Veteran
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Women's hockey

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 25 4:28 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Mon Mar 25 2:04 pm
You're still not buying my plan of moving Katie to forward...... :lol:
I had heard that she suffered an injury during the season, but I never found out what happened (?). In any case she was out for a long time, so it must have been fairly serious.

In case you might have missed it, here is Nate Wells' (optimistic!) take on next year's team:

Gophers have talent to rebound from NCAA title game loss
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-have ... 507616532/

Lancaster
Rookie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Lancaster » Tue Mar 26 8:50 am

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 25 4:28 pm
Lancaster wrote:
Mon Mar 25 2:04 pm
You're still not buying my plan of moving Katie to forward...... :lol:
I had heard that she suffered an injury during the season, but I never found out what happened (?). In any case she was out for a long time, so it must have been fairly serious.

In case you might have missed it, here is Nate Wells' (optimistic!) take on next year's team:

Gophers have talent to rebound from NCAA title game loss
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-have ... 507616532/
Thanks!

Our team was great this year, but I think we need a little Star Power. Like what Pankowski did for the BADgers.
We expected to get it from Pannek and Potomak. But with their years being a little less than anticipated not so much.

I could see it from either Potomak, or Zumwinkle or Heise next year but I think they would have to blossom a little bit!

Amy Potomak looked better and better to me as the year went on, and to me Zumwinkle is right on the edge of that Star Power but not quite there.

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Tue Mar 26 4:29 pm

What worries me a little: eight players leaving (though only four got regular minutes), and only three coming in, including one at a position that doesn't really need a replacement. Wethington will help a lot but is a transfer in order?
Winning is more important than being all-Minnesotan. —Grant Potulny

#FreeSadek 2015–16, #FreeNotermann 2016–17, #FreeRossini 2017–18, #FreeStucker 2018–19

Not a sieve, but rather, a funnel.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 26 9:41 pm

No word that I've heard on transfers, but anything on the order of a #25-like addition would be most welcome!
Predictions:

1. Despite being a freshman, Wethington will add a much-needed boost to the team's scoring being generating from the D. A HUGE positive!
2. If paired with the Potomak sisters on the first line, Taylor Heise will finish as the team's leading points scorer. Amy will be the team's leading goal scorer.
3. Those three, plus Wethington and maybe Zumwinkle at the point, will become a power play unit that converts at a 25% clip.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Mar 28 10:55 am

Here is how the season ended for Minnesota and Wisconsin
Goals/Assists/ and +/- by class for each team.
Britta Curl and Sophie Shirley were huge freshmen for the BADgers. Our excellent freshmen do NOT want to take a back seat to them over the next few years.

GOPHERS
Goals.......Goals-class.....Assists.........plus-minus
44............28%....Sr.........68....27%..Sr....25%
27...........17%....Jr..........43....17% ..Jr....23%
45...........28%....So........63....25%..So....26%
44...........28%....Fr.........82....32%..Fr....26%

WISCONSIN
Goals ......Goals-class.....Assists...........plus-minus
60........... 39%....Sr.........97....39% .Sr..37%
39...........25%....Jr..........73.....29%....Jr.....25%
12...........8%.....So.........36.....15%....So.....19%
42...........27%....Fr..........42.....17%....Fr ....19%

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 31 9:27 am

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Sun Mar 31 1:37 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 31 9:27 am
Disappointing news. I assume this will mean the US league should get even better talent and the Whitecaps will be primed for an influx of new faces.

I had heard rumblings of a potential merger between the two leagues as it were, so this will effectively do that. Of course, this will mean fewer opportunities, however.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by JWG » Mon Apr 01 3:25 pm

Not a surprise:

Women’s D-I: Wisconsin’s Mark Johnson named USCHO Coach of the Year

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/01/womens ... YXoxi18NZ8
JWG
[This space for rent]

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Apr 01 4:11 pm

I can’t imagine that the team in Shenzhen was innexpensive to run for the CWHL. Logistically that’s a long haul to get teams there and back. You’d have to think the two leagues could do a certain amount of absorption into one league.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Apr 01 4:23 pm

I thought I read though that the team in Shenzen actually brought quite an influx of money into the league. That said I can't imagine that the travel either way for teams didn't blow right through that influx. It would be nice to see those teams or a couple of those teams be added to the NWHL. I agree with many who say for this league to have any shot at longevity the NHL should partner with the teams to enhance marketing to those areas where teams are and maybe help financially in some respect. I don't think the WNBA would have lasted as long as it has without the NBA's help.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Apr 01 10:02 pm

Doesn’t the NWHL already partner with NHL teams? Not like the league as a whole but the teams?

