RIP Mack Motzko...

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times
Age: 42
Contact:

RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Sun Jul 25 12:11 pm

Terrible news today:

Mack Motzko died in a car accident last evening.



ADMIN: I broke this out from the original thread to it's own thread.

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2718
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Orion » Sun Jul 25 12:41 pm

That is every parents worst fear. How aweful.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 25 12:57 pm

Ish. News like this has always been heartbreaking, but it definitely hits different since the kiddo came around a couple years ago.

Feeling terrible for them.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Zwak » Sun Jul 25 1:10 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Sun Jul 25 12:11 pm
Terrible news today:

Mack Motzko died in a car accident last evening.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... -car-crash

So sad.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8974
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 696 times
Age: 34

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jul 25 1:18 pm

That is heartbreaking news. Thoughts and condolences to the Motzko family and those in the hockey community who are close to them. :(

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jul 25 1:58 pm

This is just tragic.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Oct 25 9:32 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by BlueBandit24 » Sun Jul 25 3:22 pm

Simply terrible. All the best to the Motzko family. Cannot fathom.

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8669
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 79 times
Age: 54

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by sunbone » Sun Jul 25 3:26 pm

I felt sick when I saw the story. Thoughts are with Coach Motzko and his family. 😢

User avatar
00xtremeninja
Veteran
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Nov 01 2:01 pm
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 77 times
Age: 36
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Jul 25 3:43 pm

So heartbreaking. I can't even fathom losing a child. Thoughts to Bob and his family
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 25 8:34 pm

Oh Lordie this is awful news. I can't imagine the thought of losing either of the boys who are within a few years of age of Mack.

:(
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 25 8:43 pm

Beautiful but absolutely crushing photo.


User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 138 times
Age: 35

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Jul 25 9:01 pm

That’s brutal news. Obviously prayers out to the Motzko family. No parent should have to go through losing their child, no matter how old.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jul 25 9:14 pm

Sounds like the other passenger was also killed….a 24 year old. The driver is 51 and has critical injuries. Sounds like alcohol and speed were factors.

We have two families suffering through losses of children.
Last edited by Bertogliat on Mon Jul 26 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Jul 25 9:37 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jul 25 9:14 pm
Sounds like alcohol and soled were factors.
I am not getting what "soled" means?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by JC65 » Sun Jul 25 9:39 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jul 25 9:37 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jul 25 9:14 pm
Sounds like alcohol and soled were factors.
I am not getting what "soled" means?
I assume "speed".

User avatar
Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 12572
Joined: Mon Nov 14 12:11 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 33 times
Age: 43

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Armadillo » Sun Jul 25 10:08 pm

Like so many here, I've felt sick since I heard the news. No parent should have to go through such hell.

RIP to Mack, healing wishes to the Motzkos.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 25 11:31 pm

No words. :(
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times
Age: 42

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jul 26 12:06 am

My daughter gets her drivers license this week. This stuff makes me want to cancel that appointment and wrap my kids in bubble wrap because the thought of going through this is beyond anything I could fathom. Holy cow.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 77 times
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Jul 26 7:45 am

When I was 20 years old, I thought I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I agree with what others have said, no parent should ever have to bury a child.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jul 26 8:54 am

This event again shows that tomorrow is never given. Heart goes out to the Motzko family.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 26 9:44 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jul 25 9:37 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jul 25 9:14 pm
Sounds like alcohol and soled were factors.
I am not getting what "soled" means?
speed.

Autocorrect is often worse than whatever I mistype on my cell phone.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Jul 26 1:33 pm

Yeah. The typing on a smart phone leaves something to be desired.
Re: Mack Motzko I am incapable of the words to express my grief for the family.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5386
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times
Age: 59
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by gopher6 » Mon Jul 26 4:14 pm

when I heard the name of the driver it scared me for a moment, its still scary but not the Blue I was thinking of

https://www.startribune.com/driver-iden ... 600081536/

User avatar
wincav
Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Mar 13 6:14 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by wincav » Mon Jul 26 4:33 pm

I am about the same age as coach Motzko. I tear up thinking about this tragedy. I can not fathom what these two families are going through. Please pray for all those involved.

younggopherdiehard
Veteran
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jan 11 10:29 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by younggopherdiehard » Mon Jul 26 5:49 pm

Sounds like a guy trying to show off to a bunch of 20 somethings. Really sad story.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10829
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 38

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by thinkbui » Mon Jul 26 11:33 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Mon Jul 26 7:45 am
When I was 20 years old, I thought I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I agree with what others have said, no parent should ever have to bury a child.
Imagine how much growing up Mack's siblings have had to do in the past couple of days. I may have had to bury one of my high school classmates while still in high school, but it's a hell of a lot different when it's a family member, especially an immediate family member.

