U opens investigation into 1984-85 assistant...

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times

U opens investigation into 1984-85 assistant...

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 25 7:46 am

I thought is was a good idea to start a thread on this topic instead of talking about it in the regular season thread.

Here is the Athletic article that brought this to light:
https://theathletic.com/1591547/2020/02 ... used-them/

A few other articles:
https://www.therinklive.com/college/gop ... le-victims
http://www.startribune.com/u-of-m-opens-investigation-into-assistant-gophers-men-s-hockey-coach-from-1984-85/568155192/

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Re: U opens investigation into 1984-85 assistant...

Post by Beauner » Tue Feb 25 8:32 am

Yikes
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 25 8:41 am

Either my memory is horrible (not that up for debate :)) or nothing was known about this beyond insiders at the time. Because I sure as heck didn't really understand why BB was let go back then, and I don't remember Chico at all.
Currently under construction.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Feb 25 8:48 am

I think this Chico was just another seriously sick person in a position of power over young adults and adolescents who preyed on those individuals and when the organizations who hired him/them found out about these instances or some instances of abuse they just dismissed that person and swept the whole thing under the rug. That sick f*** Nassar did the same thing and several organizations just looked the other way. It took one strong individual to stand up and speak publicly to get people and those organizations to take notice and take action.

It makes a person wonder how many other Nassar's and Chico's are out there that were allowed to abuse those they were put in charge of for a long period of time...tens of years even. It's just f*** sick and makes my stomach turn.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Feb 25 9:08 am

Kick a program when it's down. f*** sicko
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Feb 25 9:51 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 9:08 am
What do you mean by this?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 25 10:03 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Feb 25 9:51 am
Bonin21 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 25 10:04 am

I certainly agree with the second half of the statement, the first half has me confused.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Tue Feb 25 10:12 am

I think Beutow may be in a bit of trouble here.... Obviously Adrahtas is in a HEAP of trouble.... The A.D. at the time, Paul Giel, is off the hook because he's been dead since 2002... Basically anyone below him that is still alive will be looked at closely.

But this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the current team.

xyz
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by xyz » Tue Feb 25 10:37 am

Buetow certainly doesn't look great here, having hired as an assistant a complete outsider who was a predatory pervert, but I do think it can be unfair to look at an issue only from the perspective of 2020, and not take into account when judging how people acted that it was a different time and that they didn't know then what we know now about Adrahtas specifically and in general about how people like him operate.

It's quite plausible that Buetow was unaware of exactly what Adrahtas was up to. The article depicts Buetow as being somewhat cold and distant and Adrahtas as having been closer to the players in a "buddy" role, which is not that uncommon a division of labor on a coaching staff, and predators are distressingly good at covering their tracks and hiding their behavior. And if you were an 18-year-old player in 1985, would you have been eager to go tell the head coach or an adminstrator "hey, I thought Chico was setting me up with a woman for anonymous, blindfolded sex, but it was actually something else"? Buetow certainly should have been aware something might be amiss but I find it hard to think he knew how bad it was.

As an aside, it's kind of weird to think that Buetow was only 34 years old when he was let go. He's only 11 years older than Motzko.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by JWG » Tue Feb 25 10:45 am

So why was Brad let go? I struggle to believe it was for failing to win the National Title in 1982. You don't fire runner up coaches. Even if you've won 3 in the past 6-7 years.
JWG
[This space for rent]

xyz
Rookie

Post by xyz » Tue Feb 25 10:59 am

Operating on an at-times faulty memory here, but I think a general sense of underachievement was the primary factor. They'd had loaded rosters in '81, '83, and '85, but lost in the '81 final and the '83 semifinal, and didn't make the Frozen Four in '85. I also seem to recall the players weren't real fond of him. If I remember correctly, the story was that he made the underclassmen take a bus ride back home to Minneapolis from Grand Forks immediately after they lost the third-place game in the '83 Frozen Four, and let the seniors stay overnight in a hotel and fly back the next day.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Feb 25 11:06 am

