Gopher Offseason 2021...

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
JDUBBS1280
Veteran
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Gopher Offseason 2021...

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Apr 25 11:32 am

gopheritall wrote:
Sat Apr 24 9:04 pm
Is it wrong that I hate Notre Dame just because they don't broadcast game 2 when we play there? I feel like that is enough to hate an entire program and hope for them to fail always.
I dislike them for that reason too.
Lifelong Gopher and MNHS Hockey Fan. Very Provincial. Epic Homer. No Apologies.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 25 12:02 pm

I really think the Gophers are building a good group of rivals in BADgers, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Penn St. I just wish some of the people who are NCHC lovers would take off their NCHC snuggies and give these series a chance to grow instead of still living in the WCHA past. I miss those days, but I think the dead horse has been beaten to death.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Apr 25 12:28 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Apr 25 12:02 pm
I really think the Gophers are building a good group of rivals in BADgers, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Penn St. I just wish some of the people who are NCHC lovers would take off their NCHC snuggies and give these series a chance to grow instead of still living in the WCHA past. I miss those days, but I think the dead horse has been beaten to death.
You can continually build great rivalries with BIG schools while still developing or maintaining great rivalries with say St Cloud, Mankato, North Dakota & Duluth...it doesn’t have a be mutually exclusive. :wink:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 25 12:39 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Apr 25 12:28 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
You can continually build great rivalries with BIG schools while still developing or maintaining great rivalries with say St Cloud, Mankato, North Dakota & Duluth...it doesn’t have a be mutually exclusive. :wink:
Yes. Play them( Mn schools, UND) in non conference or Mariucci Classic. You are correct, you can still keep those alive. :dup: Why spend your life looking back instead of looking at the present and the future?

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Apr 25 3:16 pm

I think ppl that regularly attend games wish that Mariucci was at full capacity more often. A lot of them attribute that solely to the B1G when in reality there are a lot of factors that contribute to attendance then vs now.

Personally I don’t go to that many games per year and just want to see the gophers play at a high level vs good teams, no matter the conference. I tend to agree with frozen that there are some good rivalries in the B1G and the talent level seems to be high and increasing. The U can figure how they’re gonna deal with the attendance/atmosphere issues if they want ppl like me back on a more regular basis.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Apr 25 5:26 pm

Laxref wrote:
Sun Apr 25 9:58 am
Jupiter wrote:
Sun Apr 25 9:10 am
gopheritall wrote:
Is it wrong that I hate Notre Dame just because they don't broadcast game 2 when we play there? I feel like that is enough to hate an entire program and hope for them to fail always.
Just wait until the UND game are only on their local TV over Thanksgivings and you have to go to a place like Sensors or pay to stream it!!!
That’s gonna happen again you think? CBS sports network would be wise to pick up one of the games I’d think.
Not on Thanksgiving Weekend they wont. Schedule will be full of basketball and football.

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Apr 25 7:36 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
I agree

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Sun Apr 25 7:38 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sun Apr 25 3:16 pm
A lot of them attribute that solely to the B1G when in reality there are a lot of factors that contribute to attendance then vs now.
Spot on IMO

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 25 7:55 pm

Jupiter wrote:
gopheritall wrote:
Just wait until the UND game are only on their local TV over Thanksgivings and you have to go to a place like Sensors or pay to stream it!!!
Fans were spoiled by this years broadcast schedule, with all games on TV or free streaming somewhere. Next year, with non conference games road games back in play, there will be a handful of games that will not be available for fans on free tv or free streaming. I wonder where they will complain about it each week :confused2: :wink:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Apr 25 8:21 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
"Maintaining great rivalries" with St Cloud, Mankato & Duluth? North Dakota, yes. Duluth, was in some ways, but still a distant third place behind Wisconsin and UND (which of those is 1 and which is 2 is very much personal feelings).

