Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Women's hockey

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 04 9:13 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Oct 04 9:09 pm
Lancaster wrote:
Fri Oct 04 9:05 pm
Bummer, FloHockey stream ended after two periods. They had a "Full Replay" posted before the third period even started :anger:
Is Gulstene hurt/sick? She isn't listed as one of the 3 goalies tonight on the lineup sheet.
She hurt her "neck/head" in last week's first game. She played the first period and didn't come out for the second and has been gone since.

Supposedly she's OK but is going to be out for a while. Not sure what that means but it doesn't sound like her return is imminent.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Oct 04 9:39 pm

How many wins-ties in a row over Kato now?

Edit, I think it is around 44 as far as I can tell. :D

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Fri Oct 04 10:16 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Oct 04 9:09 pm
Is Gulstene hurt/sick?
Left last Friday's game after the first period. No word on what's wrong.

Retired Thread Police

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Oct 06 7:06 am

Really nice interview with Taylor Heise from yesterday's game. Clearly an intense and focussed kid who manages to be articulate despite talking a mile a minute. Dan didn't have to ask her too many questions because her answers were very forthcoming with her thoughts and ideas :D

....at 54:03.

https://gophersports.com/watch/?Archive ... pe=Archive

Heise and Grace Zumwinkle, in this very young season, are playing like they want to be the stars this team desperately needs after the last three years.

I love the way Gracie Ostertag is playing :dance:

UMD beat Clarkson yesterday 2-0. It did not look like an upset but rather a good game they deserved to win. First goal was a gorgeous play from Syd Brodt to Gabbie Hughes. Second was a PP goal created by a brilliant Hughes move and put in by Brodt. I think we're a better team than the Bulldogs but they are capable of winning at any time. Who is a more dangerous forward in the country than Hughes?

Bemidji State beat Lindenwood 1-0 yesterday outshooting them 41-13, after losing 3-2 Friday night while outshooting them 32-16. They started similarly last season losing despite getting the shots (see Clarkson). They are a program doing lots of good things that need to win some more of these games!

Arlan Marttila
Rookie

Post by Arlan Marttila » Mon Oct 07 12:00 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Sun Oct 06 7:06 am
Who is a more dangerous forward in the country than Hughes?
She certainly causes problems for the Gophers. Hughes' sophomore class alone is loaded with talented kids; for example: S. Fillier, Princeton; Mueller, Northeastern, and S. Shirley, Wisconsin. All those kids are part of talented duos who were rookies last year, but I feel pretty good about who UM got from that class. There are some pretty dynamic players in other classes, as well, like Giguère, Maltais, and Compher.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Wed Oct 09 3:19 pm

This weekend vs Robert Morris streamed for CHA by stretch internet and is 10.99 per day

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/rmuwhockey/

The only other out of conference series away from Ridder is the Nashville series against Harvard and BC. So far it looks like those games are not streamed. It would be terrible for those games to be unavailable for streaming, somebody needs to make that happen :M:

BTN is televising Frozen Four this season for the last year of it's 4 year deal for Women's Frozen Four.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Oct 09 3:35 pm

11 bucks that's rough.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Wed Oct 09 3:54 pm

Yeah, 11 bucks is amongst the worst, if not the worst. Usually, at least they charge by the month so you can buy the series, but not the CHA games.

But at least it's available and I like to watch every game the Gophers play.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Oct 10 5:26 pm

Robert Morris is going to have whiplash. They started the season vs Union and their second series starts tomorrow against the Gophers :shock:
From extreme to extreme!
They got Clarkson and Cornell the following two weeks so the WCHA should feel like a cakewalk after that run.

Be great to see Amy Potomak start to develop a little scoring touch. She is so great in every other way but has real trouble knowing when to shoot. Hang on to the puck to long, try to get too close to the net.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Oct 11 2:11 pm

Found a women's stream but nothing yet for the men, which was the case all last year as well. :cry:
Currently under construction.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Oct 11 2:20 pm

1-0 - goal right off the faceoff in the zone!

:M: :M2:
Currently under construction.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by JWG » Fri Oct 11 4:26 pm

1-1 end of 1
JWG
[This space for rent]

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Fri Oct 11 4:32 pm

4-3 final in OT Gophers win.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Oct 12 2:16 pm

I think Jaycee Gebhard played 60 minutes today :wink:

What a strange series.

That was the worst officiated Gopher series I have ever seen, by a long shot I think.

