2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Thu Sep 19 8:49 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Sep 19 8:38 pm
J22 wrote:
Thu Sep 19 8:33 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Sep 19 8:11 pm
Did they get rid of the hamburgler? Lol

I thought kurkoven had a hell of a year last year for the babys, maybe flip flop him and stalock...someone is going to need to be the heir to boobnyk
Yes, Hammond is gone. Kahkonen started great in Iowa but faded as the season wore on. IMO- Kahkonen should be starting the season getting the majority of starts in Iowa with Stalock backing him up. Robson should be playing everyday in the ECHL.
Can't remember, do we have an echl affiliate? We have the Everblades here in ft Myers and I think they are the Carolina hurricanes
The Allen Americans in Texas

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 20 11:49 am

With Koivu coming back from injury and in the last year of his contract, does he automatically slide right back into a top six slot?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 20 11:52 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Sep 20 11:49 am
With Koivu coming back from injury and in the last year of his contract, does he automatically slide right back into a top six slot?
Not from what I've heard.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 20 11:56 am

Thoughts on Nico Sturm. I really like his size, and especially his compete level. He does not seem to back down from anything.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 20 12:01 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Sep 20 11:56 am
Thoughts on Nico Sturm. I really like his size, and especially his compete level. He does not seem to back down from anything.
With no true high end players they truly do have a lot in the middle. Which players get to stay up and play and which ones don't are going to be interesting. With Rask making what he makes and Sturm able to be sent to Iowa, I expect him to be in Iowa. Even though Sturm is already better than Rask.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Sep 20 12:08 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Sep 20 11:49 am
Don't know what you mean by automatically, but looking at the roster, the answer is a pretty easy yes.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Sep 20 12:09 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 20 12:01 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
With no true high end players they truly do have a lot in the middle. Which players get to stay up and play and which ones don't are going to be interesting. With Rask making what he makes and Sturm able to be sent to Iowa, I expect him to be in Iowa. Even though Sturm is already better than Rask.
If Boudreau is going to play Donato at center then there's only room in the lineup for 1 of Eriksson Ek, Rask, or Sturm.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 20 12:20 pm

J22 wrote:
Fri Sep 20 12:09 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
If Boudreau is going to play Donato at center then there's only room in the lineup for 1 of Eriksson Ek, Rask, or Sturm.
Donato will need to improve on face offs. I see him back on the wing. Yea Rask does nothing for me.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 20 12:31 pm

J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Him trying Donato at center goes straight to the heart of the problem with the Wild. They have a lot of good pieces. The problem is the pieces do not fit together. At all.

If Donata plays center Sturm goes to Iowa, Ek is your 4th center, and Rask is your healthy scratch to start the season.

EDIT: I see Fiala only missed two weeks of camp. That won't screw anything up or anything with this lineup.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 20 2:06 pm

][/img]

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by team22tank » Sat Sep 21 11:58 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 20 12:31 pm
J22 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Him trying Donato at center goes straight to the heart of the problem with the Wild. They have a lot of good pieces. The problem is the pieces do not fit together. At all.

If Donata plays center Sturm goes to Iowa, Ek is your 4th center, and Rask is your healthy scratch to start the season.

EDIT: I see Fiala only missed two weeks of camp. That won't screw anything up or anything with this lineup.
Fiala arrived and practiced today and reportedly is in great shape.

He missed one week not two.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 24 2:15 pm

I'm shocked.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 25 8:17 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Sep 24 2:15 pm

I'm shocked.
Donate isn’t quick enough or strong enough to play center at this point (we all knew that). I’d have Kunin at C on the 2nd line & Mikko on the 3rd...but Bruce loves him some Mikko...

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Sep 25 9:42 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 25 8:17 am
Donate isn’t quick enough or strong enough to play center at this point (we all knew that). I’d have Kunin at C on the 2nd line & Mikko on the 3rd...but Bruce loves him some Mikko...
He's also said that Ek has come into camp showing that he has trained harder than just about anyone. I'm thinking with BB in the last year of his deal that he'll make the best decisions for this year's team.
Boudreau said Eriksson Ek passed the team's bike test with flying colors, finishing 20 seconds faster than anyone else.

