2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Greyeagle
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 630 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jan 18 8:19 am

Any word o Reedy? He left the ice very late in the third and he looked to be holding his wrist. Looked like he went straight down the tunnel.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jan 18 10:08 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Jan 18 8:19 am
Any word o Reedy? He left the ice very late in the third and he looked to be holding his wrist. Looked like he went straight down the tunnel.
From my angle, it looked like his shoulder was dangling as if it popped out of place. We’re not doctors, but it sure was something with his arm.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Jan 18 12:12 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Jan 18 10:08 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Jan 18 8:19 am
From my angle, it looked like his shoulder was dangling as if it popped out of place. We’re not doctors, but it sure was something with his arm.
That’s not good news...been there done that...hopefully not a dislocated shoulder, but that’s what it typically (looks like when the injury occurs). Remember when it happened to Cade Fairchild (after he was hit late into the side boards) and skated off hunched over with his arm hanging. In this case, hopefully it’s his wrist, not his shoulder. A broken wrist sucks too, but nothing compared to a dislocated shoulder and the always associated torn labrum (of the shoulder).Only way to properly repair that injury is surgery & 5-6 months of healing & rehab...there is no shortcut - period☝️

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jan 18 12:37 pm

It was right off the faceoff. So not a forceful hit involved. He even left his stick laying in the faceoff dot as he skated off.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Jan 18 12:58 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Jan 18 12:37 pm
It was right off the faceoff. So not a forceful hit involved. He even left his stick laying in the faceoff dot as he skated off.
So it’s his wrist. But, if he’d previously dislocated his shoulder (and torn his labrum) earlier this season, it could have popped out again, that’s how unstable a shoulder with a torn labrum is, it doesn’t take a big collision or hit/fall to pop the arm bone out of the humerus socket, if it’s been injured previously. That’s why surgery is the only way to repair this injury effectively. Some players wait till the offseason to do it, and attempt to play with the injury in the mean time. It’s not the way to go IMO, unless your already playing professionally☝️

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 267 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jan 20 2:54 pm

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 367 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Jan 20 3:34 pm

Cappy is fun.... He'll be on the Podcast this week!

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Laxref » Mon Jan 20 8:05 pm

Cappy does seen like a good dude. Despite everyone’s hate for the big ten, I think the network is good for college hockey, they show more games and have more features than any other national network.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Mon Jan 20 9:57 pm

Todays NCAA hockey poll the Gophers are ranked the lowest of all 5 MN teams, after sweeping UMD Saint Cloud moved ahead of them. 6th ranked in the BIG, and only 2 points out of last place. Losing to the U18 team on hockey day MN weekend, hopefully will help motivate them. Last year UMD lost to the U18 team and went on to win the championship. Now most likely the Gophers will need to win the BIG tournament to even have a chance.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 332 times

Post by D2D » Mon Jan 20 11:53 pm

gopherfun83 wrote:
Mon Jan 20 9:57 pm
Today's NCAA hockey poll the Gophers are ranked the lowest of all 5 MN teams, after sweeping UMD Saint Cloud moved ahead of them. 6th ranked in the BIG, and only 2 points out of last place.

And most would say the team that's just 2 points behind has superior talent to the Gophers. Over the rest of this season and into next we'll see which coaching staff best succeeds in getting the most out of their lineups.
gopherfun83 wrote:
Last year UMD lost to the U18 team and went on to win the championship. Now most likely the Gophers will need to win the BIG tournament to even have a chance.
Realistically, winning the B1G Tournament is now the Gophers' only path of getting into the NCAA Tournament's field of 16. I think the main challenge for the team, from now until then, is to improve as much as possible so winning the conference tourney remains a realistic goal.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Norm » Tue Jan 21 9:02 am

gopherfun83 wrote:
Todays NCAA hockey poll the Gophers are ranked the lowest of all 5 MN teams
When St Thomas goes D-1, will the Gophers be the sixth best team in the state? :oops:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jan 22 12:02 pm

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Goldy77 » Wed Jan 22 3:33 pm

Any recent news on Noah Weber? What was his injury and is he expected to play at all this year?

Gopher99
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Gopher99 » Wed Jan 22 5:17 pm

...just was thinking something the last few days, is this the most non-descript Gopher hockey season since __?

