High School Hockey 2020-21

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: High School Hockey 2020-21

Post by D2D » Sun Apr 04 8:36 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 04 5:52 pm
It really is not fair to the kids who grow up playing Eden Prairie hockey, you’re spot on. It just isn’t right for a public school to recruit and I’ll never understand why they do.
Wild guess, to win and get to the big dance?
And for the recruited player, more attention from college coaches?
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 439 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Apr 04 10:09 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun Apr 04 8:36 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
It really is not fair to the kids who grow up playing Eden Prairie hockey, you’re spot on. It just isn’t right for a public school to recruit and I’ll never understand why they do.
But why is it important to high school staff to win a state hockey tournament that you’re willing to crap on the very kids who grew up and played in the community you serve? With other people’s kids?

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Apr 04 11:09 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 04 10:09 pm
D2D wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
But why is it important to high school staff to win a state hockey tournament that you’re willing to crap on the very kids who grew up and played in the community you serve? With other people’s kids?
There isn’t a single team whose Squirt A team EXACTLY translates (7 years later) to their varsity team. EP added Langenbrunner from Cloquet & their starting goalie (from Hopkins) but evidently both were because of parents moving to EP. The core of this team...Mittelstadt, Blake, Bauchholder, Holt, Langfels., etc are all EP youth hockey program kids from an early age. They lost out to Maple Grove in AA Peewee & AA Bantams. And their seniors made it to the AA HS title game 3 years in a row & finally won! Along the way they eked out 3 OT wins to do so, it wasn’t easy, gotta respect their perseverance.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 422 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 05 2:00 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Apr 04 11:09 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 04 10:09 pm
D2D wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
There isn’t a single team whose Squirt A team EXACTLY translates (7 years later) to their varsity team. EP added Langenbrunner from Cloquet & their starting goalie (from Hopkins) but evidently both were because of parents moving to EP. The core of this team...Mittelstadt, Blake, Bauchholder, Holt, Langfels., etc are all EP youth hockey program kids from an early age. They lost out to Maple Grove in AA Peewee & AA Bantams. And their seniors made it to the AA HS title game 3 years in a row & finally won! Along the way they eked out 3 OT wins to do so, it wasn’t easy, gotta respect their perseverance.
Those are two huge adds I think there was 1 more? Plus how EP got Jackson Blake eligible is a mystery to me when hearing how often players in the same position were not afforded the same exception. And they already have if not the largest enrollment in the state Top 3. It's freaking gross and I have zero respect for those running things.
Currently under construction.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Orion » Mon Apr 05 7:21 am

Largest high schools in MN by enrollment just for the fun of it. I'd be curious to know just how much weight athletics have when deciding on a single high school versus splitting a district into two schools. There are advantages to both.

1) Wayzata 3406
2) Minnetonka 3280
3) Eden Prairie 2971
4) Blaine 2938
5) Champlin Park 2836
6) Stillwater 2785
7) Prior Lake 2761
8) Edina 2718
9) Shakopee 2605
10) Burnsville 2503

Lakeville South 1809

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Apr 05 8:58 am

Orion wrote:
Mon Apr 05 7:21 am
Largest high schools in MN by enrollment just for the fun of it. I'd be curious to know just how much weight athletics have when deciding on a single high school versus splitting a district into two schools. There are advantages to both.

1) Wayzata 3406
2) Minnetonka 3280
3) Eden Prairie 2971
4) Blaine 2938
5) Champlin Park 2836
6) Stillwater 2785
7) Prior Lake 2761
8) Edina 2718
9) Shakopee 2605
10) Burnsville 2503

Lakeville South 1809
That tracks pretty decently with sport performance, and communities who focus on hockey, like Edina and EP, benefit not only with big numbers of mites entering their programs, but also by their training and culture of turning out hockey players. Adding a few ringers from outside their program at some point along the way just adds a cherry on top of the sundae.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 05 10:07 am

Orion wrote:

1) Wayzata 3406
2) Minnetonka 3280
3) Eden Prairie 2971
4) Blaine 2938
5) Champlin Park 2836
6) Stillwater 2785
7) Prior Lake 2761
8) Edina 2718
9) Shakopee 2605
10) Burnsville 2503

