Loveland Regional... Sat/Sun

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: Loveland Regional... Sat/Sun

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Mar 28 9:32 pm

And here come the ledge jumpers
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

ILLINI_GUY
Golden
Golden

Post by ILLINI_GUY » Sun Mar 28 9:36 pm

Good season boys.
'kato had the better goaltending tonight and executed their game plan.
Tough to beat no matter who's the opponent
Can't wait for next season, hopefully be able to watch a few in person.

GopherK2
Rookie

Post by GopherK2 » Sun Mar 28 9:36 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:32 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:30 pm
Looked to me like a typical Bob Motzko coached team NCAA Tourney performance.
He's wearing fancier clothes now, though.
Don’t forget the golden mask.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 28 9:36 pm

I'll be pissed for a few days, but honestly I'm not surprised. Wisconsin, BC and North Dakota all suffered the same fate. No Dak was a bigger loss. They had like 7 or 8 seniors.

Mankato is older, grittier and more disciplined than the Gophers. They also had no problem shutting down the Gophers' team speed and fancy puck handling. This tournament rewards teams that can do that. That's why SCSU, Duluth and Mankato are still playing.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Kelor » Sun Mar 28 9:37 pm

Well, it was a horrible way to finish what was a fantastic season. I look forward to next year.

GopherK2
Rookie

Post by GopherK2 » Sun Mar 28 9:37 pm

ILLINI_GUY wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:36 pm
Good season boys.
'kato had the better goaltending tonight and executed their game plan.
Tough to beat no matter who's the opponent
Can't wait for next season, hopefully be able to watch a few in person.
Well said - lots to be optimistic about. Looking forward to getting back to Maroosh in person, too.

bart859
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bart859 » Sun Mar 28 9:38 pm

No ledge jumping. The Gophers played the last 10 minutes like UMD and Mankato play all the time.

RuesterGAGT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RuesterGAGT » Sun Mar 28 9:40 pm

This season got some juice flowing back in this old body for Gopher puck - COVID be damned.

Look forward to next year.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 404 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 28 9:41 pm

GopherJack wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:26 pm
Blue Blood = best basketball teams
Helmet school = best football teams
What the hell are we? I expect us to be the Blue Blood or Helmet School of NCAA hockey, but we just aren't and haven't been for many years. Sigh.....
New coach and new roster. This year they got back to the NCAAs and won their first game. Next season they return quite a bit of talent and have one hell of a class coming in as well.

Tonight was disappointing but I'm proud of how this team played this season on the whole. Won a conference tournament for the first time since..., got back into the NCAA tournament for the first time in 4 years and won a game for the first time since 2014. And all that matters to many of you is tonight?

Onto next year I can't wait.
Currently under construction.

Barlowmaker
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Barlowmaker » Sun Mar 28 9:41 pm

The esteemed University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Gophers have been the third or fourth best college team in Minnesota for years now. And, yes, the Big 10 hockey conference was a joke this year.

Another team to add to the Mark Coyle junk pile. Along with the football squad (no bowl), the basketball squad (no tourney bid), the wrestling squad (barely top 15 in the country) and every other program administered within that dismal building.

Minnesota is Loserville. Period. The Wolves stink, the Vikes stink, the Twins have lost 16 or so straight post season games. The Wild will eventually choke. Luckily, we'll have riots and looting to look forward to.

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!

upnorthkid
Veteran
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by upnorthkid » Sun Mar 28 9:42 pm

any year you hang a banner and win an NCAA game is a good year. not great, but good. keep building.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Mar 28 9:42 pm

There's a lot to be excited about for next year. Work to do, but no reason to think we will regress. Would like to see us be a more physical presence, and maybe that will come as these guys get older and hit the weights more.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

dm20_letsgo_gophs

Post by dm20_letsgo_gophs » Sun Mar 28 9:42 pm

Bummer. Didn’t see us going out like this.
We’ve struggled against that kind of D structure all season.
Feels like we struggle to manufacture offense when we can’t play a wide open style.
Seems like some grim hockey will win it this year, but no knock, it’s effective.
Not blaming tBob, but it seemed like we weren’t ready to play this kind of game. Team was very nervous, D blowing tires, not making many stretch passes, really just no flow all game.