These poor kids out east that have to play games like this is really too bad. People complain about the WCHA reffing, but we should count our lucky stars that they let them play the game. Yesterday was preposterous. 16 penalties in that game was insane. 13 more today. WTF

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Oct 13 2:17 pm

Robert Morris played very well and really battled hard against the Gophers. They took the Gophers out of their game more than we took the Colonials out of theirs. It was pretty disappointing considering how we had started the season playing so hard. So fast...backchecking, forechecking, breakouts, swarming… I thought the Gophers were trying to re-establish themselves as the premier team. I know you can't play like that for 40 games but I was hoping we'd make it longer than just into the third series of the year.

On the other hand, the Gophers did find a way to win on Friday. And by the end of the game Saturday had asserted themselves. Much credit for that goes to Amy Potomak. She was determined and amazingly relentless and really made a statement. The Potomaks and Wente line was GOOD :dance:

Zummie was looking like she may be raising her game from very good to great before this series. Her play this weekend reminded me of Columbus her freshman year when the Buckeyes destroyed the Gophers 5-1. I'd love to see Grace raise her intensity when she finds herself in a tough series like this. Taylor Heise was kind of left by herself this weekend.

Bad luck for Sarah Potomak on her breakaway 12 minutes into the 2nd Saturday, as the puck hit the butt end of Desmet's stick and deflected wide.

Gophers got dominated in the face-off circle Saturday 24-35.

And Olivia Knowles let the ref know what she thought of that too many players on the ice penalty after RMU scored on the PP :evil:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 18 8:53 pm

Bemidji beat UMD 4-2. Going into the game Bemidji was 7th in the country in SOG differential :shock: But they were shooting .047 and their opponents .143. Shooting % differential is my pet stat. It corresponds to Gopher national championships more than any other stat I know.

Clarkson played at Robert Morris. There were 20 penalties, 12 in the 2nd period, and they called one on Jaycee Gebhard with 5 seconds to go in OT. Something needs to be done about CHA refs.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Mon Oct 21 1:37 pm

St Cloud looked better than I expected.

I like our team, I think they look really good and I have high hopes.

If our defense wasn't scoring we'd have concerns about our ability to score, but they are scoring so..........things look pretty good.

But what is the deal with our rushes? Our player with the puck almost always holds on to it so long, they lose all options. It's too late to pass because there is no room for the pass or no time to receive and shoot. And all that is left is a bad angle shot or losing control of the puck. If they passed sooner a give and go would be possible or there'd be a much better chance at a high percentage shot from the slot. IMHO... :good2:

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by D2D » Mon Oct 21 2:31 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Mon Oct 21 1:37 pm
But what is the deal with our rushes? Our player with the puck almost always holds on to it so long, they lose all options. It's too late to pass because there is no room for the pass or no time to receive and shoot. And all that is left is a bad angle shot or losing control of the puck. If they passed sooner a give and go would be possible or there'd be a much better chance at a high percentage shot from the slot. IMHO... :good2:
And a chance for a rebound if the pass isn't there.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Mon Oct 21 4:42 pm

Officiating was’t great but still, for me, much preferred over the CHA travesty the week before.

Not calling a cross check on a player who hits somebody immediately after they score is really asking for trouble, however.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Oct 21 9:37 pm

Anyone besides me concerned about this coming weekend's series vs. Ohio State? Yes on paper we should be the stronger team and prevail, but might the Buckeyes be looking to 'right the ship' at home after a somewhat disappointing start? That, and might the Gophers be looking ahead to their huge series at home against their biggest rival?

I'm sure our coaching staff is well aware of the situation and will be doing their absolute best to get their team to focus only on the next game.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Oct 22 3:12 pm

Yes, bitter memories of getting blitzed by the Buckeyes in Columbus 2 years ago. I have a hard time seeing this Gopher team playing like we did in that 5-1 game but I could easily see Ohio State beating the Gophers. They beat St Cloud 5-2 and 6-2.

The Maltais, Skaggs, Schepers line is very dangerous and those guys are all still juniors. Jincy Dunne on defense, I get the feeling she is playing lots of minutes. Gophers need to be ready.

