Gopher Offseason 2021...

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by Laxref » Sat Apr 10 9:09 am

What an easy kid to root for.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Sat Apr 10 9:31 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:39 am
1. Laffer said really nice things about Moe, and called out the people on social media who were not nice to Moe
He was referring directly to me without saying my name during the Zoom call. And I honestly love that he threw me under the bus. You should have seen the nervous smile on my face, I am guessing he noticed it too. Makes me like this young man even more.

Jaykay3
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jaykay3 » Sat Apr 10 9:59 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 10:18 pm
Lacombe had the quietest second team all american season I can remember in my life. Not that not noticing D is a bad thing, I was just very surprised to see that one.

Any of Faber/Lacombe/Johnson/Koster could be a second team all american again next year with the first two having potential for first team alongside Sanderson/Power/Kaiser.
Clearly just looking at points. LaCombe was really good this year but Johnson and Faber are both better and more important defenders.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 10 10:16 am

For some reason, Lacombe scares me sometimes when he handles the puck. Most of the time he pulls it off though.

wincav
Rookie
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by wincav » Sat Apr 10 10:33 am

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:46 pm
Someone’s gotta teach Jack how to play the puck over the offseason lol
He is too indecisive behind the net with the puck. He waits too long before he moves the puck and sadly there are times he has an open player close by. That said, I really like him a lot! Great kid!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 599 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 10 11:07 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:15 pm
The 3 things that stood out from this--
1. Laffer said really nice things about Moe, and called out the people on social media who were not nice to Moe
2. The biggest smile from him was talking about Wait's goal and how happy he and his teammates are for him. Wait was his roommate last year.
3. Just a regular Friday night for him as he is writing his thesis for a class.

Of all the players that have come through Minnesota, Laffer is in my top 5. Seems like a great, thoughtful young man and leader. If he can come close to this years numbers next year, it will be fun. #UnFinishedBusiness
LaFontaine is an excellent goalie, and very deserving of the Richter award. Maybe being the “best” includes some of the off ice characteristics, which we are a witness to in that video. He seems like an insanely hard working, genuine, and intelligent guy. The fact he is thrilled about a former teammate’s success, and supports another through a difficult decision speaks volumes. His on ice statistics certainly were enough to earn him the award, but maybe some of those qualities as a human being were the difference in the results.

What a standout young man. I am beyond ecstatic to have him back next year and think the team would be well-served to have him leading as a captain.

Season 101 of Gopher Hockey is going to be a fun ride. Looking forward to that countdown clock.....

Bale
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bale » Sat Apr 10 11:40 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Apr 10 8:36 am
Bale wrote:
Fri Apr 09 9:02 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:39 pm
Bale wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:28 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:00 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:57 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:50 pm
Two more faces on the mural👍 two great players. And McKay did get robbed lol.
Did he though? He made 240 less saves and had a save percentage 10 points lower.
Really? Did not know that. Was just going by the old fashioned eye test. He was a brick wall in our regional game but then again that could’ve been a product of the team defense in front of him.
Let's be honest, the conference continues to work against both teams and individual players. Everyone doubts the quality of mankato as a team because of the conference and the same thing happens to individual players. And God forbid you have a good team around a player, because that's another strike against him.

This was proven last year when he lost to swayman. McKay literally had better stats in every category except the number of saves. That was the knock and rationalization. What's being said by these awards is that if you are in the wcha, you aren't allowed to have a bad game or you will be penalized. Remember, McKay was considered one of the favorites for the hobey until he had one bad game and I distinctly remember people saying that he lost the hobby. Then he had another bad game in the conference tourney and he lost the Richter.

