BADgers this week

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Badddgers this week

Post by Norm » Mon Nov 25 9:20 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Nov 23 9:34 am
sunbone wrote:
Fri Nov 22 9:37 pm
Shocked that the Gophers won against a team with that many high draft picks.
I don’t think Caufield, Miller, or Turcotte are making the team any worse off. Their goaltending on the other hand...
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Nov 22 10:25 pm
As Doug would call him, Santa has 7 points in 7 conference games. Walker and McLaughlin each have 1. They both need to step up. They are disappearing too much because we all know how they can take over a game. Walker especially... If he brings it every shift he'll have at least one or two big shifts every period
the team lacks good skaters as you’ve mentioned.
Not a good trait in a Division I hockey team.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: BADgers this week

Post by Vegoe » Mon Nov 25 9:26 am

Composer wrote:
Mon Nov 25 7:38 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:47 pm
george wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:37 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 23 7:58 pm
Yeah no band sucks...but I am again impressed by the students!
Band is at Northrop for indoor concert. Should coordinate better or have alumni.
They tried. 8 people signed up.
Unfortunately, they didn't send out the information until last Thursday at 5 PM. I had plans I couldn't change at that point. They also called for Alumni on this Thursday and Friday.
One issue with the UMN is they are often scrambling to figure these things out. It sounds like there is just a lack of planning and authority for who figures this out On top of it, there is so much turnover that the institutional knowledge disappears often. If you are a STH, make sure to let them know if this matters to you in their surveys. I guarantee there will be a band at TCF on Saturday afternoon.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Nov 25 10:23 am

There was no band for a huge rivalry game on a Saturday night...followed by no band for two consecutive rivalry games over a holiday weekend...no band for three straight games? For those who don't like piped in music, bring your earplugs.

The band is big enough to fill a football field...why not have a core unit, a dozen or so, that can show up for hockey games and fill in the holes with alumni? That's probably a dumb question, but I got lots of 'em. The nice thing about being the customer is that I don't have to have the answers.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Nov 25 10:35 am

Vegoe wrote:
Mon Nov 25 9:26 am
One issue with the UMN is they are often scrambling to figure these things out. It sounds like there is just a lack of planning and authority for who figures this out On top of it, there is so much turnover that the institutional knowledge disappears often. If you are a STH, make sure to let them know if this matters to you in their surveys. I guarantee there will be a band at TCF on Saturday afternoon.
I did fill out the survey for Saturday's game and specifically called out the lack of the band for a major rivalry weekend.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 25 10:40 am

20+ years of going to hockey games in Madison, they have never been without a band. And I have never seen them use an alumni band.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Nov 25 10:59 am

I won't say it's pathetic but it isn't good
Sick of LOSERVILLE
107* big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

*Includes 19-20 NBA and 19-20 NHL seasons

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Nov 25 11:02 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 25 10:40 am
20+ years of going to hockey games in Madison, they have never been without a band. And I have never seen them use an alumni band.
It's disingenuous for the U to send out surveys and otherwise gripe about dwindling attendance while at the same time making a decision to deprive their customers of what they clearly want. They might just as well begin the survey, "Besides the fact that the band didn't show up, how was your experience?"

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Norm » Mon Nov 25 11:25 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Maybe they don't have football there. Oh, wait...

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 25 12:00 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Nov 25 11:02 am
Bertogliat wrote:
It's disingenuous for the U to send out surveys and otherwise gripe about dwindling attendance while at the same time making a decision to deprive their customers of what they clearly want. They might just as well begin the survey, "Besides the fact that the band didn't show up, how was your experience?"
How often and for how long have they been offering surveys? On top of that it's possible that not enough people take them seriously. I know I've seen some posters here actually complain about surveys/e-mails that nothing to do with solicitation. Unlike the Wild who are still selling tickets/having strong attendance, you'd think the continued empty seats for several years running would already have sent the necessary message that the U needs to do something, but if the paying customers don't actively say something it can't help.

