Michigan vs #18 Gophers Feb 28 & 29

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Michigan vs #18 Gophers Feb 28 & 29

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 01 10:01 am

JWG wrote:
Sun Mar 01 8:46 am
F Da Sue wrote:
Sun Mar 01 8:18 am
The youngest team in the country that had a horrible start to the season ended up tied for 2nd in the Big 10 standings and is in the top 16 in the Pairwise.
I agree with this, though tied for 2nd is a bit comical when that means 4th place and dead center in the conference. They finished average. Which is what they were. They were below average, then they were above average, then they were average to finish. Overall, average.

Which not terrible for a team with 3 seniors, a new coach, two freshmen goalies, and most of the success coming from sophomores or freshmen.
When they went on their little run and starting playing much better, I said I'm okay with whatever end result they get so long as they can stay sharp and play like a team. I guess this is the result, but it's hard as fans to watch them come all this way and blow it in the last four games (players and coaches no doubt are taking it a lot harder). PSU has to be enjoying this. They sat idle this weekend unable to control their own destiny while Minnesota - their bitches now for the past several seasons - gift wrapped the Big 10 hardware for them.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Sun Mar 01 10:11 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Feb 29 6:42 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Feb 29 6:40 pm
Well, crap. Gonna be a last minute goal, then.
Drink faster. Or try harder! You can always squeeze out a drop!
Back about 20-25 years we had "the Potty-play" Which was defined as if you have to go during the play (not a stoppage) and you really had to go... and a GOAL happened. That was it. It worked. :good2:

It has to be like that and not "just let me go and pee and see if that causes a goal". So remember this next weekend.

I'm pretty bummed that we finished 4th, but maybe the other teams will relax and we can take advantage of that and we are at home.
GO GO Gophers!!!!

QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Goldy77 » Sun Mar 01 10:42 am

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 01 12:41 pm

Seems like a dream that 10 days ago we were in 1st place.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 01 1:25 pm

QueenofGopherHockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01 10:11 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Feb 29 6:42 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Feb 29 6:40 pm
Well, crap. Gonna be a last minute goal, then.
Drink faster. Or try harder! You can always squeeze out a drop!
Back about 20-25 years we had "the Potty-play" Which was defined as if you have to go during the play (not a stoppage) and you really had to go... and a GOAL happened. That was it. It worked. :good2:

It has to be like that and not "just let me go and pee and see if that causes a goal". So remember this next weekend.

I'm pretty bummed that we finished 4th, but maybe the other teams will relax and we can take advantage of that and we are at home.
GO GO Gophers!!!!

QoGH
It started for us during the Gophers/AF regional game several years ago. A large group of us were watching at a restaurant and we were down three zip I think. Three separate times, people went to the bathroom (because they had to) and we simultaneously scored. That’s when pee a goal was born.
We had a back and forth game up in tech one year too where we kept sending the same person to the bathroom and it worked five times. Mazocco I think it was at some point noticed and offered (jokingly) to get her a tv for the bathroom. 😆
Since then it has kinda just been a joke that when we need a goal, someone needs to go to the bathroom. Regardless of whether you have to go you still have to make the effort. Yeah it works every time about 10% of the time (and sometimes for the wrong team) but we’ve had fun with it.

Everyone hydrate well before the games next weekend! :D

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 01 1:59 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Mar 01 10:01 am
JWG wrote:
F Da Sue wrote:
The youngest team in the country that had a horrible start to the season ended up tied for 2nd in the Big 10 standings and is in the top 16 in the Pairwise.
I agree with this, though tied for 2nd is a bit comical when that means 4th place and dead center in the conference. They finished average. Which is what they were. They were below average, then they were above average, then they were average to finish. Overall, average.

Which not terrible for a team with 3 seniors, a new coach, two freshmen goalies, and most of the success coming from sophomores or freshmen.
When they went on their little run and starting playing much better, I said I'm okay with whatever end result they get so long as they can stay sharp and play like a team. I guess this is the result, but it's hard as fans to watch them come all this way and blow it in the last four games (players and coaches no doubt are taking it a lot harder). PSU has to be enjoying this. They sat idle this weekend unable to control their own destiny while Minnesota - their bitches now for the past several seasons - gift wrapped the Big 10 hardware for them.
Penn State wins again.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 267 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 01 2:24 pm

I know Stucker seems to be public enemy #1, but he has 7 PP points this year. Not a ton by any means, but Walker has 9, Meyers has 7, McManus has 6, McLaughlin has 5, Ranta has 4. It shows how poor the PP is and it is more than Stucker that is the issue.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Mar 01 2:29 pm

A good QB adds points to everyone else. Public enemy #1 is really the fact that since Reilly offense from the defense has been pathetic, which results in Stucker being your #1 PPQB.