And the reason that so many players and fans are upset is because msu has been discounted over and over and over, to many this is just one more slap in the face to the program (and, yes, I know it's overly dramatic but that's likely how people would describe it). Personally, I'm not surprised. In fact i said as much to jup just a week ago. If you listened to guys like women, he made it very obvious he was discounting everything...and almost reveling in it.
I get the disappointment of McKay not winning it, but it is not like Laffer is a 3rd string goalie with a GAA of 5.76. It was a coin flip in my opinion, and I would have been ok with McKay winning it. I honestly thought Knight would somehow sneak in and win it based on his history with USA hockey. I also understand his teammates having his back, but the media members reactions have been over the top. They act like it was a no brainer, and again, Laffer had a very, very good year.
Just curious what/who you thought was.over the top. I the shane frederick was bending over backwards to NOT do what you're suggesting.

I just think it's interesting the way non-wcha media/fans work to discount him so much. He's not an nhl draftees, but imagine a guy having 24 shutouts in 3 years in the big ten, hockey east or nchc (and make no mistake they each have some pretty bad teams too). People would be drooling.
Again, I think it was a toss up, and feel that either player could have won. A couple of things on twitter stand out for me. Shane pointed out that McKay is only 5'11'' and undrafted. What has that have to do with anything? So the voters did not vote for McKay because he is shorter? :confused2: Also McKay's record over the past 3 years is being brought up. There is no argument that his last 3 years have been great, and much better than Laffer, but it is based on this year, and one could argue that it is too close to call. When Dan Myers chimes in and Bruce "Jock Sniffer and I hate MINNESOTA with a passion" Ciskie says that it was a JOKE Laffer won, that is over the top. If the votes ever come out, I would imagine that it was a razor thin win by Laffer. Luckily no one died, and if McKay comes back, this may give him and the rest of the team more fuel to their fire. ( BTW, I wish Kato would have beaten SCSU)
Fair enough. I will say shane made many more points and the height one was the only one that mentioned it. In his defense, the undrafted, short goalie is the refrain that we've heard for 3 years now. His overall point was not that Laffer didn't deserve it, but people have been discounting mckay for 3 years because he'd short and because he likely doesn't have an nhl future and he's got a good defense around him and because he doesn't face enough shots and because he plays in the wcha. And it goes on and on.

For what it's worth, this team team far exceeded my expectations this year. I think next year will be a better team.im very hopeful after seeing the way Smith seemed to grow up in the last couple weeks. If it's real, the offense has the chance to be really good and the defense will continue to be very very solid. I'm ready for next year to start already.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Apr 10 12:03 pm

We can sit here and go back and forth on why Laffer won and McKay lost, but Bale is right about what Freddy said...it's not that Laffer won and McKay sucks, Laffer won and McKay is still an outstanding goalie. These awards are given to the best college hockey player much like the Heisman is for the best college football player. College awards don't mean future success i.e. Tim Tebow. McKay's physical stature didn't lose him the award just as much as Laffer's size didn't get him the award. The voters thought he was the best goalie at the time they voted. We don't know anything else about why they voted that way.

Switch the teams those two goalies play on and who knows if they are even as good. But for damn sure both goalies are a big reason why both teams ended up in the postseason this year. When those goalies are playing very well it allows each team to play differently knowing that goalie has their back. It will be interesting to watch next season how each of these goalies plays with a hopefully normal season. Mix in some non-conference games to really see how they stack up and again they will be a big reason for post season success if they continue to play the way they did this season.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Apr 10 1:25 pm

Bale wrote:
Fri Apr 09 9:02 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:39 pm
Bale wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:28 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:00 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:57 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:50 pm
Two more faces on the mural👍 two great players. And McKay did get robbed lol.
Did he though? He made 240 less saves and had a save percentage 10 points lower.
Really? Did not know that. Was just going by the old fashioned eye test. He was a brick wall in our regional game but then again that could’ve been a product of the team defense in front of him.
Let's be honest, the conference continues to work against both teams and individual players. Everyone doubts the quality of mankato as a team because of the conference and the same thing happens to individual players. And God forbid you have a good team around a player, because that's another strike against him.

