NFL NEWS

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: NFL NEWS

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 30 12:55 pm

I doubt he would go be a backup anywhere.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Apr 30 12:56 pm

It's a joke
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Apr 30 2:46 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Apr 30 12:03 am
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Apr 29 11:29 pm
The best part of this is that Green Bay had the 2nd ranked offense in the league behind KC and the 26th ranked defense. They don’t necessarily have a pressing need for offensive skill players or to trade the reigning MVP who led them to back-to-back NFC championship games. Their offense was good because Rodgers dissected defenses on a weekly basis.

This comes down to Rodgers the Cali kid having had enough of crappy Green Bay. I guarantee his actress fiancée has no interest in spending a winter there and he agrees.
Their offense was good, yes. But they desperately need another WR to help take heat off Adams. They've got an all-world QB and a high end RB and all-pro WR. And no real second threat.

I'd bet part of their 26th ranked defense is also due in part to teams having to air it out against a prevent defense late in games. They definitely needed a second CB (Jaire Alexander is very good, their #2 CB was hot trash). It's just kinda funny to me that they went CB there when everything I've seen/heard is that after the top 4 CBs (Surtain, Horn, Newsome, Farley) that the next 4-5 CBs are mostly interchangeable, and multiple reports had Stokes as ranked between the #7-10 CB in the draft. I personally don't hate the pick, as he has blazing speed and always seemed to make a big play when I watched Georgia, but he seemed like a guy destined to be available in the mid-to-late second rounder.

As for Aaron wanting out because Wisconsin sucks...well... you're probably not wrong there.
The way I see it is if this guy is as good as Jaire, then it's a great pick. If he's just another average CB then they completely blew it. I don't have a ton of faith in Packers' management if I'm being honest and in general I'm not a huge fan of blowing first round picks on the secondary. I always felt that you can improve defenses more quickly by getting better on the interior of the D and that's what Buffalo did with the pick immediately after.

As for the WR depth it just depends if you think someone like MVS is gonna take a step forward, he sorta did at the end of the year and was really good vs TB but he's been inconsistent and drops have always been an issue under Rodgers. In previous years Rodgers was getting screwed more than any other QB in terms of catchable balls no being caught (according to ppl who charted every throw by QB's), not sure if that was true last year or not but MVS did have a bunch of huge drops. I kinda wish Bateman was still on the board but unfortunately that wasn't the case. IDK a ton about the other options but I agree that it wouldn't hurt. I also don't think Funchess is gonna improve the offense, in fact everything I've ever read about him is that he sucks.

So yeah, we'll see what happens I guess. If they plan on just plugging in Love if Rodgers is truly serious about not wanting to play here, then :conf2: :ahhh: :crazy:
Hammy wrote:
Thu Apr 29 7:55 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Thu Apr 29 3:05 pm
It's not new, I agree. But it's also not above ESPN and other outlets to not directly quote anyone (even anonymously) and create tabloid material. Perhaps more will come out later but this seems to come up every offseason.
It’s not really Schefter’s history to blow smoke for the purpose of hype. He’s about as accurate and thorough as they come
All these guys are in the business of getting clicks for their employer. If Rodgers makes a public statement we'll probably have a better idea of where things lie. Rodgers also gains leverage in negotiating his extension by leaking his unhappiness to the media so there's that aspect as well.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Apr 30 3:54 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Apr 30 2:46 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Apr 30 12:03 am
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Apr 29 11:29 pm
The best part of this is that Green Bay had the 2nd ranked offense in the league behind KC and the 26th ranked defense. They don’t necessarily have a pressing need for offensive skill players or to trade the reigning MVP who led them to back-to-back NFC championship games. Their offense was good because Rodgers dissected defenses on a weekly basis.

This comes down to Rodgers the Cali kid having had enough of crappy Green Bay. I guarantee his actress fiancée has no interest in spending a winter there and he agrees.
Their offense was good, yes. But they desperately need another WR to help take heat off Adams. They've got an all-world QB and a high end RB and all-pro WR. And no real second threat.