With as many as five centers competing for four spots at the center position, Eriksson Ek has a clear physical advantage over those he'll be battling for ice time with.

"I don't want to pigeon hole him into the fourth-line center," Boudreau said. "If he's better than the guys up top, then he's going to play in that situation. He's proven he can play, and it's his time, I think, right now to start to shine. He's in great shape and I expect him to come out and fight for every bit of ice time that he's gonna get."

With Koivu being eased into things and Eriksson Ek in tremendous shape, that could open a door for the latter to make an early push for a spot in the team's top-9.

But Boudreau said don't count the captain out so soon.

"It usually all sorts itself out, but you have to look at the body of work they've done in the past," Boudreau said. "But if you know Mikko, you guys have been doing this a long time, Mikko is going to fight for every bit of ice time that he gets. He's a proud guy, he's our captain and he's our leader, so I anticipate him to come out here and defy people to be better than him."
Listening to Judd/Declan Hockey Show the other day, they talked about not making Donato, Greenway, Kunin, Sturm, Ek, etc. have to earn their stripes by playing in the AHL. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting those guys in the NHL when they're ready, but the NHL isn't a development league. If the young players are just going to fail in top six roles, then they're not going to develop. Putting them in the AHL is placing them in a position where they'll experience success--at least you hope they do.

Ek is only 22 years old... probably would have been better for him to be a top six player in Farjestad or Iowa for a while rather than playing 3rd and 4th line for the Wild the past three years. Guys start to play the way their role positions them and then they're pigeon-holed the rest of their career.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Sep 25 10:18 am

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 25 9:42 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 25 8:17 am
He's also said that Ek has come into camp showing that he has trained harder than just about anyone. I'm thinking with BB in the last year of his deal that he'll make the best decisions for this year's team.
Boudreau said Eriksson Ek passed the team's bike test with flying colors, finishing 20 seconds faster than anyone else.

With as many as five centers competing for four spots at the center position, Eriksson Ek has a clear physical advantage over those he'll be battling for ice time with.

"I don't want to pigeon hole him into the fourth-line center," Boudreau said. "If he's better than the guys up top, then he's going to play in that situation. He's proven he can play, and it's his time, I think, right now to start to shine. He's in great shape and I expect him to come out and fight for every bit of ice time that he's gonna get."

With Koivu being eased into things and Eriksson Ek in tremendous shape, that could open a door for the latter to make an early push for a spot in the team's top-9.

But Boudreau said don't count the captain out so soon.

"It usually all sorts itself out, but you have to look at the body of work they've done in the past," Boudreau said. "But if you know Mikko, you guys have been doing this a long time, Mikko is going to fight for every bit of ice time that he gets. He's a proud guy, he's our captain and he's our leader, so I anticipate him to come out here and defy people to be better than him."
Listening to Judd/Declan Hockey Show the other day, they talked about not making Donato, Greenway, Kunin, Sturm, Ek, etc. have to earn their stripes by playing in the AHL. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting those guys in the NHL when they're ready, but the NHL isn't a development league. If the young players are just going to fail in top six roles, then they're not going to develop. Putting them in the AHL is placing them in a position where they'll experience success--at least you hope they do.

Ek is only 22 years old... probably would have been better for him to be a top six player in Farjestad or Iowa for a while rather than playing 3rd and 4th line for the Wild the past three years. Guys start to play the way their role positions them and then they're pigeon-holed the rest of their career.
In regards to the part I highlighted, this wasn't about "not making" them earn their strips. This was about an organization that gave away to many draft picks and the ones that they had, especially rounds 3 and Up didn't do that great of a job finding talent. A very slim prospect pool meant filling out the roster with guys that are capable of playing in the NHL right now but could have been better developed and more rounded.

That crew listed skipped the AHL because the Wild had no other choice. Yes, Erickson Ek should have been playing in the AHL as a 20 and 21 year old, playing on 2-3 PP a night, in a top 6 role scoring points and learning how to "Master" the AHL. If everything went well year 2 would be an improvement from year 1. You then have a well developed prospect who should transition into the NHL.

Really the same thing happened with Coyle, Granlund and to a lesser extent Zucker, although Zucker did have to go to Houston because he was so awful in the NHL.

