Constructive Criticism - Looking forward

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Constructive Criticism - Looking forward

Post by Hammy » Mon Mar 11 12:02 pm

I want to make a separate thread on this topic because I feel it gets lost in the midst of other discussions on this board.

Jup took some flack for posting a picture of the lack of fan presence at the games this past weekend (and he wasn't the only one I might add since I saw media members elsewhere doing it on their own). I feel any criticism of what he did is wrong and ripping him for doing it has a "cover your ass" mentality.

Where the U has gone wrong is they haven’t shown enough of an understanding of their core hockey fans. The U clearly had the attitude that the hockey fans would continue to accept things “as is” without the school having to make any significant adjustments on their end after the conference changes happened. They felt they could continue with “business as usual”. They were wrong. They should have recognized a while ago that they were going to need to be more aggressive with making some fan friendly changes. Not taking little actions… but taking more significant actions.

If this last weekend’s attendance wakes them up to reality and gets them to make more dramatic changes for the better, then drawing attention to an issue isn't a "bad" thing. Constructive criticism that something needs to change is where positive changes often occur. Burying your head in the sand and saying nothing doesn't help. (Yes... opinions should be balanced... give credit for the positive too!)

It is really up to the athletic department leaders to determine the outcome in these situations. If they don’t step up and make changes, it will continue to be a negative on them. If they step up and make some big/positive changes, then it becomes a positive for them.

Of course... we also have to be realistic about what can and cannot be done too. Looking backward and lamenting what once was doesn’t fix anything… nor will making misguided suggestions that are complete fantasy fix anything (i.e. “We have to go back to the WCHA!”, "We should tell the Big Ten to pound sand!")

I think intelligent/knowledgeable fans understand why there was a conference change. They also understand that the school wasn’t going to tell the B1G to “pound sand” because of one athletic team when the overall athletic department rakes in a ton of money from that conference affiliation. The school did what was necessary from a 10,000 foot strategic perspective. You can’t look at these things based on a hockey “bubble” perspective. It has to be a broader perspective than that.

We have a head coach that clearly has the right vision. I feel very confident that the on-ice product will be great again with him at the helm. But the athletic department beyond that has to step up to match what he is doing. Reasonably (and fairly!) highlighting something that needs to get better is not wrong.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: Constructive Criticism - Looking forward

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 12:13 pm

Ticket prices need to drop a little. I understand the need for tiered pricing, it makes financial sense, but those upper limits are insane. Also, drop the SRO prices. $30 (IIRC) to not even get the right to a seat is way too much.

Alcohol sales have been discussed ad nauseum, so I'll skip commenting on that.

For STH, the required donation thing is kind of a joke. I get it's for tax purposes (at least it was, dunno if that still rings true with the ever-changing tax laws), but c'mon.

More band. More band. More band. Make the "college experience" just that. A college experience. IMO, when the band gets going, the students get into it, and that bleeds into the crowd.

Push back a little on some of these game times. Now, for me personally, this doesn't make a difference, but I'd rather have a full arena and no TV for a 7pm game than have what we had this past weekend.

Finally, maybe get someone to engage with other social media. Todd Milewski (reporter for WI) does Facebook Live after WI games, which I think is really cool. GPL shouldn't be the only place with a podcast/recap/etc. If the U could somehow help out with that, it would get more fans involved, I think.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 12:18 pm

Didn't we have a similar thread a few months back? Not much has changed.

The decision to not include playoff tickets in the ST package shows no understanding of the convenience consumers expect in 2019 and the fact that we already pay more than anyone else. Those ST that have stuck around should be treated well.

Based on attendance numbers I saw ST got ticket for the other Big Ten series.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 11 12:24 pm

Their own email system bit them in the ass...

They send out so many emails that many STH have changed their preferences to not get all the crap they send out. So when they sent out an email to the STH’s telling them how to get their $25 tickets for this past weekend. Many never received the email.

If they would have logged in to their account, their tickets would have been waiting for them. But as you can see, most didn’t do that.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Mon Mar 11 12:26 pm

We probably did have a similar thread. People can use this however they'd like. I am OK with that

My intent here is more about having an open discussion about what is fair and what is not fair with regard to whether something gets highlighted or not. I absolutely disagree with the notion that if you point out something that is not a positive (there's no question the attendance this last weekend was not a positive), then you aren't doing the right thing.

If all somebody does is talk about the negative, I can see dismissing their opinion (or being angry about their negativity). But when somebody with a balanced perspective (who praises the positive) draws attention to something that needs to improve? I don't believe that is bad.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 12:43 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 12:24 pm
Their own email system bit them in the ass...

They send out so many emails that many STH have changed their preferences to not get all the crap they send out. So when they sent out an email to the STH’s telling them how to get their $25 tickets for this past weekend. Many never received the email.

If they would have logged in to their account, their tickets would have been waiting for them. But as you can see, most didn’t do that.
People get tons of emails. Even if they were all still opted in your open rate won't be 100%, and I would say that even if everyone received the email attendance still would have been very ugly.

I'd also guess that less than 25% of recipients are in an opted out status. Probably more like 10% if that. Many people just delete everything if they know something important could come from the same sender.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 11 12:48 pm

I know I have heard Coyle and others talk that the scholarship seating is here to stay...and they use it as sort of a guise of transparency. I.E. we take this much off of your tickets for this use, so we are going to tell you that's what's happening instead of just raising the base ticket prices and not saying that's why.

The questions will be if they can step back some of those ticket prices overall. It's a conundrum because in some ways you want to make sure its easier for people to get single game tickets if the season ticket base is shrinking. Yet, if you make it too easy to get single game tickets that you devalue season tickets you have negative feedback going that way.
But I don't know if they can just slash prices across the board....they may need to to get people back, but I have a hard time seeing them deciding to do that.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 86 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 12:50 pm

I know I have my emails from the Athletic Dept. redirected to my "promotions" box for that exact reason, I don't read them because they generally don't tell me something I don't already know (game times, recaps, next opponents) and if I want tickets they're not exactly hard to find. But yeah I could see how that would be an issue.

Did Jup actually get grief (from the U) for posting the picture? If so that's laughable, it's more newsworthy than the emails the Athletic Dept. sends out even if it isn't the most positive thing. It got picked up by citypages and my friend from work who casually follows the team messaged me the tweet with the pic as well. I appreciate an honest assessment of where things are at with the program even if it isn't always 100% positive, I don't need the homer propaganda version of Gopher Hockey (this is probably the most annoying aspect of access media in general, if you don't always say positive things about the team even when they suck they won't let you in on interviews or do your job essentially).

As for my constructive criticism I think it's all mostly been said in the Mariucci thread, I don't think there is any easy answer other than some of the obvious things they could do (sell alcohol, lower the prices until attendance starts picking up again). They clearly need to get a younger crowd in there and make it more of a college gameday atmosphere but I don't pretend to know exactly how to accomplish that. I don't want it to be a full out drunk fest like the final five was but at least allow some risque cheers and get Goldy more involved in working the crowd. Obviously students aren't attending as much either, maybe listen to them and see what they have to say. I think some of the issue with attendance and atmosphere is just a matter of momentum, it's just not fun to attend when you're one of the only people cheering into a gigantic void of 5000 people sitting on their hands and this last weekend appears to be the epitome of that trend.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

ZCar Guy

Post by ZCar Guy » Mon Mar 11 12:51 pm

I will go positive. The best thing that happened this weekend (other than winning 2 games) is Coach Motzko sending the players over to salute the students after the Saturday game. That was good to see!