Boston Apologist

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Tue Apr 02 9:16 pm

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Tue Apr 02 9:19 pm

Kind of an interesting story.

"The Iron Seven Take Over Cleveland"

Retired Thread Police

gopher6
Veteran
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gopher6 » Sat Apr 13 1:36 pm

Finland beat Canada in woman's world semi final 4-2, USA kicking Russia's ass 5-0 in other semi

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Sat Apr 13 2:07 pm

Wow! I saw that and didn’t believe it for a second. That’s a miracle win for the Fins.

USA not messing around with the Russians.

Boston Apologist

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 13 3:47 pm

At the hockey Hall of Fame yesterday, Diesel and I were talking about the display for the Women's hockey medal count between world championship, Olympics, etc... Was USA and Canada with 18 each, all of the Gold/Silver... With the Finn's in third, with twelve, all Bronze, then three more teams splitting the other six Bronze medals.

As much as I like the USA/Canada rivalry, it is good to get another team I'm contention for Gold
:BDTR:

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Apr 13 11:18 pm

Nice to see Kelly Pannek get untracked today with her two goals and an assist. For the most part she's played well throughout the tournament but has been a little unlucky not getting on the scoreboard more often. Until this game there were lots of 'near misses' by her teammates on some great passes she's made to set them up.

Dani Cameranesi is having a very nice tournament, as is Lee Stecklein.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Sun Apr 14 1:58 pm

1-1 in the 3rd

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Sun Apr 14 2:56 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Sun Apr 14 1:58 pm
Fins score but no goal in ot

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Sun Apr 14 3:08 pm

This has been just completely bizarre. Sucks the settle this with shootouts.....

Boston Apologist

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Apr 14 3:22 pm

What in the H was that last move by the Fin shooter?

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Sun Apr 14 3:22 pm

Super glad USA won, but damn do I feel for Räty. She deserved better.

Boston Apologist

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Sun Apr 14 3:24 pm

USA wins in ot shootout

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by gopheritall » Sun Apr 14 4:49 pm

I really feel like the goal for Finland in OT should have stood. I feel bad for them.

Happy for Team USA as they were clearly the best team in the tournament. Glad to see their success.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 20 times

Post by JC65 » Sun Apr 14 4:56 pm

I feel as though a Finnish win would have been bigger for women's hockey, world wide, than another US win.

That said I have no idea how goal wasn't immediately waved off for goalie interference and I'm still in shock that somehow Rigsby got a penalty out of it.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 52 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Apr 14 6:25 pm

JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 14 4:56 pm
I feel as though a Finnish win would have been bigger for women's hockey, world wide, than another US win.

That said I have no idea how goal wasn't immediately waved off for goalie interference and I'm still in shock that somehow Rigsby got a penalty out of it.
What I don't get is that if it were goal tender interference, why there a penalty called against the Finn's? The puck was away and the Finn player caught the US goalie with her leg and swooped her out of position. If that happens anywhere else on the ice, it's a penalty.

US outplayed the Finn team all game, except for the brilliant play of Raty. It was a convoluted victory, but the right team won.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Apr 14 9:48 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Apr 14 6:25 pm
JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 14 4:56 pm

What I don't get is that if it were goal tender interference, why there a penalty called against the Finn's? The puck was away and the Finn player caught the US goalie with her leg and swooped her out of position. If that happens anywhere else on the ice, it's a penalty.

US outplayed the Finn team all game, except for the brilliant play of Raty. It was a convoluted victory, but the right team won.
That happens all the time in the NHL where they review a goal for goaltender interference, waive off the goal, and don't give a penalty. I guess there's a difference between interfering with the goalie without a goal being scored (which is a penalty) and interfering with the goalie when a goal is scored. There needs to be more contact and actual interference for a penalty to be called.