The last crazy GM we had for a year liked to draft (he just wasn't nice enough over at the Family Resort) and hopefully Guerin does as well. A lot of this can be avoided in the future.

This is what an AHL team should look like. Top 5 scores, 4 in their very early 20s. 6 in the top 10. Now when they have to pluck a guy or two to help the NHL roster they have a confident, young but mature proven AHL player who should transition into the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0026122019.html

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Wed Sep 25 10:20 am

Also ICYMI, great couple paragraphs from Justin Bourne about how wingers take a lot of flak sometimes on under-performing teams.

$ - https://theathletic.com/1224846/2019/09 ... s-is-hard/
But boy, as a winger on an ass team, is it ever hard to do anything about it when your team is standing around in your own zone a lot. You’re mostly just taking up space and directing traffic, as opposed to being involved in actual battles and trying to get the puck back. You feel like you barely get to even play hockey. Breakout passes come late, and possessions die before you can get a touch, so it’s tough to do much of anything. I remember feeling that, for large parts of games and for that year, I desperately wanted to do more, I just couldn’t because I was so rarely involved. It makes you press on offence too, because you never know when you’re going to get your next touch. I finished that season with five goals and 13 points, which would be even more pathetic were it not two points off the team lead.
Centers and defensemen are so key to getting your team going. Lots of blame can be pushed towards guys like Zucker or Kessel, but it's hard to even look at those guys as players who drive play. They're guys who finish play and benefit or suffer based on the players around them. There are some excpetions... if wingers can't win battles along the wall, it's hard to breakout of the defensive zone or maintain possession in the offensive zone. If wingers don't know how to create offense off the rush or cycle, then they're just taking up space.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Sep 25 12:00 pm

Yeah, but the Wild don't have issues generating scoring chances. They don't have issues driving puck possession for the most part. Their forwards just can't bend the twine. Zucker if he gets back to normal should have a good year this year cause last year he was historically low in shooting percentage.

They're such an odd team cause the goalie gives up low percentage shots and the forwards can't score on high percentage shots. That's what makes them frustrating and maddening to watch most of the time. If they could get those two things to "normal" ranges they could have a very good year. Then it will depend on if once, just once, they could get a Playoff Series level performance out of Dubnyk in goal.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Wed Sep 25 12:15 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 25 10:20 am
Also ICYMI, great couple paragraphs from Justin Bourne about how wingers take a lot of flak sometimes on under-performing teams.

But boy, as a winger on an ass team, is it ever hard to do anything about it when your team is standing around in your own zone a lot. You’re mostly just taking up space and directing traffic, as opposed to being involved in actual battles and trying to get the puck back. You feel like you barely get to even play hockey. Breakout passes come late, and possessions die before you can get a touch, so it’s tough to do much of anything. I remember feeling that, for large parts of games and for that year, I desperately wanted to do more, I just couldn’t because I was so rarely involved. It makes you press on offence too, because you never know when you’re going to get your next touch. I finished that season with five goals and 13 points, which would be even more pathetic were it not two points off the team lead.
Centers and defensemen are so key to getting your team going. Lots of blame can be pushed towards guys like Zucker or Kessel, but it's hard to even look at those guys as players who drive play. They're guys who finish play and benefit or suffer based on the players around them. There are some excpetions... if wingers can't win battles along the wall, it's hard to breakout of the defensive zone or maintain possession in the offensive zone. If wingers don't know how to create offense off the rush or cycle, then they're just taking up space.
None of what Bourne is talking about really applies to the Wild. Their problems are not in their own zone.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Wed Sep 25 12:21 pm

J22 wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:15 pm
Vegoe wrote:

None of what Bourne is talking about really applies to the Wild. Their problems are not in their own zone.
I've seen so much talk about how Vanek and Kessel are terrible defensive players over the years, thought it was worth sharing. Sorry to waste your message board time.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Sep 25 12:28 pm

We're all just wasting the hockey genius's time on here.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Wed Sep 25 12:31 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:21 pm
J22 wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

I've seen so much talk about how Vanek and Kessel are terrible defensive players over the years, thought it was worth sharing. Sorry to waste your message board time.
Sorry for trying to add discussion to your post.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Sep 25 2:55 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:00 pm
Yeah, but the Wild don't have issues generating scoring chances. They don't have issues driving puck possession for the most part. Their forwards just can't bend the twine. Zucker if he gets back to normal should have a good year this year cause last year he was historically low in shooting percentage.

