Gophers vs. hawks. Thanksgiving showdown

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Gophers vs. hawks. Thanksgiving showdown

Post by streakygopher » Thu Nov 28 10:16 pm

Apathy overtaking me now. Dark days of Gopher hockey....

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 10:18 pm

The way I look at it, the StL Blues went from last place to Cup champions in HALF a season. If they get THAT sorta click, I think we can do it for next year. Call it blind faith, call it being a romantic, I don't care. I didn't expect much of anything this year. I expect a little next year. I expect a little more after that.

"But that's the NHL" you say....well, it is, but same playing field here. Same basic level of talent. Let's do this thing!
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Thu Nov 28 10:19 pm

what lesson how not to show up

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Nov 28 10:25 pm

Here was my response in the comment section of the survey:

The athletic department completely missed the mark on this series. You invite our biggest rival, the team with the most passionate fan base who travel insanely well (and have many who live here), and you do this on a holiday. Clearly you are out of touch as most of us die hard fans could have readily told you why this plan would be doomed to fail. As of late, games on holiday breaks are notoriously poorly attended. You had to have known the students and band would not be in attendance; there goes most of our atmosphere right there. You jack up the ticket prices - yeah bad on Gopher fans for obviously not caring enough about the game to buy them but you probably don’t care because you knew the und fans would be more than willing to pay to see this rivalry. You created an atmosphere that essentially turned Mariucci into a loud sea of green and took away our home ice advantage. But hey, those hawk fans sure like to drink so I’m sure you appreciated the bump in beer sales.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 10:30 pm

Follow the dollar. And Gopher hockey is.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Thu Nov 28 10:36 pm

I left early. Terrible.

And shame on the AD. Why aren’t we playing Sunday? I know they can’t control STH showing up but to have no band and no students (which was obvious being an actual holiday) is a sham

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by thinkbui » Thu Nov 28 10:36 pm

Can't think of a better way of describing tonight than that it was like watching someone die in slow motion. What makes it sting more is that I missed the last couple of Fridays to rest up after having had bronchitis and we let ourselves get kicked in the teeth the next "Friday" that I do make it. (On that note, apologies for hacking up a lung in the vicinity of anyone here even though I'm not contagious anymore.)

It probably wouldn't have made a difference in the final outcome, but why did it take so long to pull LaFontaine? It was pretty clear after UND's third goal that our defense was flippin' porous and that was the ideal time to ram that message home. Yeah I know that Moe went on to be scored on 4 times, but by the time he was put in, such a move had pretty much lost its effectiveness.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Nov 28 10:38 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:36 pm
I left early. Terrible.

And shame on the AD. Why aren’t we playing Sunday? I know they can’t control STH showing up but to have no band and no students (which was obvious being an actual holiday) is a sham
Neither team was willing to play Sunday. Or so I’ve heard.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by Jupiter » Thu Nov 28 10:40 pm

WHAT IN THE F WAS THAT?!?!

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Nov 28 10:43 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:40 pm
a) Curb Stomp
b) Beat Down
c) Ass Whuppin'
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

stauber1
Rookie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by stauber1 » Thu Nov 28 10:45 pm

Hey, we scored more goals than I was expecting

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Nov 28 10:47 pm

A good old fashion butt whooping. I would be nice if someone would have laid a Whioux player on their backside. I would much rather take a penalty with a rocking hit than have them run circles around the Gophers. Nanne was a -4 and makes Mark Alt look like Bobby Orr

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 10:48 pm

Jupiter wrote:
It is what it is. /mafiaspeak

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Nov 28 10:52 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Nov 28 9:05 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Nov 28 9:03 pm
Playing on that GIGANTIC ice sheet isn’t helpful when you’re playing a faster, more skilled team. And it kills you come NCAA tourney time when you need to then adjust to playing on an NHL sized rink. Reducing the size of Mariucci can’t happen soon enough, it needs to be a priority of U of MN administration!
How about just get a faster skilled team? You know, like they used to be able to get. Or are we recruiting at AIC levels now?
It’s frustrating and yes, watching that game it was obvious that UND can just skate circles around us. Bob can tout how this team has size or whatever but it really doesn’t matter when they constantly lose puck races and can’t catch up defensively or create enough separation offensively.