I'd bet part of their 26th ranked defense is also due in part to teams having to air it out against a prevent defense late in games. They definitely needed a second CB (Jaire Alexander is very good, their #2 CB was hot trash). It's just kinda funny to me that they went CB there when everything I've seen/heard is that after the top 4 CBs (Surtain, Horn, Newsome, Farley) that the next 4-5 CBs are mostly interchangeable, and multiple reports had Stokes as ranked between the #7-10 CB in the draft. I personally don't hate the pick, as he has blazing speed and always seemed to make a big play when I watched Georgia, but he seemed like a guy destined to be available in the mid-to-late second rounder.

As for Aaron wanting out because Wisconsin sucks...well... you're probably not wrong there.
The way I see it is if this guy is as good as Jaire, then it's a great pick. If he's just another average CB then they completely blew it. I don't have a ton of faith in Packers' management if I'm being honest and in general I'm not a huge fan of blowing first round picks on the secondary. I always felt that you can improve defenses more quickly by getting better on the interior of the D and that's what Buffalo did with the pick immediately after.

As for the WR depth it just depends if you think someone like MVS is gonna take a step forward, he sorta did at the end of the year and was really good vs TB but he's been inconsistent and drops have always been an issue under Rodgers. In previous years Rodgers was getting screwed more than any other QB in terms of catchable balls no being caught (according to ppl who charted every throw by QB's), not sure if that was true last year or not but MVS did have a bunch of huge drops. I kinda wish Bateman was still on the board but unfortunately that wasn't the case. IDK a ton about the other options but I agree that it wouldn't hurt. I also don't think Funchess is gonna improve the offense, in fact everything I've ever read about him is that he sucks.
Funchess basically plays like a tight end at this point. I wouldn't count on him to produce much, though he's never had a QB like Rodgers either.
As for WRs in the draft, Terrace Marshall from LSU seemed like he would have been a great fit. He's tall and fast, can play in the slot or outside, and put up some great numbers (23 TDs over the last two seasons).
Elijah Moore from Ole Miss is basically a slot-only guy (or was in college) but he was super productive and was very efficient in contested catch scenarios.

The ultimate wildcard is Rondale Moore. He's freakishly talented but has been hamstrung by injuries. If he stays healthy in the NFL he's an absolute steal at this point
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Fri Apr 30 9:03 pm

Gopher CB St-Juste gets drafted in the 3rd round (pick #74) by the Washington No Namers.

Hammy
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Hammy » Fri Apr 30 11:20 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Apr 30 2:46 pm
[All these guys are in the business of getting clicks for their employer. If Rodgers makes a public statement we'll probably have a better idea of where things lie. Rodgers also gains leverage in negotiating his extension by leaking his unhappiness to the media so there's that aspect as well.
This isn’t a player that needs to go to the media to gain contract leverage. He just won an MVP and everybody knows the Packers are basically a .500 or worse team without him. Including his current employers. He’s about the last guy that needs to go that route.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat May 01 2:03 am

If they lowballed him on an offer then strategically leaking this to the media would make sense. I guess we’ll see.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat May 01 12:42 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat May 01 2:03 am
If they lowballed him on an offer then strategically leaking this to the media would make sense. I guess we’ll see.
Or he wants an extension and they are hesitant
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Laxref » Tue May 11 10:20 am

Today’s story is he turned em down.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Tue May 11 10:54 am

Let's get the Love hype train rolling!
The Bears have a SB MVP caliber QB they can send their way as a backup or starter.
JWG :M:

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue May 11 12:37 pm

I can't decide which Aaron Rodgers I like least, the on-field or off-field persona...always playing the part of the aggrieved party.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Tue May 11 12:39 pm

If he really leaves GB I am a massive fan of the off-field persona and would take the on-field persona for a couple years a la Favre 10 times out of 10.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue May 11 2:37 pm

I can't really blame the guy, the org saddled him with one of the worst coaches in the NFL for most of his career and now at the end of his career they just promoted some guy who worked under Ted Thompson to GM, the results of which have been mediocre, rather than expanding the search. The guy is competitive and wants to win, not watch his defense fold like a deck of cards every year in big games. I mean this figure kinda speaks for itself (it's dated obviously but that game vs SF didn't help and we all remember what happened in the most recent NFCCG with Kevin King).

