Committed Recruits Update Thread

Chat about current and future recruits...
cypressmills
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Committed Recruits Update Thread

Post by cypressmills » Fri Nov 22 6:20 pm

No surprise, but Koster and Faber coming in next year.

overtheboards
Rookie
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by overtheboards » Fri Nov 22 6:32 pm

Boltmann and Williams looking really sharp tonight for Edina against Maple Grove

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Nov 22 8:44 pm

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 22 9:59 pm

jesus
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Nov 22 10:55 pm

Broz starting to pick up the production for Fargo. Looks like he won’t be playing for Blake this year after all??

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Sat Nov 23 8:23 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Nov 22 10:55 pm
Broz starting to pick up the production for Fargo. Looks like he won’t be playing for Blake this year after all??
Yeah think that ship has sailed which is good because this is around when he should start to break out for them

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 23 10:27 am

Most goals scored U17:
15-16: Mismash - 23
16-17: Farabee - 17
17-18: Caufield - 44
18-19: Smilanic - 20
19-20: Lucius - 23. In 22 games...
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

mlhouse
Rookie
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mlhouse » Sat Nov 23 10:39 am

Davey J. wrote:
Fri Nov 22 4:08 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Nov 22 11:17 am
Davey J. wrote:
Fri Nov 22 10:56 am
overtheboards wrote:
Fri Nov 22 9:11 am
Gopher Fan 26 wrote:
Thu Nov 21 10:58 pm
Rank our '01 commits:
Pitlick (Feb '01)
Huglen (Mar '01)
Norman (Mar '01)
Braccini (Jul '01)
Pinoniemi (Jul '01)
Warner (Sept '01)
Mittelstadt (Oct '01)

Mine would be Pitlick>Huglen>Braccini>Warner>Mittelstadt>Pino>Norman

Seems like the common perception is that Norman will be moving on eventually (1 assist in 8 NAHL games this season) but does anyone expect Pinoniemi to turn into a productive college player? I've never really understood what people see in him. 1 assist in 12 games in the USHL this fall before returning to HF. He definitely doesn't project as a lower line guy but maybe he ends up doing two full years in the USHL before coming in. Also curious what people think of Warner as a prospect, after missing a lot of time last year with an injury.
I need to see Braccini some more but you've basically got my perception of them lined up in the right order. Huglen will be a ? with this injury. I really liked what I saw of Warner last winter, played with a lot of engagement, offense seems to be there. Don't think I saw him do a ton of damage against any top level teams though, similar situation with Pinoniemi. I think a key for Motzko is going to be getting these guys like Warner and Pinoniemi to hang in junior like Meyers did until they age out and/or dominate there, even if it means the BCHL or something for a year then USHL full time
The more stuff like this happens, the less I love college hockey...and that's very sad for me to admit because I have been a passionate Gopher Hockey fan since the mid 70s. Getting excited about/having players like Ben Meyers, who is a 21 year old freshman, is ridiculous! For me, this crap has more to do with me losing interest in the program than the Big 10 does...by a mile!
It’s simply the way it “is” in 2019. Ben Meyers is contributing. The Gophers need to get older to compete.
It’s a complete joke and college hockey should be embarrassed about it!
This has been going on for years and the Gophers have always lagged in this area.

I personally believe that incoming freshman should be under 20 years old to compete on D1 hockey scholarship. It isn't even a matter of competition in my opinion, it is a that the players should be student athletes and should be part of their college class. One reason I hold this firmly is an anecdotal incident that happened to a daughter of a friend of mine. People got mad because I raised this point before but the athletic department should not be bringing in over age freshman.

