FS North Gophers hockey classic

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
User avatar
BIll
Rookie
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Sep 21 6:54 pm
Been liked: 6 times

FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by BIll » Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm

Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times
Age: 34

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Laxref » Mon Mar 30 6:42 pm

That’s amazing, hopefully they dig up some more gems

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 30 7:00 pm

Would love to see again--
1. Gophers vs BADgers when they clinched title on Schmidt's highlight reel goal.
2. Gophers vs Denver March 2003. Gophers were down 4-1 and won 8-5
3. Gophers vs Huntsville -- Banner night, Vanek, Waibel, Riddle hat tricks
4. Any Gopher vs Whioux victory
5. Rally bat game

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times
Age: 34

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Laxref » Mon Mar 30 7:40 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 30 7:00 pm
Would love to see again--
1. Gophers vs BADgers when they clinched title on Schmidt's highlight reel goal.
2. Gophers vs Denver March 2003. Gophers were down 4-1 and won 8-5
3. Gophers vs Huntsville -- Banner night, Vanek, Waibel, Riddle hat tricks
4. Any Gopher vs Whioux victory
5. Rally bat game
I want any Gophers/CC game from mid 90s. I doubt they can air the MSC stuff though.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 30 8:49 pm

BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
It’s at 7pm CST FYI. So nobody else has to search for it. ;)

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3334
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 30 10:15 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 30 8:49 pm
BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
It’s at 7pm CST FYI. So nobody else has to search for it. ;)
What's with these midweek games? The games should be on Friday and Saturday.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16396
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 31 12:08 am

The 2004 WCHA final. Although I can't watch anyway. :(
Currently under construction.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by gopher6 » Tue Mar 31 8:28 am

BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
What time?

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8978
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 47

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Steve MN » Tue Mar 31 8:46 am

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Mar 31 8:28 am
BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
What time?
Look up a few posts ;)

7:00 Central
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10288
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times
Age: 45

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Mar 31 9:14 am

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 30 10:15 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 30 8:49 pm
BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
It’s at 7pm CST FYI. So nobody else has to search for it. ;)
What's with these midweek games? The games should be on Friday and Saturday.
You forgot the :x

User avatar
Bert
Moderator
Posts: 8168
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:11 am
Location: COON RAPIDS
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 01 8:39 am

Even though it was a loss I would like to see the Final 5 game vs SCSU the 15 goal game It was just insane

User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20291
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 48 times
Age: 28

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Apr 01 8:44 am

That whole playoff series down in Mankato would be fun to watch again. I remember that one being just absolutely insane.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 33 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Apr 01 9:09 am

I'd love to watch Gophers/BADgers from the late 1980s. Would be absolute mayhem at the old Barn.

Who doesn't want to watch Rally Bat again, though, from the early 2000s?

User avatar
Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Aug 25 8:16 am
Location: Charlestown, PA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Reg Dunlop » Wed Apr 01 10:42 am

My vote would be for the BADger game with the Danny Irmen penalty shot. That was the loudest I have ever heard it heard it in Mariucci.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

ddillon22
Rookie
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Nov 07 10:34 pm
Location: Section 19
Been liked: 4 times
Age: 47

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by ddillon22 » Wed Apr 01 4:29 pm

The issue with the Wheeler game is that I think UND ended our season the next weekend where they never really let us touch the puck in OT. I always have that in the back of my mind when I see that goal.

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1073
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times
Age: 34

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Laxref » Wed Apr 01 4:38 pm

ddillon22 wrote:
Wed Apr 01 4:29 pm
The issue with the Wheeler game is that I think UND ended our season the next weekend where they never really let us touch the puck in OT. I always have that in the back of my mind when I see that goal.
Funny, cuz we did the same thing to them a few years later when they won what they refer to as the “timeout” game in the final five and then we waxed them in regionals in St Paul the next weekend.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16396
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Apr 01 5:46 pm

ddillon22 wrote:
Wed Apr 01 4:29 pm
The issue with the Wheeler game is that I think UND ended our season the next weekend where they never really let us touch the puck in OT. I always have that in the back of my mind when I see that goal.
Was that the, "turn, fire the puck on net and pray" goal? :chainsaw: :censored:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Apr 01 7:13 pm

