2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Talk about the current Gopher Hockey team....
Post Reply
User avatar
Sioux Suck
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 16 8:58 am
Location: Bloomington
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Sioux Suck » Sat Jul 27 4:34 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:52 am
trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Jul 26 1:17 am
Ranta needs to be better in terms of the buildup of offense at 5 on 5. He’s got a great shot and is a PP threat which is a somewhat elusive skill so he has that going for him. But at 5v5 he was kind of a drag on play last year and he needs to pick up his head more and make the right plays. Hopefully he can improve on that because he definitely has some of the tools to be a scorer.
Since the entire first power play has moved on to professional hockey, it's a wide open race for him to earn a spot there this year. Seemed to be his most productive spot in the USHL shooting from his off wing. When he did get chances during practice and games, he was a little indecisive with his decision making and there just isn't time for that at the level the Gophers play. Sometimes the less optimal decision made quickly is better than the right one after giving the defense time to adjust.

Maybe we'll see some looks like these?

Brannon McManus - RF Scott Reedy - RF
Tyler Nanne - RD Sampo Ranta -LF
Jackson LaCombe - LD

Sammy Walker - RF Nathan Burke - LF
Bryce Brodzinski - RF Blake McLaughlin - LF
Ryan Zuhlsdorf - LD

If he can acclimate himself, Nelson would be a great add in front of the net on the power play. Similar to Burke’s role

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3071
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Norm » Sat Jul 27 11:07 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:52 am
trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Jul 26 1:17 am
Ranta needs to be better in terms of the buildup of offense at 5 on 5. He’s got a great shot and is a PP threat which is a somewhat elusive skill so he has that going for him. But at 5v5 he was kind of a drag on play last year and he needs to pick up his head more and make the right plays. Hopefully he can improve on that because he definitely has some of the tools to be a scorer.
Since the entire first power play has moved on to professional hockey, it's a wide open race for him to earn a spot there this year. Seemed to be his most productive spot in the USHL shooting from his off wing. When he did get chances during practice and games, he was a little indecisive with his decision making and there just isn't time for that at the level the Gophers play. Sometimes the less optimal decision made quickly is better than the right one after giving the defense time to adjust.

Maybe we'll see some looks like these?

Brannon McManus - RF Scott Reedy - RF
Tyler Nanne - RD Sampo Ranta -LF
Jackson LaCombe - LD

Sammy Walker - RF Nathan Burke - LF
Bryce Brodzinski - RF Blake McLaughlin - LF
Ryan Zuhlsdorf - LD
Or will a 5th forward will play the point like Novak?

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Mon Jul 29 9:26 am

LaCombe was cut from the U.S. camp today, Johnson and McLaughlin remain.

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1037873

Also, Ranta is the highest scoring non-American so far with three points in two games.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5347
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jul 29 9:46 am

Cardinal wrote:
Mon Jul 29 9:26 am
LaCombe was cut from the U.S. camp today, Johnson and McLaughlin remain.

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/1037873

Also, Ranta is the highest scoring non-American so far with three points in two games.
Also cut was tUMD incoming freshman F Luke Loheit.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 18802
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 268 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Jul 29 9:50 am

Ranta having a big year would be huge for the Gophers.
He always seemed on the edge of really producing in the box score but was never able to rack up points. He has the size, instincts and skill to make a significant impact and if he continues to play hard - and IIRC he seemed to play harder as the season progressed - the scoring will follow.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14043
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by streakygopher » Mon Jul 29 2:31 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Jul 29 9:50 am
Ranta having a big year would be huge for the Gophers.
He always seemed on the edge of really producing in the box score but was never able to rack up points. He has the size, instincts and skill to make a significant impact and if he continues to play hard - and IIRC he seemed to play harder as the season progressed - the scoring will follow.
Lots of talent, but I think his instincts or "hockey sense" maybe has held him back a little bit. Hope he has a big year for Gophers, because they'll need him with all the incoming freshmen.

GopherPete
Veteran
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09 10:47 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by GopherPete » Mon Jul 29 3:47 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat Jul 27 11:07 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:52 am
trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Jul 26 1:17 am
Ranta needs to be better in terms of the buildup of offense at 5 on 5. He’s got a great shot and is a PP threat which is a somewhat elusive skill so he has that going for him. But at 5v5 he was kind of a drag on play last year and he needs to pick up his head more and make the right plays. Hopefully he can improve on that because he definitely has some of the tools to be a scorer.
Since the entire first power play has moved on to professional hockey, it's a wide open race for him to earn a spot there this year. Seemed to be his most productive spot in the USHL shooting from his off wing. When he did get chances during practice and games, he was a little indecisive with his decision making and there just isn't time for that at the level the Gophers play. Sometimes the less optimal decision made quickly is better than the right one after giving the defense time to adjust.

