Buckeyes Dec 6-7

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
SkiUMah
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Buckeyes Dec 6-7

Post by SkiUMah » Fri Dec 06 9:27 pm

Just a terrible goal to give up after another Mclaughlin turnover

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Fri Dec 06 9:27 pm

Kick me like you've kicked before
I can't even feel the pain no more

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Fri Dec 06 9:41 pm

Moe tomorrow, hope he does better

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Dec 06 9:44 pm

The thing that is disappointing is they played a pretty solid game, had a horrible turnover with less than 1 minute left in OT and get nothing for it. Unfortunately with this team, they normally are unable to put together a complete 2 game weekend, so it really stings to give this one up. I have no idea which Gopher team comes out to play tomorrow. I thought Meyers, Nelson and Ranta all stood out tonight. Brodzinski shows flashes, but boy he looks slow on the ice. My guess we see Moe on Saturday, although LaFontaine played well, just not well enough to win. We need a goalie to flat out steal one . Good teams find a way to win those types of games, and they are not there yet.
Last edited by frozen4champs on Fri Dec 06 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Dec 06 9:47 pm

Worth record through 17 games in about 20 years. Lucia's first year.

6-10-1 then which is the same winning percentage as 5-9-3 now.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Fri Dec 06 9:50 pm

Before the season I guessed over 20 games, not even close this year.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Kelor » Fri Dec 06 9:51 pm

Tonight was maybe the first time in 40 years I forgot there was even a game. Next year can't come fast enough.

Am I reading it correctly that we've won 2 of the last 13 games?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Dec 06 9:54 pm

Kelor wrote:
Fri Dec 06 9:51 pm
Am I reading it correctly that we've won 2 of the last 13 games?
That's right. When you say it like that, and realize 2 of the wins before that came against 4-8-2 Niagara...

This team isn't any good.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Fri Dec 06 10:00 pm

I was hoping when they had trouble with Niagara it was because they were decent, but it wasn't the case. Having watched every game it looks like partly they are not as well conditioned and get kind of tired out. Good goalies can cover for that, but goalie was a big question mark coming into this season.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 134 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Dec 06 10:03 pm

They didn’t play a bad game tonight but you can see that the talent just isn’t there in a lot of key spots (currently, some of these guys will improve). LaFontaine is athletic and makes some great saves but he’s also not very consistent and lets in enough dumb goals over the course of a season to be a sub or low .900 goalie each year he’s been in the NCAA. None of the freshmen forwards look to be as good as some of the better freshmen over the years either. And the D has its limitations mostly from Lucia leftovers.

At this point I just hope to see improvement out of the younger guys as the year goes on so that there’s some hope for next year.
Last edited by trixR4kids on Fri Dec 06 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 68 times

Post by streakygopher » Fri Dec 06 10:04 pm

Gophers probably deserved a win tonight, but they couldn't finish as usual. Two goals is rarely enough.

LaFontaine hasn't been very good, and I didn't think he was sharp tonight.

If the Gophers follow the script, they'll get smoked tomorrow night. OSU realizes they stole one tonight and need tomorrow's game to avoid the dreaded pairwise penalty for losing to a loser. :)

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Dec 06 10:07 pm

I feel like the script this year at least has mostly been terrible Friday game and good Saturday game, at least at home. That said I get what you mean, OSU is the more talented team and looked a bit off today.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Dec 06 10:58 pm

So sick of games like tonight. We can't win games even when we play our best, still give them away. Our best efforts of year have been losses save the Wisconsin win. We don't have a goalie good enough to win close games. Haven't been many games where our guy outplayed the other guy.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Dec 06 11:01 pm

It's a whole new team. Give it time to gel. Patience is a virtue.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by D2D » Fri Dec 06 11:03 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the Gophers come out tomorrow after such a hugely disappointing loss. To give up the lead and then the game in overtime was a big punch to the gut, to be sure. With the 3rd about halfway gone I was pretty confident the Gophers were going to win, based on the way they were controlling the play, thwarting the Buckeyes rush attempts and doing a great job of limiting their zone time. But as soon as Ohio State tied it up about halfway through the 3rd I lost confidence that the Gophers would rebound, and score the go-ahead goal that would hold up. And when it finally went to OT, knowing how the Gophs are not very good at 3 on 3's, or shootouts, I pretty much knew they would have to find a way to win in the regular 5 on 5 OT session. But predictably the tide had turned, and in the overtime the Gophers reverted to their bad old habits, and you just knew this one was all but over.