Knowing the type of guy tBob is, I wish like hell I could do more than just offer condolences.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 27 3:12 am

thinkbui wrote:
Mon Jul 26 11:33 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Mon Jul 26 7:45 am
When I was 20 years old, I thought I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I agree with what others have said, no parent should ever have to bury a child.
Imagine how much growing up Mack's siblings have had to do in the past couple of days. I may have had to bury one of my high school classmates while still in high school, but it's a hell of a lot different when it's a family member, especially an immediate family member.

Knowing the type of guy tBob is, I wish like hell I could do more than just offer condolences.
The Gopher Rubes page on Facebook is taking donations to send plants (not flowers) to the family.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14966
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by streakygopher » Tue Jul 27 9:10 am

Haven't confirmed, but I heard today from a friend that the other young man in the car was Mack's sister's boyfriend.

I have known too many in my life who have lost a child. There is never "getting over it." It's a grief that families carry around always and simply learn to live with.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2907
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 163 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Vegoe » Tue Jul 27 9:19 am

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 27 9:10 am
Haven't confirmed, but I heard today from a friend that the other young man in the car was Mack's sister's boyfriend.

I have known too many in my life who have lost a child. There is never "getting over it." It's a grief that families carry around always and simply learn to live with.


Lot of details in here by Jess -- I know these details surrounding the crash shouldn't matter, but so many of them brought out some feels.

The driver lives in a $5-$6M home and was showing off his $200k Bentley to these kids.
Schuneman was supposed to already have flown home, but extended his stay for another night out with friends.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 9198
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Jul 27 10:45 am

Crazy, that both wearing their seatbelts died, one at the scene and one later, but the driver, thrown from his vehicle and not wearing a seatbelt, survived.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8974
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 696 times
Age: 34

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jul 27 11:10 am

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 27 9:10 am
Haven't confirmed, but I heard today from a friend that the other young man in the car was Mack's sister's boyfriend.

I have known too many in my life who have lost a child. There is never "getting over it." It's a grief that families carry around always and simply learn to live with.
I read that too (the other guy being the boyfriend of Mack’s sister).

I’m curious to know how the kids knew the driver; is he a friend or family, or did they just climb in the car with a random guy because he offered them a private party and a ride in a cool car?

It’s all just such a tragedy.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Zwak » Tue Jul 27 11:15 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Jul 27 11:10 am
streakygopher wrote:
Tue Jul 27 9:10 am
Haven't confirmed, but I heard today from a friend that the other young man in the car was Mack's sister's boyfriend.

I have known too many in my life who have lost a child. There is never "getting over it." It's a grief that families carry around always and simply learn to live with.
I read that too (the other guy being the boyfriend of Mack’s sister).

I’m curious to know how the kids knew the driver; is he a friend or family, or did they just climb in the car with a random guy because he offered them a private party and a ride in a cool car?

It’s all just such a tragedy.
Here's the text of a Twitter thread from Lou Raguse at KARE-11 from about 1:30 pm yesterday (Monday)

According to Orono Police, the two young men killed were Sam Schuneman, 24, and Mack Motzko, 20. The 51-year-old driver was hurt and is at North Memorial Hospital. PD says the driver was the only one not seatbelted and was ejected from the car.

KARE 11 is not naming the driver since he is now subject to a criminal investigation but has not yet be charged.

Orono Police says "alcohol and speed appear to be contributing factors"

Rashed Elbaba, a friend of Sam Schuneman's told me they were drinking at Maynards that night, and the 51yo invited the group of about 10 people to his house for a small party. At one point, 51yo wanted to show his car--a 2017 Bentley Flying Spur--to Schuneman and Motzko.

