NFL NEWS

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Post Reply
User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4590
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

NFL NEWS

Post by gopher6 » Mon Aug 28 7:31 pm

OAKLAND RAIDERS HAVE GONE BACK AGAIN THEY SIGNED
JEFF GEORGE TO GET THE BALL TO MOSS!!! :drunk:

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Thu Sep 07 10:34 pm

Nice to see Culpepper hasn't lost his touch when the game is on the line. Two late 4th quarter INTs. Get your roll on Pep.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5510
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Cardinal » Thu Sep 07 10:40 pm

Hammy wrote:Nice to see Culpepper hasn't lost his touch when the game is on the line. Two late 4th quarter INTs. Get your roll on Pep.


Have to love Joey Porter, after picking off Daunte, taking it to the house, and then sacking him on the next series, "getting his roll on" ala Daunte. :lol:

User avatar
jamwall
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sat Mar 05 10:28 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Age: 48

Post by jamwall » Thu Sep 07 10:48 pm

Cardinal wrote:
Hammy wrote:Nice to see Culpepper hasn't lost his touch when the game is on the line. Two late 4th quarter INTs. Get your roll on Pep.


Have to love Joey Porter, after picking off Daunte, taking it to the house, and then sacking him on the next series, "getting his roll on" ala Daunte. :lol:


oh GOD!

i HATED daunte's little "gettin' the roll on" move when he was playing here.

another annoying daunte trademark was his "i'm excited so i'm going to jump up and down like an idiot" move. :puke:
Co-National Champs: 1929
AAU National Champs: 1940
NCAA National Champs: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003...

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29726
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times
Contact:

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 07 10:58 pm

Dear Miami,

Hah. Suckers.

Sincerely,

Minnesota

(I liked Dante until he pulled his contract shenanigans)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
FLAGGUY
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Feb 11 1:01 am
Location: looking to find loans for all Gopher fans
Age: 40

Post by FLAGGUY » Thu Sep 07 11:40 pm

Ive never heard Madden admit it was just a bad throw by Daunte....
His Int to TD ratio is getting as bad as Favre's laitly

Larsen
Rookie
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Feb 11 11:03 pm

Post by Larsen » Fri Sep 08 8:18 am

FLAGGUY wrote:Ive never heard Madden admit it was just a bad throw by Daunte....
His Int to TD ratio is getting as bad as Favre's laitly


Uh oh.... the "racists" are coming out of the woodwork. :P

2 - 4th quarter interceptions, 49.6 passer rating... Way to get yer roll on Daunte... you big idiot.

User avatar
Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5510
Joined: Sun Apr 13 9:05 pm
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Sep 08 8:21 am

FLAGGUY wrote:laitly


Seriously?

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:12 pm
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Fri Sep 08 8:24 am

Larsen wrote:
FLAGGUY wrote:Ive never heard Madden admit it was just a bad throw by Daunte....
His Int to TD ratio is getting as bad as Favre's laitly


Uh oh.... the "racists" are coming out of the woodwork. :P

2 - 4th quarter interceptions, 49.6 passer rating... Way to get yer roll on Daunte... you big idiot.


One sports writer I read said that Daunte looked frustrated....kind word for he looked confused.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Fri Sep 08 8:34 am

PrideOnIce wrote:One sports writer I read said that Daunte looked frustrated....kind word for he looked confused.


Culpepper will have his moments in Miami where he'll shine and have big games. Then the press will laud him and laud the Dolphins for making the trade. But, as Vikes fans saw many times, it is the big games (and in the clutch) where he'll falter 99% of the time. It is only a matter of time before the INTs and the fumbles will start to happen in bunches. It will be interesting to see if (or how long) the honeymoon lasts in Miami.

I have never thought Culpepper was a smart QB (and spare me the racism accusations because I have thought the same thing about some white QBs too). The more you make him think out there, the better the chances are that he'll screw up. Great physical skills but a 10 cent head.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

joftos
Veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Apr 11 1:15 pm
Contact:

Post by joftos » Fri Sep 08 1:38 pm

Former Viking CB Brian Williams arrested over the weekend for DUI. Man am I glad that didn't happen while he was here!!!

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 27505
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times
Age: 31

Post by Beauner » Fri Sep 08 1:43 pm

when I was watching earlier I saw that Daunte was like 13 of 20 or something..what happened?
I didn't get a chance to see any of the game at all because I had a baseball meeting and then I was watching the Twins "game".
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Sun Sep 10 5:36 pm

Holy cow are the Packers brutal. In every aspect of the game, they just suck! :shock:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Go4 Guy
Veteran
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Mar 13 1:01 pm
Location: Downtown Minneapolis

Post by Go4 Guy » Sun Sep 10 5:50 pm

Hammy wrote:Holy cow are the Packers brutal. In every aspect of the game, they just suck! :shock:


that is being polite....

