2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
wincav
Rookie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by wincav » Mon Feb 03 1:17 pm

The "fans" that did not attend our last home weekend against Ohio State missed some entertaining hockey. Winning was the objective but it was also fun to see this young team go all-out. You just don't get the same experience on the TV in my opinion. You only see what the camera will show you. Let's all try to get more people at Mariucci this weekend against Mich. State. Go Gophers!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Feb 03 1:28 pm

Remember it’s $25 ticket that includes “any” beverage this weekend! And early start time Saturday so you can still go out after.

Yes, let’s fill the arena!!

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Mon Feb 03 2:12 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Feb 03 1:28 pm
Remember it’s $25 ticket that includes “any” beverage this weekend! And early start time Saturday so you can still go out after.

Yes, let’s fill the arena!!
Easy prediction: Concessions will set an "all-time" record for beer sales! Just a question if it will be Friday or Saturday.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Mon Feb 03 7:07 pm

I can't believe there are only 4 regular season home games left, this season is flying by.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Feb 03 8:30 pm

gopherfun83 wrote:
Mon Feb 03 7:07 pm
I can't believe there are only 4 regular season home games left, this season is flying by.
Well, as long as they keep playing like they have been, there should be at least a couple more :-)

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Feb 04 4:53 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Feb 02 4:10 pm
I hope the recent surge means more people inside Mariucci. Even though attendance was still relatively low against the nuts the atmosphere was more fun than it had been recently.
The recent surge means my posts are imbued with magical qualities. The team is UNDEFEATED since I made an impassioned plea to revert back to the Minnesota-only recruiting philosophy - coincidence?!

/Narrator voice: it was totally a coincidence

:lol:

junti
Rookie

Post by junti » Tue Feb 04 8:35 am

upnorthkid wrote:
Sun Feb 02 8:18 am
Just for fun, since it now feels like a remote possibility where before it was an absolutely not.

Personally am a fan of Jim Dahl's college hockey ranked (https://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/). Gives forecasts on wins needed and where you'd finish for those who haven't heard of it. Heading into last weekend prior to the Badger sweep, looked like we needed 8 wins to have a pretty good chance at being safe (note, the info below is prior to the Badger weekend, so the numbers will adjust some). I have listed the most likely probability based on number of wins.
So moral of the story, go over .500 the rest of he way and there will be a chance they could play their way in. Going 4-2 and it looks even more solid.
win 0 (where we are now): 100% chance 30th or worse (so don't lose out guys)
win 2: 19% chance of #24
win 4: 19% chance of #18
win 6: 23% chance of #11
win 8: 42% chance at #6
This is a really dumb question probably but I'm going to ask it.

Is it better for PWR purposes to be the 1 seed in the B1G and no first round games, or better to play and have the opportunity for a couple more wins? Obviously gaining the 1 seed and a bye means they probably won 5-6 and are on the bubble....

Sorry for being a PWR idiot regarding that scenario. Obviously I'd love for them to win the B1G and have a bye. Just curious if that's the best path for their PWR to get inside the bubble.

junti
Rookie

Post by junti » Tue Feb 04 8:36 am

wincav wrote:
Mon Feb 03 1:17 pm
The "fans" that did not attend our last home weekend against Ohio State missed some entertaining hockey. Winning was the objective but it was also fun to see this young team go all-out. You just don't get the same experience on the TV in my opinion. You only see what the camera will show you. Let's all try to get more people at Mariucci this weekend against Mich. State. Go Gophers!
Huge series. I live 6 hours away and have 2 kids playing in tournaments this weekend. I wish like heck I could get there this weekend. Fill this place and show the team some love!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 04 9:10 am

junti wrote:
Tue Feb 04 8:35 am
upnorthkid wrote:
Just for fun, since it now feels like a remote possibility where before it was an absolutely not.

Personally am a fan of Jim Dahl's college hockey ranked (https://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/). Gives forecasts on wins needed and where you'd finish for those who haven't heard of it. Heading into last weekend prior to the Badger sweep, looked like we needed 8 wins to have a pretty good chance at being safe (note, the info below is prior to the Badger weekend, so the numbers will adjust some). I have listed the most likely probability based on number of wins.
So moral of the story, go over .500 the rest of he way and there will be a chance they could play their way in. Going 4-2 and it looks even more solid.