Lakeville South 1809
Anoka Hennepin district has Anoka, Blaine, Andover, Champlin Park, and Coon Rapids High Schools. It's a Hugh Jass district. Many of these schools have expanded over the years as population has increased in the area. They just expanded Anoka, Blaine and Coon Rapids schools again recently after years of using temporary classrooms in trailers. And they've added schools twice (Champlin Park and Andover) in the last 30 years.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Apr 05 10:13 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 05 10:07 am
Orion wrote:

1) Wayzata 3406
2) Minnetonka 3280
3) Eden Prairie 2971
4) Blaine 2938
5) Champlin Park 2836
6) Stillwater 2785
7) Prior Lake 2761
8) Edina 2718
9) Shakopee 2605
10) Burnsville 2503

Lakeville South 1809
Anoka Hennepin district has Anoka, Blaine, Andover, Champlin Park, and Coon Rapids High Schools. It's a Hugh Jass district. Many of these schools have expanded over the years as population has increased in the area. They just expanded Anoka, Blaine and Coon Rapids schools again recently after years of using temporary classrooms in trailers. And they've added schools twice (Champlin Park and Andover) in the last 30 years.
Yeah CR and Anoka used to be on this list annually, but when Andover finally went up they wind up outside the top ten.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 05 10:33 am

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Apr 05 10:13 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 05 10:07 am
Orion wrote:

1) Wayzata 3406
2) Minnetonka 3280
3) Eden Prairie 2971
4) Blaine 2938
5) Champlin Park 2836
6) Stillwater 2785
7) Prior Lake 2761
8) Edina 2718
9) Shakopee 2605
10) Burnsville 2503

Lakeville South 1809
Yeah CR and Anoka used to be on this list annually, but when Andover finally went up they wind up outside the top ten.
Still plenty of room to grow build in Blaine and Ham lake too so Blaine could continue to go up.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Apr 05 11:09 am

Little late to the discussion about Gentry but I will throw out my take.

Tiggsy Jr.'s school still has a co-op agreement in place with Gentry. So it's not all outstate recruits. There are at least a couple small school players like Jr. that wants to get his shot who's school doesn't have a team. He went to tryouts this year as a freshman but told the coaches early on that he knew he was a long shot even for JV. They seem to respect that. I got him into Gentry's summer program so we will see what happens when next year's tryouts come along. The coaches were very nice to both me and him through this. I have assurances from our AD and Gentry that my kid will get his shot to play next year. So we will see what happens.

The argument is exactly the same every year about private schools. Yes Gentry was built so the founders' kids had a place to play. Yet no one seems to mind that one of the top players who attended Gentry will be a Gopher next year. True he didn't play for the high school team, but did play for Gentry on their national AAA team before the varsity program kicked off.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 05 11:49 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Mon Apr 05 11:09 am

Tiggsy Jr.'s school still has a co-op agreement in place with Gentry. So it's not all outstate recruits. There are at least a couple small school players like Jr. that wants to get his shot who's school doesn't have a team. He went to tryouts this year as a freshman but told the coaches early on that he knew he was a long shot even for JV. They seem to respect that. I got him into Gentry's summer program so we will see what happens when next year's tryouts come along. The coaches were very nice to both me and him through this. I have assurances from our AD and Gentry that my kid will get his shot to play next year. So we will see what happens.

The argument is exactly the same every year about private schools. Yes Gentry was built so the founders' kids had a place to play. Yet no one seems to mind that one of the top players who attended Gentry will be a Gopher next year. True he didn't play for the high school team, but did play for Gentry on their national AAA team before the varsity program kicked off.
Lucius attending Gentry was not significantly different than him playing USHL or Tier 1 hockey (Honey Baked Ham or Little Caesars) other than getting out of school early to practice with his hand picked former D1/pro coaches and skating/strength coaches.

But USHL and Tier 1 teams don't compete for MN State High School tournaments. Gentry seems to be acting like a Tier 1 team while adding on the absolute minimum schooling to be allowed into the MSHSL. It's sketchy.

I am still trying to figure out what this school is. It is referred to as a Charter School in MN Hockey Hub.

https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/1155980
"Gentry Academy, a charter school with an enrollment of about 100 high school-age students, has opted up to play at the Class 2A level next season."

