MLB News

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Re: MLB News

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Fri Oct 07 10:18 pm

Sure looked like Ryan Howard ruptured an Achilles on that last out. Hope not but that looked bad.

Tee09
Golden
Golden

Post by Tee09 » Fri Oct 07 10:20 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Sure looked like Ryan Howard ruptured an Achilles on that last out. Hope not but that looked bad.

I couldn't see it and I just assumed he didn't run it out. Hope he's OK. That's a rough way to end the year.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Fri Oct 07 10:21 pm

Handyman wrote:Means nothing...none of those years did Gardy have any starters like Max Sherzer ;)

Almost as good as Josh Ham... I mean Delmon Young.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Handyman » Fri Oct 07 11:34 pm

Carlos Gomez, Nicky Punto and Delmonzy all moved on in the playoffs...the Twins barely won enough games to be considered a Major League squad. Irony sucks sometimes :(
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Fri Oct 07 11:35 pm

Irony? Sounds more like piss-poor performance by the GM.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Oct 07 11:36 pm

You are not allowed to talk nice about Nicky P...that is the ultimate sin! You have to blame irony you cannot blame the Twins or Bill Smith for that!

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Fri Oct 07 11:41 pm

Handyman wrote:You are not allowed to talk nice about Nicky P...that is the ultimate sin! You have to blame irony you cannot blame the Twins or Bill Smith for that!

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Oct 07 11:50 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
Handyman wrote:You are not allowed to talk nice about Nicky P...that is the ultimate sin! You have to blame irony you cannot blame the Twins or Bill Smith for that!

Yeah because the Twins needed ANOTHER middle infielder with 0 ability to hit and an incredible ability to end up on the DL for extended periods of time. :lol:

Not to mention with Gardenhire's perma-boner for Punto, he woulda talked Smith into a 5 year, 40 million dollar deal for Punto, which would rival only Mauer's contract for worst decision ever made by a GM. Ever.

And before I get ripped for saying the Mauer contract sucks, I said it before they signed him that if they are going to put 20-25 million/year into Joe they better be paying 115-120 million to the rest of the roster too, because putting 20-25% of your payroll in one player who has never driven in or scored 100 runs is just plain asinine. Lo and behold, the Twins did just that. Hooray.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Oct 07 11:56 pm

I would take Nicky over any of the options we have at 2nd, 3rd and SS. He is better than all of them combined. And his contract was no worse than Nishi's who is at best a AA fielder and A hitter.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Oct 08 12:00 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE8On1h1UNg[/youtube]

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Oct 08 12:01 am

Handyman wrote:I would take Nicky over any of the options we have at 2nd, 3rd and SS. He is better than all of them combined. And his contract was no worse than Nishi's who is at best a AA fielder and A hitter.

Handy, what the f*k are you talking about? :D I think Nishioka is the first ball player where I entertained thoughts of being a better hitter than said player.

Tee09
Golden
Golden

Post by Tee09 » Sat Oct 08 1:37 pm

BTW Delmon is out of the ALCS with an oblique injury. Make of that what you will.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sat Oct 08 3:53 pm

Tee09 wrote:No more obnoxious east coast teams left. HOOORAY!

See, I'm kind of conflicted about this. I'm glad to see the Yankees lose, but that also makes the rest of the playoffs less interesting to me. It more fun when I have someone to cheer against. The only team left that I don't like is Milwaukee. I'm a little dismayed at how much love the Brewers are getting around here. I'm sorry, but I can't cheer for a team from Wisconsin. Not to mention Bud effin Selig.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by george » Mon Oct 10 7:34 am

HockeyBum wrote:

See, I'm kind of conflicted about this. I'm glad to see the Yankees lose, but that also makes the rest of the playoffs less interesting to me. It more fun when I have someone to cheer against. The only team left that I don't like is Milwaukee. I'm a little dismayed at how much love the Brewers are getting around here. I'm sorry, but I can't cheer for a team from Wisconsin. Not to mention Bud effin Selig.

And his spawn. Good point. Die Brewers!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Oct 10 9:59 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:

Handy, what the f*k are you talking about? :D I think Nishioka is the first ball player where I entertained thoughts of being a better hitter than said player.

Well I already said once Nishi belonged on a semi pro team in Cape Cod...I was trying to be nice this time ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Oct 10 10:03 am

Handyman wrote:I would take Nicky over any of the options we have at 2nd, 3rd and SS. He is better than all of them combined. And his contract was no worse than Nishi's who is at best a AA fielder and A hitter.

