Women's hockey

Talk about the Women's team.
gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Women's hockey

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Mar 07 8:39 pm

When is the last time we didn’t make a tournament?

Edit: looks like since 02 only missed in 07

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 205 times

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 07 8:43 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 07 8:16 pm
Thank goodness the Gopher men beat up on enough crappy teams to be safe from the smoky room BS.
Gopher women went 9-0 combined against St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji and Duluth. So they did very well against the "crappy teams". :roll: and 5th seeded UMD is certainly not a crappy team.
All of their other games were against Wisconsin and Ohio State where they went 2-8-1, including 0-8-1 against the BADgers. The terribly imbalanced schedule and poor performances against those two WCHA leaders is what killed them. That and the smoky room BS as you say...
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Mar 07 8:48 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Mar 07 8:43 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Thank goodness the Gopher men beat up on enough crappy teams to be safe from the smoky room BS.
Gopher women went 9-0 combined against St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji and Duluth. So they did very well against the "crappy teams". :roll: and 5th seeded UMD is certainly not a crappy team.
All of their other games were against Wisconsin and Ohio State where they went 2-8-1, including 0-8-1 against the BADgers. The terribly imbalanced schedule and poor performances against those two WCHA leaders is what killed them. That and the smoky room BS as you say...
I wasn't saying anything about the Women. They should be in. I was just saying we are lucky the men are safe (despite most of their wins against bad teams). Because now college hockey fans are expecting some absolute BS in the men's selections.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Mar 07 8:52 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 07 8:38 pm
I don't know if this is still current, or if they were the ones in the room:

This is from the NCAA 2020-21 Pre-championship Manual-
Section 1•2 National Committee
Current members of the committee are:
Anita Brenner, chair Deputy Director of Athletics/SWA Cornell University
Katie Crowley Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Boston College
Kate McAfee Associate Commissioner Hockey East Association
Josh Berlo Director of Athletics University of Minnesota Duluth
Paul Flanagan Head Women’s Ice Hockey coach Syracuse University
I think that's correct. The only WCHA rep was the UMD one.

Minnesota had better intra-conference RPI and Kratch than UMD.
The Gophers 8 losses were to only the #2 and #3 teams in the nation. They beat #3 twice and went 2-0 against #5.
Providence went 0-4 against Northeastern 2-1 against BC and lost to a 7-14 New Hampshire team and a 8-9 Maine team.

There is literally no explanation for this other than a complete BS line of well...we couldn't compare conferences this season so we had to be fair.

Which in even that case the Gophers should have gotten in over UMD. If I'm Frost I'm irate. They got utterly and completely screwed.

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Mar 07 8:54 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 07 8:48 pm
D2D wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
I wasn't saying anything about the Women. They should be in. I was just saying we are lucky the men are safe (despite most of their wins against bad teams). Because now college hockey fans are expecting some absolute BS in the men's selections.
Maybe or maybe not. The women's tournament has always been stupid--usually it's just about saving a buck so screwing over teams on matchups not keeping them out of the tournament.

But yeah, if you are on the bubble on the men's side, i don't think you can be confident at all.

AHABulldog
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by AHABulldog » Sun Mar 07 9:00 pm

The wildest thing to me is that if you’re going to give tUMD the #5 seed it’s because you’re assuming their league is pretty strong. If tUMD were to get the 6/7 you would have an easier argument to leave MN out (vice versa as well). But to give tUMD the 5, then place 2 other teams behind them is the thing that doesn’t make sense.

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Mar 07 9:07 pm

AHABulldog wrote:
Sun Mar 07 9:00 pm
The wildest thing to me is that if you’re going to give tUMD the #5 seed it’s because you’re assuming their league is pretty strong. If tUMD were to get the 6/7 you would have an easier argument to leave MN out (vice versa as well). But to give tUMD the 5, then place 2 other teams behind them is the thing that doesn’t make sense.
100%. There literally is no good argument for how the Gophers didn't get in. If it's that we couldn't compare the strength of conferences, well you just gave the WCHA 3 of the top 5 seeds including a team that had worse head to head metrics that a team you kept out. I think we can compare.

If it's Minnesota was worse than UMD, BC, and Providence, that's laughable. No bad losses, at least 4 good wins.

