NFL NEWS

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Greyeagle
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: NFL NEWS

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Feb 07 9:25 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:00 pm
With video!

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 9:26 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:22 pm
You're right - no rock songs were the #1 hit of the year 7 times over the course 20 years all coming from different lineups.
Ah, but Dark Side Of The Moon spent the most weeks at #1. As much as I love it, I don't think it's the best album in history overall......
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Feb 07 9:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:18 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:15 pm
Way to consider him for you Top 3 Rube. Brilliant take. :wink: :mrgreen:
Just sayin' Tom isn't the slam-dunk GOAT as advertised. There are a couple others in the discussion. That's it. No more, no less. Related, there was a discussion with friends about top 5 Rock, top 5 country, songs of all time. Sisyphean task. There's a group of top 5 songs, top 10 songs, etc. Different levels of separation, and I think that goes for sportsball players, too. End of Story.

It's extremely difficult to name a single greatest player ever, as there are always 2-3 others in that discussion.
Brady is the GOAT, and with all due respect RUBE...anybody who doesn’t realize that (especially after tonight)...simply refuses to acknowledge reality☝️

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Feb 07 9:31 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:26 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:22 pm
You're right - no rock songs were the #1 hit of the year 7 times over the course 20 years all coming from different lineups.
Ah, but Dark Side Of The Moon spent the most weeks at #1. As much as I love it, I don't think it's the best album in history overall......
Ok keep going with poor analogies in order to stubbornly refuse to move off a bad opinion. :mrgreen:

Anyway....
Currently under construction.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by Norm » Sun Feb 07 9:32 pm

Kind of a peeve: Buttwiper has been patting themselves on the back this week for not running SB ads and donating that money to Covid programs. But then there's a bunch of ads for Bud Light, Bud Zero, Bud Selzer...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 9:33 pm

I'd say that declaring Brady GOAT w/o any hesitation is relying too much on stats and analytics (and titles, which I have made myself VERY clear on the title argument). He could be GOAT. He may not be GOAT. It's up to each individual. If you want to go by PURE numbers, Brady is GOAT. However, that also means Winston was a better QB than Marino (as I pointed out earlier, in the QB Rating link), which is more than laughable.

Anyone who doesn't accept different interpretations simply refuses to acknowledge reality. ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 9:35 pm

Norm wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:32 pm
Kind of a peeve: Buttwiper has been patting themselves on the back this week for not running SB ads and donating that money to Covid programs. But then there's a bunch of ads for Bud Light, Bud Zero, Bud Selzer...
I thought about this a bit, actually. Budweiser usually went for the touchy-feely ads, with the horses and all, and Bud Light/etc went for the whatever ads. Yes, hypocritical of them to pretend they are different, but, there were different approaches over the years, depending on WHICH beer they were advertising. I'm no fan of InBev, but I get why they did what they did.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by team22tank » Sun Feb 07 9:37 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 3:13 pm
Gretzky. And I still will stick to my guns and say Peyton is just as good as Brady. Know the easiest 2 jobs in sports? Being Peyton's backup, and being the Colts OC. You simply hold a clipboard and tell Peyton "Um, go do....something. Whatever."

Note: this is NOT taking anything away from Brady. He's Top 3 shoo-in, and I'm not even thinking about hesitating when saying that.
Full picture it isn't even close. While no one has the numbers like Gretzky and his records are actually "made NOT to be broken." He didn't win a Cup the entire second half of his career, 12+ years.

Brady has 7 rings, 10 Super Bowl appearances and that is obviously in the most modern era where it keeps getting more difficult to win. He has the numbers. And he is playing at an age and level that has never been seen before. And he still isn't done.

Full package there is only a second place and they are miles behind.

He is the best in American Sports of all time.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 9:42 pm

You realize there are 10 other offensive players that Brady needs, and also 11 other defensive players that help the cause, right? ;)

Brady did what he needed to do tonight. No question. However, Tampa's D completely disrupted KC's offensive game.

Tonight was a complete team effort. Tampa, as a team with the right players, did the job. Credit should go all around.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by team22tank » Sun Feb 07 9:45 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:42 pm
You realize there are 10 other offensive players that Brady needs, and also 11 other defensive players that help the cause, right? ;)

Brady did what he needed to do tonight. No question. However, Tampa's D completely disrupted KC's offensive game.

Tonight was a complete team effort. Tampa, as a team with the right players, did the job. Credit should go all around.
What is your point? He still has 7 Titles and played in 10 Super Bowls. No one said it was all Brady. Just that he is doing something that no other player has ever been able to. Not even close on a number of different fronts.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 9:52 pm

Yes, and I judge players by what they do at their position. MANY QBs put up great numbers. Some just happen to have a greater surrounding cast, and therefore get the titles/accolades/etc. I mentioned earlier that Rodgers is Stafford, but Rodgers happens to have a title.

I'd honestly have to flip a coin between Peyton/Tom. Montana would be in the mix. Marino, also. This is pure QB skill. Not accolades, not titles. One game, one shot, not the 2 minutes and you're losing drill. One full game. Who do you have? There's 3-4 QBs I'd place above all others. Who's skill, and skill alone, would you go with, no matter the supporting cast? IMO, I think there is some discussion there.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Chris83 » Sun Feb 07 10:19 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:25 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:00 pm
With video!

Kevin Harlan is a treasure. :lol:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Feb 07 10:20 pm

David Woodley won 3 playoff games in 1982 and lost a Super Bowl by one score, Marino inherited a good team and didn't get as close to a Super Bowl Championship with Miami taking over the next year. Rube, you are a fantastic movie reviewer and the George Blanda of GPL posters, let's not confuse prolific with GOAT.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 10:31 pm

Again, GOAT isn't simply based on titles, analytics, etc. Keep the minds open. There is a possibility of a different answer.
Honestly, this is similar to the infamous Friends debate about evolution. Wait for it. :wink: Really. Wait for the full point of the discussion.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 10:54 pm

SB rings:
Blaine Gabbert: 1
Marino/Kelly combined: 0

Obviously the more titles = better QB. Right? :D :poke:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Feb 07 11:16 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 9:33 pm
I'd say that declaring Brady GOAT w/o any hesitation is relying too much on stats and analytics (and titles, which I have made myself VERY clear on the title argument). He could be GOAT. He may not be GOAT. It's up to each individual. If you want to go by PURE numbers, Brady is GOAT. However, that also means Winston was a better QB than Marino (as I pointed out earlier, in the QB Rating link), which is more than laughable.

Anyone who doesn't accept different interpretations simply refuses to acknowledge reality. ;)
Nothing in and of itself means anything and no one out there is arguing Jamesis WInston is a better NFL QB than Dan Marino so why do you keep bringing that argument up?

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by MATT » Sun Feb 07 11:19 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Feb 07 8:54 pm
And Winfield with the stupid Unsportsmanlike penalty.

The first picture is cropped if you don’t click it:
476A2581-9378-4D8B-9048-8E357026E68C.jpeg

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 11:29 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 07 11:16 pm
The Rube wrote:

Nothing in and of itself means anything and no one out there is arguing Jamesis WInston is a better NFL QB than Dan Marino so why do you keep bringing that argument up?
People are bringing up pure numbers without context. This would include titles, career TDs, INTs, Yds, and yes QBR. So, if one wants to go by pure numbers, let's go by pure numbers. Hence, the Winston/Marino comparison.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 07 11:41 pm

If one goes by pure numbers, no context, Brady is GOAT. That messes up all other QB rankings. Add context...different story.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Feb 07 11:45 pm

Belichick, the man with the most Super Bowl Championships by two, has two winning seasons in seven without Brady. He was saved from a 6-13 start with a damn good QB in Drew Bledsoe by Tom Brady. Tom Brady just took the sad sack Tampa Bay Bucs to a Super Bowl win. It's not often a debate over the GOAT at a position is cut and dried, but this is one. I don't think anyone can YADA YADA YADA another great within striking distance. I realize that this is not what a good natured sh*t stirrer really expects to do here, but it is a hopeless task. We saw the final nail go into the NFL GOAT coffin tonight.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Feb 08 4:32 am

roger
Last edited by Slap Shot on Mon Feb 08 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 08 6:44 am

:bored:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Feb 08 8:57 am

Here is another version of the streaker.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 08 9:35 am

I'm not a huge NFL fan but watched the Super Bowl. I thought it was just meh. There was no doubt Brady was going to be named MVP but personally I would have given it to the Tampa defense. Mahomes was completely off his game and never seemed comfortable.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 9:42 am

FB is the ultimate team game, IMHO.
Brady has been a PART, granted the most important part, on some great teams. Thus he has had GOAT hung on him as a result. QBs are judged both on stats & wins / loses. The Brady wins / loses ratio & especially the SB wins makes him the GOAT over Joe Montana, in my eyes.
The fact that in the post game show / MVP award Brady really deflected the praise to the TB team as a whole is indicative. Brady had a great game but the Chiefs scored 9! points! 9! The Tampa D really was the reason for the win. Todd Bowles did a great job with his scheme & blitzes. Once the Bucs got the 3 score lead they sat in their deep zones, for the most part and contained the most talented QB in the world IMHO.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Feb 08 11:50 am

Steve MN wrote:
I was disappointed in Winfield until I realized it was Tyreke Hill that he was taunting.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 08 11:54 am

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Mon Feb 08 11:50 am
Steve MN wrote:
I was disappointed in Winfield until I realized it was Tyreke Hill that he was taunting.
This. Screw that guy.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Feb 08 12:19 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Feb 08 9:42 am
Brady has been a PART, granted the most important part, on some great teams. Thus he has had GOAT hung on him as a result. QBs are judged both on stats & wins / loses. The Brady wins / loses ratio & especially the SB wins makes him the GOAT over Joe Montana, in my eyes.
The fact that in the post game show / MVP award Brady really deflected the praise to the TB team as a whole is indicative. Brady had a great game but the Chiefs scored 9! points! 9! The Tampa D really was the reason for the win. Todd Bowles did a great job with his scheme & blitzes. Once the Bucs got the 3 score lead they sat in their deep zones, for the most part and contained the most talented QB in the world IMHO.
Not giving up a TD to that team?? Has that happened since Mahomes took over? The Tampa D balled all game and put Mahomes under siege... due probably ran for 500 yards under center but most of it was backwards and to the side.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Feb 08 12:19 pm

Tom became the undisputed GOAT after the Atlanta game. Still can’t believe how much he balled out to win.

Boston Apologist

eHo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by eHo » Mon Feb 08 12:35 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 12:19 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Feb 08 9:42 am
Not giving up a TD to that team?? Has that happened since Mahomes took over? The Tampa D balled all game and put Mahomes under siege... due probably ran for 500 yards under center but most of it was backwards and to the side.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Mon Feb 08 2:13 pm

Mahomes had more to overcome than Brady. He put it all out there. His throw to the end zone while in mid air, another throw while he is spinning being tackled, I dont remember seeing a QB do that. He lost, but he did everything he could and hit receivers in their face mask who didn’t catch the ball. The picture of him getting stretched like a pretzel and he still gets up.

And I don’t think Kevin Harlan needs to apologize. The clown who ran out in the field got more coverage than he deserved, it will only promote more of it.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Feb 08 2:31 pm

I thought Harlan’s call was perfect

Boston Apologist

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 08 2:52 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 2:31 pm
I thought Harlan’s call was perfect
As Chris stated earlier he's a national treasure. I love listening to him call games.

He even made watching the Wolves tolerable when he was their play by play guy. I still remember him calling Sam Mitchell "Sam I Am, Green Eggs and Ham" on at least one occasion.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 2:53 pm

I consider my self a serious student of the game and Mahomes, all his career, has made throws ( I once saw him throw left handed) that leave me saying, "You gotta be chitting me!"
The one where he scrambled right and was parallel to the ground got a 2X on that statement. He put it on a line.
I also saw him missing on some that made me think he had something physical affecting his play.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 08 3:00 pm

Mahomes, being as young as he is, and already having done what he has done...sick. The same could be said for the other 3 QBs in the AFC semifinals. There's a ton of potential for pure magic with those 4 and the teams they are on.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Feb 08 3:51 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Feb 08 3:00 pm
Mahomes, being as young as he is, and already having done what he has done...sick. The same could be said for the other 3 QBs in the AFC semifinals. There's a ton of potential for pure magic with those 4 and the teams they are on.
He’s more of an adult then his own whiny mother complaining about the refs! :roll: And his dumb ass baby mama complaining because the tv showed him “dejected”! Damn straight he looked dejected. It wasn’t his fault KC lost, his team imploded.
Irresponsible amounts of butter were used.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Feb 08 4:52 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Feb 08 3:51 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Feb 08 3:00 pm
He’s more of an adult then his own whiny mother complaining about the refs! :roll: And his dumb ass baby mama complaining because the tv showed him “dejected”! Damn straight he looked dejected. It wasn’t his fault KC lost, his team imploded.
The KC coaches were yelling at their players on the sidelines after each TD

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Mon Feb 08 5:50 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Feb 07 3:25 pm
Hard to argue with Bill Russell....the man has more rings than fingers.
Russell or Henri Richards of the NHL.
JWG :M:

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Feb 08 10:40 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Sun Feb 07 11:45 pm
Belichick, the man with the most Super Bowl Championships by two, has two winning seasons in seven without Brady. He was saved from a 6-13 start with a damn good QB in Drew Bledsoe by Tom Brady. Tom Brady just took the sad sack Tampa Bay Bucs to a Super Bowl win. It's not often a debate over the GOAT at a position is cut and dried, but this is one. I don't think anyone can YADA YADA YADA another great within striking distance. I realize that this is not what a good natured sh*t stirrer really expects to do here, but it is a hopeless task. We saw the final nail go into the NFL GOAT coffin tonight.
I agree but Brady had a couple things definitely go his way. The Bucs are a good team because their draft picks worked out well, Fournette fell into their lap and Gronk came back. They also have very good O and D coordinators. The only teams in the off-season that pursued Brady were the Chargers and the Bucs. He fell into a good situation and got to play against a team with a beat up O line...one of the starting tackles in the SB was let go by the Vikings. If Brady would have had to play with KCs offensive line he wouldn’t have made it thru the game.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 08 10:43 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:40 pm
Thirty-Four wrote:
Sun Feb 07 11:45 pm
I agree but Brady had a couple things definitely go his way. The Bucs are a good team because their draft picks worked out well, Fournette fell into their lap and Gronk came back. They also have very good O and D coordinators. The only teams in the off-season that pursued Brady were the Chargers and the Bucs. He fell into a good situation and got to play against a team with a beat up O line...one of the starting tackles in the SB was let go by the Vikings. If Brady would have had to play with KCs offensive line he wouldn’t have made it thru the game.
The stressed part of your quote, along with Antonio Brown...Brady personally recruited. Credit to him all the way. He knew what tools (not said in a derogatory way) he needed to win. All three factored in the scoring yesterday.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Feb 09 9:55 am

Marty Schottenheimer died this morning at age 77.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Wed Feb 10 9:12 am

Bucs to have a boat parade tomorrow like the Lightning did after winning the cup
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/308 ... oat-parade

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Feb 10 11:10 am

Speaking of the Lightning - it's as if Brady not only brings success to his team, but those of the teams around him. The Red Sox returned to form while he was in New England and now Tampa has two championship teams. If the Marlins are world series contenders I call foul.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Feb 10 2:40 pm

Brady throws the Lombardi trophy to another boat. And he is completely drunk when he gets back on land :D

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 10 3:03 pm

Looks so fun!

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Karlsson » Wed Feb 10 3:05 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 10 3:03 pm
Looks so fun!
It really does. That weather looks pretty nice right now.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Feb 10 4:42 pm

About 120 days and that could be the average Saturday BAC out on Minnetonka.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 10 5:08 pm

He freaking earned it!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 10 8:48 pm

If anyone makes an issue of Tom having a few...kiss off. ;)
It was a good idea to not let him speak, though. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Feb 10 9:00 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Feb 10 8:48 pm
I'm sure with his diet, booze is not part of it, so his tolerance is no where near yours Rube. :wink: :D

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 10 9:05 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Feb 10 9:00 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Feb 10 8:48 pm
I'm sure with his diet, booze is not part of it, so his tolerance is no where near yours Rube. :wink: :D
Believe me, I'm skinny enough where I have to watch that ABV, no matter what I eat. :lol:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Feb 11 6:53 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Feb 10 2:40 pm
Brady throws the Lombardi trophy to another boat. And he is completely drunk when he gets back on land :D

I have been drinking booze for decades I have never needed any assistance while walking drunk

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Fri Feb 12 9:13 am

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Feb 12 10:31 am

Anywhere but GB.... but that’s most likely where he ends up I would think. No idea their cap situation though.

Boston Apologist

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Feb 12 1:04 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Fri Feb 12 10:31 am
Anywhere but GB.... but that’s most likely where he ends up I would think. No idea their cap situation though.
I see your logic but signing a high priced free agent on the back side of his career rarely works out well. For that reason, I think GB could be the perfect spot :D

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Fri Feb 12 1:07 pm

Fri Feb 12 1:04 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
I see your logic but signing a high priced free agent on the back side of his career rarely works out well. For that reason, I think GB could be the perfect spot :D
He is near the end of career he keeps getting injured

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Feb 12 1:24 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Fri Feb 12 1:07 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
He is near the end of career he keeps getting injured
Are you Bonin21 in disguise?

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Feb 12 2:18 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
He wants to go to a contender and won’t demand a huge deal. I could see GB making it happen if it’s not a long term deal.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Feb 12 2:59 pm

I may be wrong but I don't see JJ Watt giving anyone a discount.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Feb 12 3:09 pm

If GB wanted him I could see him there, on the cheap.
Watt was the most 2X player in the league last year I saw on a blog. Why has to be an indictment of how bad the other players on the Houston front 7 were. You didn't need to 2X the 2020 JJ Watt.
He had been a dominant DE / DT in an odd front. I don't know how much he has played in even front schemes.
If I was him I'd think about Cleveland, Buffalo, 2 brothers in Pittsburgh......

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Feb 12 3:19 pm

I had forgotten about this.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Feb 12 11:07 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Fri Feb 12 2:18 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
He wants to go to a contender and won’t demand a huge deal. I could see GB making it happen if it’s not a long term deal.
He could also easily go to Pittsburgh to play on his brother's team.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Feb 12 11:16 pm

Rumor is GB, possibly. But yes, contender. Frankly, he's not worth the 17MM or whatever right now. I'd be amazed if he can walk pain-free in 10-15 years. HOF player, IMO, but he paid the price with bodily harm. This may be conservative, but given next year's payroll, toss him 5MM and a serious run at a ring.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Alby22
Rookie
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Alby22 » Sun Feb 14 2:06 am

43 years old and still doing it, just amazing. The numbers speak for themselves with Brady but to me the reason Brady is the Goat is because he has an incredible quality to process early in the game what’s needed from him for his team to win that game. Meaning if he needs to throw 50 times for tons of yards and multiple Td’s he can. If he needs to play mistake free and be great on 3rd down he can, if he needs to have his running game be the focal point he hands it off and makes key plays with play action. His discipline is amazing, if the defense dictates the best play is to throw a 7yd hitch 10 straight times he will do that. No other QB has that discipline. That’s part of the reason he doesn’t have as many WOW plays as Watson, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes. He’s makes the smart play almost every time, sure it can be boring to people but it’s incredibly effective. That skill is severely underrated.

The Rube wrote:
Sun Feb 07 11:29 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 07 11:16 pm
The Rube wrote:

People are bringing up pure numbers without context. This would include titles, career TDs, INTs, Yds, and yes QBR. So, if one wants to go by pure numbers, let's go by pure numbers. Hence, the Winston/Marino comparison.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Feb 14 6:38 pm

Fri Feb 12 2:59 pm
Depends on what your definition of a discount is if he’s on the decline and injury prone. He may have to to sign with a contender.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 14 7:08 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Feb 14 6:38 pm
Fri Feb 12 2:59 pm
Depends on what your definition of a discount is if he’s on the decline and injury prone. He may have to to sign with a contender.
From all accounts, he knows the score, and is a stand up guy. Less money for a ring? Given how much he's made in his career? I could see a discount. Maybe even incentive-laden to maybe get a huge payday along with the ring.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Feb 15 8:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Feb 12 11:16 pm
Rumor is GB, possibly. But yes, contender. Frankly, he's not worth the 17MM or whatever right now. I'd be amazed if he can walk pain-free in 10-15 years. HOF player, IMO, but he paid the price with bodily harm. This may be conservative, but given next year's payroll, toss him 5MM and a serious run at a ring.
GB is going to have to cut salary this offseason before they even consider adding Watt. Even after restructuring Bahktiari's contract they are 20+ million over the projected cap.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Feb 18 3:55 pm

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Feb 18 6:03 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Feb 15 8:29 pm
The Rube wrote:
GB is going to have to cut salary this offseason before they even consider adding Watt. Even after restructuring Bahktiari's contract they are 20+ million over the projected cap.
Maybe they’ll cut Aaron. 😉

Boston Apologist

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times

Post by MNNavy » Thu Feb 18 9:26 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Thu Feb 18 6:03 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Feb 15 8:29 pm
The Rube wrote:
Maybe they’ll cut Aaron. 😉
I was going to suggest that maybe Erin would take a pay cut, but your scenario is probably more likely.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 18 9:30 pm

Hearing Browns now for JJ.

The Wentz thing sort of surprised me, but not by a lot. I think the Bears just dicked around too long, and the Iggles got impatient.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 18 10:19 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 18 9:30 pm
Hearing Browns now for JJ.

The Wentz thing sort of surprised me, but not by a lot. I think the Bears just dicked around too long, and the Iggles got impatient.
Jay Glazier said the Bears never made an offer. I’m good with it, they don’t need another project.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Feb 24 11:45 am

:dup: :M: :M2:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 24 12:11 pm

That's awesome. Good on AWJr.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 01 11:51 am

Watt signing in Arizona, and NFL close to be adding a 17th regular season game. Also, plan to play 2 games on Christmas Day in 2021.