:dup:
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Oct 10 9:49 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:

:dup:

He now has 3 career postseason RBI to Baby J's 1. For anyone who's counting. :)

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Oct 11 4:11 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:He now has 3 career postseason RBI to Baby J's 1. For anyone who's counting. :)

But he slides head first into first base so he should not be allowed to play baseball...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by sunbone » Tue Oct 11 4:19 pm

Just because Punto sucks less than the Twins infielders doesn't mean he doesn't still suck. How disturbing is it as a Twins fan that people are pining for the Nick Punto era? :lol:

Neely
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Neely » Tue Oct 11 5:28 pm

HockeyBum wrote:

I'm a lifelong Brewer fan and even I have trouble rooting for these guys some times. Down 7-2 last night Braun hits a rocket double...nice. But remember, you are down 7-2, no "beast" signs, no title belt motions. I'm fine with a little swagger but there is a time and place. Having waited nearly 30 years for a return to the WS I really want them to win but do it with class. My fear is they are just too inexperienced to pull it off.

As for Nick Punto, I am one of the last people that would ever join his fan club (and yes, I hate the sliding into first) but even I made a comment this fall at a Twin's game that "I'd rather have Punto at short than anyone we have right now." That is so sad a statement I almost get sick to my stomach when I say it. I will say I am glad to see him having success this post-season. He's just filling a role and if that had been all he was asked to do here I think people wouldn't have the reaction to him that they do.
I know what I know. I know what I don't know. But I don't know what I don't know.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 286 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 11 6:59 pm

Saying Punto would be an improvement is like saying crap tastes better than :censored:.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Tue Oct 11 7:01 pm

THat was one of the worst national anthems I have ever heard. Awful.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Oct 11 9:03 pm

Neely wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:

I'm a lifelong Brewer fan and even I have trouble rooting for these guys some times. Down 7-2 last night Braun hits a rocket double...nice. But remember, you are down 7-2, no "beast" signs, no title belt motions. I'm fine with a little swagger but there is a time and place. Having waited nearly 30 years for a return to the WS I really want them to win but do it with class. My fear is they are just too inexperienced to pull it off.

I think Aaron Rodgers was in attendance which is why he did it. But yeah, not a good time for that.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Oct 12 12:11 pm

Crazy that Boston lost Franconna and Epstein. Going to be tough to replace both of them. Epstein is kind of a cool story becoming the youngest GM in MLB history when he took over the Red Sox at 28.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Oct 12 1:49 pm

Slap Shot wrote:Saying Punto would be an improvement is like saying crap tastes better than :censored:.

That may be true, but he's still better than the current Twins shortstop or 2nd base options. :ahhh:
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 437 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Oct 12 7:43 pm

Digging the Cards.

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Thu Oct 13 11:25 am

Greyeagle wrote:Digging the Cards.

Normally I always root against the Cardinals because I can't stand the Professor and their condescending fans. But the Brewers are the most unlikable bunch of players I have seen in quite some time and have found myself rooting for Little Nicky and crew.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 13 11:32 am

Best baseball town in the country.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Riff Raff
Golden
Golden

Post by Riff Raff » Thu Oct 13 12:15 pm

Viking wrote:

Best baseball town in the country.

yup....just ask anyone in St. Louis - they'll tell ya as much :)

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Oct 13 3:35 pm

Better than Cubs fans...do they even know the team plays baseball? When I was there all they talked about was Wrigley never about the actual team.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Thu Oct 13 5:43 pm

Delmon with (2) HR today. 5 now for the playoffs.

Good thing Jim Leyland never got the memo that he couldn't hit.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Oct 13 5:45 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Delmon with (2) HR today. 5 now for the playoffs.

Damn it. You beat me to the post. If Miguel Cabrera coulda picked up the plow yesterday he woulda had the go-ahead RBI in the 8th inning but Cabrera was running like Butch Husky with 1 leg.
He's doing all this while hurt too. When was the last time a Twins player toughed out an injury because his team needed it? 8 years ago?

Man Delmon Young is awesome.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Oct 13 6:34 pm

Lol at the Brewers having players more unlikable than whiners like Carpenter and boring as Tim Duncan Pujols.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Alby22
Rookie
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Alby22 » Thu Oct 13 6:37 pm

Beauner wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:Delmon with (2) HR today. 5 now for the playoffs.