I'm still baffled how Rigsby got a penalty out of it. She was literally playing the puck and the Finn player ran into her.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Apr 14 10:58 pm

The controversial non-goal aside, I'm still left wondering why the rules call for a shootout to be used to determine the champion of the "Worlds" tournament? You don't even see this in girls high school here in Minnesota; they keep playing just like they do in regulation until a real goal is scored before the winner is crowned.

That said, it was a great hockey game played earlier today, but the way it ended was very unfortunate.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Mon Apr 15 12:22 pm

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/ww/ ... -from-iihf

It looks like the IIHF got it right (or at least they're arguing they got it right):
-According to IIHF Playing Rule 186 v. Goaltender and Goal/Goal Crease Disallowed: An attacking skater who makes contact other than incidental with a goaltender who is out of his goal crease during game action will be assessed a minor penalty for interference. If a goal is scored at this time, it will not count.

-According to IIHF Playing Rule 183 ii. Protection of a Goaltender: Incidental contact is allowed when the goaltender is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease, provided the attacking skater makes a reasonable effort to minimize or avoid such contact.
and
During the play, the on-ice official called a penalty for Tripping on the USA goaltender. Penalties that are assessed on-ice are not reviewable by the Video Goal Judge. The VGJ cannot assess or cancel a penalty. The decision to uphold the penalty was made by the on-ice official.

1) non-incidental contact, even outside the crease, = no goal. (I'd argue the picture in the article shows Rigsby at least partially in her crease)
2) The penalty screwup was made on-ice and not reviewable.

Imagine if they had reversed the penalty calls too! Hey, not only did you not score a goal but that power play you thought you were getting is going to be a PK.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 15 11:24 pm

JC65 wrote:
Mon Apr 15 12:22 pm

It looks like the IIHF got it right (or at least they're arguing they got it right):
-According to IIHF Playing Rule 186 v. Goaltender and Goal/Goal Crease Disallowed: An attacking skater who makes contact other than incidental with a goaltender who is out of his goal crease during game action will be assessed a minor penalty for interference. If a goal is scored at this time, it will not count.

-According to IIHF Playing Rule 183 ii. Protection of a Goaltender: Incidental contact is allowed when the goaltender is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease, provided the attacking skater makes a reasonable effort to minimize or avoid such contact.
and
During the play, the on-ice official called a penalty for Tripping on the USA goaltender. Penalties that are assessed on-ice are not reviewable by the Video Goal Judge. The VGJ cannot assess or cancel a penalty. The decision to uphold the penalty was made by the on-ice official.

1) non-incidental contact, even outside the crease, = no goal. (I'd argue the picture in the article shows Rigsby at least partially in her crease)

Imagine if they had reversed the penalty calls too! Hey, not only did you not score a goal but that power play you thought you were getting is going to be a PK.
Weird. I would think if the goalie was called for a penalty the goal would stand. I mean, how can the USA goalie be called for tripping AND the Finn player be guilty of non incidental contact? :confused2:

Oh well, the better team won, even though it was decided in the most awful way. It is ironic that Raty, who stopped an onslaught of shots all game, would falter on the first two shots in the shootout.

It was almost one of those "hockey sucks" losses.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Apr 16 8:50 am

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Apr 15 11:24 pm
JC65 wrote:
Mon Apr 15 12:22 pm

and

Weird. I would think if the goalie was called for a penalty the goal would stand. I mean, how can the USA goalie be called for tripping AND the Finn player be guilty of non incidental contact? :confused2:

Oh well, the better team won, even though it was decided in the most awful way. It is ironic that Raty, who stopped an onslaught of shots all game, would falter on the first two shots in the shootout.

