Loveland Regional... Sat/Sun

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 516 times

Loveland Regional... Sat/Sun

Post by Jupiter » Sun Mar 21 7:33 pm

Saturday:
Minnesota vs Omaha (9pm ESPNU)
Minnesota State vs Quinnipiac (4pm ESPN3)

Sunday: 7pm ESPN2

Discuss...

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Loveland Regional...

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 21 7:38 pm

Sweep the Land Cows and book your tickets to Pittsburgh
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

upnorthkid
Veteran
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Loveland Regional... Sat/Sun

Post by upnorthkid » Sun Mar 21 7:48 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Sun Mar 21 7:33 pm
Saturday:
Minnesota vs Omaha (8pm ESPNU)
Minnesota State vs Quinnipiac (3pm ESPN3)

Discuss...
Gophs beat Mavs by 1 to head back to the FF. Can't take any periods off in these ones. Think the boys will come out geared up vs Omaha and not look back that game. Would expect if they play the Mavs it's going to be low scoring and grind it out.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Sun Mar 21 8:31 pm

Coach Motzko and Sammy Walker speak to the media after finding out their NCAA matchup.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Sun Mar 21 8:31 pm

Honestly last year's Mariucci classic was a tougher bracket. Gophers will take one game at a time and move on to the frozen four.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Sun Mar 21 9:03 pm

I think Minnesota could be in trouble if they advance and play Mankato. Mankato has had their number lately. MN struggles against defensive teams and really good goalies.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sun Mar 21 9:22 pm

Mankato isn’t the 200’ defensive team they were last year. One defense pairing can’t help themselves to skating below the dots and get caught out of position quite a bit. NMU showed that pushing the pace will take MSU out of their game. The one thing that I will give to MSU is they are more physical than the Gophers. I give the edge to us in that match up, especially sans fans. My 2 cents.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Mar 21 9:25 pm

Omaha is a pretty physical team too are they not?
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Sun Mar 21 9:27 pm

NCHC is a physical league so ya
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

SufferingSotaFan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by SufferingSotaFan » Sun Mar 21 9:50 pm

The Wisconsin win has got me fairly optimistic for the weekend. When was the last year the Gophers had this high of expectations heading into the Tournament?

2014: Our last good Tourney run, but this one came as a surprise to most I believe given how young our team was.

2015: We won the Big Ten Season & Tourney, But that year the Big Ten was fairly weak, Gophers were only Big Ten team to make it.

2017: I think we were the #4 seed but I don't recall feeling very confident. That team was fairly inconsistent if I recall.
You had me at .06 :M:

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 21 9:52 pm

The Union year. I was pumped. And then multiple cuss words spewed out of my mouth. Some of them were made up. I was not a happy camper.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

OkComputer
Rookie
Has liked: 3 times

Post by OkComputer » Sun Mar 21 9:58 pm

I don’t think the run in 2014 was a big surprise. That team was stacked and was top 1 or 2 much of the year, and had the scoring margin to back it up.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Mar 21 10:11 pm

OkComputer wrote:
Sun Mar 21 9:58 pm
I don’t think the run in 2014 was a big surprise. That team was stacked and was top 1 or 2 much of the year, and had the scoring margin to back it up.
Agreed. Going in to the conference tournament weekend, the Gophers were already a lock for the number one overall seed.

Maybe expectations weren't very high coming in to the season with as relatively young as they were, but they'd hung WCHA Conference Champion banners the last two seasons, and had just won the first Big Ten regular season.
Last edited by Steve MN on Sun Mar 21 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

SufferingSotaFan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by SufferingSotaFan » Sun Mar 21 10:11 pm

Your right, they were ranked very high in 2014, first year in the Big Ten just made that year feel different. I do remember being really pumped after the 4-0 win over St Cloud, and the hype for the North Dakota Semifinal was legit fun.
You had me at .06 :M:

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 455 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 21 10:37 pm

fyi here's Omaha's schedule and results. Pretty impressive to go 14-9-1 in what is obviously an extremely tough conference. And that includes six games against UND.

https://omavs.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/schedule
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 404 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 21 10:43 pm

I'm sick of hearing about the NaCHO conference...
Currently under construction.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 21 11:01 pm

I'm not saying the Gophers shouldn't take Omaha seriously, but weren't they one of the last teams in? And people want to rip UND fans for complaining yet UW got an easier regional and the Gophers have it too hard? Can't have it both ways.