St Cloud and Mankato were just conference teams that happened to be close. I never really saw them as being actual rivals (I know THEIR fanbases saw the Gophers as the big rival, but a true rivalry needs to go both directions)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Apr 25 9:09 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Apr 25 8:21 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
"Maintaining great rivalries" with St Cloud, Mankato & Duluth? North Dakota, yes. Duluth, was in some ways, but still a distant third place behind Wisconsin and UND (which of those is 1 and which is 2 is very much personal feelings).

St Cloud and Mankato were just conference teams that happened to be close. I never really saw them as being actual rivals (I know THEIR fanbases saw the Gophers as the big rival, but a true rivalry needs to go both directions)
I said is developing or maintaining, with Mankato & St Cloud, who both made the Frozen Four this season, I’m referring more to developing, as both schools have done really well the past five seasons or so. Obviously North Dakota is maintaining. With UMD, they go back a long ways but was very one sided the Gophers way until 2011 and since then has been quite one sided ln UMD’s favor...by the numbers. ☝️ And even though they play in different conferences, in 2018-2019 when the Dogs hoisted the NCAA title banner at Amsoil, with the Gophers in the building to open the season & tBobs 1st game coaching the Gophers too, Sandelin said he relished having the Gophers there that night....and whether tDon or tBob was coaching Gophers didn’t change anything in his eyes...that the Gopher were the enemy. So it’s a rivalry aimed south...even if some don’t want to acknowledge it’s also aimied north :biggrin2:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sun Apr 25 9:22 pm

I can't imagine trying to develop a rivalry with a team that isn't even in the same conference. Other than UND and maybe Duluth, I don't really care if we schedule the other old WCHA teams (From MN or not) on a constant basis. I'd much rather mix up the non-conference portion of the schedule to keep seeing new teams.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by D2D » Sun Apr 25 9:37 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Apr 25 9:22 pm
I can't imagine trying to develop a rivalry with a team that isn't even in the same conference. Other than UND and maybe Duluth, I don't really care if we schedule the other old WCHA teams (From MN or not) on a constant basis. I'd much rather mix up the non-conference portion of the schedule to keep seeing new teams.
The good news I guess it that those other Minnesota teams do help fill the seats and add to the atmosphere. And we know that right now the Athletic Dept. can use all the revenue they can get.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Apr 25 10:58 pm

Steve MN wrote:
If North Dakota doesn’t televise the games in MSP, I am totally fine never scheduling them again. Screw them.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Sun Apr 25 11:02 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 25 10:58 pm
If North Dakota doesn’t televise the games in MSP, I am totally fine never scheduling them again. Screw them.
I wouldn't expect too many non conference away games to be televised in the future and the likelihood goes down the further away from the U the game is.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Apr 26 6:25 am

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sun Apr 25 5:26 pm
Laxref wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
gopheritall wrote:
That’s gonna happen again you think? CBS sports network would be wise to pick up one of the games I’d think.
Not on Thanksgiving Weekend they wont. Schedule will be full of basketball and football.
What about Bally’s picking up the thanksgiving giving fighting Whioux series

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Apr 26 7:43 am

gopher6 wrote:
Mon Apr 26 6:25 am
Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sun Apr 25 5:26 pm
Laxref wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
gopheritall wrote:
What about Bally’s picking up the thanksgiving giving fighting Whioux series
The home team controls the TV coverage coming out of their arena now. The Whioux have a deal with Midco Sports and NCHC.com as the rights holder of their games. Midco will not let go of these rights unless they somehow (extremely unlikely) allow BSN to simulcast it (which is extremely unlikely ) and a large check with lots of zero's would be a hail mary. Extremely unlikely . Midco/NCHC know Gopher fans will shell out money to purchase the stream for these games and at $10 a pop, and they will laugh all the way to the bank. The options will be-- find a local bar that will get it, drive to the Dakota's to watch it on Midco, or shell out $$ for the NCHC streaming for a month.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Apr 26 7:48 am

Midco bought out the local cable co out of the Ricori area 6 to 8 years ago and now provide the cable to East Bethel. UGH!
Drive to Smokies, Route 65, or Moonshine Whiskey. All great placesin EB.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 26 7:51 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:48 am
Midco bought out the local cable co out of the Ricori area 6 to 8 years ago and now provide the cable to East Bethel. UGH!
I’ll be at Smokies.