Can't wait to relive the game that I was at live in person and hear Frank and Wooger.


alignrock
Veteran
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Sep 23 6:53 am
Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by alignrock » Thu Apr 02 9:25 am

ddillon22 wrote:
Wed Apr 01 4:29 pm
The issue with the Wheeler game is that I think UND ended our season the next weekend where they never really let us touch the puck in OT. I always have that in the back of my mind when I see that goal.
Mike Carman did hit iron in OT, though, didn't he?

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Thu Apr 02 10:28 am

Hopefully they do dig up other gems as others have said. Right now it looks like they're showing the game 6 times over the weekend, which is a little disappointing since that's not the only classic from the FSN era. I guess that, in addition to being starved of programming, they haven't been free of the juggling pretty much everyone else has had to do over the last few weeks and fewer of their employees than they'd like have been able to search their archives for things to broadcast in the meantime. Hopefully this pandemic burns itself out soon, but if not, I would hope they are able to dig up more games, especially if those games were also worked by Woog.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 02 11:18 am

I can’t start watching at 7 so no spoilers! ;)

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2603
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 02 11:35 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 02 11:18 am
I can’t start watching at 7 so no spoilers! ;)
We're the underdog, but I like our chances!

User avatar
QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 14 11:04 am
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 15 times
Age: 68

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Thu Apr 02 11:41 am

The Title on the program in the Guide is "Gopher Hockey Classics"

Maybe there will be MORE!!!

QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Thu Apr 02 3:25 pm

It will be good to see the WCHA Final Five at its apex again. I've been ruminating on a potential Big Ten Hockey retrospective I might put together when it turns 10 years old in a few years and while there's potential for nearly everything we lost from leaving the WCHA to be regained in the Big Ten if we're patient (i.e. teams will get better and new rivalries will form), one thing that there's no real equivalent for without significant cultural changes is the Final Five. The closest thing around is the NCHC's Frozen Faceoff, but even that is mere shadow with only some of the teams that made the older tournament great. Hopefully something comes along that we all fall in love with and feels at least close to an equitable trade, but in the meantime I'll settle for the nostalgia trip.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Apr 02 5:01 pm

Hoping this is a weekly thing

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6967
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times
Age: 41

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Apr 02 5:31 pm

Boy am I excited!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Goldy77
Veteran
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Feb 01 10:06 am
Location: New Prague, MN
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 22 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Goldy77 » Thu Apr 02 5:34 pm

QueenofGopherHockey wrote:
Thu Apr 02 11:41 am
The Title on the program in the Guide is "Gopher Hockey Classics"

Maybe there will be MORE!!!

QoGH
Ha, it also says Gophers beat UND.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Jupiter » Thu Apr 02 6:28 pm

What would be really cool is if this game was in HD... Sadly, it won't be.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Thu Apr 02 6:46 pm

When did FSN start broadcasting in HD? All I remember is that it was sometime after the 2007-08 season since only BTN was broadcasting our games in HD that year and since that wasn't a great season, it took forever to see a win in HD.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Jupiter » Thu Apr 02 6:54 pm

2010/11 season.

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Orion » Thu Apr 02 7:02 pm

Oh boy do I miss Frank and Doug

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2603
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 02 9:31 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Thu Apr 02 6:46 pm
When did FSN start broadcasting in HD? All I remember is that it was sometime after the 2007-08 season since only BTN was broadcasting our games in HD that year and since that wasn't a great season, it took forever to see a win in HD.
I vividly remember going up to a camera man, who was always stationed just above where I used to sit, close to where Doug & the very attractive young lady did the pre-game stuff, and asking him, "When do you think you'll start using HD cameras and broadcasting in HD?" This guy had been in the same spot, using the same camera, since they opened the new Mariucci.