Maybe it's just me but feels like it's been...incredibly mundane. Or is this more or less just the new reality as a result of the factors discussed ad nauseam about college hockey (and specifically us) in the last 5 years? Wondering if others on here are feeling the same this season.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by trixR4kids » Wed Jan 22 5:27 pm

It's been hard to watch.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Wed Jan 22 5:28 pm

Gopher99 wrote:
Wed Jan 22 5:17 pm
...just was thinking something the last few days, is this the most non-descript Gopher hockey season since __?

Maybe it's just me but feels like it's been...incredibly mundane. Or is this more or less just the new reality as a result of the factors discussed ad nauseam about college hockey (and specifically us) in the last 5 years? Wondering if others on here are feeling the same this season.
Well the team has been pretty bad recently(last few years). Bottom of the barrel type stuff now. Nothing interesting to see or talk about really.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Wed Jan 22 6:11 pm

I'm soooooo ready for "gopher hockey". Best guess is better next year and a good shot at "it" the next year

Gopher99
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Gopher99 » Wed Jan 22 6:55 pm

Goldy77, fair point and definitely hear you there for sure.

Not to be devil's advocate but thought it was an interesting point, on the Souhan/Russo podcast from this week, Russo said that his game stories at the Athletic actually gets more engagement when the team loses. I don't know if it's mob mentality/fan venting, but something I thought about as a reflection thinking about Gopher hockey. We know it's trying times and a rebuilding situation in the now. But to me the casual and passionate fan both seem largely apathetic from my vantage point...just something as a Gopher hockey fan (only since '99) that I can't recall experiencing like this. Just my two cents, could be a prisoner of the moment mentality though and just my opinion.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Jan 23 7:29 am

After reading through the many Woog tributes, I had an “a-ha!” moment after reading Vegoe’s article on the Athletic ([phenomenal *free* article, btw – click and read if you haven’t alreadyl!) Click Here

“I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right players Minnesotans.”

As a Gen-Xer, I grew up during the Woog era. What set the hockey program apart (for me, at least) from the football team and every other sport at the U? Easy --> Wooger’s Minnesota-only recruiting philosophy. Like many of you, I grew up dreaming of lacing ‘em up, donning that M sweater, and representing the state. Planned or not, the recruiting strategy fostered an us-against-the-world mentality that I absolutely loved. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, but I think there’s an exception carved out if it’s On Ice, amiright? Anyways, I carried that loyalty and pride with me to the east coast throughout my college years. I was there for the 1995 Frozen Four clunker in Providence, and I vividly remember where I was for so many other great moments. I also remember Wooger being let go a few years later…and having mixed emotions about Lucia taking over the helm. What’s this? He’s bringing a –GASP! – non-Minnesotan on the team?! Two consecutive Natty’s later, everyone – myself included – gives that shift in recruiting philosophy a pass and thinks “well, maybe it’s for the best after all.”

My lukewarm take: it’s not. We should return to a Minnesota-only recruiting strategy. It’ll re-energize the fanbase. It’ll also help with recruiting. Don’t believe me?
“I loved (playing for an all-Minnesota team),” [Scott] Bell said. “That was my draw to it, otherwise it was just another school for me. Like what’s the difference between Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and all these teams. It was unique, and that’s what I wanted to be a part of and that’s why I chose the University of Minnesota.”
Reading Vegoe’s column, I suddenly found myself getting excited again. Remembering that old recruiting philosophy, that Pride I carried with me as a 20-something trash-talking kid in the middle of Hockey East-land. We carried an edge as fans because we won or lost as Minnesotans first and foremost. The rest of the teams were reliant upon out-of-state mercenaries and/or Gopher rejects.

The fanbase is full of Gen-Xers like myself who find themselves in the prime of their careers/earning potential (that’s what I’m told). If I were still living in-state, I’d snatch up season tickets if this practice were restored, and I'm positive my kids would re-live that same dream. It's a dream that only we, as Minnesota kids, could have much less understand. As it stands today, what Scott asked above holds true: “what’s the difference between Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and all these teams”? Forget about price points, band / chants, B1G TV, coaches, or even mini-donuts. A shift in recruiting like this would hit many Minnesotans in the feels and I think we’d see the beginning of a massive shift.
“He didn’t forget where he came from and all the volunteers and all the coaches who helped him get to become an All-American at Minnesota,” Micheletti said. “I think that resonated with him and stuck with him and I think he did that without even telling people that it was kind of a tribute to all of the volunteers around the state who helped coach all these kids growing up and you know didn’t get paid a penny for it. It was like, ‘OK, I owe a debt of gratitude to all of Minnesota hockey for raising these great players we have in this state.’”
TL;DR – we should restore the Minnesotans-only recruiting philosophy.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