Zwak
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Apr 26 7:53 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:51 am
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
This name takes me back to college (late 80's) as Smokey's was the name of the bar next to TCF Bank that is now a BW3.
GPL's official source of trivia.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Apr 26 7:57 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:53 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
This name takes me back to college (late 80's) as Smokey's was the name of the bar next to TCF Bank that is now a BW3.
There must have been a name change between when I graduated and when you attended.
I graduated in '86, and when I was there, it was Station 19.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Mon Apr 26 8:12 am

MNNavy wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:57 am
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
There must have been a name change between when I graduated and when you attended.
Station 19, then Smokeys, then Pub Down Under. I might be missing some.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 599 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Apr 26 10:15 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Apr 26 8:12 am
MNNavy wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:57 am
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
Station 19, then Smokeys, then Pub Down Under. I might be missing some.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.
It was Sparky’s in the late 90s.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 26 1:28 pm

Steve MN wrote:
I think part of this is recency bias, St. Cloud and Mankato have been good in the short term and they're in-state so I can see how some view it as a rivalry (probably felt more on their side than ours). If they were just bottom feeder teams like they were in the past, the excitement level for facing these teams would be significantly lower, maybe slightly higher than a different bad OOC opponent.
Bertogliat wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
Better get there early but that'd be fun I agree.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Apr 26 1:35 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Apr 26 1:28 pm
Steve MN wrote:
I think part of this is recency bias, St. Cloud and Mankato have been good in the short term and they're in-state so I can see how some view it as a rivalry (probably felt more on their side than ours). If they were just bottom feeder teams like they were in the past, the excitement level for facing these teams would be significantly lower, maybe slightly higher than a different bad OOC opponent.
Even in the WCHA, St Cloud and Mankato very obviously saw the Gophers as their big rival, but I never really got that feeling in reverse from anyone on the Gopher side. Very few of the fans seemed to see them as much more than another conference opponent, and the teams certainly didn't seem to treat them with any special dislike, either.

Since they've never really been a true rival, I simply don't see why there should be any effort put in to building a rivalry. Wisconsin is always going to be on the list. UIND is currently, and with minimal effort can remain so. Duluth is at least close, but I'm not sure there. Outside of that, we've got the Big Ten teams filling most of the year, and I don't want the remaining few non-conference games every year devoted to other Minnesota teams just because they're in Minnesota. I'd much rather mix up the non-conference games across all the other conferences.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 26 2:42 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:
I’ll be at Smokies.
Better get there early but that'd be fun I agree.
There aren’t many bar spots and I wouldn’t feel right about tying up a table for 3 hours since they are so busy and could make more money of 3-4 table turnovers than what I would consume with drinks.

I would have to muscle a regular out of their seat or show up 4 hours early.😂

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Mon Apr 26 3:56 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 26 2:42 pm
Or do what this guy does. :wink:

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Apr 26 3:58 pm

Try the Route or Moonshine.
Route is about 183rd & 65 on the east side. Moonshine is about 216th & 65 on the west side. Turn on Sims Rd to get to the backage road.
WTH. I'll mail you a key and just lock my place up when you leave. :cry:
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 26 4:39 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Apr 26 3:56 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 26 2:42 pm
Or do what this guy does. :wink:
Sam: What's going down Norm?
Norm: My butt on this bar stool
Currently under construction.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Mon Apr 26 4:48 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 26 1:35 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Even in the WCHA, St Cloud and Mankato very obviously saw the Gophers as their big rival, but I never really got that feeling in reverse from anyone on the Gopher side. Very few of the fans seemed to see them as much more than another conference opponent, and the teams certainly didn't seem to treat them with any special dislike, either.