Is it better for PWR purposes to be the 1 seed in the B1G and no first round games, or better to play and have the opportunity for a couple more wins? Obviously gaining the 1 seed and a bye means they probably won 5-6 and are on the bubble....

Sorry for being a PWR idiot regarding that scenario. Obviously I'd love for them to win the B1G and have a bye. Just curious if that's the best path for their PWR to get inside the bubble.
Chances are, it would be better to get the bye than take 2nd place. In 2nd place, you're playing the worst team in the conference, which (even assuming you sweep) has the potential to not help the RPI at all, where in 1st place, you're guranteed to play someone that has a couple recent wins, which pushes up THEIR RPI, which then makes it better for you to play them.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

upnorthkid
Rookie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by upnorthkid » Tue Feb 04 9:19 am

junti wrote:
upnorthkid wrote:

Not a dumb question at all, particularly given where we are right now in terms of B10 points. A ton of this obviously depends on how we get to the seed, but I would side towards the bye given that finishing second or worse likely means we're going 5-3 (or worse) or at best 6-2, which will put us on the bubble. Winning a game against the worst team will not give us any boost to our PWR as that team will be in the upper 30s in PWR

So get the bye, hopefully eliminate your chance for a PWR tanker of a loss, and get your best chance with the bye.

On that note, updated forecast by wins per Jim Dahl
Win 0: 100% chance of 30th or worse
Win 1: 85% chance of 30th or worse
Win 2: about 40% chance of 27-28th
Win 3: about 40% chance of 23-24th
Win 4: about 40% chance of 19-20th
Win 5: about 42% chance of 15-16th
Win 6: 22.5% chance of 12th
Win 7: 22.6% chance of 9th
Win 8: 41.8% chance of 7th

So win 6 or more and we should be on pretty solid footing heading into the tournament. 5 or less leaves likely needing the B10 title.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 04 9:53 am

https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/04/tmq-th ... tarts-now/

This doesn't sound right:
But look at Minnesota and the league math. The Gophers would have to win seven of their remaining eight games for at least a share of the regular-season Big Ten title...
Have to seems off if the teams ahead of them (some of which the Gophers have games in hand on) tread water.
Currently under construction.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 04 10:06 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 04 9:53 am

But look at Minnesota and the league math. The Gophers would have to win seven of their remaining eight games for at least a share of the regular-season Big Ten title...
Have to seems off if the teams ahead of them (some of which the Gophers have games in hand on) tread water.
That is interesting, and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but, part of it is also a matter of:
6 of our remaining 8 games are against teams in that top cluster.
How many of the remaining games by the top 5 teams (all within 1 point in the standings) are against each other, or how many against Wisco/Michigan.

I think 6 of the last 8 will be enough to take the conference, but, there are too many moving parts 4 weeks out to know for sure.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 04 10:43 am

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Feb 04 10:45 am

Steve MN wrote:
Tue Feb 04 10:06 am
Slap Shot wrote:

That is interesting, and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but, part of it is also a matter of:
6 of our remaining 8 games are against teams in that top cluster.
How many of the remaining games by the top 5 teams (all within 1 point in the standings) are against each other, or how many against Wisco/Michigan.

I think 6 of the last 8 will be enough to take the conference, but, there are too many moving parts 4 weeks out to know for sure.
They need to get the nittaly lion off their back

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Tue Feb 04 10:45 am

That's cool...
Were we the only two teams playing last weekend? (kidding... but were we... still kidding... but seriously...)
JWG
[This space for rent]

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 04 10:48 am

Goldy77 wrote:
Wed Jan 22 5:28 pm
Gopher99 wrote:
Wed Jan 22 5:17 pm
...just was thinking something the last few days, is this the most non-descript Gopher hockey season since __?