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 11 12:51 pm

They will be changing the e-mail system this summer. Basicially this new marketing staff took over about 2 years ago and were shocked at how bad things were. The U previously had no solid record keeping of any transactions other then season tickets. There was no system in place to talk between ticket sales/marketing, etc. They are in the process of putting a new system together for both media marketing and ticketing that should go live this summer and hopefully will be a significant upgrade, but this is just another example of why its way too late.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 11 12:54 pm

Just grief from Pat Micheletti

upnorthkid
Rookie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by upnorthkid » Mon Mar 11 1:00 pm

Was at the game Saturday. It was ugly to see that many empty seats. Fans that were there were vocal and clearly invested, but just lacking in number. Agree with many that there are a multitude of reasons for declining attendance. Ticket prices are painful for people in general, both from a season ticket standpoint and from a single game price. The atmosphere is relatively anemic with the piped in music and trying to make the experience more NHL like rather than what it is, a college atmosphere. If you're going to make it NHL like, you need to have the experts capable of making it happen (the DJ bit on Saturday was particularly painful) and employ people (the gameday host that I forget the name of is trying, but there's not a ton to work with when the bits are terrible) to do so, which costs money that the U has shown they are not willing to invest.

Overall the U has bungled this one to the point where a major overhaul is needed. Pricing needs a revamp, both for season tickets and for concessions in the arena for the quality of food they're offering. Single game tickets need to be more reasonable if you're going to have a diminished season ticket holder base (particularly if a ton of those are corporate who may not show up) in order to fill greater numbers in the stands in order to make the atmosphere not awful.

All of this comes down to the U needing to realize that 1. they are not the only show in town and thus people will pick the product with the greatest entertainment value they perceive for the price point and 2. that with the advent of TV, there needs to be something about the in person event that makes you want to be there. They have shown an absolute lack of understanding of that so far and it doesn't make me optimistic at all they will realize this, but will instead rely on the team being fantastic and hope people come back, which wasn't the case even when they were rolling the Big Ten at the start of the BTHC.

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by gopheritall » Mon Mar 11 1:07 pm

I didn't receive the emails but I think that Comcast email views them as spam or virus (since I couldn't find them in spam either). I changed my email to a gmail account and have received emails since. Perhaps the way they send out emails get them interpreted as spam.

Early in the year (while I was still getting them) I responded to some of the "thanks for coming" emails that STH get with both praise and, what I considered, constructive criticism. I know that MOST people don't respond to those. You would think that if the U was interested in STH feedback they would have found a way to reach out to the fans that voiced concerns. No response makes me wonder if they even read them.

I am OK with the B1G conference but think they are making a fatal mistake in allowing the B1G to drive everything and treat the hockey base exactly like BB and Football. I get those sports waiting to sell post-season tickets but hockey should have them built in to the STH package. I know that the "donations" and play will likely cause the STH to my left to not renew (they barely attended any games this year) and had those to my right discussing not renewing.

They HAVE started to do a few things such as offering STHs tickets to the poorly sold games last year (not sure if that was available this year). That needs to continue until tickets become harder to get.

The U needs to get more students there, period. Students have the energy and vigor that older fans do not. Get them there and get them loud. Tickets to student STH should have been free this past weekend by design. When sales were so bad, tickets should have been free to all students. I TOTALLY understand that the B1G set prices and such but the U needs to go to off season meetings with this as a major issue. I have not done research to see what attendance at other schools were this last weekend, but if they were like ours then the B1G should listen. If they were fine and we were the exception then the U needs to look in the mirror.

Perhaps the men's team needs to do what the women's team does and offer deals to get kids there. I would love to see a certain number of seats actively sent to kids teams. Get them to the arena, have them make signs, get them on the scoreboard, get Goldy over by them, they will love it and go crazy. Those kids are what turns into paying fans later in life.

I couldn't care less if they sold beer and other alcohol at the games. If they did, I might have a few over the season. However, I do foresee issues with drunk fans. I will not like having to deal with drunks near me and if that becomes the case I will reach out to the U to address it. Personally, I don't see alcohol sales driving season tickets.

Getting your tickets as a PDF to get them to others is better than the 1st year. I did it for Saturday against ASU because I couldn't attend and gave them away. A sunk cost for me so no need to get anything back.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 1:09 pm

Lol, yeah I just looked at some of his replies, it's all your fault Jup you need to have solutions whenever you point out a problem! ;)

Like I said, certain reporters have to carry water for the team to get media access. It's probably the most annoying thing about NHL local coverage (Pittsburgh especially), you just get a bunch of guys carrying water and defending every poor decision the GM/execs make and you get the North Korea propaganda version of coverage in which your team always is the most talented team but just got really unlucky every year they don't succeed. Or it's just the effort of the best players on the team (who clearly aren't the problem). If they get overly critical the team can just pull their badge in which case good luck conducting interviews or other aspects of your job that you previously had access to.
Last edited by trixR4kids on Mon Mar 11 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopheritall
Golden
Golden

Post by gopheritall » Mon Mar 11 1:10 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 12:54 pm
I know I said that you were right to post the pic and it was a good sign to have Pat care enough to call you out. However, I don't like getting yelled at any more than anyone else. I do feel bad that you took the brunt of it.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by team22tank » Mon Mar 11 1:18 pm

gopheritall wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:10 pm
Jupiter wrote:
I know I said that you were right to post the pic and it was a good sign to have Pat care enough to call you out. However, I don't like getting yelled at any more than anyone else. I do feel bad that you took the brunt of it.
Most probably do not know Pat personally. There is no question he is a fiery, high strung guy. The Rat in him has not gone away.

He loves this program as much as anyone and will never give up on it no matter what. He is probably extermely frustrated with the state of things. And it probably drives him nuts that some player alumni have flat out quit on the program and have acknowledged that.

I wasn't there to experience his run in with Jup and that is a bummer. However I bet Jup can agree that no one cares more than Pat and if more alumni were around like him and shared the passion it could only help.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Mar 11 1:22 pm

I have long felt the gameday experience has moved from a student-focused experience to a consumer-focused experience. When you remove the student band and you try standardizing the student section with a club, you are doing it wrong. If I want to go to a Wild game, I will go to a Wild game. What sets college hockey apart is the college part-- and it feels like we're trying to do a Wild-lite instead. We need to get back to making hockey the focus-- I believe it is no coincidence that the attendance has dwindled since the gameday focus has moved apart from the game itself. The U has sold its soul for the casual fan, which is where the growth may be, but in the process, has completely alienated the hockey fan. Now that has come home to roost.

Start with getting the students back into the games. They should be loud. They should be creative. Don't try to organize it from the athletic department-- rather, create a buzz that hockey games should be the social scene and create a demand among students, and lower ticket prices for them until the student section is full both nights, then expand the student section. That will drive the experience the right way. Let the band be organic and crazy and let them, together with the cheerleaders, drive the gameday experience-- this should be about the students, not anyone else. And you need to create a buzz on campus-- make it the place to be by use of social media-- not with graphics and images, but with videos and memes from an organic way that is not necessarily PC in that athletic communications way. Are the Cameron Crazies struggling at Duke? Because that is what we used to be, and what we have whittled away significantly over the last 15 years.