And some of those years we might as well have recruited like AIC with some of the people that got brought in on the blue line and for depth roles.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Thu Nov 28 10:56 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:43 pm
Jupiter wrote:
a) Curb Stomp
b) Beat Down
c) Ass Whuppin'
All of the above :anger: :anger: :mrgreen:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 10:58 pm

Thought better of it, deleted.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Nov 28 11:00 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever said this before, but I’m not particularly excited about tomorrow’s game. There will be soooo much green, and while stranger things have happened I don’t expect us to magically figure out how to be better overnight.

I will still be there, wearing all the maroon and gold I can find. I bet the expected storm won’t keep the hawk fans away, but I’m willing to bet that will be the excuse for more Gopher fans to not show up. Tomorrow is not a holiday, so they need another excuse.

Sorry to be so bitter. I absolutely hate their fan base and am overjoyed to know the same drunks near us tonight that spent the entire game yelling at the goalies (they were very infatuated with LaFontaines mustache) will be there again tomorrow.

It’s a very low point for Gopher Hockey and I feel like the AD doesn’t really get it.

But hey, if we can muster a win I’m sure we’ll all sing a different tune tomorrow.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Nov 28 11:01 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:58 pm
Yeah
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 11:06 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Nov 28 11:01 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:58 pm
Yeah
What I had up, I could reference in private convo, but not public. It was an accurate reference, but not a socially acceptable one (note: I am NOT the villian's side in that clip; I detest him)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bergy
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Bergy » Thu Nov 28 11:18 pm

We are in town this weekend for a squirt tournament. I called the gopher ticket office to find out about pricing for 30-40 people for Friday nights game. I knew it was the Sue, but thought they’d have some sort of special pricing for group tickets. The best they could offer was $75/ticket. They could waive the extra ticket fees, but that was it. I then called SCSU ticket department for same scenario when SCSU plays UMD. Kids are free and adults are $15. Which game do you think we’ll go to as a team? In turn, which team will those kids then associate with liking?

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Thu Nov 28 11:21 pm

Bergy wrote:
Thu Nov 28 11:18 pm
We are in town this weekend for a squirt tournament. I called the gopher ticket office to find out about pricing for 30-40 people for Friday nights game. I knew it was the Sue, but thought they’d have some sort of special pricing for group tickets. The best they could offer was $75/ticket. They could waive the extra ticket fees, but that was it. I then called SCSU ticket department for same scenario when SCSU plays UMD. Kids are free and adults are $15. Which game do you think we’ll go to as a team? In turn, which team will those kids then associate with liking?
Rensselaer
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

MNposterChild
Rookie

Post by MNposterChild » Fri Nov 29 12:01 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Nov 28 11:00 pm
I don’t know if I’ve ever said this before, but I’m not particularly excited about tomorrow’s game. There will be soooo much green, and while stranger things have happened I don’t expect us to magically figure out how to be better overnight.

I will still be there, wearing all the maroon and gold I can find. I bet the expected storm won’t keep the hawk fans away, but I’m willing to bet that will be the excuse for more Gopher fans to not show up. Tomorrow is not a holiday, so they need another excuse.

Sorry to be so bitter. I absolutely hate their fan base and am overjoyed to know the same drunks near us tonight that spent the entire game yelling at the goalies (they were very infatuated with LaFontaines mustache) will be there again tomorrow.

It’s a very low point for Gopher Hockey and I feel like the AD doesn’t really get it.

But hey, if we can muster a win I’m sure we’ll all sing a different tune tomorrow.
That’s what happens when you have a bunch of trash in a flat Red River Valley that frequently floods—water trash.
I feel for you

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Nov 29 12:11 am

If we had defense we would be better. And then more effort, pride, grit, tenacity, and teamwork. Lines aren’t jelled or playing like they know where the play is going or where their line mates will be. Individuals trying to do it by themselves, which happens when desperation sets in. Tomorrow should be better. A win would be awesome, would be nice to send green jerseys home in a storm with a loss.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Nov 29 12:14 am

Gopher Family wrote:
Thu Nov 28 7:21 pm
Tonight will be the first time I reply to the U of M survey after the game. There is zero support by the administration for this team. The administration should be working to fill every seat with Minnesota fans every night not try to maximize revenue. My daughter went to Gonzaga, their home basketball games reserve half of the lower bowl for students for free even though they could easily sell the seats. It makes McCarthey one of the best atmospheres for basketball anywhere. Compare and contrast, a fan crazed arena versus a third empty Mariucci. This place should be rocking and it is full of F'n Hawk fans.... :evil: :evil:
The one thing here against this narrative is they've basically tried to double sell the student section and sell $5 single game seats to the students. I think about 2700 $99 season tickets have been sold for 1700 seats. They just aren't interested in creating the atmosphere.