Nice job Favre.... game isn't over 5 seconds and he is already halfway to the lockerroom... he should have retired...I think he knows it!

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13868
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Sep 11 10:35 am

Anybody see the hit on Trent Green? I'd say illegal, but not dirty. Mismatch in size made it all the more nasty. Should have been a penalty as he was clearly in a QB slide. The injury came when he slammed his head on the turf.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 11 11:05 am

It was pretty tough to say it was a sure penalty. Yeah, Green did slide but he did it late and the momentum of the defensive player would have been pretty tough to stop at that stage (especially as he was partially knocked that way by a Chiefs player). I think the refs probably saw it this way. The guys on TV that I heard seemed to agree.

On the other hand, the Detroit-Seattle game had a ridiculous penalty called by the ref. A blitzing defensive player hits the QB in a pretty normal fashion but sort of lunged at the last second and the blitzer slightly hit the QB in the back with his helmet. The ref called a roughing the QB for leading with the helmet. The replay showed the guy put a pretty normal shot on him. The TV guys were like, "I don't know how else you are supposed to tackle a guy". I immediately thought the the NFL should start putting a ballerina outfit on QBs for how delicate they seem to think they are. :roll:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Paladin
Veteran
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Apr 09 5:29 pm
Location: Eagan

Post by Paladin » Mon Sep 11 4:55 pm

Koren Robinson agrees to a two-year deal with the Packers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5955056
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8119
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Sep 11 7:44 pm

Paladin wrote:Koren Robinson agrees to a two-year deal with the Packers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5955056


Good luck with him!

User avatar
DrunkHockeyGuy
Veteran
Posts: 4584
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:49 am
Location: Centerville
Age: 41

Post by DrunkHockeyGuy » Mon Sep 11 9:01 pm

So is the league not going to suspend him for the year then?
Apparently, I am a little bitch, oh the horror.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 11 9:14 pm

DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:So is the league not going to suspend him for the year then?


I was wondering what the deal is with that too.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Tue Sep 12 8:06 am

Oakland is looking.... :puke:

Be careful what you wish for Mr. Moss. :shock:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4339
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times
Age: 59

Post by Chris83 » Tue Sep 12 8:16 am

Hammy wrote:Oakland is looking.... :puke:

Be careful what you wish for Mr. Moss. :shock:


Speaking of Randy...Hey "DAWG", how's that whole Oakland experience working out for you? :rotflmao:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
southernmn
Rookie
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Nov 16 1:35 pm
Location: Southern Minnesota

Post by southernmn » Tue Sep 12 8:37 am

Hammy wrote:
DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:So is the league not going to suspend him for the year then?


I was wondering what the deal is with that too.


The NFL can't suspend him till he has been convicted of drunk driving.

Leaglly speaking, he is still innocent. Assuming that he will plead guilty when he goes to court in St. Peter next month, he will be suspended for a year by the NFL. Till then he is free to play.

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:12 pm
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Tue Sep 12 9:08 am

Paladin wrote:Koren Robinson agrees to a two-year deal with the Packers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5955056



This is funny. At least we know that on his time off he'll fit right in with most of the fans. :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots:

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Tue Sep 12 10:07 am

southernmn wrote:Leaglly speaking, he is still innocent. Assuming that he will plead guilty when he goes to court in St. Peter next month, he will be suspended for a year by the NFL. Till then he is free to play.


Actually, I don't think it matters what happens in court. The fact that he used alcohol at all is a "no-no" once you have violated the NFL policy the first time. Whether he was drunk or not, using it at all would be a violation from what I understand. However, the NFL does seem to take its time on these situations. I suppose it is a matter of them wanting to cover their butt
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
southernmn
Rookie
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Nov 16 1:35 pm
Location: Southern Minnesota

Post by southernmn » Tue Sep 12 10:52 am

Hammy wrote:
southernmn wrote:Leaglly speaking, he is still innocent. Assuming that he will plead guilty when he goes to court in St. Peter next month, he will be suspended for a year by the NFL. Till then he is free to play.


Actually, I don't think it matters what happens in court. The fact that he used alcohol at all is a "no-no" once you have violated the NFL policy the first time. Whether he was drunk or not, using it at all would be a violation from what I understand. However, the NFL does seem to take its time on these situations. I suppose it is a matter of them wanting to cover their butt


You are correct....they CAN suspend him for merely using alcohol, but "legally" it has not been determined that he has used alcohol yet (he has not admitted to anything). It is a case of the NFL covering it's butt. Imagine if they did suspend him, and then all of the charges get dropped for whatever reason..........then the NFL gets sued for suspending him without cause.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Tue Sep 12 11:16 am

Who knows... maybe the NFL tested him the very next day on their own. It doesn't have to rely on the legal system.