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 25 10:03 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Feb 25 9:51 am
Bonin21 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.
I just meant not a ton of good news for the program in the last five years, but this could have just as easily come out in 2014 so it doesn't really matter.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 300 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 25 11:10 am

JWG wrote:
Tue Feb 25 10:45 am
So why was Brad let go? I struggle to believe it was for failing to win the National Title in 1982. You don't fire runner up coaches. Even if you've won 3 in the past 6-7 years.
Lack of institutional control is my bet why he was canned. He may have known about it and did not deal with it properly or swiftly enough. Just a horrible situation.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Feb 25 11:32 am

JWG wrote:
I thought it had more to do with rumors of his relationship with a female college student, but it may have also had something to do with this assistant and not enough oversight.

There are lots of questions to look at here- did the U have knowledge that this occurred in the past with this guy? If not, how should they anticipate it occurring?

Giel handled it in the way that was common back then--- "get out of here." While that would be inappropriate today, at the time, unless there was some specific law being broken (which I don't know if they were on the books by then), then it was handled as well as could be expected at the time. Of course we would expect differently today; there are mandatory reporter questions (if any of the athletes were minors) and position of power questions.

Unlike Penn State, which knowingly and continually covered things up over a long period of time, it appears that the U did not allow that to occur during his short tenure.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Feb 25 12:13 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Feb 25 11:32 am
JWG wrote:
I thought it had more to do with rumors of his relationship with a female college student, but it may have also had something to do with this assistant and not enough oversight.

There are lots of questions to look at here- did the U have knowledge that this occurred in the past with this guy? If not, how should they anticipate it occurring?

Giel handled it in the way that was common back then--- "get out of here." While that would be inappropriate today, at the time, unless there was some specific law being broken (which I don't know if they were on the books by then), then it was handled as well as could be expected at the time. Of course we would expect differently today; there are mandatory reporter questions (if any of the athletes were minors) and position of power questions.

Unlike Penn State, which knowingly and continually covered things up over a long period of time, it appears that the U did not allow that to occur during his short tenure.
It doesn't sound like Giel even bothered to go through an investigation. Kicked him to the curb. Boom gone.

“I told him the story just like I’m telling you,” Kellin said. “Paul Giel ended up firing him. He told me, ‘Chico’s outta here. You’ll never see him again.'”

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Iceburg » Tue Feb 25 12:53 pm

Going by my fuzzy memory, Adrahtas was kind of a hot young coach who came out of Chicago as hockey was really taking off there. Don't recall where he was coaching before getting the Gopher job. When he got released it was quick and kind of quiet. I always kind of guessed it was some recruiting violation thing.

As far as Buetow goes, I think the general opinion at the time was that he was hurt by Herbie's shadow and the team was underperforming. I don't think any one incident was suspected by the public st the time.

Retired Thread Police

xyz
Rookie

Post by xyz » Tue Feb 25 1:15 pm

He had been hired by Buetow, who wasn't going to be around; Adrahtas was still under contract, and resigned before Woog was actually named coach (the picture of him with recruits in the article in The Athletic was taken during that interim period). The fact that he wasn't going to be kept by the new guy anyway likely provided some cover, in his warped mind. His departure was called a resignation publicly, although one suspects he was told he was resigning.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Feb 25 2:41 pm

xyz wrote:
Tue Feb 25 1:15 pm
He had been hired by Buetow, who wasn't going to be around; Adrahtas was still under contract, and resigned before Woog was actually named coach (the picture of him with recruits in the article in The Athletic was taken during that interim period). The fact that he wasn't going to be kept by the new guy anyway likely provided some cover, in his warped mind. His departure was called a resignation publicly, although one suspects he was told he was resigning.
This usually happens when an employer isn't going to pay benefits, severance, remainder contract.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by thinkbui » Tue Feb 25 3:34 pm

I don't think "shocking" would do justice to these allegations. As much as I've interacted with Athletics folks in the past 2 decades, I stay aloof enough to still believe the facade that they work so hard to maintain because I want to believe that facade even knowing that there's periodic drama just like any other organization made up of humans, so when something this serious comes out...Mother of Mercy...