This was proven last year when he lost to swayman. McKay literally had better stats in every category except the number of saves. That was the knock and rationalization. What's being said by these awards is that if you are in the wcha, you aren't allowed to have a bad game or you will be penalized. Remember, McKay was considered one of the favorites for the hobey until he had one bad game and I distinctly remember people saying that he lost the hobby. Then he had another bad game in the conference tourney and he lost the Richter.

And the reason that so many players and fans are upset is because msu has been discounted over and over and over, to many this is just one more slap in the face to the program (and, yes, I know it's overly dramatic but that's likely how people would describe it). Personally, I'm not surprised. In fact i said as much to jup just a week ago. If you listened to guys like women, he made it very obvious he was discounting everything...and almost reveling in it.
I get the disappointment of McKay not winning it, but it is not like Laffer is a 3rd string goalie with a GAA of 5.76. It was a coin flip in my opinion, and I would have been ok with McKay winning it. I honestly thought Knight would somehow sneak in and win it based on his history with USA hockey. I also understand his teammates having his back, but the media members reactions have been over the top. They act like it was a no brainer, and again, Laffer had a very, very good year.
Just curious what/who you thought was.over the top. I the shane frederick was bending over backwards to NOT do what you're suggesting.

I just think it's interesting the way non-wcha media/fans work to discount him so much. He's not an nhl draftees, but imagine a guy having 24 shutouts in 3 years in the big ten, hockey east or nchc (and make no mistake they each have some pretty bad teams too). People would be drooling.
The shutout numbers are impressive. I didn’t exactly follow Mankato but it sure appeared during the Gopher game that when they get a lead they’re happy to sit back and play essentially four “defenseman.” If they played defensive minded like that all season, as a team, I understand the shutouts.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Apr 11 1:44 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:15 pm
The 3 things that stood out from this--
2. The biggest smile from him was talking about Wait's goal and how happy he and his teammates are for him. Wait was his roommate last year.
3. Just a regular Friday night for him as he is writing his thesis for a class.

Of all the players that have come through Minnesota, Laffer is in my top 5. Seems like a great, thoughtful young man and leader. If he can come close to this years numbers next year, it will be fun. #UnFinishedBusiness
100% agree about Laffer. Seems like an absolutely outstanding young man. A great leader and great teammate. Really glad he chose to stick around for another year, both for on-ice and off-ice reasons.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Miller77
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Miller77 » Sun Apr 11 9:22 am

Hey Bale - Who is the Smith that you are referring to in your post? Thanks for clarifying...

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Sun Apr 11 9:40 am

Miller77 wrote:
Sun Apr 11 9:22 am
Hey Bale - Who is the Smith that you are referring to in your post? Thanks for clarifying...
#8 - Nathan Smith

Bale
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bale » Sun Apr 11 8:46 pm

Miller77 wrote:
Sun Apr 11 9:22 am
Nathan Smith. #8 3rd round draft pick for the jets. Hes been hard to read because he came from Florida and didn't play against much competition in high school. In 45 hs games he had 176 past (88 goals and 88 assists). He finally hit his stride in the last month of this season.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Apr 12 4:18 am

Maize wrote:
Fri Apr 09 5:50 pm
gopheritall wrote:
Fri Apr 09 5:09 pm
Seems strange a goalie in the hobey hattrick doesnt win it. Not complaining, love Jack, just seems odd.
Two different committees voting and two different times they vote. Richter vote was done before the regionals and Hobey vote was done after the regionals. Also, I believe Hobey vote is just picking one name, but Richter vote is ranked choice for three candidates. I could see everyone that voted for McKay also picking LaFontaine, but some people that picked LaFontaine not including McKay.
Final round of Hobey voting is also ranked choice for three candidates.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Apr 12 4:21 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:44 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Apr 09 6:02 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 09 5:58 pm
So they couldn’t interview Caufield with the other two immediately before the award was announced because he was busy with his current team, but they did after (five minutes later) - or was it prerecorded aka he already knew??
Pre recorded. Plus, the little guy has his 1st AHL game tonight starting at 6pm, so I'm sure he was in full pregame mode.
Is the Hobey typically awarded with the winner already knowing in advance - or is that only done when the winner is unavailable?
Only a handful of people know the result prior to announcement - 1-2 people @ PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) and 1-2 people on the Hobey award committee. Not even the individual voters know the final result prior to the announcement; they (try to) keep that $#1t locked down.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 13 2:09 pm