And they have a Charter School Board
https://gentryacademy.com/board/

Yet they list a tuition of $14,900 per year on their website.
https://gentryacademy.com/tuition/#:~:t ... l%20charge.

So is it a charter school or a private school?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 05 12:16 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Mon Apr 05 11:09 am

I see no reason for anyone to care where a recruit played youth hockey and I don't see anyone finding fault with the kids.

Bert has some good observations/questions.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Apr 05 12:39 pm

Gentry Academy Named Among Top 20 Private Hockey Schools in U.S.A.
Posted on October 4, 2017
Gentry Academy was named a Top 20 Private Hockey School by YouTube author Culturama.

psomers

Post by psomers » Mon Apr 05 12:40 pm

But it's alright for a private school to recruit? And oh boy, do they. I'm witness to entire youth organizations getting pilfered of their top talent year after year. I'm not even from EP, but if "you can't beat 'em, join 'em." If private schools have a history of recruiting, the public school should not be criticized for doing so.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Mon Apr 05 1:28 pm

And the curriculum isnt balanced like public schools. They get how many hours of ice a day and iPad classes? Public schools have iPads too but the amount of time in class isn’t close to a public school with more class time. So it’s a charter hockey school, not something a public school would ever offer. I don’t see Gentry as apples to apples with public schools so they don’t belong in the MSHSL. I don’t see a comparison to other privates like Breck, Blake, Benild, Providence, Cretin, Holy Angels. These are college prep. Gentry’s not even close and shouldn’t be brought up in the same group.
Just checked their web site and they also have Lacrosse and baseball. It’s a specialty school I guess, still don’t think it belongs in MSHSL.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 05 2:12 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Mon Apr 05 12:39 pm
Gentry Academy Named Among Top 20 Private Hockey Schools in U.S.A.
Posted on October 4, 2017
Gentry Academy was named a Top 20 Private Hockey School by YouTube author Culturama.
This may no longer be accurate.

At the start of the school year several students from our area applied to Gentry (middle school) as Gentry was not planning to stay in class rather than follow hybrid or distance learning. I was surprised so many were willing to pay, only to be told Gentry recently became a charter school and there was no tuition so long as the student didn't play on one of their sports teams.....

JUST what I heard through the grapevine at the time and there is nothing on the Gentry website to confirm, other than they have a charter school board.

If this is accurate it is a very strange set up.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Apr 05 2:51 pm

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1156150

The comings and goings section ~1:29 from these guys always delivers as they're more plugged into youth hockey than anyone.

USNTDP Consideration

Oliver Moore TG
Austin Burnevik TG
Gracyn Sawchyn SSM
Will Whitelaw SSM
Jayson Shaugabay Warroad
Beckett Hendrickson - Minnetonka
Ty Hanson Hermantown
Drew Stewart BSM
Danny Nelson MG
Ashton Dahms LS

The size and role option discussion should be relevant for each decisions for USNTDP. Not a great place to go be a fourth line or third pair player if you currently have a decent home to play and be a go to player.

USHL/NAHL Consideration

Trey Ausmus EGF
Jackson Blake EP
Alex Bump PL
Thor Byfuglien Roseau
Jimmy Clark Edina
AJ Carls Centennial
Ben Dardis Mahtomedi
Trey Fechko Edina
Drew Fisher Cretin
Jake Fisher Cretin
Dylan Godbout HM
Barrett Hall Gentry
Reed Kluender SSP
Brody Lamb Dodge
Tanner Ludtke LS
Adam Marshall BSM
Connor McClure Denfeld
Gavin O'Connell Wayzata
Zam Plante Hermantown
Sam Rice PL
Tristan Sarsland BSM
Will Schumacher PL
Jake Sondreal Cretin
Max Strand Roseau
Gavyn Thoreson Andover
Simon Houge Cretin

Also... fun thread on Gentry here too: http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38219&start=100#p756317

I still have no idea how the school lands as private, public, charter, etc. It's very confusing to an outsider.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 475 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Apr 05 5:09 pm