It was almost one of those "hockey sucks" losses.
It's also a situation that, if review of penalties was allowed, the call on the goalie would have been reversed, so the end result would make a bit more sense.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 16 11:23 am

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Apr 15 11:24 pm
Similar to calling a player for tripping while also calling the tripped player for embellishment. :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

Cipher_F15

Post by Cipher_F15 » Tue Apr 23 12:01 pm

Well, no matter who won between the Finns and the Americans, it's always the same 5-6 countries hogging the championships, be it for men or women! But well, to every nation its sports, it's like soccier which is hogged by Brazil, Argentina, Italy and France, or rugby that's hogged by New Zealand, South Africa, every British league and, again, France.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Thu May 02 10:06 am

Twitter blowing up this morning from our Women's National Team members

-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Zwak » Thu May 02 10:29 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Thu May 02 10:06 am

There's no doubt they are amazing athletes and are the best in the game. That said, where are these resources going to come from.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu May 02 12:08 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu May 02 10:29 am
g-manpuck wrote:
There's no doubt they are amazing athletes and are the best in the game. That said, where are these resources going to come from.
The NHL? I know they had brought it up before that they would like buy in from the NHL like the NBA does with the WNBA.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Thu May 02 1:21 pm

I know Bettman pretty much said that the NHL won't do anything while another entity is running things, and I'm paraphrasing there. I read somewhere that the NHL contributed about $100k to the now defunct CWHL which he says will shift now to the NWHL. I really hope that something positive happens for the women players and a league of some sort gives them the platform to play and make a living. I don't think it's possible without the NHL running the show.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by team22tank » Thu May 02 2:41 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Thu May 02 1:21 pm
I know Bettman pretty much said that the NHL won't do anything while another entity is running things, and I'm paraphrasing there. I read somewhere that the NHL contributed about $100k to the now defunct CWHL which he says will shift now to the NWHL. I really hope that something positive happens for the women players and a league of some sort gives them the platform to play and make a living. I don't think it's possible without the NHL running the show.
Here is what he said. He doesn't want to create a new league because he knows that it would squash all the other ones, at the time he said it the other two were operational.

And he knows the NWHL (as well as the others) have horrible business models, if you can even call them that.

The NHL is on board with making the investment but they want to run the model because they know they have no other choice than to make it work. And they know how to do it. Only problem is that there are some in the Women's game that want the NHL having nothing to do with running "their league" except for you know cutting them a check so they can turn it into a living.

Bettman said he had no interest in forming a third league because he didn't want the NHL "to look like a bully" by pushing the existing leagues out of business. He was also hesitant of the NHL assuming control of the CWHL or NWHL because, as he put it, "we don't believe in their models."

"We need to start on a clean slate," Bettman said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/h ... 325434002/

From today.
https://theathletic.com/957600/2019/05/ ... directed=1

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Thu May 02 3:03 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu May 02 2:41 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Here is what he said. He doesn't want to create a new league because he knows that it would squash all the other ones, at the time he said it the other two were operational.

And he knows the NWHL (as well as the others) have horrible business models, if you can even call them that.

The NHL is on board with making the investment but they want to run the model because they know they have no other choice than to make it work. And they know how to do it. Only problem is that there are some in the Women's game that want the NHL having nothing to do with running "their league" except for you know cutting them a check so they can turn it into a living.

Bettman said he had no interest in forming a third league because he didn't want the NHL "to look like a bully" by pushing the existing leagues out of business. He was also hesitant of the NHL assuming control of the CWHL or NWHL because, as he put it, "we don't believe in their models."

From today.
Thanks for doing the legwork on this...I was too lazy. :)

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by team22tank » Thu May 02 3:08 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Thu May 02 3:03 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu May 02 2:41 pm
g-manpuck wrote:

From today.
Thanks for doing the legwork on this...I was too lazy. :)
When I saw the post, I was literally just finishing the article!

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu May 02 8:24 pm

g-manpuck wrote:

I really, really want them to succeed in this one and develop a good league that is a winner for everyone.

But I think they are overplaying their hand here. A boycott will do nothing but force the folding of both leagues. From there, the NHL will have to determine whether it has the good graces to develop its own model, but what's in it for the NHL? Other than the MN franchise, nobody else was even close to profitable, and the MN franchise sold out a HS-size rink only here. Seems like a simple loser for the NHL, which is why they are only committing a token amount to the effort previously.