Since they've never really been a true rival, I simply don't see why there should be any effort put in to building a rivalry. Wisconsin is always going to be on the list. UIND is currently, and with minimal effort can remain so. Duluth is at least close, but I'm not sure there. Outside of that, we've got the Big Ten teams filling most of the year, and I don't want the remaining few non-conference games every year devoted to other Minnesota teams just because they're in Minnesota. I'd much rather mix up the non-conference games across all the other conferences.
Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan are a couple of former WCHA rivals that I'd like to see back on the nc schedule. Filling up the non conference schedule with other Minnesota schools doesn't do anything for me.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Apr 26 5:48 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Mon Apr 26 4:48 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Apr 26 1:35 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan are a couple of former WCHA rivals that I'd like to see back on the nc schedule. Filling up the non conference schedule with other Minnesota schools doesn't do anything for me.
I'd love to see those two on the schedule for a couple years. Not necessarily annually, but bring them back every now and then. Same with the other Minnesota schools, Denver, CC, the Boston Schools, etc. Not saying I never want to see St Cloud, Mankato, etc on the NC schedule, just not every year.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Apr 26 6:28 pm

Do you know how far in advance they schedule the OOC opponents? I would think it’d be smart to mostly fill those games with highly ranked teams for RPI purposes but that might not always be easy to predict especially if it’s years in advance.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Laxref » Tue Apr 27 11:43 am

Ryan Sandelin was on with PA for like 45min today. Interesting comments about the gophers from Ryan, “my dad went to North Dakota, we really don’t care for the U”... “we couldn’t have been more pumped up playing the gophers in ncaas”... PA then says, “Ryan, your dads team has owned the last decade, especially in this state”, Ryan: “gophers are always the team everyone looks to beat”.

Despite all the pissing and moaning we’ve all done since realignment, it’s comforting to hear the rest of the state hates us as much as ever and that hate has maybe only grown since realignment.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 27 11:59 am

Did little Ryan complain that Laffer won the Richter over his buddy at Kato and it was a "joke" to him? Like Father, Like Son....

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Apr 27 7:09 pm

ahh.... much cleaner.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Tue Apr 27 8:12 pm

My predictions for the big ten next year and the nchc because that’s the conference outside of the B1G where I know the most about the teams.

BT:
1. Minnesota
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Notre Dame
5. Penn State
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan State
(Definitely a crap shoot after the top 2)

Nacho:
1. St. Cloud
2. UMD
3. North Dakota
4. Western Michigan
5. Denver
6. Omaha
7. CC
8. Miami

Bale
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bale » Wed Apr 28 2:16 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Apr 27 11:59 am
Did little Ryan complain that Laffer won the Richter over his buddy at Kato and it was a "joke" to him? Like Father, Like Son....
I mean he was defending his teammate. I'm not sure what anyone would expect.

The ironic part is that most people, even on this site, were looking at McKay winning as a forgone conclusion.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Apr 28 4:58 pm

Bale wrote:
Wed Apr 28 2:16 pm
frozen4champs wrote:

The ironic part is that most people, even on this site, were looking at McKay winning as a forgone conclusion.
The thing that irked me is he called it a "joke". I have no problem with him defending or rooting for his teammate, as I hope the Gophers would have done the same for Laffer. Calling it a joke made it seem like Laffer was a 3rd string goalie. Maybe different wording about McKay like disappointed, had a great year and more deserving, had a heck of a year, proud of the year he had etc. I'm sure just being 1 day removed from losing to SCSU in the semi's added to his mood as well. FWIW, I thought Knight was going to win it based on the "east coast bias" and his history with USA hockey and his play at the world juniors(which should have zero affect on the award). Also, if McKay would have won, I would have had zero problems with it either. I promise not to beat this dead horse again... maybe again if the situation plays out next year :wink:

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Thu Apr 29 8:48 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Apr 28 4:58 pm
Bale wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

The thing that irked me is he called it a "joke". I have no problem with him defending or rooting for his teammate, as I hope the Gophers would have done the same for Laffer. Calling it a joke made it seem like Laffer was a 3rd string goalie. Maybe different wording about McKay like disappointed, had a great year and more deserving, had a heck of a year, proud of the year he had etc. I'm sure just being 1 day removed from losing to SCSU in the semi's added to his mood as well. FWIW, I thought Knight was going to win it based on the "east coast bias" and his history with USA hockey and his play at the world juniors(which should have zero affect on the award). Also, if McKay would have won, I would have had zero problems with it either. I promise not to beat this dead horse again... maybe again if the situation plays out next year :wink:
To call it a joke is an immature response and one that is not even based in reality. The guy is a kid, so consider the source. However, it's disrespectful to the winner to characterize it in that way.