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Tue Apr 06 2:12 pm

ex_goldy wrote:
Mon Apr 05 1:28 pm
And the curriculum isnt balanced like public schools. They get how many hours of ice a day and iPad classes? Public schools have iPads too but the amount of time in class isn’t close to a public school with more class time. So it’s a charter hockey school, not something a public school would ever offer. I don’t see Gentry as apples to apples with public schools so they don’t belong in the MSHSL. I don’t see a comparison to other privates like Breck, Blake, Benild, Providence, Cretin, Holy Angels. These are college prep. Gentry’s not even close and shouldn’t be brought up in the same group.
Just checked their web site and they also have Lacrosse and baseball. It’s a specialty school I guess, still don’t think it belongs in MSHSL.
You may be right about the college prep but where can that line be drawn? It gets a little fuzzy. But I do know that during school hours they only get 1 class period of ice time. So that's maybe 1-1.25 hours. Ice time is their gym class. I heard an interesting discussion about if they didn't have to wear masks on the ice during that time among the coaches. Nothing came of it but it was interesting one wanted to take a shot and make the argument. Don't know about the ipads.

I didn't realize it went charter. My kid is not looking forward to the fact that since he's a co-op kid he would be an outsider of the group. But he did say they were a decent group of kids and he was excited watching them in the tourney because he made a few connections during his tryout.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 06 2:19 pm

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 06 2:40 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Apr 06 2:19 pm
It's been a bad week for Hill Murray. :lol:

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Apr 06 2:50 pm

I will point out that those leaks are not official and nobody has confirmed their accuracy. I don't have any inside information on them and nobody I know is yet talking.

Sections are scheduled to be approved by the MSHSL board on April 15th, so we should find out for real in about a week and a half.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Apr 06 3:41 pm

Interesting if accurate. Wasn't armstrong class A?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 06 4:15 pm

If that is how they roll, 1AA remains a joke and 6AA just got ridiculous.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 06 4:20 pm

6AA is no joke.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Apr 06 4:24 pm

Man, and I thought this might have been Saint Louis Park's year.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Apr 06 4:28 pm

So Northfield drops out of 1AA? down to single A?
I was under the impression two of the Rochester Schools were close to making a co-op, or one of them dropping to single A altogether...

New Prague drops out of 2AA? Down to single A as well?

Tartan moving back into AA in 4AA.

Sartell a new team in 8AA.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Apr 06 5:02 pm

Maple Grove would seem to be better suited in 7AA or the Blaine section. Grouping them in Edina makes that section an absolute dog fight.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Jaykay3
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jaykay3 » Tue Apr 06 5:05 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:02 pm
Maple Grove would seem to be better suited in 7AA or the Blaine section. Grouping them in Edina makes that section an absolute dog fight.
MG should absolutely stay in 5AA to keep that one from being a laughing stock.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Apr 06 5:22 pm

What criteria they do they use for sections? Geographical proximity, competitive balance, or something else?

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Apr 06 5:36 pm

Orion wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:22 pm
What criteria they do they use for sections? Geographical proximity, competitive balance, or something else?
Geography a big criteria, trying to keep a relative even number of teams in each section. There is a loose attempt at competitive balance, but not really.

It is something like every 2 years they "tweak" it, and every 4 years they start over from scratch. Or something like that, I cannot recall for certain.

6 and 2 have been loaded for several years.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Apr 06 9:26 pm

Orion wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:22 pm
Classes are set as follows:

1st, all opt-ups.
2nd, remaining schools/cooperatives by enrollment such that 64 schools are in AA.
3rd, all remaining schools are Class A.

Sections are then set geographically. The theory behind the geography is that schools should not be traveling past another school to get to section opponents. It is map driven, but it is entirely where/how you draw the circles.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Apr 06 11:34 pm

Section 5 used to be the Bloomington section for all those years in the 80’s and 90’s when either Kennedy or Jefferson came out of it.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Apr 07 1:08 am