In any case, I doubt we'll be seeing him slip by without getting a year long suspension. Considering how horrid the Packers appear to be, he may be better off sitting at home anyway. :lol:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Age: 46
Contact:

Post by Dances With Gophers » Wed Sep 13 11:47 am

Apologies if this was already posted, but did anyone else read/hear about how Favre left the Chicago game and wasin the tunnel (a la Randy Moss) before time actually expired? I forgot where I read/heard it (possibly ESPN.com, but I couldn't find it again). IF it's true, why hasn't a big stink been raised over it (again, a la Moss?)

User avatar
Mariucci94
Veteran
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon May 16 11:42 am
Location: The end of the Needle

Post by Mariucci94 » Wed Sep 13 11:55 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:Apologies if this was already posted, but did anyone else read/hear about how Favre left the Chicago game and wasin the tunnel (a la Randy Moss) before time actually expired? I forgot where I read/heard it (possibly ESPN.com, but I couldn't find it again). IF it's true, why hasn't a big stink been raised over it (again, a la Moss?)


Because you don't question God. :P
Blinder!

User avatar
stan_5150
Veteran
Posts: 2311
Joined: Wed Apr 09 1:07 pm
Location: Rosemount
Age: 51

Post by stan_5150 » Wed Sep 13 12:14 pm

Mariucci94 wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:Apologies if this was already posted, but did anyone else read/hear about how Favre left the Chicago game and wasin the tunnel (a la Randy Moss) before time actually expired? I forgot where I read/heard it (possibly ESPN.com, but I couldn't find it again). IF it's true, why hasn't a big stink been raised over it (again, a la Moss?)


Because you don't question God. :P


Well I suppose if you're going to have to start to clean out your locker you might want some time to yourself first.
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Sep 14 8:24 am

PrideOnIce wrote:
Paladin wrote:Koren Robinson agrees to a two-year deal with the Packers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5955056



This is funny. At least we know that on his time off he'll fit right in with most of the fans. :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots: :drunk: :shots:


Packers announced that Koren Robinson will be in uniform this week. How is this guy not in rehab? Lets see, we can violate court order, run from police, drive drunk and still play in the NFL.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Thu Sep 14 8:30 am

The Packers are desperate (I know the GM says otherwise but c'mon). Facts are facts. The Packers flat out suck and they are doing whatever they can to at least look presentable for the next 15 games. If that means signing a talented (but very unreliable) player, they are going to take that gamble.

Fool us once.... shame on Robinson.

Fool us twice... shame on the Vikes.

Fool us three times? Somebody get the Packers' GM a psychologist. :mrgreen:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Sep 14 8:47 am

From the powertrip:

Innocent until proven guilty. Koren made bail. All charges with the exception of the fleeing are misdemeanors. Court date in October. Probation violation in Seattle won't be dealt with until hearings and rulings in Minnesota. The question is where is the NFL? Waiting on the rulings in Minnesota court.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Thu Sep 14 1:50 pm

ESPN's Jason Whitlock wrote: Through three quarters of play, I was totally impressed with the play of Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

He made the right reads, stood firm in the pocket and delivered the ball with touch and accuracy. But in the fourth quarter, Daunte demonstrated why I have major doubts about him as a starting quarterback.

There's a reason college players raise four fingers at the start of the fourth. The last quarter of a tight football game is a totally different animal from the previous three. Players get tired and frustrated and begin to succumb to the pressure.

Once the Steelers went up 21-17 early in the fourth quarter, Daunte panicked and began forcing the football, which led to two critical interceptions. Culpepper doesn't handle pressure situations well. When all the pressure in Minnesota focused on him rather than Randy Moss, Culpepper turned into a mediocre quarterback.


I wonder if the Culpepper defenders will cry racism about this? Cause the writer happens to be the same race as Pep. :roll:

Nothing earth shattering said by Whitlock above. Any Vikes fan can attest to Pep's flaws in the clutch. But it is actually refreshing to see somebody on a national level that doesn't blindly lick Culpepper's shoes and can see him for what he is.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
jallengarry
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 17 10:07 am

Post by jallengarry » Thu Sep 14 3:32 pm

Hammy wrote:
ESPN's Jason Whitlock wrote: Through three quarters of play, I was totally impressed with the play of Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

He made the right reads, stood firm in the pocket and delivered the ball with touch and accuracy. But in the fourth quarter, Daunte demonstrated why I have major doubts about him as a starting quarterback.