Bale
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bale » Thu Apr 29 9:17 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Apr 29 8:48 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Bale wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

To call it a joke is an immature response and one that is not even based in reality. The guy is a kid, so consider the source. However, it's disrespectful to the winner to characterize it in that way.
Oh, lighten up. This is coming from the same fan base that called a kid transferring to a rival school a traitor, hoping he takes puck to the head, hope he has a bad career, etc. It's sports. People say dumb things when they're frustrated. Anything can be construed as being disrespectful. It's dumb. Who cares?

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Apr 29 9:54 am

Laxref wrote:
Tue Apr 27 11:43 am
Ryan Sandelin was on with PA for like 45min today. Interesting comments about the gophers from Ryan, “my dad went to North Dakota, we really don’t care for the U”... “we couldn’t have been more pumped up playing the gophers in ncaas”... PA then says, “Ryan, your dads team has owned the last decade, especially in this state”, Ryan: “gophers are always the team everyone looks to beat”.

Despite all the pissing and moaning we’ve all done since realignment, it’s comforting to hear the rest of the state hates us as much as ever and that hate has maybe only grown since realignment.
That’s what I was getting at with my copy/paste of an excerpt of the DNT article interviewing Mylymok after his 5OT winner (subsequently removed by Jupiter) 😊 No matter how many NCAA banners tUMD hoists, they will continue embracing the underdog persona....it’s how they roll...with “gophers being the team they look to beat”.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 29 10:52 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Apr 29 9:54 am
Laxref wrote:
Tue Apr 27 11:43 am

That’s what I was getting at with my copy/paste of an excerpt of the DNT article interviewing Mylymok after his 5OT winner (subsequently removed by Jupiter) 😊 No matter how many NCAA banners tUMD hoists, they will continue embracing the underdog persona....it’s how they roll...with “gophers being the team they look to beat”.
How do you embrace the underdog roll when you're not the underdog?

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Thu Apr 29 11:29 am

Bale wrote:
Thu Apr 29 9:17 am
streakygopher wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Bale wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

Oh, lighten up. This is coming from the same fan base that called a kid transferring to a rival school a traitor, hoping he takes puck to the head, hope he has a bad career, etc. It's sports. People say dumb things when they're frustrated. Anything can be construed as being disrespectful. It's dumb. Who cares?

Lighten up? None of my comments were heavy handed, and I honestly couldn't care less which of these two goaltenders walked off with whatever medal they pinned on his chest. But since you asked who cares, it appears that at least the Sandelin kid did.

I disagree that anything can be construed as being disrespectful. How about, "I was pulling for our guy, but it didn't happen for him. Congratulations to LaFontaine for such a great season." Nothing disrespectful about that. People remember Nancy Kerrigan not only for being bludgeoned in the knee in the months leading up to the Olympics, but also for her sour-puss, eye-rolling, sore-loser face as they played the Ukrainian National Anthem for Oksana Baiul. Now that was disrespectful.

With respect to what fans think about player transfers, I think they call this false equivalence. Comments made by fans are not even applicable to this discussion. The focus here are comments made by an actual NCAA player, not a fan, who, in fact, seem to impugn the NCAA process while diminishing LaFontaine's accomplishment. It would have been a lot worse if the Mankato goalie made those comments, but, apparently, he has class.

As a fan of Mankato, I can appreciate your sensitivity to all things purple. This discussion, however, has nothing at all to do with team allegiance. It's about a player who should learn to keep his mouth shut, or, my gosh, even congratulate another player for his accomplishments.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Thu Apr 29 12:03 pm

I'm sorry but....

