#1 Gophers vs Notre Dame (Jan. 15 & 16)

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: #1 Gophers vs Notre Dame (Jan. 15 & 16)

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jan 16 8:16 am

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Fri Jan 15 11:03 pm
I was wondering if this might happen. This is not to sound doom and gloom. This team is really good and I think we'll be just fine. But I did wonder if after a stellar first 8 games in 2020 the rest of the conference might start to catch on, at least a little bit, to what the gophers are doing and even slowly catch up. This is a good conference and there was no way we were going to go undefeated (not that anyone thought we would). This game was a tough one but unlike gopher teams of the past few years I have full confidence in the team's ability to bounce back and get a win tomorrow. We were bound to drop a couple of games and there are probably going to be a couple more down the road. Better to get humbled a little bit and drop a couple now than have it happen in March or April.
I have seen this same thing in other sports that started during the pandemic. Teams that did not have a lot of turnover from the previous year would get off to a good start. With no warm up games or a set time table for when games would start, it was our advantage since we only had a few new players. Other teams would take a while to catch up. Bob talked about how the first half was an extension of the second half last year. Well now we need to raise it another level for the second half this year.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 16 10:21 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jan 16 5:37 am
When playing Notre Dame you have to be patient. They will lull you to sleep with their zone entry defense. They don't make a ton of mistakes, and wait for the opportunity to score. If a couple of plays were different last night, the Gophers could have won. The late icing call and not winning the face-off cost them 1 goal. On the PP goal, they almost cleared the puck and it stayed on the blue line by a hair. Those 2 sequences and it could have been a different game. That being said, they still lost and did not look sharp. I trust they will play better tonight.
They had no intelligence in their game last night. They were foiled at the ND blue line and did little to change up their game. Into the third period guys were still skating in alone 1-3, turning over the puck rush after rush. They lost a ton of faceoffs, but worse they didn't cover opponents. These are mental lapses.

While the team has depth, they're short on star power. Their three new defensemen are good, but they're young. They got pushed around last night. The team is 1-2 since they returned.

As a "#1" they will face teams who are using them as a measuring stick. When you play an opponent who's less talented, their best chance of winning is to bust up your game and work harder. Give credit to coach Jackson last night. His guys got the message and executed.

I suspect Motzko is fuming because his players stubbornly and selfishly weren't open to coaching last night.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Jan 16 10:59 am

Jackson has always been one of the best coaches in the country and his teams always have a system and a game plan that they work like a machine. They are tough to sweep and a split was prolly the most realistic outcome this weekend.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

maddie
Rookie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maddie » Sat Jan 16 12:37 pm

Notre Dame would prefer to play the entire game along the boards......nothing new, this is how they do things. Zone entries are always pushed outside by ND which allows the back checking forward to double-team the puck carrier. They'll see video from last night and that should change the zone entry tactics.

Gophs need to play patient - precise cross-ice dump & forecheck like crazy game to generate chances. It's not in their DNA but we aren't playing Michigan or PSU either. To score against ND requires a different 5 on 5 game. We don't have gamebreaking forwards but we have a few that create pressure in the offensive zone. We'll see if they can make it work.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jan 16 3:04 pm

No Reedy or Staudacher again. LaFontaine appears to be in net. So was tBob bluffing about Reedy's availability or maybe a setback? Any word on Staudacher?

magoose
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by magoose » Sat Jan 16 4:26 pm

Gopher hockey > watching Packers. Wish the hockey game would have started at 3:30. Let’s show the Irish why we are #1 today.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jan 16 4:33 pm

Slump buster jersey?

magoose
Golden
Golden

Post by magoose » Sat Jan 16 4:44 pm

Sometimes it is as easy as a jersey change to refocus. Superstition always weird in sports.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Vegoe » Sat Jan 16 4:49 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jan 16 4:33 pm
Slump buster jersey?
Bob did say yesterday that there are no slump busters in the B10.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Jan 16 4:54 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Sat Jan 16 4:49 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jan 16 4:33 pm
Slump buster jersey?
Bob did say yesterday that there are no slump busters in the B10.
He is obviously unfamiliar with the female fanbase of the BADgers. :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 46 times

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 5:08 pm

Bakich 1-0.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 5:36 pm

End of 1, Gophs trail 0-1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

maddie
Rookie

Post by maddie » Sat Jan 16 5:40 pm

looks like a replay of last night......ND's game is to work the Goph's to death in the O zone by creating neutral zone turnovers ......by far the better team through p1....