PS – I am not a crackpot.
Last edited by Dances With Gophers on Thu Jan 23 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Thu Jan 23 7:43 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Thu Jan 23 7:29 am
After reading through the many Woog tributes, I had an “a-ha!” moment after reading Vegoe’s article on the Athletic ([phenomenal *free* article, btw – click and read if you haven’t alreadyl!) Click Here

“I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right players Minnesotans.”

As a Gen-Xer, I grew up during the Woog era. What set the hockey program apart (for me, at least) from the football team and every other sport at the U? Easy --> Wooger’s Minnesota-only recruiting philosophy. Like many of you, I grew up dreaming of lacing ‘em up, donning that M sweater, and representing the state. Planned or not, the recruiting strategy fostered an us-against-the-world mentality that I absolutely loved. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, but I think there’s an exception carved out if it’s On Ice, amiright? Anyways, I carried that loyalty and pride with me to the east coast throughout my college years. I was there for the 1995 Frozen Four clunker in Providence, and I vividly remember where I was for so many other great moments. I also remember Wooger being let go a few years later…and having mixed emotions about Lucia taking over the helm. What’s this? He’s bringing a –GASP! – non-Minnesotan on the team?! Two consecutive Natty’s later, everyone – myself included – gives that shift in recruiting philosophy a pass and thinks “well, maybe it’s for the best after all.”

My lukewarm take: it’s not. We should return to a Minnesota-only recruiting strategy. It’ll re-energize the fanbase. It’ll also help with recruiting. Don’t believe me?
“I loved (playing for an all-Minnesota team),” [Scott] Bell said. “That was my draw to it, otherwise it was just another school for me. Like what’s the difference between Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and all these teams. It was unique, and that’s what I wanted to be a part of and that’s why I chose the University of Minnesota.”
Reading Vegoe’s column, I suddenly found myself getting excited again. Remembering that old recruiting philosophy, that Pride I carried with me as a 20-something trash-talking kid in the middle of Hockey East-land. We carried an edge as fans because we won or lost as Minnesotans first and foremost. The rest of the teams were reliant upon mercenaries and/or Gopher rejects.

The fanbase is full of Gen-Xers like myself who find themselves in the prime of their careers/earning potential (that’s what I’m told). If I were still living in-state, I’d snatch up season tickets if this practice were restored, and I'm positive my kids would re-live that same dream. It's a dream that only we, as Minnesota kids, could have much less understand. As it stands today, what Scott asked above holds true: “what’s the difference between Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and all these teams”? Forget about price points, band / chants, B1G TV, coaches, or even mini-donuts. A shift in recruiting like this would hit many Minnesotans in the feels and I think we’d see the beginning of a massive shift.
“He didn’t forget where he came from and all the volunteers and all the coaches who helped him get to become an All-American at Minnesota,” Micheletti said. “I think that resonated with him and stuck with him and I think he did that without even telling people that it was kind of a tribute to all of the volunteers around the state who helped coach all these kids growing up and you know didn’t get paid a penny for it. It was like, ‘OK, I owe a debt of gratitude to all of Minnesota hockey for raising these great players we have in this state.’”
TL;DR – we should restore the Minnesotans-only recruiting philosophy.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

PS – I am not a crackpot.
Not only do I agree, but with the high end talent and depth that is produced in this state, I believe we could win with an all MN roster. It is debatable, but this could be the one thing other than drastically reducing prices that could positively benefit getting butts in the seats.

The difficulty would be in finding a coach who'd commit to this recruiting practice, and would Coyle be on board?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 392 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jan 23 8:25 am

Too many Div I teams now to compete with for all that in-state talent, never mind how many high-end kids leave for UW, ND, BC, etc.

I would love an all-MN team, but imho if they could recruit a team successfully with that intention they'd already be doing it.
Currently under construction.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu Jan 23 8:41 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jan 23 8:25 am
Too many Div I teams now to compete with for all that in-state talent, never mind how many high-end kids leave for UW, ND, BC, etc.

I would love an all-MN team, but imho if they could recruit a team successfully with that intention they'd already be doing it.
Some may say we're not recruiting successfully as it is without it, so what's the difference?