Jaykay3 wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:05 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
Agree 100%! Section 6AA was already loaded, now it’s absolutely ridiculous with MG being added. The last time 5AA had 4 teams capable of advancing to State was 2016 with Anoka, Blaine, Centennial & Maple Grove. In 2022 there will only be 2 teams. Blaine & Centennial, which makes no sense. The MSHSL sadly hasn’t ever understood the sport of Hockey as an organization to nearly the same extent as does the youth hockey organization MN Hockey, and this decision to move MG from 5AA to 6AA reflects that.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Apr 07 5:56 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Apr 07 1:08 am
Jaykay3 wrote:
Tue Apr 06 5:05 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
Agree 100%! Section 6AA was already loaded, now it’s absolutely ridiculous with MG being added. The last time 5AA had 4 teams capable of advancing to State was 2016 with Anoka, Blaine, Centennial & Maple Grove. In 2022 there will only be 2 teams. Blaine & Centennial, which makes no sense. The MSHSL sadly hasn’t ever understood the sport of Hockey as an organization to nearly the same extent as does the youth hockey organization MN Hockey, and this decision to move MG from 5AA to 6AA reflects that.
Blaine looks to have a couple rough years in its immediate future. Centennial will be in the state tourney unless Burnevik stays at Totino and the Eagles take the section.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 09 10:39 am

Lee Smith posted EP's schedule next year in the Minnesota High School & College Hockey Talk group on FB and I asked if it was too soon to know how many transfers were coming in next year. I saw a notification that he replied, but before I could read it ad admin removed my comment. :chainsaw: :lol: :mrgreen:

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Apr 09 3:55 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 09 10:39 am
Lee Smith posted EP's schedule next year in the Minnesota High School & College Hockey Talk group on FB and I asked if it was too soon to know how many transfers were coming in next year. I saw a notification that he replied, but before I could read it ad admin removed my comment. :chainsaw: :lol: :mrgreen:
How many did they have this past year?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 09 4:39 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Apr 09 3:55 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
2 plus how they were able to add Blake under what I read as sketchy circumstances.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Fri Apr 09 6:42 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 09 4:39 pm
team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
2 plus how they were able to add Blake under what I read as sketchy circumstances.
Who were the two transfers? What were the "sketchy circumstances" surrounding Blake and where was it you read about that?

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Apr 09 8:52 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Fri Apr 09 6:42 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Who were the two transfers? What were the "sketchy circumstances" surrounding Blake and where was it you read about that?
Jackson Blake started his 9th grade season at Shattuck (AAA) before transferring back to EP mid season in January of 2019. He started immediately on the EP Bantam AA team, midseason, which "broke rules" because he transferred after the date rosters must be finalized per MN Hockey. Then he started the next varsity season on time, rather than sitting out the one calendar year per MSHSL rules. As he moved (dorms at SSM) and his family did not. So there was an argument that he didn't play varsity hockey, so he shouldn't have to sit, he was only a freshman... even though he was on Shattuck's top team, etc. etc.

That one doesn't bother me, he transferred back to EP, his hometown after playing youth hockey there. So a 14-15 year old kid decides to try something else and changes his mind? Why should he be punished. There are previous examples of kids transferring back to their HS after partial time at Shattuck and having to sit out. He however, did not. A kid from Elk River 2-3 seasons ago whose name is escaping me at the moment, but there was some hub-ub about it.

I don't know all the specifics, but that's what it boils down to largely.

Langenbrunner was a transfer. His Dad got a promotion from the Bruins and needed to move closer to MSP. His Dad had already been high up in their scouting for a few years and was already travelling a lot. I think a symbolic promotion was given to try and help them save face with CEC hockey. There were lots of rumors that he was one of the people who assisted getting the long time CEC coach run out of town more or less. Then when he didn't have enough say in who was hired left. ALL RUMORS of course, but that's what people are saying.

There is another player who transferred in as a 2nd year Bantam, not sure of the name.

Last season Steeves was a transfer from New Hampshire.

EP is far from the only one, but it just seems like EVERY season EP has 2 transfers on their team. Minnetonka will get one here or there, Wayzata, Edina, etc. It just seems like EP gets a lot of transfers, Jensen from Edina a few years ago was another high profile one.

Lots of big name goalies have been transfers recently:
STA Tommy Aitken (Massachusetts)
STA David Zevnik (Wisco)
HM Remmington Keopple (Wisco)
Edina Louden Hogg (Wyoming)
And of course all the private schools are usually transfers as most, if not all, lack youth programs while a few have bantam teams (like BSM).
Jared Moe was a New Prague goalie who went to Holy Family.
Huber from Mhatomedi to Holy Family
Howe from Minnetonka to Totino Grace

Minnetonka got Mack Motzko, did people freak out about that?

Transfers happen. Some teams they just seem to happen more regularly with. Lakeville North had several nearby transfers (including goalie) leading up to their undefeated state championship team.