-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

JDUBBS1280
Veteran

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Thu Apr 29 2:51 pm

Bale wrote:
Thu Apr 29 9:17 am
streakygopher wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Bale wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

You do realize that calling a kid that transferred to a rival a traitor and calling Laffer winning the award a joke can both be disrespectful, right? They aren’t mutually exclusive.

It certainly wasn’t a strong character moment for Sandelin, though not surprising considering who his father is.

This is a Gopher hockey message board. I’d say the opposing fan getting bent out of shape about a legit criticism of one of his team’s players on said opponent fanbase’s message board is the one who needs to “lighten up”.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 29 2:58 pm

I took most of the 'traitor' talk as tongue-in-cheek anyway. Of course the term crosses your mind, but on the whole I wish him all the best until he plays the Gophers. :)
Currently under construction.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Mon May 03 9:46 pm

Iron is still hot for me...

JWG :M:

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 14 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Thu May 06 9:36 pm

Walker has been a very good player ever since he stepped on campus but I wanna see him hit that next gear and become a Hobey candidate in 21-22. If his linemates are McLaughlin and Lucius he’s very capable of 50-60 points.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Thu May 06 9:39 pm

After 100+ games for both Walker and McLaughlin we probably know what they are. 45 points would be a huge season. I can't see more than that. The forward point production should be distributed again like this year.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu May 06 9:50 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Thu May 06 9:36 pm
Walker has been a very good player ever since he stepped on campus but I wanna see him hit that next gear and become a Hobey candidate in 21-22. If his linemates are McLaughlin and Lucius he’s very capable of 50-60 points.
That would be some line if they're given the opportunity to find chemistry. And I suspect the process wouldn't take very long.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Orion » Thu May 13 9:38 pm

Not sure where this should go..... But damn. :(

https://www.fox9.com/news/lawsuit-ex-go ... UusW93NSAs

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 46 times

Post by thinkbui » Thu May 13 10:14 pm

To be clear, most of the details were already known after his resignation from RMU and his USA Hockey ban; the U just got hit with a lawsuit now bringing it back to the forefront.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri May 14 9:09 am

thinkbui wrote:
Thu May 13 10:14 pm
To be clear, most of the details were already known after his resignation from RMU and his USA Hockey ban; the U just got hit with a lawsuit now bringing it back to the forefront.
Yes, I remember reading some fairly lengthy/detailed reports on this a couple of years ago. For me, it explained the rather sudden ending to the Buetow era.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri May 14 9:27 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri May 14 9:09 am
thinkbui wrote:
Thu May 13 10:14 pm
Yes, I remember reading some fairly lengthy/detailed reports on this a couple of years ago. For me, it explained the rather sudden ending to the Buetow era.
Me too. I never did hear a good reason why Buetow was let go. This explains a lot

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by JC65 » Fri May 14 2:01 pm

That's horrifying. The only way the U could haven handled it worse (if the report here is to be believed) is if they'd kept him as a coach and put up a statue to Buetow.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri May 14 3:25 pm

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri May 14 3:53 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri May 14 3:25 pm
This is a cool opportunity to get some discounted gear. They usually have a set of game worn jerseys for sale.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri May 14 4:20 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Fri May 14 3:53 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
This is a cool opportunity to get some discounted gear. They usually have a set of game worn jerseys for sale.
I love that you have to sign up for a time slot. No camping out

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri May 14 4:45 pm

Of course, I wouldn't be able to get in til Saturday, and I'm sure everything I'd care about will be long gone by then. But, good to have it back, that's for sure.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri May 14 6:37 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri May 14 4:45 pm
Of course, I wouldn't be able to get in til Saturday, and I'm sure everything I'd care about will be long gone by then. But, good to have it back, that's for sure.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see it started Friday. I would have loved to see the jersey selection!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri May 14 6:41 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri May 14 6:37 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Yeah, I was disappointed to see it started Friday. I would have loved to see the jersey selection!
Since I will probably never get to go to one of these, what are the typical prices on the stuff?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri May 14 6:45 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri May 14 6:41 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Since I will probably never get to go to one of these, what are the typical prices on the stuff?
They’ve gone up a lot in the last two decades. Three years ago we spent $200 for a jersey, $70 (I think) for a stick, and I think $10 for a pair of shoes. Shirts and shorts and things like that are pretty cheap.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri May 14 8:37 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri May 14 6:45 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri May 14 6:41 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
They’ve gone up a lot in the last two decades. Three years ago we spent $200 for a jersey, $70 (I think) for a stick, and I think $10 for a pair of shoes. Shirts and shorts and things like that are pretty cheap.
Game worn jock straps are free!
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 19 1:58 pm