As long as we stay away from taking only the Edina/Wayzata/Minnetonka kids, I would be all for taking steps to resume this practice. I don't know if you can go all-MN, but I shuddered at the SCSU game when our starting 6 were announced and I think there was only one Minnesotan on the ice. As Michelletti said: "It's just another school then."

I'd rather have a grinder from St. Paul Johnson on the ice who works his tail off every shift than a kid from Las Vegas who could light the lamp without trying with the USNDT but floats back into the d-zone. It ain't working for Bucky either.

I think we had to get away from the practice because of the recruiting race moving earlier and earlier. Now that there is some semblance of sanity back, we can look back to the practice. I think tBob would be willing to get there, but I think Coyle needs to give him the leeway and opportunity to do it-- and that starts with alumni demanding it.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 23 8:45 am

I think it comes down to this --
Would you as fans rather have the Woog years of winning lots of games, but not the National Championship
or
Would you rather have the early Lucia years with 95% Mn kids and a couple of high end out of staters and a title.

I remember the last few years of Woog, the fans were not happy. People brought signs to the game wanting him fired because of the lack of National Titles. I loved Wooger more than any coach in Gopher history, but he did not win the big one in an era where it was easier to win one than now.

I would love an all MN roster, but reality is I don't think it is possible to win a title that way. I think having 2 or 3 non MN kids is ok, but I would hope those kids are the top end kids and not 3rd or 4th liners or 3rd pair d men. If you go all MN, you better get 95% of the best MN kids. Your margin for error has to be small. I'm guessing if you polled the fans, deep down winning a title with 90% MN kids would trump an all MN roster winning B1G 10 titles and no National Championships.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Jan 23 9:23 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 23 8:45 am
Would you as fans rather have the Woog years of winning lots of games, but not the National Championship
or
Would you rather have the early Lucia years with 95% Mn kids and a couple of high end out of staters and a title.

I remember the last few years of Woog, the fans were not happy. People brought signs to the game wanting him fired because of the lack of National Titles. I loved Wooger more than any coach in Gopher history, but he did not win the big one in an era where it was easier to win one than now.

I would love an all MN roster, but reality is I don't think it is possible to win a title that way. I think having 2 or 3 non MN kids is ok, but I would hope those kids are the top end kids and not 3rd or 4th liners or 3rd pair d men. If you go all MN, you better get 95% of the best MN kids. Your margin for error has to be small. I'm guessing if you polled the fans, deep down winning a title with 90% MN kids would trump an all MN roster winning B1G 10 titles and no National Championships.
Respectfully disagree. We were 2 inches away from going all the way with the Wooger. We were also a consistent presence at the Frozen Four. And I think I read a stat about how he averaged ( :shock: !) 28 wins a season? Multiple Hobey Baker candidates and winners...there was so much to love about that era in retrospect.

To answer your question: give me the Wooger years hands-down. Winning at a consistent clip (28+ wins a season) with an all-Minnesotan roster and a swagger to boot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> two natty seasons followed by a gradual, meandering path into oblivion and apathy/obscurity.

In the end, it wasn't about the Natty's - it was about the connection to the team / state.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 367 times

Post by Jupiter » Thu Jan 23 9:32 am

I started a discussion on Twitter straight off your post DWG....

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu Jan 23 9:36 am

I'd follow up and note that part of Woog's issue was his aversion to getting kids from the USHL instead of the MSHSL. The rest of the NCAA was getting older kids and Minnesotans who played a few years of juniors before coming in, and Woog ended up having to play our 18 year old frosh against their 24 year old seniors. That was a bad deal. Lucia let in Potulny, no doubt, but also let kids play in juniors first to level the playing field.

I'm not opposed to one or two "exceptions", but we should recruit Minnesotans.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Thu Jan 23 9:51 am

As Scott Bell commented, an all MN roster might be something that would entice the top end MN recruits to stay home. Obviously whatever we've been doing lately hasn't been working.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Jan 23 10:35 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Thu Jan 23 9:36 am
I'd follow up and note that part of Woog's issue was his aversion to getting kids from the USHL instead of the MSHSL. The rest of the NCAA was getting older kids and Minnesotans who played a few years of juniors before coming in, and Woog ended up having to play our 18 year old frosh against their 24 year old seniors. That was a bad deal. Lucia let in Potulny, no doubt, but also let kids play in juniors first to level the playing field.

