Vikings 2020 season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Mar 08 10:29 am
Location: Sitting out 2017 season
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Dec 13 2:56 pm

The Vikings got away winning the last few close games. Not today. Cleveland and offensive line getting killed on that last drive. Feel good stat Cook got 100 yards rushing. yeah!

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 13 2:56 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:53 pm
team22tank wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:50 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:49 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:44 pm
You go for it. You either get a TD, or pin them (a la pooch punt). Better than giving it to them at the 30yd line.
They gave them a whole 7 extra yards by missing a FG instead of throwing an incomplete pass.
Rube is trying to hard to act like he knows what he is talking about.
Dan Bailey, today, is a sure miss. So you'd rather give TB 7 yards, rather than have a chance at scoring, or giving TB worse field position? Let the adults talk, and go sit in the corner, son.
He missed three kicks last week too and they had him kick a GW FG in overtime. Which he made. 🤷‍♂️
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10423
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 38

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by team22tank » Sun Dec 13 2:56 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:54 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:47 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:44 pm
You go for it. You either get a TD, or pin them (a la pooch punt). Better than giving it to them at the 30yd line.
Giving the Bucs really good field position has hurt almost as much as the missed FGs.
3 of Tampa's scoring drives have amassed 70+ yards.
Only the 54 yarder was questionable and offered up field position.
Last edited by team22tank on Sun Dec 13 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 13 2:58 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:54 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:53 pm
team22tank wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:50 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:49 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:44 pm
You go for it. You either get a TD, or pin them (a la pooch punt). Better than giving it to them at the 30yd line.
They gave them a whole 7 extra yards by missing a FG instead of throwing an incomplete pass.
Rube is trying to hard to act like he knows what he is talking about.
Dan Bailey, today, is a sure miss. So you'd rather give TB 7 yards, rather than have a chance at scoring, or giving TB worse field position? Let the adults talk, and go sit in the corner, son.
Bailey will be CUT on Monday ☝️
They won't cut him tomorrow unless they have somebody that can fly in tonight and workout tonight/tomorrow.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Dec 13 2:59 pm

The Vikings are who we thought they were. A mediocre team that beat Jax, Carolina, Detroit, Houston, Chicago and Green Bay. They beat 1 team with a winning record.

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10423
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 38

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by team22tank » Sun Dec 13 3:17 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:56 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:54 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:47 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:44 pm
You go for it. You either get a TD, or pin them (a la pooch punt). Better than giving it to them at the 30yd line.
Giving the Bucs really good field position has hurt almost as much as the missed FGs.
3 of Tampa's scoring drives have amassed 70+ yards.
Only the 54 yarder was questionable and offered up field position.
And the downs were 4/13 for the chip shot first miss, 4/15 for the 54 yarder and 4 and goal from the 28 (not 23).

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 13 3:18 pm

Regulation Losses with 39+ Minutes of Possession - This Season
Vikings 2
Rest of NFL 0

per Tweeter
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 13 3:20 pm

Dave Schwartz
@Dave_Schwartz
·
3m
Zimmer on how to handle Bailey after two tough games: "At this point and time you're not really worried about feelings anymore."
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 13 4:51 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Dec 13 2:59 pm
The Vikings are who we thought they were. A mediocre team that beat Jax, Carolina, Detroit, Houston, Chicago and Green Bay. They beat 1 team with a winning record.
Average team, average QB, average coach
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by fightclub30 » Sun Dec 13 6:24 pm

Dan Carlson kicking 92.3% this year... Just saying.

There has to be something going on with this coaching staffs attitude towards kickers. Something is going on beyond "our kicker sucks". I think our special teams coach sucks and our head coach doesn't do himself any favors with his handling of kickers

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8629
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 67 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by sunbone » Sun Dec 13 6:37 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Sun Dec 13 6:24 pm
Dan Carlson kicking 92.3% this year... Just saying.

There has to be something going on with this coaching staffs attitude towards kickers. Something is going on beyond "our kicker sucks". I think our special teams coach sucks and our head coach doesn't do himself any favors with his handling of kickers
The same Dan Carlson that Spielman traded up to draft and Zimmer cut after two games? :lol: Clowns.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6143
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Dec 14 7:20 am

sunbone wrote:
Sun Dec 13 6:37 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Sun Dec 13 6:24 pm
Dan Carlson kicking 92.3% this year... Just saying.

