, but not before Notre Dame. We tried to recruit Mattson, but he grew up a North Dakota fan and committed before he took a visit to the U.

My order:
Mittelstadt
Tufte
Mattson
Graham

gophsb2b
Golden
Golden

Post by gophsb2b » Fri Dec 04 1:33 pm

Give me Reedy. It's not sexy because he's out being the leading scorer for the Under 17 team, but I'm sure he'd be a pretty big force in High School based on that success.

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Dec 04 2:02 pm

Well, SCSU is currently the top college hockey team in the state and the only recruit we have is (at best) the 4th best junior in the state. That pretty much sums up why SCSU only has 9 natives in its current roster. If the best in the state aren't interested, we'll just look elsewhere.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Dec 04 2:13 pm

If there is anything we have seen over the years, it is the reality that what you see in HS hockey doesn't necessarily translate beyond that. If we could list all the names that everybody hyped from HS hockey over the years, we'd see plenty of names that didn't produce a lot beyond that level. Some do, some don't. Let's be honest... that's part of the difficulty for pro scouts when trying to make an assessment of a player that hasn't played beyond HS hockey.

Tufte reminds me a lot of guys that might have a better time of it in the pros than in college. They utilize the size advantage to their advantage in HS but when that gets neutralized more in college, they don't end up as productive as you'd think. They spend a decent chunk of time trying to develop other aspects of their game to make up for their size being more neutralized... and by the time they do, they are ready to leave for the pro game. Although sometimes it does work out real well before they go (like Brock Nelson)

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Fri Dec 04 2:21 pm

The U as usual has some elite recruits like lindgren and reedy, so not to say they are doing a poor job because they're not necessarily. And I know it's blasphemy on this forum to say they should have recruited so and so because people are then jumped on as implying the U needs to land EVERY in state recruit and find room for all of them etc.. But I do think it's fair to point out a mistake in recruiting when a coaching staff simply passes on players. I would really have liked the U to have recruited tufte and inamoto (both of which they did not recruit). Not because the U needs either player, because they don't. But because they're very fun to watch. I'd take tufte over any incoming forward next year and inamoto over any defenseman coming in the year after

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Fri Dec 04 3:00 pm

I'm still holding out hope for Patrick Khodorenko.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Fri Dec 04 3:44 pm

kid comprisable wrote:The U as usual has some elite recruits like lindgren and reedy, so not to say they are doing a poor job because they're not necessarily. And I know it's blasphemy on this forum to say they should have recruited so and so because people are then jumped on as implying the U needs to land EVERY in state recruit and find room for all of them etc.. But I do think it's fair to point out a mistake in recruiting when a coaching staff simply passes on players. I would really have liked the U to have recruited tufte and inamoto (both of which they did not recruit). Not because the U needs either player, because they don't. But because they're very fun to watch. I'd take tufte over any incoming forward next year and inamoto over any defenseman coming in the year after

Everybody is entitled to an opinion on who should or shouldn't be recruited. But calling any decision a "mistake" at this point is a bit much. None of the players in question have played a second of college hockey and "mistakes" are really only going to be clearly defined by what they actually do in college. Not before it.

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Dec 04 3:45 pm

outofstateoutofmind wrote:I'm still holding out hope for Patrick Khodorenko.

I have no idea which colleges are recruiting which prospects, but Khodorenko, Eeli Tolvanen, and Shane Bowers seem to have the most hype at the moment.

I don't see a lot of talk around Max Gildon. Is he written off as being WHL bound?

Gopher99
Veteran

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Dec 04 4:28 pm

I think the thing too is Tufte / Mattson have good size already for their age (not sure as much on Graham - and I know Hammy mentioned the pro's and con's perhaps of the size debate with college game vs pro game). One of the takeaways from our first round game last year with UMD was the glaring difference with size/physicality (and probably a factor in being 0-7 I think in the last 7?)...obviously more to it than just that but I'm a believer of some presence and size can only help a hockey team

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Fri Dec 04 5:20 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
outofstateoutofmind wrote:I'm still holding out hope for Patrick Khodorenko.

I have no idea which colleges are recruiting which prospects, but Khodorenko, Eeli Tolvanen, and Shane Bowers seem to have the most hype at the moment.

I don't see a lot of talk around Max Gildon. Is he written off as being WHL bound?

I think it's pretty set that Gildon is going to the Dub unless something drastic happens.

Not sure about Tolvanen and Bowers, although the rumor is that Bowers wants a trade to another Q team.

Khodorenko's choices are us, Michigan, BC, and Wisconsin. WHL Everett is also an option.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Dec 05 12:57 am

Between 2 players of the same age, the one who has the gift of size, will usually be just that, size.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 14 1:21 pm

Avery Peterson left Omaha. Potential transfer? Seems like it may go beyond hockey reasons, though.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Dec 14 3:34 pm

Bonin21 wrote:Avery Peterson left Omaha. Potential transfer? Seems like it may go beyond hockey reasons, though.

