Wolves / NBA:

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jan 13 3:45 pm

Could he have written that tweet any worse?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jan 13 4:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jan 13 3:45 pm
Could he have written that tweet any worse?
I had to read it a couple of times. But it is a Hershel Walker like trade. 4 first round picks and 4 first round "swaps" and players. Not sure what that means, but guessing it gives Houston the choice to swap picks if they choose?

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3740
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Age: 35

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by MATT » Wed Jan 13 4:33 pm


User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 13 5:51 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jan 13 4:27 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jan 13 3:45 pm
Could he have written that tweet any worse?
I had to read it a couple of times. But it is a Hershel Walker like trade. 4 first round picks and 4 first round "swaps" and players. Not sure what that means, but guessing it gives Houston the choice to swap picks if they choose?
Correct. The NBA prohibits teams from trading first round picks in back to back seasons. So they trade every other year and then "swap picks" if the Nets were to finish below the Rockets (have a higher pick) in the other seasons.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by JWG » Wed Jan 13 10:30 pm

Man... the Wolves are... something.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4817
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Chris83 » Wed Jan 13 10:35 pm

JWG wrote:
Wed Jan 13 10:30 pm
Man... the Wolves are... something.
I was hoping for "moving" instead of "something" :lol:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10423
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 38

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by team22tank » Wed Jan 13 11:24 pm

Do the Wolves ever plan on going out and getting a NBA caliber coach?

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Maize » Thu Jan 14 1:17 am

Failin' for Jalen.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Fri Jan 15 6:01 pm

KAT has tested positive for COVID.

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopher6 » Wed Feb 10 4:26 am

Cuban has ordered stop playing national anthem
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... -direction

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times
Age: 49
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Feb 10 10:15 am

In before the lock.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopher6 » Wed Feb 10 3:09 pm

Well the NBA stepped in and told Cuban to play anthem
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... nal-anthem

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 10 3:57 pm

I made some awesome banana bread last week. I regret not adding walnuts, but it was still delicious.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9687
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 10 4:15 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 10 3:57 pm
I made some awesome banana bread last week. I regret not adding walnuts, but it was still delicious.
Walnuts do make banana bread better, yes.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10388
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times
Age: 45

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 10 5:42 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 10 4:15 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 10 3:57 pm
I made some awesome banana bread last week. I regret not adding walnuts, but it was still delicious.
Walnuts do make banana bread better, yes.
Can you use a Sous Vide to make better banana bread?
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 10 6:01 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 10 4:15 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Feb 10 3:57 pm
I made some awesome banana bread last week. I regret not adding walnuts, but it was still delicious.
Walnuts do make banana bread better, yes.
I'm a big fan of chocolate chips or butterscotch chips mixed in once in a while.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9687
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 10 7:16 pm

I'm skeptical on the Sous Vide, and never tried butterscotch chips, but chocolate chips are definitely a good addition occasionally (not all the time, though, but that's just preference).
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10388
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times
Age: 45

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 10 9:56 pm

Butterscotch in banana bread (or anything for that matter) should be a capital offense.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9687
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 10 10:56 pm

OK... I think it's time to return to the regularly scheduled, non-political topic? :D
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by JWG » Wed Feb 10 11:12 pm

Wolves now officially the worst team in the NBA.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17421
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 11 10:07 am

JWG wrote:
Wed Feb 10 11:12 pm
Wolves now officially the worst team in the NBA.
Same as it ever was.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9687
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 11 10:08 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:07 am
JWG wrote:
Wed Feb 10 11:12 pm
Wolves now officially the worst team in the NBA.
Same as it ever was.
Now now... they had a year or two when they were pretty good... 17 years or so ago?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1250
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 39 times
Age: 35

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Laxref » Thu Feb 11 10:23 am

Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Feb 11 10:33 am

Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:23 am
Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?
Who would be willing to take them?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopher6 » Thu Feb 11 10:44 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:33 am
Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:23 am
Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?
Who would be willing to take them?
Seattle