Maybe it's just me but feels like it's been...incredibly mundane. Or is this more or less just the new reality as a result of the factors discussed ad nauseam about college hockey (and specifically us) in the last 5 years? Wondering if others on here are feeling the same this season.
Well the team has been pretty bad recently(last few years). Bottom of the barrel type stuff now. Nothing interesting to see or talk about really.
Not picking on you guys cause many of us felt the same. But isn't it something how much things can change in 10 days?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 04 2:08 pm

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Goldy77 » Tue Feb 04 4:30 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Feb 04 10:48 am
Goldy77 wrote:
Wed Jan 22 5:28 pm
Gopher99 wrote:
Wed Jan 22 5:17 pm
...just was thinking something the last few days, is this the most non-descript Gopher hockey season since __?

Maybe it's just me but feels like it's been...incredibly mundane. Or is this more or less just the new reality as a result of the factors discussed ad nauseam about college hockey (and specifically us) in the last 5 years? Wondering if others on here are feeling the same this season.
Well the team has been pretty bad recently(last few years). Bottom of the barrel type stuff now. Nothing interesting to see or talk about really.
Not picking on you guys cause many of us felt the same. But isn't it something how much things can change in 10 days?
:dup: Yep, crazy stuff. Glad they’re playing much better hockey, keep it going.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Feb 04 9:38 pm

upnorthkid wrote:
Tue Feb 04 9:19 am
junti wrote:
upnorthkid wrote:

Not a dumb question at all, particularly given where we are right now in terms of B10 points. A ton of this obviously depends on how we get to the seed, but I would side towards the bye given that finishing second or worse likely means we're going 5-3 (or worse) or at best 6-2, which will put us on the bubble. Winning a game against the worst team will not give us any boost to our PWR as that team will be in the upper 30s in PWR

So get the bye, hopefully eliminate your chance for a PWR tanker of a loss, and get your best chance with the bye.

On that note, updated forecast by wins per Jim Dahl
Win 0: 100% chance of 30th or worse
Win 1: 85% chance of 30th or worse
Win 2: about 40% chance of 27-28th
Win 3: about 40% chance of 23-24th
Win 4: about 40% chance of 19-20th
Win 5: about 42% chance of 15-16th
Win 6: 22.5% chance of 12th
Win 7: 22.6% chance of 9th
Win 8: 41.8% chance of 7th

So win 6 or more and we should be on pretty solid footing heading into the tournament. 5 or less leaves likely needing the B10 title.
And realistically, you need to be 12th or maybe 13th to get an at-large, given auto-bids.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 04 11:02 pm

Let’s get both!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Feb 04 11:08 pm

So, 6-2 is the goal. Or better.
JWG
[This space for rent]

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Feb 04 11:18 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Feb 04 11:08 pm
Pretty much. I have faith, but I also have a tendency not to get ahead of myself.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Feb 04 11:50 pm

I think it's a tremendous challenge, but doable with 100% effort and some puckluck.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Wed Feb 05 6:19 am

In any case they need to figure out how to beat Penn State. If they can do that and keep winning they would for sure deserve to get in the NCAA tournament this year.
Go Gophers!

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Composer » Wed Feb 05 7:33 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Feb 04 11:18 pm
JWG wrote:
Pretty much. I have faith, but I also have a tendency not to get ahead of myself.
Sweeping Sparty would put us ahead of the 22.5% curve.

upnorthkid
Rookie

Post by upnorthkid » Wed Feb 05 8:07 am

JWG wrote:
Yes I'd say so. Defend home ice and split on the road and you're there. Would imagine we need a minimum of a win and a tie this weekend.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 05 8:43 am

Imagine even contemplating this team could go 6-2 two or three weeks ago. If for some reason they fall short of that the past few weeks should give fans hope for the future. Making the NCAA is still an uphill climb and if they can't do that, I think they're ready to cut loose next year barring any drastic roster losses.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 05 9:03 am

Slap Shot wrote:

There are plenty of ways they don't have to go 7-1 to finish first on the conference and none that are all that unrealistic: https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/whatif/big-ten/

For instance:

PSU:
OPP POINTS EARNED
OSU 3
UW 6
UM 6

OSU:
PSU 3
MSU 4
UW 6

UM:
MSU 4
ND 6
PSU 0
UMi 6

ND:
UMN 0
UMi 5
MSU 3

MSU:
UM 2
UMi 4
OSU 2
ND 3

Final Standings:
UM 44
PSU 44
OSU 42
MSU 39
ND 36

Obviously there are many ways this could play out and this was only the first attempt I tried just to see how things could evolve. Maybe expecting 4 vs. MSU is over the top, but I also pegged them for 0 vs. PSU which might be against how they've been playing better hockey of late.