JoeGopher
Rookie
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by JoeGopher » Sun Mar 28 9:43 pm

I'm not sure Mankato had the better goaltending tonight. I mean he obviously didn't let in a goal, but the Mankato defense won that game. There really weren't many quality shots by the Gophers. No pressure, no flow. Mankato played a complete defensive posture and it worked against a team that couldn't figure out how to break it.

Overall, a good season, and barring a slew of player losses, this will be a good team next year. Plus, I will get to see them play in person for the first time in over 18 months. Reason enough to hold on to some hope.

Now I root for anyone but UMD. Like to see a first time team raise a banner. Well, maybe I'll just root for Mankato, since those SCSU bastards would be insufferable if they actually won a title...

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Mar 28 9:44 pm

Barlowmaker wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:41 pm
The esteemed University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Gophers have been the third or fourth best college team in Minnesota for years now. And, yes, the Big 10 hockey conference was a joke this year.

Another team to add to the Mark Coyle junk pile. Along with the football squad (no bowl), the basketball squad (no tourney bid), the wrestling squad (barely top 15 in the country) and every other program administered within that dismal building.

Minnesota is Loserville. Period. The Wolves stink, the Vikes stink, the Twins have lost 16 or so straight post season games. The Wild will eventually choke. Luckily, we'll have riots and looting to look forward to.

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!
Hit the sack kiddo, clearly being up past your bedtime is making you crabby. Change your poopy diaper too

bart859
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bart859 » Sun Mar 28 9:44 pm

The concern should how they came out. Not moving there feet, no urgency and just getting absolutely outworked. You come out and bust your butt and play well and lose, there is no issue with that. You lose sometimes and not everything goes your way. The way they approached that game is concerning and shouldn´t just be ignored.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 449 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 28 9:45 pm

I love Frank, but he is a disaster on the post game shows.

Barlowmaker

Post by Barlowmaker » Sun Mar 28 9:46 pm

Keep tilting at those windmills. Goofballs.
Last edited by Barlowmaker on Sun Mar 28 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Mar 28 9:47 pm

Always a fun time when the trolls come back as the season ends. They are more regular than the swallows at San Capistrano.

The bigger problem is all our star players disappeared tonight. I'm sure MSU deserves a good amount of credit for some of it, but when Reedy, McLaughlin, and Faber were all -3 and Walker and Johnson were -2. Sampo, Sammy and Blake all just had 2 SOG each. Big players come out in big games, and ours turtled.

Not great.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Mar 28 9:47 pm

I’ll admit I am bitter. Sh!t way to end the season. No scoring chances. Motzko continues Lucia’s legacy of ineptness against trap teams.

Not one moment of excitement or hope in that game.

Not jumping off the cliff, but highly disappointed.

Barlowmaker

Post by Barlowmaker » Sun Mar 28 9:47 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:44 pm
Barlowmaker wrote:

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!
Hit the sack kiddo, clearly being up past your bedtime is making you crabby. Change your poopy diaper too
Keep losing and liking it, tough guy.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 420 times
Been liked: 573 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 28 9:48 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Barlowmaker wrote:

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!

This is why new enrollment is usually turned off. @Jupiter should just nuke him. One Bonin is enough.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Mar 28 9:50 pm

Don’t feed the troll.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Mar 28 9:50 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:48 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Barlowmaker wrote:

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!

This is why new enrollment is usually turned off. @Jupiter should just nuke him. One Bonin is enough.
This clown is clearly not a Gopher fan.
Lifelong Gopher and MNHS Hockey Fan. Very Provincial. Epic Homer. No Apologies.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Jupiter » Sun Mar 28 9:51 pm

:banned:

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 28 9:52 pm

MSU-M played excellent. They made no mistakes at all. That being said, MN played like crap. They didn't know how to take back the game. I am disappointed, sure, but I'm more mad that it wasn't A-Game Versus A-Game.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Mar 28 9:55 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:45 pm
I love Frank, but he is a disaster on the post game shows.
I think he’s trying to do too much. Trying to be producer and commenter at the same time. Doesn’t help with the zoom interviews not working.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sun Mar 28 9:56 pm

It hurts, but I have nothing but optimism for this team going forward in the years to come.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 28 9:59 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:52 pm
MSU-M played excellent. They made no mistakes at all. That being said, MN played like crap. They didn't know how to take back the game. I am disappointed, sure, but I'm more mad that it wasn't A-Game Versus A-Game.
That's what bothered me. It felt like our C or C- minus game..skewing to the lower. Mankato deserves some credit for that but when you dig yourself a 2 goal deficit against a trapping team then you just play right into it.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sun Mar 28 9:59 pm

Barlowmaker wrote:

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!
Take the negativity and social commentary somewhere else bud. Tonight was disappointing but this team and the conference they play in were actually really strong this year and both are only going to get better. As far as your comments on the current state of the city of Minneapolis this is definitely not the time or place. Take a hike and take your trolling with you.

