Tee to Green!

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Tee to Green!

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 05 11:58 pm

Had a great time at the 3M today. It was fun to watch a tournament with less crazy crowds. I'd only been to majors before, and those get really crowded. We were able to get closer, and had a couple players chat with us. The post-golf concert was great too. Really fun event.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 06 3:02 am

Were there enough people to keep the event from being lost/moved? Seems crazy they think holding a tournament on 4th of July weekend would be a good draw.
Currently under construction.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Jul 06 11:08 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 06 3:02 am
Were there enough people to keep the event from being lost/moved? Seems crazy they think holding a tournament on 4th of July weekend would be a good draw.
I think there were. These smaller PGA tourneys don't have the same bar to clear as the big ones do, and I think this one cleared it. Still a decent amount of people, but not so many to be uncomfortable, and this was on Friday.

It is always going to be an added issue of the 4th on this weekend, no matter where its held. To me, it was a success, but I don't get to see the balance sheets, so who knows if it really was.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 07 1:33 am

It is here for 7 years either way. I doubt this year will be the make or break year.

My wonder is if they'll change the playing rules for members going into next year. I know some courses will make members use mats to hit off of in the 3-4 weeks leading up to said course hosting a PGA event. Given Koepka's (partly out of context) criticism, it may be something they look at next year to try to limit the divots in the fairways.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sun Jul 07 5:30 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jul 07 1:33 am
It is here for 7 years either way. I doubt this year will be the make or break year.

My wonder is if they'll change the playing rules for members going into next year. I know some courses will make members use mats to hit off of in the 3-4 weeks leading up to said course hosting a PGA event. Given Koepka's (partly out of context) criticism, it may be something they look at next year to try to limit the divots in the fairways.
I think that limiting play leading up to the tournament would be a good move. Also, I hope they make a few more course adjustments on a couple holes. I don't recall which holes, but there were a few I thought could have the fairways narrowed up a bit more, and a couple adjustments to bunkers would add a bit more challenge in a few places.

Overall, I thought it went great for the first year. Couldn't ask for more drama on Sunday, and the crowds looked better on the weekend. I plan on going again next year.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 07 5:31 pm

20 year old Matthew Wolff eagles #18 to win the first 3M chip by 1. Dechambeau had eagled 18 moments before to take a one shot lead. He's the 9th youngest winner ever on the tour, and youngest since Jordan Spieth in 2013.

Crowd got pretty loud when he sank this one. This kid has a lot of game.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Sun Jul 07 5:39 pm

Beauner wrote:

Yep 7 years, I was hearing on KFAN this am that they want to change upcoming tournaments to be after The British Open

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 07 7:20 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Sun Jul 07 5:39 pm
Beauner wrote:

Yep 7 years, I was hearing on KFAN this am that they want to change upcoming tournaments to be after The British Open
May not be a bad idea considering the members will be able to play the course longer, along with maybe getting some bigger crowds.
Though the crowds today looked pretty good when I was watching.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by D2D » Mon Jul 08 11:31 am

I went Saturday and there was a good-sized gallery, enough so getting a good vantage point to watch the leaders was a real challenge. Agree with comments about the divots in the fairways; there were simply too many of them.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jul 08 12:06 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jul 08 11:31 am
I went Saturday and there was a good-sized gallery, enough so getting a good vantage point to watch the leaders was a real challenge. Agree with comments about the divots in the fairways; there were simply too many of them.
I expect the tournament officials will learn from the 1st go around and either close the course for a longer period proceeding the tourney or go with mats to hit shots off in the weeks preceding the tourney As far as the dates, while the 4th of July is not ideal, as the old expression goes “Beggars can’t be Chosers” & at least the TC has a PGA Tour event in town for at least 7 years, and likely for much longer. Overall, it was a successful week with a dramatic (final hole) conclusion featuring a young GUN getting win #1 👍

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Thu Jul 18 8:27 pm

Phil and Tiger a combined +12 in round 1 of the Open. Yikes :shock:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Jul 18 10:14 pm

How much will the Tour suffer (in terms of its popularity) with Tiger and Phil no longer being competitive? My best guess: Little or no impact.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jul 18 10:29 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Jul 18 8:27 pm
Throw Rory in the mix and they go all the way to +20

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Jul 19 10:24 am

Considering all the hype on Rory this week that’s very unfortunate.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Jul 19 10:42 am

Beauner wrote:
Thu Jul 18 10:29 pm
Handyman wrote:
Thu Jul 18 8:27 pm
Throw Rory in the mix and they go all the way to +20
Then there's David Duval with an opening round of 91. :roll:

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 19 10:47 am

YoungEagle wrote:
Fri Jul 19 10:24 am
Considering all the hype on Rory this week that’s very unfortunate.
When you hit an iron off the 1st tee (out of bounds) and record a snowman, you’re obviously feeling the hometown pressure. Then Rory tripled the 18th to shoot 79. Tigers result was more expected. His back doesn’t get loose unless it’s at least 75 degrees & mild, plus after winning the Masters, he hasn’t played or practiced that much, could be largely health related. Tiger appears to be OK with simply taking a 15th Major victory lap for the remainder of the summer.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jul 19 11:04 am

Tiger is going to be flawless to win most tournaments and he looks so uncomfortable playing these days.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Jul 19 11:56 am

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jul 19 11:04 am
Tiger is going to be flawless to win most tournaments and he looks so uncomfortable playing these days.
The talent, ability, ect is still there. But his back and neck are a complete mess.

Only way is to hope it some how is perfect coming into a tournament and holds up.

Makes it pretty amazing he put together the few tournaments he has over the past two seasons.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 19 1:00 pm

Tiger and Phil have played in the same major 83 times.
This is the first time ever that they've both played and both missed the cut.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 19 2:32 pm

Rory shoots a 65 today, but most likely will miss the cut by 1 .

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jul 19 2:34 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jul 19 11:56 am
Handyman wrote:
Fri Jul 19 11:04 am
The talent, ability, ect is still there. But his back and neck are a complete mess.

Only way is to hope it some how is perfect coming into a tournament and holds up.

Makes it pretty amazing he put together the few tournaments he has over the past two seasons.
Its why I said winning the Masters was awesome, but it took a confluence of a lot of things happening for it to occur. That is how it will be from now on. I know everyone wants to believe "Tiger is back" but he just isnt and even if he was, there are guys that can match his play on the tour right now. All these guys who came around "Post Tiger" have the skills and the game to match him without any of the problems age brings to the table.

Tiger will always have a shot at the Masters because that is just a course he knows and can play blindfolded. I just dont think at any other Major he will be the guy anyone should bet on. That isnt a slight on him, it is just the nature of the beast. You could argue his dominance and skills are WHY he won't every break Jack's record because so many people grew up idolizing him they got into Golf and emulated his style and strength regimen and made the field amazingly deep and strong.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Chris83 » Sat Jul 20 10:46 pm

Wonderful round of golf today. As noted by the commentators, it was often a Ryder Cup atmosphere during play, with terrific and steady form shown by Shane Lowry.

I'll be interested in the ratings NBC gets for the weekend. If we're still seeing the "If Tiger isn't playing, I'm not watching" syndrome, I don't know what to say. It's the Open, there is tremendous golf being played and the atmosphere at Royal Portrush has been incandescent. If people aren't watching this because Woods is out, they're not golf fans.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jul 21 12:38 pm

Great win for Shane Lowry, especially considering the tough conditions today. Windy and, at times, torrential rains.
I was fortunate to spend a few days in the Portrush area and it's is a beautiful part of the world.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 12:43 pm

If BK’s putter wasn’t ice cold all week he might have given Lowry a run for his money. But the 63 Lowry shot Saturday pretty much sealed it, especially with Fleetwoods putter going cold too. ☝️

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Kelor » Sun Jul 21 1:26 pm

Koepka: "When it's your turn to hit, your glove is not on, then you start thinking about it. That's where the problem lies. It's not that he takes that long. He doesn't do anything until it's his turn. That's the frustrating part. But he's not the only one that does it out here."

Holmes shot an 87 and was still plumb bobbing the two foot putt on 18. Good on Koepka to rip him. I sure wish they would do something about it.

When I belonged to a private club, I had a buddy that would have been a great addition to the club - except for one thing. He was a human rain delay. He refused to play ready golf, and to this day thinks it's bad etiquette to be anywhere near ready to hit if someone is behind you. Playing golf in 3 1/2 should be no problem for even the worst golfer if they just use common sense. Why the PGA isn't screaming this from the mountain tops is beyond me.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 21 3:02 pm

Kelor wrote:
Sun Jul 21 1:26 pm
Koepka: "When it's your turn to hit, your glove is not on, then you start thinking about it. That's where the problem lies. It's not that he takes that long. He doesn't do anything until it's his turn. That's the frustrating part. But he's not the only one that does it out here."

Holmes shot an 87 and was still plumb bobbing the two foot putt on 18. Good on Koepka to rip him. I sure wish they would do something about it.

When I belonged to a private club, I had a buddy that would have been a great addition to the club - except for one thing. He was a human rain delay. He refused to play ready golf, and to this day thinks it's bad etiquette to be anywhere near ready to hit if someone is behind you. Playing golf in 3 1/2 should be no problem for even the worst golfer if they just use common sense. Why the PGA isn't screaming this from the mountain tops is beyond me.
One of my biggest pet peeves when we run into a group ahead of us (especially if there are 4 of us playing in my group--you should almost never be caught by a 4-some unless it's like your first time playing) is seeing the group or groups ahead of us waiting for each person to swing before they even think about their shot.

My buddies and I will take the cart and drop one guy off at his shot after he gets a distance check and picks his club. Once player A gets his shot done, he walks back to the cart while player B hits. Then they both drive to their next shots. Both carts in our 4-some will play this way (staggering shots slightly) and then meet at the green. On the green we kinda do the "who is out" rule but we'll also say essentially "If you're ready, go for it." We almost never take longer than 3:45 to play 18. When we do it's usually because of slow groups ahead of us.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 21 3:26 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jul 21 3:02 pm
Kelor wrote:
Sun Jul 21 1:26 pm

One of my biggest pet peeves when we run into a group ahead of us (especially if there are 4 of us playing in my group--you should almost never be caught by a 4-some unless it's like your first time playing) is seeing the group or groups ahead of us waiting for each person to swing before they even think about their shot.

My buddies and I will take the cart and drop one guy off at his shot after he gets a distance check and picks his club. Once player A gets his shot done, he walks back to the cart while player B hits. Then they both drive to their next shots. Both carts in our 4-some will play this way (staggering shots slightly) and then meet at the green. On the green we kinda do the "who is out" rule but we'll also say essentially "If you're ready, go for it." We almost never take longer than 3:45 to play 18. When we do it's usually because of slow groups ahead of us.
It's always refreshing to see someone who gets it and obviously you do. If I'm behind groups like yours I can play all day; like the bad ones you describe? It's a death march. And it's also bleeping rude. Try and have a little consideration for the other players on the course.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

fightclub30
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by fightclub30 » Sun Jul 21 4:40 pm

You guys are describing why I quit playing golf. Its a 6 hour commitment. Everything near me is private, so usually a 30 minute drive each way. Then every person is playing like they've got $10,000 on the line each shot. Looking for their top flite xl in the weeds for 12 minutes every other hole. Guys insisting on hitting from the tips who have no prayer of breaking 100.

My buddy and I can walk loggers trail in about 3:15-3:30 when we're one of the first groups out there. If we try to play after about 10:30 or 11:00am it's a 4.5-5 hour round. Baker National is even worse. Courses aren't sending people out to monitor Pace of play, and when they were they just don't care.

About 2 years ago at 5 hours we were on hole 15 at Wild Marsh, got to the tee box, after waiting all afternoon, and 3 groups were stacked waiting to tee off on a 4some in the fairway at the Bev cart. We drove to the clubhouse and the guy just shrugged at me. "It's a summer Saturday and we've got bachelor parties." I've only played once or twice since. It's just not worth it.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Jul 22 10:59 am

Chris83 wrote:
Sun Jul 21 3:26 pm
Try and have a little consideration for the other players on the course.
It used to be commonplace for slow groups to let faster groups behind them "play through". You hardly ever see this anymore. :anger:

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Mon Jul 22 4:13 pm

It's one of the biggest benefits to a private course. They do not allow slow play, and will fix any slow play issue quickly.

I have no idea why public courses don't train their rangers better. It can be as easy as nonchalantly fixing ball marks on a green while the slow group is driving up. They could help locate a ball in the rough. They can make simple comments that try to encourage a slow group to pick up the pace. The starter should ALWAYS state that they play in 3:45 to 4:00, and remind players that per the rules of golf, it should take no longer than 40 seconds to hit your ball. Starters should state that READY golf isn't just encouraged, but it's course policy. As a side, both starters and rangers should also be caring for the course during the day. The amount of times I've watched a ranger drive past a divot.....

As far as beverage carts: Any mixed drink should be ordered and not waited for. Drinks or sandwiches at the turn should ALWAYS be pre-ordered before teeing off on #9.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 22 10:10 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jul 22 10:59 am
Chris83 wrote:
Sun Jul 21 3:26 pm
Try and have a little consideration for the other players on the course.
It used to be commonplace for slow groups to let faster groups behind them "play through". You hardly ever see this anymore. :anger:
The last two times I've been out the slower group ahead of us let us pass. Granted, one of the times it was a 4-some and it was just me and one of my buddies (and he's really good - like 66 on a great day to 78 on a really bad day).

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 22 10:12 pm

Kelor wrote:
Mon Jul 22 4:13 pm
It's one of the biggest benefits to a private course. They do not allow slow play, and will fix any slow play issue quickly.

I have no idea why public courses don't train their rangers better. It can be as easy as nonchalantly fixing ball marks on a green while the slow group is driving up. They could help locate a ball in the rough. They can make simple comments that try to encourage a slow group to pick up the pace. The starter should ALWAYS state that they play in 3:45 to 4:00, and remind players that per the rules of golf, it should take no longer than 40 seconds to hit your ball. Starters should state that READY golf isn't just encouraged, but it's course policy. As a side, both starters and rangers should also be caring for the course during the day. The amount of times I've watched a ranger drive past a divot.....

As far as beverage carts: Any mixed drink should be ordered and not waited for. Drinks or sandwiches at the turn should ALWAYS be pre-ordered before teeing off on #9.
If we have a slow group ahead of us and they go to the clubhouse to get food/drinks before making the turn, my buddies and I will jump them every time. We spent enough time waiting for them on the front 9, we're not going to wait for you to get your food and beer and then wait for you to tee off again.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Tue Jul 23 6:56 pm

To pile on to this just a bit more, today was a perfect example. Today we played Keller. The front 9 took us exactly 2 hours, and I shot a 39 with a triple bogey. We played the back 9 and had to wait on every single shot. It took exactly 3 hours, and would have taken even 10 minutes longer, but the group ahead of us got sick of waiting and left on 13. Bored and frustrated that a course would allow this, I shot a 51.

We never once saw a ranger, even though the guys that left told us they will be sure to tell the clubhouse. Not one time. We could see the group that was causing the trouble. They were holes and holes behind, and there wasn't anyone that could do anything about it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Aug 25 4:47 pm

Wow Rory was phenomenal today. 66 to win the FedEx cup.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Aug 25 5:00 pm

Koepka beat Rory by 6 strokes in the WGC Final round pairing at Memphis a month ago...and Rory returned the favor TODAY...beating Koepka by 6 strokes in the Final round pairing. Maybe this win propels Rory toward completing his career Grand Slam (by winning the Masters) next April.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Aug 25 5:20 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Aug 25 5:00 pm
Koepka beat Rory by 6 strokes in the WGC Final round pairing at Memphis a month ago...and Rory returned the favor TODAY...beating Koepka by 6 strokes in the Final round pairing. Maybe this win propels Rory toward completing his career Grand Slam (by winning the Masters) next April.
He certainly putted the ball well enough today to win at Augusta. He was rolling it really well.