To improve the rest of the gameday experience, yes, sell beer to the common folks-- that is a no brainer-- but what about a club area for the casual fan to grab a drink before the game and talk/discuss hockey? Can the Blueline Club be a partner in this? With the loss of Campus Pizza, Big 10, and other longtime campus institutions to talk hockey, the pregame experience has lost its hockey-focused feel, and we have no single place to go to chat about this weekends' games.

What set Mariucci apart when it opened was that it was a museum of Minnesota hockey with a serious focus of Pride on Ice. After almost 30 years, it remains a museum, but a dated one. The museum needs to be updated and upgraded, and I don't mean by putting more modern history to it-- rather, rethink how things are presented. There is lots of unused wall space that could be considered there. That will bring back some of its nostalgia and add some charm.

Someone has mentioned upgrading the lighting to keep focus on the ice. I think there are lots of ways lighting can be improved (though the current lighting is very good for the rink), so I will defer to an expert or artist on that. But I think there are opportunities there.

In positivity, the team tried doing some outreach for what felt like in the first time in forever by doing practices in Roseville and St. Louis Park. To maintain the title of Minnesota's Pride on Ice, you have to be local-- the substantial majority of these players grew up in these rinks, which provides a sense of community ownership. When they are at our local rinks interacting with our local kids, both the local kids and their parents now have a connection to the team and the players. That goes a long way in selling the program now and in the future. But it shows how we have lost that connection over the past 20 years-- not because of intention but because of negligence as nobody has bothered to maintain it as a focus of the program. I would say keep that up-- the more the Gophers can be out selling hockey, the more it sells the program in return. My4-year old mite nephew is a fan for life after racing Sammy Walker down the ice in Roseville. But that is what it takes.

I have been going to games at the old rink and new for over 35 years. It is a part of my family. It will survive, as it is too embedded into families like mine to waste away. But I fear the loss of the next generation if things don't change.

Gopherrube
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Gopherrube » Mon Mar 11 1:30 pm

I think one of the largest problems is the contingency of so called "fans" who continue to complain about the Big Ten, and reverting back to their whining about bringing back the WCHA. That is never going to happen, either support the Team and the Boys or don't, it's pretty simple really.

I will agree with a lot of the above posts about the piped in music, that to me doesn't remind me of Mariucci growing up. If i want to hear AC DC blaring in a hockey rink, i'll go to the 4 Seasons in Owatonna whenever i want.

Also, start serving beer and lower ticket prices.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 1:41 pm

Ya know I am kind of sick of hearing how serving beer will help. They serve beer at football games it isnt making fans show up in any bigger numbers than they did before. The people there would be there anyways they just buy beer now. On the list of things that I think could help I am not sure that ranks in the Top 5 and the difference would be negligible.

The thing is I am not sure if there is any one solution that will fix this. The U will never be able to slash prices enough to get some fans back even if the product takes the step forward we expect it to. I just dont think the motivation is there from the old guard to buy season tickets anymore. I think a lot of them were wavering but the rivalries kept them going and once that went away they stopped caring. They used the shift (and the reseating) as a jumping off point and once STHs stop going it is twice as hard to win them back. Winning will help but I am not sure it will sustain.

It should be noted I think that will be the case with all sports in college in the future. I think the Season Ticket model is going to die a slow painful death. There just isnt the urgency for people to go to games like there used to be. Why drive out of my way to sit way far away when I can be at home and see it in 4K right up in the action? Why pay for $9 for a drink when I have a full bottle 20 feet away and can not cause any problems? Why pay for a full season's worth of games when I only really care about 2-3 teams? To us these questions seem a bit off but there is a reason why students across the country seem to be less into being their live than they used to be.

Back on the U though if they want to fix the problem they need to take a multiple pronged attack. If they want people to buy season tickets they need to make it financially logical to do so. With Mariucci's size the chances of a legit sellout arent that great considering the competition (and there will be empties anyways unless say UND comes to town) so there isnt pressure to need season tickets to get into the arena like there used to be. (even though back then getting single game tickets wasnt exactly hard) If that is the case you need to make it significantly cheaper to buy season tickets than it would be if you bought single game tickets. I dont know how the economics of it work out but the STH should be rewarded for buying ST. (and I dont mean the stupid Gopher Points prizes which almost always suck) Maybe a tiered discount based on tenure...I dunno but you have to entice people. Right now the team itself is not enough.

Also, in all sports, they need to court the STHs they lost back. This is going to take work and many different types of solutions and none of them are going to be a catch all. First they need to offer a reciprocity for anyone who dropped after the Teague plan went into effect. Allow people to get back their Gopher points and their priority if they re-up in the next 2 years. (or however much time you feel is needed) That is just the baseline though because no one will do it just for that. In hockey the first thing I would do is to wipe away the re-seating. By that I mean lets say Tom Smith had seats in Section 18 for ten years and dropped them because of the cash grab, if those seats are open he should be able to go back to them starting next year. It may not work but it is worth a try dangit. The seats had sentimental value and if even only 10% of them said yes that is a significant amount.

Second, roll back the donations. The new tax rules screwed up an already screwed up plan so get rid of it for a while. This is for all sports. There is a better way to do it so spend a few years researching it, let the goodwill build and the teams (hopefully) improve and go from there. In the current climate it just isnt going to work.

Give STHs a discount when they purchase more tickets whether single game or ST. They might do this now I dont know but if they dont they are stupid. The #1 complaint is how expensive this would be for a family to attend. Well make it cheaper then. And I dont just mean give them 10% off at Goldy's Lockerroom or the concessions I mean make purchasing more give you more for your money. (you can do this for single game and package deals as well) Hell say kids under 10 get a ticket for free if they come with their parents. I dont know how to work out the logistics all I know is an easy way to fix this is get kids in the door. If kids come their parents come with them. Make the overall cost cheaper for the group and the seats get filled.

In the non STH way I would say bringing back SRO is an easy way to fix the actual attendance issue. Charge a decent price for SRO and plenty of people will go and they will sit in the unoccupied seats.

The big thing though is find out what it will take to get the most amount of students to show up. Saturday Section 14 was half full but those that were there were very into the game and Mariucci despite being empty felt more vibrant than it did any other game I went to this year. (or really in the last X amount of years) Mariucci goes where the students go so whatever it takes to get them through the doors needs to be done.

I am sure most of my ideas suck, they are off the top of my head without any knowledge of what the school needs or if the average fan will even care. I just know the usual ideas arent going to work they need to go very radical to get people to notice.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 1:45 pm

The people there would be there anyways they just buy beer now
So they'd make more revenue, please tell me how this is a bad thing...
Last edited by trixR4kids on Mon Mar 11 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 1:46 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:18 pm
gopheritall wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:10 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Most probably do not know Pat personally. There is no question he is a fiery, high strung guy. The Rat in him has not gone away.

He loves this program as much as anyone and will never give up on it no matter what. He is probably extermely frustrated with the state of things. And it probably drives him nuts that some player alumni have flat out quit on the program and have acknowledged that.