They've tried to do a geolocating phone app to reward students for attending and staying until the end.

I know some schools for hoops give away prime seats to students, but not sure that would solve this issue and doing that would blow a hole in revenue because seats between the blue lines are 90% sold to season ticket holders.

Even free seats wouldn't solve this problem.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Nov 29 12:16 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
I left early. Terrible.

UND didn't want to play on Wed-Fri... Motzko also didn't want to play Fri-Sun with having to travel to Ohio State the next week either.... tried something different.

I can't figure a solution to the band problem, other than don't require marching band to be hockey band.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Nov 29 12:23 am

Vegoe wrote:
Fri Nov 29 12:16 am
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
I left early. Terrible.

UND didn't want to play on Wed-Fri... Motzko also didn't want to play Fri-Sun with having to travel to Ohio State the next week either.... tried something different.

I can't figure a solution to the band problem, other than don't require marching band to be hockey band.
The band wouldn’t have been here regardless of football because of the holiday.
Tomorrow night they can’t due to an extra late practice but at least the alumni band was given more of a heads up so they should be there.
A pep band not made up of the marching band kids wouldn’t be the same.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Nov 29 12:24 am

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Nov 29 1:11 am

I had a lot of concerns about the depth of this team, especially at center, and the fact that they just weren’t going to turn over enough of the roster this year. Unfortunately you have some of the usual culprits on the blue line f*** up constantly and the new ones are green and need more time before they can be relied on to save the day. And of the new forwards, Meyers is the only one that really looks competent in a top 6 role. There’s just too many holes in the roster and it’s pretty much impossible to compete against the top teams when Reedy is one of your top center options.

Also why do we have a guy who is basically a seventh defender heading an awful PP unit that can’t enter the zone? There’s no reason Stucker should be heading that unit it makes zero sense.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 29 1:52 am

Why couldn't they have scheduled for Saturday? I know football, but they've never done both on the same day? Aren't football start times flexible in that the 230 start time wasn't set until recently right? Start the hockey game.at 8? Nothing ideal but better than on Thanksgiving.
Currently under construction.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Nov 29 2:15 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Nov 29 1:52 am
Why couldn't they have scheduled for Saturday? I know football, but they've never done both on the same day? Aren't football start times flexible in that the 230 start time wasn't set until recently right? Start the hockey game.at 8? Nothing ideal but better than on Thanksgiving.
If there was a hockey game Saturday and the football game ended up being a 7pm game, there’d still be no students or band and also no parking. It would be difficult to have those sports overlap.
There was one double header the year the stadium opened but I can’t recall if there has been one since.

I would have been fine just skipping a series this weekend and plugging it in somewhere else.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by thinkbui » Fri Nov 29 2:40 am

I think it happened once or twice while the Vikings were using TCF Bank Stadium leaving little choice but to have Gopher Football and Hockey on the same day, but I believe the Gopher Football game was 11AM or some time early enough for parking to clear out before Gopher Hockey fans got there. Not sure how much control the U has over kickoff time though since it's apparently much more heavily tied to TV coverage than puck drop time is.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Nov 29 3:49 am

Well, a few things:

1. That game was awful. Especially in a house of 20 people where my wife and I were the only Gopher fans.

2. Can we drop the whole “Whioux” schtick? It’s never been funny and to be 100% honest, calling them Hawks pisses them off more than anything.

3. Blaming the Big 10 gets old too. That isn’t the reason Gophers have been bigly inconsistent at hockey the last 7-8 years.

4. No one was bitching about the Thanksgiving game yesterday morning, don’t bitch about it because we got shellacked in our own barn and no one showed up.

5. Speaking of attendance, UND fans paid what Gopher fans would have had to pay, price isn’t the issue, the product on the ice is.