I am praying Lacombe takes a step this summer, since I have hoped this with too many players lately and been disappointed in the fall. He's shown the closest resemblance to Reilly in terms of how he moves. We need the whole roster to take a step if they want to contend, though, and it's frustrating Walker and McLaughlin didn't really improve all that much this year from last.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 01 2:37 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 01 2:29 pm
I am praying Lacombe takes a step this summer, since I have hoped this with too many players lately and been disappointed in the fall. He's shown the closest resemblance to Reilly in terms of how he moves.
He's been my favorite Gopher as of late. I heard Motzko on the radio say that after he spends this summer in the weight room, watch out!
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 01 2:38 pm

I agree that next year LaCombe or Johnson better be running the points of the PP. I'm sure if tBob felt they were a better option this year that he would have them doing it. I would not oppose a good passing forward up there ( like Novak ) , but I don't think we have one of those on the roster now either other than Meyers.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 255 times

Post by Vegoe » Sun Mar 01 2:42 pm

Gopher Fan 26 wrote:
Sun Mar 01 9:46 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 01 9:25 am
BC is basically the same average age so let's stop using that excuse.
BC plays 6 senior forwards, and their top line has two seniors and a junior, and 4 senior defensemen, plus a junior in their top 6. Last night they only had 7 underclassmen skaters in the lineup (the Gophers had 14), so it's not the same thing at all but nice try. But their lights out freshman goalie is definitely nice to have.
If the Gophers got the goaltending that BC's gotten this year, then they'd easily be top 8 in PWR. It's been better in the second half, but took a long time to get there and as Mann demonstrated this weekend your goalie play is huge.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Mar 01 2:45 pm

Makes me wish we got Stauber to add competition cuz I don't see Lafontaine all of a sudden being great in his fourth college hockey season.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 01 2:58 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Mar 01 2:45 pm
Makes me wish we got Stauber to add competition cuz I don't see Lafontaine all of a sudden being great in his fourth college hockey season.
While I do agree that goaltending needs an upgrade, I just don't see Stauber being the guy. Watching him for the past 3 years at SF, his attitude reminds me a bit of Keiffer Bellows. Great player, but may not be the best team player. A couple of years ago when Stauber was splitting time in SF before he got on his hot playoff run, he was making some noise about his playing time. Maybe he has changed his mindset after being humbled by sitting on the bench at Kato.

Magic
Rookie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Magic » Sun Mar 01 4:07 pm

LaFontaine is a solid college goalie. The problem is he is not elite. He reminds me of Dubnyk who seems to give up a softie every game. Against the defensive Irish that might be the difference. Moe seems like a better chance to get hot because he has a bigger upside JMO

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 392 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 01 4:49 pm

streakygopher wrote:
JWG wrote:
F Da Sue wrote:

When they went on their little run and starting playing much better, I said I'm okay with whatever end result they get so long as they can stay sharp and play like a team.
The rest of that post doesn't seem consistent with this. They played good hockey the past two weekends, but sometimes things don't go your way.

It's no surprise that Scooby liked it though.
Currently under construction.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Mar 01 4:51 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Mar 01 4:49 pm
streakygopher wrote:
JWG wrote:
F Da Sue wrote:

When they went on their little run and starting playing much better, I said I'm okay with whatever end result they get so long as they can stay sharp and play like a team.
The rest of that post doesn't seem consistent with this. They played good hockey the past two weekends, but sometimes things don't go your way.

It's no surprise that Scooby liked it though.
I accept the result; I just don't like it. Did I mention I HATE to lose? :)

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 01 5:17 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
They played good hockey the past two weekends, but sometimes things don't go your way.
Motzko was very unhappy with their intensity level and play yesterday. He said something to the effect that "Too many of our guys took the night off."

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 01 5:32 pm

Jaxon Nelson had more body checks in one shift yesterday than most of the team all year. He will continue to be a crowd favorite if that continues and he adds some scoring.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Mar 01 5:46 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Mar 01 5:17 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
They played good hockey the past two weekends, but sometimes things don't go your way.
Motzko was very unhappy with their intensity level and play yesterday. He said something to the effect that "Too many of our guys took the night off."
I agree with Bob. With everything the team had on the line last night I was baffled by the lack of intensity. Other than in short stretches, the effort overall was lacking IMO. I felt like the crowd wanted to get into the game but the team did nothing to encourage it. Really, really disappointing game. :ddown:

