Committed Recruits Update Thread

Chat about current and future recruits...
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: Committed Recruits Update Thread

Post by Iceburg » Mon Jun 07 1:50 pm

There has never been “As the Lucius Turns”

:mrgreen:

Retired Thread Police

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 545 times

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 16 9:10 pm

Lucius is #7, Knies #31, Broz #87, Kurth #130. The common theme among these players is that Corey rated all of their skating below average.

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BlueBandit24 » Wed Jun 16 9:48 pm

He was not kind regarding their skating, though seems to have a favorable view overall. Important to note he bases it on NHL-level traits. Compete levels for all encouraging.

Zwak
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 231 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 16 10:23 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Wed Jun 16 9:48 pm
He was not kind regarding their skating, though seems to have a favorable view overall. Important to note he bases it on NHL-level traits. Compete levels for all encouraging.
I would love to watch a video or get better insights about a players skating ability. I’m not a great enough hockey mind to identify the good skaters from the not so good. @evegoe maybe a suggestion for The Athletic?
GPL's official source of trivia.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Thu Jun 17 12:14 am

Broz can wheel. At least he could at Blake.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jun 17 10:22 am

I'm not super concerned when I read comments on skating. There are myriad examples of players who aren't pretty on their skates #Parise who have made a career in the NHL.

Then you have guys like KK and Brodin, who are examples of players who can do pretty much anything on skates their positions demand of them. They are fun to watch.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 293 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jun 17 10:26 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jun 17 10:22 am
I'm not super concerned when I read comments on skating. There are myriad examples of players who aren't pretty on their skates #Parise who have made a career in the NHL.

Then you have guys like KK and Brodin, who are examples of players who can do pretty much anything on skates their positions demand of them. They are fun to watch.
Pronman is grading extremely critically (period) on all the players he rates…Broz is/was an outstanding skater his sophomore year at Blake & I’ve got to believe his skating has only improved since then. Lucius is an average skater, but he’s absolutely a pure goal scorer with an outstanding release & shot. CL will likely be around at the U for 2 years max.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 531 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jun 17 11:24 am

I'd take 3 or 4 Johnny Pohls on my college roster every damn time.
Currently under construction.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Jun 17 11:26 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jun 16 10:23 pm
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Wed Jun 16 9:48 pm
I would love to watch a video or get better insights about a players skating ability. I’m not a great enough hockey mind to identify the good skaters from the not so good. @evegoe maybe a suggestion for The Athletic?
Scott Wheeler put together a good little article last year on the topic.

https://theathletic.com/1719126/2020/04 ... 20-update/
Skating: This includes how light or heavy he is on his blades (some players really dig their skates into the ice before releasing into their push, while others have that quick twitch we see in sprinters and can look like they’re hovering), his top speed (less important these days), his first few steps, his acceleration through to his top, his balance/centre of gravity, the fluidity of his movements, his lateral edge work, his ability to maintain rather than lose speed with possession of the puck, how far he can extend/lean on his edges while skating backwards in order to close gaps quickly, his ability to pivot without catching an edge, whether his feet drag (a lot of young players drag the toe of their blade because they’re rushing their stride), if he doesn’t drag his toes whether he lifts more than a few inches off the ice (many young players who don’t drag their blades overcompensate with a choppy up and down motion), and his ability to go heel-to-heel (leaning on inside edges to dodge checks and shuffle around defenders or the net on wraparounds). The two most efficient strides: Long, fluid motions that give straightaway speed or tight, explosive edge work to create a rounded, agile skater. Both have their place and can be beneficial, but I prefer a player who can move laterally on his edges than one who can explode down the boards with a longer stride. In today’s game, I believe changing tempo is now more important than top speed.
Video can be complicated to get a good grasp of skating as the quality really needs to be premium to get a good feel for it.