I wasn't there to experience his run in with Jup and that is a bummer. However I bet Jup can agree that no one cares more than Pat and if more alumni were around like him and shared the passion it could only help.
I think we all agree that Pat loves the U and has every right to be frustrated. I think we all just wish he focused it on who the problem is not Jup ;)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 11 1:46 pm

I just listened to Dave Schwartz on with Tenna B talk about this. I can't believe how uninformed or misinformed they both are about the Big Ten Hockey conference and why Minnesota is a part of it. They both say that conference realignment is the biggest reason for the attendance issues. The jokers that called in said the same thing, and one jackbag who said he has been going to games for over 30 years said Minnesota should leave the Big Ten and go back to the WCHA!!

While Gopher hockey has some of the most passionate fans I am beginning to think they may be a large section of some of the dumbest fans of the sport. I have always lamented how dumb I think Maverick fans are but most of them realize the truth which is Minnesota had NO choice but to join the BTHC.

Now that I have that rant over I am with most all people that ticket prices is the best place to start to get people back in the seats from the administration. Motzko is taking care of the second best thing that can be done by improving the on ice product, the past month should give every Gopher fan belief in that. But ticket prices need to come down especially for students and like Rube mentioned the SRO need to be set so that if you aren't going to get something to put your butt in then you shouldn't need to pay like your are.

I would love to see Vegoe write a story to really breakdown how the formation of the BTHC went down but I'm not sure if our half crazed fan base would believe the truth of it all. So many seem like love lorne teenagers who are going to hold on to the idea that their first love will come back to them someday.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 1:49 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:45 pm
Right but we arent talking about revenue, we are talking about how to get people to actually go to games. If they are only going to go so they can overpay for a Nordeast Pounder they arent the fans worth courting.

Beer isnt the problem that needs to be fixed. If they chose to serve beer tomorrow it wouldnt fix any problem all it would do is give the U (a little) more money which is nice but really does nothing. I am all for it but for the purposes of how to change the current state of affairs it doesnt really register.
Last edited by Handyman on Mon Mar 11 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 1:49 pm

The beer thing would increase revenue, though, and might help defray user costs for other things. It's not just about letting people have a beer or two.

As for students, do whatever it takes to get them in the door. Heck, take the student section and make it first come, first serve, free tickets, on a per-game basis. I'm guessing that most buy concessions, and that would help offset the cost of the free ticket.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 1:52 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:49 pm
The beer thing would increase revenue, though, and might help defray user costs for other things. It's not just about letting people have a beer or two.

As for students, do whatever it takes to get them in the door. Heck, take the student section and make it first come, first serve, free tickets, on a per-game basis. I'm guessing that most buy concessions, and that would help offset the cost of the free ticket.
It doesnt defray costs for football and they sell more beer most likely for one game than hockey will in a month of games. Even with the markup the revenue from the sales is not that high.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 1:53 pm

Ok, thanks. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 1:53 pm

Handyman wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:45 pm
Right but we arent talking about revenue, we are talking about how to get people to actually go to games. If they are only going to go so they can overpay for a Nordeast Pounder they arent the fans worth courting.

Beer isnt the problem that needs to be fixed. If they chose to serve beer tomorrow it wouldnt fix any problem all it would do is give the U (a little) more money which is nice but really does nothing. I am all for it but for the purposes of how to change the current state of affairs it doesnt really register.
It's a small easily fixable thing that will help generate more revenue and probably gets a few more people in the door (on time even!). It's not meant to fix every single issue related to Gopher Hockey and obviously bigger fixes are needed for those things. It's just part of the gameday experience for a lot of people, would anyone actually attend a Twins Game if they couldn't drink? I guarantee attendance would be even worse if that was the case :lol:

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 11 1:55 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:22 pm
I have long felt the gameday experience has moved from a student-focused experience to a consumer-focused experience. When you remove the student band and you try standardizing the student section with a club, you are doing it wrong. If I want to go to a Wild game, I will go to a Wild game. What sets college hockey apart is the college part-- and it feels like we're trying to do a Wild-lite instead. We need to get back to making hockey the focus-- I believe it is no coincidence that the attendance has dwindled since the gameday focus has moved apart from the game itself. The U has sold its soul for the casual fan, which is where the growth may be, but in the process, has completely alienated the hockey fan. Now that has come home to roost.

Start with getting the students back into the games. They should be loud. They should be creative. Don't try to organize it from the athletic department-- rather, create a buzz that hockey games should be the social scene and create a demand among students, and lower ticket prices for them until the student section is full both nights, then expand the student section. That will drive the experience the right way. Let the band be organic and crazy and let them, together with the cheerleaders, drive the gameday experience-- this should be about the students, not anyone else. And you need to create a buzz on campus-- make it the place to be by use of social media-- not with graphics and images, but with videos and memes from an organic way that is not necessarily PC in that athletic communications way. Are the Cameron Crazies struggling at Duke? Because that is what we used to be, and what we have whittled away significantly over the last 15 years.
During my time as a student at the U, I felt like they did everything they could to get me less interested as a hockey fan;

There was a policy you could only purchase 1 night, Friday or Saturday, not both. So we got other people to buy tickets and used them. They you had to have a student ID to match the name on the ticket, so you were limited to 1 night only. That, to me, is when the empty student seats started. Certain cheers and songs got eliminated (some maybe rightfully so - gary glitter?) that most students knew; post-penalty cheer for example. The band seemed to miss more nights than in the past.

By the time I graduated, I cared a little less about Gopher Hockey than when I started college.

People laugh every time I post this and don't believe me. The my Wild season ticket, that I split, is $55/seat. It should not cost more than that to go to a Gopher game. There are opportunities to see the Gophers for $25-$30, and I went twice this year; St. Lawrence & Ferris State. Other games were $40 typically, with some games (Wisconsin for example) being $60+. I would be more interested in going to the "lesser" games if it also means I can see them VS Wisconsin, UND, or some other rival. But I am also not willing to pay $60/seat to go watch a college hockey game regardless of place in standings.

So the Athletic Department, by way of keeping me from 1/2 the home games while I was a student and "tweaking" the experience, then jacking up ticket prices, has done a fine job of turning a former die-hard into a casual fan.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 1:59 pm

I guess I hope enough little changes would add up to an overall big change. I don't *think* we need drastic changes, I could be wrong. Just start nickel and diming things, and it will improve.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopheritall
Golden
Golden

Post by gopheritall » Mon Mar 11 2:00 pm

The Rube wrote:

Combine the 2. No students get carded for beer sales! It would have worked on me when I was at the U. :)

I totally get the thought that beer sales will account for the revenue needed rather than higher ticket prices. For that alone, I would support it. However, the U must clearly be at a point where lower ticket prices might result in more overall revenue. They sure do have their work cut out for them as they have built up some negativity with fans.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 2:01 pm

The Gary Glitter thing is stupid...even worse now that they played Michael Jackson on saturday :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopheritall
Golden
Golden

Post by gopheritall » Mon Mar 11 2:03 pm

So...who has enough pull with the U to find out if they are interested in hearing from the fan base? What is the best way to communicate with them?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 2:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:59 pm
I guess I hope enough little changes would add up to an overall big change. I don't *think* we need drastic changes, I could be wrong. Just start nickel and diming things, and it will improve.
Little things arent enough...they help but lowering ticket prices alone wont get people to show up. They had games you could get tickets for $20 and those sections didnt sell out. This is a major problem.