Although it will never happen because there is corrupt money to be made and value created on every end, I personally would like to see college athletics stop being the minor league systems for professional sports. This doesn't factor into college hockey as much as it does football and basketball because professional hockey has minor league systems, but it is still a factor. The way to change it for all sports is to increase the academic standards for athletic scholarship across the board, making the athlete be a true student athlete.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Nov 23 1:00 pm

Motzko needs to operate under the current reality of the sport rather than some ideal version people hope happens. In which case you're going to need to have some guys with junior experience and those guys are going to be on the older side generally.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Sat Nov 23 1:32 pm

mlhouse wrote:
Sat Nov 23 10:39 am
Davey J. wrote:
Fri Nov 22 4:08 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Nov 22 11:17 am
Davey J. wrote:
Fri Nov 22 10:56 am
overtheboards wrote:
Fri Nov 22 9:11 am
Gopher Fan 26 wrote:
Thu Nov 21 10:58 pm
Rank our '01 commits:
Pitlick (Feb '01)
Huglen (Mar '01)
Norman (Mar '01)
Braccini (Jul '01)
Pinoniemi (Jul '01)
Warner (Sept '01)
Mittelstadt (Oct '01)

Mine would be Pitlick>Huglen>Braccini>Warner>Mittelstadt>Pino>Norman

Seems like the common perception is that Norman will be moving on eventually (1 assist in 8 NAHL games this season) but does anyone expect Pinoniemi to turn into a productive college player? I've never really understood what people see in him. 1 assist in 12 games in the USHL this fall before returning to HF. He definitely doesn't project as a lower line guy but maybe he ends up doing two full years in the USHL before coming in. Also curious what people think of Warner as a prospect, after missing a lot of time last year with an injury.
I need to see Braccini some more but you've basically got my perception of them lined up in the right order. Huglen will be a ? with this injury. I really liked what I saw of Warner last winter, played with a lot of engagement, offense seems to be there. Don't think I saw him do a ton of damage against any top level teams though, similar situation with Pinoniemi. I think a key for Motzko is going to be getting these guys like Warner and Pinoniemi to hang in junior like Meyers did until they age out and/or dominate there, even if it means the BCHL or something for a year then USHL full time
The more stuff like this happens, the less I love college hockey...and that's very sad for me to admit because I have been a passionate Gopher Hockey fan since the mid 70s. Getting excited about/having players like Ben Meyers, who is a 21 year old freshman, is ridiculous! For me, this crap has more to do with me losing interest in the program than the Big 10 does...by a mile!
It’s simply the way it “is” in 2019. Ben Meyers is contributing. The Gophers need to get older to compete.
It’s a complete joke and college hockey should be embarrassed about it!
This has been going on for years and the Gophers have always lagged in this area.

I personally believe that incoming freshman should be under 20 years old to compete on D1 hockey scholarship. It isn't even a matter of competition in my opinion, it is a that the players should be student athletes and should be part of their college class. One reason I hold this firmly is an anecdotal incident that happened to a daughter of a friend of mine. People got mad because I raised this point before but the athletic department should not be bringing in over age freshman.

Although it will never happen because there is corrupt money to be made and value created on every end, I personally would like to see college athletics stop being the minor league systems for professional sports. This doesn't factor into college hockey as much as it does football and basketball because professional hockey has minor league systems, but it is still a factor. The way to change it for all sports is to increase the academic standards for athletic scholarship across the board, making the athlete be a true student athlete.
While I get what you are talking about I don't think it is as big of an issue as you are making it out to be. I actually think it's a lot worse in D3 where it really is supposed to be about "student athletes" due to no pro potential but often becomes all the also-ran types who couldn't cut it, you then have 20-person freshman classes for some D3 teams where over half have aged out. And there is no pro hockey or other competitive aspect keeping things honest it's just the end of the road for the most part. No way would this happen at D1 level especially considering college sports have become the arms race that they are. Nothing to do with corruption the way I see it... just can't imagine a school being like "let's make our athletic product less competitive, yes, that's what we need to do". These schools compete for everything, good professors, students.. high level D1 athletics is a great way to promote the school, keep alumni/students engaged

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 338 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 23 2:06 pm

If they're playing college hockey they're a student athlete no matter their age.
Currently under construction.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Nov 24 12:27 pm

overtheboards wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:23 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Yeah think that ship has sailed which is good because this is around when he should start to break out for them
Pinoniemi also staying USHL??