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed May 19 2:35 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed May 19 1:58 pm
I assume this opens doors for Paul to coach at the collegiate level?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 19 3:28 pm

I see it’s the last day to renew season tickets. I haven’t heard anything from the U but had them keep my $ for last season. Are we supposed to do anything? Has anyone else had any communication regarding season tickets for this fall?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 19 3:31 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 19 3:28 pm
I see it’s the last day to renew season tickets. I haven’t heard anything from the U but had them keep my $ for last season. Are we supposed to do anything? Has anyone else had any communication regarding season tickets for this fall?
I got an email a while ago ( month or so ago) saying I was all good and my money from last year was applied to this years tickets. I will see if I still have that, but guessing I emptied out my trash already.

Edit-- also you can go to Gophersports.com under manage my account, account history and scroll to the bottom of the page and it will say 20-21 season ticket and it will show 2021 Mens season tickets starting on Oct 1, 2021 TBA. It also shows when you paid for them.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed May 19 5:11 pm

When I renewed I could not find an option for physical tickets, only electronic. Anyone see something different?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 19 6:31 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed May 19 3:31 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
I got an email a while ago ( month or so ago) saying I was all good and my money from last year was applied to this years tickets. I will see if I still have that, but guessing I emptied out my trash already.

Edit-- also you can go to Gophersports.com under manage my account, account history and scroll to the bottom of the page and it will say 20-21 season ticket and it will show 2021 Mens season tickets starting on Oct 1, 2021 TBA. It also shows when you paid for them.
I ended up calling. They said I didn’t have to do anything. I’m still trying to decide if it’s worth paying for parking pass - it’s not any cheaper than paying the lot price. And unless you plan to be late it’s not hard to get a spot.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 19 6:48 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 19 6:31 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed May 19 3:31 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

I ended up calling. They said I didn’t have to do anything. I’m still trying to decide if it’s worth paying for parking pass - it’s not any cheaper than paying the lot price. And unless you plan to be late it’s not hard to get a spot.
I wish they would offer a discount for the parking pass. I get it why they don't, but would be a nice perk.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu May 20 9:19 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 19 6:31 pm
I also ended up calling, and the person I spoke to confirmed that I'm good for both women's and men's, plus men's parking which can sometimes be used for women's parking depending on game start times.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu May 20 10:10 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed May 19 5:11 pm
When I renewed I could not find an option for physical tickets, only electronic. Anyone see something different?
Nope. They are going full electronic this season.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu May 20 10:18 am

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Thu May 20 10:10 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Wed May 19 5:11 pm
Nope. They are going full electronic this season.
Thanks. I am going to miss the traditional tickets....primarily because I use them for bookmarks. :)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri May 21 9:50 am

frozen4champs wrote:

Anyone going to this tonight or tomorrow? I'll be there tonight from 6-7. Only time slots remaining are tomorrow 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 46 times

Post by thinkbui » Fri May 21 1:47 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri May 21 9:50 am
frozen4champs wrote:

Anyone going to this tonight or tomorrow? I'll be there tonight from 6-7. Only time slots remaining are tomorrow 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.
I have the 5PM time slot tonight. It will be an interesting change for me because in previous years I like to take my time without the 1 hour time limit and this year I'm also going to be video chatting with someone who can't go.

I'm guessing the digital wallet ticket system being used for this is the same as the one they'll be using for season tickets going forward? Could be a good dry run for that.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?