Gophers vs. hawks. Thanksgiving showdown

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Gophers vs. hawks. Thanksgiving showdown

Post by D2D » Sat Nov 30 11:53 pm

QueenofGopherHockey wrote:
Fri Nov 29 8:39 am
I am a long time fan here... I have seen the worst (1971-1972) and also the best (2002-2003) of this team. I have read all the posts in this thread...

What the h*ll is going on? :shock: I bleed maroon & gold, I can only afford to go to a few games each year although I was a season ticket holder for over 25 years. I won tickets for Friday's (today) game and I was really excited. I watched the game last night at home after I went to a great Turkey day feast and I couldn't believe the debacle! After the 8th Hawks goal I turned the game OFF. I almost never do that. :cry:

I WILL BE there tonight, even if my friend does not want to go. I have arranged to meet up with my old section 17 friends as they are missing me and my LOUD voice!!! I do hope I have something to yell & cheer about. I am not happy what is happening to this program. The players, coaches and administrators need to care about this team MORE than they do. The ticket prices are out of control and need to be revised for ALL. :M:

QoGH
Great seeing you between periods, QoGH! Do not lose hope!

GO GOPHERS!
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 417 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 01 12:43 am

gopherfun83 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 11:42 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Sat Nov 30 10:49 pm
BTW, i watched a Sue fan go through 12 Nordeast cans last night. I love me some Nordeast, but not a 12 pack of tallboys in one game that costs as much as buying about a quarter of a pallet of the stuff. I said to the lady sitting next to me, Wisconsin folks drink excessively because they are bored, North Dakota fans drink that much because they have to try and deal with the pain of being from North Dakota.
I was surrounded by UND fans both games. Most of them smelled like they had been bathing in beer. This was the worst fan experience I have ever had at a Gophers game, including away games.
You must not have yet attended a game in grand forks wearing Gopher apparel. As uncomfortable as it was in Mariucci Thursday and Friday night, it pales in comparison to being at the ralph. I refuse to ever go back there.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Dec 01 7:52 am

Have no desire to ever go to GF for a game. In my vast experiences with ND faithful, I've only met 3 (yes it is exact because it is very specific) that are good people. One of them took a trip to Madison last year and was appalled by how the fanbase was acting and was totally embarrassed by their behavior , I said to them now you are why i would never spend my time or money making the trip to GF. Going into someone else's rink, field, etc donning visiting colors, I know I'll get razzed, booed, etc and i can handle it. What I wont put myself through is just being outright abused
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 579 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Dec 01 8:18 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Dec 01 7:52 am
Have no desire to ever go to GF for a game. In my vast experiences with ND faithful, I've only met 3 (yes it is exact because it is very specific) that are good people. One of them took a trip to Madison last year and was appalled by how the fanbase was acting and was totally embarrassed by their behavior , I said to them now you are why i would never spend my time or money making the trip to GF. Going into someone else's rink, field, etc donning visiting colors, I know I'll get razzed, booed, etc and i can handle it. What I wont put myself through is just being outright abused
It’s not a fanbase, it’s a cult.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Dec 01 8:30 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Dec 01 8:18 am
00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Dec 01 7:52 am
It’s not a fanbase, it’s a cult.
Sadly with how drunk they all are, they'd have to each drink a pitcher of Kool Aid just to reach the enlightened state to join Ben Blood on a UFO behind the Halebop Comet
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Melvin
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Melvin » Sun Dec 01 10:44 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:25 pm
Here was my response in the comment section of the survey:

The athletic department completely missed the mark on this series. You invite our biggest rival, the team with the most passionate fan base who travel insanely well (and have many who live here), and you do this on a holiday. Clearly you are out of touch as most of us die hard fans could have readily told you why this plan would be doomed to fail. As of late, games on holiday breaks are notoriously poorly attended. You had to have known the students and band would not be in attendance; there goes most of our atmosphere right there. You jack up the ticket prices - yeah bad on Gopher fans for obviously not caring enough about the game to buy them but you probably don’t care because you knew the und fans would be more than willing to pay to see this rivalry. You created an atmosphere that essentially turned Mariucci into a loud sea of green and took away our home ice advantage. But hey, those hawk fans sure like to drink so I’m sure you appreciated the bump in beer sales.
I’d guess the UMN Athletics Deartment wanted to make some money and saw an opportunity to do so?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Norm » Sun Dec 01 10:55 am