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10388
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times
Age: 45

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by davescharf » Thu Feb 11 11:05 am

You wonder though with Towns, Russell, and the emergence of Beasley if this could actually be a good team with the right coach. They’ll still be mostly terrible defensively but I think Saunders is in way over his head even if the players like him
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1250
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 39 times
Age: 35

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Laxref » Thu Feb 11 11:20 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:33 am
Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:23 am
Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?
Who would be willing to take them?
Las Vegas

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9687
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 11 11:32 am

Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 11:20 am
Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:33 am
Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:23 am
Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?
Who would be willing to take them?
Las Vegas
Of course if that happens, they'll get the #1 lottery pick 2 of the following 3 years...
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 11 12:05 pm

I'll trade the wolves for a first round NHL pick from the Golden Knights.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3569
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Feb 11 2:23 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 11 12:05 pm
I'll trade the wolves for a first round NHL pick from the Golden Knights.
You drive a harder bargain than I would.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 11 2:34 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Thu Feb 11 2:23 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 11 12:05 pm
I'll trade the wolves for a first round NHL pick from the Golden Knights.
You drive a harder bargain than I would.
When negotiating a sale, start high.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Feb 11 3:01 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Feb 11 11:32 am
Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 11:20 am
Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:33 am
Laxref wrote:
Thu Feb 11 10:23 am
Will the wolves be in Minnesota in 5 years?
Who would be willing to take them?
Las Vegas
Of course if that happens, they'll get the #1 lottery pick 2 of the following 3 years...
And win the title in year 4.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Feb 11 5:55 pm

I lost all interest in the NBA the way players are the personnel managers.
I used to go to a lot (like all) of my grandkids games from travel thru HS but I have no interest at all in the NBA.
NCAA I'll sometimes watch. Watching Gophers / Purdue right now
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10843
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 11 6:14 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 5:55 pm
I lost all interest in the NBA the way players are the personnel managers.
I used to go to a lot (like all) of my grandkids games from travel thru HS but I have no interest at all in the NBA.
NCAA I'll sometimes watch. Watching Gophers / Purdue right now
I was a huge NBA fan back in the 80’s. Dr. J’s 76ers were my favorite team.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17421
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 11 11:41 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 11 6:14 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 5:55 pm
I lost all interest in the NBA the way players are the personnel managers.
I used to go to a lot (like all) of my grandkids games from travel thru HS but I have no interest at all in the NBA.
NCAA I'll sometimes watch. Watching Gophers / Purdue right now
I was a huge NBA fan back in the 80’s. Dr. J’s 76ers were my favorite team.
I lost 95% of my interest about the time Kobe started taking over the league. And although hockey was by far the #1 sport in our house, we definitely were fans of the NBA in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, and before the Wolves came along I was a huge Celtics fan because of McHale.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopher6 » Fri Feb 12 6:40 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 5:55 pm
I lost all interest in the NBA the way players are the personnel managers.
I used to go to a lot (like all) of my grandkids games from travel thru HS but I have no interest at all in the NBA.
NCAA I'll sometimes watch. Watching Gophers / Purdue right now
NBA = Nothing but attitude, I can not watch

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4817
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Chris83 » Fri Feb 12 10:35 am

Regarding the Wolves I've said this before, but my opinion is that as long as Taylor owns the team the toxicity will continue. The franchise needs a new vision and fresh reboot. Do a clean, complete break from the past. Flip will always have a place in my heart as a Gopher. My HS friends and I were at every home game for the '76-'77 squad, with Flip, Mychal Thompson, McHale, Ray Williams, sitting in the general admission rafters at the Barn. Absolutely incredible season, even though it was later "erased". And his years as the Wolves' coach produced the high points for the franchise. But Flip is gone and Ryan Saunders needs to go. If he wasn't Flip's son he wouldn't be the head coach...period.
As for the NBA in general, I have tended to watch once the playoffs start. However, my interest has diminished the past few years with the emergence of the "All-Star Team" era. I don't begrudge the players arranging these mega-squads, I just have little desire to watch it.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times
Age: 49
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Feb 12 12:58 pm

Agreed on Taylor. The best thing for the T-wolves would be for Taylor to sell the team to a well known, young, minority owner who the players can relate to and who can recruit players to Minnesota. I have no idea who that person is but it would represent a 180 degree change for this franchise.