Nothing is easy nor should be taken for granted - including whatever supposed breaks our rivals got. Play hard and play up to your potential and see what happens.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 21 11:05 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Mar 21 11:01 pm
I'm not saying the Gophers shouldn't take Omaha seriously, but weren't they one of the last teams in? And people want to rip UND fans for complaining yet UW got an easier regional and the Gophers have it too hard? Can't have it both ways.

Nothing is easy nor should be taken for granted - including whatever supposed breaks our rivals got. Play hard and play up to your potential and see what happens.
Just win, baby.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Sun Mar 21 11:10 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

If the Gophers don't beat the fourth (or fifth) best team in the NCHC you won't hear the end of it.

What are the UND fans complaining about? I'm guessing complaining like us that uw got the easiest route of the one seeds and they are the 4th place. I think both fanbases have a right to bitch about this a little but in the end you just have to win. Only thing that matters is the banner.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 21 11:13 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 21 11:17 pm

It's hard to snuff out any playoff caliber team or any team whose season is on the line. Look no further than the OT win against State. One lucky bounce the other way and Minnesota loses that game.

The gophers team that plays unrelenting defense has to show up. That team is a tough out.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Mar 21 11:32 pm

I’m hoping for a repeat of 2019. AIC 16 seed beat #1 seed St Cloud St.
I can’t see that happening but I would consider buying an AIC jersey if it did.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Mar 21 11:35 pm

There is so much parity in hockey these days, it’s a crap shoot. Looking at the brackets, I would rather have the Gophers path to the final than UND. I wouldn’t want to play WI/Michigan or even UMD if I were them. I like our unknown with the Boston teams once we get out of the regional, but again, I think all teams have proven that anyone can win/lose on any given night. The Cophers do have an impressive record though, especially in a smaller conference with 4 teams in the dance.

Are the wins guaranteed? No. Do I like our chances? Yes.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Mar 21 11:37 pm

Also, speaking of their record, remember that 10 game stretch when they went 5-5 and people were on the ledge?
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 21 11:39 pm

ex_goldy wrote:
Sun Mar 21 11:32 pm
I’m hoping for a repeat of 2019. AIC 16 seed beat #1 seed St Cloud St.
I can’t see that happening but I would consider buying an AIC jersey if it did.
I had one of those a couple years before that upset over SCSU. Witnesses to prove it. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Armadillo » Mon Mar 22 12:16 am

I'll be vaccinated before the Frozen Four happens. Do I dare hell run to Pittsburgh if they make it?
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 12:37 am

Armadillo wrote:
Mon Mar 22 12:16 am
I'll be vaccinated before the Frozen Four happens. Do I dare hell run to Pittsburgh if they make it?
I won't be vaccinated by then and I'd try to go if they make it. You never know when the next opportunity will be.
Loserville, USA

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 1:08 am

BADgers also get more rest, while UND and the Gophers get the short end of the stick because ESPN needs them.

The uw fans also benefit with first dibs at FF tickets, which could leave Gopher fans with no options if they make it as the last team after UND and uw.
Last edited by Buzzkill Bonin on Mon Mar 22 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loserville, USA

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 1:19 am

Two names with tight Gopher ties on Omaha.
Nate Knoepke - SR - Assistant captain - 2 games with Gophers in 17-18 after committing in 10th grade
Kaden Bohlsen - FR - Likely will not play - Previously committed to the Gophers in 9th grade

Seven other Minnesotans on the team, but only five really play including Knoepke.
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 449 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 22 6:09 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Mar 22 1:08 am
BADgers also get more rest, while UND and the Gophers get the short end of the stick because ESPN needs them.

The uw fans also benefit with first dibs at FF tickets, which could leave Gopher fans with no options if they make it as the last team after UND and uw.
Do you stay up late at night just to find any possible negative angles on this? Don't worry, be happy.

The UND game isn't on TV, it is streamed on ESPN3. Not sure how that benefits ESPN, although it does hurt Whioux.