Did hockey have a plan like football did for a few games where if you bought like 4 frozen pizzas (forget which brand) you got a free ticket tot he game? Hockey needs to try stuff like that for some of these games.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 2:07 pm

gopheritall wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:03 pm
So...who has enough pull with the U to find out if they are interested in hearing from the fan base? What is the best way to communicate with them?
You can send stuff to fan relations...but I would cc Coyle on it too. mcoyle@umn.edu

Hell just write an email and forward a link to this thread ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 2:16 pm

Fightclub raises a lot of good points that I forgot about as a student, I would've gladly gotten both nights at the time but I basically had to purchase single game tickets for the 2nd night separately at the time. Not a big deal for me but I had a certain level of dedication as a student that others didn't. Those policies might've made sense in 2006 when the program was near its apex (and college hockey in general was doing a lot better) but there's no reason those policies should exist anymore.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 11 2:19 pm

For about half of the current season. A student ticket for either night could be used for any night.

So many students were not using their tickets, that they just allowed both nights to show up whenever they wanted due to lack of students showing up.

FYI.... Saturday student tickets were sold out this season. Friday they only had about 100 available.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Mon Mar 11 2:46 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:22 pm

To improve the rest of the gameday experience, yes, sell beer to the common folks-- that is a no brainer-- but what about a club area for the casual fan to grab a drink before the game and talk/discuss hockey? Can the Blueline Club be a partner in this? With the loss of Campus Pizza, Big 10, and other longtime campus institutions to talk hockey, the pregame experience has lost its hockey-focused feel, and we have no single place to go to chat about this weekends' games.

What set Mariucci apart when it opened was that it was a museum of Minnesota hockey with a serious focus of Pride on Ice. After almost 30 years, it remains a museum, but a dated one. The museum needs to be updated and upgraded, and I don't mean by putting more modern history to it-- rather, rethink how things are presented. There is lots of unused wall space that could be considered there. That will bring back some of its nostalgia and add some charm.

Someone has mentioned upgrading the lighting to keep focus on the ice. I think there are lots of ways lighting can be improved (though the current lighting is very good for the rink), so I will defer to an expert or artist on that. But I think there are opportunities there.

In positivity, the team tried doing some outreach for what felt like in the first time in forever by doing practices in Roseville and St. Louis Park. To maintain the title of Minnesota's Pride on Ice, you have to be local-- the substantial majority of these players grew up in these rinks, which provides a sense of community ownership. When they are at our local rinks interacting with our local kids, both the local kids and their parents now have a connection to the team and the players. That goes a long way in selling the program now and in the future. But it shows how we have lost that connection over the past 20 years-- not because of intention but because of negligence as nobody has bothered to maintain it as a focus of the program. I would say keep that up-- the more the Gophers can be out selling hockey, the more it sells the program in return. My4-year old mite nephew is a fan for life after racing Sammy Walker down the ice in Roseville. But that is what it takes.

I have been going to games at the old rink and new for over 35 years. It is a part of my family. It will survive, as it is too embedded into families like mine to waste away. But I fear the loss of the next generation if things don't change.

This is a GREAT Post with many good ideas. I have been a fan since 1971 and I loved the Old Mariucci. Part of my disdain for all the price increases is that the money does NOT go only to the Hockey program It goes into the Athletic program. Even $$$ you donate directly to HOCKEY does not necessarily go there. When we moved to the new rink we knew the prices for tickets would continue to go up, as we had to pay for the arena.

We are STILL Paying for it, and the TCF Stadium, and the New Football facility, and the new Baseball field, when does it stop? Just because Hockey was the cash cow moneymaker... they have bled it dry. I was priced out when they did the re-seating and I had to move my seat. $600 for one seat went to $900 for one seat. I am now approaching retirement age and I do watch the team on TV or listen on the radio, once in a while I can get a pair of tickets to attend.
But they are squeezing us out and I am not a happy fan.

I hope they can turn this around, because I loved the old ways of things... The crowd loud and sassy! Chanting, more BAND, less piped in garbage. And a bottle of water should not cost $5!

I do know that things were cheaper back in the old days, but they were more fun then too. The Blue Line Club is all but dead, they need volunteers! Maybe all of you young ones could revive that, but it will take work.

Good luck with all of this, you have my support.

Carol
QoGH
.06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Mon Mar 11 2:56 pm

As an addendum, I don't mind the B1G, back in the early 1970's most of them were in our league anyway. Loved playing some of those teams.

So just drop that if you are finding fault with the league. Please! The Gophers have a long history of playing Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State! Hell, even Notre Dame was with us too.

I just hope it's not too late.

QoGH
.06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 21 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 11 2:57 pm

gopheritall wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:07 pm
I didn't receive the emails but I think that Comcast email views them as spam or virus (since I couldn't find them in spam either). I changed my email to a gmail account and have received emails since. Perhaps the way they send out emails get them interpreted as spam.

Early in the year (while I was still getting them) I responded to some of the "thanks for coming" emails that STH get with both praise and, what I considered, constructive criticism. I know that MOST people don't respond to those. You would think that if the U was interested in STH feedback they would have found a way to reach out to the fans that voiced concerns. No response makes me wonder if they even read them.

I am OK with the B1G conference but think they are making a fatal mistake in allowing the B1G to drive everything and treat the hockey base exactly like BB and Football. I get those sports waiting to sell post-season tickets but hockey should have them built in to the STH package. I know that the "donations" and play will likely cause the STH to my left to not renew (they barely attended any games this year) and had those to my right discussing not renewing.

They HAVE started to do a few things such as offering STHs tickets to the poorly sold games last year (not sure if that was available this year). That needs to continue until tickets become harder to get.

The U needs to get more students there, period. Students have the energy and vigor that older fans do not. Get them there and get them loud. Tickets to student STH should have been free this past weekend by design. When sales were so bad, tickets should have been free to all students. I TOTALLY understand that the B1G set prices and such but the U needs to go to off season meetings with this as a major issue. I have not done research to see what attendance at other schools were this last weekend, but if they were like ours then the B1G should listen. If they were fine and we were the exception then the U needs to look in the mirror.

Perhaps the men's team needs to do what the women's team does and offer deals to get kids there. I would love to see a certain number of seats actively sent to kids teams. Get them to the arena, have them make signs, get them on the scoreboard, get Goldy over by them, they will love it and go crazy. Those kids are what turns into paying fans later in life.

I couldn't care less if they sold beer and other alcohol at the games. If they did, I might have a few over the season. However, I do foresee issues with drunk fans. I will not like having to deal with drunks near me and if that becomes the case I will reach out to the U to address it. Personally, I don't see alcohol sales driving season tickets.

Getting your tickets as a PDF to get them to others is better than the 1st year. I did it for Saturday against ASU because I couldn't attend and gave them away. A sunk cost for me so no need to get anything back.
You can get any of your tickets this way online. Many people don't use it.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 11 3:00 pm

In general, the U doesn't care about tickets scanned, sicen they have the revenue from the sold portion. Since they didn't sell the playoffs until the end of the seaosn, it showed the apathy people have and choose to go elsewhere.

upnorthkid
Rookie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by upnorthkid » Mon Mar 11 3:19 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:19 pm
For about half of the current season. A student ticket for either night could be used for any night.

So many students were not using their tickets, that they just allowed both nights to show up whenever they wanted due to lack of students showing up.