Damn it. You beat me to the post. If Miguel Cabrera coulda picked up the plow yesterday he woulda had the go-ahead RBI in the 8th inning but Cabrera was running like Butch Husky with 1 leg.
He's doing all this while hurt too. When was the last time a Twins player toughed out an injury because his team needed it? 8 years ago?

Man Delmon Young is awesome.

Dont you get it, soon you will see a graph that shows a bunch of lines that explains he's just lucky to have 5 HR's in the playoffs to this point. Besides we got a local "A" ball player in that trade for him. You cant have to many of them!!! :D :D

Lars Sauve
Rookie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Lars Sauve » Thu Oct 13 7:20 pm

My boy Maiani is loving him.
Be net-crashing, steel-driving men, like Oh Henry!

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Thu Oct 13 7:42 pm

Alby22 wrote:Dont you get it, soon you will see a graph that shows a bunch of lines that explains he's just lucky to have 5 HR's in the playoffs to this point. Besides we got a local "A" ball player in that trade for him. You cant have to many of them!!! :D :D

Oh man, now DX'll get to 10,000 by sunup.
Last edited by Armadillo on Thu Oct 13 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Oct 13 9:43 pm

Anyone hear Pujols shout the f bomb after that? Terrible person.

:roll:

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Thu Oct 13 11:15 pm

trixR4kids wrote:Anyone hear Pujols shout the f bomb after that? Terrible person.

trix, is this your way of sticking up for Nyjer Morgan, one of the biggest tools in all of pro sports?

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Thu Oct 13 11:18 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:Anyone hear Pujols shout the f bomb after that? Terrible person.

trix, is this your way of sticking up for Nyjer Morgan, one of the biggest tools in all of pro sports?

Don't slander Tony Plush now.

eddieshore
Veteran

Post by eddieshore » Fri Oct 14 11:56 am

Fodder for the Delmon Young conversation:

http://www.minnpost.com/aarongleeman/20 ... lmon_young

monty
Golden
Golden

Post by monty » Fri Oct 14 12:23 pm

eddieshore wrote:Fodder for the Delmon Young conversation:

maybe DX is actually Gleeman

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Fri Oct 14 12:36 pm

Couldn't agree more with that article. People need to calm down on the Delmania. And I love the Lemke reference. :lol:

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Oct 14 1:23 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:

Lol, the guy has fun and is a great team player. He took offense to Carpenter barking at him and charged the mound when a guy threw a fastball at his head. None of this indicates that he's a tool to me. A lot of people hate on him or act like he's crazy but I can't say I really get it. Not that I really give a :censored:

Carpenter is probably one of the biggest whiners/tools in all of sports (excluding the NBA which is hardly a sport) and for some reason everyone wants to side with him on this one.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Oct 14 9:09 pm

Brewers defense is looking like their infield is loaded with a bunch of Valencia clones. :mrgreen:

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Oct 14 9:23 pm

Yeah that's been the biggest issue with the team by far. Yuni and post injury Weeks are abysmal at D.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Fri Oct 14 11:29 pm

Ah yeah. It's nice to be vindicated.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Oct 15 10:46 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:

Dude, it is not impressive being "vindicated" by an article on Minnpost. (and I use the word article loosely since it is a glorified blog) ;) You can be happy but once again the FACTS are speaking for themselves. At the moment Delmon Young is a beast and we traded him for 12 copies of Minnpost and some graphs for you ;)

All Delmon is proving is that once players get out of here they seem to shine. I wonder why that is...and you ever notice guys that "wore out their welcome" here always seem to be loved elsewhere? I wonder why THAT is...

Oh and it doesnt matter if it is only one year, or one postseason, because he has done more with the Tigers than anyone on the Twins has done (including the "Man With the Quarter Payroll Salary") since AJ Pierzyinski left. You remember him, he is the guy who actually helped lead the Twins to the ALCS, was traded then won a WS in Chicago and now everyone boos him for no reason.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Oct 15 11:21 am

At the moment Yuniesky Betancourt is a beast.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Oct 15 11:35 am

Handyman wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

Dude, it is not impressive being "vindicated" by an article on Minnpost. (and I use the word article loosely since it is a glorified blog) ;) You can be happy but once again the FACTS are speaking for themselves. At the moment Delmon Young is a beast and we traded him for 12 copies of Minnpost and some graphs for you ;)

All Delmon is proving is that once players get out of here they seem to shine. I wonder why that is...and you ever notice guys that "wore out their welcome" here always seem to be loved elsewhere? I wonder why THAT is...

