Wild 2020-2021 Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jan 26 9:33 pm

Didn't get any bounces in that one.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Jan 26 9:34 pm

The Minnesota Mild - Making Mediocre goalies look like Vezina Candidates since 2000!

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jan 28 10:18 am

The Wild will have 4 new lines tonight

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 7:57 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 10:18 am
The Wild will have 4 new lines tonight
So far so good.

Feels like the theme of this season is gonna be “man I’m sick of watching the Wild play ______”
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 28 8:07 pm

Tonights drinking game-- When Walz says "I promise you" take a drink. Up to 4 so far.

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 8:11 pm

5
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm

Ugly penalty on Fiala
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 8:42 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...
There obviously wasn’t malicious intent but he should have just laid off
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 28 8:44 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...
Down played it, and said sometimes the other players weight shifts etc. LaPanta said it was an easy 5. There should be zero debate about a hit like that.

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10423
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 38

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by team22tank » Thu Jan 28 9:14 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...
There is no, How. Because Walz wasn’t defending it.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jan 28 9:23 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu Jan 28 9:14 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...
There is no, How. Because Walz wasn’t defending it.
I guess we will agree to disagree on how we interpreted what he said. That is fine.

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 9:29 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 9:23 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Jan 28 9:14 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:23 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Walz is trying to defend the play....
How?!? I saw the hit on Russo's feed, that's a big fat no-no. Fine at a minimum, likely a game or 2 suspension...
There is no, How. Because Walz wasn’t defending it.
I guess we will agree to disagree on how we interpreted what he said. That is fine.
He was just explaining how is happens and somehow managed to do it without saying “I promise you”.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3087
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 53 times
Age: 27

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Jan 28 9:38 pm

We sure never make it easy..
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 28 9:41 pm

Joel Eriksson-Ek is tied for second in the NHL in goals so far. I did not see that coming.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Jan 28 9:49 pm

I would have been surprised if he was 2nd on the Wild in goals.
I love his game and how he is relentless on the forecheck.
I was impressed with how Sturm stepped right in on the heavy line.
Attn. V. Rask.....You best pick it up.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 28 10:35 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Jan 28 9:49 pm
I would have been surprised if he was 2nd on the Wild in goals.
I love his game and how he is relentless on the forecheck.
I was impressed with how Sturm stepped right in on the heavy line.
Attn. V. Rask.....You best pick it up.
Amazing how when you do hockey if you play harder than the other guys you will enjoy positive results. The coaches should talk about that more :dance:
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8524
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 547 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jan 28 11:09 pm

Image

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 6:18 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
What happened? I was half listening to the radio as I picked up my kid from practice. It sounded like a puck flew up under someone’s visor, possibly hit the eye. And they said something about having to clean up the ice. Sounded grotesque. But I haven’t found anything online to say who was hurt or how bad it was.

Edit- I found it finally. It was Sean Walker. Well at least Dumba doesn’t have a hard slap shot......

From the radio call it sounded like Dumba took the hit.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Beauner » Fri Jan 29 9:19 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:09 pm
Image
This is one of my favorite SNL bits ever.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Fri Jan 29 9:43 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 6:18 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
What happened? I was half listening to the radio as I picked up my kid from practice. It sounded like a puck flew up under someone’s visor, possibly hit the eye. And they said something about having to clean up the ice. Sounded grotesque. But I haven’t found anything online to say who was hurt or how bad it was.

Edit- I found it finally. It was Sean Walker. Well at least Dumba doesn’t have a hard slap shot......

From the radio call it sounded like Dumba took the hit.
He was bleeding like a stuck pig. It was terrible. The teams stopped playing before the whistle.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 10:42 am

streakygopher wrote:
Fri Jan 29 9:43 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 6:18 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
What happened? I was half listening to the radio as I picked up my kid from practice. It sounded like a puck flew up under someone’s visor, possibly hit the eye. And they said something about having to clean up the ice. Sounded grotesque. But I haven’t found anything online to say who was hurt or how bad it was.