DreamLoss
Been liked: 5 times

Post by DreamLoss » Sun Nov 24 1:31 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Nov 24 12:27 pm
overtheboards wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:23 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Pinoniemi also staying USHL??
He's not currently listed on the HF roster & played for the Stampede last night so I'd assume so.

Davey J.
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times

Post by Davey J. » Mon Nov 25 2:34 pm

It is so stinking simple to fix! Once a student-athlete graduates high school, they (should only) have 5 years to use up their college eligibility. If they want to spend 3 of those years playing Jrs, so be it...but they would only be allowed to play 2 years of college hockey.

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Mon Nov 25 2:56 pm

Forgive the triple post above - not sure how that happened.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 25 3:13 pm

Davey J. wrote:
Mon Nov 25 2:56 pm
Forgive the triple post above - not sure how that happened.
It's apparently not so stinking simple.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Mon Nov 25 8:35 pm

"Meet the 2019 Star Tribune All-Metro first-team defense"

Jake Ratzlaff
School: Rosemount
Grade: Junior
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195
Position: Defensive back

Verbally committed to play hockey for the Gophers but also weighing football offers from Iowa and Wisconsin. Posted 126 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and four pass breakups.

Retired Thread Police

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Nov 26 6:26 am

Davey J. wrote:
Mon Nov 25 2:34 pm
It is so stinking simple to fix! Once a student-athlete graduates high school, they (should only) have 5 years to use up their college eligibility. If they want to spend 3 of those years playing Jrs, so be it...but they would only be allowed to play 2 years of college hockey.
Ok - so let's say for some reason a kid wants to go do a 2 year mission or something else like serve his country in the Armed Forces for a couple years. He/She should lose eligibility? There are a couple other scenarios I could add to this too.

It isn't simple to fix.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Tue Nov 26 7:36 am

davescharf wrote:
Tue Nov 26 6:26 am
Davey J. wrote:
Ok - so let's say for some reason a kid wants to go do a 2 year mission or something else like serve his country in the Armed Forces for a couple years. He/She should lose eligibility? There are a couple other scenarios I could add to this too.

It isn't simple to fix.
Yes, there would be language involved to handle special circumstances, but the vast majority of student-athletes would be covered by the very simple 5 year rule.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Laxref » Tue Nov 26 8:37 am

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but today’s strib says that Ratzlaff is considering playing football for Iowa or Wisconsin.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Tue Nov 26 8:42 am

Iceburg wrote:
Mon Nov 25 8:35 pm
"Meet the 2019 Star Tribune All-Metro first-team defense"

Jake Ratzlaff
School: Rosemount
Grade: Junior
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195
Position: Defensive back

Verbally committed to play hockey for the Gophers but also weighing football offers from Iowa and Wisconsin. Posted 126 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and four pass breakups.

Cardinal
Golden
Golden

Post by Cardinal » Tue Nov 26 11:10 am

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Tue Nov 26 10:38 pm

Didn't see this posted before when Nate Warner's name came up, but apparently he had surgery on his other shoulder recently and will be out for awhile. Surgery on both shoulders in the last year or so. Pretty rough, hopefully it doesn't have long term effects.

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Thu Nov 28 8:05 pm

Davey J. wrote:
It's not that simple

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Orion » Thu Nov 28 10:02 pm

overtheboards wrote:
Thu Nov 28 8:05 pm
Davey J. wrote:
It's not that simple
Simple. Count Jr hockey the same as some of the Canadian leagues. A year playing Jr hockey is equal to one year of college eligibility. Go in the military or wonder the Earth for a year and you don't lose anything.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 28 10:03 pm

Just change the junior age limit to be a year less and get over it.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Fri Nov 29 11:54 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:03 pm
Just change the junior age limit to be a year less and get over it.
I’m ok with you being ok with 21 year old “freshmen.” I choose not to be as I think it’s a complete farce and the NCAA should be embarrassed by it.