Bale
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bale » Sun Mar 28 10:00 pm

I have to say, I enjoyed that.

And, yes, that's all I will say tonight and I won't troll you all.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Mar 28 10:01 pm

Am I disappointed? Absolutely. That was a sad way to end a very good year. Plus I now have to hide all our kitchen knives before my husband commits seppuku, and honestly that’s inconvenient for my cooking.
On the plus side...THREE MN teams are in! I’m bitter we’re not one of them, but proud of THE State of Hockey.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

USHANABI
Veteran

Post by USHANABI » Sun Mar 28 10:18 pm

Barlowmaker wrote:

Rah, rah, rah Minnesota!
You're not supposed to bring "sports" into comments on this board!

Look, Bemidji State beat Wisconsin

UMD vs Michigan was "No Contest" as was Boston College vs UNoDam

Somehow, the Gophers did overpower UNO, but then you're going up against the MSU Mavericks . . . which turned out to be a mirror image of Bemidji State going up against UMass..

It was really neat to see the five Minnesota teams in the tournament and three Minnesota teams in the Frozen Four though

If UMD beats UMass again, then it's either SCSU or the MSU Mavericks that UMD will play for their fourth championship. Should be a great final no matter which way it goes.

Everyone have a great and safe balance of Spring and then Summer before some more hockey action in the Fall and Winter seasons!!

And, Go Gophers in 2022!
Last edited by USHANABI on Mon Mar 29 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . . .
Gopher Men's Hockey games Countdown page (with 24-year profile and NCAA Rankings links)
Pyramid of Success .jpg - only change I'd make is on Lesson 5: "It takes 10 hands to score a goal"
More from "Coach" Wooden on "Success" in a 17 minute TED talk

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Mar 28 10:21 pm

The Rube wrote:
100%. If they came out of the gates playing well like they did against Omaha and Mankato just beats them, it's frustrating but that's hockey.
They came out skating like they just finished running a marathon. No speed, no grind, looking like they were out for a pregame skate. As soon as Mankato got their second goal it was basically just Mankato stacking the blueline and forcing the Gophers outside. If the Gophers play their best game they beat anybody in the country. This time of year you can't afford to have one bad period and they did.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Mar 28 10:23 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:21 pm
The Rube wrote:
100%. If they came out of the gates playing well like they did against Omaha and Mankato just beats them, it's frustrating but that's hockey.
They came out skating like they just finished running a marathon. No speed, no grind, looking like they were out for a pregame skate. As soon as Mankato got their second goal it was basically just Mankato stacking the blueline and forcing the Gophers outside. If the Gophers play their best game they beat anybody in the country. This time of year you can't afford to have one bad period and they did.
Not to throw out excuses, but how much of that is playing a game until 1030 last night and probably not getting to sleep until 1 at the earliest?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 28 10:24 pm

Looked to me like we could play Kato 10 times and the result would be the same. We seem to have no clue how to break through that wall. I think we had 1 quality shot all game.

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sun Mar 28 10:35 pm

Some, not all, on here seem to be forgetting that this is the first tournament appearance for the Gophers in 4 years and the first time they made it past the 1st round in 7. This game was incredibly frustrating. I will not blame anyone for being pissed off about this game tonight. But it's crazy to see how many trolls and naysayers come out of the woodwork when we're in this situation. Motzko is a good coach, I think the B1G and the team are both moving in the right direction. We should have most of the team returning next year and a solid class coming in. After the dust settles let's look forward to next year, with hopefully full arenas, and just appreciate that we had a 100th season of gopher hockey at all. Six months ago we weren't sure we were going to have a season. It was a fun year with an entertaining team. Go Gophers and I'll see you all in October

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 28 10:36 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:23 pm
Beauner wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Not to throw out excuses, but how much of that is playing a game until 1030 last night and probably not getting to sleep until 1 at the earliest?
No excuse.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 420 times
Been liked: 573 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 28 10:38 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Judging by the big ten tourney, likely not much. These guys are young, elite athletes. A couple less hours of rest was NOT the difference in this game.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Mar 28 10:46 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:38 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Judging by the big ten tourney, likely not much. These guys are young, elite athletes. A couple less hours of rest was NOT the difference in this game.
That’s very true.