Suffice it to say there's a lot of hockey left, but getting a bye isn't at all unreasonable if the past 8 games are any indicator.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Feb 05 9:59 am

PSU is who scares me. They seemingly could put a bunch of cats on the ice and we'd probably lose 2-6.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Feb 05 10:51 am

JWG wrote:
Wed Feb 05 9:59 am
PSU is who scares me. They seemingly could put a bunch of cats on the ice and we'd probably lose 2-6.
Especially being we've heard for years that the Gophers struggle against teams that play a tightly structured defense. Kinda the opposite of what PSU does.
They put more pressure on our D than we can handle.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Feb 05 11:56 am

Norm wrote:
Wed Feb 05 10:51 am
JWG wrote:
Especially being we've heard for years that the Gophers struggle against teams that play a tightly structured defense. Kinda the opposite of what PSU does.
I think there are two edges to that argument...

Against a tightly structured defense (Notre Dame, Minnesota Duluth, Ohio State, Michigan State, Bemidji State)... there have been times when the Gophers have been so wreckless with their puck management that they are turnover machines feeding the other team's offense. And those games are usually low scoring enough where just a couple mistakes that get converted cost them the game. We've seen the Gophers respond with some good performances against that style, just some of the painful games stand out more maybe.

Against PSU or North Dakota ultra aggressive forecheck... there have been times where the Gophers struggle to get their breakout game organized. Either the defense are under so much pressure so quickly, that there are quick transition opportunities for PSU below the circles or the forwards get so spread out that every breakout is slowed or chipped out into the neutral zone. The Gophers have had less success playing against this style, although I thought they looked okay in the second game against North Dakota this year.

So yes... those are opposite styles where they struggle.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Feb 05 5:06 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Feb 05 11:56 am
Norm wrote:
Wed Feb 05 10:51 am
JWG wrote:
I think there are two edges to that argument...

Against a tightly structured defense (Notre Dame, Minnesota Duluth, Ohio State, Michigan State, Bemidji State)... there have been times when the Gophers have been so wreckless with their puck management that they are turnover machines feeding the other team's offense. And those games are usually low scoring enough where just a couple mistakes that get converted cost them the game. We've seen the Gophers respond with some good performances against that style, just some of the painful games stand out more maybe.

Against PSU or North Dakota ultra aggressive forecheck... there have been times where the Gophers struggle to get their breakout game organized. Either the defense are under so much pressure so quickly, that there are quick transition opportunities for PSU below the circles or the forwards get so spread out that every breakout is slowed or chipped out into the neutral zone. The Gophers have had less success playing against this style, although I thought they looked okay in the second game against North Dakota this year.

So yes... those are opposite styles where they struggle.
Very well stated 👍 whats encouraging is how well they’ve played since the Xmas break, something you hope to see out of a young, inexperienced team, and it’s been that way the past 5 weeks☝️

Doc Holliday
Veteran
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Doc Holliday » Thu Feb 06 5:25 pm

I'm out in Vegas right now. At the Flamingo, College Hockey National Championship Futures odds has the Gophers at 60:1 to win the title. While I think it's obviously a long shot to win it, 60 to 1 seems like pretty good value for a team that seems to be playing its best hockey as we get into the stretch run.
"True love is hard to find. Sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a $%&@#% magic show ready to double team your girlfriend." -Mitch Martin

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Thu Feb 06 8:59 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Thu Feb 06 5:25 pm
I'm out in Vegas right now. At the Flamingo, College Hockey National Championship Futures odds has the Gophers at 60:1 to win the title. While I think it's obviously a long shot to win it, 60 to 1 seems like pretty good value for a team that seems to be playing its best hockey as we get into the stretch run.
Drop 100 on it, then go put 250 on 23, viva las vegas
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 06 9:53 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Thu Feb 06 5:25 pm
Drop a 10 spot on it. You never know. And (especially in Vegas) what's 10 bucks?