User avatar
Master_Shake
Rookie
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Mar 03 11:14 pm
Location: Northwest Minny
Been liked: 2 times
Age: 41

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Master_Shake » Fri Feb 12 2:34 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Fri Feb 12 12:58 pm
Agreed on Taylor. The best thing for the T-wolves would be for Taylor to sell the team to a well known, young, minority owner who the players can relate to and who can recruit players to Minnesota. I have no idea who that person is but it would represent a 180 degree change for this franchise.
LOL that person is KG

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times
Age: 49
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Feb 12 2:54 pm

I thought of KG but I wonder if he falls into the Barkley/Shaq mold that players have already tuned out.

User avatar
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Nov 02 4:14 pm
Location: God's Country
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Feb 12 9:04 pm

Master_Shake wrote:
Fri Feb 12 2:34 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Fri Feb 12 12:58 pm
Agreed on Taylor. The best thing for the T-wolves would be for Taylor to sell the team to a well known, young, minority owner who the players can relate to and who can recruit players to Minnesota. I have no idea who that person is but it would represent a 180 degree change for this franchise.
LOL that person is KG
Anyone check the weather this week? It doesn't matter who owns the club, who coaches the club, or who plays on the club, in today's NBA, you need to get the superstar free agent. It has never happened here and it never will.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Feb 12 9:10 pm

Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Fri Feb 12 9:04 pm
Master_Shake wrote:
Fri Feb 12 2:34 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Fri Feb 12 12:58 pm
Agreed on Taylor. The best thing for the T-wolves would be for Taylor to sell the team to a well known, young, minority owner who the players can relate to and who can recruit players to Minnesota. I have no idea who that person is but it would represent a 180 degree change for this franchise.
LOL that person is KG
Anyone check the weather this week? It doesn't matter who owns the club, who coaches the club, or who plays on the club, in today's NBA, you need to get the superstar free agent. It has never happened here and it never will.
There you go. Letting facts get in the way. It was -27 up in our favorite neighborhood Thur. AM.
Not there now so it is a balmy -15.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Nov 02 4:14 pm
Location: God's Country
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Feb 12 9:14 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Feb 11 11:41 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 11 6:14 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Feb 11 5:55 pm
I lost all interest in the NBA the way players are the personnel managers.
I used to go to a lot (like all) of my grandkids games from travel thru HS but I have no interest at all in the NBA.
NCAA I'll sometimes watch. Watching Gophers / Purdue right now
I was a huge NBA fan back in the 80’s. Dr. J’s 76ers were my favorite team.
I lost 95% of my interest about the time Kobe started taking over the league. And although hockey was by far the #1 sport in our house, we definitely were fans of the NBA in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, and before the Wolves came along I was a huge Celtics fan because of McHale.
I hear ya Blade. I would much rather watch kids play for the love of the game than some prima donna for money. Happy, and somewhat surprised that the Gophers held on last night.

You mean Moses Malone's sixers. He was unreal and while not the face of that franchise, can be argued as having a bigger impact. The doc was amazing and had some serious fro!

I was a HUGE NBA fan in the 80's and 90's. I watched and attended countless games (the best being at Chicago Stadium). While my dad was a Celtics fan, I was a believer that the kid from UNC was gonna turn his franchise around. It took a while, but boy did he ever. After his 1st retirement (suspension) I lost some interest and his 2nd may have well ended it. And if it didn't, the 2004 Western Conference Finals sure did.