Maybe we'll see some looks like these?

Brannon McManus - RF Scott Reedy - RF
Tyler Nanne - RD Sampo Ranta -LF
Jackson LaCombe - LD

Sammy Walker - RF Nathan Burke - LF
Bryce Brodzinski - RF Blake McLaughlin - LF
Ryan Zuhlsdorf - LD
Or will a 5th forward will play the point like Novak?
I would think Meyer will get a chance to prove he belongs on the PP.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jul 29 5:33 pm

5 forwards was only because it was necessary with the pathetic D unit Bob inherited. It should never happen again.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Sioux Suck
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 16 8:58 am
Location: Bloomington
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Sioux Suck » Mon Jul 29 7:53 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Jul 29 5:33 pm
5 forwards was only because it was necessary with the pathetic D unit Bob inherited. It should never happen again.
Only because it was Novak, who was a great distributor and capable defensively to cover if something should happen. Of all the graduated seniors, I will wish we had him for one more year

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Wed Jul 31 12:13 pm

Primary assist for Ranta on his first shift today vs. Canada. On NHL Network right now. U.S. (with McLaughlin and Johnson) play Sweden on 3 PM, also on NHLN.

He also added a PP goal. 5-0 Fins.

GopherPete
Veteran
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09 10:47 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by GopherPete » Thu Aug 01 10:14 am

Who will be this years leading scorer? Also, do we have a 35 point d-man on the roster this season?

Walker is the obvious answer, but maybe one of the upperclassmen makes a big jump and surprises (Reedy, McManus). Otherwise, wouldn't be surprising to see guys like McLaughlin or Ranta put up some points? BB or Meyers?

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Aug 01 11:26 am

Barring injury it's Walker.

And 35 is too high maybe 30.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

GopherPete
Veteran
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 09 10:47 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by GopherPete » Thu Aug 01 11:34 am

40+ pts for Walker? If anyone, who else do you think will eclipse 30 pts?

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Aug 01 11:57 am

Well whoever is on his line to start. So for now, BMW.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Thu Aug 01 12:51 pm

Yeah, no chance Walker can increase his production from his freshman year to sophomore by more than four points. 30 seems like for SURE a good ceiling.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Aug 01 12:59 pm

What? The 30 point comment was for the D question.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4027
Joined: Wed Oct 25 9:32 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by BlueBandit24 » Thu Aug 01 2:49 pm

I'd imagine it will be Walker. Would be pleasantly surprised if it is someone else as I am highly confident Walker will be extremely productive. Could see McManus or Ranta pacing in goal scoring, though don't see them leading in points.

User avatar
gopherfun83
Rookie
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 14 7:30 pm
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by gopherfun83 » Thu Aug 01 9:44 pm

The leading scorer will be Walker. Most likely there won't be a 35 point d-man, but Nanne will be close.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm

How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14168
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 31

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Aug 01 10:13 pm

Could see McLaughlin up there if he takes another step in his development, especially if he’s on Walker’s line. But hopefully McManus and Reedy do, them being at full health should help and gives some reason to think they could take a bigger leap.
glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm
How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?
Someone will do it to troll I’m sure but I hope nobody would do that seriously.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by glenhogan21 » Thu Aug 01 10:45 pm

Of all the guys that need to take a step, Reedy might be most critical. We need him to be a solid #2 center.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Aug 02 2:34 am

I don't think we need that to be okay
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by glenhogan21 » Fri Aug 02 8:34 am

Who do you see playing center? I don’t think Brodz has the footspeed to step in right away and play center on 2nd line.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 18802
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 268 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Aug 02 8:39 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm
How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?
1
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Sioux Suck
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 16 8:58 am
Location: Bloomington
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Sioux Suck » Fri Aug 02 8:47 am

glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm
How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?
Nobody who saw him play in maroon and gold would do that

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6742
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 42 times
Age: 40

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Aug 02 10:42 am

Whioux Suck wrote:
Fri Aug 02 8:47 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm
How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?
Nobody who saw him play in maroon and gold would do that
You've checked out the comments on the FB posts before right? Those idiots say anything idiotic.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 18802
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 268 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Aug 02 11:17 am