I am just worn out being a Gopher hockey fan. Call me fair-weather or whatever you want, but constantly making excuses for a team that the administration doesn’t seem to care about is just exhausting.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Fri Nov 29 5:08 am

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Nov 28 8:03 pm
Let's keep them under 10, boys
Mission accomplished

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Nov 29 6:31 am

Bergy wrote:
Thu Nov 28 11:18 pm
If 30-40 tickets were even available in a block...what does that tell us? They priced the tickets at $85 to sell them to Fricken Hawk fans. It’s like something out of Casino where Nicky explains that it’s all about the dollars 💵 and the administration will justify whatever decisions they make based on the 💵 pathetically sad that the couldn’t at least offered a 30-40 group rate of say $50 a ticket, especially for a youth team & their parents. But again, gotta have $85 tickets available for Fricken Hawk fans🙄

Gopher Family
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Family » Fri Nov 29 7:19 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:25 pm
Here was my response in the comment section of the survey:

The athletic department completely missed the mark on this series. You invite our biggest rival, the team with the most passionate fan base who travel insanely well (and have many who live here), and you do this on a holiday. Clearly you are out of touch as most of us die hard fans could have readily told you why this plan would be doomed to fail. As of late, games on holiday breaks are notoriously poorly attended. You had to have known the students and band would not be in attendance; there goes most of our atmosphere right there. You jack up the ticket prices - yeah bad on Gopher fans for obviously not caring enough about the game to buy them but you probably don’t care because you knew the und fans would be more than willing to pay to see this rivalry. You created an atmosphere that essentially turned Mariucci into a loud sea of green and took away our home ice advantage. But hey, those hawk fans sure like to drink so I’m sure you appreciated the bump in beer sales.
Here's my response ...
Long time Gopher fan here. My first date with my wife was at a Gopher Hockey game thirty years ago. The first word my daughter could spell was M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A from my shoulders after the rouser. Every year we go to as many games as possible, frozen fours, watch on TV and seven year ago finally purchased season tickets. I am utterly disappointed with this Athletic Department’s support of this team to the point that next year’s season ticket purchase is uncertain.

My issue is not with the coach, or players or hockey style, it is that the Athletic Department is trying to maximize revenue and not support the team. With the price you are charging, the fans clearly have said it’s too expensive. If you want to support this team, fill the barn with free tickets and both the team and fans will appreciate it. Last night you tried to maximize revenue and all it did was leave me and many other fans seething.

I would like to contrast your strategy with that of Gonzaga. My daughter attended Gonzaga as a student athlete. They have an eight thousand seat arena for basketball and they give students almost 2,000 of the best seats for FREE every game. The atmosphere there is electric and it has helped propel the team to perpetual NCAA tournaments for the past 20 years. Your strategy appears to attempt to sell expensive seats and you are thereby willing to accept thousands of unfilled seats every game in a gambit that results in higher revenue.

If you do not change course you will be able to repurpose Marucci and move the team to Ridder, and I am not kidding. Your #1 priority should be to fill the barn every night with rabid Gopher fans and the revenue will follow. The current strategy results in a half-filled barn with more F’n Hawk fans than Minnesota fans.

You have one of the best business schools in the nation, I’m sure they would gladly help formulate and implement ideas that could fill the barn AND increase revenue. I understand that you dropped some ticket prices, but they are clearly still significantly overpriced. You need to take action this year if you want the return of Pride On Ice and this Gopher fan.

Sincerely,
Michael Yates

Gopher Family
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Family » Fri Nov 29 7:31 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Nov 28 10:18 pm
The way I look at it, the StL Blues went from last place to Cup champions in HALF a season. If they get THAT sorta click, I think we can do it for next year. Call it blind faith, call it being a romantic, I don't care. I didn't expect much of anything this year. I expect a little next year. I expect a little more after that.

"But that's the NHL" you say....well, it is, but same playing field here. Same basic level of talent. Let's do this thing!
I agree, this team has talent and still needs to be learn how to win. Our skill level and size is the best it's been in a number of years. They need learn, adapt and grow together as a team.

Gopher99
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Nov 29 7:39 am

We got pasted 9-3 by North Dakota and we're harping on the band and the administration. What a time to be alive.

I totally understand how the Athletic Department has failed the hockey program in so (accent on the so) many ways, but the product on the ice the last 3-4 seasons has been abysmal, especially relative to the rest of the in-state programs.