They're such an odd team cause the goalie gives up low percentage shots and the forwards can't score on high percentage shots. That's what makes them frustrating and maddening to watch most of the time. If they could get those two things to "normal" ranges they could have a very good year. Then it will depend on if once, just once, they could get a Playoff Series level performance out of Dubnyk in goal.
Right on the money Scoob!
Rask to center Zucker and Fiala tomorrow in Dallas.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 26 2:27 pm

Currently under construction.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 26 2:32 pm

Thanks Fenton for the 4 million dollar boat anchor.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Thu Sep 26 4:53 pm

So in a vaccum... which of these guys would you want the most?

CAR-Martin Necas, ARZ-Barrett Hayton, BUF-Dylan Cozens, FLA-Henrik Borgstrom, LV-Cody Glass, MON-Nick Suzuki and PHI-Morgan Frost.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Thu Sep 26 5:26 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 26 4:53 pm

CAR-Martin Necas, ARZ-Barrett Hayton, BUF-Dylan Cozens, FLA-Henrik Borgstrom, LV-Cody Glass, MON-Nick Suzuki and PHI-Morgan Frost.
Glass
Frost
Hayton
Borgstrom
Cozens
Necas
Suzuki

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Thu Sep 26 6:51 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 26 4:53 pm

glass

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 26 6:53 pm

I agree with everyone so far. Glass.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Sep 27 5:37 am

J22 wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:31 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:21 pm
J22 wrote:
Vegoe wrote:

Sorry for trying to add discussion to your post.
It’s tact.

You frequently state your opinions as facts. And you treat other people’s opinions and facts and you’re not afraid to let them know those “facts” are wrong.

How about try.... “I actually think the Wild do fairly well in their own end. Players X, Y, and Z have really improved ...... I think our biggest issue is ......”

One of these options is going to rub people the wrong way and the other will generally be welcomed.

Tact.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 27 11:11 am

Thoughts on the Wilds preseason game in Dallas last night.

I thought the Wild played really well against the Stars minus Benn and Klingberg. The Erickson-Ek/ Foligno / Greenway line was good all night.
Dubnyk played solid except for one epic turnover that should have ended up in the back of the net, but went of a Dallas skate into the corner.
Fiala is a turnover machine. Parise hasn't been noticeable all preseason. The Wilds D-men all played really well including Soucy and Delpedio.
Koivo was solid on faceoffs and the penalty kill, but looked a step behind on line rushes.

Erickson-Ek deserves some PP time and top 6 minutes as does Greenway. Those guys are bustin their butts out there.
Who will the Wild keep between Rask, Sturm, Brown, Stafford and Mayhew?

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Sep 27 11:28 am

It just seems that Rask is going to continually get a pass since he is a $4M a year player and they aren't going to spend that on a player in the AHL. I don't think there has been a more obvious choice for a buyout for the Wild since the inception of this team. Put me in the preposterous statement tournament for saying that but I think Guerin and Boudreau would take Vanek or Ennis back instead of the hack that Rask is.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 11:34 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Sep 27 11:28 am
It just seems that Rask is going to continually get a pass since he is a $4M a year player and they aren't going to spend that on a player in the AHL. I don't think there has been a more obvious choice for a buyout for the Wild since the inception of this team. Put me in the preposterous statement tournament for saying that but I think Guerin and Boudreau would take Vanek or Ennis back instead of the hack that Rask is.
I would.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Fri Sep 27 12:19 pm

I never thought buying out Vanek was a great move... talk about a winger who was a press box/message board scapegoat. He added a dimension in the offensive zone that few players brought. He's not a great skater, but his hand eye for plays around the net was still there. Also he was playing with kids who seemed to never anticiapte the play which lead to limited zone time. As long as you protected him with a center that could get up and down the ice, and another winger who could win puck battles... you'd be all right.