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 6:05 pm

Ellis 2-0, PPG.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sat Jan 16 6:07 pm

Probably won't be #1 in the country after this weekend

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 6:21 pm

End of 2, Gophs trail 0-2.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 16 6:26 pm

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Sat Jan 16 6:07 pm
They've done nothing to retain it.

ND limps in here with a sub 500 record, among the worst power play and PK numbers in college hockey, and a goalie with some pretty sad sack metrics. And nothing Minnesota does seems to matter. The Irish are scoring on the man advantage, they're killing off penalties, and their goal tender is looking like he can't be beat.

It doesn't help that Minnesota has whiffed on its chances, but the bottom line is the Gophers are just getting flat out beat by a better team - and they're being out coached.

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by gopheritall » Sat Jan 16 6:40 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 16 6:26 pm
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:

ND limps in here with a sub 500 record, among the worst power play and PK numbers in college hockey, and a goalie with some pretty sad sack metrics. And nothing Minnesota does seems to matter. The Irish are scoring on the man advantage, they're killing off penalties, and their goal tender is looking like he can't be beat.

It doesn't help that Minnesota has whiffed on its chances, but the bottom line is the Gophers are just getting flat out beat by a better team - and they're being out coached.
Not a lot of positives coming out of this weekend for Gophers.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Jan 16 6:43 pm

Ugly ugly ugly so far.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sat Jan 16 6:53 pm

gopheritall wrote:
Sat Jan 16 6:40 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 16 6:26 pm
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:

Not a lot of positives coming out of this weekend for Gophers.
Hardly any at all. This weekend has shown us that the Gophers are good, yes, but still have a long way to go. Notre Dame are alright but the weekend was there for the taking for the Gophers and instead it looks like we're about to get swept. The most frustrating part is much of this is us beating ourselves (taking nothing away from ND). We played into their hands last night and changed nothing for game 2. That's basically the definition of insanity. Anyway, go Wild

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 7:00 pm

Nelson 1-2, EAG.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 7:05 pm

Game over, ND wins 2-1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jan 16 7:05 pm

Glad to see they didn't quit, but when it looked like they were getting frustrated for stretches I saw far too many individual efforts in the 2nd and 3rd for my liking. Team is in a flux right now. Good news is there is plenty of season left and I am sure they will figure it out in the next few weeks.
Currently under construction.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jan 16 7:06 pm

Overrated.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

magoose
Golden
Golden

Post by magoose » Sat Jan 16 7:07 pm

Bring on Thursday.

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sat Jan 16 7:08 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jan 16 7:05 pm
Glad to see they didn't quit, but when it looked like they were getting frustrated for stretches I saw far too many individual efforts in the 2nd and 3rd for my liking. Team is in a flux right now. Good news is there is plenty of season left and I am sure they will figure it out in the next few weeks.
I hope you're right. Next few weeks will be crucial.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 905 times
Been liked: 580 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jan 16 7:09 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Jan 16 7:06 pm
Overrated.
Like clockwork. ;)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Jan 16 7:10 pm

Hopefully Reedy will be back soon. Gophers are not nearly as good without him.

maddie
Rookie

Post by maddie » Sat Jan 16 7:15 pm

With all those MN kids, ND always plays hard in Mariucci......this result is disappointing but not surprising. We are back to the old WCHA days where everyone wants to take down MN......especially rosters full of MN kids.

TBH, Gophs didn't play well v ASU, played okay at WI & couldn't respond v. ND. The road is getting tough for these guys.....self-doubt creeping in for sure....we'll see if they can pull it together.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 16 7:18 pm

A friend asked me a few weeks ago if he should be getting excited about this team. I told him that they're deep and talented but since they're not playing outside the league, it will be hard to know just how good they are. Well, they just split with Wisconsin and got swept at home against a pretty average - but well coached - Notre Dame team. They're 1-3 since their fantastic freshmen got back from World Juniors.

The second half of the season will be interesting. Some teams need to start a run to get into the playoff picture. Notre Dame did just did that. Minnesota, meanwhile, is regressing to the mean and going the wrong way. They have a good team, but as we've seen these past four games, goal tending won't always save them.