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Maize » Fri Feb 12 9:30 pm

Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Fri Feb 12 9:04 pm
Anyone check the weather this week? It doesn't matter who owns the club, who coaches the club, or who plays on the club, in today's NBA, you need to get the superstar free agent. It has never happened here and it never will.
A guy that played for the Wolves two years ago carried his team to the Finals last season.

User avatar
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Nov 02 4:14 pm
Location: God's Country
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Feb 12 9:49 pm

Maize wrote:
Fri Feb 12 9:30 pm
Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Fri Feb 12 9:04 pm
Anyone check the weather this week? It doesn't matter who owns the club, who coaches the club, or who plays on the club, in today's NBA, you need to get the superstar free agent. It has never happened here and it never will.
A guy that played for the Wolves two years ago carried his team to the Finals last season.
I stand corrected. The Wolves got a really good player to come here and play really hard for a little while.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Feb 13 8:07 am

I had no idea who Jimmy Buckets and Thibs were until the were here.
That bit that Thibs ran had a limited shelf life & Jimmy's is the same. The thing is I like Jimmy's game, I'm just not sure he is as good of a teammate as HE believes he is.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Nov 02 4:14 pm
Location: God's Country
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Sat Feb 13 9:53 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Sat Feb 13 8:07 am
I had no idea who Jimmy Buckets and Thibs were until the were here.
That bit that Thibs ran had a limited shelf life & Jimmy's is the same. The thing is I like Jimmy's game, I'm just not sure he is as good of a teammate as HE believes he is.
You put it much better than I did.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Mon Feb 15 11:14 pm

Former Gopher Amir Coffey is 5/6 from 3-pt range tonight in the Clippers vs. Heat game.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Tue Feb 16 8:12 pm

D'Angelo Russell having arthroscopic knee surgery. Out 4-6 weeks for Wolves.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Feb 19 9:36 pm

I turned on the Wolves game. Watched them go on a 10-0 run. Got bored and turned off the TV.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 9095
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Feb 21 10:08 pm

Wolves fire Ryan Saunders

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5711
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times
Age: 34

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Feb 21 10:13 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Feb 21 10:08 pm
Wolves fire Ryan Saunders
And have already hired Toronto’s assistant coach as their head coach.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 9095
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Feb 21 11:18 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Feb 21 10:13 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Feb 21 10:08 pm
Wolves fire Ryan Saunders
And have already hired Toronto’s assistant coach as their head coach.
Seems like they had a multi year deal with Chris Finch already in place.

Can’t blame e wolves, with the league worse record and lost 8 out of last 9

User avatar
ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Mar 08 10:29 am
Location: Sitting out 2017 season
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Feb 21 11:22 pm

Good luck to new coach Chris Finch. They just played against Toronto on Friday. He could have stayed here and unpacked.

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4817
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Chris83 » Mon Feb 22 12:30 am

10th coach in 15 years. Again, Taylor is the chaotic constant.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10843
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 22 8:34 am

Chris83 wrote:
Mon Feb 22 12:30 am
10th coach in 15 years. Again, Taylor is the chaotic constant.
That is just an amazing stat. A new coach basically every 1.5 years.

Dumb question, what is it that Taylor does/doesn't do that causes this to happen?
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times
Age: 49
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Feb 22 10:20 am

New GM's always bring in their guy to coach so this shouldn't be a big surprise. Hopefully, Rosas knows how to build a roster and the new guy knows how to coach them.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Mon Feb 22 10:56 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 22 8:34 am
Chris83 wrote:
Mon Feb 22 12:30 am
10th coach in 15 years. Again, Taylor is the chaotic constant.
That is just an amazing stat. A new coach basically every 1.5 years.