I'm not opposed to one or two "exceptions", but we should recruit Minnesotans.
Age as incoming freshman for 1998-99 Rostered Gophers... lot of 18-yr olds. I think only Chris Locker (who washed out), Reggie Berg, Nate Miller, Cory Miller, Bill Kohn, Brad Timmons) played significant junior hockey before heading to NCAA. Couple players like Pohl, Wendell, Miskovich just finished out their senior year in USHL.

Angell, Nick 18.93
Leopold, Jordan 18.17
Nenovich, Mark 19.23
Locker, Chris 20.98
Meyer, Doug 18.62
O'Leary, Pat 19.09
Pohl, Johnny 19.27
Wendell, Erik 19.12
Hauser, Adam 18.36
Mills, Dylan 19.30
Leimbek, Matthew 18.32
Miskovich, Aaron 19.46
Senden, Stuart 18.62
Westrum, Erik 18.20
Lyons, Mike 19.15
Trebil, Ryan 18.80
Berg, Reggie 20.05
Miller, Nate 20.34
Miller, Cory 20.57
Pagel, Rico 18.60
Spehar, Dave 18.91
Kohn, Bill 20.72
Timmons, Brad 20.42
Anderson, Michael 18.78
Smith, Wyatt 18.64

Average 19.23

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jan 23 10:54 am

The kid who scored the game winning goal in our first natty since the 70s was not a Minnesota kid.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 23 11:09 am

Thu Jan 23 9:23 am
frozen4champs wrote:
or

Respectfully disagree. We were 2 inches away from going all the way with the Wooger. We were also a consistent presence at the Frozen Four. And I think I read a stat about how he averaged ( :shock: !) 28 wins a season? Multiple Hobey Baker candidates and winners...there was so much to love about that era in retrospect.

To answer your question: give me the Wooger years hands-down. Winning at a consistent clip (28+ wins a season) with an all-Minnesotan roster and a swagger to boot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> two natty seasons followed by a gradual, meandering path into oblivion and apathy/obscurity.

In the end, it wasn't about the Natty's - it was about the connection to the team / state.
Also respectfully DISAGREE...Wooger was a GREAT GUY...but the landscape for recruiting significantly favored him & the Gophers in that era (especially compared to the last 5-10 years). When you tell a Mark Parrish that he can’t skate & a Matt Cullen that he can’t shoot & essentially kick them to the curb...and choose other players instead, you had a WEALTH of players to choose from. :M: And in particular, the team (when Brian Bonin was a senior) should have won a NC, but somehow fell short. NCAA tournament appearances matter, Frozen 4 appearances matter & National Championships matter...more than regular season results, especially for blue blood programs like MN.☝️

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 23 11:19 am

In addition, during a decent part of the Woog era, MN had no NHL team, making Gophers hockey the hot ticket in town, which helped draw fans, especially Corp bought seats. I agree the Gopher team should be predominantly MN born players. But 100% will NEVER fly in todays age. Heck, tUMD, SCSU, MSU & BSU are all mostly MN players, but nothing wrong with sprinkling in a few players from outside the state borders, in my view that additional seasoning makes the team better.
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Thu Jan 23 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jan 23 11:22 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:09 am
frozen4champs wrote:
or

Also respectfully DISAGREE...Wooger was a GREAT GUY...but the landscape for recruiting significantly favored him & the Gophers in that era (especially compared to the last 5-10 years). When you tell a Mark Parrish that he can’t skate & a Matt Cullen that he can’t shoot & essentially kick them to the curb...and choose other players instead, you had a WEALTH of players to choose from. :M: And in particular, the team (when Brian Bonin was a senior) should have won a NC, but somehow fell short. NCAA tournament appearances matter, Frozen 4 appearances matter & National Championships matter...more than regular season results, especially for blue blood programs like MN.☝️
If only it were that easy. CC was very good in the Bonin years and Michigan was a powerhouse. I think the Gophers "could have" won in his time there, but I wouldn't say "should" have won.