Oh and it doesnt matter if it is only one year, or one postseason, because he has done more with the Tigers than anyone on the Twins has done (including the "Man With the Quarter Payroll Salary") since AJ Pierzyinski left. You remember him, he is the guy who actually helped lead the Twins to the ALCS, was traded then won a WS in Chicago and now everyone boos him for no reason.

Duder, it's Aaron Gleeman. I rest my case.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Oct 15 12:23 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
Handyman wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

Paul Allen LOVES Gleeman.
I rest my case.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Oct 15 12:26 pm

Sconnies love beer. Does that make beer bad?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Oct 15 12:33 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Sconnies love beer. Does that make beer bad?

Touche.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Oct 15 12:36 pm

Beauner wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Sconnies love beer. Does that make beer bad?

Touche.

:D

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Sun Oct 16 10:58 pm

Thank you St. Louis!!!

"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Sun Oct 16 11:08 pm

Oh, thank God!

I think Packers and Brewers championships in the same calendar year as Vikings and Twins last-place finishes would've done Minnesotans in. It could've been bad enough that we would've started eating fish that's been soaked in poison.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Oct 16 11:10 pm

And Punto in the World Series!

dryfly
Veteran

Post by dryfly » Sun Oct 16 11:10 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:And Punto in the World Series!

MVP MVP MVP!!!!

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sun Oct 16 11:15 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
Handyman wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

I like Gleeman. Agree with most of his takes, is usually a thorough researcher and actually bothers to understand game theory (which is one of many reasons why I'm guessing he isn't a Gardy guy). Having said that, his case against Delmon is embarrassing. Let's start with his assertion that "the Twins played him nearly every day for three and a half seasons." That is flat out untrue and he knows it. In '09 he platooned in LF (started just over 100 games so it was basically a 60/40 platoon situation) and then this year he hardly played every day either given his injuries. So that's a far cry from being handed the everyday starting job. The comparisons to Mark Lemke, Adam Kennedy and Cody Ross are ludicrous and nothing more than an attempt to plant the belief in the reader's mind that his playoff performance was a complete fluke. That he never showed these kind of numbers before, etc. If he's going to compare DY's postseason to anyone else's why doesn't he start with David Ortiz? Seriously. They were both former Twins. Both showed good power the year before they were given away for nothing. And both hit 5 home runs in a postseason. I guess it doesn't fit quite as well though with the meme that the guy sucks, can't hit a baseball, is a clubhouse cancer and doesn't write a blog...

dryfly
Veteran

Post by dryfly » Sun Oct 16 11:20 pm

Armadillo wrote:Oh, thank God!

I think Packers and Brewers championships in the same calendar year as Vikings and Twins last-place finishes would've done Minnesotans in. It could've been bad enough that we would've started eating fish that's been soaked in poison.

WTF? They don't even have a WNBA franchise [do they?]...

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Oct 17 9:40 am

Leyland just got destroyed by RW in this series. What a choker.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Oct 17 10:09 am

Getting destroyed by the defending AL Champs is choking? What does that mean Ron Gardenhire does every season? ;)

Lets review, other Central teams make the playoffs they make it out of the first round...Gardy makes it and he is lucky to make it to a 4th game.

I know you are bitter sunbone but you are not nearly as good at it as Scooby is :) :dup:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Oct 17 10:34 am

Handyman wrote:Getting destroyed by the defending AL Champs is choking? What does that mean Ron Gardenhire does every season? ;)

Lets review, other Central teams make the playoffs they make it out of the first round...Gardy makes it and he is lucky to make it to a 4th game.

I know you are bitter sunbone but you are not nearly as good at it as Scooby is :) :dup:

Yes, any time a team loses that means the manager choked. I learned from you guys that it doesn't matter what the talent of the two teams is, if one team loses that is a managerial choke job. It is my new philosophy and I'm going with it. Can't wait to see who is better, RW or LaRussa. :wink:

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Oct 17 10:42 am

sunbone wrote:
Handyman wrote:Getting destroyed by the defending AL Champs is choking? What does that mean Ron Gardenhire does every season? ;)

Yes, any time a team loses that means the manager choked. I learned from you guys that it doesn't matter what the talent of the two teams is, if one team loses that is a managerial choke job. It is my new philosophy and I'm going with it. Can't wait to see who is better, RW or LaRussa. :wink:

No, just any time a team loses 12 times in a row. Or 21 out of their last 27...