There's a reason college players raise four fingers at the start of the fourth. The last quarter of a tight football game is a totally different animal from the previous three. Players get tired and frustrated and begin to succumb to the pressure.

Once the Steelers went up 21-17 early in the fourth quarter, Daunte panicked and began forcing the football, which led to two critical interceptions. Culpepper doesn't handle pressure situations well. When all the pressure in Minnesota focused on him rather than Randy Moss, Culpepper turned into a mediocre quarterback.


I wonder if the Culpepper defenders will cry racism about this? Cause the writer happens to be the same race as Pep. :roll:

Nothing earth shattering said by Whitlock above. Any Vikes fan can attest to Pep's flaws in the clutch. But it is actually refreshing to see somebody on a national level that doesn't blindly lick Culpepper's shoes and can see him for what he is.


I certainly agree Duante has weaknesses/issues that he can work on and I'm not really that sad he is gone. I make no apologies for either his on or off field record. And I've certainly never called people racist if they make some kind of case for their argument. However, I think it is vastly overstating the point to say one should have MAJOR doubts about him as a starter. Look around the league...there are some serious piles at QB. I would certainly take a 3 time pro bowler over a number of them. I would also note the writer's facts simply aren't accurate. Daunte's best year was when Moss missed a significant amount of time. After Moss left.....Peyton Manning could have been the QB on a team with a horrid O line, no real running back, no clear cut number one receiver, and an idiot coach and his numbers would have sucked. Moreover, in the 10 year span from 1994 to 2004 (sorry the article didn't include last year’s stats).....Daunte has the second highest quarterback rating in the 4th quarter. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7731297

So....anyone can post articles from all over the internet that are either in favor of, or talk poorly about Daunte. I'm not sure what the point is as most sports writer’s opinions are less informed than your average rube as far as I'm concerned. But, if you're gonna post articles....you should at least pick ones that have a smidgen of empirical support rather than ones that are completely subjective and just happen to agree with your opinion.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Thu Sep 14 3:39 pm

In your smug tone, maybe you ought to take a look at what Whitlock actually said. He said once Moss left and the pressure was squarely on Culpepper to get the job done in the 4th quarter, he turned mediocre. Your empirical support in those years stated is meaningless when put into THAT perspective.

Try reading first. :roll:

Make whatever excuses you want about the post-Moss team's flaws but a less talented QB came in and did what your vaunted 4th quarter "hero" could not. Win without Moss. How did he do it? By making smart decisions with the ball. Something Mr. 4th Quarter still doesn't seem to understand in big games (especially on the road).
Last edited by Hammy on Thu Sep 14 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joftos
Veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Apr 11 1:15 pm
Contact:

Post by joftos » Thu Sep 14 3:44 pm

Don't include an article with stats that covers a time period in which a player didn't even play for half the time stated.

If you have EVER watched Duante play in a pressure packed 4th quarter situation, you know what the result would be. General meltdown and failure for his team.

His QB rating is probably high in the 4th quarter because he's had to throw a lot in meaningless games and rack up useless yards and TD's when the oppostion doesn't care.

The bottom line is that Daunte is a good QB. He's athletic (at least he used to be before the injury), has a cannon for an arm...but doesn't work hard enough or have the mental wherewithal to be an elite QB. Brad Childress is smart enough to have seen this right away and basically gave him away for what amounted to a crap OL in the second round of the draft.

The Vikings are better off in the short and long term without him. The Dolphins will learn over the course of this season that he's not the guy to lead them back to Super Bowl glory.

User avatar
jallengarry
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 17 10:07 am

Post by jallengarry » Thu Sep 14 4:13 pm

Hammy wrote:In your smug tone, maybe you ought to take a look at what Whitlock actually said. He said once Moss left and the pressure was squarely on Culpepper to get the job done in the 4th quarter, he turned mediocre. Your empirical support in those years stated is meaningless when put into THAT perspective.

Try reading first. :roll:

Make whatever excuses you want about the post-Moss team's flaws but a less talented QB came in and did what your vaunted 4th quarter "hero" could not. Win without Moss. How did he do it? By making smart decisions with the ball. Something Mr. 4th Quarter still doesn't seem to understand in big games (especially on the road).