FYI.... Saturday student tickets were sold out this season. Friday they only had about 100 available.
Correct. The tickets are selling. The gameday experience just blows

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 11 3:35 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:16 pm
Fightclub raises a lot of good points that I forgot about as a student, I would've gladly gotten both nights at the time but I basically had to purchase single game tickets for the 2nd night separately at the time. Not a big deal for me but I had a certain level of dedication as a student that others didn't. Those policies might've made sense in 2006 when the program was near its apex (and college hockey in general was doing a lot better) but there's no reason those policies should exist anymore.
We occasionally tried to get standing room only tickets and then either stand by the students or find an empty seat (harder to do then, haha). But more often than not we'd just go see CPHockeyMan for a pizza and pops on our "off night".

But the whole name on the ticket has to match name on ID thing was a major downer. We knew of people buying a whole season strictly for the UND or Wisconsin games because they were UND or Wisconsin fans and it was cheaper to buy a whole student season than buying secondary market tickets. In previous years they let people use their tickets for all the other games. With the new policy there was an empty seat for all the games except 1-2 series. That's one of the things that really bugged me the most.

I don't know what that policy prevented... Students buying tickets for non-students? Okay, just show a student ID... At UMD you had to swipe your ID to enter to make sure you were still a valid student, not an alumni, etc. The technology cannot be that hard to add. Did it prevent someone's ticket from getting stolen? Can't they deactivate the ticket, and re-activate a new one if someone reports their ticket stolen or missing? Again technology that cannot be difficult to add. I have no idea what they were trying to prevent, or prove by insisting only THAT person could show up for those games, which were at the time still assigned seats.

Additionally, it was a lottery system and no benefit for number of games attended. So even if you didn't miss a single game the previous season, or you only attended 2 games, you had the same lottery chance as everyone else. And our senior year I had a close friend miss out on tickets, he was really upset, I know he is still bitter about it too.

Sounds like from what JUP said, is that policy is history, which is good. Unfortunate that they even went there if you ask me.

Could there be a new thing added. If a student attends 75% of the Hockey games, they get a different free T-shirt that goes to the Student "Super Fans" to set them apart? If they attend 100% of the games they get a free piece of memorabilia, say an autographed puck or mini-stick or something. Make them want to attend more games. Or get local places to sponsor it. After your 5th scan you get a $5 off a pre-game meal at Raising Cains. 8th scan is a free shake at Annie's. 10th scan gets you a free Burger at Stub & Herbs. I don't know, just thoughts.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 3:53 pm

upnorthkid wrote:
Mon Mar 11 3:19 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:19 pm

Correct. The tickets are selling. The gameday experience just blows
The problem is when you announce something like that midseason, most students aren't going to know about it and only a certain amount are going to take advantage. Especially in a year like this one where it's a rebuild and the team basically decimated any chance of an NCAA birth in December.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 3:57 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 2:57 pm
gopheritall wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:07 pm

You can get any of your tickets this way online. Many people don't use it.
Yep my ticket for Saturday was a pdf they were able to scan from my phone.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Mar 11 5:03 pm

BTW it was nice to see that Judd has moved on from the WCHA/B10 piece of this constructive criticism. Now if the other 145 people who retweeted and 454 people who liked that photo could move on, that'd be great.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Mar 11 5:09 pm

Full disclosure – I used to live/die by Gopher Hockey. Combination of poor play on the ice (which imo was tied to keeping tDon around a bit too long), a sterile game-time atmosphere, and the decision to hire a baby boomer to replace a baby boomer led me to where I am today – I feel disconnected and now only follow half-heartedly. The ideas and energy pouring out of this thread are amazing and it gives me hope that all is not lost – thank you, all!

Step 1 -- Students. There must be a way to a) deduct about $75/year from EVERY active U of MN student holding an active ID card (call it a sports fee or something creative like that), b) charge it to their U accounts, so that c) they never have to pay out-of-pocket for it. I’m an ideas guy, so don’t even try to trap me into a discussion about why it couldn’t work. Because it’ll work. We put a friggin man on the moon 50 years ago with nothing more than 60’s IT and slide rulers.

And then…let the students attend *any* U sporting event they’d like. For FREE. Only caveat –first come, first served. No guests. [Also, consolidate the student sections (or maybe they’ve already done this?). Every single time I ‘won’ a lottery seat on the far end/Section 2 or 3, it felt like I really lost.] Some events (hockey, hoops, football), you’ll see people camping out for tickets. Other sports, I’m guessing students could just walk up and get a student-section ticket without trouble (soccer, swimming/diving). What the hell, give them another section or two to occupy as well.

Step 2 – Pumped-in music. This is an easy fix. Find the source in the booth and take a sledgehammer to it. In fact, make an event out of it before the start of next season out in the front plaza. For just $20, you can don safety glasses and take a swing at the equipment responsible for pumping in the music! Brag to your friends about how you were part of the solution! The line to get a piece of that action will stretch around the building. Bonus – athletic department gets a small boost in revenue. [After thinking about it some more, they should do that sledgehammer thing at the beginning of EVERY season, make a tradition out of it. Why? So future generations never forget how friggin’ gawd-awful the experience truly is/was at a college hockey game.]

Step 3 – Band. Unhitch the plow and let them do their thing.

Do these things, and the place should re-energize overnight. Word will spread quickly about the transformation (reformation?) and demand will climb. Advertisement/sponsorship dollars should also increase accordingly.

Step 4 – Fee lifetime tickets for Steph. Because duh!
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Mon Mar 11 5:42 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Mar 11 1:46 pm
I just listened to Dave Schwartz on with Tenna B talk about this. I can't believe how uninformed or misinformed they both are about the Big Ten Hockey conference and why Minnesota is a part of it. They both say that conference realignment is the biggest reason for the attendance issues. The jokers that called in said the same thing, and one jackbag who said he has been going to games for over 30 years said Minnesota should leave the Big Ten and go back to the WCHA!!
I had to laugh at Tenna saying there weren't teams like SCSU around when he was growing up... except he mentioned becoming a big college fan as a youth after the North Stars left... well... SCSU was definitely around then. :shock: :lol: There were some comments that were lacking in perspective. I will say that much.

I do think the emphasis on conference change was somewhat overblown (mostly by Tenna). But I think Schwartz was correct to point out near the end that if you have more reasonably priced tickets, you are more likely to have invested fans and less people focused on the past.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 6:30 pm

The average post length in here holy $h!t! Says a lot. Just here to bring the average down. I could post plenty but maybe later.

In Bob We Trust

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 6:33 pm

I think there is a compromise on the band and piped in music thing...you can have both and make it work. Problem is it has swung too far towards piped in music and that makes it sterile. I would rather have "Lets Get Weird" than hear the band play "Wayward Son" again...a song that was outdated 20 years ago.

Maybe for the students they should do what they do for football...first home series just have the players and coaches handing out tickets everywhere. They bring the incoming freshman to TCF and get them going (and they all get a free ticket) maybe do something like that. You gotta get people in the door. The last few years student attendance at football games looked better overall because of stuff like that. Also let students go both nights and let them bring a friend. My first season (Lucia's first) we got both nights for $174 and you could get a buddy pass. (which at first did not require a U Pass) If you want to restrict them fine but any U student should be allowed to use a student pass. They allow that in football they can in hockey. Personally I would rather see them just scan the U card like they used to in dining service to charge you the price to your student account. That way you dont need cash (or a physical ticket) it just bills you with your tuition. Filling up Section 14 has to be priority #1, 2 and 3.