I think it can be somewhat easy to see guys who reach a high level of speed and can pull away from the pack to create breakaways -- Sammy Walker. He's got great acceleration, you don't see him caught very often and he's probably really balanced on his edges gliding. Someone like Ben Brinkman on the other hand has heavier feet and is fine once he gets going, but is probably on his edges a lot more with his glide. Also a player like Zach Parise seems like he gets around fine, but it takes him a lot of motion and effort from my perspective.

Looking at edgework for guys like Ryan Johnson is a great example of someone who has the four way mobility that scouts like in a defenseman. He is incredibly fluid adjusting to where he needs to move and gets there without making it look difficult. Jonas Brodin is probably the elite example of this. They're able to cut off attackers easily and keep a good gap.

I think you also look at the power skaters posses when they're moving on the ice and ability to skate through contact. Evaluating someone like Sampo Ranta shows you how dominant a player can be at controlling the puck and moving at high speed through contact. He has a powerful base to his skating with good knee bend. A flip side might be Casey Mittlestadt who was good in space and being creative, but he struggled with contact and powering through situations like those.

Looking at some of a forward's abiity to move laterally and create opportunities through change of pace are really important. Connor McDavid can go end to end, but what makes him so dangerous is his ability to cut across the ice, change speeds and manipulate gaps. Phil Kessel was one of the best Gophers I've seen in this area--almost untouchable coming up the ice on the big sheet with the puck on entries.

Maybe I can convice Wheeler to do something like this ahead of the draft as I agree skating is often talked about with prospects, but it's not always detailed well with video. I think the quality has something to do with it though as you'd like to find an iso camera in slow-mo to really show it.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Jun 17 1:45 pm

What's funny is that Pronman did a piece that talked about most important attribute and overrated attribute for prospects.

https://theathletic.com/1713400/2020/04 ... evaluation

The results were 16% thought it was the most important one and 18% said it was the most overrated. I think hockey sense and compete and character are the trinity, although if you don't have enough skating or skill, then it doesn't matter much.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jun 17 3:12 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Jun 17 1:45 pm
What's funny is that Pronman did a piece that talked about most important attribute and overrated attribute for prospects.

The results were 16% thought it was the most important one and 18% said it was the most overrated. I think hockey sense and compete and character are the trinity, although if you don't have enough skating or skill, then it doesn't matter much.
The NHL's best ever player: Fastest? Nope. Best skater? Nope. Best shot? Nope. But his hockey IQ was off the charts.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jun 17 3:20 pm

Most players that reach the NHL can skate - even the plodders. However there's a lot more that goes into including (some of these may overlap) are hockey sense, hands, vision, shot, passing ability, leadership, work ethic, hustle, durability, stamina...

I don't think anyone would confuse Phil Kessel as being the greatest skater, but he's one tough sonofabitch to knock off the puck, he has an innate ability to be at the right place at the right time and as previously noted a shot from hell.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Thu Jun 17 3:50 pm

Oh and the 5th forward in this years freshman class is Pitlick who can flat out fly. So not too worried

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jun 17 4:21 pm

Agreed. I don't worry too much about who is or is not fast as long as the Gophers have a good mix.

Davey J.
Veteran
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Davey J. » Fri Jun 18 1:13 am

Edge work and IQ are WAY more important than A - B speed!

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by D2D » Fri Jun 18 11:52 am

D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Jun 18 11:15 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Jun 17 1:45 pm

He spoke about this on the today’s Hockey Show podcast also. Sounds like he took some heat for being so critical of players skating (Beniers as average feels overly critical to me) He said vast majority of guys he see’s not be able to improve skating, and you only hear about those that do.

At time of commitment, it seemed most felt Luke Mittelstadt had best pro potential of all D in the state. Jack Peart has really flown by him over last 2 years. Hopefully Mittelstadt can have a strong year in USHL next year and be ready to make an impact following year.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jun 19 12:07 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jun 17 4:21 pm
Agreed. I don't worry too much about who is or is not fast as long as the Gophers have a good mix.
Honestly, the whole speed thing is so overrated that it doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny. There's a huge list of elite NHL players who can't distinguish themselves with speed. The key is to skate well enough at that level so as not to disrupt the flow of the game. There's no waiting at the blue line for the slow guy.