That doesn't justify the lack of action and innovation mind you.
Currently under construction.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Nov 25 12:18 pm

While I agree that it sucks when the band isn’t there, I do remember that they are students too. They have a ton of practice time and had their indoor concert. It’s not like they were just sitting at home doing nothing instead of going to the game. Could they schedule it all a bit better? Sure. Especially when half the band doesn’t show the night before a home football game because they need to practice.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Nov 25 12:19 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Nov 25 12:00 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
How often and for how long have they been offering surveys? On top of that it's possible that not enough people take them seriously. I know I've seen some posters here actually complain about surveys/e-mails that nothing to do with solicitation. Unlike the Wild who are still selling tickets/having strong attendance, you'd think the continued empty seats for several years running would already have sent the necessary message that the U needs to do something, but if the paying customers don't actively say something it can't help.

Last season and so far this season I get "how was your experience?" surveys emailed after each game.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Nov 25 12:37 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Nov 25 12:19 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Last season and so far this season I get "how was your experience?" surveys emailed after each game.
Unfortunately, that contributed to the attendance in the 1st round of the playoffs last year, since it seems that unsubscribing from the weekend preview/post game survey ALSO dropped you from the list that got notified how/when to get playoff tickets. That doesn't excuse people not trying to find out themselves, but certainly didn't help.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Nov 25 1:13 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Composer wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
george wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Band is at Northrop for indoor concert. Should coordinate better or have alumni.
Unfortunately, they didn't send out the information until last Thursday at 5 PM. I had plans I couldn't change at that point. They also called for Alumni on this Thursday and Friday.
I put it in the survey response I received from the games this past weekend. I hope they look at the comments, but who really knows.

Thomps
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Thomps » Mon Nov 25 1:17 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:55 pm
Radio is confuzzled. Don't think this penalty is reviewable.....
Major penalties are all reviewable now. New in the last year or so. Granato was looking for a Slew Foot call from what I have heard.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 417 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 25 1:41 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

I have one in my email before I’m even back in the car after a game.
I hate surveys but I should start filling them out - but yeah I wonder if anyone reads them.

Sounds like no band Thursday, should be alumni Friday.
Not sure these games are even in the student ticket package. @Vegoe any idea?
This is a major fail on the part of the athletic department. Although to be fair they did try to schedule the hockey games for Friday/Sunday and und said no.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Nov 25 1:56 pm

Of course they're part of the student package.

This idea that UND said no is news to me
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Mon Nov 25 1:58 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 25 1:41 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

I have one in my email before I’m even back in the car after a game.
I hate surveys but I should start filling them out - but yeah I wonder if anyone reads them.

Sounds like no band Thursday, should be alumni Friday.
Not sure these games are even in the student ticket package. @Vegoe any idea?
This is a major fail on the part of the athletic department. Although to be fair they did try to schedule the hockey games for Friday/Sunday and und said no.
I know they do read them.

Mariucci Classic games are the only ones not in the student package.

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Cardinal » Mon Nov 25 3:27 pm

Thomps wrote:
Mon Nov 25 1:17 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:55 pm
Radio is confuzzled. Don't think this penalty is reviewable.....
Major penalties are all reviewable now. New in the last year or so. Granato was looking for a Slew Foot call from what I have heard.
They probably had a decent gripe here...

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Composer » Mon Nov 25 3:32 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Nov 25 10:23 am
There was no band for a huge rivalry game on a Saturday night...followed by no band for two consecutive rivalry games over a holiday weekend...no band for three straight games? For those who don't like piped in music, bring your earplugs.

The band is big enough to fill a football field...why not have a core unit, a dozen or so, that can show up for hockey games and fill in the holes with alumni? That's probably a dumb question, but I got lots of 'em. The nice thing about being the customer is that I don't have to have the answers.
Marching Band is a for-credit class. It is probably the most time-consuming 1 credit class at the U. The purpose of the class is to perform at football games. There's nothing in the class description about hockey or basketball. Those are extra. Also, you can't just pull people out. There's a reason they rehearse the night before a game. The show is never performance ready by Friday. People can't be missing that last rehearsal. And even at that point, they will have yet another rehearsal (very) early Saturday morning. You know that a lot of those folks would love to be at the hockey game. But their main responsibility is to be with the Marching Band--Football games and the Indoor Concerts.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Nov 25 4:00 pm