I don't remember what year that was, but by then I was very much into high-def TV & video at home, and knew what a difference it made, if properly done. But the camera man gave a rather negative answer, something to the effect that going to HD was a long ways off, if it would ever become the new standard at all. I remember taking his brush-off with a grain of salt, fully knowing that it was just a matter of time.

User avatar
Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Aug 25 8:16 am
Location: Charlestown, PA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Reg Dunlop » Thu Apr 02 9:57 pm

Damn! That was fun reliving that!
What a game!
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

User avatar
QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 14 11:04 am
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 15 times
Age: 68

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Fri Apr 03 1:03 pm

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Thu Apr 02 9:57 pm
Damn! That was fun reliving that!
What a game!
I had fun watching and remembering the Gopher players from way back when. I knew it was the Final Five Championship and that we won the game, and that Wheeler scored in OT to win the game. But everything else was a surprise. Loved the commentary from Frank & Doug and enjoyed yelling at the Refs.

Oh the memories of the players! It was soooo exciting! I was there when it happened. :dance:

I hope they televise a few more oldies but goodies! :biggrin2:

Thanks for the memories!

QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

User avatar
BIll
Rookie
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Sep 21 6:54 pm
Been liked: 6 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by BIll » Fri Apr 03 8:28 pm

Laxref wrote:
Mon Mar 30 7:40 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 30 7:00 pm
Would love to see again--
1. Gophers vs BADgers when they clinched title on Schmidt's highlight reel goal.
2. Gophers vs Denver March 2003. Gophers were down 4-1 and won 8-5
3. Gophers vs Huntsville -- Banner night, Vanek, Waibel, Riddle hat tricks
4. Any Gopher vs Whioux victory
5. Rally bat game
I want any Gophers/CC game from mid 90s. I doubt they can air the MSC stuff though.
I thnink they can air games from MSC days. They are showing Wolves classic games from MSC right now. from 2000. Indiana/Minnesota.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 03 8:42 pm

BIll wrote:
Fri Apr 03 8:28 pm
Laxref wrote:
Mon Mar 30 7:40 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Mar 30 7:00 pm
Would love to see again--
1. Gophers vs BADgers when they clinched title on Schmidt's highlight reel goal.
2. Gophers vs Denver March 2003. Gophers were down 4-1 and won 8-5
3. Gophers vs Huntsville -- Banner night, Vanek, Waibel, Riddle hat tricks
4. Any Gopher vs Whioux victory
5. Rally bat game
I want any Gophers/CC game from mid 90s. I doubt they can air the MSC stuff though.
I thnink they can air games from MSC days. They are showing Wolves classic games from MSC right now. from 2000. Indiana/Minnesota.
I hope this continues. I'm sure it takes some time to edit the games and not sure what else goes into it. Also, not sure if FSN furloughed people that normally would do this stuff. I know Gophers PR guy Brian Deutsch tweeted about the cooperation between the U and FSN on making it happen. Would love to see a game a week until we get back to normal. I think it would make for a great column in the Strib or Athletic on the behind the scenes making of these replays.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14434
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 03 9:56 pm

11-12 sweep win over UND

I can't remember a game with that much energy since that and the Schmidt goal game that year.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19238
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Apr 03 10:37 pm

I would love to see some games from Old Mariucci.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 04 8:45 am

On the down side, my channel guide for my DiercTV goes out until April 16th, and they show Wild, TWolves, and Twins classics but the Gophers Classics game are a replay of the WCHA game. There is one on Monday the 13th at 1pm that says Gopher Hockey Classics with no game description. I hope it is a new one but am afraid it is still the WCHA game since I'm sure they would debut a new game in primetime.