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Feb 25 9:12 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Tue Feb 25 3:34 pm
I don't think "shocking" would do justice to these allegations. As much as I've interacted with Athletics folks in the past 2 decades, I stay aloof enough to still believe the facade that they work so hard to maintain because I want to believe that facade even knowing that there's periodic drama just like any other organization made up of humans, so when something this serious comes out...Mother of Mercy...
That was an odd time for Gopher sports.

Luther Darville was causing issues for football
Gopher basketball had a rape scandal in Madison that caused Jim Dutcher to resign
Buetow and Chico in hockey

Despite the Voelz years and the Clem Haskins conundrum, it has come a long way in 35 years....

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by thinkbui » Tue Feb 25 10:47 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Feb 25 9:12 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Tue Feb 25 3:34 pm
That was an odd time for Gopher sports.

Luther Darville was causing issues for football
Gopher basketball had a rape scandal in Madison that caused Jim Dutcher to resign
Buetow and Chico in hockey

Despite the Voelz years and the Clem Haskins conundrum, it has come a long way in 35 years....
Well, the Teague years too plus the recent football scandal that had more to do with the culture he brought than anything Coyle did.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Feb 25 11:19 pm

35 years is a long time you better figure something out in that much time
Loserville, USA

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Feb 26 7:31 am

Don't forget about the fall from grace of the wrestling program and their little drug business.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 26 9:52 am

Pioneer Press has an interview with former Gopher Tony Kellin. He corroborates some of the accusations

https://www.twincities.com/2020/02/25/f ... ant-coach/
GPL's official source of trivia.

Gopho Sapiens

Post by Gopho Sapiens » Fri Feb 28 5:29 pm

At the time, I didn't understand the U not renewing Buetows contract. This potentially casts a different light on the situation.

mlhouse
Rookie
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mlhouse » Mon Mar 09 10:11 pm

What is the point of all of this? 1985 is 35 years ago. Every single person involved is no longer involved in the program, with Brad Buetow being fired that same year, 1985 and replaced by Coach Woog.

It is highly doubtful that there was an actual crime committed, even if there was the statute of limitation on all criminal and civil crimes have long since expired, and even if that were not the case, gathering evidence to even suggest a crime after all of these decades is beyond reasonable.

There isn't anyone to charge. There isn't anyone to fire. And, while I believe the stories, there isn't any real proof to drag an individual through the mud, at great expense (do you know how much the law firm the U hired charges?), this is a story that should appear in the press and does not need this investigation.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 09 10:56 pm

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Mar 10 9:21 am

mlhouse wrote:
Mon Mar 09 10:11 pm
What is the point of all of this? 1985 is 35 years ago. Every single person involved is no longer involved in the program, with Brad Buetow being fired that same year, 1985 and replaced by Coach Woog.

It is highly doubtful that there was an actual crime committed, even if there was the statute of limitation on all criminal and civil crimes have long since expired, and even if that were not the case, gathering evidence to even suggest a crime after all of these decades is beyond reasonable.

There isn't anyone to charge. There isn't anyone to fire. And, while I believe the stories, there isn't any real proof to drag an individual through the mud, at great expense (do you know how much the law firm the U hired charges?), this is a story that should appear in the press and does not need this investigation.
Maybe I should just let Jup's response speak for us all, but I can't help myself.

You investigate these accusations if for nothing else than to learn from them and put in preventative actions in an effort to keep something like this from happening again. There have been an absurd number of similar accusations across the country/world where athletes have been subjected to unwanted sexual contact from a person of influence over their future. This cycle has to stop.