Joel Otto is a classic example of this type of player. When he got to college, his coach deadpanned that he skated like a newborn colt. Then he went on to become an NHL all star and Olympic player.

Then there's flat out desire. As Glen Sonmor said about Johnny Pohl after he scored against CC in the regional game: (paraphrasing) "People say Johnny Pohl can't skate, but I've never seen anybody yet catch him on a breakaway."

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jun 19 5:53 pm

Speed matters to a certain point. You're not going to win with a team full of plodders, but you don't the majority of your roster to be lightning quick either.

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Tue Jun 22 3:55 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 16 9:10 pm
Lucius is #7, Knies #31, Broz #87, Kurth #130.
Scott Wheeler released his Top 100 today:

Lucius #8
Broz #45
Knies #75
Mittelstaedt #97

Scout quote very high on Mittelstaedt. Felt HS hockey held back development. Said raw talent above Peart (not better overall).

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jun 22 4:22 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Tue Jun 22 3:55 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 16 9:10 pm
Lucius is #7, Knies #31, Broz #87, Kurth #130.
Scott Wheeler released his Top 100 today:

Lucius #8
Broz #45
Knies #75
Mittelstaedt #97

Scout quote very high on Mittelstaedt. Felt HS hockey held back development. Said raw talent above Peart (not better overall).
Lucius seems to be top 10 in most projections and Knies and Broz have huge swings in projections.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jun 25 9:23 pm

Kurth on USHL 2nd team all rookie.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 30 7:55 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 01 3:38 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 06 2:28 pm

Some quotes about Lucius and Knies in this article. from scouts. The readers digest version from me-- Scouts seem to think Lucius will end up a winger. His skating is the issue. Knies-- Has good hands, can score goals. More of a north-south player.

SkiUMah
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by SkiUMah » Tue Jul 13 6:34 pm

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Tue Jul 13 6:43 pm

Like many, I thought they'd add an older recruit on defense to complement Mittelstaedt/Chesley next year as they look to replace a good number on the blue line. This of course does not preclude them from doing so but did not expect a high school d-man. Going into senior year at St. Cloud. Anyone know much about him?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 13 6:46 pm

17 year old defenseman who played high school in St Cloud. Finished the year with Whioux Falls Stampede in the USHL. Son of former CC captain Eric Rud, who is on the Miami staff.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 249 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jul 13 8:05 pm

This kid's dad captained Don Lucia teams. Kind of fun.

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Jul 16 12:14 pm

Story on him from earlier this year. Sounds like a solid get by the staff.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/meet-the ... eds-to-see

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 16 12:22 pm

Cardinal wrote:
Fri Jul 16 12:14 pm

Story on him from earlier this year. Sounds like a solid get by the staff.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/meet-the ... eds-to-see
Longest last name in Gopher Hockey history?

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Fri Jul 16 12:31 pm

Curious if this means Pichora is no longer in their plans. Would be a crowded depth chart with Boynton/Pichora/Bartoszkiewicz with none older than a sophomore.
Last edited by BlueBandit24 on Fri Jul 16 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jul 16 1:03 pm

So, did we just get commitments from the shortest and longest name in Gopher history in the same week?

Retired Thread Police

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Fri Jul 16 1:05 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Fri Jul 16 1:03 pm
So, did we just get commitments from the shortest and longest name in Gopher history in the same week?
Rud at least a tie with Kyle Rau. Has to be the longest name...