User avatar
GoldenRube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jul 22 1:54 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by GoldenRube » Sat Apr 04 9:02 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Apr 04 8:45 am
On the down side, my channel guide for my DiercTV goes out until April 16th, and they show Wild, TWolves, and Twins classics but the Gophers Classics game are a replay of the WCHA game. There is one on Monday the 13th at 1pm that says Gopher Hockey Classics with no game description. I hope it is a new one but am afraid it is still the WCHA game since I'm sure they would debut a new game in primetime.
The Wolves have classics?
No matter how badass you are, if a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone you answer it.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 04 11:27 am

ESPN 2 now has college hockey listed on Thursday night with no description listed. It would have been the night of the semi finals. It shows four 2 hour blocks of games from 5pm-1am. One can only hope they show classic games and not just replays of their games from this year. But ESPN has a way of changing things on the fly, so we will see if this will actually happen.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Apr 04 1:12 pm

I’m glad we weren’t the only ones who watched :lol:
At one point I asked my hubby “ how pathetic are we that we're so excited to re-watch a 12 year old game?” But it was fun to see all the players and boy do we miss Woog. Plus it was fun to once again boooo ND players and coach. Added bonus, watching Hackstal say BS on tv. :biggrin2:
That was an excellent choice for FSN, a really good game, I do hope we get more.
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5706
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Apr 04 5:43 pm

BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
Watching the replay today, talk about 2 stacked teams, each has almost a handful of players who played a regular shift in the NHL, including big time stars like Toews, Oshie, Wheeler & Goligoski ☝️

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 04 5:52 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Apr 04 5:43 pm
BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
Watching the replay today, talk about 2 stacked teams, each has almost a handful of players who played a regular shift in the NHL, including big time stars like Toews, Oshie, Wheeler & Goligoski ☝️
I believe the stat was 17 NHLers in that game.

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3866
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 60

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Composer » Sat Apr 04 6:31 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 04 5:52 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Apr 04 5:43 pm
BIll wrote:
Mon Mar 30 6:23 pm
Thursday FS North is showing the Gophers win over North Dakota in the WCHA final five. the Blake Wheeler OT goal.
Watching the replay today, talk about 2 stacked teams, each has almost a handful of players who played a regular shift in the NHL, including big time stars like Toews, Oshie, Wheeler & Goligoski ☝️
And mid-30s played professionally.

I believe the stat was 17 NHLers in that game.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by gopher6 » Sat Apr 04 6:37 pm

It’s on right now

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16396
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm

Per a poster at USCHO:

ESPN has scheduled several rebroadcasts of NCAA games over the coming week. Here is the schedule as of now:
Sun 04/05 01:00 pm ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Mon 04/06 12:00 am ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Thu 04/09 06:00 pm ESPN2 2009 Championship BU vs Miami
Thu 04/09 08:00 pm ESPN2 2015 Championship BU vs PC
Thu 04/09 10:00 pm ESPN2 2011 Championship UMD vs Michigan
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Sun 04/12 08:00 am ESPNU NCAA Championship (no game information)
Sun 04/12 04:00 pm ESPNU 2009 East Regional Semifinal #2 UVM vs Yale
Sun 04/12 08:00 pm ESPNU 2005 Semifinal #1 CC vs DU
Currently under construction.

User avatar
MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Apr 10 9:14 pm
Location: Lakeville, MN
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MNNavy » Sun Apr 05 10:52 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Hmm... if I log into Hulu from my work computer, and stream that to my laptop monitor, while using the external monitor for work, I can multi-task, and still claim I'm working.
Of course, it might make it a little difficult to pay attention during my Zoom meetings.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 05 11:42 am

MNNavy wrote:
Sun Apr 05 10:52 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Hmm... if I log into Hulu from my work computer, and stream that to my laptop monitor, while using the external monitor for work, I can multi-task, and still claim I'm working.
Of course, it might make it a little difficult to pay attention during my Zoom meetings.
As Slapshot said, nothing is set in stone and it is a fluid situation. My DTV guide has First Take on during that time. Thursday night still lists College Hockey on ESPN2 at night, but again who knows.

upnorthkid
Rookie
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 19 6:45 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by upnorthkid » Mon Apr 06 8:46 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm
Per a poster at USCHO:

ESPN has scheduled several rebroadcasts of NCAA games over the coming week. Here is the schedule as of now:
Sun 04/05 01:00 pm ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Mon 04/06 12:00 am ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Thu 04/09 06:00 pm ESPN2 2009 Championship BU vs Miami
Thu 04/09 08:00 pm ESPN2 2015 Championship BU vs PC
Thu 04/09 10:00 pm ESPN2 2011 Championship UMD vs Michigan
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Sun 04/12 08:00 am ESPNU NCAA Championship (no game information)
Sun 04/12 04:00 pm ESPNU 2009 East Regional Semifinal #2 UVM vs Yale
Sun 04/12 08:00 pm ESPNU 2005 Semifinal #1 CC vs DU
I was too young to remember muchof that 2002 game. Will be great to watch it again now and see some glory. Really happy they're doing this. Would imagine the numbers will show ESPN people are dying for sports right now and the ratings will be better than the slop they've been showing

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 4895
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Apr 06 9:24 am


User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6967
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times
Age: 41

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 06 10:09 am

Nice! Glad they moved it to prime time! It will be fun watching this one with my kid too!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6967
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times
Age: 41

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 06 10:13 am

upnorthkid wrote:
Mon Apr 06 8:46 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm
Per a poster at USCHO:

ESPN has scheduled several rebroadcasts of NCAA games over the coming week. Here is the schedule as of now:
Sun 04/05 01:00 pm ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Mon 04/06 12:00 am ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Thu 04/09 06:00 pm ESPN2 2009 Championship BU vs Miami
Thu 04/09 08:00 pm ESPN2 2015 Championship BU vs PC
Thu 04/09 10:00 pm ESPN2 2011 Championship UMD vs Michigan
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Sun 04/12 08:00 am ESPNU NCAA Championship (no game information)
Sun 04/12 04:00 pm ESPNU 2009 East Regional Semifinal #2 UVM vs Yale
Sun 04/12 08:00 pm ESPNU 2005 Semifinal #1 CC vs DU
I was too young to remember muchof that 2002 game. Will be great to watch it again now and see some glory. Really happy they're doing this. Would imagine the numbers will show ESPN people are dying for sports right now and the ratings will be better than the slop they've been showing
Boy, I remember 2002 so vividly. I had just started with Home Depot and we had opened the store 2 weeks prior so no idea how I was able to have that Thursday and Saturday night off, but I did. I chewed my nails off for the first 58 minutes and then was on the edge of my seat for the remainder of the game. When GP scored in OT, I went to my knees in my living room with my arms in the air (a la Brandi Chastain) and couldn’t even scream. Eventually I started weeping uncontrollably and still get misty when I see it.

A different time for sure. I hated watching games with people and at bars. I didn’t want people talking while I was watching. My now wife learned the hard way when we started dating too!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3592
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 45 times
Age: 34

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MATT » Mon Apr 06 12:19 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 10:13 am
When GP scored in OT, I went to my knees in my living room with my arms in the air (a la Brandi Chastain) and couldn’t even scream. Eventually I started weeping uncontrollably and still get misty when I see it.
Did you also take your jersey off, revealing your sports bra?

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8978
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 47

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Steve MN » Mon Apr 06 12:20 pm

I didn't re-watch that game but I have both 02/03 games on DVD... may need to go back and watch those again.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Jupiter » Mon Apr 06 12:25 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:20 pm
I didn't re-watch that game but I have both 02/03 games on DVD... may need to go back and watch those again.
I wish I had a higher resolution capture system back then when I created those DVD's... But that is just how things were.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8978
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 47

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Steve MN » Mon Apr 06 1:51 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:25 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:20 pm
I didn't re-watch that game but I have both 02/03 games on DVD... may need to go back and watch those again.
I wish I had a higher resolution capture system back then when I created those DVD's... But that is just how things were.
Did you make the ones NCAA sold? That's where I got these.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Jupiter » Mon Apr 06 2:09 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 1:51 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:25 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:20 pm
I didn't re-watch that game but I have both 02/03 games on DVD... may need to go back and watch those again.
I wish I had a higher resolution capture system back then when I created those DVD's... But that is just how things were.
Did you make the ones NCAA sold? That's where I got these.
Oh no.... I did my own because back then the NCAA wasn't doing that. I also added any other video possible. Like post game video. TV interviews. As much as I could.