These next two weeks should be really interesting. I'd be happy with 3-1, somewhat disappointed with 2-2 and secretly thinking 4-0 is within the realm of possibility :wink:

Arlan Marttila
Rookie

Post by Arlan Marttila » Wed Oct 23 10:01 am

As far as rushes go, I'm thinking that we might have a slight handedness problem with our forwards, and our team in general. Of our top nine forwards, only Sarah is left handed. We had a power-play unit this weekend where everyone on the ice was a righty, which limits some of the one-time shot and redirect options. On a two-on-one rush, the player on the off wing can open up to catch or make a pass on her forehand, but she really can't do that out by the blue line or beyond and maintain the flow. That means the pass or reception has to be made with the backhand, which lessens the crispness with curved sticks. Heise has navigated being on the off wing with Zumwinkle well and set up Grace for a tap in at least a couple of times; earlier, #12 converted, but this weekend, she put her attempt wide. In general, I think that the Heise line has looked closer to clicking on the breaks than the Wente line has. It would aid the cause greatly if the passing became smoother by the time the Badger bus rolls up.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 25 4:29 pm

Our Ohio State games are not on the FloHockey schedule for some reason.
I am in touch with Flo now, I will let you know what I find out.

From my Flo contact
He is trying to get the game set up now, hopefully it will appear soon.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Oct 25 4:57 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Fri Oct 25 4:29 pm
Our Ohio State games are not on the FloHockey schedule for some reason.
I am in touch with Flo now, I will let you know what I find out.

From my Flo contact
He is trying to get the game set up now, hopefully it will appear soon.
Thank you, I was just about to tune in, assuming it would be available.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 25 5:40 pm

After one period, I’m feeling pretty fortunate to be tied.

We weren’t SO outplayed later on, but I hope we play better as the game goes on!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Oct 25 7:26 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Oct 21 9:37 pm
Anyone besides me concerned about this coming weekend's series vs. Ohio State? Yes on paper we should be the stronger team and prevail, but might the Buckeyes be looking to 'right the ship' at home after a somewhat disappointing start? That, and might the Gophers be looking ahead to their huge series at home against their biggest rival?

I'm sure our coaching staff is well aware of the situation and will be doing their absolute best to get their team to focus only on the next game.
Well, at least you called it :lol:

I’m not sure how much else I want to say right now. Seems we had a lot of really bad defensive zone play. Emily Oden paid the price with a great blocked shot and her teammates repaid her by letting the Buckeyes score their first goal :shock:

Oden, Zumwinkle, Wethington played well.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Oct 25 10:18 pm

Hopefully lesson(s) learned for future road games, including tomorrow's rematch.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Oct 26 8:57 am

Gophers are not the team I thought they were. The first few weeks they played so fast and with so much jump.

Haven't seen that lately. I don't know if what I saw was a figment of my imagination or what the explanation is. Still think we can be good and am not putting any limit on what I think they can accomplish this year.

But I need to wipe the slate clean of my early impressions and just see what happens.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Oct 26 11:26 am

For whatever reason they were obviously not ready to play yesterday from the opening puck drop. Sure hope that's not the case this afternoon!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Oct 27 9:00 am

Well, Grace did for the team this weekend what Amy P did in the Bob Morris series. Way to go Grace!

It would be cool for both top lines to start playing great in the same series! And I predict Amy P is going to learn, as time goes on, that the shooting target is not the belly button of the goal tender but the back of the net.

My formulation is-we need to lose both games this weekend because we haven't shown we understand the need to work HARD enough consistently to win at the end of the year. A couple losses to Wisconsin would send a loud message to the team.

Fair enough, tongue was in cheek as I know these kinds of fan formulations can be a bit silly. We need to take wins vs Wisconsin whenever we can get 'em, and hopefully we win at the end of the year too :good2:

GO GOPHERS!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Oct 27 2:49 pm

Cornell's first 2 games of the season:
6-0, 3-0 over Robert Morris
#1 team in the country?............lol

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sat Nov 02 5:56 pm

Huge 4-2 win for the women over Wisconsin today. Really looked like the better team the last two periods

Greyeagle
Has liked: 467 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Nov 03 4:50 pm

Wicked awesome move!

Game goes as a tie, MN earns extra point in shootout.

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 03 5:01 pm

Earn 5 of 6 against number one... that’s good.
JWG
[This space for rent]

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Mon Nov 04 1:34 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Nov 03 4:50 pm
Wicked awesome move!

Game goes as a tie, MN earns extra point in shootout.

An oldie but a goody. :dup:

Okposo from Stoa.

Who did it better?

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Nov 04 2:00 pm

Potomak's between the legs goal is pretty sick. I'll take hers.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Nov 17 2:05 pm

14:24 to go in the second period yesterday, Sarah P chooses to pass instead of shoot into a wide open net, OMG :shock:
One of the most extreme cases ever!