As far as the FF tickets. My guess they will be all sold out before they will be available to the general public. Last info I saw was they were going to allow only 3k fans in the building. Take away tickets for each team/school, it doesn't leave much extra for any team to have a real advantage. Plus, the FF season ticket priority list starts this week and most tiers will be done by the time the tourney starts. My tier is Thursday. Even though I'm not going, my guess is that many of the long time holders will go since things are starting to open up more. Also, my bet is that a higher than normal % of FF STH are Whioux fans, with MN fans up there so I expect the very small crowd to be a snapshot of the normal fan bases. The only advantage the BADger and Whioux fans will have is earlier dibs on the after market tickets, and any smart ticket seller will wait until the weekend is done to open up all possible options. Also, don't assume the those 2 teams are a lock to get there, or any team for that matter.
Last edited by frozen4champs on Mon Mar 22 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 22 7:40 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 22 6:09 am
Bonin21 wrote:

Do you stay up late at night just to find any possible negative angles on this? Don't worry, be happy.

The UND game isn't on TV, it is streamed on ESPN3. Not sure how that benefits ESPN, although it does hurt Whioux.

As far as the FF tickets. My guess they will be all sold out before they will be available to the general public. Last info I saw was they were going to allow only 3k fans in the building. Take away tickets for each team/school, it doesn't leave much extra for any team to have a real advantage. Plus, the FF season ticket priority list starts this week and most tiers will be done by the time the tourney starts. My tier is Thursday. Even though I'm not going, my guess is that many of the long time holders will since things are starting to open up more. Also, my bet is that a higher than normal % of FF STH are Whioux fans, with MN fans up there so I expect the very small crowd to be a snapshot of the normal fan bases. The only advantage the BADger and Whioux fans will have is earlier dibs on the after market tickets, and any smart ticket seller will wait until the weekend is done to open up all possible options. Also, don't assume the those 2 teams are a lock to get there, or any team for that matter.
The complaint about having less rest was brought up by Whioux fans (along with lack of TV). That said, the lack of first dibs on FF tickets is absolutely Bonin21’s MO. :lol:

If you’re (Bonin) worried about ticket availability, just buy one at risk and sell if on stub hub if you won’t use it. Don’t wait to see if your team makes it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 22 8:31 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 21 11:10 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

If the Gophers don't beat the fourth (or fifth) best team in the NCHC you won't hear the end of it.
Do you think the players give a rip? And the complaint was about the matchup on the ice not that your social media buddies might hurt your feelings.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Mar 22 9:04 am

Jupiter wrote:
Saturday:

Discuss...
ESPNU eh?
Guess I'll have to brush up on a free trial from somewhere to get it or pay up on my cable package again.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 22 9:11 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Mar 22 9:04 am
Jupiter wrote:
Saturday:

Discuss...
ESPNU eh?
Guess I'll have to brush up on a free trial from somewhere to get it or pay up on my cable package again.
I added a sport package just for the last few weeks. I'll cancel it next Monday.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Mar 22 9:25 am

Armadillo wrote:
Mon Mar 22 12:16 am
We are!! In or out, we’re going if I snag tickets on Wednesday. I’m hoping, with fingers double crossed, the Gophers will be there, but we go every year so we’ll attend either way. We’ll be vaccinated and I’ve already booked a very nice hotel at a very NICE price! Let’s just say hotels are desperate for business.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 91 times

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 9:27 am

Bob's record at JBSU in the NCAA's was not good and a lot of people brought that up after we hired him. Was it on him, or the crapshoot nature of the tourney? Hopefully he has better results here.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 9:33 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 22 8:31 am
Bonin21 wrote:

Do you think the players give a rip? And the complaint was about the matchup on the ice not that your social media buddies might hurt your feelings.
When did I say anything about the players? You said you're sick of hearing about the NCHC and I said the Gophers better win then.
Loserville, USA

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 9:49 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 22 6:09 am
As far as the FF tickets. My guess they will be all sold out before they will be available to the general public. Last info I saw was they were going to allow only 3k fans in the building. Take away tickets for each team/school, it doesn't leave much extra for any team to have a real advantage. Plus, the FF season ticket priority list starts this week and most tiers will be done by the time the tourney starts. My tier is Thursday. Even though I'm not going, my guess is that many of the long time holders will go since things are starting to open up more. Also, my bet is that a higher than normal % of FF STH are Whioux fans, with MN fans up there so I expect the very small crowd to be a snapshot of the normal fan bases. The only advantage the BADger and Whioux fans will have is earlier dibs on the after market tickets, and any smart ticket seller will wait until the weekend is done to open up all possible options. Also, don't assume the those 2 teams are a lock to get there, or any team for that matter.
I will certainly try for tickets at my slot (Thursday), but I agree they will probably be gone by then.