Melvin wrote:
Sun Dec 01 10:44 am
Cowgirl wrote:

The athletic department completely missed the mark on this series. You invite our biggest rival, the team with the most passionate fan base who travel insanely well (and have many who live here), and you do this on a holiday. Clearly you are out of touch as most of us die hard fans could have readily told you why this plan would be doomed to fail. As of late, games on holiday breaks are notoriously poorly attended. You had to have known the students and band would not be in attendance; there goes most of our atmosphere right there. You jack up the ticket prices - yeah bad on Gopher fans for obviously not caring enough about the game to buy them but you probably don’t care because you knew the und fans would be more than willing to pay to see this rivalry. You created an atmosphere that essentially turned Mariucci into a loud sea of green and took away our home ice advantage. But hey, those hawk fans sure like to drink so I’m sure you appreciated the bump in beer sales.
I’d guess the UMN Athletics Deartment wanted to make some money and saw an opportunity to do so?
AD is probably looking into making this an annual Thanksgiving tradition.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by F Da Sue » Sun Dec 01 11:10 am

Melvin wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

It's only going to get worse. Minnesota will continue to schedule UND while less and less Gopher fans attend the games. I went to the games this weekend and have no plans of ever seeing another UND game at Mariucci.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden

Post by F Da Sue » Sun Dec 01 11:13 am

Whioux Suck wrote:
Sat Nov 30 12:19 pm
Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sat Nov 30 2:23 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Nov 30 12:56 am
I want to see where this program is in 2 years - when the nearly 15+ total Fr. and So. are Jr. and Sr., along with what looks like some very solid recruits coming in.
;)
Yeah, our rivals don’t care how well we are progressing or where our program will be in 2-3 years. They’re just happy to embarrass us in our own building.

Also with that, I was promised a great team 5 years ago when Sheehy, Novak, Gates and that whole group came in and played as freshmen. One first round loss and three missed tournaments later, I’m still waiting.
Keep that carrot in front of the donkey. If I had a dollar for every time we've been told that we just needed to get older......

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 01 11:30 am

So, we complain that we don’t play the WCHA teams anymore, then we complain that we DO play one of the biggest rivals from that league.

The athletic Dept. can’t win. I was at the Friday game. Do you know where a ton of UND fans were? In sections 24, 1, and 2. The supposedly well priced and popular season ticket sections with no donation. So, our fans sold their seats to UND fans apparently.

And who cares if it was a holiday, I’m pretty sure Thanksgiving is not a state holiday.

I’m sure everyone will bitch about the classic and the fact there are too many opposing fans there too and we shouldn’t schedule any local teams. . Funny we didn’t bitch about that in the WCHA.

They’re trying. And it’s evident. Coyle stopped and in some cases reversed ridiculous price increases in the revenue sports planned before he arrived. We’ve done everything we can to upgrade facilities for all sports including non-revenue sports.

I don’t think the athletic department is causing harm.
Last edited by JWG on Tue Dec 03 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 01 11:39 am

JWG wrote:
Sun Dec 01 11:30 am
So, we complain that we don’t play the WCHA teams anymore, then we complain that we DO play one of the biggest rivals from that league.

The athletic Dept. can’t win. I was at the Friday game. Do you know where a ton of UND fans were? In sections 24, 1, and 2. The supposedly well priced and popular season ticket sections with no donation. So, our fans sold their seats to UND fans apparently.

And who cares if it was a holiday, I’m pretty sure Thanksgiving is not a state holiday.

I’m sure everyone will bitch about the classic and the fact their are too many opposing fans there too and we shouldn’t schedule any local teams. . Funny we didn’t bitch about that in the WCHA.

They’re trying. And it’s evident. Coyle stopped and in some cases reversed ridiculous price increases in the revenue sports planned before he arrived. We’ve done everything we can to upgrade facilities for all sports including non-revenue sports.

I don’t think the athletic department is causing harm.
Most of the seats in those sections are usually empty. It’s not that the STH there sold their tickets (yes I’m sure a few did) - it’s that our fans still thought those “cheap” seats were still too high of a price point, even for a game against a hated rival. Gopher fans didn’t buy them, so und fans did.

