Gopher Basketball 2020-2021

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Gopher Basketball 2020-2021

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Feb 17 8:33 pm

Sounds like Gabe is done indefinitely with a broken hand

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 17 9:07 pm

Good first half for Minnesota. Leading 37-35.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Feb 17 9:13 pm

Hoosier basketball has essentially become Husker football, ancient relics but still oh so sweet to beat, let’s get it!

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Feb 17 10:07 pm

And boom goes the dynamite. Held tough for a while, but just can't play in crunch time on the road.

I saw a stat that the Gopher have finished above .500 in the Big Ten twice in the last 20 years. With a loss tonight, they will need to run the table to get there this year.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Wed Feb 17 10:22 pm

This team is absolutely maddening. They’re going to have one of the best records against the top 25, but go winless on the road losing some real head scratchers and not make the tourney. It’s time for a change. 8 years is enough.
JWG :M:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 17 10:26 pm

Indiana makes 58% from the floor and 58% from 3pt range. Frustrating to see them absolutely make everything they throw at the hoop in the second half.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Kelor » Wed Feb 17 10:28 pm

I can't think of another organization that is so satisfied with mediocrity. I predict another Pitino extension if we win one game in the NIt.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Feb 17 10:29 pm

If this team is a first round NCAA exit or misses, time for Pitino to go. He’s had plenty of time.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 17 10:37 pm

JWG wrote:
Wed Feb 17 10:22 pm
This team is absolutely maddening. They’re going to have one of the best records against the top 25, but go winless on the road losing some real head scratchers and not make the tourney. It’s time for a change. 8 years is enough.
They'll make the tournament if they win 3 of their last 4 (or 4 of 5 if they make up the Nebraska game). If they beat Illinois next week they'll almost be a lock unless that's the last game they win. A win over Illinois would give them two wins over probable #1 seeds and a win over a probable #2 seed.

You gotta remember the Big Ten can feasibly get 10 teams in depending on how Maryland finishes. The ACC is down this year and may only get 6 teams in as opposed to their usual 7-8-9.

They need to get more out of Robbins though.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Feb 17 10:37 pm

JWG wrote:
Wed Feb 17 10:29 pm
If this team is a first round NCAA exit or misses, time for Pitino to go. He’s had plenty of time.
And replace him with who?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 17 10:43 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Feb 17 10:37 pm
JWG wrote:
I'd love to say let him go... but you certainly ask the right question. Who's the replacement?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Feb 17 10:44 pm

Beauner wrote:
JWG wrote:
I’m not verse in the college bball world. I saw the former Michigan coach was the color commentary for our game vs Maryland. Any chance we can convince him to take a step down from announcing?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 18 7:23 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Feb 17 10:44 pm
Beauner wrote:
JWG wrote:
I’m not verse in the college bball world. I saw the former Michigan coach was the color commentary for our game vs Maryland. Any chance we can convince him to take a step down from announcing?
He's already 68 years old. I don't see him wanting to take a new head coaching job again.

The other problem with firing a coach right now? The AD lost significant money this year with all the COVID restrictions and wasn't exactly flush with cash before. They've already cut multiple sports to try to save money. Firing a coach who makes the NCAA tournament in half his seasons (not all that common here) and paying a buyout when the AD is losing significant money, then paying a bunch of money to try to upgrade on him, won't look great.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 18 9:02 am

Beauner wrote:
Thu Feb 18 7:23 am
Snowcool08 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
JWG wrote:
He's already 68 years old. I don't see him wanting to take a new head coaching job again.

The other problem with firing a coach right now? The AD lost significant money this year with all the COVID restrictions and wasn't exactly flush with cash before. They've already cut multiple sports to try to save money. Firing a coach who makes the NCAA tournament in half his seasons (not all that common here) and paying a buyout when the AD is losing significant money, then paying a bunch of money to try to upgrade on him, won't look great.
He's made the NCAA tournament twice, 2017 and 2019. His is 1-2 in the NCAA tournament. He's made the NIT once (which they did win) - in his first season so we can have the "whose recruits" debate. He's made "a" tournament in 3 of 7 seasons. Maybe they get into one this year, though their NCAA chances are fading away as quickly as a 2nd half lead on the road. They have one season with a winning record in the B1G (2016-17). They won't have a winning record in the conference this year even with their 5 top 25 wins.