I disagree about the after market sellers waiting though. There is a stress when selling tickets to a niche event like the FF where you want to make sure you capitalize on the (whioux) rush asap. If UND loses, I think the after market might be "reasonable" by the time we get a chance. Right now I'm expecting 1000 a ticket, though, aftermarket.
Loserville, USA

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 22 9:51 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Mar 22 9:33 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:

When did I say anything about the players? You said you're sick of hearing about the NCHC and I said the Gophers better win then.
That was a tongue-in-cheek spoof on Miracle and your comment that caught my attention above was completely unrelated to that:

Anyway...

circlemewoogguy
Rookie

Post by circlemewoogguy » Mon Mar 22 10:46 am

Looking at the email the NCAA just sent...they have the Gophers playing at 3 PM central? Assuming this is wrong?
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 22 10:50 am

I will see if I can find out.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Mar 22 10:57 am

Youtube TV's schedule lists U of M vs Omaha at 8PM
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 10:57 am

It should be universal that the top seed gets the early game and the extra rest.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Viking » Mon Mar 22 11:01 am

The schedule on ESPN.com has the Gophers are 8PM on ESPNU.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 22 11:02 am

This is typical NCAA buffoonery. Create confusion when all they have to do is double check before they send stuff out.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 11:03 am

USCHO says 8pm on ESPNU

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Mar 22 11:10 am

As does the NCAA's own website with their bracket.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/icehockey-men/d1/2021

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

circlemewoogguy
Rookie

Post by circlemewoogguy » Mon Mar 22 11:33 am

They now have both games at 8 PM, think they'll have four nets or two goalies per net?
Attachments
Untitled-11.jpg

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 22 11:39 am

They are likely just in the process of updating it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Mar 22 11:40 am

I'd recommend waiting a day or so while they get stuff figured out.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 11:42 am

It will be mini mite style going side to side.
Loserville, USA

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Mar 22 11:45 am

None of the brackets are easy. There's always at least two good teams in each region, and as history has shown, 3 and 4 seeds are a real threat each year. The idea of a "tune up" game isn't even too much of a reality these days. Minnesota fans know this only too well.

It's good to get that #1 seed to avoid going somewhere really tough, like Fargo, but past that, there's no easy road to the FF.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 11:48 am

But there are easier roads. Everything is relative.

I think the Gophers can beat Omaha. Really interested to see how Kato and Qpac show up.
Loserville, USA

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Mar 22 11:53 am

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Mar 22 11:45 am
None of the brackets are easy. There's always at least two good teams in each region, and as history has shown, 3 and 4 seeds are a real threat each year. The idea of a "tune up" game isn't even too much of a reality these days. Minnesota fans know this only too well.

It's good to get that #1 seed to avoid going somewhere really tough, like Fargo, but past that, there's no easy road to the FF.
Win or go home pretty simple!

Lee Hazlewood
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Lee Hazlewood » Mon Mar 22 12:19 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Mar 22 9:04 am
Jupiter wrote:
Saturday:

Discuss...
ESPNU eh?
Ditto. I don't think that I have ESPN2, or even ESPN for that matter. :ahhh: I sense panic and frustration come the week end.
Hey Garland, I dig your tweed coat.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 22 12:46 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

How do you know the players don’t care? I imagine they care a good deal about the conference’s image. Tony Granato himself has said the conference needs to start repairing a reputation for being weak.
Lifelong Gopher and MNHS Hockey Fan. Very Provincial. Epic Homer. No Apologies.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 22 12:47 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