Seems like you don't want to waste a 13th spot on someone who should be playing like Sturm or Mayhew. Got a feeling that Brown hasn't done himself any favors with how last year ended in Dallas and coming into camp not passing the conditioning test. Stafford is a vet who could probably handle being an extra most nights too.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Sep 27 1:11 pm

I wish they would/could keep Sturm and Mayhew up here but I totally get why they are in Iowa. No waivers needed and they deserve to be playing rather than being a player rotated in and out of the line up every game.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 27 1:12 pm

Per Russo
Mayhew and Sturm to Iowa.
Stafford released.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 1:22 pm

Stafford couldn't even go to Iowa cause they have too many vets there (some rule apparently). They have so little roster flexibility it's silly. Nothing like a 4 million dollar a year paper weight roster spot.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Sep 27 3:13 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 27 1:22 pm
Stafford couldn't even go to Iowa cause they have too many vets there (some rule apparently). They have so little roster flexibility it's silly. Nothing like a 4 million dollar a year paper weight roster spot.
I doubt that Stafford was even willing to go to Iowa. What are you talking about not having roster flexibility?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 3:19 pm

J22 wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:13 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
I doubt that Stafford was even willing to go to Iowa. What are you talking about not having roster flexibility?
Serious glut of forwards, that's what. And not one high ender in the bunch. And they desperately need a center and they have one and he's a 4 million dollar paper weight. That reeks or rigidity in my eyes.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Sep 27 3:20 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Sep 27 1:11 pm
I wish they would/could keep Sturm and Mayhew up here but I totally get why they are in Iowa. No waivers needed and they deserve to be playing rather than being a player rotated in and out of the line up every game.
As of right now the Wild Top 12 is very locked in, we might see different line combos, ect. But there isn’t any doubt who the 12 are. So if they are healthy no reason at all to have Sturm or Mayhew sitting in the press box.

Especially Sturm who is new to Pro Hockey, he can go play a ton of 5on5, PP, PK.

In the event there is a injury or someone just isn’t cutting it, it is so easy to make call ups from Iowa and you can bet those two will leap frog Brown and Rask when that time comes.

If things are rolling along let Rask and Brown collect dust.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 3:21 pm

Brown will not see any icetime in the NHL this year. Rask will be sitting in the press box collecting 4 million dollars.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Sep 27 3:23 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:19 pm
J22 wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:13 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Serious glut of forwards, that's what. And not one high ender in the bunch. And they desperately need a center and they have one and he's a 4 million dollar paper weight. That reeks or rigidity in my eyes.
Not sure what your last post has anything to do with your original one?

In regards to Stafford do you really think he would have moved the needle collecting dust over Rask or Brown?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Sep 27 3:24 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:21 pm
Brown will not see any icetime in the NHL this year. Rask will be sitting in the press box collecting 4 million dollars.
Those are both good things in me eyes. That both play as little as possible.

Is it now a concern of yours where Money Bags, money goes?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 3:29 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:24 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Sep 27 3:21 pm
Those are both good things in me eyes. That both play as little as possible.

Is it now a concern of yours where Money Bags, money goes?
Of course money is a concern. There are holes on this roster that that money could have been used for.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Sep 27 4:17 pm

Wild lines:

Zucker-Staal-Fiala
Parise-Kunin-Zuccarello
Donato-Koivu-Hartman
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Greenway

I would flip-flop Parise and Donato.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Sep 27 4:26 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Sep 27 4:17 pm
Wild lines:

Zucker-Staal-Fiala
Parise-Kunin-Zuccarello
Donato-Koivu-Hartman
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Greenway

I would flip-flop Parise and Donato.
I think that's a good line up. I'd equal out the playing time and roll 4.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sat Sep 28 10:30 am

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 28 3:43 pm

IA Wild are playing a game at the Ralph? Impossible to support them haha
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Sep 30 4:56 am