I do agree that recruiting has changed and some key players are coming from all over the country now. Johnson, for example, had Minnesota connections, but it seems like the Gophers are down the list for these high caliber players coming from parts unknown. You cherry picked Parrish and Cullen, but completely ignored the talent depth of those teams that included Stauber, Bonin, Olimb etc. Every coach has recruiting misses and circumstances are different year to year. Sadly, in today's recruiting it's quite possible Stauber would go to UMD, Olimb to UND and Bonin to Denver (think: Brink). :cry:

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 255 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Jan 23 11:24 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Jan 23 10:54 am
The kid who scored the game winning goal in our first natty since the 70s was not a Minnesota kid.
He also played two full seasons in the USHL.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 23 11:33 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:22 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:09 am
frozen4champs wrote:
or

If only it were that easy. CC was very good in the Bonin years and Michigan was a powerhouse. I think the Gophers "could have" won in his time there, but I wouldn't say "should" have won.

I do agree that recruiting has changed and some key players are coming from all over the country now. Johnson, for example, had Minnesota connections, but it seems like the Gophers are down the list for these high caliber players coming from parts unknown. You cherry picked Parrish and Cullen, but completely ignored the talent depth of those teams that included Stauber, Bonin, Olimb etc. Every coach has recruiting misses and circumstances are different year to year. Sadly, in today's recruiting it's quite possible Stauber would go to UMD, Olimb to UND and Bonin to Denver (think: Brink). :cry:
Can’t argue with the fact that I cherry picked two of Woogers biggest recruiting misses (in hindsight)...but with the TALENT Dougie had available to him, great guy and all, failing to win a NC in his years...I simply can’t put him in the same breath as a coach, with Herbie, tDon or the guy 150 miles to the north with a view of Lake Superior. ☝️
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Thu Jan 23 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jan 23 11:34 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:24 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
And, leadership value notwithstanding, he wasn't exactly the "can't miss" blue chip guy like Brink and Zucker were to Denver. The Potulny swat is memorable and has cemented its place in Gopher lore, but Potulny was just a beet eater from North Dakota with a slightly above average skill set playing on a ridiculously talented team. :wink: Cullen Munson could have swatted that puck in the net. :)

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 23 11:40 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:34 am
Vegoe wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
And, leadership value notwithstanding, he wasn't exactly the "can't miss" blue chip guy like Brink and Zucker were to Denver. The Potulny swat is memorable and has cemented its place in Gopher lore, but Potulny was just a beet eater from North Dakota with a slightly above average skill set playing on a ridiculously talented team. :wink: NATE MILLERcould have swatted that puck in the net. :)
FYP..let’s not get crazy streaky 😉 :lol:

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Jan 23 11:56 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
The kid who sent it into OT was.

I could do this all day. #CaptainAmerica

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Composer » Thu Jan 23 12:10 pm

:wink: Maybe you mean #CaptainMinnesota

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Jan 23 12:10 pm

I'm fine with a mostly MN recruiting model and don't want that to change drastically but we don't need to tie a hand behind our back either and go with solely MN players either.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 134 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jan 23 12:20 pm

Vegoe wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
It was more of a statement for those feeling we should be 100% Minnesotan.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by JWG » Thu Jan 23 12:28 pm

There is no way MN would succeed on an all MN roster. With 5 D1 programs in the state, plus a number of great DIII options, MN would never score enough of the top end talent to offset what it would lose in talent from out of state. We would not overcome the high end talent that selects UND or UMD, and at this point, I'm not sure we'd even sway anyone away from SCSU or Mankato.
JWG
[This space for rent]

glenhogan21
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Jan 23 12:58 pm

Agreed, The question isn’t could you compete with an all MN roster. There is enough talent to build a great team, question is how do you land all the top players, especially with late bloomers.

That said how fun would a D Corp of Perunovich, Acahn, Miller, Kierstad, Samberg, Wolfe. depressing that thinking of top 5-6 defensemen in college hockey from MN, zero are Gophers. Hopefully That changes in next couple years with Lacombe, Faber, Koster etc.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 23 1:08 pm

This is a great discussion, because there is no clear cut answer. I applaud DWG for bringing this up to have a spirited debate. It's also good there are still some of us that have the passion for the team, and that we are not just always being negative all the time. If Lucia would have come in and won with all MN kids right away, then I could have seen them keeping with the all MN kids "rule". Now, because of the state of the program, MN is in a huge battle to get the best MN kids. For the Gophers to get back on top it is going to take an all hands on deck approach. Maybe, once the Gophers are back on top , they can go back to a majority of a MN roster, and that every MR Hockey MN would be a lock to join the Gophers. All we want is to have a competitive team, and I am confident we will. It will just take more time than some want.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 23 1:13 pm