I still believe there is room for improvement in the pricing structure to get fans and students in the arena. But at this point, like what has happened with the football program it is probably going to take a lot more consistent winning, and some shiny new banners to renew interest and get fans back in the building.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Dec 01 11:51 am

I'm all for scheduling und, saint cloud, etc etc. But do it on a weekend where there isnt a holiday happening. Schedule the Niagras and Northeasterns on thanksgiving weekend. I also know too that there are schedule conflicts and that it isnt as easy as I just said, but theres gotta be some ways to make it work

Melvin
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Melvin » Sun Dec 01 11:53 am

Norm wrote:
Sun Dec 01 10:55 am
Melvin wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

It would be great to make it a yearly tradition.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Dec 01 12:43 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
BTW, i watched a Sue fan go through 12 Nordeast cans last night. I love me some Nordeast, but not a 12 pack of tallboys in one game that costs as much as buying about a quarter of a pallet of the stuff. I said to the lady sitting next to me, Wisconsin folks drink excessively because they are bored, North Dakota fans drink that much because they have to try and deal with the pain of being from North Dakota.
That’s over a days worth of calories solely from beer lol. Can’t even imagine drinking that much beer anymore.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Dec 01 1:22 pm

Funny reading these comments. Focus isn’t on the game but on Motzko’s clothes, athletic dept, fans, ice size. Might just be reflecting the sad state of hockey when we don’t get near 50% in the stands. Understandable though. I’d say it’s fair to give Motzko 3 years, but it won’t matter cuz in 2 years the program will be a contender and playoff bound. There is credence to bringing in non Minnesota kids, many want to come here and don’t get a look and the team would be better (ediNA, cough).
And the fire Bob talk is off base, be glad he’s here trying to resuscitate the patient.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Dec 01 1:49 pm

No one is saying fire Bob except that one guy a few weeks ago I'm pretty sure.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
107* big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

*Includes 19-20 NBA and 19-20 NHL seasons

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 01 1:51 pm

Melvin wrote:
Sun Dec 01 11:53 am
Norm wrote:
Sun Dec 01 10:55 am
Melvin wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

It would be great to make it a yearly tradition.
I hope not - my family would hate us if we never came for thanksgiving!

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by D2D » Sun Dec 01 2:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 01 1:51 pm
Our family celebrates Thanksgiving in the afternoon, so it was easy getting to the game on time. But should the athletic department ever schedule a game on Christmas, now that would be a problem. ;)
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 01 2:53 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Dec 01 2:14 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 01 1:51 pm
Our family celebrates Thanksgiving in the afternoon, so it was easy getting to the game on time. But should the athletic department ever schedule a game on Christmas, now that would be a problem. ;)

We have missed a few thanksgivings in recent years - some traveling to see the Gophers play. Yes, we are those a-hole kids who choose Gopher Hockey over spending time with our families. 😆

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Dec 01 2:53 pm

Bob doesn’t need to go but I don’t see much evidence that he’s coaching the team up, especially on the PP where the deployments and overall puck movement have been awful this year. Obviously he has to work through Lucia’s mess for now and they lost all their center depth and PP unit from a year ago so it’s not an enviable position to be in at the moment but there are some valid critiques to be had with what we’ve seen thus far and the team isn’t exceeding my relatively low expectations for this season.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

wincav
Rookie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by wincav » Sun Dec 01 4:57 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 01 12:43 am
gopherfun83 wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:
I was surrounded by UND fans both games. Most of them smelled like they had been bathing in beer. This was the worst fan experience I have ever had at a Gophers game, including away games.
You must not have yet attended a game in grand forks wearing Gopher apparel. As uncomfortable as it was in Mariucci Thursday and Friday night, it pales in comparison to being at the ralph. I refuse to ever go back there.
OMG! My brother & I were in Grand Forks a few years back and were treated like dirt. Not just from the drunk students but from grown adults. The insults and crude rude language was shocking.
I will never go back either. Been to other arenas and most people are decent. The Whioux fans are real pieces of $h!t!