The argument for older players held a lot more water 20-100 years ago when the 3 Ms produced the vast majority of U.S. born college hockey players. Schools not from one of those 3 states needed to bring 25 year old Canadians just to complete. But, the hockey world is way different today. The crop of players available is limitless and global and kids don’t grow up bleeding the local school’s colors anymore. The competitive balance is no longer dependent on this culture. Period.

What I don’t understand is how a 25 year old playing college hockey can even feel good about themselves...or how can their parents even get excited about it? I just don’t get it...

Get over it if you choose, I’ll respect you just the same...but I will probably never, ever understand.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 12:11 pm

If they lower the junior age there won't be 21 year old freshman. That's why I said that. 21 yo freshmen is stupid.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Fri Nov 29 7:56 pm

Orion wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:02 pm
overtheboards wrote:
Thu Nov 28 8:05 pm
Davey J. wrote:
It's not that simple
Simple. Count Jr hockey the same as some of the Canadian leagues. A year playing Jr hockey is equal to one year of college eligibility. Go in the military or wonder the Earth for a year and you don't lose anything.
would be great for the gophers (in theory) but have to wonder if even 20 other schools would agree with said change.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Nov 30 8:49 pm

Cardinal
Golden
Golden

Post by Cardinal » Sat Nov 30 8:52 pm

Two more goals for Nevers so far tonight, up to 17 points in 21 games. Hopefully things fall right and he plays another USHL season after this, hitting campus as a 20-year-old in 2021.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Nov 30 9:23 pm

Cardinal wrote:
Sat Nov 30 8:52 pm
Two more goals for Nevers so far tonight, up to 17 points in 21 games. Hopefully things fall right and he plays another USHL season after this, hitting campus as a 20-year-old in 2021.
Now with the hatty.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sat Nov 30 10:48 pm

Koster was minus 3 tonight, minus 9 for season. Tri city having a tough season, hopefully he can help turn it around soon.

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Sun Dec 01 10:18 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 10:48 pm
Koster was minus 3 tonight, minus 9 for season. Tri city having a tough season, hopefully he can help turn it around soon.
at least Pitlick is looking good for muskegon so far. A lot of point nights last season in MNHS for both guys, Koster will probably need some more time considering the late start and the fact that he is not 'the guy' for TC like Pitlick has been w OMA/MUS

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Wed Dec 04 10:16 am

overtheboards wrote:
Sat Nov 23 1:32 pm

While I get what you are talking about I don't think it is as big of an issue as you are making it out to be. I actually think it's a lot worse in D3 where it really is supposed to be about "student athletes" due to no pro potential but often becomes all the also-ran types who couldn't cut it, you then have 20-person freshman classes for some D3 teams where over half have aged out. And there is no pro hockey or other competitive aspect keeping things honest it's just the end of the road for the most part. No way would this happen at D1 level especially considering college sports have become the arms race that they are. Nothing to do with corruption the way I see it... just can't imagine a school being like "let's make our athletic product less competitive, yes, that's what we need to do". These schools compete for everything, good professors, students.. high level D1 athletics is a great way to promote the school, keep alumni/students engaged
1. The same freshman age rules would apply to D3 teams.

2. Changing the freshman age rules ends the arms race.

3. If the age rules were NCAA rules, while the players would be younger and "less competitive", the level of competition would decline across the board.

4. Lowering the freshman entry age would, without a doubt, increase the number of players that stay in college and increase the length of their college careers.

5. That D1 athletics are used in such a way to promote schools is an example of the corruption I talk about. Believe it or not, college sports were even more big time before television and big time money...... College football used to be a much bigger venue than pro football by a wide margin.