It's a joke they are out.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Mar 07 9:10 pm

I’m not going to pretend to know how it all went down, but I found this very sarcastic tweet to explain it all.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 07 10:01 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sun Mar 07 8:52 pm
Current members of the committee are:
Anita Brenner, chair Deputy Director of Athletics/SWA Cornell University
Katie Crowley Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Boston College
Kate McAfee Associate Commissioner Hockey East Association
Josh Berlo Director of Athletics University of Minnesota Duluth
Paul Flanagan Head Women’s Ice Hockey coach Syracuse University
This "committee" needs to be seriously overhauled. With 4 of 5 "members" from the East, including two coaches and the Hockey East commissioner on the committee, how can they be impartial? I would love to see how each member voted this time around. :roll:

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by JWG » Sun Mar 07 10:37 pm

If the goal was prove the value of the pairwise, they succeeded. I hope it is used forever.
JWG :M:

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 07 11:06 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Mar 07 10:37 pm
If the goal was prove the value of the pairwise, they succeeded. I hope it is used forever.
Of course with very few intra-conference games having been played this pandemic-struck season, the pairwise had no value. But going forward, assuming a return to normalcy, I couldn't agree more.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Mar 08 12:14 am

It basically feels like the committee said "Hey we can finally let somebody else into the tournament and not have to answer any questions about it!"

So Minnesota gets the shaft because they played two of the three best teams in the country 11 times (3 of the 5 best 13 times) but Duluth, who Minnesota beat 4-2 and 2-1 in their only two matchups, lost to and then needed OT to beat Bemidji, and played 7 games combined (going 2-5) against OSU/WI/MN is rewarded for beating up on the dregs of the league for 10 games.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 601 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 08 11:23 am

I guess it proves polls don't mean much (shrug)

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Mar 08 11:44 am

D2D wrote:
All of their other games were against Wisconsin and Ohio State where they went 2-8-1, including 0-8-1 against the BADgers.
Yes... Minnesota got hosed. But 0-8-1 against Wisconsin? A program like Minnesota shouldn't be winless against the BADgers in 9 tries. I get Wisconsin is good this year, but that's embarrassing. Win a game.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 628 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 08 11:47 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Mar 08 11:44 am
D2D wrote:
All of their other games were against Wisconsin and Ohio State where they went 2-8-1, including 0-8-1 against the BADgers.
Yes... Minnesota got hosed. But 0-8-1 against Wisconsin? A program like Minnesota shouldn't be winless against the BADgers in 9 tries. I get Wisconsin is good this year, but that's embarrassing. Win a game.
They did not lose 8 games to just UW, they lost to OSU as well.

Lancaster
Rookie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Lancaster » Mon Mar 08 12:23 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
D2D wrote:
(Gophers went 2-4 against Ohio State and 0-4-1 against Wisconsin.) I agree with you.

The Gophers need to be slapped upside the head. 5 straight years of Wisconsin being better than them? Ohio State in danger of overtaking them? 1-7-1 down the stretch against Ohio State and Wisconsin? It's hard to whine too much at the committee.

I felt the Gophers had a good roster and underperformed. Ohio State plays harder than they do.The Gophers had trouble playing as a team, and had trouble when they were playing well not making big mistakes during games that cost them. Goaltending ultimately was an issue also, but that's not yet the top of the list for me.

I think the Gophers should have been in the tourney, they are one of the best 8 teams in the country, and actually had a small but reasonable chance to win the whole thing.

So ultimately, I would have liked to watch them play!
Last edited by Lancaster on Mon Mar 08 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Maize » Mon Mar 08 12:31 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
A program like Minnesota shouldn't be winless against the BADgers in 9 tries. I get Wisconsin is good this year, but that's embarrassing.
What does "a program like Minnesota" have to do with it? So because they've been good in the past, they have to meet a much higher standard to deserve a tournament bid than other programs? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Mar 08 1:25 pm

Yea, I'm not disagreeing the fell apart a bit down the stretch and put themselves in a challenging situation - but there' s no way that UMD and Providence should have both leapt over them. MN was higher than UMD in the polls, in the standings, and held the H2H with them.