Some friends started to get nervous when the 51yo and the two young men were gone from the party for a while. Elbaba, the friend I spoke to did not realize they had gone for a drive. When they heard sirens down the road, they eventually realized it involved their friends.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 27 11:19 am

If you're any of the parents I wonder it it's call they can do to not want to go medieval on the driver. Yes I realize the kids made a bad choice to get into the car in the first place, but [sigh]..... :(
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8974
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 696 times
Age: 34

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jul 27 11:25 am

I saw that story too - it leads you to believe they just accepted an offer from a stranger at a bar - but I was just curious if there was some backstory on knowing him. How often do 20 year olds decide it’s a cool thing to go party with a 50 year old they don’t know. Yes, I realize kids do dumb things.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15406
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 616 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Jupiter » Tue Jul 27 11:37 am

I just broke this topic out from the Gopher Offseason thread.... I think it deserves it's own thread.

younggopherdiehard
Veteran
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jan 11 10:29 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by younggopherdiehard » Tue Jul 27 12:28 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Jul 27 11:25 am
I saw that story too - it leads you to believe they just accepted an offer from a stranger at a bar - but I was just curious if there was some backstory on knowing him. How often do 20 year olds decide it’s a cool thing to go party with a 50 year old they don’t know. Yes, I realize kids do dumb things.
It will be interesting to find out if there is a prior connection to the guy, but I can see the offer to party at a $5m+ house with fancy cars (and likely a nice liquor selection) enough to entice young adults to come over. Sure seems like the guy was trying to show off…

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 77 times
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Jul 28 7:13 am

If the details above are true, the driver's problems have only just begun.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 28 7:53 am

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jul 28 7:13 am
If the details above are true, the driver's problems have only just begun.
I think Maynards might have some issues too.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10829
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 38

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by thinkbui » Wed Jul 28 3:03 pm

The driver sounds like a Jay Leno wannabe. "You like my cool cars? Do want to go for a ride in one?"

I would hope that the people he invited to his house included folks closer to his age and not just college-aged kids. Sure I myself have a connection with the Hockey Cheer Team, but only so far as it's a tradition that dates back to when I was 22 and even when I was 28, I knew that there were boundaries I can't cross and have to be clear that I don't expect anything in return for the roses and things, so when I see this 51 year old trying to show off to a couple of 20-somes when he got them killed, all I can think is "WTF?".
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Jul 28 4:10 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jul 28 7:53 am
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jul 28 7:13 am
If the details above are true, the driver's problems have only just begun.
I think Maynards might have some issues too.
Question will be whether the driver was over-served. It will take some time for toxicology screens to be run before that starts up.

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5101
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 35 times
Age: 39

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Gopherguy05 » Wed Jul 28 4:24 pm


User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Norm » Wed Jul 28 5:54 pm

Maybe it just seems this way, but why is it the drunk driver always survives the crashes they cause?

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times
Age: 42

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jul 28 7:12 pm

Norm wrote:
Wed Jul 28 5:54 pm
Maybe it just seems this way, but why is it the drunk driver always survives the crashes they cause?
I know what you are saying, but I am going to withhold all judgement until I have all the facts. Maybe he was sober (I understand likely he was not) but all parties were of age to make their own decisions. I realize this may sound callous and it probably is, but I approach a lot of stuff like the courts would I feel and Ski-U-Mah Law eluded to this is just beginning.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 29 9:39 am

Updated article from StarTribune regarding the driver:

https://www.startribune.com/orono-man-t ... 600082510/

From the article:

"Blue told police at the scene of the crash that he was "guilty" and had been drinking at Maynard's Restaurant in Excelsior, according to a search warrant."

"Witnesses told authorities that Blue was driving "in excess of 100 mph in a posted 40 mph zone around a curve on a hill."

"While authorities have not said how Blue was connected to the victims, a friend who was at a party with them at Blue's lakeshore home offered an account of the time leading up to the crash.

Rashed Elbaba said he and his friends first met Blue that night. Blue invited about 10 to 12 of his friends in their early to mid-20s to his house for a party after they were out at Maynard's earlier that day.

He thought Motzko and Schuneman were touring the house or garage, where they discovered Blue had a "cool car and wanted to check it out."
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14966
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jul 29 9:48 am

"in excess of 100 mph in a posted 40 mph zone around a curve on a hill."

Pretty much all you need to know. Good gawd.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by JC65 » Thu Jul 29 9:58 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:39 am
Updated article from StarTribune regarding the driver:

https://www.startribune.com/orono-man-t ... 600082510/

From the article:

...
Rashed Elbaba said he and his friends first met Blue that night. Blue invited about 10 to 12 of his friends in their early to mid-20s to his house for a party after they were out at Maynard's earlier that day.