Maybe he gets another year because of pandemic finances, but something is wrong with the team. You can't both have the talent and capability to beat 5 top 25 teams but then have no ability to beat the bottom of the B1G on the road. I really like Pitino, I don't have a beef with him, but after 8 seasons you just can't be ok with being a top half team two of those. They're currently 10th in conference with 4 games left. With games against Illinois and PSU on the road, it feels like 2-2 is the best we can hope for (wins of Rutgers and NU at home). That leaves them probably right around 9th/10th in conference yet again.

I don't follow basketball closely enough to know who could/would replace him but we haven't maintained Tubby levels even though on paper some of these teams should have been better.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 18 9:43 am

JWG wrote:
Thu Feb 18 9:02 am
Beauner wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
JWG wrote:

He's made the NCAA tournament twice, 2017 and 2019. His is 1-2 in the NCAA tournament. He's made the NIT once (which they did win) - in his first season so we can have the "whose recruits" debate. He's made "a" tournament in 3 of 7 seasons. Maybe they get into one this year, though their NCAA chances are fading away as quickly as a 2nd half lead on the road. They have one season with a winning record in the B1G (2016-17). They won't have a winning record in the conference this year even with their 5 top 25 wins.

Maybe he gets another year because of pandemic finances, but something is wrong with the team. You can't both have the talent and capability to beat 5 top 25 teams but then have no ability to beat the bottom of the B1G on the road. I really like Pitino, I don't have a beef with him, but after 8 seasons you just can't be ok with being a top half team two of those. They're currently 10th in conference with 4 games left. With games against Illinois and PSU on the road, it feels like 2-2 is the best we can hope for (wins of Rutgers and NU at home). That leaves them probably right around 9th/10th in conference yet again.

I don't follow basketball closely enough to know who could/would replace him but we haven't maintained Tubby levels even though on paper some of these teams should have been better.
Illinois game is at home. Only road game left is @ Penn State. And Nebraska, if they make it up (not sure if they plan to, I doubt it).

Most projections I've seen have them as a 10 seed for the NCAA tournament. If they beat Illinois (going to be very difficult if they don't have Gabe back in some capacity, if for no other reason than he seems to be our best defensive guard lately), they'll have a legitimate chance to finish above .500 in by far the best conference in the country. Their last 3 games (@ PSU, home vs Rutgers and home vs Northwestern) are winnable even though Rutgers has been very good this season.

FWIW, Tubby only made the tournament in 3/6 years. He also had some mindbogglingly terrible game management decisions snd coaching decisions (and generally an abysmal offensive gameplan that would routinely get entirely decimated by a zone defense). His program didn't really have a vision or direction. Couple that with his suspect in-game coaching and weird recruiting choices and that's why he got axed.

Pitino has flaws. There's no doubt. But the team is generally trending in the right direction and has been getting more high end players here with him than they ever had with Tubby. Two years in a row we sent a player to the NBA. When was the last time that happened here?

I wish Omersa hadn't opted out (I understand why he did) because our front court depth just isn't very good, especially with Robbins being so foul-prone and now also banged up. Curry has been OK in his limited minutes but Omersa would habe been a big boost to the post.

Both Gach forgetting how to play basketball all of a sudden has been really killer for this team too, IMO. He looked like a great fit early in the season and his game has just fallen apart since.
Last edited by Beauner on Thu Feb 18 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Feb 18 10:01 am

Beauner wrote:
Just one perspective on this... Mark Coyle didn'treset the buyout terms for Pitino on his last contract. Norwood Teague setup his MBB coach with an insanely high buyout north of $20M... but it's continued to decline the last couple year down to only a couple million. I don't think it's money that Coyle would want to tap into at this point and it would be difficult take action on this offseason, but... next year it gets down to basically nothing. He's definitely on thin ice.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 18 10:12 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Feb 18 10:01 am
Beauner wrote:
Just one perspective on this... Mark Coyle didn'treset the buyout terms for Pitino on his last contract. Norwood Teague setup his MBB coach with an insanely high buyout north of $20M... but it's continued to decline the last couple year down to only a couple million. I don't think it's money that Coyle would want to tap into at this point and it would be difficult take action on this offseason, but... next year it gets down to basically nothing. He's definitely on thin ice.
Agreed about the thin ice. I'd expect him to get axed after next season if the program isn't flying high. But with the loss of revenue the last year and a half to the point they already cut athletic programs, I don't envision Coyle firing him this season, especially if they make the tournament.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 18 10:27 am

I was surprised the axed Tubby after his best NCAA tournament (3rd round) and the team's best since (1997*) 1990.
Tubby didn't make "a" tournament in 1 of his seasons, otherwise had 3 NCAA and 2 NIT appearances.