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Doc Holliday
Veteran

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 07 9:53 am

BE83F139-C006-4976-8ECA-A6C09EE8837E.jpeg
"True love is hard to find. Sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a $%&@#% magic show ready to double team your girlfriend." -Mitch Martin

Doc Holliday
Veteran

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 07 9:57 am

79CB8159-7B53-4B4A-BC9A-02D712B1E9B3.jpeg
And Rube...if it pays our, you’re entitled to $30 for your commission. Ha ha

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Feb 07 9:58 am

Tradition says it may make sense, with those odds, to bet against Minnesota State.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Feb 07 10:15 am

D2D wrote:
Fri Feb 07 9:58 am
Tradition says it may make sense, with those odds, to bet against Minnesota State.
Stupid question - can you actually do that in Vegas? If so I assume you'd have to bet say a lot more than $100 to win $100 but is that even a type of bet?

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Feb 07 10:18 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:15 am
D2D wrote:
Stupid question - can you actually do that in Vegas? If so I assume you'd have to bet say a lot more than $100 to win $100 but is that even a type of bet?
No idea, just posted as a hypothetical as I'm not a betting kind of guy!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 10:32 am

I don't think you could really do that but since they'll likely choke as expected you could put cash on UND, UMD, and maybe Cornell and put yourself in a pretty decent spot I'd think.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Feb 07 12:07 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:15 am
D2D wrote:
You cannot do that. The odds would be something outrageous like you bet $1,000 to win $10 if they don’t win it all.

Doc Holliday
Veteran

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 07 12:23 pm

Once you get to some mainstream stuff that’s down to a few, you can. Like NFL playoffs, they would have been a futures bet for Vikings to NOT win the NFC, but as said, you’d have to put up a lot to win a little. My guess on the Vikes as the playoffs started would have been bet 1,500 to win 100. Now granted....it would have won. But that’s a lot of risk.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 10:07 pm

Does anyone remember what the deal was for playoff tickets with season tickets? Was it a flat rate of 15 a pop times 5 games and they refund anything unused or it's a credit or what?
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Feb 07 10:08 pm

Up to 17 in the way too early to look at them rankings.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Feb 07 10:17 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:07 pm
Does anyone remember what the deal was for playoff tickets with season tickets? Was it a flat rate of 15 a pop times 5 games and they refund anything unused or it's a credit or what?
Last year it was $30 a game I think and you could buy one weekend at a time as they moved on. You could ask for a credit toward the next season’s tickets or get your money back for the unused.

I can’t remember what they are this year - you had the option to buy the first round with your season tickets, I think $90 or $95 per seat.

Those tickets were not included in with the stack of season tickets btw.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 10:19 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:17 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Last year it was $30 a game I think and you could buy one weekend at a time as they moved on. You could ask for a credit toward the next season’s tickets or get your money back for the unused.

I can’t remember what they are this year - you had the option to buy the first round with your season tickets, I think $90 or $95 per seat.

90 or 95 per seat?? At that rate, they are clearly giving you all five potential games. I don't see how they could charge 30 for those games after seeing what happened last year. And 15 was the number in my head from previous discussions on here.

Spitballing here but it might be 15 + 15 + 15 + 20 (semi) + 25 (final)
Last edited by Bonin21 on Fri Feb 07 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

poisondart
Rookie

Post by poisondart » Fri Feb 07 10:21 pm

Been gone awhile but just want to tip my hat to the team and coach. In November I wasn’t convinced this team could even compete with half the teams in the country but the last 10 games they’ve come so far. The freshman D have been tremendous as have all the the freshman. Best stretch of gopher hockey in a long time. Nice to see a gopher team building momentum this time of year.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Feb 07 11:31 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:19 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:17 pm
Bonin21 wrote:

90 or 95 per seat?? At that rate, they are clearly giving you all five potential games. I don't see how they could charge 30 for those games after seeing what happened last year. And 15 was the number in my head from previous discussions on here.

