MLB News

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 14 9:52 pm

Apparently a very special performance happening tonight in MLB.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 14 9:55 pm

No-No for the White Sox. Congrats!
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15827
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Wed Apr 14 10:12 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 14 9:52 pm
Apparently a very special performance happening tonight in MLB.
Was this right before he hit a guy in the foot?
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 14 10:14 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 14 10:12 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 14 9:52 pm
Apparently a very special performance happening tonight in MLB.
Was this right before he hit a guy in the foot?
Yes. Saw the Tweeter Machine acting up. A very special performance was reduced to a special performance.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed Apr 14 11:01 pm

The Indians offense is mostly bad and Rodon was very very good tonight.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 16 11:40 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 16 11:48 pm

Willians Astudillo blowing up the radar gun in his inning... on the too-slow end, not the too-fast end:

51.4
59.0
46.0
pitch too slow for Statcast
72.5
pitch too slow for Statcast
46.3
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Tue Apr 20 9:01 pm

As a fan of baseball, it has been great to see Shohei Ohtani actually get to hit AND pitch this season. This kid is special.

These pitches are disgusting.

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 24 7:20 pm

The AL West standings currently spell "As(s)hat." :D
Image
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: MLB News

Post by D2D » Sat Apr 24 8:52 pm

Wild up 3-0 after one.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 24 9:27 pm

D2D wrote:
Sat Apr 24 8:52 pm
Wild up 3-0 after one.
⚾️⚾️⚾️

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: MLB News

Post by D2D » Sat Apr 24 9:50 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 24 9:27 pm
D2D wrote:
Sat Apr 24 8:52 pm
Wild up 3-0 after one.
⚾️⚾️⚾️
:oops: I blame it on the Got Beer? thread. :lol:
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Mon Apr 26 7:18 am

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14828
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: MLB News

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 26 12:20 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tue Apr 20 9:01 pm
As a fan of baseball, it has been great to see Shohei Ohtani actually get to hit AND pitch this season. This kid is special.

These pitches are disgusting.

I think a good split finger is the hardest pitch to hit (okay, maybe the knuckle ball). A hitter who's loaded up on a 95+ fast ball has zero chance to hit a pitch that disappears at the plate. The only thing that makes the pitch tricky is keeping it from getting away from the catcher.

A close second to the split finger is a slider that breaks late off the plate. For the best pitchers, it's almost unhittable.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14828
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: MLB News

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 26 12:21 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:18 am
Um, yeah, sit down. :D

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Mon Apr 26 12:31 pm

Saw something on Twitter today. Last time a player who leads the league in home runs started a game as a pitcher was Babe Ruth in June of 1921 (almost exactly 100 years ago).
Shohei Ohtani is tied for the lead in home runs (7) and is starting pitcher today for the Angels.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: MLB News

Post by D2D » Mon Apr 26 12:37 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Apr 26 12:31 pm
Saw something on Twitter today. Last time a player who leads the league in home runs started a game as a pitcher was Babe Ruth in June of 1921 (almost exactly 100 years ago).
Shohei Ohtani is tied for the lead in home runs (7) and is starting pitcher today for the Angels.
That's pretty amazing.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15827
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 26 1:09 pm

If tied for the lead counts, the pitcher that starts the first game of the season does the same thing I suppose
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10525
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 214 times
Age: 45

Re: MLB News

Post by davescharf » Mon Apr 26 7:36 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:18 am
These things he shares with the stop motion do an amazing job of how well some of these guys tunnel their pitches. It's half to 2/3rds of the way home and you don't know if it's going to paint the outside corner or be up in your ear.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Mon Apr 26 7:49 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:36 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Apr 26 7:18 am
These things he shares with the stop motion do an amazing job of how well some of these guys tunnel their pitches. It's half to 2/3rds of the way home and you don't know if it's going to paint the outside corner or be up in your ear.
It's really really incredible.
And goes to show why strikeouts are way up over the last few years.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15827
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Tue Apr 27 3:36 pm

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/313 ... eer-league

Next up, they'll go XFL style and allow a designated runner for DHs, and he's allowed to get a running start towards first to increase scoring.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11543
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 439 times
Age: 46

Re: MLB News

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm


User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Apr 28 11:11 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
I thought runners had to stay in the lane? He wasn’t even close. What’s the issue?