I can't believe I had to spell that out.

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Wed Mar 11 7:18 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Mar 10 9:21 am
mlhouse wrote:

Maybe I should just let Jup's response speak for us all, but I can't help myself.

You investigate these accusations if for nothing else than to learn from them and put in preventative actions in an effort to keep something like this from happening again. There have been an absurd number of similar accusations across the country/world where athletes have been subjected to unwanted sexual contact from a person of influence over their future. This cycle has to stop.

BS. These incidents are more than 35 years old and there isn't anything to learn from them. To "learn from them" and to "stop the cycle", the information that is developed would have to lead to policy changes at the University. These incidents more than 3 decades old aren't going to change a thing and if the University hasn't put proper policies in place about these issues with all of the "absurd number of similar accusations across the country/world", then that is an entirely different problem altogether. If there was something actual that could be done, firing some of those who covered the charges up for example, it would be different. But these people are long gone.

Further, and although I tend to believe the stories, dragging someone through the mud more than 35 years later simply has no value. There are reasons for statutes of limitations on criminal and civil charges because after certain periods of time people accused of things cannot adequately defend themselves from the charges.

At the same time, I am not claiming that sleeping dogs should just lie. The media has presented the case and that should be sufficient to bring it to light.

Lastly, as an alumni who was on campus in the mid-1980s the world's view of homosexuality has changed significantly since then and that issue cannot be removed from this story. I had several friends who were gay and how they were treated was much different than it is today. When I was on campus one of the Gopher football players committed suicide in 1983, Sid wrote a sad commentary talking about his fiance and family, but the kid was gay and couldn't live with the conflict. Not saying this changes what may have happened, but just to demonstrate it was a much different world.

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Wed Mar 11 9:03 pm

Stop. Just stop.

mjarz02
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times

Post by mjarz02 » Wed Mar 11 9:08 pm

mlhouse wrote:
Wed Mar 11 7:18 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
mlhouse wrote:

BS. These incidents are more than 35 years old and there isn't anything to learn from them. To "learn from them" and to "stop the cycle", the information that is developed would have to lead to policy changes at the University. These incidents more than 3 decades old aren't going to change a thing and if the University hasn't put proper policies in place about these issues with all of the "absurd number of similar accusations across the country/world", then that is an entirely different problem altogether. If there was something actual that could be done, firing some of those who covered the charges up for example, it would be different. But these people are long gone.

Further, and although I tend to believe the stories, dragging someone through the mud more than 35 years later simply has no value. There are reasons for statutes of limitations on criminal and civil charges because after certain periods of time people accused of things cannot adequately defend themselves from the charges.

At the same time, I am not claiming that sleeping dogs should just lie. The media has presented the case and that should be sufficient to bring it to light.

Lastly, as an alumni who was on campus in the mid-1980s the world's view of homosexuality has changed significantly since then and that issue cannot be removed from this story. I had several friends who were gay and how they were treated was much different than it is today. When I was on campus one of the Gopher football players committed suicide in 1983, Sid wrote a sad commentary talking about his fiance and family, but the kid was gay and couldn't live with the conflict. Not saying this changes what may have happened, but just to demonstrate it was a much different world.
This story has nothing to do with homosexuality...Might want to read up on why people sexually abuse others.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Mar 11 9:09 pm

mlhouse wrote:
Lastly, as an alumni who was on campus in the mid-1980s the world's view of homosexuality has changed significantly since then and that issue cannot be removed from this story.
If you think this is a homosexuality issue you really are living in a cave.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Maize » Wed Mar 11 9:17 pm

It was not an easy competition to be one of the wildest things I've read today, but here we are.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 11 9:38 pm

I don’t know why this thread even needed to be created. Can it please go away?