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Tue Apr 13 2:15 pm

Interactions can be positive or negative...
March had:
+: Big win over uw in the conference tournament
+: Blowout of Omaha
-: Blown regular season shot in Michigan series
-: Embarrassing showing vs. little brother Mankato

A month full of "interaction-worthy" moments for the Gophers. I'm guessing the lion's share of interactions are likes, though.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by gopher6 » Tue Apr 13 2:44 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 13 2:15 pm
March had:

A month full of "interaction-worthy" moments for the Gophers. I'm guessing the lion's share of interactions are likes, though.
Getting swept at home vs ND and Baddddgers
🤬🤬🤬

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 13 2:46 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Apr 13 2:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
March had:

🤬🤬🤬
But those 2 series were not in March.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Tue Apr 13 10:27 pm

Sounds like home and home with Kato will be on the cards. I'd think home and home with Duluth given our removal from the Ice Breaker. Probably choose to make the Kato away trip this year since I haven't done that one for ages.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Apr 13 10:40 pm

Next season is a HUGE one for the Gophers...when you consider Lacome, Johnson & Faber will ALL most likely sign pro contracts at the conclusion on 21-22. The last time a team placed 3 D on the USA World Junior team, they had a couple seasons that ended well 😉 Accordingly, it will be critical for the Gophers to make hay next season...and there’s no sugar coating it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 13 11:14 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Apr 13 2:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
March had:

🤬🤬🤬
If there's ever a cloud in a silver lining you two will find it.
Currently under construction.

Jaykay3
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Jaykay3 » Wed Apr 14 10:03 am

Jaykay3 wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:06 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Apr 06 2:43 pm
Line combo's....GO!
McLaughlin-Walker-Lucius
Broz-Meyers-Pitlick
Knies-Nelson-Brodzinski

Burke or Sorenson-Perbix-Nevers or Huglen

Schmidt

Johnson-Faber

Staudacher-LaCombe

Brinkman-Koster

Stucker, Fish

LaFontaine
Boynton
Taking out Stucker and Burke:

McLaughlin-Walker-Lucius
Broz-Meyers-Pitlick
Knies-Nelson-Brodzinski

Sorenson-Perbix-Nevers or Huglen

Schmidt

Johnson-Faber

Staudacher-LaCombe

Brinkman-Koster

Fish

, Denman

LaFontaine
Boynton
Close
Last edited by Jaykay3 on Wed Apr 14 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Wed Apr 14 10:06 am

Bonin21 wrote:
March had:

Who cares if they are positive or negative. The point is, people cared enough to comment/interact. Many of those teams on the list had both positive and negative moments. I really don’t understand the relevance of your comment. At all.
Lifelong Gopher and MNHS Hockey Fan. Very Provincial. Epic Homer. No Apologies.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Apr 14 10:06 am

Don't forget Justen Close in goal...

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by YoungEagle » Wed Apr 14 10:33 am

Is the general consensus that Lucius, Pitlick, and Broz will be immediate contributors?
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Wed Apr 14 11:02 am

YoungEagle wrote:
Wed Apr 14 10:33 am
Is the general consensus that Lucius, Pitlick, and Broz will be immediate contributors?
Most likely, plus Knies.