Clearly this was a game the Gophers should have - and needed - to win to gain some measure of respectability and reverse what's been a terrible first half of the season, a season that I'm afraid is now all but lost for NCAA Tournament considerations. I just don't envision a dramatic turnaround in the second half, given the current roster. They just don't have what's needed to post a lopsided margin in the win column the rest of the way.

Compared to pretty much all the teams they've played recently I really don't think Ohio State belongs in that top tier; they are a team that the Gophers cannot only compete with, but should beat - with the current roster. We'll see how they respond tomorrow.

Note: I will continue to attend all of the Gopher home games, and will remain a super partisan fan, indefinitely. I remain hopeful that better times lie in the not-to-distant future.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by JWG » Fri Dec 06 11:08 pm

We now have to hope they figure it out for the 2nd half and come out like gangbusters after the break. UND did that for years, maybe we'll be able to.
Get the surprising upset win in the B1G tournament for an auto-bid!
JWG
[This space for rent]

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Dec 06 11:13 pm

JWG wrote:
Fri Dec 06 11:08 pm
We now have to hope they figure it out for the 2nd half and come out like gangbusters after the break. UND did that for years, maybe we'll be able to.
Get the surprising upset win in the B1G tournament for an auto-bid!
Well you're right on one count, in that it would be surprising. Not impossible, but based on what we've seen to date, the odds of that happening are not good.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Dec 07 12:03 am

For that to happen one of the goalies would have to get hot. Of the 3 I'm most confident in Moe's potential to be the one to have a chance. A split would be nice going into the break.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sat Dec 07 8:13 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Dec 06 11:01 pm
Every team in the country has a new roster this season. What makes Minny’s situation so special that we need additional time to ‘gel’? Honest question - I haven’t watched/followed the team for months. Was there a mass exodus or something during the off-season?

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Dec 07 8:20 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sat Dec 07 8:13 am
The Rube wrote:
Every team in the country has a new roster this season. What makes Minny’s situation so special that we need additional time to ‘gel’? Honest question - I haven’t watched/followed the team for months. Was there a mass exodus or something during the off-season?
Yes...of fans...
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Dec 07 8:28 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sat Dec 07 8:13 am
The Rube wrote:
Massive influx of freshman. Youngest team in D1 hockey. Most teams have a few new faces here and there, so in comparison, the Gophers did have a mass exodus compared to last year, including 3 new goalies. If we play this way next year, then I will be worried.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 10:09 am

UMD national championship team two years ago had 10 freshmen and 7 sophomores.

Being young is an okay excuse for not contending but it's a BS excuse for not being any good.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sat Dec 07 10:13 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 10:09 am

Being young is an okay excuse for not contending but it's a BS excuse for not being any good.
And they lost 5 of their top 6 scorers from the previous season as well as their starting goalie.

This year I’ve noticed other young teams (https://www.collegehockeynews.com/alman ... ageavg.php) are already contending/ranked in the top 10. Bad puck luck for us. Guess I’ll keep waiting and hoping. 2 years, right? ;)

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Dec 07 12:54 pm

Then I guess stop watching. Oh, already have?
Currently under construction.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sat Dec 07 1:46 pm

Hard to find college hockey on the pirated feed I get here in Germany. Mainly metric football, American football, and random sports are on tap. Only pro hockey is available for the most part. Apparently it’s not as difficult to watch US college hockey from the Philippines?
Here’s the feed I use: https://www.vipbox.live/

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Dec 07 1:49 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 10:09 am

Agreed, there were definitely times early on this year where the chemistry was clearly lacking and I chalk some of that up to the team not having played in actual games together (which goes hand in hand with "youth") but some of that would be far less obvious if the talent level was higher and a few guys could put on individual efforts to elevate the team as a whole (especially true for the goaltending).