Pitino has back-to-back seasons without "a" tournament appearance, which hadn't previously happened since 87-88. I don't know if something changed with the NIT but surprising to me that even post sanctions the team still had better post-season opportunity (first I'd looked at it).

Our B1G record has not improved - quality wins seemingly have (especially this season), but outside of 2016-17 this team has always been a 6-8 win team in the B1G. They're 6-9 right now, even if they go 3-1, they're 9-10 so they won't be at or above .500 again this season in conference. I don't see them beating Illinois (even though at home) or Penn State on the road. Whatever that road block is - I think it holds all season. I also think that hurts their tournament chances for the NCAA. Two more wins puts them at 15 wins overall, with 0 on the road I think they're clearly on the bubble. But it's an odd year and credit to them for the big wins they do have. Hard to believe they can have those wins and still be a 10th place team in conference with a losing overall conference record.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Maize » Fri Feb 19 3:00 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:

Beilein is very interested in coaching somewhere next season. But like Beauner said, he just turned 67, so who knows if a major program would be interested in a short-term rental.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Feb 19 3:16 pm

This might be a dumb question but shouldn't it be easier to win on the road when they're aren't fans in the stands. It seems to me it would be less intimidating.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Fri Feb 19 9:08 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Feb 19 3:16 pm
This might be a dumb question but shouldn't it be easier to win on the road when they're aren't fans in the stands. It seems to me it would be less intimidating.
In general, that has been the trend across sports this year that home field advantage means much less with no fans in the stands.

With Minnesota basketball, it's been pretty consistent under Pitino that they take a ton of bad shots--because they can't generate easy ones with their offense-- and have poor shooting efficiency, but scrape out a pretty efficient offense by not turning over the ball and getting to the free throw line a lot. And it's no big secret that in the Big Ten, it's much easier to get to the free throw line at home as opposed to away. At home this year, they're 17th nationally in free throw rate, on the road they rank 231st. I don't know if that entirely accounts for the difference between home and road, but it's a pretty significant factor.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Feb 19 9:36 pm

Maize wrote:
Fri Feb 19 9:08 pm
Zwak wrote:
Fri Feb 19 3:16 pm
In general, that has been the trend across sports this year that home field advantage means much less with no fans in the stands.

With Minnesota basketball, it's been pretty consistent under Pitino that they take a ton of bad shots--because they can't generate easy ones with their offense-- and have poor shooting efficiency, but scrape out a pretty efficient offense by not turning over the ball and getting to the free throw line a lot. And it's no big secret that in the Big Ten, it's much easier to get to the free throw line at home as opposed to away. At home this year, they're 17th nationally in free throw rate, on the road they rank 231st. I don't know if that entirely accounts for the difference between home and road, but it's a pretty significant factor.
It seems like they settle for WAY more outside shots on the road than at home. Part of it may be because they're trying to make up ground and launch threes more, but still.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 19 11:43 pm

I can certainly see an actual physical "Home field/court/ice" advantage in college hockey with the varying rink sizes, and especially baseball where basically no two fields are the same. You get used to how the specific dimensions at Mariucci work with those deep corners, or the funky overhang at Target field. Every basketball court is the same (other than needing to climb up from the bench to the floor at Williams, but that doesn't effect the actual game). If it was just that they can't deal with opposing fans (that's pretty ridiculous at this level, but I can understand it in theory) why on earth can't this team handle road games this year?

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Feb 19 11:53 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Feb 19 11:43 pm
I can certainly see an actual physical "Home field/court/ice" advantage in college hockey with the varying rink sizes, and especially baseball where basically no two fields are the same. You get used to how the specific dimensions at Mariucci work with those deep corners, or the funky overhang at Target field. Every basketball court is the same (other than needing to climb up from the bench to the floor at Williams, but that doesn't effect the actual game). If it was just that they can't deal with opposing fans (that's pretty ridiculous at this level, but I can understand it in theory) why on earth can't this team handle road games this year?
I know optically when you're shooting, particularly in bigger arenas, it can throw off your depth perception in empty arenas. That may be a factor this year more than others because the arenas are completely empty? Whereas they can practice at empty Williams arena and get used to the visuals etc.
Otherwise I have no idea.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 12:05 am