Whoever mentioned it earlier is totally on point IMO - Gopher hockey seems to be in apathetic territory for many right now.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Nov 29 7:51 am

Since I wasn't at the game I'm not going to add to the dogpile that is going on already. I am glad that no one...at least that Jup has let through anyway, complained about Bob or blaming this loss on Bob. Ben Gordon's interview at the end of the second intermission kind of says where the state of mind of the coaching staff was during the game, I think he pulled all of his punches for that interview.

I do place this loss all on the players, they were awful. They displayed about every adjective you can think of when you describe bad hockey play...synchronized standing, reaching instead of skating, pulling up on hits, gliding around, leaving your goalie on an island, dumb passes....all of them, and just plain sucky hockey. You couldn't even say they played like a team of individuals, they were just skating around. Most of the time it seemed like they didn't know where each other were or were going. As for the Hawks they were the complete opposite, they could read each others minds and someone was always there to support the other to pass the puck to.

I hope they spend some time on breaking down the PK today as well because it needs to be pointed out that the Hawks always has someone at the back door and was never covered last night. You could pin that gaff on every defenseman that touched the ice last night for not covering that back door.

The Hawks are a good team and they have improved since I saw they play against the Mavs a month ago here in Mankato. But I would place the bulk of the blame for the loss on the lack of on ice chemistry of the Gophers right now. We all get that this team is young and there is a lot of maturing happening on the fly so there are going to be a lot of bumps on this road. Last night wasn't just a bump...it was more like a Minnesota springtime pothole. I expect to see a much better effort tonight but the same result with a closer score than 9-3. 5-3 Hawks sweep the series.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 29 7:56 am

I realize this not a realistic expectation, but wasn't there a series many moons ago in which the Gophers were pasted by UND Friday night and nearly reversed the result the next night?
Currently under construction.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Fri Nov 29 8:39 am

I am a long time fan here... I have seen the worst (1971-1972) and also the best (2002-2003) of this team. I have read all the posts in this thread...

What the h*ll is going on? :shock: I bleed maroon & gold, I can only afford to go to a few games each year although I was a season ticket holder for over 25 years. I won tickets for Friday's (today) game and I was really excited. I watched the game last night at home after I went to a great Turkey day feast and I couldn't believe the debacle! After the 8th Hawks goal I turned the game OFF. I almost never do that. :cry:

I WILL BE there tonight, even if my friend does not want to go. I have arranged to meet up with my old section 17 friends as they are missing me and my LOUD voice!!! I do hope I have something to yell & cheer about. I am not happy what is happening to this program. The players, coaches and administrators need to care about this team MORE than they do. The ticket prices are out of control and need to be revised for ALL. :M:

QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Nov 29 8:55 am

It will be interesting if there will be any lineup changes tonight. Does tBob put in Munson or Rossini in like he did for game 2 of Penn St? Does Bickel have any eligibility left? :mrgreen: The youth of this team really showed last night, as the Gophers looked scared on the ice and were falling down all over. I know some will roll their eyes at this, but last night would have been one of the few times that the Gophers miss Ramsey, Romenko and Gates. They would at least provide some grit and put a body on someone. Not once did I see a solid hit in the corner while retrieving the puck.

I just hope tonight will not be another blood bath. There will be more Whioux fans in the building tonight, and the biggest difference between the 2 fan bases is that they are loud and united. They have chips on their shoulders and swagger. You have to respect that. The crowd may be 50-50, but it sounds like 75-25 Whioux. I just hope the Whioux don't go to center ice and salute the crowd after tonights game. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts....

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 29 9:08 am

The ticket site shows very few unsold seats for tonight, so at least there's that.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Nov 29 9:10 am

Apparently all we have to do is fix the rink size. Who knew?
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 9:26 am

Norm wrote:
Fri Nov 29 9:08 am
The ticket site shows very few unsold seats for tonight, so at least there's that.
To more Whioux fans..
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 29 9:26 am

I blame Steph(‘s absence).

junti
Rookie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by junti » Fri Nov 29 9:39 am

Don't d*ck with the puck. Stop passing the puck like its an egg. Get some rubber on the sieve. Show a little f'ing fight tonight.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Nov 29 9:46 am

:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Nov 29 9:10 am
Apparently all we have to do is fix the rink size. Who knew?
lol :wink:

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Nov 29 9:55 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Nov 29 8:55 am
It will be interesting if there will be any lineup changes tonight. Does tBob put in Munson or Rossini in like he did for game 2 of Penn St? Does Bickel have any eligibility left? :mrgreen: The youth of this team really showed last night, as the Gophers looked scared on the ice and were falling down all over. I know some will roll their eyes at this, but last night would have been one of the few times that the Gophers miss Ramsey, Romenko and Gates. They would at least provide some grit and put a body on someone. Not once did I see a solid hit in the corner while retrieving the puck.