There has to be something going on with this coaching staffs attitude towards kickers. Something is going on beyond "our kicker sucks". I think our special teams coach sucks and our head coach doesn't do himself any favors with his handling of kickers
The same Dan Carlson that Spielman traded up to draft and Zimmer cut after two games? :lol: Clowns.
Bailey kicked well for the Vikings (until the past two weeks). But in light of that, Zimmer lack of patience with kickers, especially Dan Carlson, is haunting the Vikings now in embarrassing fashion.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6143
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Dec 14 7:30 am

Overall I think Zimmer is a good head coach (especially compared to most recently Childress & Frazier). But his time management skills are odd & sometimes atrocious. Vikings trailing by 9 with 35 seconds left in 3rd qtr after a nice downfield pass play, and despite the refs stopping the play clock briefly & then winding it with 15 seconds left, the Vikings let the clock run out for the 3rd qtr without snapping the ball. Can ANYBODY explain to me what Zimmer was thinking there?

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Dec 14 8:11 am

So if indeed Dan Bailey is cut today as posters have speculated, will his replacement have to quarantine?

Kickers, who don't play another position, are a breed on to themselves, in my experiance. Place kickers seem to be much worse than punters.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3228
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by D2D » Mon Dec 14 9:54 am

I saw that it's been 59 years since any kicker missed 3 FG's and an EP.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Dec 14 10:31 am

I understand the extra point has been moved back to the 15 yard line, but a 25 yard FG was always fairly automatic at the NFL level. What is going on with kickers league-wide?

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by gopher6 » Mon Dec 14 10:40 am

D2D wrote:
Mon Dec 14 9:54 am
I saw that it's been 59 years since any kicker missed 3 FG's and an EP.
Who was it?

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3228
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by D2D » Mon Dec 14 10:51 am

John Aveni for Washington in 1961.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 34

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Dec 14 11:11 am

Gotskowski missed 3 FG and an Extra Point in week 1 of this season, he just happened to nail his final kick with 17 seconds left to win 16-14 over Denver. So it has already happened to one established kicker this year, he just got one more chance than Bailey did so as not to tie that record as well.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7343
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Dec 14 2:28 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Dec 14 8:11 am
So if indeed Dan Bailey is cut today as posters have speculated, will his replacement have to quarantine?

Kickers, who don't play another position, are a breed on to themselves, in my experiance. Place kickers seem to be much worse than punters.

User avatar
Goldy77
Veteran
Posts: 1163
Joined: Wed Feb 01 10:06 am
Location: New Prague, MN
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 13 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Goldy77 » Mon Dec 14 6:01 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 13 1:16 pm
A That was PI. The slip and fall did happen, but there was interference. Right now, I put the deficit purely on coaching decisions. 7 points left on the field due to kicking (and potentially more points due to not going for it).....
I don’t know about that.

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8629
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 67 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by sunbone » Mon Dec 14 6:24 pm

I heard a stat today that Zimmer is 14-33 against teams that finished the season with a winning record. I think they said they projected which teams would have a winning record for this year. If accurate, not good.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11352
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times
Age: 46

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 15 5:43 am

sunbone wrote:
Mon Dec 14 6:24 pm
I heard a stat today that Zimmer is 14-33 against teams that finished the season with a winning record. I think they said they projected which teams would have a winning record for this year. If accurate, not good.
Not good enough to give you hope or bad enough to get high draft position.

I love watching them and still consider myself a big fan but I don’t have time to read and track everything about my teams like I used to do (pre-kids). Hasn’t Zim spent a fair amount of draft picks on defense over the years? How did we end up with rookie DBs this year?

The crew on Sunday seemed to praise this year’s draft class. Hopefully the pains of this COVID season will pay off next year with young experienced players.

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14457
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 53

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Dec 15 7:51 am

We end up with rookie CB's because we always seem to have injuries at that position. Always. And we let both our Vets go after last year.

Some of the positional personnel decisions have been bizarre.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Dec 15 7:52 am

He had 3 corners leave in FA.
Rhodes appeared to be all but done. He seemed to have lost a step & that is bad bad bad in a press / man situation & that is what Zim likes with the A gap blitzes.
Trey Waynes just never seemed to be a #1 cover corner.
The 3rd kid from Texas? I believe, was so memorable I can't remember his name.