Huglen could contribute but might get buried in the lineup due to our forward depth.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Wed Apr 14 11:07 am

Based on recent form I would not be surprised if Huglen transitions to the college game better than Pitlick.
Loserville, USA

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Wed Apr 14 11:19 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 14 11:07 am
Based on recent form I would not be surprised if Huglen transitions to the college game better than Pitlick.
It’s possible but just the way Pitlick plays the game makes him hard to leave out of the lineup. His sheer tenacity should create chances for him and his linemates. imo he’s just what this team needs: speed and grit all in one.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Wed Apr 14 5:54 pm

Trying to shake out the schedule a little more, thinking the trip to UND which should have been this year will be in the coming season. This would be the best time to make that trip as UND should be down relative to recent years and the Gophers should be competitive.

Below is a guess

12 home Big Ten
1 home UMD
1 home Mankato
2 Mariucci Classic? St Thomas in first game maybe?
2 home cupcake early season? Maybe that's St. Thomas? Or CC for the games we got out there.

12 away Big Ten
1 away UMD
1 away Mankato
2 away UND
Loserville, USA

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Thu Apr 15 7:49 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 14 5:54 pm
Trying to shake out the schedule a little more, thinking the trip to UND which should have been this year will be in the coming season. This would be the best time to make that trip as UND should be down relative to recent years and the Gophers should be competitive.

Below is a guess

12 home Big Ten
1 home UMD
1 home Mankato
2 home cupcake early season? Maybe that's St. Thomas? Or CC for the games we got out there.

12 away Big Ten
1 away UMD
1 away Mankato
2 away UND
I did see on Twitter the other night, not sure how credible the source is, from a St. Cloud guy saying gophers will be playing at the Concrete Center next year, first trip back for Bob right? That could be a fun one.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 15 8:59 am

It is odd that we have to fond out via rumors from fans of other teams where and whom the Gophers play in the next season.

Meanwhile football tends to post their non conference opponents years in advance. The NFL can't seem to hold themselves back from publicizing opponents for the next season, even before they have a schedule. I think they realize it helps create news and excitement and allows people to plan trips around the games.

But Gopher hockey makes you wait until just before the season starts....why?

Edit, here is the 2025 Gopher Football Schedule.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2025/team/minnesota

It's crazy we don't even know who the Gopher hockey team is playing in 2021-2022.
Last edited by Bertogliat on Thu Apr 15 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu Apr 15 9:02 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 15 8:59 am
It is odd that we have to fond out via rumors from fans of other teams where and whom the Gophers play in the next season.

Meanwhile football tends to post their non conference opponents years in advance. The NFL can't seem to hold themselves back from publicizing opponents for the next season, even before they have a schedule. I think they realize it helps create news and excitement and allows people to plan trips around the games.

But Gopher hockey makes you wait until just before the season starts....why?
I can see the exact dates/times needing to wait for the rest of the scheduling to be done, but you're right. Why don't we at least have a list of the non-conference opponents when that is known?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Apr 15 9:31 am

Laxref wrote:
Thu Apr 15 7:49 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 14 5:54 pm

Below is a guess

12 home Big Ten
1 home UMD
1 home Mankato

12 away Big Ten
1 away UMD
1 away Mankato
2 away UND
I did see on Twitter the other night, not sure how credible the source is, from a St. Cloud guy saying gophers will be playing at the Concrete Center next year, first trip back for Bob right? That could be a fun one.
So due to Covid and last years series cancelled the Whioux get the home ice again with Gophers, can’t we get something changed?

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Thu Apr 15 9:34 am

gopher6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 9:31 am
So due to Covid and last years series cancelled the Whioux get the home ice again with Gophers, can’t we get something changed?
What? The last series with them was at Mariucci. We should have no problem if the next one is adjusted to be home for them.
Loserville, USA

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Apr 15 9:36 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 9:34 am
gopher6 wrote:
What? The last series with them was at Mariucci. We should have no problem if the next one is adjusted to be home for them.
Sorry I forgot that 😔

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Apr 15 9:52 am

gopher6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 9:36 am
Bonin21 wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
Sorry I forgot that 😔
I would like to forget that series ever happened.