Spitballing here but it might be 15 + 15 + 15 + 20 (semi) + 25 (final)
Pretty sure the $90 is just for first round (3 games at $30). That’s what it was last year. They aren’t going to sell more than one round at a time, too much hassle to refund if they don’t make it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 11:33 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 07 11:31 pm
Pretty sure the $90 is just for first round (3 games at $30). That’s what it was last year. They aren’t going to sell more than one round at a time, too much hassle to refund if they don’t make it.
If you bought them I'm sorry but that's a ripoff. If they charge 30 to the gen public you're gonna have fewer than 2000 bodies in the arena. I'll email my ticket rep, but I guess I'll probably just hold out for inevitable $20 or cheaper tickets should we get home ice.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Feb 07 11:36 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Feb 07 11:33 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 07 11:31 pm
If you bought them I'm sorry but that's a ripoff. If they charge 30 to the gen public you're gonna have fewer than 2000 bodies in the arena. I'll email my ticket rep, but I guess I'll probably just hold out for inevitable $20 or cheaper tickets should we get home ice.
True you’ll probably get them cheaper but unlikely from the U. We keep winning the prices will not go down, playoffs or not.
I like my seats and wanted them for the playoffs too. :)

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Feb 07 11:39 pm

$30/game for playoffs is reasonable, IMO.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 11:44 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Feb 07 11:39 pm
If you're trying to avoid what happened last year, it's not gonna fly. 4000, maybe 5000 people will buy tickets at that price (including STH) for the first round, tops.

They should be trying to fill the arena in "bonus" games like that. $10. $5 for students.

Raise the price a bit if they advance to the next round.

Vegoe may be able to ask the U how many people opted in for the extra $90 bucks when they shelled out a ton of cash on season tickets. My prediction is not more than half. People don't like add ons when they're spending good money.
Last edited by Bonin21 on Fri Feb 07 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Feb 07 11:46 pm

Of course, we might skip right to the semifinal...
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 08 3:46 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Feb 07 11:39 pm
More than reasonable.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Feb 08 7:28 am

IIRC, someone said the B1G 10 dictated the prices for the playoffs.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Handyman » Sat Feb 08 7:47 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:28 am
If that is true it wont stop people from blaming the U you know that ;)

(I do believe Vegoe said that last year but I may be misremembering)

Normally I would say $30 is reasonable but I went last year and that was the saddest thing I have seen. These days I would say $20 is probably the best price but that is just in my head.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Feb 08 8:12 am

This isn't about what is reasonable. It's about what is going to get people in the arena. Let's wait and see I guess but I don't think it will be pretty and it's not a good look for the program.

Also there is still a good chance the Gophers need to win the playoff title to get into the tournament, and a one third full arena won't get them too hyped up. I know it's set by the Big Ten but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid. It's not the Stanley Cup playoffs. It's potentially a one week notice opponent in college hockey.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

upnorthkid
Rookie

Post by upnorthkid » Sat Feb 08 8:52 am

Handyman wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:47 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:28 am
If that is true it wont stop people from blaming the U you know that ;)

(I do believe Vegoe said that last year but I may be misremembering)

Normally I would say $30 is reasonable but I went last year and that was the saddest thing I have seen. These days I would say $20 is probably the best price but that is just in my head.
Free for students and $10 for everyone else. I went and last year was an absolute travesty. Horrible optics

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Composer » Sat Feb 08 8:58 am

1st round ticket sales were rarely very decent. The 3000 people with season tickets that don't come to the games aren't going to be buying at any price. $30 is reasonable.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Feb 08 9:09 am

It is all about what kind of momentum this team garners. If this team continues to grow, I could see the fanbase really starting to get behind them.They are young, and exciting. Also, last year the MN State High School Hockey Tourney was being held the same weekend as our playoff series vs Michigan. That played into the attendance woes as well. If the Gophers have a 1st round home series, it will also go up against it this year I believe.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Feb 08 9:15 am

So how about we just get a bye
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Goldy77 » Sat Feb 08 9:17 am

Can we have a separate attendance/ticket thread. $&$@&@ $ sickening.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Feb 08 11:13 am

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Feb 07 10:08 pm
Up to 17 in the way too early to look at them rankings.
Actually, this is about the time to start watching PWR to see what trends are developing, and get an idea what the teams need to do going forward (other than the obvious: just win). Once you get past the December break, things start settling down, and by mid-late February, there really isn't a ton of movement.