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 1:54 pm

What is up with Wait? Is he injured? By no means is he the savior, but I think he is a better option than Marooney. I love Marooney's passion, but he is a fill in player in my eyes.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Dec 07 2:47 pm

From what I can tell they're both fill-in guys, Marooney is just faster.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 4:42 pm

@Jupiter’s schedule says 6pm but BTN+ and CHN have the game listed at 7pm CST.

So I guess I have an extra hour to get $h!t done!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 5:24 pm

LaFontaine starting again. Wait in for Burke.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 6:42 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Dec 07 4:42 pm
@Jupiter’s schedule says 6pm but BTN+ and CHN have the game listed at 7pm CST.

So I guess I have an extra hour to get $h!t done!
I was pretty confused when I turned on the radio about a half hour ago and heard craft beer talk from guys who sound a lot like Wally and Frank.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 7:08 pm

Taking a break putting up the Christmas decorations to watch the game. Just got the fake tree up; I made sure the important ornaments made it up first however.
62D9735C-0259-47A4-BD27-ABFD409BF307.jpeg

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sat Dec 07 7:10 pm

Any streams besides BTN+ for the game?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 7:12 pm

Less than a grand in the stands pathetic
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Laxref » Sat Dec 07 7:15 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 7:12 pm
So like us, except they have an excuse that their football team is playing a game we have never been able to reach.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 7:17 pm

They’ve never had a sold out arena every game for several years in a row. Nor are they the state of hockey. So their benchmark is a bit different.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 7:19 pm

Laxref wrote:
Sat Dec 07 7:15 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Dec 07 7:12 pm
So like us, except they have an excuse that their football team is playing a game we have never been able to reach.
Didn't say we are a shining example ;)
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 7:25 pm

Moe must be in the doghouse. I’m surprised they haven’t continued to alternate as neither one has really been heads above the other.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 7:28 pm

Sorenson 1-0.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 7:29 pm

Sorenson goal

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 7:30 pm

Westlund 1-1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 7:31 pm

Might need to spend more time recruiting a goalie this season than expected.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 7:32 pm

Bad goal let in by LaFontaine

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 7:32 pm

End of 1, tied at 1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 8:06 pm

Halftime.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 8:24 pm

End of 2, tied at 1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jupiter » Sat Dec 07 8:36 pm

Sorry... sometimes I get the time wrong and it changes.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Dec 07 8:38 pm

The camera man can't even keep up with Brodzinski. :lol:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 8:45 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Sat Dec 07 8:36 pm
Sorry... sometimes I get the time wrong and it changes.
Hey no problem to be an hour early! I might have words if it’s late ;)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 8:59 pm

Another exciting game...
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 9:00 pm

Is anyone else watching the game?
I appreciate that they shut up when play stops but the camera guy has had some difficulties.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 9:12 pm

End of 3, tied at 1.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 9:12 pm

Somebody step up! And win this one. This is the type of game that has slipped away late soooooo many times lately.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 9:15 pm

Is this like our seventh or eighth overtime against them in the last four years or something?

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 9:21 pm

Game over, 1-1 OTT in all things that matter.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 9:21 pm

Tie... 2 wins in 14
Sick of LOSERVILLE

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 9:25 pm

Meyers 2-1, 3-on-3.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 9:30 pm

Good bounce back game by LaFontaine. Feels like a win, even though it was a tie. Good, solid road weekend.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 9:33 pm

lol what
Sick of LOSERVILLE

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Dec 07 9:36 pm

Sorry to try to be positive. :roll:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Dec 07 9:37 pm

You can take positives out of it (like Ranta gaining more and more confidence) but to say it was a good solid road weekend overall is just accepting mediocrity IMO.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Gopher Fan 26
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Fan 26 » Sat Dec 07 9:38 pm

It was at least a solid performance on the road. For this team, that’s a solid road weekend.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Dec 07 9:40 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Dec 07 9:36 pm
Sorry to try to be positive. :roll:
To get the extra point on the road against a Top 10 ranked team is a step in the right direction.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 9:41 pm

We kept up with a team ranked #7. We could have won both games. This season, yep I’ll take it as a positive.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Dec 07 10:24 pm