Lol....Chill out dude.....you don't have to respond with flames every time someone happens to disagree with you and put your little OMG smiley faces in. Whitlock’s point is that Pep doesn't handle pressure well, especially in the 4th quarter, and after Moss left. So your obligatory hair splitting, re-read defense is moot. My point was he played his best without Moss at times, he had played well traditionally in the 4th...and with or without Randy he deserves some credit for it. I never called him my hero......and I like Brad and stated I'm glad Duante's gone. But obviously the competition that Brad faced was greatly inferior at the end of the season. I would argue that the games Daunte lost usually had little to do with his ability to perform when the game was on the line. I'd go one more and say when he sucked........he generally didn't show up for the whole damn game cause he had his head up his A@@ and it was his early play that eliminated any chance of us being competitive. (see 41 donut and most of last year’s games being over before they started....ex. Carolina.) It's not as if he's great and just all of the sudden chokes. Try some Zydis.

User avatar
jallengarry
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 17 10:07 am

Post by jallengarry » Thu Sep 14 4:24 pm

go4hcky wrote:Don't include an article with stats that covers a time period in which a player didn't even play for half the time stated.

If you have EVER watched Duante play in a pressure packed 4th quarter situation, you know what the result would be. General meltdown and failure for his team.

His QB rating is probably high in the 4th quarter because he's had to throw a lot in meaningless games and rack up useless yards and TD's when the oppostion doesn't care.

The bottom line is that Daunte is a good QB. He's athletic (at least he used to be before the injury), has a cannon for an arm...but doesn't work hard enough or have the mental wherewithal to be an elite QB. Brad Childress is smart enough to have seen this right away and basically gave him away for what amounted to a crap OL in the second round of the draft.

The Vikings are better off in the short and long term without him. The Dolphins will learn over the course of this season that he's not the guy to lead them back to Super Bowl glory.


Qb ratings are pro-rated so that's controlled for. Most QB's don't play for ten years straight. My guess is NFL.com (kinda a reputable site by the way) did it that way to give it some historical perspective. But I agree the numbers could possibly be skewed by outlyers. However, one would suspect that over the five years of Daunte's career data that was included in the design that there would be a regression to the mean. I think the decision to move him had most to do with his attitude and that Brad would have liked to keep him had he not been a total tool and kept working out in a strip mall.....virtually insisting he didn't want to be here. Again....I'm not sad he's gone.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Thu Sep 14 5:45 pm

Well, let me re-state my point since it was originally misconstrued to a degree and that led me away from my original focus.

I actually was a supporter of DC during most of his tenure but quickly tired of his tendency to show an inability to get the team over the hump in key games/spots. My post quoting Whitlock was more about DC's general inability to lead a team in pressure situations as a whole (which is why my original remarks never really focused on the 4th quarter). Whitlock may have narrowed down his opinion to 4th quarter performance but I was trying to focus more on big game performance as a whole (especially road games). It's not that DC never has any good play under such circumstances and its not like every loss should be blamed on him. It is more that he faltered more often than not and it seemed to be happening more after Moss was gone and DC was the unquestioned focus/leader of the offense. I also never found him to be a smart QB out there. His decision making in key spots just didn't live up to my hopes.

Johnson may have had an easier schedule to some degree last year but his efficiency is what mattered to me as much as anything. Who knows if we would have won those "easier" games with DC's error filled ways. With the way DC was playing last year, the "easier" games certainly wouldn't been a lock with him under center. Because we know how important turnover margin tends to be in NFL games.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
cavedog
Golden
Golden
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Feb 18 5:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Post by cavedog » Thu Sep 14 6:51 pm

Hammy wrote:Well, let me re-state my point since it was originally misconstrued to a degree and that led me away from my original focus.

I actually was a supporter of DC during most of his tenure but quickly tired of his tendency to show an inability to get the team over the hump in key games/spots. My post quoting Whitlock was more about DC's general inability to lead a team in pressure situations as a whole (which is why my original remarks never really focused on the 4th quarter). Whitlock may have narrowed down his opinion to 4th quarter performance but I was trying to focus more on big game performance as a whole (especially road games). It's not that DC never has any good play under such circumstances and its not like every loss should be blamed on him. It is more that he faltered more often than not and it seemed to be happening more after Moss was gone and DC was the unquestioned focus/leader of the offense. I also never found him to be a smart QB out there. His decision making in key spots just didn't live up to my hopes.

Johnson may have had an easier schedule to some degree last year but his efficiency is what mattered to me as much as anything. Who knows if we would have won those "easier" games with DC's error filled ways. With the way DC was playing last year, the "easier" games certainly wouldn't been a lock with him under center. Because we know how important turnover margin tends to be in NFL games.


I agree with Ham on this one. I'll take punts and an occasional ineligible reciever penalty any day over INTs. While not a highlight film star like DC, BJ manages the entire game and makes few mistakes. You are seeing more of that now and less gunslingers like Favre. TJackson has a nice tutor in BJ

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Fri Sep 15 6:35 am

Sort of in the same vein of what we were talking abut yesterday.