Of course, the actual positions right now don't matter, and won't until after the conference tournaments are completed, but about now is when I start paying attention to the trends, and get an idea what affect any given weekend is having on things.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 08 1:58 pm

Finish 5-2. Sweep at home and split on the road.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 08 6:38 pm

Optics my eye. It matters not at all in the context of the season long attendance which was abysmal last year. It feels like it's been slightly improving and clearly the team is playing better of late. The BTHC isn't going to set playoff prices based off any of that.

The bottom line is for the love of Parise stop effing complaining. Support the team and go to the games. You can't control anything else and the incessant and childish whining does no good whatsoever.

On to the future and bigger and better things!!

Bigbeer
Veteran
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Feb 08 7:17 pm

The “shut up and take it” argument is a classic
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Feb 08 7:23 pm

Time to see how they respond. Tough stretch of games coming, learn from this and move on.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 08 7:26 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:17 pm
There will be situational circumstances that deserve criticism and I take no issue with that. But suggesting people "get over it" is certainly no worse then whining ad nauseum. Especially as the program appears to be on the upswing and getting back to playing the type of hockey we're accustomed to watching.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Feb 08 8:05 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:26 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
There will be situational circumstances that deserve criticism and I take no issue with that. But suggesting people "get over it" is certainly no worse then whining ad nauseum. Especially as the program appears to be on the upswing and getting back to playing the type of hockey we're accustomed to watching.
For whatever negatives the BTN has brought I will admit that not having to deal with NoDak and their jackass fanbase for 4-5 games a year is a bonus.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Feb 08 9:14 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sat Feb 08 8:05 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Feb 08 7:26 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
For whatever negatives the BTN has brought I will admit that not having to deal with NoDak and their jackass fanbase for 4-5 games a year is a bonus.
True about the NoDak fans. Also it would be nice if they would televise a few games on local tv. Every weekend, either UMD or St. Cloud is on 9+ local in the twin cities.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Feb 09 8:17 am

Its going to be a crazy finish. 6 teams within 6 points. The Gophers have virtually identical chances of finishing first through sixth.
Screenshot_20200209-081505_Samsung Internet.jpg

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Zwak » Sun Feb 09 9:59 am

From Charley Walters column today:

“ If the current Gophers men’s hockey team doesn’t lose any underclassmen to the NHL — and none are expected to leave — and considering incoming recruiting classes, Minnesota will contend for a national championship in two years. That’s the opinion of people in the know.

Gophers with major futures include sophomore forward Sampo Ranta from Finland and freshman defenseman Ryan Johnson, last June’s first-round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres and son of ex-Gophers star Craig Johnson.”
GPL's official source of trivia.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Feb 09 10:46 am

Zwak wrote:
Sun Feb 09 9:59 am

“ If the current Gophers men’s hockey team doesn’t lose any underclassmen to the NHL — and none are expected to leave — and considering incoming recruiting classes, Minnesota will contend for a national championship in two years. That’s the opinion of people in the know.

Gophers with major futures include sophomore forward Sampo Ranta from Finland and freshman defenseman Ryan Johnson, last June’s first-round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres and son of ex-Gophers star Craig Johnson.”
That's pretty much the way I see it. Ranta has made big strides this season. He wasn't sharing the puck last season, but this year he's controlling play and looking to pass. He has the speed and the big body to play at the next level.

Johnson needs more time, but his skill set is obvious. He's been looking real sharp lately, but unlike a tough kid like Lindgren, he's a bit under sized/strength to even consider a move in my opinion. He should be able to score at this level, and hopefully he figures out how to contribute on the power play next year.

I'll say it again: Gophers will have 4 solid D coming into next year. Haven't had that in a long, long time.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sun Feb 09 11:34 am

Zwak wrote:
Sun Feb 09 9:59 am

Do you think Ranta will be here 2 years from now?