The U needs to start treating hockey like other schools do...a sport with a small audience that they need to court. Gone are the days when Gopher Hockey ruled the roost (and lets be honest it never really did but it FELT like it did) and now it ranks around here where it ranks almost everywhere. We arent going back to the halcyon days so we need to figure out ways to make the sport better going forward. College Hockey is not basketball and football and it never will be so stop treating it like that and let it embrace what it is. Let it be fun...not a business because as a business it will be a failure.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 7:32 pm

WMU's coach bought all the student tickets for this Saturday because they weren't included in their packages. Stuff like that... Creative ideas to get people in the arena.

Eastsider
Rookie

Post by Eastsider » Mon Mar 11 7:40 pm

Love all the passion in these posts!!
WINNERS WIN!!!!!
aka Kicvol on twitter

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Mar 11 7:53 pm

The Rube wrote:
Just curious, when is the last time you went to a game? And what specifically could the U do to get you to go to a game or games?

Nuppi

Post by Nuppi » Mon Mar 11 8:22 pm

I attended Saturday's game. First game l have attended in over a decade. The Team was ready to play and I witnessed a great game. Loved the band and the craziness of the students that were there.
I have to say ticket prices are the reason I do not attend more games. They should price tickets 30.00 between the blue lines, 25.00 between the blue lines and goal lines, 20.00 for the corners, 15.00 on one end the other end 5.00 for students. Youth teams could get 5.00 tickets for the student end. Bump them 5.00 for "premium" games. These prices would allow a family to attend with wiggle room for concessions or souvenirs. Sell beer and wine to make up lost ticket revenue.
And build a damn parking ramp with a skyway to the arena. For 10.00 to park I shouldn't have to walk in the rain or brush snow off my car before leaving.😉

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 8:40 pm

sunbone wrote:
Mon Mar 11 7:53 pm
The Rube wrote:
Just curious, when is the last time you went to a game? And what specifically could the U do to get you to go to a game or games?
A couple years ago, and for me to go to a game...there are some things that are out of the U's hands. I dislike being cryptic, but in this case, that's the way it is. My suggestions are for those who have been outpriced/unconvenienced/etc.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 8:52 pm

Must have been the mini donuts going away.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 11 8:58 pm

Wasn’t the cost of the Duluth game this year something ridiculous, like $70 or something?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 8:59 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Mar 11 8:58 pm
Wasn’t the cost of the Duluth game this year something ridiculous, like $70 or something?
Something like that. And the last UND game here, IIRC SRO was $60 or similar.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 9:47 pm

Well part of that is on the fans since they have made it clear those are the only games they seem to care about.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 9:49 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Mar 11 9:47 pm
Well part of that is on the fans since they have made it clear those are the only games they seem to care about.
I can see your point. That being said, their response to those prices has been amped up quite loudly. I hope the U listens.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 9:50 pm

Handyman wrote:
Don't blame the consumer for their preferences lol

Greyeagle
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 11 9:56 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 8:52 pm
Must have been the mini donuts going away.
Bring back the Nutty Bavarian!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 11 10:00 pm

I think we need a Rally Bat.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 11 11:32 pm

I will volunteer to teach some cheers that need to come back to the band and students! Part of the problem is the band kids don’t know them anymore. And while I love Skeeter, the playlist does need to get a lot more modern. Some of those songs have been recycled for more than 20 years! But when they hardly get to play I suppose there’s little impetus to learn new songs.

There are a lot of excellent posts, agreed above about the post length. I haven’t been able to read much today and there is a lot to get through! 😆

I like the idea of sending a link to this thread to someone with some pull, this is your diehard fan base, a lot of current and former season ticket holders here - the folks the U really needs to listen to.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Mar 11 11:39 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Mar 11 9:50 pm
Handyman wrote:
Don't blame the consumer for their preferences lol
I am not blaming them but it is simple economics. If everyone is whining about the WCHA and the only games that are going to sell well are the ones where those teams show up it would be malpractice for the U not to charge as much as people are willing to pay. Pretty much every team in every sport does it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 11 11:42 pm

Ya as long as they sell out it means they price them right. If the game doesn't sell out they look like idiots for charging that much. And those high price games help make ST look like a "deal".

U must be thankful those old rivals can bring them in so much dough.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 38 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 12 5:37 am

Here is my 2 cents-- some have been brought up already.
1. Need to make the STH feel special and feel they have value by having them. Must lower the prices. Either lower the donation or the game prices. To be honest, there is really no financial benefit for me having my tickets. No fear in not getting into a game. The seats next to me were empty 75% of the time, former STH, so I could have waited and not have had to pay my seat donation. Throw us a bone. My wife gets irked because she wants a love your melon hat, and we can't get one because it is part of a promotion. I know we get to pick a couple of things,( we picked the pregame talk by tBob) but all the good ones are gone by our turn. Bottom line is, it's about the money and value. Also, it was true we got our playoff tickets for $25, but had to pay a $10 convenience fee and $5 ticket printing fee. It cost them 50 cents to mail my tickets. So if you add that $15 to the 4 tickets used, the average price I paid for those 2 games was $28.75. If the Gophers played all 3 games it was $27.50 per ticket. The people buying the tickets at the door did not have to pay that. Also, for the STH that bought tickets to the playoffs should be placed to the top of the list for benefits next year.
2. Really need to keep the students coming. Price isn't the issue here, but maybe allow them in both games like they did this year. Also, students love free things. Throwing out a few bags of jerky when the Gophers score on the PP doesn't do it. The U needs to find partners to give the students free things, since they are the most vocal fans in the building and they are future STH. Need a true leader in that section to do cheers.
3. In arena experience. Maybe start the Friday games at 7:30. I know tv dictates times, but maybe that would get people in their seats. Have an alum or 2 sign autographs on Saturday nights before the game and between periods. Set up a table, and have an older alum from the 60's-80's with someone from 90's to today. Bring back the buying the mystery autographed pucks around the holidays. They used to have an area where they had virtual hockey, and cutout Gopher players where kids could take pics. Have a segment on the scoreboard interviewing players. Maybe play the thing Allie does online. Would love to get to know the players more and show more of their personality. Dedicate the proper time for Let's get Weird. I know some of you roll your eyes at that, but it does get the students going. This year it very seldom had the proper time to play the entire thing. Work with Goldy's in the arena and have them offer better discounts on the products. It's crazy that they never have a year end sale. As far as concessions go, I'm sure they need a reboot. I can't say much since I've only bought a couple of pops in the last 10 years at the arena. Update the scoreboard standings with B1G 10 points along with the records. I would like to see how many points each team has. Bring back the signed posters for sale. A lot of this stuff would cost the U minimal. Need to get some sales and marketing students do some of this as part of their classes. Finally, more band.

I really like some of the things they are doing, like off campus practices, tBob pregame talks etc. With the Wild in a potential down turn, now is the time to really go after it. To offset the loss in STH revenue, they will really need to hustle to get companies on board to get more sponsors. Plus, some of this stuff will cost money in the short term to gain money in the long run.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 12 10:00 am

Perhaps the attendance this season and more particularly last weekend will finally be the wake-up that's been needed for several years to get them to make some changes. I don't expect them to solve everything in one year and there needs to be patience, but I could see a slow climb back to respectable results. Would be nice if a summary of suggestions being made here could magically find its way into the hands of those that make decisions.