One thing I found weird was Bob saying last night he wanted to be the aggressive team and take it to Omaha. Then tonight he said they knew they just had to withstand the first 10 minutes because they would come out strong. Not sure that was the game plan from the get go or an adjustment after they came out flat.

MissotaGopher14
Rookie

Post by MissotaGopher14 » Sun Mar 28 10:51 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Mar 28 9:24 pm
That is EXACTLY the team I was thinking of with Klatt and Olimb. They took on Jeff Jackson's Canadian mercenaries and they mopped up the ice with the Gophers.
Unfortunately the rosters full of 25 year old Canadians seem to be the winning formula in a lot of these NCAA tourneys. It would be nice if we had some more players with a physical presence instead of recruiting half the Edina roster with no grit every year. At least go after some more McLaughlin’s/Rau’s that are semi skilled but aren’t afraid to mix it up.
"When Ferris State won in Mariucci arena, was the arena the loudest it's ever been? Was there a mass order of Ferris State jerseys? Do we get regular updates of how Ferris State players are doing in the AHL? All I'm saying is that the Hitler Youth fanbase took it to an extreme." - TheColonel

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Mar 28 11:02 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
The Rube wrote:
I have a hard time buying the late night rationale. These guys are 19-23 year olds. I doubt they're in bed by 11 every night of the week. They're great athletes and even if they didn't get to bed until 1-130CT they probably got to sleep until 9-930am.
Was the late start last night dumb and should the #1 seed always have the early game? IMHO, yes. But I have a hard time pinning the first period and a half on the idea that the guys just were thrown off by a later than usual bedtime.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 28 11:15 pm

MissotaGopher14 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:51 pm
streakygopher wrote:
That is EXACTLY the team I was thinking of with Klatt and Olimb. They took on Jeff Jackson's Canadian mercenaries and they mopped up the ice with the Gophers.
Unfortunately the rosters full of 25 year old Canadians seem to be the winning formula in a lot of these NCAA tourneys. It would be nice if we had some more players with a physical presence instead of recruiting half the Edina roster with no grit every year. At least go after some more McLaughlin’s/Rau’s that are semi skilled but aren’t afraid to mix it up.
Over the years I've come to realize that while a national title is hard to achieve, the price to get there means watching the kind of hockey I would rather avoid. A roster full of mid twenty somethings is a semi pro league, not a college. BC, BU, MI, MN and WI this year at least all paid for loading their teams with super talented kids who wilted against grinding journeyman type players.

For a lot of these teams sophomore players are 23 and seniors, 25. The gophers were young anyway with, what, 5 of six of their defenseman who came in as true freshmen? But I was hoping they would have the success that sandelins back door team did a few years ago. Nope. They went Motzko on the bit. :)

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 29 4:37 am

I don't think the Gophers wilted in the least - UNO plays a similarly physical game yet the Gophers were all over them the entire 60 minutes. And the Gophers while younger are not smaller on average than Mankato. For whatever reason they were flat and that happens unfortunately sometimes in big games.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Mar 29 7:43 am

If Ranta is the only early departure & especially if the entire young D core returns...a team with some post season experience (now) & success in a conference tournament....will be primed for a deep post season run in 21-22. The Gophers reestablished some of their swagger this season & tBob has them moving in the right direction.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 29 7:57 am

While I didn't watch second of the game I can see how it played out in my head by what everyone has described here. When this regional was announced I had the discussion with my co-workers about how it could play out. Mankato had to play great and the U had to play great to make it out of the regional. The U played this weekend like they have since the beginning of this year, up and down. Some games or stretches within a game they play unbeatable, then they can lay an egg like no other.

Mankato played their worst game of the year over a week ago versus Northern Michigan, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility to do that again. They aren't as offensively talented as last years team but they play more physical than last years team which can make for an advantage this time of the year. Put that with one of the best goalies in the country and they are dangerous.