I think where we're at now was inevitable. The problem, really, is the Titles didn't come in the '80's and '90's when there was an advantage. Any such advantage is now gone. You can see it with Michigan, and Minnesota. They're getting out recruited and outworked by the smaller schools where hockey is literally the biggest (only D1) thing they've got going. They can get back to winning, and winning another title, but I think the dominant runs of the Woog years (sans NCAA Title) are over.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jan 23 1:46 pm

Michigan has had some really good local talent move through teams that went nowhere and BU's and BC's gears seem to have frozen while watching Penn State rise incredibly fast, no doubt in part seizing on some of the same regional talent pool once belonging to the eastern school big shots. What's worse is that fan interest has ebbed to new lows, as the once hot ticket in town now depreciates quickly on the street as game time nears. That doesn't help an ailing program.

If Minnesota can get back to the days of being THE school Minnesota kids want to go to, they would rebuild in no time. It doesn't help that Minnesota kids within a hundred miles of Grand Forks want to go to UND and the range kids all want to go to Duluth. That's what winning will do for you. It also doesn't help that these schools (and St. Cloud and Mankato) have gone out and got themselves some pretty competent coaching.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 23 2:02 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Jan 23 1:13 pm
I think where we're at now was inevitable. The problem, really, is the Titles didn't come in the '80's and '90's when there was an advantage. Any such advantage is now gone. You can see it with Michigan, and Minnesota. They're getting out recruited and outworked by the smaller schools where hockey is literally the biggest (only D1) thing they've got going. They can get back to winning, and winning another title, but I think the dominant runs of the Woog years (sans NCAA Title) are over.
I don’t think it was inevitable, but a bunch of factors we’ve discussed (ad nosiam) have contributed, with realignment and largely losing the FSN statewide coverage (recruiting advantage) topping the list ☝️

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 463 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jan 25 10:45 am

Bevvy with Bob episode 3.

A little discussion about his wardrobe choices. Everyone needs to eat a Reese’s pieces before the game tonight.

https://gophersports.com/news/2020/1/24 ... ode-3.aspx

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jan 25 11:10 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jan 25 10:45 am
Bevvy with Bob episode 3.

A little discussion about his wardrobe choices. Everyone needs to eat a Reese’s pieces before the game tonight.

https://gophersports.com/news/2020/1/24 ... ode-3.aspx
His name should be Cooter. :lol: That’s classic.
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jan 26 12:00 pm

So I got this in my email. I presume “ANY” means booze!:

Gopher Hockey Ticket + ANY Beverage = Just $25!!!

A B1G SERIES SWEEP OVER #6 OHIO STATE CALLS FOR A BIG TIME TICKET PACKAGE! Get your Ticket + Beverage ticket package NOW and we'll see you on February 7th & 8th as Minnesota hosts the Michigan State Spartans at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

For just $25 per ticket package (!!!), receive a ticket for a Reserved Chairback Seat and a voucher for a Beverage of Your Choice!

GOPHERS vs. Michigan State
Friday, February 7th @ 7:00pm
*Ticket Package available at just $25!*

GOPHERS vs. Michigan State
Saturday, February 8th @ 5:00pm
*Ticket Package available at just $25!*

Be sure to check out the 2019-20 Gopher Men's Hockey Promotions Schedule.

For questions, contact the Gopher Ticket Sales & Service Office at fans@gopherfanrelations.com or call 1-800-U-GOPHER. The Ticket Sales & Service Office is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and is located at the 3M Arena at Mariucci Ticket Office.

Ski-U-Mah!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Jan 26 4:02 pm

I liked the confirmation of reserved chair back seat - as if there is any other choice in Mariucci.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jan 26 5:10 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Jan 26 4:02 pm
I liked the confirmation of reserved chair back seat - as if there is any other choice in Mariucci.
Standing room I suppose; but I don’t think they sell those unless they sell out the seats.
I’m sure there are folks who have never been to a game that don’t know what the seating may be like inside. But I can’t imagine lack of a seat back would be a make or break for too many.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jan 27 3:59 pm

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Jan 27 4:16 pm

He’s such a good leader he let LaCombe get the picture instead of him.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jan 27 4:18 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Jan 27 4:16 pm
He’s such a good leader he let LaCombe get the picture instead of him.
lol 👍