The WNBA tried to be the NBA-lite and didn't really find its footing until you started seeing college or hometown stars getting to play in their local franchises, and even then, it is seen as a way to keep their arenas busy in otherwise dark periods of the year. Can a women's hockey league survive by playing summer games in NHL arenas? Does it really want to? Those early WNBA games were brutal at the Target Center, as they couldn't fill half of the lower bowl, which made it a total atmosphere loser.

I suspect the best rationale for NHL participation will be to make hockey more accessible to women in general, which will heighten NHL crowds and atmosphere. I believe there is a great opportunity there-- but the logistics of making that happen are hard, and the ROI is in no way clear. Seems this could kill the goodwill established previously and force everybody to start from scratch because of business reasons. That's bad for the game, in my opinion.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri May 03 8:54 am

With the pay they're talking about, and lack of health insurance, I can't really blame anyone for refusing to play under those conditions, really. Especially the insurance side. It's bad enough to get paid that little, but to have to pay for your own (probably fairly high risk) insurance to cover possibly life-altering injuries while doing so?

Unfortunately, I just don't know where the money to get a proper system comes from, other than the NHL.

Good luck, ladies, I'm afraid you're going to need it. :(

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Fri May 03 9:53 am

Steve MN wrote:
Fri May 03 8:54 am
With the pay they're talking about, and lack of health insurance, I can't really blame anyone for refusing to play under those conditions, really. Especially the insurance side. It's bad enough to get paid that little, but to have to pay for your own (probably fairly high risk) insurance to cover possibly life-altering injuries while doing so?

Unfortunately, I just don't know where the money to get a proper system comes from, other than the NHL.

There is no Title IX in the capitalist's model and hockey is no charity. They have to sell tickets to people who want to come and watch.

Oh, with all due respect to Kessel, professional hockey "deserves" nothing. There is no "deserve" in the capitalist model.
Last edited by streakygopher on Fri May 03 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri May 03 9:54 am

streakygopher wrote:
Fri May 03 9:53 am
Steve MN wrote:
Fri May 03 8:54 am

There is no Title IX in the capitalist's model and hockey is no charity. They have to sell tickets to people who want to come and watch.
Hence my thinking they're going to need some pretty good luck on this.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 08 2:54 pm

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Mon May 13 2:05 pm

Eric Rud resigns as women's coach at St. Cloud to take job as assistant men's coach at Miami of Ohio.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/co ... 189644001/

Retired Thread Police

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Mon May 13 3:13 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Mon May 13 2:05 pm
Eric Rud resigns as women's coach at St. Cloud to take job as assistant men's coach at Miami of Ohio.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/co ... 189644001/
I thought they were completely different sports! :ahhh:
(not really trying to re-start the argument, I just thought it was amusing).

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue May 14 10:38 pm

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed May 15 9:13 am

Has anyone purchased any of the "mini-packs" that are offerred for women's hockey? We're interested in attending more of their games but don't really want to commit to 19+ games - thought that may be a good option. No information out on them for 2019-20 yet.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Jun 10 8:19 pm

Well...the road for the Gophers the next two years just got significantly harder as somehow WI has room on their roster to allow BC's star Daryl Watts to transfer to the BADgers.

Hope Frost has something up his sleeve....because WI just became the NCAA favorite for the next 2 years.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Thu Jun 20 11:40 am

Ryan Kraft is the new girls hockey coach at Moorhead high school.

https://www.dl-online.com/sports/hockey ... ckey-coach

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jul 12 1:53 pm

Retired Thread Police

outofstateoutofmind
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by outofstateoutofmind » Tue Jul 30 11:09 am

Besides the U18 players, Bozek, Brandt, Kessel, Marshall, Schammel, Zumwinkle, Brown, Oden, Stecklein, Cameranesi, Pannek, Wente, Heise, Marvin, and Wethington named to the USA Hockey Women's Festival roster.
Winning is more important than being all-Minnesotan. —Grant Potulny

#FreeSadek 2015–16, #FreeNotermann 2016–17, #FreeRossini 2017–18, #FreeStucker 2018–19

Not a sieve, but rather, a funnel.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sun Aug 11 4:29 pm

Amy Potomak (and former Gopher Lindsay Agnew) named to Canada's U-22 team for the three game series against the U.S. later this week in Lake Placid.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team- ... teamid=430

Retired Thread Police

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Aug 11 8:42 pm

We bought a 3 game mini pack for the women this year. $71 for 3 tix to 3 games in reserved seats. We’re excited.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Wed Aug 14 9:07 pm

U.S. takes the first game against Canada in the U-22 series.