It sounds like Mankato played their game and the U was off of theirs. tBob needs to get his team to flatten the hills and valleys of his team's season to get to the next level. He made the tournament and won a game, but lost the regional. Next year make the next step. Hell, it took Hastings nine seasons to win A game in the NCAA's and Mankato has been an above average team for most of that time. The U has been average during that same time with tDon and tBob at the helm. We're trending in the right direction...I'll take my lumps here in Mankato over what is yet to come in the near future.
Last edited by g-manpuck on Mon Mar 29 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

maddie
Rookie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maddie » Mon Mar 29 8:16 am

I was at the NCAA Regional game 2 years ago when MSU collapsed against Providence. That was a pretty good team. I'm sure players still on the roster - and there are plenty - carried that loss like an anchor.

That Q-Pac comeback lifted the weight.....that was evident last night. They would've beaten anyone standing in their way..... Extra juice provided because it was the Gophers.

We'll see if they can carry that emotional / physical response on to the next game.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 8:34 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Mar 29 7:43 am
If Ranta is the only early departure & especially if the entire young D core returns...a team with some post season experience (now) & success in a conference tournament....will be primed for a deep post season run in 21-22. The Gophers reestablished some of their swagger this season & tBob has them moving in the right direction.
Completely agree.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 29 8:54 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
Mon Mar 29 8:34 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Mar 29 7:43 am
Completely agree.
Agreed. After missing the tourney and not even winning when we got there, this is a step in the right direction. For those who think the conference is weak, I disagree.

Also, Mankato was a game or two away from being a #1 seed and some argued they could be one still over Wisconsin, so not a bad loss. An inexperienced, young team lost to an older Mankato team. It was an ugly and off game, but hoping to come back next year stronger and reload.

Thunderlips

Post by Thunderlips » Mon Mar 29 9:02 am

MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
This narrative/crutch drives me insane.

Average Age for Kato - 22y 8m
Average. Age for MN - 21y 2m

Just stop

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/alman ... ageavg.php

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 29 9:09 am

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Mar 28 11:15 pm
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
Over the years I've come to realize that while a national title is hard to achieve, the price to get there means watching the kind of hockey I would rather avoid. A roster full of mid twenty somethings is a semi pro league, not a college. BC, BU, MI, MN and WI this year at least all paid for loading their teams with super talented kids who wilted against grinding journeyman type players.

For a lot of these teams sophomore players are 23 and seniors, 25. The gophers were young anyway with, what, 5 of six of their defenseman who came in as true freshmen? But I was hoping they would have the success that sandelins back door team did a few years ago. Nope. They went Motzko on the bit. :)
I'm not disagreeing with you on this, but UMD usually has a similar age team as the Gophers, and they've had plenty of success.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 29 9:15 am

Thunderlips wrote:
Mon Mar 29 9:02 am
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

My boss and I were just discussing this very thing. It sounded like that the announcers couldn't get off that hill.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Thunderlips

Post by Thunderlips » Mon Mar 29 9:23 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Mar 29 9:15 am
Thunderlips wrote:
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

My boss and I were just discussing this very thing. It sounded like that the announcers couldn't get off that hill.
Also- Kato has 23 Americans on roster. 4 Canadians
Last edited by Thunderlips on Mon Mar 29 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wincav
Rookie
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by wincav » Mon Mar 29 9:23 am

Neither Minnesota, Boston College, North Dakota or Wisconsin moved on to the frozen 4. It is a different college hockey world. The small schools found a way to compete ( older Canadiens, etc).
Perhaps the traditional “power house” schools need to figure a way to resolve that. “Mr. Hockey’s” are a nice addition to a team but we do need more grinders & 4 year commits.
It was a decent year and happy the Seniors got a banner to hang.

Bale
Veteran

Post by Bale » Mon Mar 29 9:28 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Thunderlips wrote:
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

Shane frederick mentioned on Twitter last night that it's such a silly argument when you have a team that, yes, is a bit older, but has only 1 low end draft pick. The other team has multiple draft.picks that could be playing against 30 year old professionals in a few weeks. It's looked at as a disadvantage now, but not a problem in a few weeks.

I know those kids won't be expected to score like they are in college, but its silly to.make that argument.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Mar 29 9:37 am

Bale wrote:
Mon Mar 29 9:28 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Thunderlips wrote:
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

Shane frederick mentioned on Twitter last night that it's such a silly argument when you have a team that, yes, is a bit older, but has only 1 low end draft pick. The other team has multiple draft.picks that could be playing against 30 year old professionals in a few weeks. It's looked at as a disadvantage now, but not a problem in a few weeks.