He thought Motzko and Schuneman were touring the house or garage, where they discovered Blue had a "cool car and wanted to check it out."
If they were at the guy's house AFTER leaving Maynard's, Maynards could claim he wasn't over-served in the bar. (Unless there are witnesses to claim he was obviously impaired while in the bar).

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14966
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jul 29 10:03 am

JC65 wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:58 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:39 am
Updated article from StarTribune regarding the driver:

https://www.startribune.com/orono-man-t ... 600082510/

From the article:

...
Rashed Elbaba said he and his friends first met Blue that night. Blue invited about 10 to 12 of his friends in their early to mid-20s to his house for a party after they were out at Maynard's earlier that day.

He thought Motzko and Schuneman were touring the house or garage, where they discovered Blue had a "cool car and wanted to check it out."
If they were at the guy's house AFTER leaving Maynard's, Maynards could claim he wasn't over-served in the bar. (Unless there are witnesses to claim he was obviously impaired while in the bar).
It will be messy, and maybe Maynard's escapes harm, but in the end the guy is in huge trouble and may go to prison for it. Driving 100 mph on that road is tantamount to waving a loaded gun around with your finger on the trigger. Extreme negligence.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 29 10:06 am

Not that it matters, but if witnesses see a car speed by, how do they know it was going in excess of 100?

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20711
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jul 29 10:07 am

The whole situation seems creepy and quickly became tragic.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2959
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Maize » Thu Jul 29 10:15 am

Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:06 am
Not that it matters, but if witnesses see a car speed by, how do they know it was going in excess of 100?
They don't; it's a guess. But it doesn't really matter because with the forensics they'll do, they'll be able recreate the circumstances of the crash with a lot of specificity.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 29 10:23 am

Maize wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:15 am
Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:06 am
Not that it matters, but if witnesses see a car speed by, how do they know it was going in excess of 100?
They don't; it's a guess. But it doesn't really matter because with the forensics they'll do, they'll be able recreate the circumstances of the crash with a lot of specificity.
Totally agree. Also from the article:

"Because of Blue's injuries, officers were unable to conduct field sobriety tests at the crash scene. A warrant was issued to collect a blood sample from his room at North Memorial around 1 a.m. Sunday."

There are lawyers that specialize in this. The families of the injured and deceased are likely getting inundated right now with requests.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu Jul 29 10:54 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:23 am
Maize wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:15 am
Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 29 10:06 am
Not that it matters, but if witnesses see a car speed by, how do they know it was going in excess of 100?
They don't; it's a guess. But it doesn't really matter because with the forensics they'll do, they'll be able recreate the circumstances of the crash with a lot of specificity.
Totally agree. Also from the article:

"Because of Blue's injuries, officers were unable to conduct field sobriety tests at the crash scene. A warrant was issued to collect a blood sample from his room at North Memorial around 1 a.m. Sunday."

There are lawyers that specialize in this. The families of the injured and deceased are likely getting inundated right now with requests.
Hey now! I resemble this remark!

I trust that Bob and his family have no shortage of resources on which to draw from in a situation like this. I will just mourn the situation.

Lancaster
Rookie
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Oct 21 8:50 am
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Lancaster » Thu Jul 29 11:20 am

It seems this Blue fellow may be giving extreme immaturity in 50 year old men a very bad name.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jul 29 12:13 pm

Lancaster wrote:
Thu Jul 29 11:20 am
It seems this Blue fellow may be giving extreme immaturity in 50 year old men a very bad name.
Image
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Jul 29 12:13 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Jul 27 10:45 am
Crazy, that both wearing their seatbelts died, one at the scene and one later, but the driver, thrown from his vehicle and not wearing a seatbelt, survived.
So I’m having a hard time believing this information. ST just posted a booking photo of the driver. There is no way on gods green earth that man was “ejected” from the car. Physics are against that scenario.
1) very little facial injury. Ejection would have had him going through a windshield.
2) statements he was found 6-10 feet from the car. IF the speed was even HALF the reported 100mph he would have flown far more then 10 feet.
I think he was wearing a seatbelt and in the aftermath of the accident, got out of the car and stumbled away. An airbag saved him and not the other two.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 29 3:04 pm

Here's a link to Mack's obituary. There's also a celebration wall where people can leave condolences.