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/game/show ... son=632411

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Thu Aug 15 8:35 pm

U.S. takes game two of the U-22 series.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sat Aug 17 8:54 pm

U.S. drops the final game of the U-22 series.

Retired Thread Police

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Wed Sep 04 11:19 am

Kristy Wendell going into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

https://www.ushockeyhalloffame.com/news ... ow/1046320

Retired Thread Police

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 04 1:07 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Wed Sep 04 11:19 am
Kristy Wendell going into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

https://www.ushockeyhalloffame.com/news ... ow/1046320
While I know there were other great female players before her, when I think of the great female players from Minnesota that truly put women's hockey on the map I immediately think of Krissy Wendell with Natalie Darwitz a close second.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

WCHA Coach's Poll

Post by Iceburg » Wed Sep 11 2:10 pm

Preseason All-WCHA Team
Forward: Emma Maltais, Jr., Ohio State
Forward: Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., Minnesota
Forward: Abby Roque, Sr., Wisconsin (tie)
Forward: Sophie Shirley, So., Wisconsin (tie)
Defense: Jincy Dunne, Sr., Ohio State (unanimous)
Defense: McKenzie Steffen, Sr., Wisconsin
Goaltender: Kristen Campbell, Sr., Wisconsin

Preseason WCHA Co-Player of the Year: Abby Roque, Sr., F, Wisconsin (2 votes) and Emma Maltais, Jr., F, Ohio State (2 votes)
Others receiving votes: Jincy Dunne, Sr., D, Ohio State (1); Sophie Shirley, So., F, Wisconsin (1); Grace Zumwinkle, Jr., F, Minnesota (1)

Preseason WCHA Rookie of the Year: Madeline Wethington, Fr., D, Minnesota (3)
Others receiving votes: Grace Shirley, Fr., F, Wisconsin (2); Dara Grieg, Fr., F. Wisconsin (1); Klara Hymlarova, Fr., F, St. Cloud State (1)

WCHA Preseason Coaches' Poll
1. Wisconsin (6 first place votes), 36 points
2. Minnesota (1), 31 points
3. Ohio State, 24 points
4. Minnesota Duluth, 23 points
5. Bemidji State, 15 points
6. Minnesota State, 12 points
7. St. Cloud State, 6 points

Retired Thread Police

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Sat Sep 14 5:02 pm

women's WCHA going to 3 on 3 in regular season ot games
https://www.uscho.com/2019/09/13/wcha-w ... ason-games

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Sep 21 9:58 am

I don't know what we can learn from today's game, but I'm looking forward to getting a look at the players :D

Shattuck beat the Aeros yesterday 10-1...oh well.

TORONTO JUNIOR AEROS TEAM MANDATE
To provide an elite Junior Women's program with high standards of commitment and skill development.
To prepare players to play at the University, and possibly Provincial and National levels.
To emphasize continuous improvement of the entire team and all players rather than individual statistics and winning all games.
To promote the importance of a higher education for our players.
TORONTO AEROS MISSION
To support highly motivated athletes in realizing their full academic, athletic and personal potential through high performance women's hockey, in pursuit of life-long success.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Sep 21 2:14 pm

Really great to watch the team play again :biggrin2:

Looking for Olivia to remember our d is going to tighten things up significantly this year from the last few years!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Sep 22 2:11 pm

Once again, love watching Gophers play again.

So who the heck knows after a couple of exhibition games but I liked the looks of the Gophers this weekend :wink:

First impression is Madeline Wethington is everything she was cracked up to be. I had her pegged to play with Emily Brown, but (again 1st impression, season hasn't even started yet..lol) I could see Wethington making Patti Marshall a much better player.