Whioux Suck wrote:
Fri Aug 02 8:47 am
glenhogan21 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:46 pm
How many points does Phillips put up in the USHL before everyone second guesses Motzko for moving on from him?
Nobody who saw him play in maroon and gold would do that
Logic plays no part. :)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Fri Aug 02 3:54 pm


User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Sat Aug 03 5:26 pm


maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 31 3:59 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by maroon_and_gold » Mon Aug 05 3:10 pm

Would be nice if we go 4-0 to start the year vs CC and Niagra seeing as the first half of the season looks very stingy. At the very least 3-1. 2-2 would mean either getting swept by CC or losing a game to Niagra. Can’t have either of those.

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by D2D » Mon Aug 05 4:02 pm

What looks to be an improved CC could be a real challenge for a young Gopher team starting their regular season on the road. I don't think getting a split out there would be a bad outcome. That said, anything less than a sweep at home vs. Niagra would be disappointing.

User avatar
gopherfun83
Rookie
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 14 7:30 pm
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by gopherfun83 » Mon Aug 05 7:52 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Mon Aug 05 3:10 pm
Would be nice if we go 4-0 to start the year vs CC and Niagra seeing as the first half of the season looks very stingy. At the very least 3-1. 2-2 would mean either getting swept by CC or losing a game to Niagra. Can’t have either of those.
They should be 4-0 with solid defense and goalie play to start the season.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5347
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Aug 05 8:48 pm

gopherfun83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05 7:52 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Mon Aug 05 3:10 pm
Would be nice if we go 4-0 to start the year vs CC and Niagra seeing as the first half of the season looks very stingy. At the very least 3-1. 2-2 would mean either getting swept by CC or losing a game to Niagra. Can’t have either of those.
They should be 4-0 with solid defense and goalie play to start the season.
At least it’s clear Johnson will be a big addition on the blue line
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Tue Aug 06 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by glenhogan21 » Tue Aug 06 8:40 am

I thought McLaughlin looked pretty good in the world junior showcase. Looks stronger, little quicker, made plays on forecheck. Should have a solid season.

Caufield must have averaged 10 shots a game. He’s gonna be scary for BADgers this year

User avatar
Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Feb 01 8:43 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Aug 07 3:59 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Aug 05 8:48 pm
gopherfun83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05 7:52 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Mon Aug 05 3:10 pm
Would be nice if we go 4-0 to start the year vs CC and Niagra seeing as the first half of the season looks very stingy. At the very least 3-1. 2-2 would mean either getting swept by CC or losing a game to Niagra. Can’t have either of those.
They should be 4-0 with solid defense and goalie play to start the season.
At least it’s clear Johnson will be a big addition on the blue line
Totally agree with your take on Johnson. When is Koster expected to play?

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 31 3:59 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by maroon_and_gold » Fri Aug 09 1:50 pm

To those who’ve seen Sorenson play, can we expect a surprise freshman season similar to Burke’s out of him this year? They put up identical numbers in their rookie seasons in the NAHL (56 points in 60 games) and both seem like they’re similar in playing style (hard-working, not flashy). Fourth line spots are wide open for the taking so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was given a shot.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 31 3:59 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by maroon_and_gold » Fri Aug 09 1:50 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Wed Aug 07 3:59 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Aug 05 8:48 pm
gopherfun83 wrote:
Mon Aug 05 7:52 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Mon Aug 05 3:10 pm
Would be nice if we go 4-0 to start the year vs CC and Niagra seeing as the first half of the season looks very stingy. At the very least 3-1. 2-2 would mean either getting swept by CC or losing a game to Niagra. Can’t have either of those.
They should be 4-0 with solid defense and goalie play to start the season.
At least it’s clear Johnson will be a big addition on the blue line
Totally agree with your take on Johnson. When is Koster expected to play?
Fall 2020

User avatar
Goldy77
Veteran
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Feb 01 10:06 am
Location: New Prague, MN
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Goldy77 » Sat Aug 10 7:46 am

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Aug 09 1:50 pm
To those who’ve seen Sorenson play, can we expect a surprise freshman season similar to Burke’s out of him this year? They put up identical numbers in their rookie seasons in the NAHL (56 points in 60 games) and both seem like they’re similar in playing style (hard-working, not flashy). Fourth line spots are wide open for the taking so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was given a shot.
Hopefully he’ll be a nice addition. Romanko also put up similar points IIRC in his final NAHL season so I wouldn’t put much into that.