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jul 16 1:13 pm

A Michigan kid, here’s an ARTICLE with some background information.
“The Hockey News” wrote:(Barta-SKAY-vitch)
Whoops, Cardinal already had the article :oops:

Retired Thread Police

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jul 16 2:09 pm

He tells it like it is:

"I think I'm a 'money' goalie," Bartoszkiewicz said. "I make big saves when we need big saves. I'm crucial in the stressful moments and I can hold my team in it if we're down by a goal."

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Fri Jul 16 2:29 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2:09 pm
He tells it like it is:

"I think I'm a 'money' goalie," Bartoszkiewicz said. "I make big saves when we need big saves. I'm crucial in the stressful moments and I can hold my team in it if we're down by a goal."
Oh wow, I LOVE the confidence!

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Maize » Fri Jul 16 2:55 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Jul 16 12:22 pm
Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jul 16 4:16 pm

Maize wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2:55 pm
Zwak wrote:
Correct. Previous record, and I believe still longest first and last combined is Edward Hollingsworth who played in the late-20s/early-30s.
And before anyone asks, no I did not see Hollingsworth play.

Retired Thread Police

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Fri Jul 16 5:00 pm

Petition to call him Barty

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Jul 16 5:45 pm

https://www.wichitafallswarriors.com/go ... -minnesota
“I chose the Gophers because they have great facilities and their staff and coaches are just amazing along with the players. They are all super nice people, I couldn’t have asked for anything better”, said Bartoszkiewicz. The Michigan born player will be staying up north in a familiar area just a couple of states over to continue his hockey career. “When I was little my dad went to St. Cloud University and they were rivals against Minnesota and I just wanted to go against my dad and I fell in love with the Gophers. The gym, the rink, and the people there were amazing and I could see myself just working hard and being there everyday, all day”.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 16 7:50 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Fri Jul 16 4:16 pm
Maize wrote:
Zwak wrote:
We’d have asked GE first…even before George ;)
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Jul 16 10:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 16 7:50 pm
Iceburg wrote:
Fri Jul 16 4:16 pm
Maize wrote:
Zwak wrote:
We’d have asked GE first…even before George ;)
That GE… he’s no spring chicken.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Jul 17 1:14 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 12:31 pm
Curious if this means Pichora is no longer in their plans. Would be a crowded depth chart with Boynton/Pichora/Bartoszkiewicz with none older than a sophomore.
That’s not necessarily true. Pichora could be delayed to the 2023 season. Worst comes to worst we have 4 goalies (which has happened before) with him Boynton, Bart and Close.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Jul 17 1:17 am

Regardless, I like that there will be good competition for the crease in 2022. Whoever the coaches settle on will have big shoes to fill. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves of course, I think Laffer has a legit shot at the hobey this year!

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Sat Jul 17 11:02 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Sat Jul 17 1:14 am
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 12:31 pm
That’s not necessarily true. Pichora could be delayed to the 2023 season. Worst comes to worst we have 4 goalies (which has happened before) with him Boynton, Bart and Close.
You could very well be right...Pichora will only be 20 in 2023. Just kind of a logjam currently.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jul 19 11:39 am

Some final thoughts from Scott Wheeler on the draft.

Most underrated--
“Connor Kurth at Dubuque (Fighting Saints),” said one source of NHL Central Scouting’s 220th-ranked North American skater, who is committed to the University of Minnesota. “He’s producing in the USHL as a late 2003. Reminds me of Matt Hendricks. I could see him carving out a role in the NHL. He’s a sandpaper guy with skill.”

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Mon Jul 19 4:12 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Jul 19 11:39 am
Some final thoughts from Scott Wheeler on the draft.