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed Apr 28 11:13 pm

Theoretically speaking, in that case, the rulebook could be argued to back him up for interference.
But in reality? That is an absolutely atrocious call and one that no umpire, regardless of level, should ever have made.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed Apr 28 11:53 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Apr 28 11:11 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
I thought runners had to stay in the lane? He wasn’t even close. What’s the issue?
Technically speaking they have 3 feet on either side of the foul line to run on (the "baselines", chalked from home to first and home to third, invisible from first to second and second to third, are 6 feet wide - the chalk line is designed to be the center of the 6 foot baseline).
What is called the 3-foot lane, chalked outside the first baseline, is designated typically for throws coming from behind the runner (batted balls or bunts from the vicinity of home plate, dropped 3rd strikes, etc) to give the fielder a clear lane to throw from, or to safely allow the runner a lane to run to in the event of a ball being fielded.
The issue with this lane is that the entire first base bag is in fair territory so in order to touch the base the runner needs to be in fair territory (at least partially) at the end of the 90 feet to safely touch the base.
The batter is allowed to run outside the line (in the 3 foot lane) or inside the line (on the grass) provided he does not interfere with a batted ball being fielded (he did not interfere with the fielder in this case, as the pitcher fielded the ball in front of the runner).

My guess is that this umpire thought the pitcher, after throwing the ball to 1B (outside of the baseline), continued running/jogging a path into the baseline, obstructing the runner's path to first base.

It's a terrible call because he was NEVER beating that throw to 1B, but if his judgement was that he slowed down to avoid a collision with the pitcher then he does at least have some rulebook backing.

With all the stupid ass experimentation they've been doing with the rules, I'm borderline shocked they haven't rolled out double bags at first base, like you see at softball games and some youth baseball games. Orange base is for the runner (in foul territory) white base is for the first baseman. Only time the runner is allowed to step on the white base is in the event of an overthrow that draws the first baseman over to the orange base, etc.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 29 12:10 am

Thanks for the explanation. Watching it again, one could make an argument the runner veered left a bit toward the guy fielding the ball, intentional or not, who knows.

Double bases? Good grief. People are getting creative in ways to f*** up sports at all levels, aren’t they.

I miss baseball when it was simple, with less stats, technology, and a bit more of the human element involved. It was far from perfect, but it was authentic.

Sigh. A sign I’m getting old I suppose.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 29 7:23 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 29 12:10 am
Thanks for the explanation. Watching it again, one could make an argument the runner veered left a bit toward the guy fielding the ball, intentional or not, who knows.

Double bases? Good grief. People are getting creative in ways to f*** up sports at all levels, aren’t they.

I miss baseball when it was simple, with less stats, technology, and a bit more of the human element involved. It was far from perfect, but it was authentic.

Sigh. A sign I’m getting old I suppose.
Oh I 100% agree he looked like he ran back toward the pitcher a bit. Probably in an attempt to draw obstruction TBH.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 29 8:06 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 29 12:10 am
Thanks for the explanation. Watching it again, one could make an argument the runner veered left a bit toward the guy fielding the ball, intentional or not, who knows.

Double bases? Good grief. People are getting creative in ways to f*** up sports at all levels, aren’t they.

I miss baseball when it was simple, with less stats, technology, and a bit more of the human element involved. It was far from perfect, but it was authentic.

Sigh. A sign I’m getting old I suppose.
Double bases are far less "out there" then some of the other changes. And the double base is only for 1st base. I never minded them when I played.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4907
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Chris83 » Thu Apr 29 8:50 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
The umpire should be given a nice 6 month leave, without pay, in a MLB "Re-education" camp. What an incredible ass-hat.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times
Age: 34

Re: MLB News

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Apr 29 8:56 am

Chris83 wrote:
Thu Apr 29 8:50 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
The umpire should be given a nice 6 month leave, without pay, in a MLB "Re-education" camp. What an incredible ass-hat.
I am not a baseball umpire, but I guarantee there are a lot of minor pro and NCAA umpires looking at that going "If I made that mistake, I'd be fired, and they'd never think of it again." But because there is a union, and he already made it to the MLB and has a number of games under his belt (guessing), he has the "experience" so will get a phone call about it and that's probably it.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14828
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: MLB News

Post by streakygopher » Thu Apr 29 8:57 am

Chris83 wrote:
Thu Apr 29 8:50 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
The umpire should be given a nice 6 month leave, without pay, in a MLB "Re-education" camp. What an incredible ass-hat.
I watched it three times. I have no words. :crazy:

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 29 1:27 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Apr 29 8:56 am
Chris83 wrote:
Thu Apr 29 8:50 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:33 pm
The umpire should be given a nice 6 month leave, without pay, in a MLB "Re-education" camp. What an incredible ass-hat.
I am not a baseball umpire, but I guarantee there are a lot of minor pro and NCAA umpires looking at that going "If I made that mistake, I'd be fired, and they'd never think of it again." But because there is a union, and he already made it to the MLB and has a number of games under his belt (guessing), he has the "experience" so will get a phone call about it and that's probably it.
Pretty much. There's no real repercussions other than not umpiring playoffs or world series. It's very frustrating.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 29 1:28 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 29 12:10 am
Thanks for the explanation. Watching it again, one could make an argument the runner veered left a bit toward the guy fielding the ball, intentional or not, who knows.

Double bases? Good grief. People are getting creative in ways to f*** up sports at all levels, aren’t they.

I miss baseball when it was simple, with less stats, technology, and a bit more of the human element involved. It was far from perfect, but it was authentic.

Sigh. A sign I’m getting old I suppose.
The double base idea would just be for 1B, almost exactly for the reason we saw in this tweet. Runners have to stay in the three-foot lane on any play at 1B. If they veer into the grass, they can be called for interference.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Sun May 02 12:20 am

This isn't fair. To throw it THAT HARD from that arm angle?? My goodness. And that first pitch he throws to Escobar is just ridiculous.

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10525
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 214 times
Age: 45

Re: MLB News

Post by davescharf » Sun May 02 7:35 am

That 101mph two seam fastball he threw the other day was just as ridiculous
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Thu May 13 5:01 pm

This is so nasty

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9784
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 170 times
Age: 48

Re: MLB News

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 13 7:29 pm

That's just WRONG
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 475 times
Age: 54

Re: MLB News

Post by frozen4champs » Thu May 13 7:38 pm

Just a fun day at the ballpark in San Diego

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 13 9:33 pm

And the guy that got knocked out didn’t want to press charges? :shock:

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Fri May 14 9:59 am



Hitting is hard.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14828
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: MLB News

Post by streakygopher » Fri May 14 10:04 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri May 14 9:59 am


Hitting is hard.
Upward, inward. Good luck.

Looks like my Wiffle Ball delivery. :D

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5272
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by gopher6 » Fri May 14 12:35 pm

MLB gives Athletics right to negotiate new stadium in other cities
https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/ ... ve-oakland

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Fri May 14 10:37 pm

Submarine pitchers are notorious for shutting down batters. Batters are unfamiliar with arm angle due to rareness of submarine pitchers.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11543
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 439 times
Age: 46

Re: MLB News

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 18 10:58 am

According to this website, Cleveland's top paid starting pitcher is making $680k this season. That's amazing.

The Mets 5th highest paid starting pitcher is making $9.7M (just less than the Twins top paid pitcher, Pineda, at $10M).

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/sa ... g-pitcher/

Cleveland Starting Pitching salaries
1. Bieber $680k
2. Plesac $590k
3. Civale $587k
4. Hentges $570k

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2910
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Maize » Tue May 18 12:50 pm

Impossible. Everyone knows the only possible way to win baseball games is to spend billions on free agents.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11543
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 439 times
Age: 46

Re: MLB News

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 18 1:28 pm

Maize wrote:
Tue May 18 12:50 pm
Impossible. Everyone knows the only possible way to win baseball games is to spend billions on free agents.
If you don't draft well and coach up pitchers...

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Tue May 18 1:50 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue May 18 1:28 pm
Maize wrote:
Tue May 18 12:50 pm
Impossible. Everyone knows the only possible way to win baseball games is to spend billions on free agents.
If you don't draft well and coach up pitchers...
One of the lead guys who were responsible for scouting and drafting most of those pitchers is in charge in Minnesota now. 🤷‍♂️
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Tue May 18 7:20 pm

No, we must need a new stadium to be relevant again.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10525
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 214 times
Age: 45

Re: MLB News

Post by davescharf » Wed May 19 10:54 pm

In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed May 19 10:56 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
Earl Weaver.
Billy Martin

Those are the two that come to mind IMMEDIATELY.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed May 19 11:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed May 19 10:56 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
Earl Weaver.
Billy Martin

Those are the two that come to mind IMMEDIATELY.
Billy Martin isn't top 10. He didn't manage long enough (though I bet he's probably up there in percentage of games he got booted from).

Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire are top 10 (IIRC Bobby Cox is still the record holder). Jim Leyland would be a guess for me too. I'd imagine Earl Weaver is top 10. Leo Durocher had a temper too so he'd probably be near the top 10, though I dunno how many times managers got ran back in his era. I bet Bruce Bochy is too. He was a manager for 25ish years and it seems like I watched him get the boot at least 30 times managing San Francisco.

Lou Piniella was always one of my favorite guys to watch get thrown out, but I don't think he managed long enough to crack the top 10.
Last edited by Beauner on Wed May 19 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5297
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 61 times
Age: 45

Re: MLB News

Post by J22 » Wed May 19 11:07 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
I know Bobby Cox is #1. Pretty sure that Gardenhire is top 10. Earl Weaver, Lou Pinella, Tommy Lasorda, Leo Durocher. Maybe Joe Torre and Connie Mack just because they were around forever?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed May 19 11:08 pm

I cheated after I answered and I am of the belief that Billy did not manage long enough, like you said. Gardy was 6. I had forgotten about some of the old-timers when coaches were not a revolving door.,
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed May 19 11:13 pm

J22 wrote:
Wed May 19 11:07 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
I know Bobby Cox is #1. Pretty sure that Gardenhire is top 10. Earl Weaver, Lou Pinella, Tommy Lasorda, Leo Durocher. Maybe Joe Torre and Connie Mack just because they were around forever?
Ooh Lasorda and Torre are good guesses based on longevity, though Lasorda never seemed to me to be the type to get ejected (admittedly he was done managing when I was 9 years old). He always seemed too loveable to get booted. 🤣
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33017
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by The Rube » Wed May 19 11:17 pm

Earl was a classic, NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7438
Joined: Wed Oct 26 4:21 pm
Location: The crease
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Thirty-Four » Thu May 20 1:03 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed May 19 11:05 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed May 19 10:56 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
Earl Weaver.
Billy Martin

Those are the two that come to mind IMMEDIATELY.
Billy Martin isn't top 10. He didn't manage long enough (though I bet he's probably up there in percentage of games he got booted from).

Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire are top 10 (IIRC Bobby Cox is still the record holder). Jim Leyland would be a guess for me too. I'd imagine Earl Weaver is top 10. Leo Durocher had a temper too so he'd probably be near the top 10, though I dunno how many times managers got ran back in his era. I bet Bruce Bochy is too. He was a manager for 25ish years and it seems like I watched him get the boot at least 30 times managing San Francisco.

Lou Piniella was always one of my favorite guys to watch get thrown out, but I don't think he managed long enough to crack the top 10.
Billy Martin managed something like 20 years. 😉

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Thu May 20 8:09 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Thu May 20 1:03 am
Beauner wrote:
Wed May 19 11:05 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed May 19 10:56 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed May 19 10:54 pm
In the Twins Thread I mentioned a discussion with a friend about Tony LaRussa and we got to talking about manager ejections .

How many of the 10 managers do you think you can name that have the most all time ejections? For reference LaRussa is #5 on the list
Earl Weaver.
Billy Martin

Those are the two that come to mind IMMEDIATELY.
Billy Martin isn't top 10. He didn't manage long enough (though I bet he's probably up there in percentage of games he got booted from).

Bobby Cox and Ron Gardenhire are top 10 (IIRC Bobby Cox is still the record holder). Jim Leyland would be a guess for me too. I'd imagine Earl Weaver is top 10. Leo Durocher had a temper too so he'd probably be near the top 10, though I dunno how many times managers got ran back in his era. I bet Bruce Bochy is too. He was a manager for 25ish years and it seems like I watched him get the boot at least 30 times managing San Francisco.

Lou Piniella was always one of my favorite guys to watch get thrown out, but I don't think he managed long enough to crack the top 10.
Billy Martin managed something like 20 years. 😉
Only like 2200 games. The other guys I mentioned all were at least 2600 except Gardy who we all know had a penchant for getting ejected for no reason.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7494
Joined: Fri Jan 09 8:15 am
Location: Maplewood
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: MLB News

Post by Iceburg » Thu May 20 8:27 am

Image

Retired Thread Police

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11543
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 439 times
Age: 46

Re: MLB News

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 20 8:35 am

Iceburg wrote:
Thu May 20 8:27 am
Here’s the list

https://www.baseball-reference.com/lead ... reer.shtml
Bobby cox with a bullet.