From former NFL scout Chris Landry of Yahoo! Sports, on ex-Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper of the Miami Dolphins: "He can read defenses, but he is often late and lacks timing with his reads. He is definitely a quarterback who can be schemed up by teams with multiple-front looks and movements as well as different coverage looks."
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Sun Sep 17 7:17 pm

The Packers are 0-2 at home, have given up 30 pts a game and, at best, are inconsistent in all facets of the game. Yet they may not be the worst team in the league. But they are close. :mrgreen:

Culpepper is getting his roll on to the tune of an 0-2 record. Another INT and two fumbles today (although Miami recovered them). Miami fans are getting a front row seat to why Vikes fans got so frustrated with DC at QB.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Sep 17 7:52 pm

Hammy wrote:Culpepper is getting his roll on to the tune of an 0-2 record. Another INT and two fumbles today (although Miami recovered them). Miami fans are getting a front row seat to why Vikes fans got so frustrated with DC at QB.


Great quote! So much potential but yet he is so maddening to watch. DC makes so many mistakes that take away from the good he does!

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:12 pm
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Sun Sep 17 9:39 pm

Hammy wrote:The Packers are 0-2 at home, have given up 30 pts a game and, at best, are inconsistent in all facets of the game. Yet they may not be the worst team in the league. But they are close. :mrgreen:

Culpepper is getting his roll on to the tune of an 0-2 record. Another INT and two fumbles today (although Miami recovered them). Miami fans are getting a front row seat to why Vikes fans got so frustrated with DC at QB.


And according to the startrib,

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/683274.html

they got racists in Miami also. They are booing the roll meister.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13868
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Sep 17 9:58 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:
Hammy wrote:Culpepper is getting his roll on to the tune of an 0-2 record. Another INT and two fumbles today (although Miami recovered them). Miami fans are getting a front row seat to why Vikes fans got so frustrated with DC at QB.


Great quote! So much potential but yet he is so maddening to watch. DC makes so many mistakes that take away from the good he does!


Yep, old small hands dropped one as he pumped back for a pass...boy did that look familiar.

User avatar
GopherHockeyFan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Aug 03 7:44 pm
Location: Farmington

Post by GopherHockeyFan » Sun Sep 17 10:25 pm

LINK

The offense was so ineffective, the home crowd booed on several occasions and one time mounted a ''Joey! Joey! Joey!'' chant that begged for Daunte Culpepper's benching and the insertion of Joey Harrington at quarterback.

Joey Harrington? Ouch.

MhdGopher
Veteran
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Feb 16 11:13 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MhdGopher » Sun Sep 17 10:51 pm

Yep.... Miami fans calling for Joey Harrington when Daunte is really struggling and that is all they have seen from him in his lengthy 2 game career there is a lot like Viking fans calling for Gus Frerotte in 2003 when Daunte's QB rating was 96.4 or in 2004 when his QB rating was leading the league for much of the season at 110.9. :roll:

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Mon Sep 18 1:19 am

MhdGopher wrote:Yep.... Miami fans calling for Joey Harrington when Daunte is really struggling and that is all they have seen from him in his lengthy 2 game career there is a lot like Viking fans calling for Gus Frerotte in 2003 when Daunte's QB rating was 96.4 or in 2004 when his QB rating was leading the league for much of the season at 110.9. :roll:


I think most see that Duante has the ability to be unbelievable with his size, strength, mobility and arm strength. History has shown that Duante can make big plays and good things happen on the field. However, the way he started last season and now this year really are not a mirage. Duante has a history of being error prone. Look at 2002.

User avatar
gator
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15046
Joined: Fri Apr 11 8:07 am
Location: Downtown MPLS. / Apple Valley
Age: 44

Post by gator » Mon Sep 18 6:19 am

TO breaks his finger and is out 2-4 weeks.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5977750
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

***
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

Larsen
Rookie
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Feb 11 11:03 pm

Post by Larsen » Mon Sep 18 9:19 am

MhdGopher wrote:Yep.... Miami fans calling for Joey Harrington when Daunte is really struggling and that is all they have seen from him in his lengthy 2 game career there is a lot like Viking fans calling for Gus Frerotte in 2003 when Daunte's QB rating was 96.4 or in 2004 when his QB rating was leading the league for much of the season at 110.9. :roll:


Or maybe it was the QB rating of 75 in 2002 or the rating of 72 prior to last years injury.

When looking at his ratings since 01 (first year as a starter), Picklehead has cracked the top 15 3 of 7 times (counting this year). He did well in 2000, 2003, and 2004, but every other year, he has been everywhere from god awful to below average. He currently stands at #24 (below Favre and above Bledsoe)... right where he belongs.