Wild lose in OT again 5-4. 2nd time this year Dumba on the ice for opponents game winner. Fiala with the turnover. Dubnyk terrible again after good game in Dallas.
Donato looked good back at wing.
Haven’t seen anything yet that makes me think that this will be a playoff team. Guerin needs to address the goaltending situation ASAP.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Sep 30 8:00 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Sep 30 4:56 am
Wild lose in OT again 5-4. 2nd time this year Dumba on the ice for opponents game winner. Fiala with the turnover. Dubnyk terrible again after good game in Dallas.
Haven’t seen anything yet that makes me think that this will be a playoff team. Guerin needs to address the goaltending situation ASAP.
A lot of similar themes. They either can't clean, cover them up, or they just don't want to clean them up.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Sep 30 8:38 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Sep 30 8:00 am
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
A lot of similar themes. They either can't clean, cover them up, or they just don't want to clean them up.
Boudreau talked in his post game presser about not putting certain players on the ice for 3 on 3 OT. On D I would roll Surgeon, Brodin and Suter. I wouldl be really surprised if you see Fiala on the ice in OT anytime soon.
Last edited by Grovetown Scotty on Mon Sep 30 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Sep 30 8:41 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Sep 30 8:38 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Boudreau talked in post game presser about not putting certain players on the ice for 3 on 3 OT. On D I would roll Surgeon, Brodin and Suter. I wouldl be really surprised if you see Fiala on the ice in OT anytime soon.
Awesome. So, the guy they traded their best tradeable asset away for can't be on the ice for 3-3 OT? And, is a turnover machine in general? Turnover machine does not work well in this particular system from what I can tell?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 30 10:33 am

Scooby haven't you run out of swords yet?

:ahhh: :wink:
Currently under construction.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Sep 30 1:20 pm

NEWS: #MNWild assigns defenseman Louie Belpedio to the
Iowa Wild and placed forward J.T. Brown on waivers. Brown will be assigned to Iowa tomorrow if he clears waivers.
Appears Hunt will play and Soucy will be the extra D according to what I heard. If Hunt was still out it's likely they would have kept the right shot Belpedio over Soucy.

Not sorry to see Brown get sent down.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Sep 30 6:59 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Sep 30 8:41 am
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Sep 30 8:38 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Boudreau talked in post game presser about not putting certain players on the ice for 3 on 3 OT. On D I would roll Surgeon, Brodin and Suter. I wouldl be really surprised if you see Fiala on the ice in OT anytime soon.
Awesome. So, the guy they traded their best tradeable asset away for can't be on the ice for 3-3 OT? And, is a turnover machine in general? Turnover machine does not work well in this particular system from what I can tell?
Are you running with a post from someone that wouldn’t play Dumba in OT as credible?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 10:16 am

https://theathletic.com/podcast/102-str ... ?episode=2

New podcast from Russo he's just starting. Think it might be behind The Athletic Paywall but a lot of us subscribe. Does a long interview with Bruce Boudreau for the first episode. Bruce is fun to listen to and reminds me a lot of Woog with all the great stories. Lotta optimism for this team this year. My (4) or (5) things that I think need to happen haven't changed at all. Just praying I'm wrong about Fiala.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Oct 01 10:30 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01 10:16 am

New podcast from Russo he's just starting. Think it might be behind The Athletic Paywall but a lot of us subscribe. Does a long interview with Bruce Boudreau for the first episode. Bruce is fun to listen to and reminds me a lot of Woog with all the great stories. Lotta optimism for this team this year. My (4) or (5) things that I think need to happen haven't changed at all. Just praying I'm wrong about Fiala.
In regards to Fiala

https://themorningpuck.com/line-combina ... esota-wild

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 10:41 am

team22tank wrote:
Tue Oct 01 10:30 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:

In regards to Fiala

:confused2:

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Oct 01 12:09 pm

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
New #mnwild lines likely for opening night

Parise-Staal-Zuccarello
Zucker-Koivu-Fiala
Donato-Kunin-Greenway
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Hartman

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Oct 01 12:10 pm

Pateryn out 6 weeks

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 1:13 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 01 12:09 pm
Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
New #mnwild lines likely for opening night

Parise-Staal-Zuccarello
Zucker-Koivu-Fiala
Donato-Kunin-Greenway
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Hartman
Don't like it.

Zucker-Staal-Zuccarello
Parise-Koivu-Fiala
Donato-Kunin-Hartman
Foligno-Eriksson Greenway

This is the way it should be.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Tue Oct 01 1:26 pm

Bilateral core muscle -- is that the Mauer injury?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Oct 01 1:56 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01 10:41 am
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

In regards to Fiala

For the fans making a call on a 22 year old after 19 games.

He showed up last, after a number of in season moves. Dumba, Koivu were out and Parise missed 8 games. Who excelled anyway the last 19 games?