There's also no way UMD should be a #5 seed with MN out.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Mar 08 1:57 pm

I'm somewhat active in the College Hockey Reddit. Some of the reactions there.
Vermont fan: Minnesota got jobbed.
Northeastern: I dunno about the choice to snub Minnesota. It feels like they just didn't want four WCHA teams in.
BU: If they didn't want four WCHA teams then it's pretty easy to make the argument to leave out Duluth instead of Minnesota.
BC: Duluth in over Minnesota is a crime
WisconSIN: Providence over Penn State and Minnesota is a crime.
WisconSIN: It seems like both Duluth and Minnesota belong.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 08 2:19 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Mar 08 1:57 pm
Northeastern: I dunno about the choice to snub Minnesota. It feels like they just didn't want four WCHA teams in.
BU: If they didn't want four WCHA teams then it's pretty easy to make the argument to leave out Duluth instead of Minnesota.
From being active on the women's hockey side of twitter there is only one fanbase and a small portion of that who think the NCAA made the right call and that's the usual trolls from UMD.

RWD and Biddy are laughing it up. When even the Badger fans are saying Minnesota got screwed...that should tell you all you need to know.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 08 2:26 pm

Women’s hockey: Gophers shocked to be left out of NCAA field

Reaction from Brad Frost plus the following "Briefly" at the bottom:

BRIEFLY

Frost said he expects at least four of his five seniors to return next season. Grace Zumwinkle, a Patty Kazmaier Top 10 finalist, is a candidate to make the U.S. Olympic team but he has spoken to blue liners Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles, forward Taylor Wente and goaltender Lauren Bench about using their NCAA pandemic waivers to play another year. All were key members of the rotation this season.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/03/07/w ... caa-field/

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 08 2:27 pm

UMD fans would just be trolling. Everyone knows it was an inexplicable and unethical decision from the eastern heavy committee in their one year to make the decision over the computers.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 08 2:29 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 08 2:26 pm
Women’s hockey: Gophers shocked to be left out of NCAA field

Reaction from Brad Frost plus the following "Briefly" at the bottom:

BRIEFLY

Frost said he expects at least four of his five seniors to return next season. Grace Zumwinkle, a Patty Kazmaier Top 10 finalist, is a candidate to make the U.S. Olympic team but he has spoken to blue liners Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles, forward Taylor Wente and goaltender Lauren Bench about using their NCAA pandemic waivers to play another year. All were key members of the rotation this season.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/03/07/w ... caa-field/
Roster is pretty small. They must have room to bring in the whole freshman class, too, with no junior option for women.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 408 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 08 3:11 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Mon Mar 08 2:19 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Mar 08 1:57 pm
From being active on the women's hockey side of twitter there is only one fanbase and a small portion of that who think the NCAA made the right call and that's the usual trolls from UMD.

RWD and Biddy are laughing it up. When even the Badger fans are saying Minnesota got screwed...that should tell you all you need to know.
Biddy is laughing because he even knows it's redonkulous (had a little chat via Tweeter Machine). I shall not comment on that other person.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 08 9:07 pm

One final article on The Great Snub. The author is USCHO's main writer for women's hockey.

Women’s Division I College Hockey: NCAA Tournament Bracket Contains Surprising Picks
https://www.uscho.com/2021/03/08/womens ... ing-picks/

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 08 9:35 pm

uw is going to pound Providence by 5+ but that won't be sweet at all given the situation and the team holding the hammer.
Loserville, USA

midevil bowievil
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by midevil bowievil » Tue Mar 09 2:56 pm

So I assume no recourse on this? A committee can do what they want, give Minnetonka a spot?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 09 2:58 pm

All committee member have since been hanged lol nope there won't be recourse cuz it'll go back to PWR next season
Loserville, USA

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 380 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Mar 09 3:56 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 08 9:07 pm
One final article on The Great Snub. The author is USCHO's main writer for women's hockey.

