Tee to Green!

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Re: Tee to Green!

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Jun 24 9:26 pm

Gopher Hockey Rube wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:I've been told from a buddy of mine who knows a couple tour caddies real well that Bubba Watson is an ass. Here's some visual proof:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devi ... 22612.html

Players say things in the heat of the moment that I'm sure they regret, but I'm not going to go as far to call him an ass because of it. It's intense out there, as it is on an NBA court, a MLB field, or any other high end sport. I've seen Bubba interviewed many times and he seems like a decent guy, just very intense on the course.

I'll take the words of caddies who are around him 4 to 5 days a week for months out of the year over how he comes across in television interviews.

I used to wonder why many of the golf writers would make off hand comments in their articles about how big of a jerk he was. I don't wonder anymore.

So he gets upset on the golf course, which is his workplace, big deal. Have you ever got mad and smashed your club, swore or been basically pissed on the golf course? I know I have. If you've never done that, congrats. He has a family and friends who I'm sure think that he's the greatest guy in the world, so this crap about getting mad on the course or how some caddies feel about him means absolutely nothing to me.

I'm not surprised in the least by your position. For some bizarre reason, you seem predisposed to defending the behavior of pricks. The bottom lines is he has a bad reputation among those that work in and cover the game for a living. And it goes well beyond one meltdown with his caddy. Like the people that question what kind of a guy Tiger is, I guess these must just all be Bubba haters....

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Mon Jun 24 9:47 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:I've been told from a buddy of mine who knows a couple tour caddies real well that Bubba Watson is an ass. Here's some visual proof:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devi ... 22612.html

Players say things in the heat of the moment that I'm sure they regret, but I'm not going to go as far to call him an ass because of it. It's intense out there, as it is on an NBA court, a MLB field, or any other high end sport. I've seen Bubba interviewed many times and he seems like a decent guy, just very intense on the course.

I'll take the words of caddies who are around him 4 to 5 days a week for months out of the year over how he comes across in television interviews.

I used to wonder why many of the golf writers would make off hand comments in their articles about how big of a jerk he was. I don't wonder anymore.

So he gets upset on the golf course, which is his workplace, big deal. Have you ever got mad and smashed your club, swore or been basically pissed on the golf course? I know I have. If you've never done that, congrats. He has a family and friends who I'm sure think that he's the greatest guy in the world, so this crap about getting mad on the course or how some caddies feel about him means absolutely nothing to me.

I'm not surprised in the least by your position. For some bizarre reason, you seem predisposed to defending the behavior of pricks. The bottom lines is he has a bad reputation among those that work in and cover the game for a living. And it goes well beyond one meltdown with his caddy. Like the people that question what kind of a guy Tiger is, I guess these must just all be Bubba haters....

So he's a prick because he gets mad on the golf course? What about all the charity work he does? What about the child he and his wife adopted and gave a child a safe home? Do you really pretend to know what kind of guy Bubba is outside the ropes? I love the glass houses attitude of some people.

Why people pretend to believe that they know what kind of people celebrities are behind the scenes baffles me. Everyone thought Kirby Puckett was the greatest guy in the world, but he had his problems as most of us in the real world have had. I'm not perfect, and I'm sure if I was in the public eye everyday people might judge me as a prick. Not an easy thing to be under the microscope 24 hours a day.

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Eckes » Tue Jun 25 10:07 am

Did you actually watch the video? He comes off as a pretty big jerk, basically placing 100% of the blame on his caddie for him hitting a couple not-great shots.

Came off as entitled. And I'm not a Bubba-hater at all. But it really made me respect him a lot less.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Tue Jun 25 10:49 am

Chris Eckes wrote:Did you actually watch the video? He comes off as a pretty big jerk, basically placing 100% of the blame on his caddie for him hitting a couple not-great shots.

Came off as entitled. And I'm not a Bubba-hater at all. But it really made me respect him a lot less.

Yes I saw the whole thing. It's the heat of the moment. He apologized and I'm sure him and his caddy are fine. This happens EVERYDAY on Tour, we just don't see it very much on TV. Once again I've played enough golf to know this happens on the course. I was taught to play golf by my dad, and I had moments where I would get mad at him. I guess that makes me a prick also. :(

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Jun 25 11:04 am

Chris Eckes wrote:Did you actually watch the video? He comes off as a pretty big jerk, basically placing 100% of the blame on his caddie for him hitting a couple not-great shots.

I totally missed this... thanks for posting. Looks like Bubba doesn't hit it great either, heavy and a push perhaps.

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Hammy » Tue Jun 25 1:25 pm

If I had a camera following me around every time I went to work, I know I'd come across less than wonderful on occasion. Especially in moments of frustration.

I am not saying Bubba is OK here. He should apologize. But I don't know that I'd crucify the guy either. If he is like that all the time, I can see ripping him. I just don't have enough personal knowledge to know though.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Tue Jun 25 2:32 pm

Hammy wrote:If I had a camera following me around every time I went to work, I know I'd come across less than wonderful on occasion. Especially in moments of frustration.

I am not saying Bubba is OK here. He should apologize. But I don't know that I'd crucify the guy either. If he is like that all the time, I can see ripping him. I just don't have enough personal knowledge to know though.

This. And if his caddy is that thin skinned that he took it personally, then the guy's going to have a hard time being a caddy for about 99.9% of Tour players.

Hell I just watched the Ben Crenshaw interview on "Feherty", and the guy known as "Gentle Ben", was prone to a bit of a temper.

As the joke goes, Why is golf named golf? Because sh** and fu** were already taken! :)

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Jun 25 4:39 pm

I asked a buddy of mine that is working his way to get onto the PGA Tour that has been in multiple Bible study type groups with Bubba Watson and a few other guys (Ben Crane, Davis Love III, Jonathan Byrd, Zach Johnson and Webb Simpson are the only guys I remember at this time) about Bubba. He said Bubba is about as easy-going and easy to talk to as possible outside of golf (he had similar things to say about DL3 and Zach Johnson--which is cool since at this point he's basically just a nobody), but when he's on the course he is very demanding and pretty high strung. He is putting a lot of pressure on himself right now because he's angry that he's been slumping since the Masters and with all the things going on in his personal life (they are in the process of adopting another kid IIRC) he just snapped on his caddy after hitting a couple bad shots and pissing away his chance at the tournament. Doesn't make him a prick necessarily, just a competitive perfectionist who hit a couple bad shots and blew up on his caddy.
As of right now this seems to be a blip on the radar rather than a trend.
Here's an interesting article about Bubba written in 2009.
Bubba Watson Golf Digest
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Jun 29 9:18 pm

Jessica Korda fired her caddie mid-round today in the LPGA US Open.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/korda-fire ... -golf.html

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Sat Jun 29 9:52 pm

Beauner wrote:Jessica Korda fired her caddie mid-round today in the LPGA US Open.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/korda-fire ... -golf.html

Wow what a diva. Even Bubba didn't fire his caddy after being giving the wrong yardage. ;)

mjarz02
Golden
Golden

Post by mjarz02 » Mon Jul 01 5:45 pm

Have a golf trip planned with some buddies of mine. Our foursome is down to 3 after one of them is in the doghouse with his GF...women. Anyone have any ideas for golf games for just three people? I've heard of Wolf and defender but that's about it.

oldpirate33
Rookie

Post by oldpirate33 » Mon Jul 01 9:03 pm

Bingo bango bongo works well with 3 players

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sun Jul 14 1:48 pm

Phil just won the Scottish Open in a playoff. The guy really is as unpredictable as it gets. Good to see him in good form heading into Muirfield.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Sun Jul 14 7:41 pm

Jordan Spieth wins the John Deere Classic on the 5th playoff hole at the age of 19. First teenager to win on the PGA Tour since 1931.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Hobey Baker » Tue Jul 16 3:31 pm

Nick Faldo will be playing in the Open Championship at Murifield, a course where he won two of his three Open championships. Faldo will be playing with Tom Watson and Fred Couples.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Tue Jul 16 5:23 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Nick Faldo will be playing in the Open Championship at Murifield, a course where he won two of his three Open championships. Faldo will be playing with Tom Watson and Fred Couples.

I expect Faldo to be the high man in that group, possibly by a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if both Freddie and Watson were playing on the weekend.

Faldo had one of the more interesting careers of anyone that's played golf over the last 30 years. Did not do any one thing particularly well yet somehow captured 6 majors. I still contend he had the great fortune of playing in that vacuum of time without a tour superstar, i.e. the period where Jack was far past his prime and before Tiger was on the scene. He was a closer when given the chance, no doubt, but just looking at the group he's paired with for this tourney--nowhere near the ball striking ability of Watson and I would say even Couples had more natural talent, too, notwithstanding their major resumes not being close. Interesting that his game fell off the cliff in his late 40s while Couples has contended into his 50s and Watson dang near won an Open Championship at age 59. I think that sort of proves the point about the talent factor--when his focus/dedication was gone there wasn't the natural talent to fall back on and keep him competitive like some of these other guys.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Chris83 » Thu Jul 18 5:53 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Nick Faldo will be playing in the Open Championship at Murifield, a course where he won two of his three Open championships. Faldo will be playing with Tom Watson and Fred Couples.

I expect Faldo to be the high man in that group, possibly by a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if both Freddie and Watson were playing on the weekend.

Faldo had one of the more interesting careers of anyone that's played golf over the last 30 years. Did not do any one thing particularly well yet somehow captured 6 majors. I still contend he had the great fortune of playing in that vacuum of time without a tour superstar, i.e. the period where Jack was far past his prime and before Tiger was on the scene. He was a closer when given the chance, no doubt, but just looking at the group he's paired with for this tourney--nowhere near the ball striking ability of Watson and I would say even Couples had more natural talent, too, notwithstanding their major resumes not being close. Interesting that his game fell off the cliff in his late 40s while Couples has contended into his 50s and Watson dang near won an Open Championship at age 59. I think that sort of proves the point about the talent factor--when his focus/dedication was gone there wasn't the natural talent to fall back on and keep him competitive like some of these other guys.

Watson +3, Couples +2 & Faldo +2 thru 10
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Thu Jul 18 10:55 am

Rory shoots 79 (+8) - Ouch
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Thu Jul 18 11:07 am

Chris83 wrote:Rory shoots 79 (+8) - Ouch

He was just trying to keep pace with Sir Nick :wink:

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 11:18 am

Zach Johnson finished at -5 and is the Open leader right now.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Thu Jul 18 11:57 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Zach Johnson finished at -5 and is the Open leader right now.

I've golfed with Zach before. He's a very charitable young man.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Thu Jul 18 1:27 pm

Well, it can't be TOO tough for Tiger to win the Open; I mean, looking at the ESPN and Golf Channel websites he's the only one playing. :lol:

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 2:33 pm

Chris83 wrote:Well, it can't be TOO tough for Tiger to win the Open; I mean, looking at the ESPN and Golf Channel websites he's the only one playing. :lol:

Tiger and Phil finish at -2

gsmicke
Golden
Golden

Post by gsmicke » Thu Jul 18 3:15 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Chris83 wrote:Rory shoots 79 (+8) - Ouch

He was just trying to keep pace with Sir Nick :wink:

Really pleased I had Rory as my pick this week in my fantasy golf league. I thought Faldo's comments would light a fire.

I think his struggles are worse that what Tiger went through.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by sunbone » Thu Jul 18 4:11 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:

Couples had the same fortune of playing the bulk of his career in the same vacuum, if not more so. I like Faldo because he was a grinder who got the most he possibly could out of his ability. Couples got less out of his talent than anyone I can think of, even less than Norman IMO.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 5:06 pm

sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:

Couples had the same fortune of playing the bulk of his career in the same vacuum, if not more so. I like Faldo because he was a grinder who got the most he possibly could out of his ability. Couples got less out of his talent than anyone I can think of, even less than Norman IMO.

Norman and Couples should have been the ones to fill the void. I agree with you on Couples, he should have won more and won more majors. His putting has always been a problem for him along with his back.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Thu Jul 18 5:19 pm

They won 3 majors collectively. That's not even one full season's worth. No one guy filled the void (outside of Faldo), that's precisely the point. Certainly Payne Stewart could lay more to that claim than Fred Couples...

EDIT: Ah, you changed it to "should have." That I can agree with.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 5:28 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:They won 3 majors collectively. That's not even one full season's worth. No one guy filled the void (outside of Faldo), that's precisely the point. Certainly Payne Stewart could lay more to that claim than Fred Couples...

EDIT: Ah, you changed it to "should have." That I can agree with.

It is a joke for those two players to have won only two majors.

Payne won three but he wasn't the guy like "Norman" and "Couples".

Just and FYI, Nicklaus asked Payne why he and the guys of his generation didn't win more when he was Ryder Cup Captian.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 10:05 pm

Only 6 players under par in afternoon tee times vs 20 in th morning.

Leader board has someone in their teens, 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jul 18 10:09 pm

Mickelson and Poulter rip into R&A for first day pin placements.

Schwartzel throws and breaks club. I thought only Tiger did that???? Where are you guys ? You should be calling Schwartzel out!

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Thu Jul 18 10:20 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Mickelson and Poulter rip into R&A for first day pin placements.

Schwartzel throws and breaks club. I thought only Tiger did that???? Where are you guys ? You should be calling Schwartzel out!

I saw it. Completely idiotic. Yes, there are a handful of guys besides Tiger that have slammed clubs out on the course.

I've never understood the "but Johnny did it too" excuse as a justification for poor behavior, though, particularly for grown men. Don't kids learn that doesn't fly by about second or third grade?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 19 10:35 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Mickelson and Poulter rip into R&A for first day pin placements.

I saw it. Completely idiotic. Yes, there are a handful of guys besides Tiger that have slammed clubs out on the course.

I've never understood the "but Johnny did it too" excuse as a justification for poor behavior, though, particularly for grown men. Don't kids learn that doesn't fly by about second or third grade?

This course is set up to infuriate players. Not something I remember seeing from Open Championships in years past. The fairways are all extremely dry, the greens look like concrete and the pin placements are nasty.
I just watched Bubba Watson take a 7 iron to a par 5 on his 2nd shot. He landed the ball at least 70 yards short of the green and rolled it to about 10 feet of the pin.

Didn't see the Schwartzel meltdown, but I was out of my house basically from 10:30am until 10:30pm last night and will be out of the house from noon to midnight tonight for a wedding.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Fri Jul 19 1:47 pm

For those who didn't see it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfI823xccMs[/youtube]
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

mjarz02
Golden
Golden

Post by mjarz02 » Fri Jul 19 3:34 pm

I love when the pros get mad.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Fri Jul 19 3:38 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:

He threw a club, big deal. I've done it, my friends have done it, and I'm sure 99% of people who golf regularly have done it. Do people really care about this?

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 19 3:41 pm

mjarz02 wrote:I love when the pros get mad.

Me too. Although I think of it more as "it's nice to see them find lies and struggle like an everyday hacker once in awhile'. It makes me feel a little better about my lack of a golf game.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Fri Jul 19 4:45 pm

Course fights back today with windy, firm and fast conditions.

Jimenez leads at -3

D.Johnson, Stenson, Westwood and Woods at -2

Z.Johnson, Bello, Cabera, Laird at -1

No one else under par.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 286 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 19 9:41 pm

Company golf outing today that turned comical. Some idiot got a bit too tuned up and ran his cart into a pond.

My group shot a -6 with zero mulligans. Yes, mulligans. It was a charity golf event and you could buy mulligans ahead of the round. We lost by one stroke to a group that bought 12 of them. They sure earned those gift cards. :roll: :lol:

I felt good though about my contributions. Plenty of drives in the fairway, a handful of good approach shots and sank 4 our our birdie puts, none of which were inside of 8 feet. We weren't great by any measure as you can tell by the score, but it was a good time.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 21 7:50 am

Should be a great final round at Muirfield today. I wouldn't be a bit surprised at any one of the players within 6 shots of the lead hoisting the Jug. I'm pulling for Westwood, but perhaps this is the major where Tiger shakes off the "Never won when trailing after three rounds" label. I was truly impressed with how Westwood just kept grinding and plugging along yesterday.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 9:19 am

Tiger +3 thru 6 and +2 for the tournament. Tiger is +27 on the weekends of the last 7 majors.

Westwood leads at -3.

Phil E and tied for second.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 10:00 am

10am central time zone in Mpls,,,Tiger with an audble :censored: dammit on the 10th hole, :biggrin2:

Westwood starting to fall apart...seems likely a play-off could be on tap today,,.Phil and Tiger still very much in it (he and Tiger both 2 shots off the lead.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 10:16 am

Azinger with the line of the day (so far) ...

"I am predicting an 8 man playoff."

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 10:17 am

Scott takes the lead at -2 by making birdies on 4 of last 5 holes.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 10:23 am

Phil is lurking by making back to back birdies at -1

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 10:38 am

We now have a three way tie at the top at -1.

Phil, Scott and Westwood.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 21 10:47 am

Woods creeping right back into it; he'll be +1 after a tap in at 14

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 10:50 am

Tiger hits an iron to 3 inches...even HE shouldbe able to make that putt :)...main difference in Tigers game is his PUTTING. Still has a chance today.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 11:00 am

bearpaw28 wrote:Tiger hits an iron to 3 inches...even HE shouldbe able to make that putt :)...main difference in Tigers game is his PUTTING. Still has a chance today.

Today is typical weekend major Tiger .. he has nothing.

Phil is now your leader at -2.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 11:09 am

Hobey Baker wrote:
bearpaw28 wrote:Tiger hits an iron to 3 inches...even HE shouldbe able to make that putt :)...main difference in Tigers game is his PUTTING. Still has a chance today.

Gotta start to wonder if Tiger will EVER win another MAJOR. Just does not have it down the stretch anymore.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 11:11 am

THERE IS YOUR DAGGER...Phil birdies 18 and is now -3 and up by 3 shots.

Gopher99
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Gopher99 » Sun Jul 21 11:13 am

Phil is the man. Tiger on Sundays is pretty awful, or just in general in majors the last 5 years

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 21 11:15 am

bearpaw28 wrote:THERE IS YOUR DAGGER...Phil birdies 18 and is now -3 and up by 3 shots.

THAT was some watermelon size balls golf! :shock:

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 11:20 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:

Gotta start to wonder if Tiger will EVER win another MAJOR. Just does not have it down the stretch anymore.

This is nothing different .. he has never won a major when not leading or having a share of the lead after 54. The difference now is how bad he is playing on the weekend. He needs to reassess

Phil was incredible! Todays charge was Nicklaus like. It was fun to watch. What a finish!!! Birdied 4 of last 6.

It will be interesting to see if Phil can complete the Grand Slam by winning the US OPen. Only Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, Player and Woods have been able to win all 4 Majors.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Sun Jul 21 11:44 am

I'm a huge Tiger fan, but what an amazing performance by Phil today. When he gets it rolling there's nobody better.

As for Tiger never winning another major, I'll take that bet at any amount of money you want. Phil just won The Open at 43, and Tiger is only 37. Tiger will win more majors.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 12:03 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:
bearpaw28 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:

This is nothing different .. he has never won a major when not leading or having a share of the lead after 54. The difference now is how bad he is playing on the weekend. He needs to reassess

Phil was incredible! Todays charge was Nicklaus like. It was fun to watch. What a finish!!! Birdied 4 of last 6.

It will be interesting to see if Phil can complete the Grand Slam by winning the US OPen. Only Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, Player and Woods have been able to win all 4 Majors.

I still maintain Tiger's ball striking and chipping are nearly as good as ever...BUT his PUTTING...especially clutch putting isn't in the same zipe code as what it WAS at this peak. I really don't see a difference in ball striking...he simply used to make a lot of mid-range birdie putts and NEVER MISSED a clutch putt under 8 feet.

Yeah...based on his age Tiger (will likely) win another Major or two...but without some kind of significant re-assessment regarding his weekend play during Majors...(as Hobey noted) I think it's now a LONG SHOT he will equal or exceed Jack's 18 major titles. The field seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY deeper and tougher to overcome now in Majors...than in the 11 years from 1997 to 2008 when Tiger was dominating the Majors (winning 14 times).

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 21 12:17 pm

I believe the final four pairings were a combined +23; that obviously opens up the opportunity for guys a ways back to go low and get into the mix, as was the case with Phil and Ian Poulter.

As for Tiger, when he was dominant he frequently did the extraordinary in the Majors, especially on the weekend; the incredible chip-ins or bombs away putts. Nowadays his play in the Majors is ordinary or worse; and frankly, the intimidation factor, which was HUGE in his success, is gone. I think both Westwood yesterday and Scott today couldn't have been affected less by being paired with Woods on the weekend of a Major. He can certainly win more Majors, but it's going to require 4 rounds of grinding, minimum error golf...just like anyone else.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 21 1:19 pm

Due to the rain pushing my work back a bit today, I was able to watch this morning. Watching Phil down the stretch gave me goosebumps and I knew he would make birdie on 18. A treat to watch.

Alby22
Rookie
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Alby22 » Sun Jul 21 7:28 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:
bearpaw28 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:

I still maintain Tiger's ball striking and chipping are nearly as good as ever...BUT his PUTTING...especially clutch putting isn't in the same zipe code as what it WAS at this peak. I really don't see a difference in ball striking...he simply used to make a lot of mid-range birdie putts and NEVER MISSED a clutch putt under 8 feet.

Yeah...based on his age Tiger (will likely) win another Major or two...but without some kind of significant re-assessment regarding his weekend play during Majors...(as Hobey noted) I think it's now a LONG SHOT he will equal or exceed Jack's 18 major titles. The field seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY deeper and tougher to overcome now in Majors...than in the 11 years from 1997 to 2008 when Tiger was dominating the Majors (winning 14 times).

When i watch Tiger It's not just his putting that has tailed off but his consistency off the tee has really tailed off. I wonder how much his left knee issues over the years gave hampered his swing and the torque he generates?

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Jul 21 7:41 pm

An amazing final round. Few times I've watched a round from start to finish like that.

Love it when Lefty wins. Such a class act and a great ambassador for the sport. Not saying anyone does, but how can anyone not root for this guy?

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Sun Jul 21 7:56 pm

Because he's phonier than a 3 dollar bill.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 21 8:05 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:Because he's phonier than a 3 dollar bill.

Hmmm...

Whatever, he's been my favorite player since he started on tour.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Jul 21 8:17 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

Hmmm...

I feel the exact same way as Slap Shot regarding Phil. He has been my favorite player ever since the day Phil signed my hat at the 1991 US Open.

He simply has flair on the golf course...it's the way he conducts himself on the golf course and plays the game with style (sometimes crashing and burning...but usually going for pressure risk/reward shots) that makes him compelling and easy to root for. :dup:

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Sun Jul 21 8:20 pm

I root for Tiger every week, but this statement is ridiculous. Phil had a reputation as cocky and full of himself when he came out on Tour, but that has long since passed.

The guy signs autographs for hours after rounds, always answers to the media for his failures, and has been a wonderful ambassador for the game of golf. If that's phony then more athletes should be phony. How about some facts to back up that statement DAWOJ??

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 21 8:56 pm

Say what you want about Mickelson, but not many guys go out and shoot 66 on a Sunday in a major to win. Whether you like him or not this is one of the better Sunday rounds in recent major tournament history.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Sun Jul 21 8:59 pm

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 9:36 pm

davescharf wrote:Say what you want about Mickelson, but not many guys go out and shoot 66 on a Sunday in a major to win. Whether you like him or not this is one of the better Sunday rounds in recent major tournament history.

Phil is moving up the ladder.

NIcklaus 18, Woods 14, Jones 13 (old majors)/ 7, Hagen 11, Hogan 9, Player 9, Watson 8, Vardon 7, Sarazen 7, Snead 7, Palmer 7, Faldo 6, and Trevino 6 are the only players who have won more majors than Phil. Ballesteros, Thomson, and Nelson are tied with Phil.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Sun Jul 21 9:48 pm

I didn't realize Nicklaus had finished in 2nd place in a major 19 times over his career. Add that to all his majors he actually did win. Unreal.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Sun Jul 21 10:01 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

Hmmm...

I don't know that I have a favorite these days. But Phil is definitely one of the guys I like more than most. He's entertaining (both in good performances and tough losses).

It seems to me that many of the guys that dislike him most are Tiger lovers. Which is ironic to me considering Tiger's off the course antics years ago. I can understand not liking a rival to your favorite player when they perform their game but it gets a little silly in Phil's case (as that article in the LA Times outlined).

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Jul 21 10:03 pm

Hammy wrote:I didn't realize Nicklaus had finished in 2nd place in a major 19 times over his career. Add that to all his majors he actually did win. Unreal.

That is why he is the greatest in majors far and away all time ..look at his rivals and the battles he had with Palmer, Player, Trevino and Watson (major championship winners).

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Jul 21 11:42 pm

Hammy wrote:I didn't realize Nicklaus had finished in 2nd place in a major 19 times over his career. Add that to all his majors he actually did win. Unreal.

Holy balls. I didn't know that. Incredible.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 22 12:07 am

davescharf wrote:Say what you want about Mickelson, but not many guys go out and shoot 66 on a Sunday in a major to win. Whether you like him or not this is one of the better Sunday rounds in recent major tournament history.

Helluva final round, I agree.

As for that other stuff....his nickname ain't "FIGJAM" for nothing. And Tiger (for the apparent Tiger/Phil conspiracy freaks) isn't an angel either, obviously.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Mon Jul 22 9:48 am

The Rube wrote:

Helluva final round, I agree.

As for that other stuff....his nickname ain't "FIGJAM" for nothing. And Tiger (for the apparent Tiger/Phil conspiracy freaks) isn't an angel either, obviously.

Like I said in an earlier post Rube, FIGJAM used to be Phil's nickname, but that has changed in the last 15 years. Plus if you're as good as Phil is, jealousy plays a huge role in how you're perceived by your peers. Phil is one of the 10-15 best players of all time, so f*** he is good! :)

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Jul 22 12:05 pm

What was Nicklaus's longest Major drought?
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Mon Jul 22 12:11 pm

Let's be honest... most of the best athletes think they are great. You kind of have to carry that mentality to be at the top of your sport. If you don't have a lot of confidence, you are unlikely to reach those kinds of heights of success.

Obviously Lefty isn't the greatest ever in his sport (or even in his era) but I also think a guy in that kind of individual sport has to have supreme confidence in himself to be great. Especially when you take the kinds of chances he does at times (some of which has backfired on him).

I would also agree that some of the stuff is going to be professional jealousy from some peers. They are all competitive guys out there. I think there is going to be some jealousy that a lot of fans really like him and he gets a lot of attention.

Nobody is going to be universally liked. I'm sure he isn't going to care much the day after what he just did. :wink:

bonesaw
Golden
Golden

Post by bonesaw » Mon Jul 22 12:27 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:What was Nicklaus's longest Major drought?

Not counting the tail end of his career, it was the 1980 PGA to 1986 Masters.

Also crazy: in the Majors in the 1970s (40 tournaments), he finished outside the Top 10 exactly 5 times :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ca ... s_timeline
...because there's FOUR!