My understanding is that he'll have to be enrolled full time this coming semester if he wants to play the following spring. We should learn quickly where he plans to go. SCSU recruited him before he committed to UNO.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Mon Dec 14 3:41 pm

I know he grew up a UMD fan and that is his closest school. Because his departure is for "personal reasons", I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed where he is headed.

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Dec 14 4:37 pm

outofstateoutofmind wrote:I know he grew up a UMD fan and that is his closest school. Because his departure is for "personal reasons", I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed where he is headed.

They probably have more room for him next season. SCSU has a bit of a logjam at the moment, but I believe that will end up working itself out (for some unfortunate reasons).

LevelHeadedGopher

Post by LevelHeadedGopher » Mon Dec 14 9:35 pm

Is it me or or has it been a while since we've had a commit?

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Mon Dec 14 9:41 pm

LevelHeadedGopher wrote:Is it me or or has it been a while since we've had a commit?

I don't really see that as problematic, we have six guys who have signed LOIs, one guy practicing with the team not able to play until next year, and twelve more with verbal commitments. We only have three seniors on the roster and at the very most I could see three guys leave early, but likely only one. We have a huge pipeline at the moment and I'm not remotely worried.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 14 9:47 pm

Right now we have 15 forwards. We likely lose R. Reilly, Michaelson, C. Reilly, Rogge, (Fasching).

We have Pitlick and Szmatula coming in, maybe Wait and Mittelstadt. Baker if he has to. I'd say we could use at least one more forward for next year, and it would help if it were an impact one.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

LevelHeadedGopher

Post by LevelHeadedGopher » Tue Dec 15 1:40 pm

Never said I was concerned or saw it as a problem, just thought it was interesting.

steps1299
Rookie

Post by steps1299 » Wed Dec 16 9:02 am

Bonin21 wrote:Right now we have 15 forwards. We likely lose R. Reilly, Michaelson, C. Reilly, Rogge, (Fasching).

We have Pitlick and Szmatula coming in, maybe Wait and Mittelstadt. Baker if he has to. I'd say we could use at least one more forward for next year, and it would help if it were an impact one.

Why would we lose C. Reilly?

alignrock
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times

Post by alignrock » Wed Dec 16 9:12 am

steps1299 wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:Right now we have 15 forwards. We likely lose R. Reilly, Michaelson, C. Reilly, Rogge, (Fasching).

Why would we lose C. Reilly?

4th year in school, gonna graduate this year regardless, brothers both gone from school after this year....may be ready to move on for a combo of those reasons.

Winnwell
Rookie

Post by Winnwell » Wed Dec 16 11:08 am

I guess North Dakota is showing interest in the brother of Freshman Ryan Norman. Nik Norman is a Bantam on a good Shattuck team that is undefeated and rated number one in the country. Two players have already verbally committed Grant Silianoff to Notre Dame and Mastosimone out east somewhere.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Wed Dec 16 2:59 pm

Winnwell wrote:I guess North Dakota is showing interest in the brother of Freshman Ryan Norman. Nik Norman is a Bantam on a good Shattuck team that is undefeated and rated number one in the country. Two players have already verbally committed Grant Silianoff to Notre Dame and Mastosimone out east somewhere.

Mastrosimone committed to BU.

Norman's dad played at North Dakota, so this makes sense, although Berry has said he doesn't much care for recruitng younger players.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Mon Dec 21 1:30 pm

Ty Emberson is in a tough situation––he was named to the Youth Olympic team but the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association won't let him play in the playoffs if he goes to Norway. I don't like this one bit.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high-sc ... mpic-games

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Mon Dec 21 11:10 pm

Nik Norman is a good player and most likely will end up a D1 player but he does not have a offer from North Dakota.
Not getting Tufte was a tough one ( Gophers were trying as hard as anyone to get him before he committed to UMD). Mattson is a project, Graham good player but soft, Mittelstadt should be absolute stud at the U.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Mon Dec 21 11:31 pm

2000 forward (9th grader) Jack Perbix from Elk River is a player the U will be looking to lock down soon.

kid comprisable
Rookie

Post by kid comprisable » Tue Dec 22 12:24 am

May have already been mentioned, but Liam pecararo is a guy minnesota appears to be interested in.

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Tue Dec 22 7:00 am

minnscout wrote:2000 forward (9th grader) Jack Perbix from Elk River is a player the U will be looking to lock down soon.

I hope so. It would be cool to see Jack in the "M".

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Dec 22 9:44 am

kid comprisable wrote:May have already been mentioned, but Liam pecararo is a guy minnesota appears to be interested in.

UND is recruiting him as well.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Tue Dec 22 10:29 am

Word I have heard is Pecararo is not strong academically which MAY have an impact on where he ultimately goes. Can't say for sure though.

He's played with a number of current and future Gophers so that wouldn't hurt their case.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 22 10:34 am

Sounds like an F'n Hawk to me
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Tue Dec 22 11:28 am

Bonin21 wrote:Sounds like an F'n Hawk to me

I was going to say the same thing. If he is "not strong" he shouldn't raise the curve at UND too much for the other players. :lol:
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Tue Dec 22 1:24 pm

Hammy wrote:Word I have heard is Pecararo is not strong academically which MAY have an impact on where he ultimately goes. Can't say for sure though.