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Mar 01 7:46 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 01 2:24 pm
I know Stucker seems to be public enemy #1, but he has 7 PP points this year. Not a ton by any means, but Walker has 9, Meyers has 7, McManus has 6, McLaughlin has 5, Ranta has 4. It shows how poor the PP is and it is more than Stucker that is the issue.
The team as a whole lacks top end shooting talent like Pitlick, Kloos, and Bjugstad which can’t be pinned on the D. But part of the issue is that having a QB who doesn’t move the puck efficiently and is basically a pylon with a big shot just doesn’t make for a good PP. At the very least with better puck movement you can scheme some good chances even if you don’t have a guy with a hard accurate one timer or whatever.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 01 8:52 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Mar 01 5:17 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
I should have said 'some" as I couldn't watch every game and was looking at close scores throughout.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Sun Mar 01 10:29 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sun Mar 01 7:46 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
The team as a whole lacks top end shooting talent like Pitlick, Kloos, and Bjugstad which can’t be pinned on the D. But part of the issue is that having a QB who doesn’t move the puck efficiently and is basically a pylon with a big shot just doesn’t make for a good PP. At the very least with better puck movement you can scheme some good chances even if you don’t have a guy with a hard accurate one timer or whatever.
The best power plays have something dangerous that other teams have to stop. There can be one timer guys like Ryan Potulny or Nick Bjugstad. There can also be some dangerous catch and shoot guys like Tyler Sheehy or Phil Kessel. Helps to have players up top who can make the PK look silly like Mike Reilly or Nate Schmidt. Or you can have someone in front of the net who just seems to get to every loose puck like Grant Potulny. I don't know what the strength of the Gophers PP is right now. The strategy against them seems to be make sure you don't let them get a rush scoring chance, take away any seam passes and tie up sticks anytime a shot comes in so they don't get rebound chances.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 02 2:18 am

The PP in the games I've seen lacks cohesion when they gain the zone. They pass around the perimeter quite a bit, then frustratingly when they get it down low and there are open lanes they throw it instead back to the blue line. Too many shots from the outside that rarely are on target, and they don't sustain possession long enough.

I'm not going to pretend I could tell them how to fix it personnel wise, but I can see before my eyes where it's falling apart.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Mon Mar 02 7:32 am

To me, it seems like they have completely abandoned the basic principal of getting the puck on net and then look for rebounds. Seems like there is never someone there to clean up the rebounds so a shot on net usually leads to the other team clearing the puck.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 02 11:40 am

It's probably just me, but when on the power play with the faceoff in the offensive zone it seems that we lose 75% of them, allowing immediate clears...and there goes at least 20 seconds of our man advantage. That certainly hasn't helped our PP percentage either.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 02 12:51 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Sun Mar 01 10:29 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Sun Mar 01 7:46 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
The best power plays have something dangerous that other teams have to stop. There can be one timer guys like Ryan Potulny or Nick Bjugstad. There can also be some dangerous catch and shoot guys like Tyler Sheehy or Phil Kessel. Helps to have players up top who can make the PK look silly like Mike Reilly or Nate Schmidt. Or you can have someone in front of the net who just seems to get to every loose puck like Grant Potulny. I don't know what the strength of the Gophers PP is right now. The strategy against them seems to be make sure you don't let them get a rush scoring chance, take away any seam passes and tie up sticks anytime a shot comes in so they don't get rebound chances.
I agree, that's what I was getting at with the shooting talent comment. But even without a guy like that it's still 5 on 4 and you should be able to make enough passes to create some chances. IDK if Stucker is the only issue in terms of personnel but he's certainly up there in terms of most noticeable, especially when you have two freshmen D who look far more comfortable with the puck on their stick.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Mon Mar 02 2:30 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 02 12:51 pm
I agree, that's what I was getting at with the shooting talent comment. But even without a guy like that it's still 5 on 4 and you should be able to make enough passes to create some chances. IDK if Stucker is the only issue in terms of personnel but he's certainly up there in terms of most noticeable, especially when you have two freshmen D who look far more comfortable with the puck on their stick.
The one thing with the freshman D is they are a little less risk adverse than Stucker and the only thing worse than a power play that isn't scoring, is a power play that's not scoring and giving up shorties. I'm sure in time LaCombe and Johnson will get their chance to run it.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Mon Mar 02 6:29 pm

Not sure I see that, Stucker Has got caught a couple time, Lacombe and johnson are both far better defensively and their skating would allow them to make up for mistakes more so than Stucker.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 02 10:29 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Mon Mar 02 2:30 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 02 12:51 pm
The one thing with the freshman D is they are a little less risk adverse than Stucker and the only thing worse than a power play that isn't scoring, is a power play that's not scoring and giving up shorties. I'm sure in time LaCombe and Johnson will get their chance to run it.
When I first read your post I thought the last sentence said they will get their chance to ruin it. I was kinda surprised at that until I re-read because you usually aren’t the pessimist. :lol:

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Mar 03 12:38 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Mon Mar 02 6:29 pm
Not sure I see that, Stucker Has got caught a couple time, Lacombe and johnson are both far better defensively and their skating would allow them to make up for mistakes more so than Stucker.
This is why I hate the idea of being “risk averse” when the alternative is a guy who probably makes just as many mistakes with half the skill.