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Wed Mar 11 10:10 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 11 9:38 pm
Yeah, who created this thread? Get the pitchforks! :mrgreen:

Greyeagle
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Mar 11 10:11 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
If Jup had not created this thread the conversation would have spilled into the 2020 season thread.
Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:46 am
I thought is was a good idea to start a thread on this topic instead of talking about it in the regular season thread.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 11 10:16 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Mar 11 10:11 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
If Jup had not created this thread the conversation would have spilled into the 2020 season thread.
Jupiter wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:46 am
Fair point.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Mar 12 1:35 am

mlhouse wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
mlhouse wrote:

Currently under construction.

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Thu Mar 12 7:00 pm

Superstar wrote:
Wed Mar 11 9:03 pm
Stop. Just stop.
I get that you cannot explain one reason why this should be pursued. YOu just need to "stop" the conversation.

1. There is NOTHING to be gained by any investigation. No one can be fired. No one can be prevented from being hired. NO one can be charged with criminal conduct or sued in civil court. If the University of Minnesota already does not have policy with respect to these issues then that is their own backwardness. It is a wasted investigation, wasted money, spent on doing nothing but drag people through the mud.

2. This is different from stating that the media should not make a story of this and get the facts out in public if that is necessary. But, as I have said, there are reasons why we have statute of limitations. It is impossible to defend oneself after 35 years against general charges such as these.

3. Claiming that there isn't a homosexuality perspective to this is again false. The social climate of the U of M in 1985 is much different than it was today.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Mar 12 7:10 pm

First, I get both sides of the argument, I truly do. Part of me feels the that the outcome of an investigation won’t result in a punishment that fit the crime and that isn’t going to make anyone feel better. That being said, I think the U owes it to the victims to do their part by looking into it, even if nothing comes from it.

I think the biggest takeaway here is that there is a differing of opinions and so far the discussion has been civil, but when some here don’t agree with someone or there is a different approach taken in looking at it, they get crucified for thinking a particular way about it.

It’s not like he/she said “they deserved what they got”. Just offered another viewpoint on the subject.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Thu Mar 12 8:05 pm

My family has someone who was on that team.

They are supportive of this investigation.

mlhouse
Rookie

Post by mlhouse » Sat Mar 14 10:21 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 12 7:10 pm
First, I get both sides of the argument, I truly do. Part of me feels the that the outcome of an investigation won’t result in a punishment that fit the crime and that isn’t going to make anyone feel better. That being said, I think the U owes it to the victims to do their part by looking into it, even if nothing comes from it.

I think the biggest takeaway here is that there is a differing of opinions and so far the discussion has been civil, but when some here don’t agree with someone or there is a different approach taken in looking at it, they get crucified for thinking a particular way about it.

It’s not like he/she said “they deserved what they got”. Just offered another viewpoint on the subject.
At least you are open minded, but lets make this clear.

THERE IS NOTHING THIS INVESTIGATION CAN DO TO RESULT IN A PUNISHMENT. These events happened more than 35 years ago. The hockey staff involved was fired that year, in 1985. Every other single person involved: administration, AD, atheltic department have long ago left the University and some are not even still living today (and would not have a chance to defend themselves).

The statute of limitations has expired for all criminal charges and civil cases. So, you cannot charge anyone with a crime or sue the person for any damages.

So, what is the point of the University of Minnesota's investigation ?

Is it to change University of MN policy? If this is the case then the administration should be ashamed of themselves since they are way behind the times.

Is it to find out the truth of the matter? I think the media story is enough to bring out the truth. What they are going to find it was a different era and this has the gay dimension that in 1985 it simply wasn't the same as it is today. They slid this under the rug because that is what these organizations did with these issues in 1985. What is this investigation going to do to change that? Fire Brad Buetow again? Hang him in effigy? Create a holiday were classes close down and everyone goes to the U Mall and chants death slogans against him?

Or is it someone's mission to just create this huge national embarrassment to the program over events that happened before all of the current players were ever born involving U of M coaches/administrators that are long gone?