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Dec 01 5:09 pm

Yeah it’s a terrible place. We’d be walking on a sidewalk at lunchtime and have cars slow down to scream obscenities at us.

grothm01
Rookie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by grothm01 » Sun Dec 01 5:22 pm

It's not just fans, at ND. The one time I went up there, I saw all the ND fans around me drinking beer, so I go get one come back to my seat and get chased out by security - said drinking was not allowed in that section.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Dec 01 6:03 pm

I guarantee every Hawk fan who reads these experiences is proud of them. That's what gives them their attitude and home ice advantage. Pi$$ off the opposing fans so they don't want to ever see a road game there.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Dec 01 6:38 pm

Great, then they build the reputation of being assholes and that carries over to life outside the rink as well.

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Composer » Sun Dec 01 7:04 pm

I attended a couple games at UND with one of the biggest targets on my back. I was in a relatively protected area for my seats, but didn't get any harassment walking through the concourses. (I did try to walk in a manner to minimize my exposure) Mostly I just think I got lucky. (I did get a visit from the ushers. I was taking photos, but they thought I was taking video) The only places I get harassed were Mankato and at the final 5 one year.

Dash8

Post by Dash8 » Wed Dec 04 8:13 am

Reminds me of the final five in 2006 we just beat St. Cloud and a bunch of drunk gopher fans who’d been drinking since the loss to Wisconsin started banging on the band bus as we were loading up to go back to the hotel.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden

Post by F Da Sue » Wed Dec 04 12:27 pm

Dash8 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 8:13 am
Reminds me of the final five in 2006 we just beat St. Cloud and a bunch of drunk gopher fans who’d been drinking since the loss to Wisconsin started banging on the band bus as we were loading up to go back to the hotel.
I hope everyone made it out alive.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Dec 05 5:45 pm

Back when we played the CHS vs mich/mich st on thanksgiving weekend the place was jumping...now we play them every year and no one goes...and the home playoff series last year vs Michigan was embarrassing

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 126 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Dec 06 7:25 am

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Dec 05 5:45 pm
Back when we played the CHS vs mich/mich st on thanksgiving weekend the place was jumping...now we play them every year and no one goes...and the home playoff series last year vs Michigan was embarrassing
I don’t remember it that way. I remember the same complaints about the students not being there and everyone else out of town due to the holiday.

Also, time to lock this one up.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Dec 06 8:20 am

When they played at the STCC during the '94-'95 season both games (according to Gopher Hockey History at least) drew 15k+. '98-'99 at Mecca 9,500+ for both games and the same for '00-'01. For '02-'03, '04-'05 and '06-'07 there were 10k+, '08-'09 was 9,900+ for both, and finally '10-'11 had 9,200 and 9,700.

*That could be tickets sold.
Currently under construction.

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Fri Dec 06 9:18 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 01 12:43 am
gopherfun83 wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:
Went to The Puke 2 years ago. Besides numerous boos and jeers toward my fiance and myself for wearing maroon and gold, we had the distinct pleasure of...
1.) Drunk 65 year old man screaming "GOPHERS SUCK!" in my fiances face at the concession stand. Never thought I'd have to tell a guy older than my dad to grow up.
2.) Two 40-45 year old women loudly screaming obscenities at my fiance walking into the gate.
3.) An entire frat standing on their front lawn yelling obscenities at Gopher fans walking into the game. I did the Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels poses to rile them up. When the head frathead in charge confronted me I told him to back to butt f*** his brothers.

Nasty people

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 126 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Dec 06 4:35 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Dec 06 8:20 am
When they played at the STCC during the '94-'95 season both games (according to Gopher Hockey History at least) drew 15k+. '98-'99 at Mecca 9,500+ for both games and the same for '00-'01. For '02-'03, '04-'05 and '06-'07 there were 10k+, '08-'09 was 9,900+ for both, and finally '10-'11 had 9,200 and 9,700.

*That could be tickets sold.
Interesting. I wonder what gate was because I distinctly remember complaints about the holiday tournament. Could have been the old Dodge Holiday Classic too.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Dec 06 4:54 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Fri Dec 06 7:25 am
Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Dec 05 5:45 pm
I don’t remember it that way. I remember the same complaints about the students not being there and everyone else out of town due to the holiday.

Also, time to lock this one up.
Needs more :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri Dec 06 4:56 pm

Lock this up 🤬