It is just my opinion, but ALL NCAA sports should have age restrictions for incoming athletes. I would argue that to be eligible as a freshman for NCAA athletic events, a student must be admitted and beginning attending the school prior to the age of 19.5 year. A student can start later, but they would lose eligibility i.e. if you start at age 20 you are a sophomore. There could be certain exemptions and waivers. For example a waiver for military service ala Richard Coffey.

What has happened, particularly in college hockey, is that the coaches have forgotten the mission of the program, the "student-athletes" are hockey players first and to be "competitive" teams are just waiting on the one or two- and done talents in their mission to win.

overtheboards
Rookie

Post by overtheboards » Wed Dec 04 2:47 pm

mlhouse wrote:
Wed Dec 04 10:16 am
overtheboards wrote:
Sat Nov 23 1:32 pm

3. If the age rules were NCAA rules, while the players would be younger and "less competitive", the level of competition would decline across the board.

4. Lowering the freshman entry age would, without a doubt, increase the number of players that stay in college and increase the length of their college careers.

5. That D1 athletics are used in such a way to promote schools is an example of the corruption I talk about. Believe it or not, college sports were even more big time before television and big time money...... College football used to be a much bigger venue than pro football by a wide margin.

It is just my opinion, but ALL NCAA sports should have age restrictions for incoming athletes. I would argue that to be eligible as a freshman for NCAA athletic events, a student must be admitted and beginning attending the school prior to the age of 19.5 year. A student can start later, but they would lose eligibility i.e. if you start at age 20 you are a sophomore. There could be certain exemptions and waivers. For example a waiver for military service ala Richard Coffey.

What has happened, particularly in college hockey, is that the coaches have forgotten the mission of the program, the "student-athletes" are hockey players first and to be "competitive" teams are just waiting on the one or two- and done talents in their mission to win.
I agree in a perfect world everyone comes in at 18, but we have to deal with the world that exists, not radically change the entire hockey landscape because some of college hockey's premier programs haven't been able to thrive in it.

Great.

How do you figure? Likely it would only intensify said arms race and I can't imagine the colleges would have agreed to this junior year recruiting situation if they didn't think they could get guys to play junior for 2-3 years. The arms race for talent isn't just in college hockey, the arms race is what college athletics and colleges themselves have been about for decades, competing for talent at every level, students, athletes, admins, teaching, research, etc..

Is this point attempting to argue why college hockey should enact this?

Is this provable? As far as I know college hockey does fairly well in this respect compared to other 'big' sports especially.

How is this provable ('big time' is not quantifiable - wouldn't 'big time money' be a part of that) and even if it were, I'm not sure what point you are making here? The fact that the schools use athletics to promote themselves and their brand is the least corrupt thing I've ever heard. As I've mentioned, they compete at every strata of the university's make-up from employees to students and athletes. The most logical thing for me is that they would want to promote a literal arena where wins and losses could be clearly displayed to the public whereas it is much harder to quantify the ability level and/or efficacy of a teaching staff for example, or the quality level of the student body. Student-athletes wearing the school uniform functions effectively as a proxy for that. Right or wrong, to me doesn't really apply. It is what it is. S-A's get free education for the most part and it's their choice to take part, and now that the ncaa has proven to be such a strong developmental route for future pro athletes in the different big sports, it benefits them in having a shot to become a pro as well. The only part that strikes me as improper here is that some universities generate a lot of money off of athletics which seems to have been made possible by being subsidized through a student body paying a rapidly increasing tuition, whereas it does not seem to work the other way (IE schools that make great money on sports using that to subsidize a drop in tuition -- something I never expect to see but would like to)

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Thu Dec 05 9:12 am

overtheboards wrote:
Wed Dec 04 2:47 pm

I agree in a perfect world everyone comes in at 18, but we have to deal with the world that exists, not radically change the entire hockey landscape because some of college hockey's premier programs haven't been able to thrive in it.

How do you figure? Likely it would only intensify said arms race and I can't imagine the colleges would have agreed to this junior year recruiting situation if they didn't think they could get guys to play junior for 2-3 years. The arms race for talent isn't just in college hockey, the arms race is what college athletics and colleges themselves have been about for decades, competing for talent at every level, students, athletes, admins, teaching, research, etc..

Is this point attempting to argue why college hockey should enact this?

Is this provable? As far as I know college hockey does fairly well in this respect compared to other 'big' sports especially.

How is this provable ('big time' is not quantifiable - wouldn't 'big time money' be a part of that) and even if it were, I'm not sure what point you are making here? The fact that the schools use athletics to promote themselves and their brand is the least corrupt thing I've ever heard. As I've mentioned, they compete at every strata of the university's make-up from employees to students and athletes. The most logical thing for me is that they would want to promote a literal arena where wins and losses could be clearly displayed to the public whereas it is much harder to quantify the ability level and/or efficacy of a teaching staff for example, or the quality level of the student body. Student-athletes wearing the school uniform functions effectively as a proxy for that. Right or wrong, to me doesn't really apply. It is what it is. S-A's get free education for the most part and it's their choice to take part, and now that the ncaa has proven to be such a strong developmental route for future pro athletes in the different big sports, it benefits them in having a shot to become a pro as well. The only part that strikes me as improper here is that some universities generate a lot of money off of athletics which seems to have been made possible by being subsidized through a student body paying a rapidly increasing tuition, whereas it does not seem to work the other way (IE schools that make great money on sports using that to subsidize a drop in tuition -- something I never expect to see but would like to)
1. The "arms' race would be limited because the availability of "weaponry" would be reduced. For college hockey, one of those weapons is the extended junior hockey route that leads players to NCAA programs as 21 year old freshmen and other similar options.

2. Asking if an opinion of something that doesn't exist is "provable" isn't much of a come back.

3. But, an opinion can be supported with argument. For example, if a college hockey player comes in as a "true" freshman the 18-20 year old development that happens in junior hockey will happen in the college level. As a freshman these players will not be as prepared to play professional hockey, and likewise for every class level. Pro teams look at 2 years of junior followed by 2-3 years of college as their minor league prep. Putting the age restriction on reduces the junior prep time and pushes out the college time. It is pretty clear. You still would have Casey Mittelstadts of the world being top 10 picks and just being one and dones.

4. The problem is that the athletes on most campuses aren't "student athletes", just athletes. The money corruption of the NCAA is such that they administrators crave the power so much they allow non-qualified students to attend college because they are athletes.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Dec 05 12:09 pm

I'm not a moderator but can we please get this back to talking about actual committed recruits.
GPL's official source of trivia.

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BlueBandit24 » Thu Dec 05 12:20 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 05 12:09 pm
I'm not a moderator but can we please get this back to talking about actual committed recruits.
Co-signed.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Dec 05 5:30 pm

Triplicate

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Dec 06 2:20 pm

Looks like Warner is back from injury. Now we just need a Huglen to get back in action.

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Fri Dec 06 2:49 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Dec 05 5:30 pm
Triplicate
You can’t triple stamp a double stamp

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by streakygopher » Fri Dec 06 3:13 pm

Whioux Suck wrote:
Fri Dec 06 2:49 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Dec 05 5:30 pm
Triplicate
You can’t triple stamp a double stamp
Sure you can. It becomes a sixple stamp. :wink:

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BlueBandit24 » Fri Dec 06 7:29 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Dec 06 2:20 pm
Looks like Warner is back from injury. Now we just need a Huglen to get back in action.
Only thing I can find on Huglen is it was a back injury suffered in an offseason workout. Kind of strange details are so hard to find. Hope he can get in some games in 2020.

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Fri Dec 06 7:38 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 05 12:09 pm
I get it, but one of the real problems of this forum is that the moderators really police the threads. If you start a new discussion they will move it (or bitch about it).