mnrouser
Rookie
Has liked: 46 times

Post by mnrouser » Thu Apr 15 10:08 am

Bonin21 wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
And that's the series where "Superfan Bonin21" blew off going to the 2nd game to support the team because there were too many UND fans in the building.🙄

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Thu Apr 15 10:13 am

Wow talk about living rent free in the memory
Loserville, USA

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Apr 15 11:08 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 9:52 am
gopher6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 9:36 am
Bonin21 wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
Sorry I forgot that 😔
I would like to forget that series ever happened.
Agreed... I was at the Thrashing on Thanksgiving......That game sucked. The next night was at least somewhat competitive....but it couldn’t have been worse. Very much looking forward to some revenge served cold at the 🤮
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Apr 15 3:04 pm

Ranta on the USCHO 2nd team, Laffer on the 3rd team. The Kato goalie on the 1st team, so that should stop some of the tears coming from 169 south for a few hours. The teams are not based east-west, just all of college hockey.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 154 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Apr 15 8:35 pm

So the best goalie in college hockey is 3rd fiddle? What did I miss?
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Thu Apr 15 8:39 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 8:35 pm
Because it's hard to rank goalies across different conferences.
Loserville, USA

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Apr 15 11:50 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 8:39 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 8:35 pm
Because it's hard to rank goalies across different conferences.
Clearly not for the Mike Richter Award Committee...
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 17 8:16 am

Per Schlossman in GFH-- Gophers at the :puke: Nov 26-27
The Gopher series will be played Thanksgiving weekend

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Sat Apr 17 8:40 am

At least not on Thanksgiving day...

Booked a room for the hell hole with no trees. The hotel I stayed at in EGF for the U18 was was overpriced relative to the competition, unfortunately.
Loserville, USA

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 17 12:27 pm

We’d rather suffer through all three of our family thanksgivings than go to Grand Forks. Which is a bummer because in the past, thanksgiving weekend hockey trips have been a great excuse to avoid them. :lol:

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Sat Apr 17 12:56 pm

Is this the first confirmed series for next season?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 17 1:27 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 17 12:27 pm
We’d rather suffer through all three of our family thanksgivings than go to Grand Forks. Which is a bummer because in the past, thanksgiving weekend hockey trips have been a great excuse to avoid them. :lol:
I think the BC/Northeastern weekend was the best way to avoid those dinners.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 17 2:12 pm

Laxref wrote:
Sat Apr 17 12:56 pm
Is this the first confirmed series for next season?
The first official series with dates set. I think there are opponents we know the Gophers will be playing, but no dates. The schedule may become a little clearer as the NCHC is expected to announce their schedule next week and I think the Gophers will be playing a team or two in the NCHC. Unfortunately, we usually have to piece the schedule together by seeing other teams schedules instead of the Gophers/B1G releasing it at the same time other teams do.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Apr 18 8:10 am

C’mon guys, Grand Forks isn’t all that bad. Sure if you end up there in January with -50 wind chills it sucks, but there are good bars, food and charitable gambling. We spend a lot of time there for my kid’s hockey stuff, just need to know where to go and what to do.
Doug Woog - 1990

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by D2D » Sun Apr 18 11:10 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Apr 18 8:10 am
C’mon guys, Grand Forks isn’t all that bad. Sure if you end up there in January with -50 wind chills it sucks, but there are good bars, food and charitable gambling. We spend a lot of time there for my kid’s hockey stuff, just need to know where to go and what to do.
Speaking of "my kid's stuff" I got caught in a bad blizzard there once, so bad that they shut down 94 and we had to wait it out for a half day until it was re-opened. Not one of my favorite memories from our youth hockey days...
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Apr 18 11:28 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
It’s the fans I can’t stand. It’s been discussed many times - too many terrible experiences to ever want to be subjected to that again. Which is unfortunate as it’s a close road trip to travel to and support the team. They’ll just have to win without me. ;)

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Apr 18 1:29 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 18 11:28 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
It’s the fans I can’t stand. It’s been discussed many times - too many terrible experiences to ever want to be subjected to that again. Which is unfortunate as it’s a close road trip to travel to and support the team. They’ll just have to win without me. ;)
Couldn't agree more. There's good natured ribbing and then there's the philistines on the prairie who throw batteries at opposing fans, or toss their beer, or hurl their uncultured curses over the ears of impressionable children. Some family night out.