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6967
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times
Age: 41

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 06 3:17 pm

MATT wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:19 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 10:13 am
When GP scored in OT, I went to my knees in my living room with my arms in the air (a la Brandi Chastain) and couldn’t even scream. Eventually I started weeping uncontrollably and still get misty when I see it.
Did you also take your jersey off, revealing your sports bra?
Maybe....

EDIT: no jersey though. I only wear them to games. It seems when I wear them at home, they lose. I didn’t have a jersey on when during the 0.6 game, but wore my Rau jersey for the championship...dumb.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16396
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 06 3:39 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Apr 06 2:09 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 1:51 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:25 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:20 pm
I didn't re-watch that game but I have both 02/03 games on DVD... may need to go back and watch those again.
I wish I had a higher resolution capture system back then when I created those DVD's... But that is just how things were.
Did you make the ones NCAA sold? That's where I got these.
Oh no.... I did my own because back then the NCAA wasn't doing that. I also added any other video possible. Like post game video. TV interviews. As much as I could.
Can you post a view of the entire game with or without (obviously preferably with) your adds? I don't have my 2002 DVD with me and would love nothing more than to watch the entire game again rather than just highlights.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14826
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Jupiter » Mon Apr 06 3:44 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Apr 06 3:39 pm
Can you post a view of the entire game with or without (obviously preferably with) your adds? I don't have my 2002 DVD with me and would love nothing more than to watch the entire game again rather than just highlights.
I do not have the original video files anymore. I only have the DVD (somewhere). And I am not sure how good the quality would be to take that video off the DVD.

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Mon Apr 06 4:38 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 04 7:26 pm
Per a poster at USCHO:

ESPN has scheduled several rebroadcasts of NCAA games over the coming week. Here is the schedule as of now:
Sun 04/05 01:00 pm ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Mon 04/06 12:00 am ESPNU 2015 Midwest Regional Final RIT vs UNO
Thu 04/09 06:00 pm ESPN2 2009 Championship BU vs Miami
Thu 04/09 08:00 pm ESPN2 2015 Championship BU vs PC
Thu 04/09 10:00 pm ESPN2 2011 Championship UMD vs Michigan
Fri 04/10 10:00 am ESPN2 2002 Championship Maine vs Minnesota
Sun 04/12 08:00 am ESPNU NCAA Championship (no game information)
Sun 04/12 04:00 pm ESPNU 2009 East Regional Semifinal #2 UVM vs Yale
Sun 04/12 08:00 pm ESPNU 2005 Semifinal #1 CC vs DU
In addition to games moved to Facebook streaming, a few of the games still are on TV on Sunday (for now). The ESPN app shows the BU vs. Miami game, the UMD vs. Michigan game, and us vs. Maine game in that order on ESPN2. The app says it starts at noon, but I'm not sure if that's EDT or CDT.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4508
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 81 times
Age: 60

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Chris83 » Mon Apr 06 5:30 pm

How does one view the games via Facebook streaming? Is it a watch party type of thing? Thanks.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Mon Apr 06 7:24 pm

I'm guessing it's like the live broadcasts that's often used for press conferences and watch parties even though these are replays of games. I suppose they're doing it this way (as opposed to throwing it immediately up on on-demand) to make them quasi-events like the Final Five game was on here last week.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Apr 06 8:35 pm


User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Apr 06 8:44 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Apr 06 8:35 pm
That was the first college hockey game I ever saw in person. I scalped a pair of tickets for $350. What an amazing night.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7505
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Apr 06 8:47 pm

Well that certainly set the bar kinda high! :mrgreen:

User avatar
thinkbui
Veteran
Posts: 10238
Joined: Tue Mar 08 12:56 pm
Location: MN and I'm never going to move out of it again.
Been liked: 32 times
Age: 37

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by thinkbui » Mon Apr 06 9:16 pm

As overused as it might be, I don't think there's a better song to go with that moment than Heart of Courage.
Image

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times
Age: 53

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 07 8:19 am

For what it is worth---
Per my channel "updated" guide on DTV. The 2002 Maine v Gophers game is "scheduled" to be on ESPN2 on Sunday night at 7pm.