But oh well, the Gophers had another good weekend. The team looks great.

Goaltenders are down to Scobee and King, a bit perilous.

Too bad Beebe boarded Shearen with a minute to go :evil:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 17 2:09 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Nov 04 2:00 pm
Potomak's between the legs goal is pretty sick. I'll take hers.
Okposo did it in during the game.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Nov 17 2:11 pm

Cornell opponents shooting % is .026. They have given up 4 goals, 2 of which were on PK. Granted they have only played 8 games, but their schedule has not been particularly weak. Clarkson and Cornell did tie 1-1.

They play Ohio State in Columbus in two weeks, keep your eyes on that series.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Nov 21 4:53 pm

Gabbie Hughes has 6g and 3a against the Gophers in 6 games.
Sydney Brodt is Hughes linemate and is also a very good player and extremely dangerous.
Ashton Bell has been moved back to D from forward this year in move that has worked very well for the Bulldogs.

Gophers need to knock the enthusiasm out of the Bulldogs because UMD and Hughes desperately want to beat the Gophers and if they get a leg up look out :shock:

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Nov 21 7:11 pm

She can't be another Brodt, can she? How is she related to the ones who played previously

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Thu Nov 21 7:38 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Nov 21 7:11 pm
She can't be another Brodt, can she? How is she related to the ones who played previously
She is not. I assumed that she must be but she is not a member of the clan.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Nov 22 7:42 am

Nice to see an article on Maura Crowell instead of Shannon Miller in the StarTribune this morning.

http://www.startribune.com/umd-women-s-hockey-coach-fights-to-make-her-mark-in-shadow-of-her-predecessor/565294542/

Although if it was really not about Shannon Miller it would have been in the sports page and not the front page :conf2:

Shannon Miller would not have experienced the treatment that allowed her to win her suit against UMD if she was not such an a**hole. Ironic that her obnoxiousness actually paid off in the courtroom. I'm sure she was called names and not renewed because she was so obnoxious and not because she was gay or Canadian. She likes to say men are allowed to be a**holes, why can't she. But she was worth it when she was winning big, and not worth it once she stopped winning. That door swings both ways.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Nov 22 2:07 pm

Sydney Shearen not on the line sheet for the Gophs.

But Paige Beebe IS on the line sheet for Bemidji State.

..............not good

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Nov 22 4:32 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Fri Nov 22 2:07 pm
Sydney Shearen not on the line sheet for the Gophs.

But Paige Beebe IS on the line sheet for Bemidji State.

..............not good
Worse than not good. It's terrible! :chainsaw:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Nov 23 9:02 am

UGH!

The theme for today comes from the Muppets.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Tue Nov 26 9:09 pm

Just up...!!!

Looks like the games Friday and Saturday vs Harvard and BC will be streamed on something called Livebarn.com

https://www.livebarn.com

$16.95 will get both games (per month). I love it :dup: :dance:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Nov 29 11:58 am

Makayla Pahl back on the line sheet for today v BC.

Gulstene and Shearen not so fortunate.

GO GOPHERS!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Fri Nov 29 7:27 pm

2-2 tie with BC
JWG
[This space for rent]

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Nov 30 8:21 am

I feel the Gophers have been out-competed, by and large, in the first game of every one of the 4 road series this year starting with Robert Morris. Our record in those games is 1-1-2, with the victory an OT victory.

It drives me crazy while I'm watching it.

OTOH-our opponents are probably giving their max effort of the year in these games. It is one of the few complaints I have of the team this year. The Gophers are 13-1-3 for the season so far. So I am wondering if I should judge the team less harshly in these cases. Or maybe the Gophers will never be out-competed again. One of the two would be good :wink:

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sun Dec 01 11:57 am

Lancaster wrote:
Tue Nov 26 9:09 pm
Just up...!!!

Looks like the games Friday and Saturday vs Harvard and BC will be streamed on something called Livebarn.com

https://www.livebarn.com

$16.95 will get both games (per month). I love it :dup: :dance:
Well, LiveBarn turned out to be a strange thing!