Dantzler & Gladney have been getting better all year long. Even w/o Hunter the pass rush, at times, has been there. Wonnum appears to be a player but the thing I see is that they are missing that big body bull rush up the middle that collapses the pocket. DL MAKES your team D. No line = no D........kinda like the other side of the ball too.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17421
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 15 8:21 am

I believe they are starting 7 new players on defense almost all due to injuries and yet the defense has done fairly well at times. But you don't lose that many games played and expect to maintain the previous level of play. There are others more knowledgeable than I at tracking these things but the expected returns for next year should have them back in typical form.

But Zimmer's handling of the special teams and or the coaches he hires for it, clock management, lack of originality on offense and insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much. Zimmer makes a great DC but imho not a great HC.

Add in Spielman neglecting the OL, DL and refusal to draft a serious backup QB and his time should be past as well.

There arguments to keep them I get that but this is where I sit with them now.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6143
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Dec 15 8:29 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am


But Zimmer's handling of the special teams and or the coaches he hires for it, clock management, lack of originality on offense and insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much. Zimmer makes a great DC but A BETTER THAN AVERAGE but not a great HC.

Pretty much how I feel to the T

User avatar
hudr0004
Golden
Golden
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 17 1:37 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Been liked: 3 times
Age: 47

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by hudr0004 » Tue Dec 15 9:59 am

Would not have minded seeing this team with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce. To me this will be a very interesting offseason because the OL does finally have a couple of actual pieces in place. Can Spielman add 1 or 2 more bodies to finally give Cousins enough protection on a regular basis to use the offensive weapons they have.

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14457
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 53

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Dec 15 10:08 am

They could be really good next year if the injured defense comes back healthy and they keep what they have now. And have another good draft.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3228
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by D2D » Tue Dec 15 10:50 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:08 am
They could be really good next year if the injured defense comes back healthy and they keep what they have now. And have another good draft.
IF the injured defense comes back healthy, and
IF they keep what they have now, and
IF they have another good draft

Lots of "IF's"!
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17421
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 15 11:19 am

D2D wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:50 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:08 am
They could be really good next year if the injured defense comes back healthy and they keep what they have now. And have another good draft.
IF the injured defense comes back healthy, and
IF they keep what they have now, and
IF they have another good draft

Lots of "IF's"!
That's every team every off-season, but the Vikings of late have more often than not fielded a competitive roster. You can't plan for injuries of course but things they can control have typically been handled well.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 15 11:23 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Tue Dec 15 7:52 am
He had 3 corners leave in FA.
Rhodes appeared to be all but done. He seemed to have lost a step & that is bad bad bad in a press / man situation & that is what Zim likes with the A gap blitzes.
Trey Waynes just never seemed to be a #1 cover corner.
The 3rd kid from Texas? I believe, was so memorable I can't remember his name.

Dantzler & Gladney have been getting better all year long. Even w/o Hunter the pass rush, at times, has been there. Wonnum appears to be a player but the thing I see is that they are missing that big body bull rush up the middle that collapses the pocket. DL MAKES your team D. No line = no D........kinda like the other side of the ball too.
Mackenzie Alexander is from Clemson. He also signed with Cincy (Trae Waynes is a Bengal too).
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 15 11:29 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Dec 15 5:43 am
sunbone wrote:
Mon Dec 14 6:24 pm
I heard a stat today that Zimmer is 14-33 against teams that finished the season with a winning record. I think they said they projected which teams would have a winning record for this year. If accurate, not good.
Not good enough to give you hope or bad enough to get high draft position.

I love watching them and still consider myself a big fan but I don’t have time to read and track everything about my teams like I used to do (pre-kids). Hasn’t Zim spent a fair amount of draft picks on defense over the years? How did we end up with rookie DBs this year?

The crew on Sunday seemed to praise this year’s draft class. Hopefully the pains of this COVID season will pay off next year with young experienced players.
We ended up with such a young secondary because 1) Rhodes, Waynes, and Mack Alexander all left via free agency and 2) Mike Hughes got hurt again.