Dumb question, what is it that Taylor does/doesn't do that causes this to happen?
In short, the people he hires to manage are freaking terrible. He seems to think he knows more than the people he hires to know things. Think Jerry Jones' dumber brother.

Going back to Kevin Love, he refused to give him a 5 year max, gave him a 3-year opt out, and then ripped Kevin Love for his performances.

The team was 20-20 under Dwane Casey in 2006-2007 (Casey's second season), a roster featuring a 30 year old KG, and basketball luminaries like Ricky Davis, Randy Foye, Marko Jaric, and Rashad McCants. Taylor fired Dwane Casey with a record at .500, and replaced him with Randy Wittman who led the team to a 12-30 record the rest of the way. Casey took over Toronto a few years later and in two seasons turned them from a 22-60 record the year before he got hired into a top contender in the East, including winning their division and being a top playoff seed five years in a row.

Hell, going back to the decision to fire Flip back in 2004, right after the only time the team had won a single playoff series (losing in the conference finals), because the team got off to a slow start.

Then the failed hiring of Kahn (really the franchise-changer), allowing McHale too much leash (hiring and firing like 3 coaches in 5 years after Flip)...

There's been one common denominator with all the terrible decisions this franchise has made. His name is Glen Taylor.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20236
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 22 11:05 am

The Lions point at the ‘wolves and laugh.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10843
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 22 11:15 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Feb 22 10:56 am
Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 22 8:34 am
Chris83 wrote:
Mon Feb 22 12:30 am
10th coach in 15 years. Again, Taylor is the chaotic constant.
That is just an amazing stat. A new coach basically every 1.5 years.

Dumb question, what is it that Taylor does/doesn't do that causes this to happen?
In short, the people he hires to manage are freaking terrible. He seems to think he knows more than the people he hires to know things. Think Jerry Jones' dumber brother.

Going back to Kevin Love, he refused to give him a 5 year max, gave him a 3-year opt out, and then ripped Kevin Love for his performances.

The team was 20-20 under Dwane Casey in 2006-2007 (Casey's second season), a roster featuring a 30 year old KG, and basketball luminaries like Ricky Davis, Randy Foye, Marko Jaric, and Rashad McCants. Taylor fired Dwane Casey with a record at .500, and replaced him with Randy Wittman who led the team to a 12-30 record the rest of the way. Casey took over Toronto a few years later and in two seasons turned them from a 22-60 record the year before he got hired into a top contender in the East, including winning their division and being a top playoff seed five years in a row.

Hell, going back to the decision to fire Flip back in 2004, right after the only time the team had won a single playoff series (losing in the conference finals), because the team got off to a slow start.

Then the failed hiring of Kahn (really the franchise-changer), allowing McHale too much leash (hiring and firing like 3 coaches in 5 years after Flip)...

There's been one common denominator with all the terrible decisions this franchise has made. His name is Glen Taylor.
I'm not a great NBA mind nor an NBA fan. Thanks for the great insights. I would agree that the David Kahn hiring may go down in history as one of the worst decisions in MN pro sports history.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10388
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times
Age: 45

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 22 11:34 am

It’s hard to argue who was worse - David Kahn or Tim Brewster
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7461
Joined: Fri Jan 09 8:15 am
Location: Maplewood
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Iceburg » Mon Feb 22 12:14 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 22 11:34 am
It’s hard to argue who was worse - David Kahn or Tim Brewster
Throw in Les Steckel and take suggestions as to who fills out the Mount Rushmore.
Image

Retired Thread Police

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17421
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Feb 22 2:21 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Mon Feb 22 12:14 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 22 11:34 am
It’s hard to argue who was worse - David Kahn or Tim Brewster
Throw in Les Steckel and take suggestions as to who fills out the Mount Rushmore.
I'd add Norm Green.