I just hope tonight will not be another blood bath. There will be more Whioux fans in the building tonight, and the biggest difference between the 2 fan bases is that they are loud and united. They have chips on their shoulders and swagger. You have to respect that. The crowd may be 50-50, but it sounds like 75-25 Whioux. I just hope the Whioux don't go to center ice and salute the crowd after tonights game. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts....
One thing is for certain the Whioux aren’t coming into tonight feeling good about last. They want a sweep and they don’t just want a sweep they want to run us out of the building.

Make no mistake about Berry, Jackson and Georing all national champs, all alum will have them wanting to settle for nothing less then destroying us.

On the other side who knows what Motzko and his little bunch of giving coaching a shot assistants can even try to do.

Good luck, going to need lots of it.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Fri Nov 29 10:03 am

frozen4champs wrote:
I just hope the Whioux don't go to center ice and salute the crowd after tonights game. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts....
If the Fighting S*oux sweep the series I hope they do try a center ice stick salute. If they do that and it doesn't ignite a full on brawl you might as well stick a fork in the Gophers, they're done.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 10:26 am

Even if there is a brawl you know the Gophers will get stomped cuz they're still so soft overall
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 29 10:30 am

So how much more rope do we give Motzko before his seat gets warm? Not saying we should fire him, just asking what the tolerance threshold is. If we finish ____ in the B1G standings or ______, then ________.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Nov 29 10:34 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Fri Nov 29 10:30 am
So how much more rope do we give Motzko before his seat gets warm? Not saying we should fire him, just asking what the tolerance threshold is. If we finish ____ in the B1G standings or ______, then ________.
3 more years. If nothing happens by then fire him. Until then, nothing to complain about. I wonder what the hell Lucia was doing while he was here the last few seasons.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Fri Nov 29 10:37 am

Yeah I really think Lucia and his recruiting screwed the pooch here. I think prices are outrageous and the atmosphere sucks, but they also need a competitive team.
I care more about football. It’s so fun because they’re winning. But it’s also fun to go because there are actual people in the stands who want to be there and i can’t remember what year hockey last felt like that.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Fri Nov 29 10:37 am

5 O.T. wrote:
Fri Nov 29 10:03 am
frozen4champs wrote:
I just hope the Whioux don't go to center ice and salute the crowd after tonights game. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts....
If the Fighting S*oux sweep the series I hope they do try a center ice stick salute. If they do that and it doesn't ignite a full on brawl you might as well stick a fork in the Gophers, they're done.
I think they're done anyway. I expect tonight's game will be like the second loss against PSU. There will be the obligatory plucky effort and the inevitable falling short against a faster, more experienced team. That will make two times in a month they get swept out of their own building by ranked teams.

There is almost no chance of this hollowed out team making the post season this year. Fan interest will fall off a cliff, and the game time experience will equate to a pee wee game at the X - only the parents will show up.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Nov 29 10:38 am

To me the assistants seats will warm up way before Bob's does. I would have loved to see what Guentzel could have done with this group of defensemen.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 10:39 am

If he doesn't make the tournament next year or the year after, the conversation will be started and warranted and he could be out.
Loserville, USA

Gopher99
Veteran

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Nov 29 10:44 am

I think if you can't show improvement or sustained competitiveness in a 3-year window personally, asking if he's the right guy and evaluating the outlook is warranted. First year is totally an understandable wash. 3 years in this market I think is fair to holistically assess.
Last edited by Gopher99 on Fri Nov 29 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

junti
Rookie

Post by junti » Fri Nov 29 10:44 am

I’m gonna have to see this freshman class get through their careers before I move is made. And honestly once they’re done I believe We will have seen 2+ NCAA appearances.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Nov 29 11:07 am

It’s hard to see how this team will be good in Bob’s fourth year with what we’re seeing currently. He definitely deserves four years and probably a fifth if there’s any sign of improvement in year 4 but after that if we aren’t seeing improvement it’s time to move on.