Composer wrote:
Mon Nov 25 3:32 pm
streakygopher wrote:

Marching Band is a for-credit class. It is probably the most time-consuming 1 credit class at the U. The purpose of the class is to perform at football games. There's nothing in the class description about hockey or basketball. Those are extra. Also, you can't just pull people out. There's a reason they rehearse the night before a game. The show is never performance ready by Friday. People can't be missing that last rehearsal. And even at that point, they will have yet another rehearsal (very) early Saturday morning. You know that a lot of those folks would love to be at the hockey game. But their main responsibility is to be with the Marching Band--Football games and the Indoor Concerts.
Huh, that's interesting. So, how is the hockey band continent selected? Are they always the same band members or do they rotate in/out for hockey?

grothm01
Rookie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by grothm01 » Mon Nov 25 4:15 pm

You would think they could make up a pep band with people that aren't in the marching band. Fixed my post.
Last edited by grothm01 on Mon Nov 25 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 25 4:23 pm

Other schools seem to figure it out. Maybe the hockey and basketball bands are different from he marching band?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 25 5:47 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Nov 25 4:00 pm
Composer wrote:
Mon Nov 25 3:32 pm
streakygopher wrote:

Huh, that's interesting. So, how is the hockey band continent selected? Are they always the same band members or do they rotate in/out for hockey?
Tryouts. Same for basketball band. Unless it’s changed, it’s the same peeps all year. You still have to try out each year though even if you were in the year before.

You must be a member of the marching band to try out for hockey/bb pep band.

No clue what/how they run women’s athletic band anymore.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Tue Nov 26 9:20 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 25 5:47 pm
Okay... I guess that is the gripe then? It'd be nice to have some who can just do hockey or bb without doing the marching band bit?

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Tue Nov 26 9:35 am

It isnt like this is the first time the band hasnt been at a game because of the concert...is all this outrage because it was a rivalry game?
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Nov 26 10:17 am

Yes and because it's unclear if they'll be at the even bigger games this week
Sick of LOSERVILLE

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Tue Nov 26 10:33 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Nov 26 10:17 am
Yes and because it's unclear if they'll be at the even bigger games this week
Yes, no band for three straight games against heated rivals is unacceptable.

Just because there is a precedent doesn't mean it's a good precedent. Not having the band in the rink diminishes the fans' experience. It's never been okay.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by D2D » Tue Nov 26 10:49 am

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Nov 26 10:33 am
Yes, no band for three straight games against heated rivals is unacceptable.

Just because there is a precedent doesn't mean it's a good precedent. Not having the band in the rink diminishes the fans' experience. It's never been okay.
I already know what my customer feedback is going to be following the games this week. :-x
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Nov 26 11:34 am

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Nov 26 9:20 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 25 5:47 pm
Okay... I guess that is the gripe then? It'd be nice to have some who can just do hockey or bb without doing the marching band bit?
I know they used to do that for women’s band, but for men’s hockey and bb they want kids that know the songs, cheers and cadences that are all a part of the experience.

It is a privilege to play in those pep bands, and also a reward for putting in the time commitment involved with the marching band.

It would have just been nice for the departments to plan a little better, and avoid our biggest rivals when there are going to be known conflicts. And it’s not like they didn’t know the schedules months ago and couldn’t have reached out to the alumni more than two days in advance.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 26 11:42 am

Handyman wrote:
Tue Nov 26 9:35 am
It isnt like this is the first time the band hasnt been at a game because of the concert...is all this outrage because it was a rivalry game?
Not sure that it's as much outrage as befuddlement in that others have noted they've never seen UW go without their band, etc.
Currently under construction.

Lancaster
Rookie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Lancaster » Tue Nov 26 11:46 am

Vegoe wrote:
Composer wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
george wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I think the turnover issue is huge. You learn how to nurture a fan base on a season by season basis, and when people leave after a year or two I think it becomes almost impossible for them to do it well.