Dantzler and Gladney have improved dramatically throughout the year and I have high hopes for both. Mike Hughes has also played well when he's been healthy. Harrison Hand has flashed a bit but I'm not sure he'll ever be a full timer.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 15 11:37 am

hudr0004 wrote:
Tue Dec 15 9:59 am
Would not have minded seeing this team with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce. To me this will be a very interesting offseason because the OL does finally have a couple of actual pieces in place. Can Spielman add 1 or 2 more bodies to finally give Cousins enough protection on a regular basis to use the offensive weapons they have.
Agreed. A defensive line with Hunter, Pierce, Wonnum/Odenigbo/Mataafa/Johnson/Watts/Stephen/Lynch playing the other end spot and the under tackle... given how those guys have performed this season without the two best defensive linemen on the team has given me hope for a really strong DL next season.

The way Eric Wilson has played this season has been spectacular. Using him with Barr and Kendricks will be very good.

The big key will be what they do with Ant Harris. Can they work out a decent contract for him? Or do we have to find a replacement via draft/FA? Harrison Smith probably has 1-2 real good years left at most (he'll be 32 next year).

The OL with O'Neill and Cleveland at RG/RT has been very good. Rieff has been borderline great most of the season at LT. Bradbury seems to be improving (he still gets knocked back too often for my tastes but has been much better this season).
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14457
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 53

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Dec 15 1:07 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 11:19 am
D2D wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:50 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:08 am
They could be really good next year if the injured defense comes back healthy and they keep what they have now. And have another good draft.
IF the injured defense comes back healthy, and
IF they keep what they have now, and
IF they have another good draft

Lots of "IF's"!
That's every team every off-season, but the Vikings of late have more often than not fielded a competitive roster. You can't plan for injuries of course but things they can control have typically been handled well.
Yeah, every team has that and if they don't they know they're in the early stages or just starting a rebuild.

3 IF's isn't that bad. I'm a little worried about what they decide at the QB position. Their new receiver is so good let's not waste it. Kirk is ok/good enough if they get some more o-line help but they need something in the pipeline.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 15 9:46 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am
insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much.
You could just about insert any coach on this issue.

YOUR D WORKED ALL GAME. WHY CHANGE IT?
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7423
Joined: Wed Oct 26 4:21 pm
Location: The crease
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Dec 15 10:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 15 9:46 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am
insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much.
You could just about insert any coach on this issue.

YOUR D WORKED ALL GAME. WHY CHANGE IT?
THIS. With how much analytics have changed Coach's behavior (Going on Fourth Down and Two Point Conversions, to name two examples), I'd love to see comprehensive study of how well the Prevent approach actually works.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 15 10:31 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Tue Dec 15 10:29 pm
The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 15 9:46 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am
insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much.
You could just about insert any coach on this issue.

YOUR D WORKED ALL GAME. WHY CHANGE IT?
THIS. With how much analytics have changed Coach's behavior (Going on Fourth Down and Two Point Conversions, to name two examples), I'd love to see comprehensive study of how well the Prevent approach actually works.
Prevent D is the best worst D to ever come about.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5206
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by gopher6 » Wed Dec 16 10:09 am

Zimmer refuses to answer questions today at his press conference about the Queens kicking game

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JC65 » Wed Dec 16 1:11 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 15 9:46 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am
insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much.
You could just about insert any coach on this issue.

YOUR D WORKED ALL GAME. WHY CHANGE IT?
I get this, I really do. But on the offensive side of the ball you EXPECT the approach to change when behind late. The defense has to adjust as well.

edit: I'm not defending the "prevent" specifically, but pointing out that the "don't change anything!!!" approach is bad.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 16 9:14 pm

JC65 wrote:
Wed Dec 16 1:11 pm
The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 15 9:46 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Dec 15 8:21 am
insistence upon using prevent defenses with leads late in halves that have far too often allowed points is a bit too much.
You could just about insert any coach on this issue.

YOUR D WORKED ALL GAME. WHY CHANGE IT?
I get this, I really do. But on the offensive side of the ball you EXPECT the approach to change when behind late. The defense has to adjust as well.

edit: I'm not defending the "prevent" specifically, but pointing out that the "don't change anything!!!" approach is bad.
Small adjustments, sure. That goes for every facet of the game overall, and that could change on a single play. Rams had a "bend but don't break D" during the Greatest Show On Turf years. It worked. Baltimore had a "we will crush you" D during their Super Bowl run. They had to alter at times, but Prevent D overall? It just prevents wins.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 12:17 pm

That’s not a catch
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 20 12:19 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Dec 20 12:17 pm
That’s not a catch
I was very surprised they didn't overturn that. Usually with these field turf fields they'll look for the rubber chunks spraying up and there were none there.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 20 12:19 pm

Our coverage of passes in the flat is significantly worse without Kendricks.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 12:25 pm

Impressive drive there, liked the quick snap on the TD throw
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 12:32 pm

Jones looks terrible, get him out of there. The effort on that tackle was embarrassing and they are obviously targeting his side.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 12:42 pm

BY GAWD, KING, KIRK JUST GOT CUT IN HALF.