There's also the factor that everyone they've played on the road is a likely NCAA tournament team with the possible exception of Maryland (they're currently projected as in).
@ current #1 seed Michigan
@ current #2 seeds Illinois and Iowa
@ current 5 seed Wisconsin
@ current 6 seed Purdue
@ current 7 seed Rutgers
@ current 10 seed Indiana
@ current 11 seed Maryland

(Based on ESPN Bracketology)

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 20 2:24 am

They are poorly coached. They rarely have what looks like an actual game plan on offense. How often do they refuse to play anywhere near the paint and jack-up ill-timed 3's even when they're not shooting 3's for s**t? It's exhausting how bad they are repeatedly in that respect.
Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:08 pm

Dosunmu for Illinois is so freaking good.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:32 pm

Gophers down 12 with 5 seconds left at half. Tre Williams lollipop lobs a pass to Carr, Frazier picks it off and launches a buzzer beating half court shot to make it a 15 point Illinois lead. Illinois finishes the had on like a 14-2 run.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Feb 20 3:36 pm

This is just a hot steaming mess.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:41 pm

Without Gabe to defend on the perimeter, opposing guards are eating us alive. Illinois guards have 31 first half points today.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 3:45 pm

Another Pitino standard. Fade down the stretch.
They’re doing what they do, just throwing balls up and hoping they land, but they don’t. And today, many are getting intercepted before they even get to the rim. It’s ridiculous. It’s so frustrating because they play below their capability. This may be the worst team to somehow beat multiple top 5 teams in a season. Still can’t believe they beat Michigan.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 3:51 pm

6-0 run to start the 2nd half for IL. 2 turnovers and a think of a three attempt. IL looks like the 97 Bulls out there.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:53 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Feb 20 3:45 pm
Another Pitino standard. Fade down the stretch.
They’re doing what they do, just throwing balls up and hoping they land, but they don’t. And today, many are getting intercepted before they even get to the rim. It’s ridiculous. It’s so frustrating because they play below their capability. This may be the worst team to somehow beat multiple top 5 teams in a season. Still can’t believe they beat Michigan.
They're shooting 43% from the field and 4/7 from 3 so I'm not sure today is the day to rip on the team's shooting.
Illinois is outrebounding them and taking full advantage of a hobbled Liam Robbins.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 3:55 pm

Well, I missed the first half of the first half, but their shooting in the 2nd part of the half was not those percentages. I saw them get 4 points.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:57 pm

Pitino pulls Robbins. Probably need to sit him the rest of the game. Illinois is turning this into a track meet and Robbins can't get down the court.
Couple very lazy passes from Tre Williams, couple forced plays, and Illinois making shots from everywhere on the court. This game is getting out of hand.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Feb 20 3:58 pm

Only down by 22 with, oops 21 with 15 something left

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 3:59 pm

Announcers talking about how Cockburn is having a great game as the replay shows him jabbing an elbow into a Gopher and pushing him back to get separation in the paint with no foul called. 🤣

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:01 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Feb 20 3:59 pm
Announcers talking about how Cockburn is having a great game as the replay shows him jabbing an elbow into a Gopher and pushing him back to get separation in the paint with no foul called. 🤣
I was just asking when the push off became legal.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:02 pm

4 IL players with double digit points.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:02 pm

11 Gopher turnovers.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:06 pm

And now Carr to the bench with 4 fouls with 13+ minutes left.
Goch, Mashburn Jr., and Tre Williams need to step up.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:07 pm

Just gave up the 6th dunk of the game.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:08 pm

We have 0 defense.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:09 pm

IMO, Illinois is going to be the most difficult out in the NCAA tournament. Between Cockburn in the paint and Dosunmo doing everything... man they play an entertaining brand of basketball. Even though they are ripping my favorite team apart.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:12 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Feb 20 4:08 pm
We have 0 defense.
Our two best defenders are hurt. Gabe didn't play at all and Robbins had 5-6 blocks before Illinois turned up the tempo so he couldn't hunker down in the post as they set up their offense.