I know those kids won't be expected to score like they are in college, but its silly to.make that argument.
Congrats to the Mavs Bale! Happy for U & the other Mavs faithful! Having been in attendance last season at Amsoil when the Mavs took down tDogs, have much respect for your squad. And while I’d argue that both tDogs & Mavs had more talented teams last season, both have experienced, talented & gritty teams this year. Good luck against SCSU, it should be an epic battle, while tDogs will do their best to make it an all MN team NCAA title game for the 1st time!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 29 9:43 am

1.5 years in difference PER PLAYER at that level is a wide disparity. I'd like to see total NCAA games played between them as well.

Not making excuses - MSUM has their roster and played the better game. But to outright dismiss the gap is short-sighted.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 29 9:49 am

I tend to agree that age factor might not be as big as some make it out to be, it's kinda unclear at what point age is an advantage or disadvantage and it seems like the goal posts and narrative always shifts based on the end result. The gophers had plenty of older guys like Nelson and Meyers just... disappear and do nothing for 60 minutes. Outside of a few oddman rushes Walker and McLaughlin didn't get much going either, they aren't exactly young or inexperienced. The young blue line didn't exactly have their greatest game of the season but IDK if I'd allocate more blame to them than the forwards for the lack of possession overall. Also Koster seemed like one of the only noticeably good players last night creating time and space for himself.

Honestly I think they just didn't have a consistent answer for the trap and defensive oriented teams like MSU, Notre Dame, and this last game vs MSU-M. Going down a goal on a weak short sider and then getting frustrated certainly isn't the way though I'm not gonna blame Lafontaine for that result. And you also need to forecheck hard against a team that traps, seemed like Motzko for whatever reason wasn't really keen on bringing the pressure to them via a hard forecheck and kept the Gophers back in a trap for whatever reason.
Last edited by trixR4kids on Mon Mar 29 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 951 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 29 9:54 am

Congratulations to @Bale and the Mavs for finally getting over the hump! Your squad was fantastic last night and complete took MN out of its game. Good luck in Steel City!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 29 9:55 am

Bale wrote:

My boss made this same point, and maybe he borrowed it from Freddy...but it is a good point.

Hastings has made it his recipe for success for having his players play two years in the juniors before they walk on campus. That exposes them to a lot of other players in juniors that they may have not otherwise seen play. It was because they were there watching players they had commitments from they found other players paying their dues in the minors.

You can't fault any coach for having older players, but that is not the key to success. The mixture of youth, experience(older players), talent, grit, coaching, and just pure ass luck sometimes is what will win you games. Honestly, show me a Maverick fan that two weeks ago would have put even $1 on them making the FF. There wasn't one.

If the Mavs win it all.... :puke: it will be great for the program, the athletic department, and the town for that to happen. As a Gopher fan in this town...it will be miserable.

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Eckes » Mon Mar 29 10:04 am

Norm wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:24 pm
Looked to me like we could play Kato 10 times and the result would be the same. We seem to have no clue how to break through that wall. I think we had 1 quality shot all game.
I dunno... I feel like people are forgetting that it's hockey.

This same Mankato team lost 5-1 to a pretty mediocre Northern Michigan team in their conference semis, and were down 3-1 thru 2 to Qpac. Hockey gonna hockey sometimes. MSU played a great game last night, and the Gophers didn't. Most of the time this year the Gophers were able to win even not on top of their games, they weren't able to do it last night.

If sports were a perfect meritocracy all of the #1 seeds would have made it. None of them did. It happens to everyone! All you can ask for is a chip and a chair, and this Gopher team had a great chance to win it all this year, and should have a great chance to win next year too.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Bale
Veteran

Post by Bale » Mon Mar 29 10:14 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Mar 29 9:55 am
Bale wrote:

My boss made this same point, and maybe he borrowed it from Freddy...but it is a good point.

Hastings has made it his recipe for success for having his players play two years in the juniors before they walk on campus. That exposes them to a lot of other players in juniors that they may have not otherwise seen play. It was because they were there watching players they had commitments from they found other players paying their dues in the minors.

You can't fault any coach for having older players, but that is not the key to success. The mixture of youth, experience(older players), talent, grit, coaching, and just pure ass luck sometimes is what will win you games. Honestly, show me a Maverick fan that two weeks ago would have put even $1 on them making the FF. There wasn't one.