By the way, fumbles don't count against your QB rating. If they did, his ratings would be much lower because those little hands of his. He has played in 83 career games, and has fumbled 83 times (including 23 in 2002). In comparison, Payton Manning has fumbled 43 times in 130 games.

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Age: 46
Contact:

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Sep 18 9:52 am

Some things never change...

[img]http://www.miami.com/images/miami/miamiherald/15544/241627997144.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Mon Sep 18 10:47 am

Here is a good stat for you! In their last 12 games at home, the Pack is now 3 - 9. You have to love it. :P

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 18 12:01 pm

I can only wonder where all the draft experts (including a number of Vikes fans) are when discussing the Troy Williamson and Mike Williams comparisons. If I recall correctly, many Vikes fans were in an uproar because we didn't take Mike Williams.

Well, Mike Williams has been out of the lineup for both of Detroit's games. He was put on the inactive list for each game. Not exactly what I'd call a banner start for Williams in his 2nd pro season. He could be a massive flop.

Compare that to what Williamson has contributed to the two Vikes wins in the last two weeks.... and he seems to be improving. He's not flawless but the guy is clearly getting better and contributing.

Just found the Williams situation interesting since so many know it alls out there trashed the Vikes for their decision last year.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Mon Sep 18 12:11 pm

I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14861
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Mon Sep 18 12:24 pm

Hindsight in 20/20 when it comes to who we could have had. At the time, most people thought the Vikes would/should go with a WR since Moss was gone and many people lauded Williams big time. But, so far, the Vikes look like they made the better choice.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Ben
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 04 5:35 pm
Location: Eagan
Age: 38
Contact:

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 18 12:52 pm

Maurice Clarett gets 7 and a half in prison, eligible for parole in 3 and a half.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

User avatar
jallengarry
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 17 10:07 am

Post by jallengarry » Mon Sep 18 1:32 pm

Gezzzzzzz........that guy. Couldn't script it much worse.

User avatar
PassTheFlaskGuy
Veteran
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Nov 07 11:04 am
Location: Eagan
Age: 38

Post by PassTheFlaskGuy » Wed Sep 20 6:10 pm

Morten Anderson, 46, back with Falcons. He is old.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO...and Anderson knocks the Vikings out of the playoffs" -if PA was doing the 1998 game

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
See ya at the Final Five Tailgate! :dance: :drunk:

User avatar
stelly18
Veteran
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Jan 19 4:59 pm
Location: SEMN
Age: 44

Post by stelly18 » Wed Sep 20 8:01 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).


Completely agree. Just like how in my eyes we felt we HAD to take a QB with the pick we got when we traded Brad Johnson (Culpepper pick). I think Culpepper worked out (he took us to a NFC Title game and had some pretty good years here before the flame out) but it seemed like we felt obligated to take a QB at that spot because we traded Johnson. It seems like we took the same approach with Williamson. Maybe even with the Jackson pick too. We did need a QB for the future though.

User avatar
GopherRube21
Veteran
Posts: 1135
Joined: Wed Dec 14 11:32 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by GopherRube21 » Wed Sep 20 9:32 pm

stelly18 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).


Completely agree. Just like how in my eyes we felt we HAD to take a QB with the pick we got when we traded Brad Johnson (Culpepper pick). I think Culpepper worked out (he took us to a NFC Title game and had some pretty good years here before the flame out) but it seemed like we felt obligated to take a QB at that spot because we traded Johnson. It seems like we took the same approach with Williamson. Maybe even with the Jackson pick too. We did need a QB for the future though.




Instead of drafting Culpepper the Vikings could have drafted Jevon Kearse and when we drafted Derrick Alexander back in the day; we could of had Warren Sapp

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Age: 46
Contact:

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Sep 21 9:59 am

GopherRube21 wrote:
stelly18 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).


Completely agree. Just like how in my eyes we felt we HAD to take a QB with the pick we got when we traded Brad Johnson (Culpepper pick). I think Culpepper worked out (he took us to a NFC Title game and had some pretty good years here before the flame out) but it seemed like we felt obligated to take a QB at that spot because we traded Johnson. It seems like we took the same approach with Williamson. Maybe even with the Jackson pick too. We did need a QB for the future though.




Instead of drafting Culpepper the Vikings could have drafted Jevon Kearse and when we drafted Derrick Alexander back in the day; we could of had Warren Sapp


I get the feeling y'all love this movie:


Image

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Sep 21 10:35 am

How about Sapp over D. Alexander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13762
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Age: 52

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Sep 21 5:41 pm

Smith WR (Car) practices, close to full speed.

Portis says he will be "full throttle" against Texans.

Goodell and Upshaw talk about increased drug testing for performance enhancing drugs.