Women’s Division I College Hockey: NCAA Tournament Bracket Contains Surprising Picks
https://www.uscho.com/2021/03/08/womens ... ing-picks/
I'm just surprised no one from the committee is quoted in anything as explaining themselves.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 09 4:20 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Mar 09 3:56 pm
I'm just surprised no one from the committee is quoted in anything as explaining themselves.
No doubt they are well aware of the near universal negative reaction their decision-making has caused. If they did attempt to explain themselves I think it would just make matters worse, and they probably realize it.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Mar 09 4:33 pm

My sadistic hope is that UMD, Boston College, and Providence get beat up by a wide margin in the tournament and that Wisconsin (as much as I hate to say it) beats Northeastern 12-0. This bracket is all sorts of stupid so I want it to backfire in amazing firey glory.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Mar 11 11:52 am

Plenty of current and former Gophers in camp.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 11 12:26 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Mar 09 4:33 pm
My sadistic hope is that UMD, Boston College, and Providence get beat up by a wide margin in the tournament and that Wisconsin (as much as I hate to say it) beats Northeastern 12-0. This bracket is all sorts of stupid so I want it to backfire in amazing firey glory.
My version is UMD, Wisconsin and Ohio State beat up on everybody and only lose to each to make clear this was the year to have 4 WCHA teams.

But your way is probably better :mrgreen:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Mar 16 2:18 pm

5 minutes to go in the second
Wisconsin v Providence
The last 12 minutes have been
47.5% desire
47.5% frantic ness
5% skill. :)

Before that it was 209% Wisconsin

1-0 BADgers

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 16 2:27 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Tue Mar 16 2:18 pm
5 minutes to go in the second
Wisconsin v Providence
The last 12 minutes have been
47.5% desire
47.5% frantic ness
5% skill. :)

Before that it was 209% Wisconsin

1-0 BADgers
It took almost 30 minutes before Providence was able to muster their first shot on goal. But somehow during that first half of the game they were able to withstand the onslaught and in the latter half of the 2nd they've been holding their own. Down just one, they are still very much in it.

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Mar 16 4:44 pm

They lost 3-0 and were outshot 42-12.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 16 6:05 pm

BC and OSU are about to start. Winner gets the BADgers tomorrow.

Link: https://www.ncaa.com/game/5799575

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Mar 16 7:13 pm

College hockey stats has SOG 15-2 for BC in the second!
That is not true. I think it’s the other way around!!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Mar 16 7:24 pm

Shots now 25-4 on the period, Buckeyes finally tie 1-1 on PP, 3 to go in the second.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Mar 16 7:41 pm

2-1 Ohio State after 2. Shots that period 27-4.

BC by the end of the period were completely on their heels and shell shocked by the intensity of the Buckeyes.

Does it make me feel better about the Gophers being put on their heels and into slow motion by the Buckeyes on a regular basis? No, it does not.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 16 10:35 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Tue Mar 16 7:41 pm
2-1 Ohio State after 2. Shots that period 27-4.

BC by the end of the period were completely on their heels and shell shocked by the intensity of the Buckeyes.

Does it make me feel better about the Gophers being put on their heels and into slow motion by the Buckeyes on a regular basis? No, it does not.
Seems to me the Buckeyes' players fully take on the intensity of their coach, and that intensity was on full display earlier today when her team put 48 shots on goal and held a good Boston College team to a mere 13. I don't know if Muzz has the horses with enough talent and energy to force the BADgers' D into critical mistakes, but it should be a great game to watch.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Wed Mar 17 8:23 am

It would be cool if UMD beat Northeastern for a clean sweep by the WCHA! It may be a tall task but we'll see.

This was the year for 4 WCHA teams to have been in the tournament :anger:

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Mar 18 1:48 pm

UMD and Northeastern semi: no score after one. Dogs have controlled most of the play so far, outshooting the Huskies 13-4.
(being streamed live on ESPN3)

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 1:58 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Mar 18 1:48 pm
UMD and Northeastern semi: no score after one. Dogs have controlled most of the play so far, outshooting the Huskies 13-4.
(being streamed live on ESPN3)
UMD is playing great, but their d is making a lot of bad passes and some scary mistakes!

Need to beat Frankel :)

4 min into 2nd
0-0

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Mar 18 2:01 pm

Congrats to Grace Zumwinkle on being named a top three finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award!

https://www.pattykaz.com/news_article/show/1153062

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Iceburg » Thu Mar 18 2:19 pm

Duluth takes a 2-0 lead in the third place game.

Retired Thread Police

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 2:24 pm

Maddie Hughes with the most idiotic penalty ever!

Hard to cheer for that kind of crap. But I probably still will.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 2:28 pm

2-0 Bulldogs after two.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Mar 18 2:28 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Thu Mar 18 2:24 pm
(Gabby)

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 2:31 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Mar 18 2:28 pm
Lancaster wrote:
Thu Mar 18 2:24 pm
(Gabby)
Thank you, (I don’t think it’s the first time I’ve called her Maddie) :good2:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 2:45 pm

2-1 Bulldogs. If you’re going to make a play that stupid, you may as well pay for it.

Ms Hughes has some atonin’ to do!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 2:52 pm

2-2.

Some weak sauce by UMD. They got their work cut out for them now. I feel they may have shot theirs.

Still possible though.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 3:51 pm

2-2 6:45 to go in first OT.

Heck of a game. These players are tired :bored:

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by JC65 » Thu Mar 18 4:02 pm

God what a gut shot to UMD. Player gets tripped trying to carry the puck out of the defensive zone, then NE gets the puck back and scores on a deflection.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 4:04 pm

Terrible out pass by UMD d was a fitting way for them to down (with just seconds to go). The amount of bad passes and hanging on to the puck too long by Bulldog d was interesting to me.

But fantastic effort and great game.

I’m giving the Bulldogs big props on a very nice season and game.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Mar 18 4:05 pm

Send your sympathy cards to---

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 4:06 pm

JC65 wrote:
Thu Mar 18 4:02 pm
God what a gut shot to UMD. Player gets tripped trying to carry the puck out of the defensive zone, then NE gets the puck back and scores on a deflection.
Different interpretation, but that’s OK by me. I’ll give you yours :D

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 18 4:07 pm

I’m not changing my mind on the Hughes penalty, though. I think that was undisciplined and bad.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Thu Mar 18 4:19 pm

Trip or no trip, you make the call.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Mar 18 4:35 pm

JC65 wrote:
Thu Mar 18 4:19 pm
Trip or no trip, you make the call.

Looked like a dive to me :paper: :wink:

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Mar 18 4:56 pm

Watching it live I thought it was a trip. So were about 10 other plays in the 3rd and OT that weren’t called. Once the refs set the precedent, it’s hard to all of a sudden blow the whistle again.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Laxref » Thu Mar 18 5:16 pm

It’s questionable if it’s a trip, but doesn’t the puck go right to another UMD player who then makes a squirt level pass right to northeastern players tape?

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Mar 18 9:18 pm

JC65 wrote:
Thu Mar 18 4:02 pm
The referee's definitely missed an obvious trip in the defensive zone, and it cost UMD the game and a chance to move on. I'm not one to normally blame the refs for deciding the outcome of a game, but this was a very unfortunate exception.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Mar 18 9:39 pm

Laxref wrote:
Thu Mar 18 5:16 pm
It’s questionable if it’s a trip, but doesn’t the puck go right to another UMD player who then makes a squirt level pass right to northeastern players tape?
This. Questionable trip, IMO (that sprawl looked a little too Robby Earl for me). The bonehead pass right after that was the real killer.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Mar 19 8:02 am

UMD got away with a fairly egregious check from behind earlier in the overtime period. Let’s not forget that. The officials swallowed their whistles for the entire overtime period.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by gopher6 » Sat Mar 20 9:13 pm

Badddgers win 2-1 in OT

BuckyFan
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by BuckyFan » Sat Mar 20 9:27 pm

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
ON, WISCONSIN!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 547 times
Been liked: 714 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 20 9:35 pm

:mrgreen:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Mar 20 10:09 pm

12 to 11 for titles now. Gopher men should go ahead and tie it up quickly.
Loserville, USA

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Fri Mar 26 9:31 pm

Whitecaps leading the Whale 7-0 late in the third of the semifinal game for the Isobel cup.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 29 4:51 am

I just hope she doesn't end up at WI, but they seem to get all the good transfers.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Iceburg » Tue Mar 30 1:51 pm

Roster named for women’s world championships in May.

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1155240

Retired Thread Police

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 16 7:37 pm

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Fri Apr 16 8:47 pm

Huge congrats (and best of luck) to Joel!

Curious as to why Bob Corkum "stepped down from his role" less than a month away from the 2021 Women's Worlds. Seems odd.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Apr 21 11:37 am