Edit- I found it finally. It was Sean Walker. Well at least Dumba doesn’t have a hard slap shot......

From the radio call it sounded like Dumba took the hit.
He was bleeding like a stuck pig. It was terrible. The teams stopped playing before the whistle.
I think they stopped playing somewhat because the goalie had the puck covered, but as the whistle was still blowing, a couple Wild players were waving to the bench to get the doc out there. That was definitely a nasty shot.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 11:09 am

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Jan 29 10:42 am
streakygopher wrote:
Fri Jan 29 9:43 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 6:18 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
What happened? I was half listening to the radio as I picked up my kid from practice. It sounded like a puck flew up under someone’s visor, possibly hit the eye. And they said something about having to clean up the ice. Sounded grotesque. But I haven’t found anything online to say who was hurt or how bad it was.

Edit- I found it finally. It was Sean Walker. Well at least Dumba doesn’t have a hard slap shot......

From the radio call it sounded like Dumba took the hit.
He was bleeding like a stuck pig. It was terrible. The teams stopped playing before the whistle.
I think they stopped playing somewhat because the goalie had the puck covered, but as the whistle was still blowing, a couple Wild players were waving to the bench to get the doc out there. That was definitely a nasty shot.
FSN is airing the replay now. I have it recording to see what happened.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Jan 29 11:49 am

streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
I won't play pick up hockey without a cage. It's always surprised me how it's not required in professional hockey (and some junior leagues). I get it. Hockey players are tough... blah, blah, blah. But when you see someone blasted in the face with a slap shot like this, it makes you wonder why something so simple can't be worn. Wearing a cage/bubble doesn't seem to affect college players.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 426 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by D2D » Fri Jan 29 11:58 am

They could start by requiring the players to wear an extended face shield, say another inch, that would fully protect their eyes while having no effect on their breathing.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 426 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by D2D » Fri Jan 29 11:58 am

They could start by requiring the players to wear an extended face shield, say another inch, that would fully protect their eyes while having no effect on their breathing.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 12:10 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jan 29 11:49 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
I won't play pick up hockey without a cage. It's always surprised me how it's not required in professional hockey (and some junior leagues). I get it. Hockey players are tough... blah, blah, blah. But when you see someone blasted in the face with a slap shot like this, it makes you wonder why something so simple can't be worn. Wearing a cage/bubble doesn't seem to affect college players.
Some argue players are cheaper and tend to get sticks up high more frequently when cages are used. I don't know if that is the official rationale.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 12:22 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:10 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jan 29 11:49 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
I won't play pick up hockey without a cage. It's always surprised me how it's not required in professional hockey (and some junior leagues). I get it. Hockey players are tough... blah, blah, blah. But when you see someone blasted in the face with a slap shot like this, it makes you wonder why something so simple can't be worn. Wearing a cage/bubble doesn't seem to affect college players.
Some argue players are cheaper and tend to get sticks up high more frequently when cages are used. I don't know if that is the official rationale.
Make calling high-sticking a focus, and start handing out suspensions to repeat offenders. Not that every high-stick deserves a suspension, because :censored: happens, but if someone is careless enough to get more than a few a season, the threat of suspensions will help with that. Won't solve it, but every bit helps.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 12:22 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 11:09 am
Steve MN wrote:
Fri Jan 29 10:42 am
streakygopher wrote:
Fri Jan 29 9:43 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 6:18 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 28 8:21 pm
Ugly penalty on Fiala
Even a Hawk's fan would have to admit that was a major penalty...very serious infraction. Fiala deserves a suspension.

Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
What happened? I was half listening to the radio as I picked up my kid from practice. It sounded like a puck flew up under someone’s visor, possibly hit the eye. And they said something about having to clean up the ice. Sounded grotesque. But I haven’t found anything online to say who was hurt or how bad it was.

Edit- I found it finally. It was Sean Walker. Well at least Dumba doesn’t have a hard slap shot......