I think that's why it sticks more with EP, is they seem to have a transfer in a significant role nearly every season, or seemingly every season anyway.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sat Apr 10 8:07 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:52 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
Fri Apr 09 6:42 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Jackson Blake started his 9th grade season at Shattuck (AAA) before transferring back to EP mid season in January of 2019. He started immediately on the EP Bantam AA team, midseason, which "broke rules" because he transferred after the date rosters must be finalized per MN Hockey. Then he started the next varsity season on time, rather than sitting out the one calendar year per MSHSL rules. As he moved (dorms at SSM) and his family did not. So there was an argument that he didn't play varsity hockey, so he shouldn't have to sit, he was only a freshman... even though he was on Shattuck's top team, etc. etc.

That one doesn't bother me, he transferred back to EP, his hometown after playing youth hockey there. So a 14-15 year old kid decides to try something else and changes his mind? Why should he be punished. There are previous examples of kids transferring back to their HS after partial time at Shattuck and having to sit out. He however, did not. A kid from Elk River 2-3 seasons ago whose name is escaping me at the moment, but there was some hub-ub about it.

I don't know all the specifics, but that's what it boils down to largely.

Langenbrunner was a transfer. His Dad got a promotion from the Bruins and needed to move closer to MSP. His Dad had already been high up in their scouting for a few years and was already travelling a lot. I think a symbolic promotion was given to try and help them save face with CEC hockey. There were lots of rumors that he was one of the people who assisted getting the long time CEC coach run out of town more or less. Then when he didn't have enough say in who was hired left. ALL RUMORS of course, but that's what people are saying.

There is another player who transferred in as a 2nd year Bantam, not sure of the name.

Last season Steeves was a transfer from New Hampshire.

EP is far from the only one, but it just seems like EVERY season EP has 2 transfers on their team. Minnetonka will get one here or there, Wayzata, Edina, etc. It just seems like EP gets a lot of transfers, Jensen from Edina a few years ago was another high profile one.

Lots of big name goalies have been transfers recently:
STA Tommy Aitken (Massachusetts)
STA David Zevnik (Wisco)
HM Remmington Keopple (Wisco)
Edina Louden Hogg (Wyoming)
And of course all the private schools are usually transfers as most, if not all, lack youth programs while a few have bantam teams (like BSM).
Huber from Mhatomedi to Holy Family
Howe from Minnetonka to Totino Grace

Minnetonka got Mack Motzko, did people freak out about that?

Transfers happen. Some teams they just seem to happen more regularly with. Lakeville North had several nearby transfers (including goalie) leading up to their undefeated state championship team.

I think that's why it sticks more with EP, is they seem to have a transfer in a significant role nearly every season, or seemingly every season anyway.
Thanks for the rundown. Good explanations.

psomers

Post by psomers » Sat Apr 10 8:26 am

I’m just not sure why there is such the stink about EP and transfers. I’m not from EP and have no emotional connection to them, but why the outcry? If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. With the way private schools recruit, and boy do they, are public schools just supposed to sit on the sidelines and try to compete? 5 OT is correct in saying, it’s not just EP doing this.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Laxref » Sat Apr 10 9:19 am

Holy Family coach resigned after 12 years, had some decent teams, tough section, that school could be a budding power.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 10 9:42 am

nm

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 16 11:01 am

I didn't dig in a whole lot further, but Maple Grove stays in 5AA & Cretin moves to 3AA with St. Thomas.

[edit]

This was posted in the girls forum so some of these moves might be dissimilar from the boys side:

Lakeville North 3AA --> 1AA
Mound Westonka 2A --> 2AA
Cretin Derham Hall 6AA --> 3AA
Mahtomedi 4A --> 4AA
North St Paul 4A --> 4AA
Gentry Academy 5A --> 4AA
Irondale/St Anthony 4AA --> 5AA
Mounds View 4AA --> 5AA
Osseo/Park Center 6AA --> 5AA
North Wright Co. 7AA --> 5AA
Armstrong/Cooper 5A --> 6AA
Holy Angels 5A --> 6AA
Anoka/SLP 5AA --> 7AA
Blaine 5AA --> 7AA

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Apr 16 2:28 pm

3AA needed some beefing up. CDH moving makes sense.