User avatar
Sioux Suck
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 16 8:58 am
Location: Bloomington
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Sioux Suck » Sat Aug 10 11:22 am

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Fri Aug 09 1:50 pm
To those who’ve seen Sorenson play, can we expect a surprise freshman season similar to Burke’s out of him this year? They put up identical numbers in their rookie seasons in the NAHL (56 points in 60 games) and both seem like they’re similar in playing style (hard-working, not flashy). Fourth line spots are wide open for the taking so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was given a shot.
I’d say 50-50. Saw him play at the NAHL championship series versus Johnstown. Sorenson was the most skilled player on the ice without question. And, what really caught my eye was his drive and team first attitude. There was a scrum in front of the benches to end the 2nd period, Sorenson was the first Fairbanks player confronting a Johnstown player and protecting his teammates. I really like seeing that combination of skill and intensity. As for potential points...if he’s on a line with two very skilled scorers like Walker and McLaughlin, he’ll reap the rewards and put up decent stat lines. Put him on the fourth line with two other plodders similar to Ramsey and Norman, and he’ll be lucky to break 10 points.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by glenhogan21 » Sat Aug 10 12:27 pm

The Competition for Center after walker should be good. Sorenson should be right in the mix, has more speed than some other options.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15814
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 191 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Aug 13 12:18 pm



Pretty cool regardless, but there's not a lot of players (at least in this photo) in attendance from the 90's or older.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Orion » Tue Aug 13 1:37 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Aug 13 12:18 pm


Pretty cool regardless, but there's not a lot of players (at least in this photo) in attendance from the 90's or older.
That was likely intentional. They captioned the picture as current or recent alums. I'm guessing they have had enough of an older Edina resident telling them how to run the program.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 46 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Vegoe » Tue Aug 13 3:40 pm



Greg May is the new Director of Hockey Ops for Gopher Hockey. He got Farmington to a state tournament and had helped put Blake in a pretty good situation as they transitioned to AA hockey. That program was set for a pretty good season this year with Gophers commits Tristan Broz and Joe Miller leading the way. Rob McClahanan will take the reigns there.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3071
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Norm » Tue Aug 13 3:50 pm

OK. What does the Director of Hockey Ops do?

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 46 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Vegoe » Tue Aug 13 4:03 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Aug 13 3:50 pm
OK. What does the Director of Hockey Ops do?
The position takes care of team travel (hotel, buses, airplane and team meal reservations) and does the video editing. They also typically work as a liaison fundraising, academics and university business. They can also do some recruiting legwork for video and materials. It's not supposed to be a coaching position.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Aug 13 4:03 pm

I interviewed Bahr for sport management (easiest elective ever) but I forgot a lot of the stuff. Think he organized the mariucci classic (including opponents), as well as the golf tournament. Maybe all the non conf opponents? Think maybe he ran some of the film stuff too?
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4940
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Aug 13 4:20 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Aug 13 12:18 pm


Pretty cool regardless, but there's not a lot of players (at least in this photo) in attendance from the 90's or older.
There are 3 players I don't recognize. The guys on each end of row 2 and the guy with the dark hair in the middle front row next to Skjei, Help..

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14646
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 87 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Jupiter » Tue Aug 13 5:20 pm

The guys in the end are administration guys. Cannot remember their names.

Vinni Lettieri is in the middle. Both @evegoe and I questioned it, but Vegoe got confirmation that it is Vinni.

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by MATT » Tue Aug 13 5:52 pm

Alright, can we get a full L-R for everyone else that doesn't typically see them with helmets off :lol: ? I have a couple question marks; did I get the rest correct?

Back Row: Admin Guy, Vanek, Martin, Schmidt, ???, Goligoski, Motzko, Haula, Boyd, Leopold, Admin Guy
Front Row: Kloos, Holl, Skjei, Lettieri, Fasching, Bjugstad, ???, Helgeson

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jan 31 3:59 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by maroon_and_gold » Tue Aug 13 6:12 pm

MATT wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:52 pm
Alright, can we get a full L-R for everyone else that doesn't typically see them with helmets off :lol: ? I have a couple question marks; did I get the rest correct?