If you follow the link, you can view the lineup for the last 9 games. 7 of those he was on an entirely different line each time. The story was the same for all 19.

His Center the most was Rask.

His turnovers aren’t due to a guy that can’t hang onto the puck or is easily knocked off of it. He rates “Elite” in offensive zone passing and also in taking the puck thru the neutral zone, zone entries.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 2:06 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Oct 01 1:56 pm
His turnovers aren’t due to a guy that can’t hang onto the puck or is easily knocked off of it. He rates “Elite” in offensive zone passing and also in taking the puck thru the neutral zone, zone entries.
Good. I 100% hope you are correct. :dup:

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Oct 01 2:10 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01 2:06 pm
team22tank wrote:
Good. I 100% hope you are correct. :dup:
Me too. We could use a goal scorer and playmaker combo.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Oct 01 2:24 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Oct 01 1:26 pm
Bilateral core muscle -- is that the Mauer injury?
Mauer's malady was bilateral leg weakness. Diagnosed by Dr. Summeroff.
I'm not a doctor but I think that's a sports hernia.
Last edited by Grovetown Scotty on Tue Oct 01 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Oct 01 2:29 pm

team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

In regards to Fiala

He showed up last, after a number of in season moves. Dumba, Koivu were out and Parise missed 8 games. Who excelled anyway the last 19 games?

If you follow the link, you can view the lineup for the last 9 games. 7 of those he was on an entirely different line each time. The story was the same for all 19.

I see him turn the puck over quite a bit. I am not saying he's going to do it his whole career. I am sure Boudreau has had a chat with him about it.
Erickson Ek on the 4th line after having a great pre-season

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 2:36 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 01 2:29 pm
I see him turn the puck over quite a bit. I am not saying he's going to do it his whole career. I am sure Boudreau has had a chat with him about it.
They don't really have a fourth line. Lines 3 and 4 will get about equal playing time and line 4 will have closer playing time to line 1 on the Wild than on most teams.

If that line rolls, which I think it can and can keep up with lines 2 and 3 of other teams they should be able to dictate some matchups even on the road.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Oct 01 2:48 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 01 2:29 pm
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

In regards to Fiala

He was probably making passes he shouldn’t have last year given the circumstances. But I’m also not a fan of telling a skilled player not to make passes because your line mates suck.

Pavol Datsyuk turned over the puck a lot early in his career. The Wings were loaded with Vet talent and they kept telling him don’t change your game, they knew how good he was going to be.

All I am saying now that there is actually a team in place and their will be lines and he will see minutes, let’s see how he does. The last 19 games were hardly ideal for the Wild last year not just Fiala.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 3:29 pm

Lou Nanne - "Wild have the best 4th line in the league."

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Oct 01 3:59 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01 3:29 pm
I didn't think Ramsey and Romenko were on the Wild :mrgreen:

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Tue Oct 01 4:19 pm

There are two sides to zone exists/zone entries... the analytic people love players who can do it. Fiala has been especially good at power play zone entries--which Granlund was pretty good at as well, but not as good as Fiala.

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2018/3/8 ... es-success

The flip side is that zone entry and zone exits with control are only valuable if you can do them without giving rush scoring chances the other way. I cannot find the analysis today, but someone broke down advanced stats on the number of rush scoring chances created/allowed, which showed some teams like Chicago on top of rush scoring chances, but basically allowing the most against. Then it looked at St. Louis creating some of the least number of rush scoring chances, but also giving up the least. The analysis hypothesized the two were related to zone entries vs dump & chase hockey.

Made some sense to me... but basically have to find a balance about being creative with the puck at the right time. Something that Fiala needs to learn to become more than just a valuable prospect.

If anyone finds the St. Louis Blues stuff, I'd like a refresh as I can't find it today.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Oct 01 4:39 pm

Or if you have nothing get the puck deep.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Oct 01 4:58 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 01 4:39 pm
That's a turnover

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Oct 01 5:10 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Oct 01 3:59 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01 3:29 pm
I didn't think Ramsey and Romenko were on the Wild :mrgreen:
LOL 😂

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 01 5:44 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Oct 01 4:58 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Oct 01 4:39 pm
That's a turnover
Analytically better than any turnover at either blueline correct?