I don't care if the hockey program is considered 3rd or 4th an empty arena showing up all over college hockey country can't be something they like seeing regardless if tickets sold provide all the revenue they need. If they have any pride at all something will be done.

If Bob has any pull I would imagine he's going to be in a lot of ears this summer and I expect he'll be far more fired up to make changes that Lucia probably became indifferent about towards the end.
Currently under construction.

UMNlaw

Post by UMNlaw » Tue Mar 12 11:23 am

I'd start with the following (some have already been discussed at length):

1) Students-first
The students drive the atmosphere. They, along with the band, are what can make the atmosphere unique. I'd completely eliminate student season ticket packages and make every game first-come, first-serve. Anyone with a UCard that wants in, can get in, up to a certain number. Let that number be something like 25% of the capacity of the combined student sections. I love the idea of scanning UCards and rewarding the students who show up at each game. Give them a reason to show up.
If you can get them there, make it fun to be there. The same group of students are in the first few rows every game. The administration needs to track those kids down and work with them. Find out what ideas they have. Give them free reign to chant what they like. It would take some time to build up chants and get the students to know them, but the payoff in terms of atmosphere would be worth it.

2) Music/Band
Limit piped-in music to once per period, and between periods. The band plays during every other possible time. Say what you will about Let's Get Weird, Groovin With Goldy, etc., but it gets the students dancing and having fun. Regardless of how cringeworthy it is to look around the non-student sections when Allie Krings tells fans to get up and start groovin' with Goldy, the students like it. And everything should be about the students. Once per period is fine.
Make sure the band, or some parts of the band are at EVERY game. Work with the band to help them drive the show. Let them get creative. Take that group of student leaders and get them talking with the band. Feed off each other. Build that unique atmosphere.

3) Community Involvement
Loved what the team did by having open practices in Roseville and St. Louis Park. Take this idea and run with it. This can be used as both a fan involvement and a recruiting tool. Keep doing it in the metro, but also try to go to one "out-state" area per year. I know the season is long, but when the team gets a weekend off, bus the boys somewhere to have an open practice and connect with fans. Go to Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Roseau, Warroad, or Moorhead and hold an open practice followed by a skate with the Gophers. Get the youth hockey players in those communities excited about seeing the Gophers.

4) Sell beer
Some people may not like the idea, you know what, nobody is going to make you buy one. Next time you're at a game, take a look around and count how many people you see at the game between the age of 25-35. Next time you're at a Wild game, do the same. There's a huge demographic gap that are not coming to the game. Will beer bring them there? No not by itself, but it certainly won't hurt.

5) Hang-out Tent Outside the Arena
Early this season, piggy-backing off football game festivities, there was a tent set-up with heaters, selling beers. With the decrease in the number of places to hang out before the game, something like this more regularly could be really fun. Some weeks it wont work due to weather, but it would take the administration no time and not very much money to set up a big tent, a beer stand, a bunch of heaters, maybe some activities and give the fans somewhere to be before the game. At least before big games or rivalry games this would give fans somewhere to congregate, meet and maybe have a cold one or two. At the very least it will lead to some minor increases in revenue. At best, it becomes the place to hang out before the game, and an event every weekend.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 12 11:36 am

I know the same students in the front row at the games are there because they were allowed to do so as student ambassadors - and they had to commit to not doing certain cheers....
We already have one of the largest dedicated student sections in college hockey (if not the largest). But yeah it’s useless and detracts from the game when it’s more than half empty.
I think it should be first come first served to all athletics with your student i.d.- the fee is built in to your tuition.
You will get the die hards that want to be there, who will help drive the atmosphere. And do away with the cheer restrictions for the students and band (within reason of course, as “F’ the whoever” is classless and never appropriate.) We all know they didn’t ban the band from playing Gary glitter songs because of him - the admin didn’t like hearing “hey, sue suck!” The truth hurts I guess.

The hockey pep band kids cannot be at every game unfortunately because they are part of the marching band, and sometimes events overlap - marching band events take precedence as it is technically a “class” that you get credit for. Pep band is an extra curricular activity.

But I agree - the nights the pep band isn’t there blow. They could do a better job letting the alumni band be there when the real band can’t - no excuse for not having any band at all.

So many great suggestions in this thread, I do hope that someone in the department reads this board. They could learn a lot.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Mar 12 12:08 pm

All good points UMNlaw. #5 is a good one and people have a good point regarding pre-game hangout spots, i.e. there isn't one. I think if you had something like that close to the stadium and had some creative ideas for activities (bubble hockey or other hockey related stuff, drinking games, ticket raffles, whatever... I'm not good at this :D ) that'd build excitement for the game and help with the missing college atmosphere that's sorely lacking. I think they were doing drinks at the alumni center before the outdoor game vs OSU a while back but that's about the closest they ever got to that.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Mar 12 12:09 pm

Someone with a name similar to mine might have forwarded the link to fan relations and Coyle...and might have CCed the MN Daily editor in chief and sports editor ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Mar 12 12:11 pm

Copying another company on an email like that? Kinda shady.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Mar 12 12:28 pm

In terms of the students, they already have "applications" for the students in the first rows to be an ambassador. They are guaranteed seats and some other benefits. The basketball team has been doing that for years with the barnyard.

Basketball, football, and hockey are the only sports students pay for. All other sports, I believe, are free with a student ID. They tried packaging the tickets with football for basketball/hockey and got sued, IIRC, or something happened.

I think letting them into hockey would help with the atmosphere, but not sure if they are willing to roll it into tutition, since they don't have nearly enough seats for everyone.There are a number of things student "pay" for in fees, which they don't use, but this would be more visible.
Attachments
image_handler.jpg

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 12 12:44 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Mar 12 12:08 pm
All good points UMNlaw. #5 is a good one and people have a good point regarding pre-game hangout spots, i.e. there isn't one. I think if you had something like that close to the stadium and had some creative ideas for activities (bubble hockey or other hockey related stuff, drinking games, ticket raffles, whatever... I'm not good at this :D ) that'd build excitement for the game and help with the missing college atmosphere that's sorely lacking. I think they were doing drinks at the alumni center before the outdoor game vs OSU a while back but that's about the closest they ever got to that.

Allow tailgating. Have a dedicated lot. Some of my best memories were hockey tailgates out behind the athletic fields. We went to Sally’s every Friday and tailgated every Saturday. I’m sure many of the older crowd miss the iconic places on campus - Sally’s (the previous version), big 10, campus pizza...and I’m sure soon to be stub and herbs. The old classic pregame places are nearly gone. I’m sure that is a small reason, but I’m sure that too has affected gameday experience for a few.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Mar 12 1:12 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Mar 12 12:11 pm
Copying another company on an email like that? Kinda shady.
How is that shady? It isnt sharing any inside info or copyrighted stuff. It is an email I personally (from my personal email) sent to 4 different people. I didnt even BCC it so it isnt like anyone who reads it wont know who else got it. Plus you dont know what I said or who I addressed it to or how.

I guess I dont know what you mean...not that that is anything new ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017