This is what it is, but I prefer forums that have lots of threads so if you are actually interested in the topic of "Changes in NCAA Freshman Eligibility Rules" you can go and read through the thread, comment or not, rather than having to go though every other discussion on the board.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Dec 06 7:40 pm

The moderators on here do not make themselves as obvious as most boards. Like a good referee, you shouldn't notice them.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Sat Dec 07 11:20 am

Anybody watch or seen Jack Jensen and Omaha lately? Wondering if he’s playing top 6/bottom 6, PP/PK or what’s the deal down there.

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sat Dec 07 1:08 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 11:20 am
Anybody watch or seen Jack Jensen and Omaha lately? Wondering if he’s playing top 6/bottom 6, PP/PK or what’s the deal down there.
Haven’t seen him play since first couple games of year. He just posted this.....
Attachments
DFC51E12-AD46-40A6-A0EE-66A670FEE464.jpeg

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 1:12 pm

We need at least two or three guys with multiple fights in juniors on the roster every year. Obviously guys that can also play hockey.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Davey J.
Veteran

Post by Davey J. » Sun Dec 08 1:17 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 1:12 pm
We need at least two or three guys with multiple fights in juniors on the roster every year. Obviously guys that can also play hockey.
I agree...as long as they don’t come in as 21 year old freshmen. :biggrin2:

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Dec 13 11:47 pm

How concerned should we be about Jack Jensen’s production in USHL? Zero goals in 28 career games, watching him at EP I didn’t think he would struggle so much with jump to juniors.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Dec 13 11:49 pm

Well...I think it’s safe to say Jack will be playing a second year of Juniors...

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by streakygopher » Sat Dec 14 1:20 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Dec 13 11:47 pm
How concerned should we be about Jack Jensen’s production in USHL? Zero goals in 28 career games, watching him at EP I didn’t think he would struggle so much with jump to juniors.
That's disappointing. He was a force at EP...good skater and pretty physical player. Possible that jumping into the USHL has negated the physical edge he had in high school. Classic case of a guy who was ahead of his class physically and flatlines after HS?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 14 1:33 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Dec 14 1:20 pm
glenhogan21 wrote:
Fri Dec 13 11:47 pm
That's disappointing. He was a force at EP...good skater and pretty physical player. Possible that jumping into the USHL has negated the physical edge he had in high school. Classic case of a guy who was ahead of his class physically and flatlines after HS?
Let's hope he can be like Jaxon Nelson, who had 2 not so great years in the USHL and then found something last year. I know Nelson was younger when he joined the USHL, but one can hope Jensen can figure it out in the year and a half.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 14 2:02 pm

When Jensen and Brinkman started playing varsity their trajectories if they kept developing looked like first round picks.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Sat Dec 14 2:18 pm

Jensen at least has the skillset to be a quality bottom six and penalty kill guy. Plenty of time to develop some scoring upside as well.

It’s always interesting to watch guys transitioning from HS to juniors. People on here were giving Bob flack when Nevers committed but now Nevers projects as a better college player than Jensen.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Dec 14 2:47 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2:02 pm
When Jensen and Brinkman started playing varsity their trajectories if they kept developing looked like first round picks.
I guess but it depends what exactly you’re expecting them to develop and how realistic it is. I can’t say I watched Brinkman in HS but if a lack of offensive ability and vision was a problem back then, like it is currently, then it’s not exactly shocking that he didn’t “develop” those skills later on because those are the kind of skills that probably would’ve taken at a younger age if they were ever to be developed. Looking at his stats in HS compared to someone like Koster and it’s not shocking that he isn’t doing much offensively in college (also he went straight from HS to college). I suppose it’s possible that he was recruited more for a defensive role or to stabilize a D pairing and be paired with someone more offensive minded but those guys tend to have less upside generally speaking and aren’t going to be picked in the first round.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 14 3:45 pm

If you saw him in 9th grade he looked like the next McDonagh.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sat Dec 14 4:02 pm