I was going over the roster in my head and decided there are just too many forwards who made almost zero contributions this weekend: 7, 9, 11, 13, 18, 21, 22*, 25*, 39.

* these two were especially terrible this weekend...Perbix is my new Jack Ramsey...Brodzinski can pass and shoot the puck, but he lacks speed and it hurts his game.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jan 16 7:26 pm

The opponents now know how to beat the Gophers after watching the last 2 series. Slow it down, clog the zone and pressure the Gophers and not allow them to wheel and deal. I thought Nelson played well all weekend, and that is the list. I think the depth is starting to show as Nevers should be on the 4th line at best. Time to regroup and come out firing on Thursday.
Also -- FIRE MOTZKO :wink:
Last edited by frozen4champs on Sat Jan 16 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Kelor » Sat Jan 16 7:27 pm

You might be right. The last couple of games before this weekend, it was apparent the Gophers have weaknesses. Let's hope they figure it out!!!

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by gopheritall » Sat Jan 16 8:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jan 16 7:05 pm
Yeah, both games turned into players trying to score 1 on 5. One guy trying to skate through the Irish with nobody else even coming in the zone at times.

I hope they can figure this out.

Composer
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Composer » Sat Jan 16 8:32 pm

The gophers had about 5 grade-A+ chances today and missed the net (mostly after they were down 2-0). I'm not too down on their response after being down.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Jan 16 8:52 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Moe on the second games of series. Better to have a fresh goalie each night.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran
Has liked: 195 times

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sat Jan 16 8:56 pm

Kelor wrote:
Sat Jan 16 7:27 pm
You might be right. The last couple of games before this weekend, it was apparent the Gophers have weaknesses. Let's hope they figure it out!!!
Better they get exposed and corrected now.
Lifelong Gopher and MNHS Hockey Fan. Very Provincial. Epic Homer. No Apologies.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jan 16 10:59 pm

One thing you can't say about ND is that there's any discomfort playing their game on an Olympic sheet. Granted Compton is 95' wide, but they adapted to the extra 5 feet well. We head down there in about a month, so we had better pick up where we left off tonight when we do.

It was a little too coincidental that the game ended with a replay of Becoming Wild with Nick Bjugstad. With Reedy out, we could have used someone like him.

Far from panic mode though. All 3 losses have basically been 1 goal games and there's plenty of time to fix things.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Jan 17 12:52 am

ND plays hard against the gophers. Compliment to Minnesota but not if they don’t step up. They were dominated and out hustled. Once they got down and the game wore on without scoring the more they got into panic mode. ND has had the gophers number lately. Might be a good wake up for their next meeting or post season.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Sun Jan 17 8:30 am

Against a team like ND you need to shoot the puck hard and often on Net from the outside. Even if players are in the way after they get hit by hard shots from the outside it takes alot out of them. It starts to open up the middle. Better than just trying to always pass and turn over pucks.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 547 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jan 17 3:08 pm

@Jupiter did I miss or are there any post game media for this weekend. (Or not when they lose) 😬

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Jupiter » Sun Jan 17 5:01 pm

There is... but I was busy this weekend and didn’t grab the videos from the U

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Jan 17 5:21 pm

This team is sorta the opposite of Motzko’s first gopher squad, instead of having high end forward talent that bails out the team with timely power play goals despite getting outplayed most the game, this squad is mostly powered by an above average blue line that makes for a solid squad at 5v5 but they lack elite shooting talent other than maybe Ranta (Meyers...?).

Also I’m glad our team doesn’t play like ND because holy f*** would that be boring to watch every night. Effective but a total slogfest.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Vegoe » Sun Jan 17 9:41 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Sun Jan 17 5:01 pm
Busy?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Jupiter » Sun Jan 17 10:39 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Sun Jan 17 9:41 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Sun Jan 17 5:01 pm
Busy?

:good2: :good2: :good2:

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Mon Jan 18 10:44 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Sun Jan 17 5:21 pm
This team is sorta the opposite of Motzko’s first gopher squad, instead of having high end forward talent that bails out the team with timely power play goals despite getting outplayed most the game, this squad is mostly powered by an above average blue line that makes for a solid squad at 5v5 but they lack elite shooting talent other than maybe Ranta (Meyers...?).