From the radio call it sounded like Dumba took the hit.
He was bleeding like a stuck pig. It was terrible. The teams stopped playing before the whistle.
I think they stopped playing somewhat because the goalie had the puck covered, but as the whistle was still blowing, a couple Wild players were waving to the bench to get the doc out there. That was definitely a nasty shot.
FSN is airing the replay now. I have it recording to see what happened.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 180 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Zwak » Fri Jan 29 12:23 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:10 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jan 29 11:49 am
streakygopher wrote:
Thu Jan 28 11:34 pm
Now, why these guys don't wear full face covers is another matter. The Kings player who took one to the face looks like he was hurt badly.
I won't play pick up hockey without a cage. It's always surprised me how it's not required in professional hockey (and some junior leagues). I get it. Hockey players are tough... blah, blah, blah. But when you see someone blasted in the face with a slap shot like this, it makes you wonder why something so simple can't be worn. Wearing a cage/bubble doesn't seem to affect college players.
Some argue players are cheaper and tend to get sticks up high more frequently when cages are used. I don't know if that is the official rationale.
I believe Wooger also was not a fan of the cages/full face guards. He felt players played with more reckless abandon with the full faces covered.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Jan 29 12:53 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:23 pm
I believe Wooger also was not a fan of the cages/full face guards. He felt players played with more reckless abandon with the full faces covered.
I love the Wooger, but I think the 40 years since cages were required in college hockey have pretty much debunked this theory.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 426 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by D2D » Fri Jan 29 1:04 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:53 pm
Zwak wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:23 pm
I believe Wooger also was not a fan of the cages/full face guards. He felt players played with more reckless abandon with the full faces covered.
I love the Wooger, but I think the 40 years since cages were required in college hockey have pretty much debunked this theory.
That and the stiff penalties for hits to the head.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jan 29 1:17 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Jan 29 1:04 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:53 pm
Zwak wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:23 pm
I believe Wooger also was not a fan of the cages/full face guards. He felt players played with more reckless abandon with the full faces covered.
I love the Wooger, but I think the 40 years since cages were required in college hockey have pretty much debunked this theory.
That and the stiff penalties for hits to the head.
Sometimes
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 1:19 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Jan 29 12:22 pm

Christ on a Cracker. That is a lot of blood in a short amount of time.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 1:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 29 1:19 pm
Christ on a Cracker. That is a lot of blood in a short amount of time.
Not sure exactly where he got cut, but if you get a gouge just below the eye, that's what it looks like. Think about getting bags below your eyes, or how easy it is to get a black eye... there's a lot of blood right in that area.

I slipped on a rug and hit just barely below my eye on the corner of the oven back when I was 12 or so, and it was pretty nasty. I was VERY lucky that I wasn't about 1/2 inch shorter at the time, or I'd probably be missing an eye.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8524
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 547 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jan 29 2:02 pm

Yeah I couldn’t tell if it hit his mouth or up under the shield. That had to be fun to clean up, it was quite a trail. Ouch.

I feel bad for an injury but don’t feel bad when they consciously forego proper face protection - and get hit in the face. But everything carries risk and that’s risks they choose to take.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 2:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jan 29 2:02 pm
Yeah I couldn’t tell if it hit his mouth or up under the shield. That had to be fun to clean up, it was quite a trail. Ouch.

I feel bad for an injury but don’t feel bad when they consciously forego proper face protection - and get hit in the face. But everything carries risk and that’s risks they choose to take.
Part of the problem is, it isn't an individual decision. The last time I checked, if you don't have a facial injury that you're still re-habbing, you CAN'T wear a full face shield.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17410
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 380 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jan 29 2:16 pm

It looks to me that it got him very close to the mouth.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Fri Jan 29 2:23 pm

I know it's a tough guy sport and all, but who wants to go through life in their twenties and thirties with fake teeth and a zipper face?

If he's wearing proper protection, he doesn't even miss a shift.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 2:39 pm

I am going to guess his nose was shattered. I’ve seen noses drain blood like that.