I think you’re overestimating the demand Badger fans will have for traveling to watch hockey. I seriously doubt there will be a rush from Bucky fans to buy tickets.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 12:50 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
Mon Mar 22 12:47 pm
Bonin21 wrote:

I think you’re overestimating the demand Badger fans will have for traveling to watch hockey. I seriously doubt there will be a rush from Bucky fans to buy tickets.
The problem is UND. I mentioned that in another post.
Loserville, USA

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 22 12:50 pm

My take - The Gophers don’t have the easiest road to the final, and I don’t mind. You’ve got to beat great teams to win it all regardless. We had a tough road to have to go thru Michigan and Wisconsin to win the Big Ten tourney. We built some good momentum as that tourney went on, which we wouldn’t have done if we’d just blanked MSU to start the tournament. Take it one game at a time and build momentum going into the FF.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 12:55 pm

Going through UM and uw back to back is actually harder than Omaha and Kato/Qpac. So yes, we know they can do it.
Loserville, USA

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Mar 22 1:04 pm

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
Mon Mar 22 12:50 pm
My take - The Gophers don’t have the easiest road to the final, and I don’t mind. You’ve got to beat great teams to win it all regardless. We had a tough road to have to go thru Michigan and Wisconsin to win the Big Ten tourney. We built some good momentum as that tourney went on, which we wouldn’t have done if we’d just blanked MSU to start the tournament. Take it one game at a time and build momentum going into the FF.
I would agree about the MSU game. I was grousing at the time that MN just didn't seem to have the resolve to put away a lesser team, but MSU almost beat WI the week before, so they were definitely on the rise.

The emotion from that win carried over to the game against MI and that, in turn, pushed them to a great performance against WI.

Riff Raff
Golden
Golden

Post by Riff Raff » Mon Mar 22 1:08 pm

Might be a long shot, but anyone know of any Gopher/hockey bars in Key West and/or Ft. Myers area?

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 1:18 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Mar 22 1:08 pm
Might be a long shot, but anyone know of any Gopher/hockey bars in Key West and/or Ft. Myers area?
Margaritaville :lol:

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 22 2:21 pm

Even less rest now...

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 22 2:39 pm

Kato game is now starting an hour later as well.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 46 times

Post by thinkbui » Mon Mar 22 2:43 pm

Well we've had to go through wonky schedules throughout this season including last week, so we are more than capable than overcoming a rest disadvantage.

If all things were equal, then I'd prefer the early game, but since that one isn't on traditional TV, it's probably better that we have the late game.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 2:44 pm

No, I would prefer the early game and watch the stream...
Loserville, USA

FargoGopher7
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by FargoGopher7 » Mon Mar 22 3:48 pm

Dumb question but how many tickets are available for the games?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 22 3:50 pm

None.

FargoGopher7
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by FargoGopher7 » Mon Mar 22 3:55 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 22 3:50 pm
None.
So no fans at all

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 3:58 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Mon Mar 22 2:43 pm
Well we've had to go through wonky schedules throughout this season including last week, so we are more than capable than overcoming a rest disadvantage.

If all things were equal, then I'd prefer the early game, but since that one isn't on traditional TV, it's probably better that we have the late game.
Why don't they put us in the first game and televise that one?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 22 4:04 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 22 3:58 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Mon Mar 22 2:43 pm

Why don't they put us in the first game and televise that one?
They have the NE regional game on at that time on ESPN News and the Midwest regional on ESPNU. ESPN2 has women's hoops that night. They also have the corn hole championships on ESPN News at 8pm. Too much stuff even for ESPN family of networks to carry.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Mar 22 4:05 pm

Like 7 people watch these games. If ESPN cared about the viewers they can probably get more with drone racing.
Loserville, USA

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 22 6:41 pm

Bumped for the Cornhole Championship! :oops:

Magic
Rookie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Magic » Mon Mar 22 9:40 pm

Omaha plays whack hockey. They shoot and crash the net. Our Defense is very skilled, but not very physical (except Staudacher). Omaha scores most of their goals "whacking" in close rebounds, so we need LaFontaine to limit rebounds. If the Gophers can handle Omaha's physicality their speed advantage should give them some quality scoring chances (assuming they shoot the puck and not try and score pretty goals)