Back Row: Admin Guy, Vanek, Martin, Schmidt, ???, Goligoski, Motzko, Haula, Boyd, Leopold, Admin Guy
Front Row: Kloos, Holl, Skjei, Lettieri, Fasching, Bjugstad, ???, Helgeson
Wilcox after Bjugstad that’s all I know. I’m stumped on the other mystery guy too.

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times
Age: 44

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by J22 » Tue Aug 13 6:26 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Tue Aug 13 6:12 pm
MATT wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:52 pm
Alright, can we get a full L-R for everyone else that doesn't typically see them with helmets off :lol: ? I have a couple question marks; did I get the rest correct?

Back Row: Admin Guy, Vanek, Martin, Schmidt, ???, Goligoski, Motzko, Haula, Boyd, Leopold, Admin Guy
Front Row: Kloos, Holl, Skjei, Lettieri, Fasching, Bjugstad, ???, Helgeson
Wilcox after Bjugstad that’s all I know. I’m stumped on the other mystery guy too.
Isn't that Ballard?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4940
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Aug 13 6:53 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:20 pm
The guys in the end are administration guys. Cannot remember their names.

Vinni Lettieri is in the middle. Both @evegoe and I questioned it, but Vegoe got confirmation that it is Vinni.
Thanks. Wow, should have got that one, but for some reason it didn't look like him.

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14179
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 51

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 13 7:37 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Aug 13 6:26 pm
maroon_and_gold wrote:
Tue Aug 13 6:12 pm
MATT wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:52 pm
Alright, can we get a full L-R for everyone else that doesn't typically see them with helmets off :lol: ? I have a couple question marks; did I get the rest correct?

Back Row: Admin Guy, Vanek, Martin, Schmidt, ???, Goligoski, Motzko, Haula, Boyd, Leopold, Admin Guy
Front Row: Kloos, Holl, Skjei, Lettieri, Fasching, Bjugstad, ???, Helgeson
Wilcox after Bjugstad that’s all I know. I’m stumped on the other mystery guy too.
Isn't that Ballard?
That's what it looks like to me.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14646
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 87 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Jupiter » Tue Aug 13 8:35 pm


User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3071
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Norm » Tue Aug 13 9:01 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Aug 13 8:35 pm
Kinda heartwarming, isn't it.

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6252
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 31 times
Age: 46

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 14 6:31 am

Boyd and Helgeson were the two that stumped me.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 46 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Vegoe » Wed Aug 14 9:37 am

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:20 pm
The guys in the end are administration guys. Cannot remember their names.

Vinni Lettieri is in the middle. Both @evegoe and I questioned it, but Vegoe got confirmation that it is Vinni.
Sr. Associate AD Tom McGinnis is the back left guy--he's the main administrator for men's and women's hockey, oversees event management and athletics IT. He has served on the NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Committee as the chair for a while, has been the tournament chairman as well and works with College Hockey Inc.

Associate AD Randy Handel is in the back right, he's a big fundraising guy for Gophers Athletics in the Golden Gopher Fund.

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7451
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 109 times
Age: 101
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by JWG » Sat Aug 17 9:20 am

Hope the missing team makes the list this season.

JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4940
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Aug 20 5:05 pm

The worst kept secret is official now. Lafontaine added to roster
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/20 ... oster.aspx

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by D2D » Tue Aug 20 8:30 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Aug 20 5:05 pm
The worst kept secret is official now. Lafontaine added to roster
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/20 ... oster.aspx
How is it that "he will be immediately eligible to play for the Maroon & Gold while the netminder will have two years of eligibility remaining." :conf2:

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4940
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times
Age: 53

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Aug 20 8:37 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue Aug 20 8:30 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Aug 20 5:05 pm
The worst kept secret is official now. Lafontaine added to roster
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/20 ... oster.aspx
How is it that "he will be immediately eligible to play for the Maroon & Gold while the netminder will have two years of eligibility remaining." :conf2:
He played 2 years at Michigan, and sat out last year playing in Canada. So, he has 2 years left.

User avatar
Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Nov 27 9:25 am
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 90 times
Age: 51

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Vegasgopher » Tue Aug 20 8:37 pm

I believe he played 2 years for the ugly helmets then went to Canada juniors for a year...

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Aug 20 8:40 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue Aug 20 8:30 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Aug 20 5:05 pm
The worst kept secret is official now. Lafontaine added to roster
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/20 ... oster.aspx
How is it that "he will be immediately eligible to play for the Maroon & Gold while the netminder will have two years of eligibility remaining." :conf2:
His BCHL time served as his waiting period
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by D2D » Tue Aug 20 8:47 pm

Got it, thanks guys. Sure hope he pans out.