If the Mavs win it all.... :puke: it will be great for the program, the athletic department, and the town for that to happen. As a Gopher fan in this town...it will be miserable.
I'm with you on this team. It was downright ugly last weekend. My only thought is ot was good for them to get ko'd against nmu. It showed them they can't sleepwalking through a game.

This team is just strange. From a pure talent standpoint, they aren't as good as 2 or 3 of the teams from the past 7 years. Sometimes the best teams just don't win and that's all there is to it.

Speaking of insufferable....this state is going to be insufferable to anyone outside of it for the next 2 weeks with all the state of hockey stuff I've seen going around. I live here and am already sick of it.

Tornado17
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Tornado17 » Mon Mar 29 10:16 am

The same people want all these older guys will be the same people who complain they didn’t get the stud forward or D. If you look at the Gopher recruits, it seems there are more 19-20 year old Freshman. They laid an egg, and nobody knows what Motzko said to them between periods. Maybe he yelled and kicked a can. Who knows? They didn’t respond which is disappointing. At some point as a player, you have to look in the mirror and get it done. Many positives this year. Getting into the NCAAs and winning is a nice start.

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Mon Mar 29 10:29 am

Bale wrote:
Mon Mar 29 10:14 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Bale wrote:

I'm with you on this team. It was downright ugly last weekend. My only thought is ot was good for them to get ko'd against nmu. It showed them they can't sleepwalking through a game.

This team is just strange. From a pure talent standpoint, they aren't as good as 2 or 3 of the teams from the past 7 years. Sometimes the best teams just don't win and that's all there is to it.

Speaking of insufferable....this state is going to be insufferable to anyone outside of it for the next 2 weeks with all the state of hockey stuff I've seen going around. I live here and am already sick of it.
The whole State of Hockey thing must drive people from outside of Minnesota nuts. I'll be completely honest, there have been times when I have leaned into it but it can also come across a little gimmicky. We have great talent that comes out of Minnesota and think we really are the best state at developing youth talent. The way Minnesota does it is unique and really special. But I can only imagine being a non-Minnesotan and having to hear us bang on and on about it. It's like Texans and football. Texas football is really important to the fabric of the state and the talent they produce is top notch but sometimes when you hear some Texans talk about football you'd think no one outside of the Lone Star state had ever touched a pigskin.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 29 11:09 am

Eckes wrote:
Mon Mar 29 10:04 am
Norm wrote:
Sun Mar 28 10:24 pm
I dunno... I feel like people are forgetting that it's hockey.

This same Mankato team lost 5-1 to a pretty mediocre Northern Michigan team in their conference semis, and were down 3-1 thru 2 to Qpac. Hockey gonna hockey sometimes. MSU played a great game last night, and the Gophers didn't. Most of the time this year the Gophers were able to win even not on top of their games, they weren't able to do it last night.

If sports were a perfect meritocracy all of the #1 seeds would have made it. None of them did. It happens to everyone! All you can ask for is a chip and a chair, and this Gopher team had a great chance to win it all this year, and should have a great chance to win next year too.
Also worth noting how many times No Dak made it to both the tourney and FF during the past fifteen years or so, how few times they missed the tournament, and they have one NCAA banner to show for it.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Mar 29 11:43 am

I'm pulling for anyone but the Dogs. I was supportive of them in their previous runs, but now time for some other team to shine. I expect scsu and msu to have a hell of a game

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Mar 29 1:17 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 28 6:12 pm
north45 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 6:09 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 6:04 pm
north45 wrote:
Sun Mar 28 6:01 pm
The NCAA has to come up with better sites for the preliminary round. These 2 rinks out east are total pieces of sh__. The ice is slush. People are falling down, the puck is taking weird bounces. The nets won't stay in position in Albany.
They are in such out of the way places it's difficult for fans to attend games. ( When fans are allowed ) Hockey deserves a lot better than this from the NCAA.
For this to happen, the NCAA would have to give a crap about hockey. They do not so this stuff keeps happening. They’re all worried about lining their pockets with the bouncy ball tournament.
It's time for the Hockey schools to demand the NCAA make improvements.
Maybe places like Minnesota that have top notch facilities like the X should bid more often. :mis:
Financially Xcel doesn't really want to do regionals any more -- doesn't make sense for them.

Also... even staffing a regional is stressful on the UMN athletic department.