Goldy77
Veteran

Post by Goldy77 » Mon Jan 27 5:07 pm

Zusseldorf?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jan 27 5:10 pm

The article starts out with the correct spelling at least twice, then the spelling errors. IIRC, they have been known to copy and paste articles from other sources in the past. Maybe she got the spelling from listening to McLeod the last few years. :D

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Jan 27 7:10 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Mon Jan 27 5:07 pm
Zusseldorf?
New type of mustard
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Jan 27 8:07 pm

Hey, the Gophers got votes in this weeks poll. They’re not in it, but got votes. People do know they exist.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JoeGopher
Rookie
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by JoeGopher » Mon Jan 27 8:37 pm

It's about time Zusseldorf steps up for the good of the program.

Come to think of it I spent 2 days in Zusseldorf, Austria this past summer drinking beer and riding a motorcycle in the alps!

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jan 27 8:38 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Zusseldorf?
That's "La-dorf."

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Jan 27 10:20 pm

Don't call her out on it though....it will be mansplaining.

Not speaking from experience or anything...

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 28 5:58 am

Goldy77 wrote:
Zusseldorf?
The first half of the article and the title are all about “Zusseldorf” and the he is abruptly missing for the second half.

:lol:

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Wed Jan 29 7:23 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jan 29 7:33 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 30 11:23 am

Hmm...The ice box is listed and BADgers aren't.

upnorthkid
Rookie
Been liked: 17 times

Post by upnorthkid » Thu Jan 30 2:07 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 30 11:23 am
Hmm...The ice box is listed and BADgers aren't.

Neither was UND. Can't say I exactly feel the list is incredibly solid (I hate UND but went to school there and the student section is always full because its Grand Forks and there's nothing else to do)

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Jan 30 2:10 pm

Michigan is one that stands out to me too. They’re always making noise, even if the band plays the fight song 100 times a game.

upnorthkid
Rookie

Post by upnorthkid » Sat Feb 01 11:06 pm

Now up to 19 in PWR after the sweep of the BADgers

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Feb 01 11:08 pm

We're comin, we're comin......(c) Mike Tice
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

upnorthkid
Rookie

Post by upnorthkid » Sun Feb 02 8:18 am

Just for fun, since it now feels like a remote possibility where before it was an absolutely not.

Personally am a fan of Jim Dahl's college hockey ranked (https://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrbywins/). Gives forecasts on wins needed and where you'd finish for those who haven't heard of it. Heading into last weekend prior to the Badger sweep, looked like we needed 8 wins to have a pretty good chance at being safe (note, the info below is prior to the Badger weekend, so the numbers will adjust some). I have listed the most likely probability based on number of wins.
So moral of the story, go over .500 the rest of he way and there will be a chance they could play their way in. Going 4-2 and it looks even more solid.
win 0 (where we are now): 100% chance 30th or worse (so don't lose out guys)
win 2: 19% chance of #24
win 4: 19% chance of #18
win 6: 23% chance of #11
win 8: 42% chance at #6

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Feb 02 9:06 am

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 332 times

Post by D2D » Sun Feb 02 2:10 pm

upnorthkid wrote:
Sat Feb 01 11:06 pm
AND with two games in hand we're now just one point out of a tie for 1st place in the B1G standings.

https://bigten.org/confstandings.aspx/2 ... th=mhockey

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but with eight regular season conference games left to play there is plenty of opportunity to finish "all alone" on top and win a trophy. To be honest, I never thought we'd be in a position to even contemplate this at the start of the new year.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

upnorthkid
Rookie

Post by upnorthkid » Sun Feb 02 3:10 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Feb 02 2:10 pm
upnorthkid wrote:
Sat Feb 01 11:06 pm
AND with two games in hand we're now just one point out of a tie for 1st place in the B1G standings.

https://bigten.org/confstandings.aspx/2 ... th=mhockey

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but with eight regular season conference games left to play there is plenty of opportunity to finish "all alone" on top and win a trophy. To be honest, I never thought we'd be in a position to even contemplate this at the start of the new year.
Couldn’t agree more. With how in shambles this team has looked at times, the turnaround has been incredible

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Feb 02 4:02 pm

It's nice to see a team in town get better as the season goes on.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 630 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Feb 02 4:10 pm

I hope the recent surge means more people inside Mariucci. Even though attendance was still relatively low against the nuts the atmosphere was more fun than it had been recently.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!