As Barreiro stated a week or two ago, the Yankees have not advanced out of the first round at any time since 2002 that they weren't playing the Twins. 4 - 0 series record against Genius & Co., and 3 - 8 against everyone else. So the choke factor is much more than just one series. I would even dare to call it a trend. :wink:

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Oct 17 10:52 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

As Barreiro stated a week or two ago, the Yankees have not advanced out of the first round at any time since 2002 that they weren't playing the Twins. 4 - 0 series record against Genius & Co., and 3 - 8 against everyone else. So the choke factor is much more than just one series. I would even dare to call it a trend. :wink:

I'm with you. I changed my philosophy. And I bet if you switched rosters in those 4 series Gardy would have still choked and lost with the Yankees and Girardi and Torre would have won with the Twins every time.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Oct 17 11:06 am

sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

I'm with you. I changed my philosophy. And I bet if you switched rosters in those 4 series Gardy would have still choked and lost with the Yankees and Girardi and Torre would have won with the Twins every time.

I bet he would have, too. As evidenced by the '06 series against the A's, at home, when we had the AL MVP and AL Cy Young on our roster and got swept. We finally have common ground on the Twins.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Oct 17 11:27 am

Agreed, Gardy got his lunch handed to him by Ken Macha that series. Which was weird because then Macha choked, gettting totally annihilated by Jim Leyland in the ALCS. :wink: Okay, I'll stop. Other than to say I hope RW beats the living daylights out of the Drunken Professor in the Series. :D

Greyeagle
Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 437 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Oct 17 12:12 pm

dryfly wrote:
Armadillo wrote:Oh, thank God!

WTF? They don't even have a WNBA franchise [do they?]...

I found out this year MN has a WNBA team.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Oct 17 12:33 pm

Gardy gets to the playoffs year after year with scrub pitching and no Morneau year after year. If the Tigers lost Verlander, Cabrera and Scherzer, then you might be able to compare Leyland to Gardy.

Obviously Gardy's accomplishments (or lack thereof) in the playoffs is disappointing but he does more with less year after year. Not saying you should hang onto him forever but the Twins have bigger issues than Gardy's managing. Bill Smith might be worse than Jim Hendry.

Tee09
Golden
Golden

Post by Tee09 » Mon Oct 17 12:47 pm

trixR4kids wrote:Bill Smith might be worse than Jim Hendry.

BLASPHEMY. The Jim Hendry limit theorem clearly states that the worst non-Hendry GMs tend to a limit of .87 Hendry Suckage Units. Even if Bill Smith were to suck twice as much starting tomorrow, Jim Hendry would find a way to pay Alfonso Soriano twice as much.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Mon Oct 17 9:25 pm

Yeah because losing 21 of 27 is indicative of managerial skill when the season is over and you're just trying to get your AAA and AA players playing time. Rofl.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Oct 17 9:35 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Yeah because losing 21 of 27 is indicative of managerial skill when the season is over and you're just trying to get your AAA and AA players playing time. Rofl.

Ron Gardenhire is 6 - 21 in the postseason. Hence he's lost 21 of 27.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Mon Oct 17 9:36 pm

Wow. I completely missed that. My apologies.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Oct 17 9:56 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Wow. I completely missed that. My apologies.

No worries. :wink:

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Oct 17 10:17 pm

Tee09 wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:Bill Smith might be worse than Jim Hendry.

BLASPHEMY. The Jim Hendry limit theorem clearly states that the worst non-Hendry GMs tend to a limit of .87 Hendry Suckage Units. Even if Bill Smith were to suck twice as much starting tomorrow, Jim Hendry would find a way to pay Alfonso Soriano twice as much.

Omar Minaya should get his own limit theorem :D

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Tue Oct 18 10:05 am

World Series starts tomorrow night, all games on FOX. "Go Rangers".
Game 1: 10/19 @ 7PM - TEX @ STL
Game 2: 10/20 @ 7PM - TEX @ STL
Game 3: 10/22 @ 7PM - STL @ TEX
Game 4: 10/23 @ 7PM - STL @ TEX
*Game 5: 10/24 @ 7PM - STL @ TEX
*Game 6: 10/26 @ 7PM - TEX @ STL
*Game 7: 10/27 @ 7PM - TEX @ STL
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice