Tee to Green!

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Bash Brother
Veteran

Re: Tee to Green!

Post by Bash Brother » Fri Apr 06 11:36 pm

Tiger probably does it more than most.

He also receives more airtime than most.

Either way it doesn't matter unless you want to pick on Tiger.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Fri Apr 06 11:59 pm

The Mole wrote:Tiger probably does it more than most.

He also receives more airtime than most.

Either way it doesn't matter unless you want to pick on Tiger.

Yes he does do it more than most.

Re: airtime, More than any other one individual? Absolutely. It's not even close. More airtime than the rest of the field combined vs him? No way and that's not even close. Nobody is "picking on" Tiger. His behavior lends itself to criticism. Unless you think maybe his wife was just picking on him, too. Like I said earlier, why do the golf legends comment on his cursing and on course behavior and his alone? If it's no big deal then there would hardly be reason to comment on it.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 12:12 am

Ahh yes, I forgot that his wife's opinion is pertinent to the quality of his golf game.

MhdGopher
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MhdGopher » Sat Apr 07 1:26 am

I'm with Bushwood on this one. The game has given a lot to Tiger. An awful lot. Give just a little bit back to the game and show some respect. It's not asking a lot. It really isn't. I'd say it's a lot like asking a guy to get through a handshake line without starting a fight. It's just what you do and grown men should know that.

Tiger vs the field it's Tiger on this one and to think its not is blindly defending him.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 1:28 am

You don't think Tiger has given a ton back to the game?

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 3:36 am

The Mole wrote:Ahh yes, I forgot that his wife's opinion is pertinent to the quality of his golf game.

What??? Nobody is talking about his golf game nor his ex-wife's opinion of it. I brought her up because you stating people are "picking on him" with the criticism of his frequent on camera cursing is like saying his wife was just picking on him--never mind his marital indiscretions. He has brought the criticisms on himself. Frankly, I don't give a rip about the infidelities. They are a private matter between he, his wife (at the time) and his other women. I do get bothered by the cursing because it shows such a nonchalant disrespect to the game, in a very public fashion. That should matter to the world's most recognizable athlete but it doesn't really seem to. He gets excused for this kind of stuff too easily and too often. It simply astounds me the level of victim status he is accorded by so many.

MhdGopher
Veteran

Post by MhdGopher » Sat Apr 07 8:33 am

The Mole wrote:You don't think Tiger has given a ton back to the game?

In terms of being a positive image for the game and being a figure that the next generation of golfers could look up to, no I don't. With the club slamming/throwing, swearing and appearing to be visibly annoyed by having to bother spending time on fans I think he's actually failed quite miserably. And I couldn't care less about his personal indiscretions either.....that's his business not mine. I'm sure it isn't easy being Tiger in a lot of ways......but I'm sure it wasn't easy being Jack either and he was much better at it than Tiger is.

For $200 million a year, is it really that hard not to swear and slam clubs?

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 269 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 10:42 am

MhdGopher wrote:
The Mole wrote:You don't think Tiger has given a ton back to the game?

In terms of being a positive image for the game and being a figure that the next generation of golfers could look up to, no I don't. With the club slamming/throwing, swearing and appearing to be visibly annoyed by having to bother spending time on fans I think he's actually failed quite miserably. And I couldn't care less about his personal indiscretions either.....that's his business not mine. I'm sure it isn't easy being Tiger in a lot of ways......but I'm sure it wasn't easy being Jack either and he was much better at it than Tiger is.

For $200 million a year, is it really that hard not to swear and slam clubs?

Or kick them down the fairway, like he did on 16 yesterday at the biggest tournament of the year.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 11:13 am

I do all of those things. Personally I like a professional athlete I can relate to.

MhdGopher
Veteran

Post by MhdGopher » Sat Apr 07 1:07 pm

Double post.
Last edited by MhdGopher on Sat Apr 07 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MhdGopher
Veteran

Post by MhdGopher » Sat Apr 07 1:08 pm

Millions of people don't watch you do it. The next generation of golfers isn't running around copying everything the Mole does. And you don't get paid enormous sums of money to golf so being an ambassador of the game isn't part of your "The Code"', or job description. You and i can wear shorts when you golf. Tiger can't. There's a reason for that.

One good example of bad ambassadors to the game is the NBA. The NBA didn't used to be a gangster league. It used to be a very proud league. Allen iverson didn't turn it into a gangster league all by himself. It was a lot of, seemingly, minor actions by many people that changed the culture. Now the league is an absolute joke. Why did it happen? Because the leaders of the league at many levels didn't pay attention to minor details. Is Tiger throwing a club going to make the PGA a joke? No. With his visibility and following, does him throwing a club for all to see begin to make things that have never been acceptable before sort of...ok? Maybe. Could that begin to take the game in a direction that, in my opinion, wouldn't be good for the game? Maybe. Id rather see Tiger simply act the way 99% of the golfers before him act than take that chance.

If you can't see the potential impacts of his actions or the difference in context between you doing it and Tiger doing it......well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 1:13 pm

I can see it, I just don't see why its a problem.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Chris83 » Sat Apr 07 3:09 pm

And back to golf...

Whew, Freddie crapping the bed big time; +4 thru 6 holes today. Kuchar and Westwood currently tied for the lead at -5.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 3:18 pm

Westwood has been solid. I think Dufner will win it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 4:01 pm

Rory shot a 42 on the front 9 including 2 double bogies and 2 bogies.
Phil just eagled 13 to tie for the lead at -6!
Kuchar is playing extremely well. Oosthuizen has been very solid as well.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 4:04 pm

Here comes Lefty.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hobey Baker » Sat Apr 07 4:24 pm

MhdGopher wrote:Millions of people don't watch you do it. The next generation of golfers isn't running around copying everything the Mole does. And you don't get paid enormous sums of money to golf so being an ambassador of the game isn't part of your "The Code"', or job description. You and i can wear shorts when you golf. Tiger can't. There's a reason for that.

One good example of bad ambassadors to the game is the NBA. The NBA didn't used to be a gangster league. It used to be a very proud league. Allen iverson didn't turn it into a gangster league all by himself. It was a lot of, seemingly, minor actions by many people that changed the culture. Now the league is an absolute joke. Why did it happen? Because the leaders of the league at many levels didn't pay attention to minor details. Is Tiger throwing a club going to make the PGA a joke? No. With his visibility and following, does him throwing a club for all to see begin to make things that have never been acceptable before sort of...ok? Maybe. Could that begin to take the game in a direction that, in my opinion, wouldn't be good for the game? Maybe. Id rather see Tiger simply act the way 99% of the golfers before him act than take that chance.

If you can't see the potential impacts of his actions or the difference in context between you doing it and Tiger doing it......well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Sitting on the side lines and watching this unfold .. most the 20 somethings view Tiger as their idol and maybe the greatest player of all time. These arguments that you are using are the same ones that most used against Connors and McEnroe in tennis and the next generation of great tennis players (Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Rafter, Chang ) never cursed or carried on like those two just as the 20 somethings don't carry on in golf like Tiger. Tiger needs to clean it up, watch himself but I don't think it will happen. We all will survive and it all will pass just like it did with Johnny Mac and Jimmy Connors. Not condoning it just saying we have seen it all before.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 4:25 pm

Peter Hanson is coming out of nowhere and Lefty is on fire.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 4:33 pm

Is this tournament any good to watch on the weekend? That flop Phil hit on 15 was insane!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 4:34 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Is this tournament any good to watch on the weekend? That flop Phil hit on 15 was insane!

He has absolutely turned it on on the back.
Couples just went birdie-birdie to get back to 4-under!

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 4:35 pm

I can't believe he had the nuts to hit a shot like that.

It was unbelievable. I could try that shot 10 times and it goes in the water 9 of them. (The other one lands short of the green)

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 4:36 pm

The Mole wrote:I can't believe he had the nuts to hit a shot like that.

It was unbelievable. I could try that shot 10 times and it goes in the water 9 of them. (The other one lands short of the green)

I'd go into the water once on the first time and then never do it again.
His short game is insane.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sat Apr 07 4:36 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Is this tournament any good to watch on the weekend? That flop Phil hit on 15 was insane!

The Best!!!

I personally wanted to see Freddie, Tiger, Rory and Phill shoot it out on Sunday!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 4:39 pm

8 different players have held at least a share of the lead today.
Couples, Dufner, Oosthuizen, Mickelson, Hanson, Kuchar, and I can't remember the other 2. Mahan and Stenson maybe?

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Apr 07 4:44 pm

Stenson is one im pretty sure.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sat Apr 07 4:55 pm

Hanson...Jeezus! :shock:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 4:55 pm

I've watched Peter Hanson for a long time on the European Tour. No question he has major game but I have a feeling tomorrow will be a whole different ball of wax for him.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sat Apr 07 5:09 pm

This is some fun stuff to watch! :good2:

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 5:15 pm

Chris83 wrote:This is some fun stuff to watch! :good2:

Bigtime! Just some spectacular golf today.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 5:17 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:I've watched Peter Hanson for a long time on the European Tour. No question he has major game but I have a feeling tomorrow will be a whole different ball of wax for him.

He was already uber-giddy in the post-round interview. Gonna be interesting to see how he handles Masters Sunday, especially if he's in the final group with a guy like Phil.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Apr 07 5:46 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:
MhdGopher wrote:Millions of people don't watch you do it. The next generation of golfers isn't running around copying everything the Mole does. And you don't get paid enormous sums of money to golf so being an ambassador of the game isn't part of your "The Code"', or job description. You and i can wear shorts when you golf. Tiger can't. There's a reason for that.

Sitting on the side lines and watching this unfold .. most the 20 somethings view Tiger as their idol and maybe the greatest player of all time. These arguments that you are using are the same ones that most used against Connors and McEnroe in tennis and the next generation of great tennis players (Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Rafter, Chang ) never cursed or carried on like those two just as the 20 somethings don't carry on in golf like Tiger. Tiger needs to clean it up, watch himself but I don't think it will happen. We all will survive and it all will pass just like it did with Johnny Mac and Jimmy Connors. Not condoning it just saying we have seen it all before.

I don't have a problem with Tiger throwing his clubs...or even (then) kicking them :lol: which I can't re-call ever seeing at a PGA event..and don't care if he swears...but he shouldn't do it when a microphone is right on top of him (at a tee box picking up everything). My biggest criticism of Tiger is that golf is supposedly a gentlemens sport...and Tiger doesn't act like a gentleman on the golf course. He also rarely gives credit to other golfers when they beat him.

And you can't compare his actions to John McEnroe or Jimmy Conners...the sports are way different. I'd argue they're fiery personalities added immensely to the popularity of tennis in the late 70's and early 80's.

I'm just glad Phil will be in the Final Group and hope he wins it. Just like his demeanor on the golf course and his talent. He actually looks like he's having fun out there. Tiger in contrast...even when he was at his best... usually looked like he was passing a kidney stone...until he made his final shot and won a tourney.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sat Apr 07 5:54 pm

It is perfect comparison. Top players acting improperly in an etiquette sport. Setting bad expample for kids. Caught swearing, throwing racquets and carrying on. Yelling come on, yes or fist pumping are both the same in either sport just as throwing a racquet or club are unacceptable. Being firery is allowable in both sports. Have you thought that some might not be offfended at Tiger's actions like some didnt mind Johnny Mac or Jimbo's outbursts???? Just saying!

The PGA will fine Tiger. The PGA doesnt discuss their punishment but it will come out.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Apr 07 6:11 pm

Hobey...I see you're point. I just think golf has (or should have) a higher standard for etiquette (than tennis).

Best thing TTODAY is I'm sure it just burns Tigers arse...that he is +3 and Phil is -8 ... LOL.

Alby22
Rookie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Alby22 » Sat Apr 07 6:22 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:

I don't have a problem with Tiger throwing his clubs...or even (then) kicking them :lol: which I can't re-call ever seeing at a PGA event..and don't care if he swears...but he shouldn't do it when a microphone is right on top of him (at a tee box picking up everything). My biggest criticism of Tiger is that golf is supposedly a gentlemens sport...and Tiger doesn't act like a gentleman on the golf course. He also rarely gives credit to other golfers when they beat him.

And you can't compare his actions to John McEnroe or Jimmy Conners...the sports are way different. I'd argue they're fiery personalities added immensely to the popularity of tennis in the late 70's and early 80's.

I'm just glad Phil will be in the Final Group and hope he wins it. Just like his demeanor on the golf course and his talent. He actually looks like he's having fun out there. Tiger in contrast...even when he was at his best... usually looked like he was passing a kidney stone...until he made his final shot and won a tourney.

Kitten Woods and his tantrums like a 2 year old have been going on for years and it wont change. I remember him saying he would clean up his behavior after he came back to golf from his personal issues. That clearly hasnt and probably wont change.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 07 6:31 pm

I was really hoping Rory would have a good day and position himself for the W :ddown:

Should still be a hell of a Sunday, though!! :dup:
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 6:43 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:It is perfect comparison. Top players acting improperly in an etiquette sport. Setting bad expample for kids. Caught swearing, throwing racquets and carrying on. Yelling come on, yes or fist pumping are both the same in either sport just as throwing a racquet or club are unacceptable. Being firery is allowable in both sports. Have you thought that some might not be offfended at Tiger's actions like some didnt mind Johnny Mac or Jimbo's outbursts???? Just saying!

The PGA will fine Tiger. The PGA doesnt discuss their punishment but it will come out.

Apart from the fact that about 137 people worldwide watched tennis in the early 80's it's a great comparison. :)

MhdGopher
Veteran

Post by MhdGopher » Sat Apr 07 6:58 pm

Spot on. Bringing up that it didn't impact a sport that no one watches and no one cares about, on top of the fact that its way less popular than it was during the timeframe you are referring to, hardly makes the point.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Apr 07 8:23 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:I was really hoping Rory would have a good day and position himself for the W :ddown:

Agreed. His performance was disappointing today.
On the other hand, how many cuss words and club slams did he have today? How bout last year when he melted down?
That's from a 21-22 year old kid. He was able to laugh it off and learn from it last year and seemed in good spirits today after his round (even giving Sergio a hug after they made their first birdie of the day on 12 IIRC)

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sat Apr 07 9:13 pm

Rather interesting that Phil and Peter Hanson squared off in Singles at the last Ryder Cup with Phil winning 4 and 2. Will it be revenge or repeat tomorrow? Can't wait to see what unfolds. I'm not overlooking Louis Oosthuizen either. He looked really in control today and could possibly fly under the radar tomorrow.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 07 9:59 pm

Beauner wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:I was really hoping Rory would have a good day and position himself for the W :ddown:

Agreed. His performance was disappointing today.
On the other hand, how many cuss words and club slams did he have today? How bout last year when he melted down?
That's from a 21-22 year old kid. He was able to laugh it off and learn from it last year and seemed in good spirits today after his round (even giving Sergio a hug after they made their first birdie of the day on 12 IIRC)

That was classic, when they hugged after getting their first birdies :lol:

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Apr 08 9:44 am

bearpaw28 wrote:Hobey...I see you're point. I just think golf has (or should have) a higher standard for etiquette (than tennis).

Best thing TTODAY is I'm sure it just burns Tigers arse...that he is +3 and Phil is -8 ... LOL.

Etiquette is what tennis and golf are are all about .. there is no higher standard for one over the other.

As for ratings an who watched, tennis ratings were huge with Connors and McEnroe .. breakfast at Wimbledon, labor day and night tennis at the US Open.

Ben
Golden
Golden

Post by Ben » Sun Apr 08 9:48 am

There's too much good golf going on at Augusta to waste time thinking about Eldrick.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Apr 08 2:08 pm

Oosthuizen with a double eagle on #2 takes the lead at -10.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sun Apr 08 2:19 pm

Chris83 wrote:Oosthuizen with a double eagle on #2 takes the lead at -10.

And an equally insane par save from behind the green on 3.

At this rate I won't make it to 3 oclock watching this...

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Apr 08 3:48 pm

Phil's gotta make up for that triple on #4. What the hell was he thinking?? Just go back to the tee box and re-load from there. At least give yourself a chance for a 5!

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Apr 08 4:14 pm

Beauner wrote:Phil's gotta make up for that triple on #4. What the hell was he thinking?? Just go back to the tee box and re-load from there. At least give yourself a chance for a 5!

Very "Jean van de Veldesque"

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Apr 08 5:17 pm

How good would Lee Westwood be..if he could putt at all? Talk about a great ball striker who can't make a clutch putt for the life of him.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Apr 08 6:23 pm

Playoffs time!
Bubba and Louis both barely missed birdie putts on first playoff hole.
2nd playoff hole Bubba pulls his drive way into the woods opening the door for Louis... who then follows him into the woods.
This is crazy! :ahhh:

Edit: Louis's shot managed to stay in the rough somehow. Bubba is going to have a very interesting shot...

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Apr 08 6:27 pm

THAT was a nice shot!!! :shock:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Apr 08 6:28 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy :censored: ing :censored: :censored: :censored: Bubba! How the hell did he do that?!?

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Apr 08 6:40 pm

Beauner wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy :censored: ing :censored: :censored: :censored: Bubba! How the hell did he do that?!?

BUBBA...MASTERS CHAMP! :dance:

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Sun Apr 08 6:40 pm

Seve Ballesteros returned to Augusta. That's all the more that can be said about that shot. It actually choked me up to see Bubba win. Unreal to see tour players around the green congratulating him after. Very, very rare.

Oosthuizen was a Terminator all day long but Bubba hammered it down the stretch. Fantastic golf with a great ending.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Apr 08 6:49 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Seve Ballesteros returned to Augusta. That's all the more that can be said about that shot. It actually choked me up to see Bubba win. Unreal to see tour players around the green congratulating him after. Very, very rare.

Agreed. Pretty sure my mom started crying when she saw that and she doesn't even know who he is.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Apr 08 7:18 pm

What a day of shots at the Masters .. Louis's double eagle, the two hole in ones and Bubba's great escape.

What a great day of golf!!!

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Apr 08 7:19 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:How good would Lee Westwood be..if he could putt at all? Talk about a great ball striker who can't make a clutch putt for the life of him.

Sergio's issue also .. did anyone see what Sergio said after yesterdays round?? "I just dont have it. I have tried for 13 years to win a major. I can live life without one!!!"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 779 times
Been liked: 568 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Apr 08 8:08 pm

Beauner wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Epic.

So glad the champion was decided by a great shot and not someone making a silly mistake,
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Apr 08 8:29 pm

So how did the experts hype about Rory and Tiger turn out this week?

Both tied for 40th and Tiger never broke par in any round. :conf2:

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Sun Apr 08 9:13 pm

Talk about a signature shot from BUBBA!

That was a great Masters :dup:

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Apr 08 9:52 pm

Great Masters! Bubba winning was SO cool and I'll tell you, Oosthuizen has seeds the size of watermelons with some of those putts he made today. If the other three Majors are close to this we are in for a great season.

MhdGopher
Veteran

Post by MhdGopher » Sun Apr 08 11:46 pm

Chris83 wrote:Great Masters! Bubba winning was SO cool and I'll tell you, Oosthuizen has seeds the size of watermelons with some of those putts he made today. If the other three Majors are close to this we are in for a great season.

Agree completely on oosty. He is one cool customer. Great day of golf!

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Apr 09 9:11 am

Great win by Bubba. But he really needs to do something about the blubbering every time he wins. He makes Dick Vermeil look manly.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Apr 09 11:32 am

sunbone wrote:Great win by Bubba. But he really needs to do something about the blubbering every time he wins. He makes Dick Vermeil look manly.

I think he cried in every interview he gave after the win. Pretty emotional dude :lol:

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Eckes » Mon Apr 09 11:49 am

Whatever... Bubba's got bigger stones than anyone here. Nothing "un-manly" about it
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Apr 09 12:25 pm

sunbone wrote:Great win by Bubba. But he really needs to do something about the blubbering every time he wins. He makes Dick Vermeil look manly.

I think his first win (the first time he really broke down and cried) was expected after all he had been through with his father and then winning not long after he passed away. I don't think he broke down in his other two PGA wins (New Orleans in 2011 and Farmer's Insurance in 2011 too).

Yesterday was expected and acceptable... He won his first major about 2 weeks after finally getting to adopt a son (his wife can't get pregnant) after being shut out 4 or 5 times in the past year. Supposedly he wasn't even going to play in the tournament this weekend so he could spend more time with his wife and son but his wife forced him to play.
I've got no problem with his crying after these wins.

If he continues to do it, however... That might be strange.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Apr 09 12:36 pm

Beauner wrote:

I think his first win (the first time he really broke down and cried) was expected after all he had been through with his father and then winning not long after he passed away. I don't think he broke down in his other two PGA wins (New Orleans in 2011 and Farmer's Insurance in 2011 too).

Yesterday was expected and acceptable... He won his first major about 2 weeks after finally getting to adopt a son (his wife can't get pregnant) after being shut out 4 or 5 times in the past year. Supposedly he wasn't even going to play in the tournament this weekend so he could spend more time with his wife and son but his wife forced him to play.
I've got no problem with his crying after these wins.

If he continues to do it, however... That might be strange.

Yeah, I got it after his dad passed away. But I'm pretty sure he has cried like that after every tournament he has won. And it isn't like he just gets choked up, he full on wails like a two year old. Guy is fun to watch, just seems like a really odd duck.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Apr 09 12:43 pm

sunbone wrote:Guy is fun to watch, just seems like a really odd duck.

No arguments here. He is definitely a character.
He did purchase the original General Lee not too long ago. :mrgreen:

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Apr 09 1:18 pm

Bubba is fun to watch...has shot-making ability and showmanship in his game...and displays personality. He can also really bomb it off the tee...got a feeling this isn't the last time he makes some noise in major tourneys. If he wins another major he can cry his eyes out and no one will care...as for regular tourneys...he's one enough now to not act quite so emotional (or act surprised) after he wins.

But yesterday, I had no problem with the blubbering...because it was the Masters and his 1st major title. :ahhh: :good2:

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Apr 09 2:14 pm

Bubba's sobbing aside, the other thing I took out of this Masters is that Phil Mickelson is without a doubt the dumbest golfer I have ever seen in my lifetime. On #4 I was begging him to go back to the tee and just take his medicine and get out of there with a 5. He is actually lucky he finished with a 6. The guy could probably have twice as many majors as he does if he wasn't such a dope.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Apr 09 2:18 pm

Chris83 wrote:Great Masters! Bubba winning was SO cool and I'll tell you, Oosthuizen has seeds the size of watermelons with some of those putts he made today. If the other three Majors are close to this we are in for a great season.

AND Tiger cussing away, tossing his clubs and kicking his clubs as he goes 5+ what a jerk :chainsaw:

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Mon Apr 09 2:30 pm

sunbone wrote:Bubba's sobbing aside, the other thing I took out of this Masters is that Phil Mickelson is without a doubt the dumbest golfer I have ever seen in my lifetime. On #4 I was begging him to go back to the tee and just take his medicine and get out of there with a 5. He is actually lucky he finished with a 6. The guy could probably have twice as many majors as he does if he wasn't such a dope.

His options were extremely limited. People seem to think that re-teeing it would've yielded an automatic 5, yet as he said that option wasn't that attractive because he had to hit the same shot again--a 220 yard iron shot with a limited window where he could make par or get up and down from if he missed the green. John Garrity wrote a great article about this on golf.com. He was ridiculously unlucky to hit the 2 inch metal railing on that grandstand. If it goes into the stands (which happens to a bunch of players in every single golf tournament) he gets a free drop and at worst makes a 4. He couldn't take an unplayable lie from the shrub because he still didn't have a swing.

My initial reaction was the same as yours, but after reading Garrity's article and listening to Phil's post round comments my opinion changed completely.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Apr 09 2:37 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:Bubba's sobbing aside, the other thing I took out of this Masters is that Phil Mickelson is without a doubt the dumbest golfer I have ever seen in my lifetime. On #4 I was begging him to go back to the tee and just take his medicine and get out of there with a 5. He is actually lucky he finished with a 6. The guy could probably have twice as many majors as he does if he wasn't such a dope.

His options were extremely limited. People seem to think that re-teeing it would've yielded an automatic 5, yet as he said that option wasn't that attractive because he had to hit the same shot again--a 220 yard iron shot with a limited window where he could make par or get up and down from if he missed the green. John Garrity wrote a great article about this on golf.com. He was ridiculously unlucky to hit the 2 inch metal railing on that grandstand. If it goes into the stands (which happens to a bunch of players in every single golf tournament) he gets a free drop and at worst makes a 4. He couldn't take an unplayable lie from the shrub because he still didn't have a swing.

My initial reaction was the same as yours, but after reading Garrity's article and listening to Phil's post round comments my opinion changed completely.

I listened to what he said but the fact is he was extremely lucky to get out of there with a 6. He could have hit himself with the ball like he almost did or could have hacked 4 more times and not got it out of there. If he goes back to the tee I'm not saying it guarantees a 5 but he has a hell of a lot better chance doing that than hacking right handed out of the bamboo. Going back to the tee means 4 is still in play and unless he gags again 6 is the absolute worst he would do. The way he played it he could have easily taken an 8. Or worse.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Apr 09 2:59 pm

I was impressed that Phil didn't crumble after the triple...most players would have. After the 15th, he was back to 8 under...but it was not enough...Bubba and Louie just played better. Like Phil or not, he displays class both as a golfer and a person. While he certainly has made some bonehead decisions during major tourneys...at least he doesn't whine, throw clubs, curse audibly and act like an arse when he plays pooring. Something Tiger has never (and evidently will never) learn.

Tiger is popular due to the insane amount of athletic ability he has, winning countless tourneys and 14 majors...and people admire how hard he has worked on his game and his body over the years. But if he doesn't continue winning tournaments (and majors) his popularity will eventually fade (big time).

Tiger winning 2 weeks ago got everybody teased up...then he fell flat on his face. Time is running out fast on him catching Jack...which knowing how competitive Jack was...I bet is rather amusing to him.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Mon Apr 09 3:06 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:I was impressed that Phil didn't crumble after the triple...most players would have. After the 15th, he was back to 8 under...but it was not enough...Bubba and Louie just played better. Like Phil or not, he displays class both as a golfer and a person. While he certainly has made some bonehead decisions during major tourneys...at least he doesn't whine, throw clubs, curse audibly and act like an arse when he plays pooring. Something Tiger has never (and evidently will never) learn.

Tiger is popular due to the insane amount of athletic ability he has, winning countless tourneys and 14 majors...and people admire how hard he has worked on his game and his body over the years. But if he doesn't continue winning tournaments (and majors) his popularity will eventually fade (big time).

Tiger winning 2 weeks ago got everybody teased up...then he fell flat on his face. Time is running out fast on him catching Jack...which knowing how competitive Jack was...I bet is rather amusing to him.

I like Phil. But yesterday after the round he talks about how much fun he had out there and blah, blah, blah. If he played smarter and had a little bit of Tiger's fire he could have had a lot more majors than he does. A lot of times he just seems happy to be there. And Phil may display more "class" on the course. As far as off the course as a person? Let me just kind of chuckle at that and move on.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Apr 09 3:14 pm

If you have a good off course Phil story...I'd love to heat it?

And I could careless about Tigers indescretions off the course...that's between him and his wife...(eh..ex-wife). But when a tourney is over...just once I'd like to hear Tiger praise the winner.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Apr 09 3:36 pm

I don't think Phil is just happy to be there. Is he a better actor than Tiger when they interview him...absolutely. But I'm sure he's very disappointed he blew the tourney on #4...he knows it was his to win after Saturday. Winning a 4th Masters matching what Arnie and Tiger have done would have been huge for Phil...but acting bitter in the interview tent wouldn't have changed the outcome.