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times
Age: 34

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Jan 29 3:29 pm

CAUTION!!!!!!

Here’s a link to the picture of his face. DO NOT CLICK if you don’t want to see the ugly aftermath.
Hidden Content...
(Mods you can remove if too graphic)

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14457
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 53

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jan 29 3:36 pm

I remember being at a North Star game where Todd Elik was hit in the face with the puck after a slapper. Nice pool of blood formed on the ice afterwards. Yuck.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jan 29 3:50 pm

Yeah, that's pretty nasty, and a proper use of the hide tag. Hope he didn't actually injure his eye.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 29 4:23 pm

I guess the answer is all of the above (smashed nose AND eye). Yikes!

That will require some surgeries.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8524
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 547 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jan 29 4:57 pm

And how many games will he miss?

Edit: the guy with the facial reconstruction
Last edited by Cowgirl on Fri Jan 29 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Border Gopher
Veteran
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Nov 28 5:48 pm
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Border Gopher » Fri Jan 29 5:07 pm

Fiala suspended for 3 games
"A real man makes his own [puck] luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jan 29 6:05 pm

Blood on the ice always makes me think of Tom Reid’s story when he played for the North Stars and there was a player down on the ice. One of the other players quickly skates over and says “give me a towel there’s a lot of blood”. A couple minutes later the guy brings the towel back and it’s clean. Reid says “what happened?” and the guy says “he was laying on the faceoff dot”
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Jan 29 10:26 pm

Border Gopher wrote:
Fri Jan 29 5:07 pm
Fiala suspended for 3 games
Don't get me wrong, that was a pretty bad hit. I am a little surprised at three games. I thought 2, and maybe they might even only do 1.

When was the last time a guy with no priors got a 3 game suspension? Maybe it isn't as harsh as I am thinking...

Also funny, how they walk through everything in the video and then say "This is Boarding." Well... yeah... but its also a pretty clear Check From Behind. Why the NHL refuses to call a CFB a CFB is beyond me. He got a major and game - which is the NHL rule for CFB (Rule 43). I just don't understand why the insist on not having officials call CFB or even labeling something as vicious as that a CFB.

But I also don't understand why the NHL tells officials to not call crosschecks in front of the net, specifically crosschecks from behind into the back.

The 2 Wild games I have been able to watch along with a few others, and maybe it is just bad hockey so far, I am a little amazed at just how much interference is being allowed.

But heaven forbid a guy shoot the puck over the glass, then we need a powerplay! Player safety? HA.

EDIT: This hit is arguably worse, a player with no history, and only got 2 games:


"This is boarding." haha. Also a straight up, dangerous as hell, CFB.

3 games? Fine. Lets just be consistent with it NHL.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Beauner » Sat Jan 30 9:16 am

I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jan 30 9:30 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Maybe back in the day when blocking shots wasn't really a thing I could see that. Any time somewhat recently? Haha yeah no way.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by gopher6 » Sat Jan 30 10:06 am

Here is the ugly photo

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 30 10:19 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8139
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by JWG » Sat Jan 30 10:59 am

So stupid you can’t wear a full face shield in the NHL. Safety first... :roll:
JWG :M:

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Sat Jan 30 11:24 am

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
It's not an "unwritten" rule, it's very much written. As of the start of the 2013-14 season, any player that didn't have at least 25 games played in the NHL was required to have a visor on their helmet. The next sub-rule says that anyone with a facial injury can wear a full mask/protection devices. So, unless you've actually got a facial injury already, you can't wear a full mask. That's what needs to be changed. If they're worried about too much stick-work to the face as a result of people with full masks/cages, then, start calling more penalties, including more majors/misconducts, and suspensions.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Beauner » Sat Jan 30 11:37 am

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
His primary argument was something along the lines of "you're not supposed to wind up a slapshot when there's a guy in front of you" apparently.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Sat Jan 30 11:38 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:37 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
His primary argument was something along the lines of "you're not supposed to wind up a slapshot when there's a guy in front of you" apparently.
Ummmm... yeah... not so much.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
hrbekroenick
Veteran
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Feb 11 4:18 pm
Location: Blaine
Has liked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by hrbekroenick » Sat Jan 30 11:51 am