Also I’m glad our team doesn’t play like ND because holy f*** would that be boring to watch every night. Effective but a total slogfest.
I don’t see weakness up front- Reedy, Sammy, Sambo, even Brodz. I don’t think they will play 90-100% every game, dont think it’s possible. If they let up a few games in the middle of the season, we see some new names on the scoring sheet it’s fine with me. Eye on the prize, focus on then end of season big push.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jan 18 11:53 am

They were never destined to win all their games, but home sweeps against hurt. Fortunately, there were no fans in the stands to witness the blood letting. Maybe fan support would have made a difference - who knows.

On the team, I would say Brodzinski has a wicked good shot and a sneaky release, but I'd like to see him do more away from the puck. He didn't tie up a guy on a faceoff that resulted in a key goal this past weekend, and he's a little soft on the puck when fighting for possession. I think he could be a fine scorer and has the makings of a four-year player, but his skating will limit his ability to improve dramatically. Johnny Pohl used to say that if you're not an elite skater, you better do all the little things right.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Norm » Mon Jan 18 1:58 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Jan 18 11:53 am
They were never destined to win all their games, but home sweeps against hurt. Fortunately, there were no fans in the stands to witness the blood letting. Maybe fan support would have made a difference - who knows.

On the team, I would say Brodzinski has a wicked good shot and a sneaky release, but I'd like to see him do more away from the puck. He didn't tie up a guy on a faceoff that resulted in a key goal this past weekend, and he's a little soft on the puck when fighting for possession. I think he could be a fine scorer and has the makings of a four-year player, but his skating will limit his ability to improve dramatically. Johnny Pohl used to say that if you're not an elite skater, you better do all the little things right.
Speaking of Pohl, he dramatically improved his skating during his 4 years here.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jan 18 2:17 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Jan 18 1:58 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Mon Jan 18 11:53 am

Speaking of Pohl, he dramatically improved his skating during his 4 years here.
He did, but it was never his best skill.

As the inimitable Glen Sonmor once said [paraphrasing], "People say Johnny Pohl is slow, but I've never seen anybody yet catch him on a breakaway."

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Jan 18 3:16 pm

ex_goldy wrote:
Mon Jan 18 10:44 am
trixR4kids wrote:

I don’t see weakness up front- Reedy, Sammy, Sambo, even Brodz. I don’t think they will play 90-100% every game, dont think it’s possible. If they let up a few games in the middle of the season, we see some new names on the scoring sheet it’s fine with me. Eye on the prize, focus on then end of season big push.
I feel like some of the names you mention would be pushed down the lineup if we had someone of Haula, Pitlick, Kloos, or Bjugstad’s ability, just to name some recent examples. The players you mention are all good players for different reasons but I don’t think any have the game changing or playmaking ability of the names I mention, not to mention that killer one timer that makes the PP deadly. The team can certainly be successful with this lineup and have been to date but I guess I’m not shocked that we’ve had some recent games where we struggle to generate goals despite putting up a respectable number of shots. Also Laffer is a very good goalie but he’s not gonna put up unreal numbers for the entire season like he did for the first ten games.

Also I will say that if you give up an early lead to a team like ND it’s an entirely different game than if the roles are reversed.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jan 18 11:10 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Jan 18 3:16 pm
ex_goldy wrote:
Mon Jan 18 10:44 am
trixR4kids wrote:

I feel like some of the names you mention would be pushed down the lineup if we had someone of Haula, Pitlick, Kloos, or Bjugstad’s ability, just to name some recent examples. The players you mention are all good players for different reasons but I don’t think any have the game changing or playmaking ability of the names I mention, not to mention that killer one timer that makes the PP deadly. The team can certainly be successful with this lineup and have been to date but I guess I’m not shocked that we’ve had some recent games where we struggle to generate goals despite putting up a respectable number of shots. Also Laffer is a very good goalie but he’s not gonna put up unreal numbers for the entire season like he did for the first ten games.

Also I will say that if you give up an early lead to a team like ND it’s an entirely different game than if the roles are reversed.
Boy Trix, I agree with you. I do feel like we have a team of "blue collar" kids (which makes me laugh considering....) but you are right, there isn't a dynamic player, a Vanek, Haula, Bjugstad, etc. That being said, did we know what we had with them back when we had them? That's the tough part.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?