Most fans are just fine, but a few bad apples do indeed spoil the barrel. It's a frightening example of how churlish, intolerant and demeaning our society has become. Who wants to be part of that?

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Apr 18 2:07 pm

I feel like ND fans have always been like that.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sun Apr 18 3:39 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Apr 18 1:29 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 18 11:28 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. There's good natured ribbing and then there's the philistines on the prairie who throw batteries at opposing fans, or toss their beer, or hurl their uncultured curses over the ears of impressionable children. Some family night out.

Most fans are just fine, but a few bad apples do indeed spoil the barrel. It's a frightening example of how churlish, intolerant and demeaning our society has become. Who wants to be part of that?
Unfortunately, for UND, I'd argue that it isn't a "Few bad apples". Yes, every fanbase has a few bad apples, but UND has a LOT of bad apples.

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Eckes » Mon Apr 19 8:48 am

For anyone planning on making the trip up to GF, I have a coupon for $25 off your room at the Ramada in Grand Forks that I have no intention of using anytime soon. Let me know if you'd like it.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Apr 19 9:20 am

Any coupons for the Olive Garden?😁

mnrouser
Rookie

Post by mnrouser » Mon Apr 19 10:12 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
I agree. As for things to do, Grand Forks is no different do than any other road trip town (Mankato, St.Cloud, Duluth, Ann Arbor, State College, etc.). The fans are entirely a different story. My wife and I have not missed a Minnesota - UND series in Grand Forks for nearly 30 years and are planning on going this year but people are right UND just seems to have more idiot fans than other fanbases.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 10:14 am

mnrouser wrote:
Mon Apr 19 10:12 am
I agree. As for things to do, Grand Forks is no different do than any other road trip town (Mankato, St.Cloud, Duluth, Ann Arbor, State College, etc.). The fans are entirely a different story.
Duluth does not belong in this group. Especially when the series is during peak fall colors, which it often is. The North Shore is the crown jewel of our state.
Loserville, USA

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Mon Apr 19 11:02 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 19 10:14 am
mnrouser wrote:
I agree. As for things to do, Grand Forks is no different do than any other road trip town (Mankato, St.Cloud, Duluth, Ann Arbor, State College, etc.). The fans are entirely a different story.
Duluth does not belong in this group. Especially when the series is during peak fall colors, which it often is. The North Shore is the crown jewel of our state.
Disagree

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 11:23 am

Laxref wrote:
Mon Apr 19 11:02 am
Disagree
Guessing you're not an outdoor/hiking person.
Loserville, USA

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 19 11:35 am

Laxref wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
Disagree
Which part specifically do you disagree with, that the North Shore is the crown jewel or that Duluth is no different than Mankato, St. Cloud etc.?

Personally, I think Minnesota has many other areas that rival the North Shore, not least the BWCA and the entire northern Arrowhead region of the state. There is also a case to be made for the lakes and for the stretch from Lake Pepin on down - and into the coulee country to the west. It's beautiful and probably underappreciated. All in all, though, if a friend from Alabama called me and said he has four days to enjoy Minnesota while he's here, I can't disagree that sending him north to Duluth and then up the North Shore is a pretty solid call.