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:38 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:37 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
His primary argument was something along the lines of "you're not supposed to wind up a slapshot when there's a guy in front of you" apparently.
Ummmm... yeah... not so much.
Most good powerplays revolve around getting a slapper, preferably from the off-wing. I'm a lefty with glacial speed, but I play the right wing for this reason. You're shooting from the middle of the ice, which is a quicker and better angle. Look at how many PP's revolve around the top of the umbrella, it's for this reason. To make better use of the time and space. Look at the winners of the hardest shot competition - most have been d-men. Going back to 1990ish, I think Fedorov and Ovechkin are the only forwards ( I know Feds played some D). Do you think Macinnis, Chara, Weber etc give a Frenchman's Fork about bodies being in front? It's about screens, traffic and getting pucks to the net.

If it's a fun skate with friends, a group with very mixed talent, or a league that is not over-competitive I could see it. This is the National League. I'm extra surprised that someone who has played a high level thinks this way.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9682
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 150 times
Age: 48

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Steve MN » Sat Jan 30 11:53 am

hrbekroenick wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:51 am
If it's a fun skate with friends, a group with very mixed talent, or a league that is not over-competitive I could see it. This is the National League. I'm extra surprised that someone who has played a high level thinks this way.
:goodpost:
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29548
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Beauner » Sat Jan 30 1:01 pm

hrbekroenick wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:51 am
Steve MN wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:38 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:37 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
His primary argument was something along the lines of "you're not supposed to wind up a slapshot when there's a guy in front of you" apparently.
Ummmm... yeah... not so much.
Most good powerplays revolve around getting a slapper, preferably from the off-wing. I'm a lefty with glacial speed, but I play the right wing for this reason. You're shooting from the middle of the ice, which is a quicker and better angle. Look at how many PP's revolve around the top of the umbrella, it's for this reason. To make better use of the time and space. Look at the winners of the hardest shot competition - most have been d-men. Going back to 1990ish, I think Fedorov and Ovechkin are the only forwards ( I know Feds played some D). Do you think Macinnis, Chara, Weber etc give a Frenchman's Fork about bodies being in front? It's about screens, traffic and getting pucks to the net.

If it's a fun skate with friends, a group with very mixed talent, or a league that is not over-competitive I could see it. This is the National League. I'm extra surprised that someone who has played a high level thinks this way.
Agreed. I was dumbfounded by his argument. But he also despises Dumba so I figured that was part of his argument.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 30 2:05 pm

If it is a no checking league for us oldtimers slappers are a no no. Having to go to work in the morning tends to keep things in "check".
It was a long time ago but Iwould remind every one that while a CPA / Attorney / Engineer could work in a cast that my 2 youngins have been used to shoes on their feet and milk on the table. Do something stupid and the carpenter would start to hammer things. :hammer:
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1590
Joined: Thu Apr 10 9:14 pm
Location: Lakeville, MN
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by MNNavy » Sat Jan 30 3:08 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:24 am
If they're worried about too much stick-work to the face as a result of people with full masks/cages, then, start calling more penalties, including more majors/misconducts, and suspensions.
That'll never work. It makes too much sense.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Jan 30 4:26 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 1:01 pm
hrbekroenick wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:51 am
Steve MN wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:38 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:37 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
His primary argument was something along the lines of "you're not supposed to wind up a slapshot when there's a guy in front of you" apparently.
Ummmm... yeah... not so much.
Most good powerplays revolve around getting a slapper, preferably from the off-wing. I'm a lefty with glacial speed, but I play the right wing for this reason. You're shooting from the middle of the ice, which is a quicker and better angle. Look at how many PP's revolve around the top of the umbrella, it's for this reason. To make better use of the time and space. Look at the winners of the hardest shot competition - most have been d-men. Going back to 1990ish, I think Fedorov and Ovechkin are the only forwards ( I know Feds played some D). Do you think Macinnis, Chara, Weber etc give a Frenchman's Fork about bodies being in front? It's about screens, traffic and getting pucks to the net.