Glad to see Maple Grove wasn’t put in the Edina Section. Maybe somewhat surprised Blaine was put in the Andover/DE section.

Boston Apologist

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Apr 16 2:37 pm

Blaine to 7 is odd... Maybe until Hermantown mans up. Gentry is up. Mahtomedi is apparently up. It's time, ladies.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Jaykay3
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jaykay3 » Fri Apr 16 2:47 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 16 2:37 pm
Blaine to 7 is odd... Maybe until Hermantown mans up. Gentry is up. Mahtomedi is apparently up. It's time, ladies.
Mahtomedi is still in 4A, for boys anyways.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Apr 16 3:13 pm

Under MSHSL rules, transfers corresponding with a family move do not require sitting out a season. So a Langenbrenner moving from Cloquet to EP as a family is not a concerning transfer to me.

MSHSL rules also allow students entering 9th grade to pick which school they are going to, even if the student played varsity at the 8th grade level. So that wouldn't require sitting out a year either.

As to this one:
fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:52 pm

Jared went to Holy Family as a 9th grader despite playing some in the New Prague youth program. There were no issues with him going to HF under transfer rules. While we wish he would have stayed, it obviously worked out well for him, and we are proud of him being from our program (present circumstances on his most recent college choice excepted).

In other news, New Prague goes from 2AA (Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, HF, Chaska, Prior Lake, etc.) to Section 1A (Northfield, Faribault, Lourdes, etc.). We are :dance: at an excellent opportunity.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Maize » Fri Apr 16 6:46 pm

There's a political component to this, I'm sure, which would keep it from ever happening, but I'd make 8AA the northern section and 7AA the near west section:

8AA: Bemidji, Brainerd, Cloquet, Duluth East, Duluth Marshall, Grand Rapids, Moorhead, Roseau
7AA: Buffalo, Elk River, Maple Grove, Osseo, Rogers, St. Cloud, STMA, Sartell
5AA: Andover, Anoka, Blaine, Centennial, Coon Rapids, Irondale, Mounds View, Spring Lake Park, Totino-Grace

The rest are fine as they are.

That more or less gives 2-3 strong teams per year in each section and cuts down on travel significantly. Only one northern out-state would make the tourney every year, but under the current set-up, there are going to be many years with none, especially if STMA gets it together. Bemidji would probably have to host 8AA since it's centrally-located, and I'm sure some people wouldn't want to give up the big money they make at Amsoil. I doubt it ever happens, but that is what makes the most sense to me.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Chris83 » Tue Apr 20 9:58 am

Jefferson girls head coach dead after altercation. Jeezus. :shock:
https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/19/c ... ent=manual
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 20 10:27 am

Chris83 wrote:
Tue Apr 20 9:58 am
Just came to post. Really sad.

A very good college friend of mine was kicked in the chest standing in line to get into Gluek's way back in the day. It was slippery, he fell backwards, his head struck the pavement with no bracing and died a few days later.

I've stressed to my kids many times if you ever have to defend yourself do what you think you must if you don't have an out, but otherwise there are far too many cons to physical altercations to justify them. Stay away as much as possible even if it means putting away your man card and especially while drinking, and/or encountering road rage.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1004 times
Been liked: 629 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Apr 20 10:41 am

YE was over yesterday and this exact discussion came up. Was glad to hear him say he was in the let's avoid camp.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Apr 20 10:46 am

Chris83 wrote:
I went to Jr High & HS with Mike... Graduated with him in 1991. A great guy... :ashamed:

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Apr 20 10:55 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Apr 20 10:41 am
YE was over yesterday and this exact discussion came up. Was glad to hear him say he was in the let's avoid camp.
Run Forrest run :lol:

Boston Apologist

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Apr 20 10:57 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 20 10:27 am
Chris83 wrote:
Just came to post. Really sad.

A very good college friend of mine was kicked in the chest standing in line to get into Gluek's way back in the day. It was slippery, he fell backwards, his head struck the pavement with no bracing and died a few days later.

I've stressed to my kids many times if you ever have to defend yourself do what you think you must if you don't have an out, but otherwise there are far too many cons to physical altercations to justify them. Stay away as much as possible even if it means putting away your man card and especially while drinking, and/or encountering road rage.
Amazing how situations can turn in an instant. Cannot tell you how many bar fights get posted on social media. It’s always best to avoid conflict because you never know what can happen. I feel awful for Ryan’s family and the Bloomington hockey community.