https://www.williamsdingmann.com/obitua ... rationWall
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 29 3:23 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Jul 29 12:13 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Jul 27 10:45 am
Crazy, that both wearing their seatbelts died, one at the scene and one later, but the driver, thrown from his vehicle and not wearing a seatbelt, survived.
So I’m having a hard time believing this information. ST just posted a booking photo of the driver. There is no way on gods green earth that man was “ejected” from the car. Physics are against that scenario.
1) very little facial injury. Ejection would have had him going through a windshield.
2) statements he was found 6-10 feet from the car. IF the speed was even HALF the reported 100mph he would have flown far more then 10 feet.
I think he was wearing a seatbelt and in the aftermath of the accident, got out of the car and stumbled away. An airbag saved him and not the other two.
I would guess many people are ejected out the side window and not the windshield. Did the car roll or hit head on?

User avatar
5 O.T.
Veteran
Posts: 4897
Joined: Fri Jul 29 4:31 pm
Location: In the "Ne" Section
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Jul 29 4:28 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 29 3:23 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Jul 29 12:13 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Jul 27 10:45 am
Crazy, that both wearing their seatbelts died, one at the scene and one later, but the driver, thrown from his vehicle and not wearing a seatbelt, survived.
So I’m having a hard time believing this information. ST just posted a booking photo of the driver. There is no way on gods green earth that man was “ejected” from the car. Physics are against that scenario.
1) very little facial injury. Ejection would have had him going through a windshield.
2) statements he was found 6-10 feet from the car. IF the speed was even HALF the reported 100mph he would have flown far more then 10 feet.
I think he was wearing a seatbelt and in the aftermath of the accident, got out of the car and stumbled away. An airbag saved him and not the other two.
I would guess many people are ejected out the side window and not the windshield. Did the car roll or hit head on?
I think Kelly is right. Watch the KSTP News report. It shows the path off the road that the car took straight into a grove of trees. The car didn't roll.
https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/passeng ... d/6184175/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a1 ... st-review/

The car was a 2017 Bentley Flying Spur. It is a 5509 lb tank. Horsepower is rated from 521 to 626. According to Car and Driver it can go from 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds and 0 to 100 in 10.5 seconds. "The car’s massive size—the wheelbase alone stretches more than 10 feet—and prodigious weight keep it from being much fun on a twisty road, but in curves the body stays heroically flat, making it feel more planted than expected."

That Bentley is a top of the line luxury car. It has one of the safest interiors of any car on the road. Structurally sound. Multiple airbags throughout. That's probably what saved the driver. The trees that the car hit on the right side probably killed the other two. Reports are they both sustained multiple blunt force injuries. Likely from the tree or trees coming down on them. Airbags couldn't save them from what hit them from above.

If James Blue was ejected, as Kelly said, he would have been much further then 6-10 feet away. He would have been gravely injured and would have looked like hamburger. The picture of Blue in the Star/Tribune today showed a guy that looked as though he wasn't injured at all. A few scrapes on his face. It doesn't even look like he's been in a bar fight let alone having just survived a high speed car crash. His facial injuries look more like the kind of abrasions you would get from a air bag slamming into his face. There is most likely a lot of his dna on the drivers side air bag which would dispel the story that he was ejected.
https://www.startribune.com/orono-drive ... 600082832/

I think Kelly is spot on, he survived the crash. Saved by driver side airbags. Got out of the car and was found 6-10 feet from the car. He may have passed out, may have been in shock. I think it's an absolute impossibility that he was ejected from the car. That will all come out eventually.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm

I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14554
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 60 times
Age: 53

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jul 30 10:36 am

Gee, by the time I turned 40, probably sooner, I stopped driving fast anywhere. This guy is 50+, drunk, and driving fast on a windy road? Moron does not even begin to describe it. What a senseless tragedy. My utmost sympathy to the families of the young men.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by JC65 » Fri Jul 30 11:05 am

I'm having trouble finding it, but I'm pretty sure I read that the guy had a speeding ticket on his record for 80+ in a 45 (or something). Considering how seldom speeding actually gets enforced, I'm going to assume he is a chronically dangerous driver.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10829
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 38

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by thinkbui » Fri Jul 30 11:59 am

JC65 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 11:05 am
I'm having trouble finding it, but I'm pretty sure I read that the guy had a speeding ticket on his record for 80+ in a 45 (or something). Considering how seldom speeding actually gets enforced, I'm going to assume he is a chronically dangerous driver.
It's in the STrib article Zwak posted yesterday morning: https://www.startribune.com/orono-man-t ... 600082510/
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 30 12:17 pm