If it's a fun skate with friends, a group with very mixed talent, or a league that is not over-competitive I could see it. This is the National League. I'm extra surprised that someone who has played a high level thinks this way.
Agreed. I was dumbfounded by his argument. But he also despises Dumba so I figured that was part of his argument.
Aaaand there it is...
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 30 6:31 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Jan 30 11:24 am
streakygopher wrote:
Sat Jan 30 10:19 am
Beauner wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:16 am
I had a buddy try to argue that Dumba should be fined or suspended for "breaking an unwritten rule" by taking that slapper.
He played higher level juniors and I didn't even play a second of organized hockey so I let him rant... but WTF unwritten rule says no slapshots when you're on a powerplay??
Did you ask him to define this "unwritten" rule? Slap shots are taken all the time, so I think he's talking out of his ass.

Now, the "unwritten" rule of wearing only a half face mask....that's a rule that should be talked about.
It's not an "unwritten" rule, it's very much written. As of the start of the 2013-14 season, any player that didn't have at least 25 games played in the NHL was required to have a visor on their helmet. The next sub-rule says that anyone with a facial injury can wear a full mask/protection devices. So, unless you've actually got a facial injury already, you can't wear a full mask. That's what needs to be changed. If they're worried about too much stick-work to the face as a result of people with full masks/cages, then, start calling more penalties, including more majors/misconducts, and suspensions.
I didn't realize a full mask was actually not allowed by rule. That is just stupidity.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 30 6:36 pm

By "The Code" before the eyeshields were mandatory if you kept your helmet on and if it had a shield you had sinned if you dropped the mitts before you took your helmet & shield off.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by HockeyBum » Sat Jan 30 7:32 pm

Avs have the worst uniforms in the league.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 30 8:26 pm

Bad unis but good team
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 30 8:29 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sat Jan 30 8:26 pm
Bad unis but good team
In the battle of which team is better and which uniform is worse, Avs definitely ahead of Minnesota. :wink:

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jan 30 8:52 pm

Not Good...

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7310
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 411 times
Age: 54

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jan 30 9:28 pm

Now it looks like Dumba may have blown out a knee or something....

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 30 10:02 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jan 30 9:28 pm
Now it looks like Dumba may have blown out a knee or something....
Groin pull would be my guess
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
hrbekroenick
Veteran
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Feb 11 4:18 pm
Location: Blaine
Has liked: 28 times
Contact:

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by hrbekroenick » Sat Jan 30 10:35 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sat Jan 30 2:05 pm
If it is a no checking league for us oldtimers slappers are a no no. Having to go to work in the morning tends to keep things in "check".
It was a long time ago but Iwould remind every one that while a CPA / Attorney / Engineer could work in a cast that my 2 youngins have been used to shoes on their feet and milk on the table. Do something stupid and the carpenter would start to hammer things. :hammer:
I'm with you there. I play HockeyFinder (more fun/casual) which is no slappers, and AHA which is no checking but slappers are allowed. I let a slapper go every once in a while if I'm clear, but I'm more likely to over-handle it being extra careful and my brain basically vapor locks because I don't want to be the one letting bombs go in a fun non-bomb league. I'll take a turnover in a fun league vs hurting someone.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by fightclub30 » Sat Jan 30 10:45 pm

The Wild threw far more hits 21-5, took many more PIMS 14-4, and had way more blocked shots 18-4... (Which means shot attempts were 51-24 :oops: )

I am only looking at a gamesheet, but is it safe to assume the Wild didn't dominate?

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14693
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Wild 2020-2021 Season

Post by streakygopher » Sat Jan 30 11:56 pm

Wild were never in the game tonight. Big difference between the Kings and the Avs and a good measure of the team.

Looks like they'll be golfing again.

Post Reply