I'm still very happy they made it available, as I much preferred it to nothing! I synced it to Dan as I always do, although I muted the third period against BC because I was so angry with the Gophers performance after two periods. Not that the performance was Dan's fault...lol

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 5:52 pm

Gophers streak of not losing to Kato is 46

Arlan Marttila
Rookie

Post by Arlan Marttila » Mon Dec 09 12:43 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Dec 07 5:52 pm
Gophers streak of not losing to Kato is 46
Isn't it higher than that? The last loss to MSU that I remember is this one:
http://www.collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/wminmns1.j20

After that, there has been 12 1/2 years of conference games w/o a loss, so that would be 50 games, not including the playoffs and Saturday. So could it be 56, not 46?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Dec 09 1:32 pm

Could be. I just saw something on twitter that said 46. I do know that it has been a decade :)

Edit-- I did a quick check and you are correct, but it may actually be 57, but I could have counted wrong. Still, it is quite a streak.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Dec 13 10:23 am

Retired Thread Police

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Dec 13 4:48 pm

Darwitz may have been exaggerating just a bit, but since I've been following women's hockey, for roughly 20 years now, Krissy Wendell is without a doubt the most talented woman forward that I've had the pleasure of watching play the game.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Dec 14 8:34 am

Patrick Reusse in his twitter account yesterday took a shot at UND for dropping women's hockey. He doesn't say much positive re: women's hockey. I think because he considers Volleyball the best program on campus and GWH is a threat to that! Also he's just kind of a basketball guy..lol

But generally IMHO Reusse is very good at what he does and UND admin deserves all condemnation they can get. Way to go Patrick.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Dec 14 12:47 pm

The USA National Team faces off against Canada tonight in their "Rivalry Series" - 6:00pm on NBCsn. Gopher alumni who will take the ice include Megan Bozek, Dani Cameranesi, Amanda Kessel, Kelly Pannek, and Lee Stecklein.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Dec 19 4:29 pm

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Wed Jan 01 3:05 pm

Gophers are back in action this weekend vs Yale Bulldogs...GO GOPHERS!

After the first half of the season Cornell has the look of a for real team. One tidbit is a shooting percentage differential of 9.6% playing a very respectable schedule. Cornell is shooting 13.4% and their opponents just 3.8%. The only Gopher team to have a differential greater than that was the undefeated team at 9.7%.

Gophers are third in the country at the break in differential at 6.2%, shooting 11.9% and their opponents 5.7%.

Cornell is an experienced team with 6 seniors, 2 juniors and a sophomore their top 9 scorers.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Jan 10 4:33 pm

Wow, RIT beat Robert Morris today. Makes our games against Bob Mo look even worse.
But....
Union tied Cornell, holy smokes, so never mind.
Union’s been playing a bit better, but that’s relatively speaking. Big game for Union!

GO GOPHERS!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Jan 11 5:13 pm

St Cloud, to me, looks good for a team that is winless in the WCHA. I thought that both in this series and the series last fall.

Much better than the St Cloud or Mankato teams that were at the bottom of the conference a few years ago.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sat Jan 11 7:36 pm

Made the drive to St. Cloud today for the Gopher game with the oldest son. With all the selects stuff up there I've been to over the years it's probably my most visited out state rink. One of the most uncomfortable places in the state. Then today, during a video check on wether a goal had gone in the net or not, I'm staring down and have a sudden epiphany - not every seat is the same size. It only took me twenty some odd years to notice this. Good God I am dense.

Retired Thread Police

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Jan 11 10:18 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jan 11 5:13 pm
St Cloud, to me, looks good for a team that is winless in the WCHA. I thought that both in this series and the series last fall.

Much better than the St Cloud or Mankato teams that were at the bottom of the conference a few years ago.
I think you will continue to see a tightening in the overall talent level and the competitiveness between teams throughout women's D1 hockey, much like we've seen in men's D1 hockey (in the men's NCAA tournament, it's no longer a given that the No. 16 seed will lose to a higher seeded team). We are just in the beginning stages of this with respect to women's D1.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sun Jan 12 8:57 am

D2D wrote:
Sat Jan 11 10:18 pm
Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jan 11 5:13 pm

I think you will continue to see a tightening in the overall talent level and the competitiveness between teams throughout women's D1 hockey, much like we've seen in men's D1 hockey (in the men's NCAA tournament, it's no longer a given that the No. 16 seed will lose to a higher seeded team). We are just in the beginning stages of this with respect to women's D1.
While I agree with your theory in that the talent pool for women's hockey world wide grows every year. The two great levelling agents for men's hockey are not factors in the women's game.
  • Reduced impact of the superstar players: The top players, who gravitate to the top programs, are around for the full four years in the women's game while they are out the door in one or two (or in some cases never make it to campus) in the men's.
  • Junior hockey: No twenty year old freshmen in the women's game. Some European women might come in a year or two later than normal and there have been a few cases of French-Canadian girls taking a post graduate year at their prep schools, but the effect is very minor.