Ejected out of 162 games (an entire season's worth is pretty impressive).

LaRussa pretty mild mannered considering he just passed Gardy but has 18 more years of coaching under his belt.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: MLB News

Post by Zwak » Wed May 26 10:08 am

New Era came out with these "local market" baseball hats that were absolutely hideous. They received so much flak that they pulled them off their website hours later.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315 ... ia-mockery

Image
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: MLB News

Post by JC65 » Wed May 26 10:28 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 26 10:08 am
New Era came out with these "local market" baseball hats that were absolutely hideous. They received so much flak that they pulled them off their website hours later.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315 ... ia-mockery

Image
I'm so absolutely removed from what might be considered fashion that my opinion shouldn't count... but wtf?

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: MLB News

Post by Zwak » Wed May 26 10:59 am

JC65 wrote:
Wed May 26 10:28 am
Zwak wrote:
Wed May 26 10:08 am
New Era came out with these "local market" baseball hats that were absolutely hideous. They received so much flak that they pulled them off their website hours later.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315 ... ia-mockery

Image
I'm so absolutely removed from what might be considered fashion that my opinion shouldn't count... but wtf?
I'm far from a fashion expert myself but I often wish companies would realize that busier is not always better when it comes to fan apparel.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 26 11:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: those are terrible!
What’s the green blob on ours?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 475 times
Age: 54

Re: MLB News

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 26 11:41 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 26 11:24 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: those are terrible!
What’s the green blob on ours?
Minneapolis Lakes?

User avatar
CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Feb 19 3:04 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: MLB News

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Wed May 26 11:44 am

There is a New York Yankees hat with a pizza slice on it. Go Pizza Slices!!!!! Who wouldn't want to root for the pizza slices? :lol: #CantStandTheYankees

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29826
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Beauner » Wed May 26 11:47 am

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: MLB News

Post by Zwak » Wed May 26 11:48 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 26 11:24 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: those are terrible!
What’s the green blob on ours?
More insight here about the Twins hat specifically.

https://www.twinkietown.com/2021/5/25/2 ... f-all-time
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Feb 19 3:04 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: MLB News

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Wed May 26 11:50 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed May 26 11:41 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 26 11:24 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: those are terrible!
What’s the green blob on ours?
Minneapolis Lakes?
Yeah it is "suppose" to be grass around lakes. I found an article about the hat where the writer says it looks like a kindergartener drawing the earth. :D

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17590
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 422 times
Contact:

Re: MLB News

Post by Slap Shot » Wed May 26 1:32 pm

Can't thank them enough for the juicy lucy on the back. Maybe the tomahawk on the side was a bit too much? :lol:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: MLB News

Post by Zwak » Wed May 26 1:39 pm

I honestly wonder if any of them actually did get sold in that short time which will likely make them a collector's item.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: MLB News

Post by JC65 » Wed May 26 1:42 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed May 26 1:32 pm
Can't thank them enough for the juicy lucy on the back. Maybe the tomahawk on the side was a bit too much? :lol:
That looks nothing like a Jucy Lucy, but I give them credit for knowing to whom Paul Bunyan's Ax belongs.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: MLB News

Post by JC65 » Wed May 26 1:43 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 26 1:39 pm
I honestly wonder if any of them actually did get sold in that short time which will likely make them a collector's item.
They'll be donated and be worn in some impoverished nation like the "Championship" t-shirts of the losing teams.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9784
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 170 times
Age: 48

Re: MLB News

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 26 3:04 pm

CollegeHockeyAddict wrote:
Wed May 26 11:50 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed May 26 11:41 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 26 11:24 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: those are terrible!
What’s the green blob on ours?
Minneapolis Lakes?
Yeah it is "suppose" to be grass around lakes. I found an article about the hat where the writer says it looks like a kindergartener drawing the earth. :D
I think it's meant to be Cedar, Lake of the Isles and Calhoun
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8693
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times
Age: 33

Re: MLB News

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 26 3:41 pm

Image

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 475 times
Age: 54

Re: MLB News

Post by frozen4champs » Thu May 27 3:22 pm

The Pirates playing Pirates baseball. :shock:

Post Reply