But yeah, when your upper classmen are Nanne, Z, Reedy, McManus, Marooney and whoever else I’m forgetting, that just shows you why the previous regime needed to be sent packing. I know people think the effort is often dogshit and they aren’t wrong but even when they give a full effort they get outclassed pretty badly by the UND/Duluth/PSU of the world.
Last edited by trixR4kids on Fri Nov 29 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Fri Nov 29 11:13 am

The conversation about starting the conversation has already started. :lol: If they can't find someone to skate with and matchup with the Mishmash line and take another beatdown tonight there will be more conversation. There are losses and there are demoralizing losses last night was demoralizing for the team and fans. Hopefully they can make a game of it tonight and come away with a split. Go Gophers!!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 1:10 pm

Well it's the next day and I'm still disgusted and not gonna go down there and be surrounded by Whioux fans that smell like booze. Talk about disheartening the series fans look forward to and in one night you make people not want to show up the next.
Loserville, USA

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Nov 29 1:19 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 10:39 am
If he doesn't make the tournament next year or the year after, the conversation will be started and warranted and he could be out.
Especially with Potulny doing some nice things at Northern.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Nov 29 1:21 pm

I would expect a better effort tonight. If not I would start looking at the coaches.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 1:25 pm

Unfortunately as others have mentioned it will take more than a better effort to beat a much better team, as we saw against PSU.

I'd predict if the Gophers somehow win the goalie made 35+ saves and UND was held to 3 or fewer with the Gophers converting at least one PP and the Whioux getting four or fewer PPs. It'll be an uphill battle.
Loserville, USA

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri Nov 29 1:46 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 9:26 am
Norm wrote:
To more Whioux fans..
I guess when your third in the country you will have a good following

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri Nov 29 1:48 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
bring on GUENTZEL

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 29 2:06 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 1:48 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
bring on GUENTZEL
I don’t think another boomer pushing 60 will solve our problems. No offense to the multitude of Boomers visiting this website.

Go. With. Youth.

Herb Brooks was 35 when he took over as coach at the U. Potulny is already 39. Give him the friggin keys already.

Gopher99
Veteran

Post by Gopher99 » Fri Nov 29 2:36 pm

Not to be a devil's advocate, but if they were planning on giving him the keys don't you think he would have been the coach picked when Don retired?

FargoGopher7
Golden
Golden

Post by FargoGopher7 » Fri Nov 29 2:42 pm

Ill be there again tonight. I just hope we show a little more pride then last night and at least give them our best shot. These guys gotta get some hanson in them tonight and play the body!

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Nov 29 2:56 pm

Youth is fine but Grant hasn’t proven nearly enough to get the keys to this program.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Nov 29 3:06 pm

Is there really that much panache here? Did you see the arena last night?

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Nov 29 3:08 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 1:46 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 9:26 am
Norm wrote:
To more Whioux fans..
I guess when your third in the country you will have a good following
They will have a nice drive home tomorrow. Expecting 15 inches of snow in Grand Forks. Maybe a lot of green at MOA this weekend.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 29 3:18 pm

Gopher99 wrote:
Fri Nov 29 2:36 pm
Not to be a devil's advocate, but if they were planning on giving him the keys don't you think he would have been the coach picked when Don retired?
If “they” = “Nanne”, then the decision proves he’s just human who is capable of making poor decisions from time to time. The Motzko hire would be one of those times.

If it was others as well and not just Nanne, then it was a collective groupthink face plant. We have enough medals for all of “they”.

Fleck has paradoxically made things worse for the hockey team - he’s proven how awesome a program can be with the right leadership at the helm and organizational culture. Maybe Motzko is the guy to replicate the football team’s success, but my hunch is he’s not. Change my mind.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 29 3:20 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Nov 29 2:56 pm
Youth is fine but Grant hasn’t proven nearly enough to get the keys to this program.
Counterpoint: He’s done a helluva lot more than Brooks did before he was given a shot, that’s for darn sure.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 3:21 pm

I have noticed Bob's attitude change already. You can tell his outfits are spendier these days, and maybe he's realizing this is a good gig to have where you don't have to put in as much work.

I'm not writing him off yet. Just something I've noticed.

I advocated for him so I give him at least this year and next to cycle out the pansies and get some real hockey players in here.
Loserville, USA