Boston Apologist

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 23 9:24 am

Image was too large so share, but per FB the LS hockey coach (Janne Kivihalme) stepped down immediately and reports are it was not voluntary. No other info and I am not sure if he's the boys or girls coach.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Apr 23 9:32 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 23 9:24 am
Image was too large so share, but per FB the LS hockey coach (Janne Kivihalme) stepped down immediately and reports are it was not voluntary. No other info and I am not sure if he's the boys or girls coach.
Wow. Some of the tweets seem to indicate it's related to open enrollment. Not sure if it's incoming or outgoing.
Will be interesting to follow....

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 23 9:52 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Apr 23 9:32 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Wow. Some of the tweets seem to indicate it's related to open enrollment. Not sure if it's incoming or outgoing.

:popcorn:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 23 9:55 am

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 23 10:05 am

I won't say it. :mrgreen:

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by skiier32 » Fri Apr 23 10:06 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

It's the ones already there. 5 kids on the team are from Farmington. All open enrolled to start high school there. Most played Bantams their first year. They all made varsity their sophomore year. 5 kids' parents on JV made a stink about it and got him run out.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by skiier32 » Fri Apr 23 10:09 am

skiier32 wrote:
Fri Apr 23 10:06 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

It's the ones already there. 5 kids on the team are from Farmington. All open enrolled to start high school there. Most played Bantams their first year. They all made varsity their sophomore year. 5 kids' parents on JV made a stink about it and got him run out.
I will also add this - the 5 from Farmington played with a lot of the South kids in the summer. They all decided to play together for South with their friends. Janne did not recruit them, him being there did influence their decision to go there though.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 23 10:25 am

skiier32 wrote:
Fri Apr 23 10:09 am
skiier32 wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

I will also add this - the 5 from Farmington played with a lot of the South kids in the summer. They all decided to play together for South with their friends. Janne did not recruit them, him being there did influence their decision to go there though.
Then why did he get asked to leave? Seems silly if he is just playing the kids that happened to attend the school organically.

Some hurt feelings in Lakeville. And also likely Farmington. Farmington seems to have a decent youth program going lately. Hopefully it isn't a thing to bolt for other schools.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Apr 23 10:31 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 23 10:25 am
skiier32 wrote:
Fri Apr 23 10:09 am
skiier32 wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Then why did he get asked to leave? Seems silly if he is just playing the kids that happened to attend the school organically.

Some hurt feelings in Lakeville. And also likely Farmington. Farmington seems to have a decent youth program going lately. Hopefully it isn't a thing to bolt for other schools.
Has been for awhile. I believe the Lakeville North undefeated team had 2-3 Farmington Youth, and 1 Rosemount Youth player on that team who played summer AAA hockey together.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 23 11:17 am

This tweet from Brandon Mileski last month was foreshadowing.

The replies are showing some anger.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri May 14 12:58 pm

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 14 9:23 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri May 14 12:58 pm
Nice!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jun 01 8:37 pm

Huge high school hockey news from up north.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jun 02 5:02 am

Former NHLer Matt Cooke hired as the HC at Chaska.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 02 7:32 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Jun 01 8:37 pm

Whoa.....! :shock:

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Jun 02 7:45 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 02 7:32 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Jun 01 8:37 pm

Whoa.....! :shock:
From the article “ While refusing comment, Randolph implied his side of the story would come out at a Friday morning news conference at the Heritage Center.” Regardless, he had one hell of a run at Duluth East, 2 titles, 6 runner-ups, coached 33 of the past 34 years, 18 state tourney appearances. Never thought when they beat Anoka in 1998 it would be his/their last state title. Shows how difficult it is to simply advance to AA state tourney, let alone win it.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Jun 02 11:53 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Jun 02 5:02 am
Expect a "chippy" team...

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 02 12:39 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Where are you seeing this? Having a tough time locating it.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Jun 02 1:08 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 02 12:39 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Where are you seeing this? Having a tough time locating it.
https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... ow/1167146

Quick google of "Matt Cooke Chaska" found that.