Most underrated--
“Connor Kurth at Dubuque (Fighting Saints),” said one source of NHL Central Scouting’s 220th-ranked North American skater, who is committed to the University of Minnesota. “He’s producing in the USHL as a late 2003. Reminds me of Matt Hendricks. I could see him carving out a role in the NHL. He’s a sandpaper guy with skill.”
But I thought sandpaper guys aren’t allowed within 5 miles of Gentry Academy

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Mon Jul 19 9:01 pm

Article about Lucius in the StarTribune

https://m.startribune.com/chaz-lucius-b ... 600079500/

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jul 21 4:21 pm

Owen Bartoszkiewicz, Wichita Falls (NAHL)
A personal favorite of Ryan Kennedy's, Bartoszkiewicz has a tendency to make big saves exactly when his team needs him to – he even refers to himself as a "Money Goalie". He has good size for an NHL prospect and never seems to give up on a play with what scouts describe to be a high compete level. Bartoszkiewicz got most of the starts for the expansion Warriors and was the easy choice for the NAHL's south goalie and rookie of the year awards. Bartoszkiewicz recently committed to play Division I for the University of Minnesota and after a few years of further conditioning, he'll put himself into NHL contention.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 23 11:34 am

Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

https://theathletic.com/2722512/2021/07 ... =twitterhq

14. Philadelphia: Chaz Lucius, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 497 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 23 3:04 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Jul 23 11:34 am
Latest mock draft from Cory Pronman at The Athletic has Lucius going 14th to Philadelphia.

Teams around the league think Philly will go Lucius or Sillinger depending on which is available. Lucius will be an interesting one, as some scouts think he’s a top-13 lock and some think he can get to around 20.
I would love to see him drop to the Wild. A scoring center sounds nice.

Jaykay3
Veteran
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jaykay3 » Fri Jul 23 3:08 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 3:04 pm
Zwak wrote:

He won't be a center in the NHL.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 23 3:09 pm

Jaykay3 wrote:
Fri Jul 23 3:08 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Zwak wrote:

Why?

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Fri Jul 23 3:59 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 3:09 pm
Jaykay3 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Zwak wrote:

Why?
He might not be a center in college. Skating is the main “concern” if you can even call it that. Mostly his game just suits the wing position better. Can get set up by a speedy center and bury the biscuit.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Fri Jul 23 4:04 pm

Zwak wrote:

This pick is now owned by buffalo so maybe he joins Casey???😄

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 23 4:45 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:04 pm
Zwak wrote:

This pick is now owned by buffalo so maybe he joins Casey???😄
That would be delicious :lol: …thirty-four likely goes anti Lucius by association thou… :ahhh:

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Fri Jul 23 5:01 pm

Just guessing Gopher recruit/round drafted:

Lucius (Round 1)
Knies (Round 2)
Broz (Round 3)
Kurth (Round 5)
Lamb (Round 6)
Mittelstaedt (Round 6)
Bartoskiewicz (Round 6)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 23 7:44 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Jul 23 3:59 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Jaykay3 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Zwak wrote:

Why?
He might not be a center in college. Skating is the main “concern” if you can even call it that. Mostly his game just suits the wing position better. Can get set up by a speedy center and bury the biscuit.
I am not at all doubting you. I know speed isn’t his game and players change positions when they get to the college/pro levels.

But Koivu didn’t exactly have fire shooting out of his butt and played an awfully long time at that position.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 23 7:56 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 7:44 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Jul 23 3:59 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Jaykay3 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Zwak wrote:

Why?
I am not at all doubting you. I know speed isn’t his game and players change positions when they get to the college/pro levels.

But Koivu didn’t exactly have fire shooting out of his butt and played an awfully long time at that position.
Same can be said for Vanek at wing :wink: :biggrin2:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 23 9:02 pm

Are we getting to the "something to prove" or "chip on the shoulder" part of the Lucius waiting to get drafted?

Edit... Well there he goes to the Peg
Last edited by frozen4champs on Fri Jul 23 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 23 9:04 pm

Lucius to the Jets!

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Sat Jul 24 9:18 am

FWIW, Scott Wheeler described Lucius as a "natural pivot" in his draft recap.