User avatar
gopherfun83
Rookie
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 14 7:30 pm
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Aug 24 1:35 am

Do you think the Gophers will be over or under 25 wins this year?
I think they will be much improved this year 28 wins with a NCAA tournament appearance. They will be a fun team to watch this year.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28193
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 271 times
Age: 39

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Handyman » Sat Aug 24 4:13 am

Over. Not sure if will lead anywhere significant other than a Big Ten Title though.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Sioux Suck
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 16 8:58 am
Location: Bloomington
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Sioux Suck » Sat Aug 24 9:54 am

gopherfun83 wrote:
Sat Aug 24 1:35 am
Do you think the Gophers will be over or under 25 wins this year?
I think they will be much improved this year 28 wins with a NCAA tournament appearance. They will be a fun team to watch this year.
At least one win in the tournament. At least

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13837
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 24 10:31 am

Only 8 teams get that every year. A tourney slot would be a success.

Next year would be the contender year if everyone is back and Koster transitions well.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14043
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by streakygopher » Sat Aug 24 10:58 am

Not sure where all the confidence is coming from, but, after losing a rock of a goal tender and a healthy swath of upperclassmen, I'm a wee bit cautious.

Like so many Gophers teams, there is young talent, but will that translate into wins for the fresh faced lads plying their raw, yet unrefined, skills? Their tournament position may be taking shape late in the second half of the season - or they could be thwarted around Christmastime by a lurking Ferris State type Grinch of a pairwise wrecker.

User avatar
Magic
Rookie
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 11 12:02 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Magic » Sat Aug 24 11:58 am

The goal for me is always the same “Make the Tournament” then roll the dice.

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Sat Aug 24 12:18 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Aug 24 10:58 am
Not sure where all the confidence is coming from, but, after losing a rock of a goal tender and a healthy swath of upperclassmen, I'm a wee bit cautious.

Like so many Gophers teams, there is young talent, but will that translate into wins for the fresh faced lads plying their raw, yet unrefined, skills? Their tournament position may be taking shape late in the second half of the season - or they could be thwarted around Christmastime by a lurking Ferris State type Grinch of a pairwise wrecker.
1. Bob's second year
2. More young players since they were among the best on the team last year and don't have the baggage from Lucia
3. Defensemen that can actually break the puck out and can skate

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14043
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by streakygopher » Sat Aug 24 1:09 pm

Cardinal wrote:
Sat Aug 24 12:18 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Aug 24 10:58 am
Not sure where all the confidence is coming from, but, after losing a rock of a goal tender and a healthy swath of upperclassmen, I'm a wee bit cautious.

Like so many Gophers teams, there is young talent, but will that translate into wins for the fresh faced lads plying their raw, yet unrefined, skills? Their tournament position may be taking shape late in the second half of the season - or they could be thwarted around Christmastime by a lurking Ferris State type Grinch of a pairwise wrecker.
1. Bob's second year
2. More young players since they were among the best on the team last year and don't have the baggage from Lucia
3. Defensemen that can actually break the puck out and can skate
Those are three persuasive reasons for hope...not sure about confidence. :D

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14168
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 31

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Aug 24 8:27 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Aug 24 10:58 am
Not sure where all the confidence is coming from, but, after losing a rock of a goal tender and a healthy swath of upperclassmen, I'm a wee bit cautious.
Pretty much the same as how I see it. We lost much of the #1 PP unit and as you mention, Robson, that drove a lot of our success last year and the team wasn’t very good at five on five play. And while Johnson should help I just don’t feel like we’ve turned over enough of that blue line yet.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 25 times

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Cardinal » Sun Aug 25 4:15 pm

People are underestimating the difference it’ll make, in theory, to have two elite puck-movers on the backend the get things moving up the ice. Due to that, goalies this year shouldn’t have to face anywhere close to the same amount of high-danger chances Robson did last season.

User avatar
Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Nov 27 9:25 am
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 90 times
Age: 51

Re: 2019-2020 Gopher Hockey Season Thread

Post by Vegasgopher » Sun Aug 25 4:17 pm

First "half" schedule up to the break is a meat grinder...at CC is an unknown, long trip and never easy there, home vs Niagara should help then every series after that is vs a quality team...hope they gel quick

Post Reply