You can access previous court records in Mn here. He had a couple of brushes with the law years ago, his speeding ticket and a couple of other items in civil court, including a recent one in July.
https://www.mncourts.gov/Access-Case-Re ... emote.aspx
Hit access case records
Minnesota District Court Case search
MPA Remote
Accept terms
Then you can search criminal or civil cases.
Punch in his name. There are a couple of James Blue's. His middle name is David.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10829
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 38

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by thinkbui » Fri Jul 30 12:47 pm

The more I read, the more I feel bad for Ella. Not only did she lose two of the most important people in her life, she saw the immediate aftermath of the crash that claimed them. It really tears at your heart and I feel numb just thinking about it.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4989
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Chris83 » Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Jul 30 2:49 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 30 12:17 pm
You can access previous court records in Mn here. He had a couple of brushes with the law years ago, his speeding ticket and a couple of other items in civil court, including a recent one in July.
https://www.mncourts.gov/Access-Case-Re ... emote.aspx
Hit access case records
Minnesota District Court Case search
MPA Remote
Accept terms
Then you can search criminal or civil cases.
Punch in his name. There are a couple of James Blue's. His middle name is David.
That same site will tell you that Mr. Blue is recently divorced, also. He and his now ex jointly filed for divorce on July 1, 2021 and it was granted on the 9th. That might provide some further insight into his situation on the evening in question.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9962
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 191 times
Age: 48

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jul 30 4:33 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2:49 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 30 12:17 pm
You can access previous court records in Mn here. He had a couple of brushes with the law years ago, his speeding ticket and a couple of other items in civil court, including a recent one in July.
https://www.mncourts.gov/Access-Case-Re ... emote.aspx
Hit access case records
Minnesota District Court Case search
MPA Remote
Accept terms
Then you can search criminal or civil cases.
Punch in his name. There are a couple of James Blue's. His middle name is David.
That same site will tell you that Mr. Blue is recently divorced, also. He and his now ex jointly filed for divorce on July 1, 2021 and it was granted on the 9th. That might provide some further insight into his situation on the evening in question.
Don't want to rush to conclusion here... but that's certainly suggestive, yes.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8974
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 696 times
Age: 34

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 30 10:45 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
Drunk folk generally tend to make extra poor decisions.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 30 10:52 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 30 10:45 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
Drunk folk generally tend to make extra poor decisions.
I am interested in your views, and would like to inquire about a subscription. :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 31 12:33 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
Oh b.s. I've driven that road HUNDREDS of times and in the right conditions 50 mph is more than manageable. You don't have to sound like a prude to make the point - this guy was a moron. Drunk, way over the limit, at night. That's all that needs to be said. :)
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18054
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 31 12:34 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
I've driven that road HUNDREDS of times and in the right conditions 50 mph is more than manageable. But this guy was a moron and took way too far - drunk, far too fast and at night.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 31 7:53 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 31 12:33 am
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
Oh b.s. I've driven that road HUNDREDS of times and in the right conditions 50 mph is more than manageable. You don't have to sound like a prude to make the point - this guy was a moron. Drunk, way over the limit, at night. That's all that needs to be said. :)
There is a similar road in Da UP (a little less curvy, 55mph limit) where I've gone well over that. THIS particular road, I wouldn't. *shrug*
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jul 31 9:43 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 31 12:33 am
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:37 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:44 pm
I know that road fairly well, it's one of two direct routes to Back Channel Brewing. 100 on that road is INSANE, even if you are (insert top NASCAR/F1 here). Anything more than 60 or so is really pushing it hardcore, IMO. Tight curves, blind curves, you name it. Not a road you really want to push the limits.
I guess I'm just a conservative driver, but I can't imagine going much over 40 mph on that road at any time, let alone 60 or 100...at night...after drinking.
In the 40mph, I've gone a touch over, not on purpose, more of a "oh crap, slow down, oops." I would never even think of doing what he did.
Oh b.s. I've driven that road HUNDREDS of times and in the right conditions 50 mph is more than manageable. You don't have to sound like a prude to make the point - this guy was a moron. Drunk, way over the limit, at night. That's all that needs to be said. :)
Do we know his BAL? Or do you mean way over the speed limit?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: RIP Mack Motzko...

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 31 10:15 am

It's been pretty much deduced he was speeding way over the limit. I don't think the blood tests are back for the BAL.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Post Reply