Here is the list of games per the guide--
Sunday 12pm--- 2009 BU vs Miami ( ESPN2 )
Sunday 2pm--- 2015 BU vs Providence ( ESPN2 )
Sunday 3pm--- 2009 Vermont vs Yale ( ESPNU )
Sunday 4pm--- 2011 Michigan vs Duluth ( ESPN2)
Sunday 7pm--- 2002 Maine vs Minnesota ( ESPN2)
Sunday 7pm--- 2005 CC vs Denver (ESPNU)
These have changed before, so don't be shocked if it happens again. Also, if people have NESN, they are playing some Beanpot games this weekend from various years.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8686
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Apr 07 9:00 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Apr 06 8:35 pm
Ha, 27 young Minnesoteans and 1 North Dakotan

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by streakygopher » Tue Apr 07 10:38 am

Leopold was really smart to shoot that puck off the goal and into traffic. It caused the goal tender to move way out of his set position while the puck fell straight down. The goalie's feet were all over the place on that play.

It was also sweet revenge that Schutte, who decided to show boat early in the game, put his team on the OT penalty kill and then watched from the penalty box as their season ended.

Gophers got the last "schush" that night. :)

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4508
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 81 times
Age: 60

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Chris83 » Tue Apr 07 11:48 am

I noticed during the UND game that Frank was having a bit of trouble distinguishing between Oshie (#7) and Toews (#9). Watching really made me appreciate what a gift Frank and Wooger were in the broadcast booth; we got to listen to them week after week for years, and it was such wonderful play calling and banter. Also, the intensity and flow of that game; just incredible. What great fun.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

upnorthkid
Rookie
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 19 6:45 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by upnorthkid » Tue Apr 07 4:32 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Tue Apr 07 11:48 am
I noticed during the UND game that Frank was having a bit of trouble distinguishing between Oshie (#7) and Toews (#9). Watching really made me appreciate what a gift Frank and Wooger were in the broadcast booth; we got to listen to them week after week for years, and it was such wonderful play calling and banter. Also, the intensity and flow of that game; just incredible. What great fun.
I think a huge part of it is they were always seeming to have a blast in the booth together. Seemed to have natural chemistry together where anyone with Clymer is left scratching their head too often to make it flow

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by streakygopher » Tue Apr 07 4:42 pm

upnorthkid wrote:
Tue Apr 07 4:32 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Tue Apr 07 11:48 am
I noticed during the UND game that Frank was having a bit of trouble distinguishing between Oshie (#7) and Toews (#9). Watching really made me appreciate what a gift Frank and Wooger were in the broadcast booth; we got to listen to them week after week for years, and it was such wonderful play calling and banter. Also, the intensity and flow of that game; just incredible. What great fun.
I think a huge part of it is they were always seeming to have a blast in the booth together. Seemed to have natural chemistry together where anyone with Clymer is left scratching their head too often to make it flow
How can anybody have chemistry with Clymer? For the play-by-play guy it's like being thrown the anchor instead of a life jacket when he needs a little help. The guy would bring anyone down.

You're absolutely right that Doug and Frank had a obvious affection toward one another, and at times they had some nice little riffs going that only two people who like each other can slip into naturally.

They were at times goofy and even campy, lacking in any professional polish, but that was part of their charm and what made them our own.

User avatar
Goldy77
Veteran
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Feb 01 10:06 am
Location: New Prague, MN
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 22 times
Age: 32

Re: FS North Gophers hockey classic

Post by Goldy77 » Tue Apr 07 6:03 pm

Hour long show on the 79’ team on BTN now.

Post Reply