That was a vicious clothesline.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 20 12:51 pm

Bailey made a kick though!
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 20 12:55 pm

Since when is the referee allowed to stand over the ball until the play clock expires and then call a penalty...
JWG :M:

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 12:55 pm

These refs suck. Bad spot on the 3rd and short, wrong call on the offsides call on us, Bears got screwed on that delay of game.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 20 12:57 pm

Referee skill seems to be declining unilaterally. I’d agree on the offside call too.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20236
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Dec 20 12:58 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Dec 20 12:55 pm
Since when is the referee allowed to stand over the ball until the play clock expires and then call a penalty...
December 20, 2020, apparently. :mrgreen:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:05 pm

Cousins has to lead the league in balls tipped at the line of scrimmage. How hard is it to throw in lanes between lineman? It’s basic QB technique.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20236
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times
Age: 54

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Dec 20 1:06 pm

I'm thinking that play did not fool the Bears defense.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 20 1:07 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Dec 20 1:06 pm
I'm thinking that play did not fool the Bears defense.
The planned fake punt or the run? Or both?
JWG :M:

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:08 pm

I don’t have a problem with going for it there when you have Dalvin Cook but not when you call a basic predictable run play and then don’t block it at all. He would have had to break 3 tackles just to get back to the line of scrimmage
Last edited by Bigbeer on Sun Dec 20 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Butters Stotch
Rookie
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:20 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Butters Stotch » Sun Dec 20 1:10 pm

Is it too late to Tank for Trevor?

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:10 pm

Trubisky looking very effficient
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:12 pm

We got lucky, def should have been holding on Jones on the 2nd down pass
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:28 pm

Smith has to make that catch
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 1:29 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Dec 20 1:28 pm
Smith has to make that catch
Kirk should have ran that. And got away with the line of scrimmage penalty IMO
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:31 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 20 1:29 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Dec 20 1:28 pm
Smith has to make that catch
Kirk should have ran that. And got away with the line of scrimmage penalty IMO
Looked like he was def all the way across the line but I’m not sure if they can look at that on a scoring replay.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 1:51 pm

Kimberley A. Martin
@ByKimberleyA
· 3h
#Vikings RB @dalvincook told me he + @KingHenry_2 text each other often about the rushing title race. After Henry rushed for 215 last week, Cook texted Henry and said, “Just slow down a little bit for me. Let me ease back into the race.”
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 1:52 pm

Refs f’d up the play clock again, are these guys new?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 1:58 pm

That was sooooooo close. Smith wants that one back.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 2:19 pm

Why is Jennings rambling on about what great play calling it is for CHI to keep running the ball with a lead?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 20 2:20 pm

For two teams usually known for better defense than offense....
JWG :M:

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 2:21 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Dec 20 2:20 pm
For two teams usually known for better defense than offense....
The defenses have been embarrassing today.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10423
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 38

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by team22tank » Sun Dec 20 2:29 pm

Cousins throw it at your RBs feet when he is 6 feet from you.

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 2:30 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Dec 20 2:21 pm
JWG wrote:
Sun Dec 20 2:20 pm
For two teams usually known for better defense than offense....
The defenses have been embarrassing today.
You have to hand it to our O, Cousins and play calling. They have looked prettY good against the best front 7 in the league. When this offense has Cook, Smith, Jefferson and Thielen they are a lot to deal with.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32752
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 20 2:33 pm

And just like that, the impressive RAC. TD.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 2:45 pm

Jones sucks
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29559
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 244 times
Age: 33

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Beauner » Sun Dec 20 2:48 pm

What a great great read by Dantzler!!
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8140
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 20 2:49 pm

That was a horrific throw.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 8053
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Vikings 2020 season

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Dec 20 2:50 pm

You cannot go 3 & out here
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Post Reply