Unrelated but he was very complimentary of the Wild's draft as well.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Sat Jul 24 10:35 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Sat Jul 24 9:18 am

Before 2nd round started he had Knies as the 8th best prospect still available

8. Matthew Knies, LW, Tri-City-USHL
Oct. 17, 2002 | 6-foot-3 | 210 pounds

Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Below-average
Compete: Above-average
Shot: Below-average

Knies had a great underage season but his draft season was a struggle to produce as much offense as expected. Despite his mediocre point totals (42 points in 44 games) I still see a very talented player and he was an important player for a top USHL team in all situations. I see a 6-foot-3 forward with great hands who can beat defenders clean with skill. I debated his sense being listed as “average” or “below-average.” I’ve seen enough plays from him, particularly as an underage, to say he can see the ice, but this past season made me question his sense at times and his puck decisions. His game lacks finish as well, although he went on a big goal scoring tear to end the season. Knies works hard on the ice, winning a lot of battles, killing penalties and taking pucks to the net. His skating isn’t the best and will lack the ability to separate at the NHL level. In a sentence, Knies projects as an NHL two-way middle-six winger.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jul 24 11:38 am

Knies goes to Toronto with pick 57
Broz goes #58 to the Pens.
Back to Back 2nd rounders

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jul 24 11:56 am

Zwak wrote:
Sat Jul 24 10:35 am
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Sat Jul 24 9:18 am

Before 2nd round started he had Knies as the 8th best prospect still available

8. Matthew Knies, LW, Tri-City-USHL
Oct. 17, 2002 | 6-foot-3 | 210 pounds

Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Below-average
Compete: Above-average
Shot: Below-average

Knies had a great underage season but his draft season was a struggle to produce as much offense as expected. Despite his mediocre point totals (42 points in 44 games) I still see a very talented player and he was an important player for a top USHL team in all situations. I see a 6-foot-3 forward with great hands who can beat defenders clean with skill. I debated his sense being listed as “average” or “below-average.” I’ve seen enough plays from him, particularly as an underage, to say he can see the ice, but this past season made me question his sense at times and his puck decisions. His game lacks finish as well, although he went on a big goal scoring tear to end the season. Knies works hard on the ice, winning a lot of battles, killing penalties and taking pucks to the net. His skating isn’t the best and will lack the ability to separate at the NHL level. In a sentence, Knies projects as an NHL two-way middle-six winger.
He rates him below average in 3 of 5 categories, but sees him as a 2nd rounder….. :confused2:

What does a 4th round prospect look like? Yikes.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Jul 24 11:59 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jul 24 11:38 am
I like Broz & think he will fit in well (eventually) on the 🐧 👍

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jul 24 12:18 pm

Comments about the 2nd rounders from tBob

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jul 24 12:39 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Jul 24 11:59 am
frozen4champs wrote:
I love this breakdown of Broz by a Pens writer. The third note is great.

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden

Post by BlueBandit24 » Sat Jul 24 1:57 pm

Brody Lamb to the Rangers in the early 4th round.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Jul 24 2:01 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Sat Jul 24 1:57 pm
Brody Lamb to the Rangers in the early 4th round.
Wayyyyy earlier than most were expecting

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Jul 25 7:38 am

Video media Q & A with Knies.
A few takeaways--
Had covid early in the USHL year
Shane Doan was his coach when he was young
Has worked out with Matthews in the off season

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Jul 25 5:39 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Jul 24 11:59 am
frozen4champs wrote:
A lot of the penguins writers had good things to say about his game, excited to see him play for the gophers next year.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by D2D » Tue Jul 27 3:55 pm

Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we'll be at least a little older, on average this year.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

maroon_and_gold
Veteran

Post by maroon_and_gold » Tue Jul 27 4:02 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue Jul 27 3:55 pm
Has anyone calculated what the average age of rostered players will be this coming season vs. last year? We all know the importance of experience and I assume we'll be at least a little older, on average this year.
Huglen, Pitlick and Boynton are older. Lucius, Knies and Broz are 18 I believe. We also add an old transfer in Cruikshank though.