User avatar
Mariucci94
Veteran
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon May 16 11:42 am
Location: The end of the Needle

Post by Mariucci94 » Fri Sep 22 1:55 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... =superdome

Nice article about the renovation of the Superdome and the lives of people in there when the storm hit.
Blinder!

User avatar
Fear the Gopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2200
Joined: Wed Feb 25 1:15 pm
Location: Vadnais Heights, MN

Post by Fear the Gopher » Fri Sep 22 4:56 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).


I too bashed the pick of Williamson over Williams, but I am not ready to laud Williamson is the next coming of Jerry Rice.

I think Troy will end up being solid, which is more than can be said for Williams. I guess that's why I don't have a job in the front office.
"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud,
after a while you realize the pig likes it."


Corpies: Teaching WPoS how to play BeerDarts since 2006

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 27505
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times
Age: 31

Post by Beauner » Fri Sep 22 5:31 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:I am one who bashed the pick! The real question is who else could we have had beside Williams / Williamson? I just didn't think we should have taken a WR at that spot.

We missed Shawn Merriman (LB / DE) :x Derrik Johnson (LB), Rolle (CB), and Rogers (CB).


Rolle? Antrell Rolle? You would take him right now over Smoot and Winfield? He has been in trouble with the law a couple of times already if I recall correctly and he also got hurt last season.

Derrick Johnson had been ripped to shreds by the "experts" and the Vikings clearly didn't like something they saw/didn't see out of him. Shawne Merriman would have been too much of a reach for the #7 slot. If we wanted him we would have traded down a few spots I think (although I would have loved it). But Merriman also benefits greatly from the scheme they run over in SD, he would not fit in with a cover 2 as well. Carlos Rogers the guy out of Auburn? Again, would you take him over Smoot or Winfield?
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
PassTheFlaskGuy
Veteran
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Nov 07 11:04 am
Location: Eagan
Age: 38

Post by PassTheFlaskGuy » Sun Sep 24 8:34 pm

Scary story out of Tampa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2601555

Simms had to have his spleen removed after today's game after it was ruptured in the second quarter. He missed only two plays. Wow.

Doctors say he will be out at least six weeks.
See ya at the Final Five Tailgate! :dance: :drunk:

User avatar
Bert
Moderator
Posts: 8109
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:11 am
Location: COON RAPIDS
Age: 41
Contact:

Madden jinx

Post by Bert » Mon Sep 25 5:32 pm


User avatar
cavedog
Golden
Golden
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Feb 18 5:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Re: Madden jinx

Post by cavedog » Mon Sep 25 6:03 pm

Bert wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2602571


Thanks Bert - my fantasy backs are sucking and your post alerted me to the Alexander injury, allowing me to pluck MMorris off waivers. :D
I can't figure out why people don't handcuff their backs.... :?:

User avatar
DrunkHockeyGuy
Veteran
Posts: 4584
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:49 am
Location: Centerville
Age: 41

Post by DrunkHockeyGuy » Mon Sep 25 6:09 pm

Seriously, I understand this is a big thing in New Orleans but lets focus some on the game, my goodness.
Apparently, I am a little bitch, oh the horror.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 27505
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times
Age: 31

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 25 6:51 pm

PassTheFlaskGuy wrote:Scary story out of Tampa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2601555

Simms had to have his spleen removed after today's game after it was ruptured in the second quarter. He missed only two plays. Wow.

Doctors say he will be out at least six weeks.


Not only did he only miss 2 plays, but he led them on a scoring drive too.

That takes some cojones.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
unclebcd
Rookie
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Feb 11 7:42 am
Location: Nordeast

Post by unclebcd » Mon Sep 25 7:56 pm

DHG - I hear ya. I am rooting for the Falcons now. ESPN is laying it on so thick, I'm ashamed for the blatant exploitation. :puke:

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:12 pm
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Mon Sep 25 8:08 pm

unclebcd wrote:DHG - I hear ya. I am rooting for the Falcons now. ESPN is laying it on so thick, I'm ashamed for the blatant exploitation. :puke:


There's a game tonight? I thought it was a Katrina Commission report. I'm glad I'm not the only one tired of hearing the story line.

User avatar
beersong
Veteran
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:27 pm
Location: Hobey Baker University

Post by beersong » Mon Sep 25 8:14 pm

Gotta love the fact that FEMA pumped millions of dollars into refurbishing the Superdome, yet you know that hundreds of thousands of residents having seen a dime yet. In fact, hundreds of Grand Forks residents are still waiting for their check from the 97 flood. Go Government!
"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena," he said. "That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." - Tim Brewster 1/17/2007

Post Reply