Carr, Mashburn, and Williams have severe defensive deficiencies that are being exposed even more without Gabe.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Feb 20 4:13 pm

-32 @ 10:37.
Unbelievably bad hoops

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:13 pm

Illinois shooting 65% with 12 assists and zero turnovers the last 16 minutes. The ball movement on offense is so incredible.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Feb 20 4:19 pm

This has turned into a Harlem Globetrotters show.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:24 pm

An absolute slaughter from about the 4 minute mark in the first half on. Gophers had it within 3 and then Illinois just started flying.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Feb 20 4:25 pm

Plus side: Jamal Mashburn Jr. looks like he's going to be an absolute stud.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Feb 20 4:29 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Feb 20 4:25 pm
Sr just may insist that Jr transfer ASAP after seeing this chit show.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sat Feb 20 4:43 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sat Feb 20 4:29 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sat Feb 20 4:25 pm
Sr just may insist that Jr transfer ASAP after seeing this chit show.
Honestly I was thinking the same thing.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Sun Feb 21 9:17 am

Mashburn has been one of the worst players getting regular minutes in the Big Ten this year--including a really bad game yesterday. If he hit the Portal, I doubt his next move would be upwards.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 6:59 pm

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 25 8:47 pm

I just witnessed Mashburn drive to the net and drop in a nice layup from within the paint. It was glorious.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 25 9:13 pm

Northwestern is terrible. It’s unbelievable the Gophers are winning at half. Up by six but 1 of 12 from 3 point land. That’s 8.3%.
Need this win, I think an 0pher on the road Gophers are out of the tourney.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 9:22 pm

Losing to Northwestern at home would basically destroy their tournament chances barring two wins at least in the conference tournament.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 9:31 pm

1/15 from 3pt range. They have attempted 34 total shots. Just ridiculous.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Feb 25 9:38 pm

lol the Pitino farewell tour is a joke like his whole tenure
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 9:44 pm

Pitino should tell the team that the next guy who pulls up for a transition 3 instead of taking it to the hoop sits the rest of the game. 1/17 from 3.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Feb 25 9:44 pm

The very best this team can hope for is to make the tournament and not get blown out in the first round. I can’t remember ever seeing a team that shoots this poorly.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Feb 25 9:53 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Feb 25 9:44 pm
Pitino should tell the team that the next guy who pulls up for a transition 3 instead of taking it to the hoop sits the rest of the game. 1/17 from 3.
The offense is just three passes around the perimeter before backing up far enough to take a non-contested 3 about three feet behind the line.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 25 9:58 pm

Time for Lil Richie to go.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 25 10:06 pm

Remember when free throw shooting was out biggest issue? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 10:07 pm

Ridiculously bad loss tonight. Pathetic second half.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 25 10:11 pm

Classic Pitino 2nd half fade. Both half of game and season. Monson outperformed Pitino and he was the sanctioned coach (so I read). Blech.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Feb 25 10:17 pm

Party’s over
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 25 10:23 pm

Pitino has to be done. 54-93 in B1G play.
I like him like I liked Saunders but he’s just not able to put a complete season together.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Feb 25 10:41 pm

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Feb 26 8:32 am

I have to believe that Coyle has seen enough & already has a short list of his preferred candidates.
No. Ryan Saunders should not be on it.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri Feb 26 8:57 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Fri Feb 26 8:32 am
I have to believe that Coyle has seen enough & already has a short list of his preferred candidates.
No. Ryan Saunders should not be on it.
A name I've heard bounced around (no pun intended) is Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa.

Border Gopher
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Border Gopher » Fri Feb 26 9:20 am

Barring a miracle turnaround that gets them into the big dance and a win or two in it he has got to go. I don't have any replacements to throw out there, but just like with Tubby and Glen Mason you have got to aim higher. I don't think you can view it any other way when you see what Bucky is doing almost every year in football and basketball.
"A real man makes his own [puck] luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Feb 26 9:47 am

Firing Tubby - ugh I still dislike that move.

Border Gopher
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Border Gopher » Fri Feb 26 9:55 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Feb 26 9:47 am
Oh dear. The legendary Tubby couldn't even accomplish an over 500 record in the conference. Just like some football teams in the past he would beat up on non conference opponents, get everyone's hopes up, then disappoint when it counted. His last season was defined by that.
"A real man makes his own [puck] luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 26 10:20 am

Border Gopher wrote:
Fri Feb 26 9:55 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Feb 26 9:47 am
Oh dear. The legendary Tubby couldn't even accomplish an over 500 record in the conference. Just like some football teams in the past he would beat up on non conference opponents, get everyone's hopes up, then disappoint when it counted. His last season was defined by that.
And we've seen what improvement exactly since then?