Retired Thread Police

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Jan 12 3:10 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Sun Jan 12 8:57 am
While I agree with your theory in that the talent pool for women's hockey world wide grows every year. The two great levelling agents for men's hockey are not factors in the women's game.
  • Reduced impact of the superstar players: The top players, who gravitate to the top programs, are around for the full four years in the women's game while they are out the door in one or two (or in some cases never make it to campus) in the men's.
  • Junior hockey: No twenty year old freshmen in the women's game. Some European women might come in a year or two later than normal and there have been a few cases of French-Canadian girls taking a post graduate year at their prep schools, but the effect is very minor.
Excellent points, Iceburg. In fact they both factor in to why I've come to appreciate the girls/women's game as much as I do: At each level (age group) you get to see the very best talent competing against one another. Unlike what you see in boys, the top girls don't leave high school (or their club team, as the case may be) early to play juniors, nor do the top college players leave school early to play pro's.

But I still believe that eventually we'll see an evening-out process at the women's D1 level as the number of girls playing hockey continues to increase across the entire country. As this process takes place - both here and abroad - and as the sport attracts more great athletes I think you'll start to see more parity at the college level. Schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin will still be able to offer only so many scholarships, leaving lots of excellent hockey players available for other programs to sign. When that day arrives it will be literally impossible for any team to string together a 60+ game winning streak like our Gophers managed to do just a few years ago. :D

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Jan 17 9:02 am

Big series vs Ohio State coming up. Ohio State is feeling their oats and believes they can beat the Gophers.

I think we may need a gritty version of Grace Zumwinkle. One that does not skate around the edges but engages in the backcheck, forecheck, and the battles along the boards.

Crystalyn Hengler began her sophomore slump vs Ohio State in the series last fall. That appears to be over. I have confidence in all 6 of our 'd'!

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Jan 17 1:29 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Fri Jan 17 9:02 am
Ohio State is feeling their oats and believes they can beat the Gophers.
Pretty easy to understand since they split their first series with the Gophers earlier in the season.

With all the distraction centered around playing outdoors in the Hockey Day Minnesota event I hope the home team can direct all of their attention on winning the first game of the series - at Ridder - this evening.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jan 17 6:45 pm

1-1 after one.

Retired Thread Police

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Jan 17 7:37 pm

Ohio State is playing great. Gophers had no sticks to start the game, could not catch a pass or carry a puck. Were lucky to come out of the first period 1-1. Buckeyes continued to take it to ‘em in the second period and the Gophers did not respond at all.

The officials also seem to be penalizing the Gophers for meek and ineffectual play as the calls have been bad. But whatever, we haven’t earned anything this game through two.

Let’s see if we can show anything at all in the third period.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Fri Jan 17 8:22 pm

You gotta give credit to Ohio State. They played great and humbled the Gophers. One has to hope we can learn something from the Buckeyes hard play and our lack of response.

It’s one thing to lose a hard fought battle. And sometimes you get beat by a so so team who’s day it was. But this was getting thumped by a good team you should have been ready for that just kicked your f*** ass.

Does anybody get credit for playing well? I’m thinking maybe:
1-Taylor Heise
2-Makayla Pahl

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Jan 17 11:09 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Jan 17 1:29 pm
With all the distraction centered around playing outdoors in the Hockey Day Minnesota event I hope the home team can direct all of their attention on winning the first game of the series - at Ridder - this evening.
Exactly what I was afraid of. Except for sporadic bursts, the lack of focus - and effort - was obvious. We'll see how they respond in the rematch tomorrow.

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Jan 18 9:04 am

For the record...last night vs the Buckeyes....
5 power plays for Ohio State
0 power plays for the Gophers
Now, complaining about the refs last night seems kind of like a pitcher who can’t hit the strike zone complaining that the ump is not giving him the corners. But it was pretty extreme!

GO GOPHERS, BETTER GAME TODAY!!!

Lancaster
Rookie

Post by Lancaster » Sat Jan 18 4:53 pm

Sydney Scobee is using a different technique today called “I am cold”!

They all look pretty cold. Gophers started better today and are fading for now 10 minutes in.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jan 18 5:06 pm

I don’t watch much women’s hockey so I don’t know if they are new for this event but I’m digging those maroon jerseys.
The cream buckeye ones not so much.