IMO Duluth is a great weekend destination and a thousand times the visitor experience over St. Cloud or Mankato.

upnorthkid
Veteran
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by upnorthkid » Mon Apr 19 11:42 am

Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
agree it definitely doesn't belong in this portion. and agree that if you're looking for a place to experience "Minnesota", the North Shorte is definitely up there along with the Boundary Waters, Itasca, and LOW (for the fishing inclined) on places to go to experience the outdoors here. Would absolutely not put it in a list with Mankato or STC

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Apr 19 11:49 am

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Apr 19 11:35 am
Laxref wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
Disagree
Which part specifically do you disagree with, that the North Shore is the crown jewel or that Duluth is no different than Mankato, St. Cloud etc.?

Personally, I think Minnesota has many other areas that rival the North Shore, not least the BWCA and the entire northern Arrowhead region of the state. There is also a case to be made for the lakes and for the stretch from Lake Pepin on down - and into the coulee country to the west. It's beautiful and probably underappreciated. All in all, though, if a friend from Alabama called me and said he has four days to enjoy Minnesota while he's here, I can't disagree that sending him north to Duluth and then up the North Shore is a pretty solid call.

IMO Duluth is a great weekend destination and a thousand times the visitor experience over St. Cloud or Mankato.
True dat. Having just recently visited Duluth for the first time in the 16 years I've lived in Minnesota I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there even though the weather was crappy and not much of a hint of spring other than the boats were moving in and out of the port. Living in Mankato we struggle what to do with family when they come to town, there is nothing much here to do.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

mnrouser
Rookie

Post by mnrouser » Mon Apr 19 12:43 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
I was referring to things to do in these towns not the scenery. Of course Duluth is more picturesque than Grand Forks, St.Cloud, Mankato but these towns have pretty much the same attractions (bars, restaurants, malls, etc..) A certain town might have something another town doesn't have but overall there the same. IMO.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 12:49 pm

mnrouser wrote:
Mon Apr 19 12:43 pm
I was referring to things to do in these towns not the scenery. Of course Duluth is more picturesque than Grand Forks, St.Cloud, Mankato but these towns have pretty much the same attractions (bars, restaurants, malls, etc..) A certain town might have something another town doesn't have but overall there the same. IMO.
Duluth has better restaurants and breweries
Loserville, USA

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Mon Apr 19 12:50 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Laxref wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
Disagree

Duluth is fine, the range not so much, in my opinion. I
misread Bonin’s original post, north shore is fine, it’s hanging out in Tower that doesn’t exactly get me excited.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 12:52 pm

Laxref wrote:
Mon Apr 19 12:50 pm
Duluth is fine, the range not so much, in my opinion.
Well ya, no one going up to Duluth for the weekend is going out of their way to visit the range...
Loserville, USA

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 19 1:02 pm

Laxref wrote:
Mon Apr 19 12:50 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Laxref wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
mnrouser wrote:
Disagree

Duluth is fine, the range not so much, in my opinion. I
misread Bonin’s original post, north shore is fine, it’s hanging out in Tower that doesn’t exactly get me excited.
Hey, wait a sec. Tower sits on the shore of one of the best fishing and scenery lakes in Minnesota. Now, if you don't mind shredded carrots in your iceberg salad, Tower is a nice destination. (It's actually all about Vermilion; if you can't get on the lake, Tower is pretty much a spot on the map.)

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Mon Apr 19 1:20 pm

Lots of pretty scenery around the Iron Range.

And you won't see 1,000 foot long freight ships coming through St Cloud.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Mon Apr 19 1:20 pm

Lots of pretty scenery around the Iron Range.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 1:23 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Apr 19 1:20 pm
Just 1994 Silverados jacked up with ten ridiculous political flags in the back
Loserville, USA

mnrouser
Rookie

Post by mnrouser » Mon Apr 19 3:07 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 19 12:49 pm
mnrouser wrote:
Thank you for acknowledging that these other towns have restaurants and breweries.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 19 3:56 pm

mnrouser wrote:
Mon Apr 19 3:07 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 19 12:49 pm
mnrouser wrote:
Thank you for acknowledging that these other towns have restaurants and breweries.
Pretty much everyone on here will agree the Duluth road trip is the best one by a mile from your list.
Loserville, USA