It'd be nice for some other midwest schools to try and find better sites or just go to home sites for the first round like I talk about every year. Then expand the Frozen Four to eight team bracket and play it out over a couple days. Two quarterfinals Monday, two quarterfinals Tuesday, rest day, two semifinals Thursday, rest day, then championship Saturday.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 66 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 29 1:32 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Mon Mar 29 1:17 pm
Financially Xcel doesn't really want to do regionals any more -- doesn't make sense for them.

Also... even staffing a regional is stressful on the UMN athletic department.

It'd be nice for some other midwest schools to try and find better sites or just go to home sites for the first round like I talk about every year. Then expand the Frozen Four to eight team bracket and play it out over a couple days. Two quarterfinals Monday, two quarterfinals Tuesday, rest day, two semifinals Thursday, rest day, then championship Saturday.
Whioux Falls has a nice facility, just isn't close to a major airport. Resch Center in Green Bay. Both are plenty big, nice enough, and host hockey regularly.

I mean they've used Fargo a few times and the capacity isn't that large there. I think Waterloo and Cedar Rapids are both similar size... No home ice advantage for anyone, and reasonably close. Atmosphere can get fun and loud in Waterloo.

Most of these kids are coming from the USHL anyway, why not get the locals interested in seeing the graduates of their programs again.

Out East could be Youngstown's Arena...

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 1:38 pm

Thunderlips wrote:
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

Basically two years. It matters. Especially on an experience level. Many on this MSU team had been in the tourney before, lost, and learned from it. We have mainly freshman and sophomores anchoring our D core. Faber is playing heavy minutes as an 18-year old.

The experience gap was a factor. Not why they lost, but it was a factor. And telling people to “stop” doesn’t strengthen your point.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 1:40 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 29 9:09 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sun Mar 28 11:15 pm
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you on this, but UMD usually has a similar age team as the Gophers, and they've had plenty of success.
They’ve had solid senior leadership. Not knocking the Gopher’s captains, but I don’t think we’ve consistently seen the level of on-ice leadership UMD seems to cultivate since Rau (maybe Kloos) left.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 1:51 pm

Bale wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:
Thunderlips wrote:
MissotaGopher14 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Just stop

The Gophers have no one on their roster that is going to step into a regular role on an NHL roster right now, so Shane’s point is a bit misguided IMO. Even Ranta might see games at the end of the season if he turns pro, but will likely be an AHL guy for at least a year or two. Not to mention players like Mittlestadt who was a first rounder and still hasn’t seen regular NHL time.

Experience matters.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 29 1:55 pm

Mittlestadt has seen regular NHL ice time, though prob should be in the AHL.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 1:56 pm

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Mon Mar 29 10:29 am
Bale wrote:
Mon Mar 29 10:14 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Bale wrote:

The whole State of Hockey thing must drive people from outside of Minnesota nuts. I'll be completely honest, there have been times when I have leaned into it but it can also come across a little gimmicky. We have great talent that comes out of Minnesota and think we really are the best state at developing youth talent. The way Minnesota does it is unique and really special. But I can only imagine being a non-Minnesotan and having to hear us bang on and on about it. It's like Texans and football. Texas football is really important to the fabric of the state and the talent they produce is top notch but sometimes when you hear some Texans talk about football you'd think no one outside of the Lone Star state had ever touched a pigskin.
How people out of state view our pride in our hockey traditions doesn’t bother me. It’s all good natured, or should be, and there is a lot of reason to be proud of what our state built IMO. Not saying we should shove it in other’s faces, but having 3 MN programs in the FF is a pretty cool thing (though not unprecedented).

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 1:56 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 29 1:55 pm
Mittlestadt has seen regular NHL ice time, though prob should be in the AHL.
Indeed. Should have phrased that better. Lazy phone typing. He left too early.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Mon Mar 29 2:00 pm

Tornado17 wrote:
Mon Mar 29 10:16 am
The same people want all these older guys will be the same people who complain they didn’t get the stud forward or D. If you look at the Gopher recruits, it seems there are more 19-20 year old Freshman. They laid an egg, and nobody knows what Motzko said to them between periods. Maybe he yelled and kicked a can. Who knows? They didn’t respond which is disappointing. At some point as a player, you have to look in the mirror and get it done. Many positives this year. Getting into the NCAAs and winning is a nice start.
I don’t think anyone has made the point to recruit older players. The point was that this Gopher roster has no one on it that had skated in an NCAA tourney before and a very young D core that will be back next year. This year’s tournament experience and another year of development is going to set this team up to be much better prepared next season.