LaFontaine reminds me a bit of Kellen Briggs. Every now and then he'll let in a bad goal, but plays solid enough to keep us in games. The difference is that Briggs had an offense that could score a ton of goals playing in front of him while LaFontaine has at best a WIP.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Dec 07 10:59 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Sat Dec 07 10:24 pm
LaFontaine reminds me a bit of Kellen Briggs. Every now and then he'll let in a bad goal, but plays solid enough to keep us in games. The difference is that Briggs had an offense that could score a ton of goals playing in front of him while LaFontaine has at best a WIP.
Given the offense......and the defense....in front of them, I’ll give the goalies a pass. I think they are doing a fine job given what they have to work with. Are they stellar? No, but if we could score another goal or two here and there and make less stupid turnovers and play a little bit better D, I think we’d be singing a different tune.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Dec 07 11:17 pm

Allowing just the one goal against the 7th ranked team was a total team effort. Meanwhile, at the other end, scoring just a single goal is not going to win you many games. I wish our forwards could gain more zone time than what they typically have been able to establish. The Gophs can look very good rushing the puck up ice, but all too often the other team seems to break out of their end with relative ease. But as I noted in another thread, they are making progress in both ends and overall this is very encouraging.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 08 12:29 pm

@SkiUMahLaw I believe the stat was 11 of the last twelve games against OSU have been 1 goal games (including OT; of which there have been 6).

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Dec 09 2:15 pm

By the way... if there was a game you'd want to not have televised, then that 1-1 Ohio State game might be up there. Total road game by the Gophers not trying to make any mistakes. The only goal against came on a 2-on-1 rush the other way off a broken stick. Nanne took away the pass defending it and the shooter picked his spot.

I thought Walker looked like he's making strides in his gama again, he's got to be more than just an individual out there to be effective with how hard everyone is checking him.

Motzko said after the game that he's encouraged that the spirit of the team has been good no matter what has happened to them. The coach was pretty happy with their 130 minutes of hockey, just wish the came home with more than two points. He feels all the freshman are picking up steam--highlighting LaCombe for playing his best game of the year on Friday, felt Johnson was really good on Saturday, Ben Meyers' play has been off the charts, Staudacher has been steady self, Nelson was good and Sorenson is getting better.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Norm » Mon Dec 09 8:07 pm

I like Ben Meyers. But off the charts???

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 09 8:46 pm

I thought the same thing. No Gopher has been off the charts.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Laxref » Mon Dec 09 8:48 pm

Last Saturday’s game replay televised on BTN at 8am Wednesday morning.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Tue Dec 10 12:29 am

Catching on maybe, but off the charts? Charts are like 0 - 100%, so off the charts would be like 110%. Goals in bunches, that’s off the charts. Clearing bodies out from the front of the net, take away scoring chances, that’s off the charts.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Tue Dec 10 1:06 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Dec 09 8:46 pm
I thought the same thing. No Gopher has been off the charts.
Not even close. They are all very much confined within the charts. :)

The team goal tending is middling at best, the defense is eminently beatable, and the forward set struggles to maintain control of the puck. I think their record accurately represents where they're at as a team.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Dec 10 1:56 pm

I agree that using "off the charts" wasn't the best adjective to use describing Meyers play. Maybe unexpected, exceeds expectations, or most consistent forward. That said, I'm sure tBob was giddy after seeing his team play 2 games vs OSU after the dumpster fire from the weekend before. I will give him a pass on it. One of the many differences between Motzko and Lucia is that tBob wears his emotions on his sleeve and will give the media a somewhat straight answer rather than the vanilla responses tDon would spew out. I think Motzko is the kind of coach who will pat a player on the back, and isn't afraid to lite him up if need be. He has to walk a fine line and not always be critical. Could you imagine if tBob would come out every week and say "we stink", or after a win or tie, "we stunk less tonight". What a toxic locker room that would be. I also don't want a coach who is always duckies and bunnies. Need a healthy medium, and I think Motzko is. Some may say apathy has set in with me, not true. My expectations for Gopher Hockey is always high, but I realize this year will not live up to my expectations. I am also confident that better years are ahead, and will ride the roller coaster this year and have trust that tBob and his staff will get this thing turned.