I agree, he did produce in highschool and elite league. I thought more offense would come this year and hasn’t happened. I don’t think he has elite vision, but has a nice shot and can rush pick up ice. Needs to be more assertive with puck.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 14 4:07 pm

When I say he looked like the next McDonagh in 9th grade, I also mean by 11th grade it was clear he wasn't.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Sat Dec 14 4:58 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2:47 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
I guess but it depends what exactly you’re expecting them to develop and how realistic it is. I can’t say I watched Brinkman in HS but if a lack of offensive ability and vision was a problem back then, like it is currently, then it’s not exactly shocking that he didn’t “develop” those skills later on because those are the kind of skills that probably would’ve taken at a younger age if they were ever to be developed. Looking at his stats in HS compared to someone like Koster and it’s not shocking that he isn’t doing much offensively in college (also he went straight from HS to college). I suppose it’s possible that he was recruited more for a defensive role or to stabilize a D pairing and be paired with someone more offensive minded but those guys tend to have less upside generally speaking and aren’t going to be picked in the first round.
I thought towards the end of last year that Brinkman and Nanne were looking like a decent pair.

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Sat Dec 14 5:17 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2:47 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Brinkman had one more point during his junior year than Jordan Gross did. But Gross spent the next two years in the USHL and Brinkman spent the next two in college. Not saying they are equivalent players but it makes you wonder how things would have turned out if the scenario was reversed.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Dec 14 5:38 pm

That’s a fair point. At this point my hope is that he can eventually be a solid shutdown Dman.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 14 7:00 pm

Lucius the only Gopher in the top 50 (t47th) in USHL points per game. Not great when offense is a major issue.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Sat Dec 14 7:28 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 14 7:00 pm
Lucius the only Gopher in the top 50 (t47th) in USHL points per game. Not great when offense is a major issue.

Lots of guys in too 50 that are available if we wanna snag 1 or 2....

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 338 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Dec 14 8:37 pm

Please don't quote Eeyore.
Currently under construction.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 14 8:41 pm

Ah someone with a differing opinion on a message board that likes to tell it like it is!
Sick of LOSERVILLE

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Thu Dec 19 5:16 pm

Winning is more important than being all-Minnesotan. —Grant Potulny

#FreeSadek 2015–16, #FreeNotermann 2016–17, #FreeRossini 2017–18, #FreeStucker 2018–19

Not a sieve, but rather, a funnel.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Dec 19 5:25 pm

outofstateoutofmind wrote:
Thu Dec 19 5:16 pm
16 year old forward from the Gentry Academy. Has 70 points in 20 games. USHL rights owned by Dubuque.

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Thu Dec 19 5:32 pm

Is he the 5th kid off of that 03 Gentry/Galaxy team to commit somewhere now?

glenhogan21
Veteran

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Dec 19 5:55 pm

Maddox Fleming can go ahead and commit any day now

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Thu Dec 19 6:24 pm

Kurth is an Elk River kid.

Retired Thread Police

younggopherdiehard
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by younggopherdiehard » Fri Dec 20 11:01 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Dec 19 5:55 pm
I know it’s been mentioned that we were in contact with him before the rule change, but I would think it will be awhile before he commits anywhere since we can’t have any contact with him for awhile.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Dec 20 11:17 am

younggopherdiehard wrote:
Fri Dec 20 11:01 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Dec 19 5:55 pm
I know it’s been mentioned that we were in contact with him before the rule change, but I would think it will be awhile before he commits anywhere since we can’t have any contact with him for awhile.
Something tells me MN isn’t the only school interested in recruiting him either.

Jaykay3
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Jaykay3 » Fri Dec 20 5:48 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Thu Dec 19 5:32 pm
Is he the 5th kid off of that 03 Gentry/Galaxy team to commit somewhere now?
Sixth I believe, both Lucius's and Kurth here, Harvey to BU, Martin to Miami, and Schimek to Providence.