Regarding the new coaching hire:

Positives: he's had nothing to do with the Timberwolves organization. Until now. :oops:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Mon Feb 22 2:50 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Feb 22 2:21 pm
Iceburg wrote:
Mon Feb 22 12:14 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 22 11:34 am
It’s hard to argue who was worse - David Kahn or Tim Brewster
Throw in Les Steckel and take suggestions as to who fills out the Mount Rushmore.
I'd add Norm Green.

Regarding the new coaching hire:

Positives: he's had nothing to do with the Timberwolves organization. Until now. :oops:
He supposedly had interviewed for the job when it was open before and given to Saunders (I have a suspicion that Taylor weighed in heavily in that decision too, given his relationship with the Saunders family).

I do think Ryan has the ability to be a very good coach. Unfortunately with Towns and/or Russell being hurt basically the entire time they've been on the same team, we never got to see what the team would look like with him at the helm and those two with Beasley and Anthony Edwards playing. I heard today that KAT and DLo have played only 5 games together since the trade acquisition for DLo. That's kinda insane.

Wouldn't shock me if Ryan tries his hand as a college coach, TBH.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15705
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Feb 22 4:22 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Feb 22 2:50 pm
Wouldn't shock me if Ryan tries his hand as a college coach, TBH.
Job will be open across the river within a couple months.
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Feb 22 4:26 pm

Here is the list of coaches in Wolves history... Ryan Saunders winning% is in the middle of the pack :shock:

1 Bill Musselman 1989–1991 164 51-113 .311
2 Jimmy Rodgers 1991–1993 111 21-90 .189
3 Sidney Lowe 1993–1994 135 33-102 .244
4 Bill Blair 1994–1995 102 27-75 .265
5 Flip Saunders 1995–2005 737 411-326 .558 2003–04 Midwest Division championship
6 Kevin McHale 2005 31 19-12 .613
7 Dwane Casey 2005–2007 122 53-69 .434
8 Randy Wittman 2007–2008 143 38-105 .266
— Kevin McHale 2008–2009 63 20-43 .317
9 Kurt Rambis 2009–2011 164 32-132 .195
10 Rick Adelman 2011–2014 230 97-133 .422
- Flip Saunders 2014–2015 82 16-66 .195
11 Sam Mitchell 2015–2016 82 29-53 .354
12 Tom Thibodeau 2016–2019 204 97-107 .475
13 Ryan Saunders 2019–2021 106 36-70 .340

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15705
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Feb 22 4:31 pm

Well ya, Wolves are a joke
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1250
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 39 times
Age: 35

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Laxref » Mon Feb 22 5:06 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Feb 22 4:22 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Feb 22 2:50 pm
Wouldn't shock me if Ryan tries his hand as a college coach, TBH.
Job will be open across the river within a couple months.
Love to see Ryan coaching the maroon and gold.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Beauner » Mon Feb 22 7:39 pm

I knew Kurt Rambis was bad. But that list frozen4champs posted... my god.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4817
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Chris83 » Mon Feb 22 9:30 pm

Let's not forget Glen's under the table mastery in the Joe Smith catastrophe.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Feb 25 4:39 pm


User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15705
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Mar 03 11:13 am

Wolves now have the worst winning percentage of any franchise in the big four. Send them to another place
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by JWG » Wed Mar 03 6:59 pm

I think Vegas needs a bouncy ball team. I know an inept franchise in need of a home.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Mar 03 8:35 pm

JWG wrote:
Wed Mar 03 6:59 pm
I think Vegas needs a bouncy ball team. I know an inept franchise in need of a home.
I offered to trade the Timberwolves to Las Vegas for a 1st round NHL draft pick and nobody bit.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3228
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Wolves / NBA:

Post by D2D » Wed Mar 03 8:41 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Mar 03 8:35 pm
I offered to trade the Timberwolves to Las Vegas for a 1st round NHL draft pick and nobody bit.
Wolves on the ice would have good reach, but hitting the net would be a problem. Might have to throw in Parise to sweeten the deal.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Post Reply