He's played with a number of current and future Gophers so that wouldn't hurt their case.

I remember being surprised when I heard North Dakota and UMD were recruiting him because they historically don't take guys who have played elsewhere––my personal, unconfirmed belief is that his departure from Maine was not playing-time related.
Last edited by outofstateoutofmind on Tue Dec 22 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Exiled One
Rookie

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Dec 22 2:40 pm

Avery Peterson will be transferring to either BSU or UMD. I don't believe he's decided which yet.

younggopherdiehard
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by younggopherdiehard » Wed Dec 23 11:50 pm

kid comprisable wrote:I think they were too slow in recruiting tufte. they tried to recruit him after he committed to Duluth. Tufte was already getting national attention at the time so I don't know why the gophers were so slow. Maybe they thought they had the luxury of time

Casey might be a better scorer but it's hard to day he's a better player than tufte. They have different skil sets (and size obviously). Tufte is a monster and uses his size really well

Did Tufte ever sign his NLI during the early signing period? I didn't see anything, but I could have easily missed it. If not, I hope we haven't given up on recruiting him just yet. I went to the EP-Blaine game tonight and he sure is fun to watch. He definitely utIlizes his size to his advantage at the high school level, but he reminds me so much of Bjugstadt at the same age and it sure looks like he can have an impact at the college level. He and Mittelstadt were easily the two best players on the ice.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Wed Dec 23 11:56 pm

Tufte signed.

dryfly
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by dryfly » Wed Dec 23 11:57 pm

younggopherdiehard wrote:
kid comprisable wrote:I think they were too slow in recruiting tufte. they tried to recruit him after he committed to Duluth. Tufte was already getting national attention at the time so I don't know why the gophers were so slow. Maybe they thought they had the luxury of time

Did Tufte ever sign his NLI during the early signing period? I didn't see anything, but I could have easily missed it. If not, I hope we haven't given up on recruiting him just yet. I went to the EP-Blaine game tonight and he sure is fun to watch. He definitely utIlizes his size to his advantage at the high school level, but he reminds me so much of Bjugstadt at the same age and it sure looks like he can have an impact at the college level. He and Mittelstadt were easily the two best players on the ice.

Yes.

http://umdbulldogs.com/news/2015/11/16/ ... 50619.aspx

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Mon Jan 04 3:10 pm

I was wondering about Isaac Johnson of Anoka earlier this year and see he apparently had a good showing at the Schwan Cup this past weekend. Is he committed anywhere and i just missed it and if not, curious if anyone knows who may be in the running/interested?

Also wondering about Ethan Johnson from Thief. I was impressed when i saw him earlier this year. Anyone know if he's in the mix for somewhere?

Jaykay3
Veteran

Post by Jaykay3 » Mon Jan 04 11:22 pm

puckluck wrote:I was wondering about Isaac Johnson of Anoka earlier this year and see he apparently had a good showing at the Schwan Cup this past weekend. Is he committed anywhere and i just missed it and if not, curious if anyone knows who may be in the running/interested?

Also wondering about Ethan Johnson from Thief. I was impressed when i saw him earlier this year. Anyone know if he's in the mix for somewhere?

Here's a list of who's committed where: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/22 ... ommitments

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Wed Jan 06 12:49 pm

Finnish World Junior champion Kasper Björkqvist has announced his intentions to play college hockey. He currently plays for the Espoo Blues U20 team, where he has 47 points in 30 games. I have no idea who's interested, but I liked what I saw from him at the tournament.

scubasteve2727
Rookie

Post by scubasteve2727 » Wed Jan 06 8:30 pm

Anyone know if we are interesting in him?

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Wed Jan 06 9:19 pm

scubasteve2727 wrote:Anyone know if we are interesting in him?

No clue. Common sense tells me other schools in the state are, so we might be as well for that reason.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Mon Jan 11 8:38 pm

Notre Dame strikes again as they get Jackson Perbix to commit

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Tue Jan 12 7:58 am

minnscout wrote:Notre Dame strikes again as they get Jackson Perbix to commit

Wait, I don't see that name on the Edina roster..... :confused2:

:wink:

puckluck
Rookie

Post by puckluck » Tue Jan 12 8:02 am

minnscout wrote:Notre Dame strikes again as they get Jackson Perbix to commit

Just heard this is well. Good for Jack, I'm happy for him but I was so hoping that he ended up a gopher... It was pretty obvious though that he would end up at ND given his interest and ties.

cypressmills
Rookie

Post by cypressmills » Wed Jan 13 8:03 pm

kid comprisable wrote:May have already been mentioned, but Liam pecararo is a guy minnesota appears to be interested in.

Off to Northeastern.
Last edited by cypressmills on Wed Jan 13 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jan 13 8:08 pm

cypressmills wrote:

Off to Northestern.

I so badly want an Andy Dwyer, "Or is he?" meme to respond with...
Currently under construction.