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue May 11 3:17 pm

I blame packer ownership.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue May 11 3:21 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue May 11 3:17 pm
Every last one of them.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue May 11 3:23 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue May 11 3:21 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Every last one of them. Especially any named Carl.
FYP
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue May 11 4:24 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue May 11 3:21 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Every last one of them.
Out of context but reminds of the kid doing Herb Brooks from Miracle.
Currently under construction.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by The Rube » Tue May 11 9:28 pm

Aaron is acting like a petulant child, but Packers' ownership has done him no favors. That being said, in this specific case, Aaron is in the wrong. The ownership has an old starting QB, like it or not, they have to be thinking about the future. They did the same with Favre when they got Rodgers. It's a fact of the business.

Now, if Aaron goes off to do Jeopardy or whatever and sticks to his guns, I can respect that more than if he caves.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue May 11 9:32 pm

He’s acting like someone who wants to win. Jordan did the same type of stuff but nobody remembers it because he had a championship team around him consistently (which is hilarious because he hated the GM and trashed all his decisions).

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 11 9:47 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue May 11 9:32 pm
He’s acting like someone who wants to win. Jordan did the same type of stuff but nobody remembers it because he had a championship team around him consistently (which is hilarious because he hated the GM and trashed all his decisions).
His GM was a POS, IMO. LeBron wanted to win, too. At least he stuck to his guns and moved. Don't like it, but I respect that he stuck to his word.

Liking and respecting are two separate things. :)

You can raise some questions, get some stuff done, it's a matter in how you do it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Tue May 11 10:09 pm

Jordan’s GM was a POS? Lol

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 11 10:16 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue May 11 10:09 pm
Jordan’s GM was a POS? Lol
Jerry Krause was despicable. I ain't even a Bulls/Jordan fan.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Jun 06 10:40 am

Julio may be on the move soon..

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jun 17 12:18 pm

So Brady and Mahones get the kiss of death, both on the Maddon 22 cover

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Jun 17 12:47 pm

I may be wrong but I think Brady was on the Madden Cover in 2018 and won the Super Bowl. Additionally I think Mahomes was on it for 2020 and won the Super Bowl as well. I don’t game I just remember both being on the covers.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu Jun 17 12:52 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Thu Jun 17 12:47 pm
I may be wrong but I think Brady was on the Madden Cover in 2018 and won the Super Bowl. Additionally I think Mahomes was on it for 2020 and won the Super Bowl as well. I don’t game I just remember both being on the covers.
The pictures that come up on a google search for Madden 2018 and 2020 back up your memory on this
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Jun 17 1:10 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Jun 17 12:52 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
The pictures that come up on a google search for Madden 2018 and 2020 back up your memory on this
Almost positive Mahomes won it. Brady either lost to the flippin eagles…………. or beat the Rams.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jun 17 2:25 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Thu Jun 17 1:10 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu Jun 17 12:52 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
Almost positive Mahomes won it. Brady either lost to the flippin eagles…………. or beat the Rams.
The history of being on the Madden game photo is long with the player getting season ending injuries

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jun 17 3:16 pm

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/wh ... %20season.
More than 25 years into the iconic franchise’s history, there’s almost no escaping the Madden Curse. Since Garrison Hearst broke his ankle in 1998 shortly after starring on the cover of Madden NFL 99, most of the players who starred on the game’s cover have suffered an injury the following season. Of the 22 players who have been selected to grace the cover of Madden games through this season, 16 have had troubling or abruptly-shortened seasons following their cover debut — including several who suffered season-ending injuries shortly after their game hit shelves.
Surely there have been exceptions but I'd say no if asked. Yeah, yeah, yeah. :mrgreen:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 22 5:08 pm

Guy was driving around with an Uzi.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 22 6:14 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jun 22 5:08 pm
Guy was driving around with an Uzi.

I found a chop shop that custom built my glovebox to hold an Uzi and 3 clips out of sight. What an amateur.