I think the coaches are hoping Mikayla Pahl is a real deal goaltender and can make any impact and/or push Scobee and Gulstene.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Sep 22 7:17 pm

Gophers stomped the Whitecaps... That seems odd even in an exhibition.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Sep 22 7:40 pm

It will be interesting how the NWHL will do this year minus most of the premier players boycotting.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Sep 22 7:43 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Sep 22 7:40 pm
It will be interesting how the NWHL will do this year minus most of the premier players boycotting.
That explains it
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Sep 22 9:07 pm

Obviously not the same Whitecaps team that were champions of the NWHL last season. Plus, with so many players just recently signed, they've had very little time to work on their systems...and get into skating shape.

Gopher fans shouldn't read too much into this exhibition win. Next weekend, when a very good Colgate comes to town, will tell us a lot more.

Arlan Marttila
Rookie

Post by Arlan Marttila » Mon Sep 23 11:54 am

Lancaster wrote:
Sun Sep 22 2:11 pm
First impression is Madeline Wethington is everything she was cracked up to be. I had her pegged to play with Emily Brown, but (again 1st impression, season hasn't even started yet..lol)
They are the only two lefties of the six, so that makes it less likely that they will settle into being a pair. Skarzynski played with Marshall a lot last year, so it makes it fairly seamless to just plug the new #5 into the spot of the old #5. Marshall can just look for the same number! Although admittedly, Skarzynski and Wethington have vastly different playing styles.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Mon Sep 23 1:14 pm

Arlan Marttila wrote:
Mon Sep 23 11:54 am
Lancaster wrote:
Sun Sep 22 2:11 pm
First impression is Madeline Wethington is everything she was cracked up to be. I had her pegged to play with Emily Brown, but (again 1st impression, season hasn't even started yet..lol)
They are the only two lefties of the six, so that makes it less likely that they will settle into being a pair. Skarzynski played with Marshall a lot last year, so it makes it fairly seamless to just plug the new #5 into the spot of the old #5. Marshall can just look for the same number! Although admittedly, Skarzynski and Wethington have vastly different playing styles.
Well there you go. Sometimes I would be well advised to remember the fundamentals :lol:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Sep 26 4:23 pm

Colgate this weekend, good OOC opponent to start with.
Colgate lost 50% of their goal scoring, 49% of their points, and 68% of their plus/minus from last year.
by contrast
Gophers lost 28% of their goal scoring, 27% of their points, and just 21% of their plus/minus.

On the other hand, Colgate's freshman class of 7 players was ranked the #1 incoming class in the country by neutral zone.net, for what that is worth. And Colgate has been one of the most improved teams in the country in recent years, including a national runner up in 2017-18.

So to me it adds up to a good challenging first series, but one that would definitely be a disappointment if the Gophers did not sweep. I have high hopes for this Gopher team. In the exhibition games I was intrigued by the pairing of Taylor Heise with Grace Zumwinkle. I thought the Potomak sisters looked strong, especially Amy. Emily Oden will be pressing for a top 6 forward spot. Kippin Keller looked good enough last weekend but she will need to fight to maintain a top 9 forward position. Shearen looked fast as she was advertised to be, and props to Katie Robinson..she played hard and pretty well and will be challenging for her playing time.

The play from the d corp needs to be solid and much improved over recent years, and that's very possible. This has the potential to be a great group. Marshall/Wethington could be an absolutely premier pairing and here's hoping Olivia Knowles plays well enough to not tempt the coaches to play 5 d during a strong run in the postseason by the Gophs :good2:

And the goalies.....I don't know but I am absolutely hopeful.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Sep 27 4:42 pm

Retired Thread Police

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 04 9:05 pm

Bummer, FloHockey stream ended after two periods. They had a "Full Replay" posted before the third period even started :anger:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Oct 04 9:09 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Fri Oct 04 9:05 pm
Bummer, FloHockey stream ended after two periods. They had a "Full Replay" posted before the third period even started :anger:
Is Gulstene hurt/sick? She isn't listed as one of the 3 goalies tonight on the lineup sheet.